The Official Android thread.

I read on message forums that they're replacing Droid 1s w/Droid 2's. I also read that people dislike the crap on the Droid 2.

So....I went ahead and called big red to get my D2 shipped to me tomorrow (said my space bar was malfunctioning) and when I get it...I'm going to root it to take off the crap I don't want

ah you guys are correct; I should have clarified that I only consider phones with the slide-out keyboard. But you have a good point that the processor could perform better even at a lower speed.. Its been that way with computer chips for years.

I could technically upgrade right now as my contract is up with tmo, but I may just let both lines expire and get a good deal in 6 months.

Does Verizon usually refund the cost of activation? I just paid my bill online and the amount it showed was less than my paper statement. I went ahead and paid the higher amount on the paper bill and the difference was exactly $35, the price of activation. So now my account is -$35.

Tried out an epic and it was super nice.. Screen slightly smaller than my Evo but colors were nicer. Also felt light and kb was nice.

Not enough to sway me from ditching the Evo though.. I can wait till its successor.

That makes me sad :cry: I bought my Evo last week.

I must say coming over from the IPhone I am definitely happy with my transition.

I got a "rimshot" app and a "Bleep!" app that is set up to be a widget. Then I got a "whoopie cushion" app that can be setup to go off by timer or motion sensor. All free, great fucking stuff. LOL

[quote name='SantosGoCrazy']That makes me sad :cry: I bought my Evo last week.

I must say coming over from the IPhone I am definitely happy with my transition.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sendme']Well that sucks. I got mine august 21st and after everything paid over 300. Wish I would have held off and just used what was left on my prepaid.[/QUOTE]

I think it would have been tough to predict. I've been researching for the past few months and I don't recall seeing the EVO go that low.

Hey Linkin, that OCLF thing I mentioned earlier apparently doesn't work on the Fascinate or Epic, just the Vibrant and Captivate, at least the rooting part of it anyway. Still not hard to do though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing I haven't done it. I'm going to wait for 2.2 to see how my phone acts afterwards. I really haven't found a reason to root. I got everything I want, SNES/NES/GBA/Genesis emulator, and I can watch DiVX on my phone without additional software!

Well the reason I want to is for the lag fix, which can be easy or more difficult depending on which way you do it. I've noticed lag on mine quite a bit, and it's all because of the shitty file system being used, they didn't use the more efficient ext4 file system like they should have.

I didn't have my hopes up. Then again, it always seems to take while for these updates to get out, regardless of phone and carrier. A friend of mine with the Droid X was complaining until they finally got it, and the Droid X was out quite a while before the last Gakaxy S phone was released. That staggered release probably had a lot to do with the update being held back.

I really don't like how companies describe their software as a media player when it only plays music. As if audio is the only form of media.

Linkin, if you need a screen protector Skinomi has their wet and dry protectors on sale.

Wet

Dry

I'd get the dry, the wet one was a bit of a pain to put on.

[quote name='Clak']Linkin, if you need a screen protector Skinomi has their wet and dry protectors on sale.

Wet

Dry

I'd get the dry, the wet one was a bit of a pain to put on.[/QUOTE]

Wow, those are pretty cheap...I already have a Zagg shield though, but I appreciate the heads up, Clak.

So I'm looking for some information and advice. Over the summer I had planned on getting a Droid X as my first Cell Phone/Smart Phone but my situation got "complicated" (problems with my State ID/Drivers License) at the time and I had to put off that plan. Now things are looking good for me to get a phone. Now though I'm hearing people talking about these new and different phones and don't know whether the X is still a good choice or if there is a better one to choose from or what.

[quote name='StarKnightX']So I'm looking for some information and advice. Over the summer I had planned on getting a Droid X as my first Cell Phone/Smart Phone but my situation got "complicated" (problems with my State ID/Drivers License) at the time and I had to put off that plan. Now things are looking good for me to get a phone. Now though I'm hearing people talking about these new and different phones and don't know whether the X is still a good choice or if there is a better one to choose from or what.[/QUOTE]

The Incredible has been praised everywhere, and if you are looking for a cheap good phone...Best Buy currently has it for free today only as their last of their Free Phone Friday promo.

[quote name='elessar123']Some people have trouble with the droid x, including me. Still, I think it's an awesome phone, when it works right.[/QUOTE]

What kind of "trouble"? My best friend has it. Is it true that you have to have "software" or "drivers" loaded to charge? (not sure how to ask since I don't know how it works) Can't believe that if so. Motorola FTL...

Since Verizon didn't send me a replacement D2 instead of my Droid, I decided to root it and finally put a custom rom on it.

Whew.....I shed tears now just looking at my phone!!!

I went with the project elite rom and the darkedge UI. I then threw a mac theme on there and overclocked it to 700mhz (though I could go to 1200)

Battery life is good...but performance is so swift that its pitiful.

And another thing.....I'm almost hitting 2mb down and 2mb up in my area since rooting. So the wired tethering is now so damn awesome...

I have wanted to root my EVO but I think I'm going to hold out till the 2 years on my contract is up. Don't know why I'm going to do that. Once you root it can you go back and has anyone here rooted an EVO yet?

[quote name='VipFREAK']What kind of "trouble"? My best friend has it. Is it true that you have to have "software" or "drivers" loaded to charge? (not sure how to ask since I don't know how it works) Can't believe that if so. Motorola FTL...[/QUOTE]

Well, on mine, wifi will randomly stop working, and pretty frequently. Battery monitor causes crashes. Once, it said mp3s were not playable until I rebooted. I had a lot of freezes and reboots, but since I stopped using battery monitor, it's happened once each. Notifications for emails sometimes just stops, and sometimes stops checking automatically. I only notice if I don't get a message for all day. These, and more, are all acknowledged by motorola, and most (except batty monitor) happened after froyo.

Whenever the Fascinate finally gets 2.2 I plan on rooting. It's amazing how carriers basically ruin good hardware with their shitty software. I bet if you removed all the crapware loaded on most phones they'd run faster even underclocked. Clock speed means shit when it's having to run all this extra bloatware.

[quote name='elessar123']well, on mine, wifi will randomly stop working, and pretty frequently. Battery monitor causes crashes. Once, it said mp3s were not playable until i rebooted. I had a lot of freezes and reboots, but since i stopped using battery monitor, it's happened once each. Notifications for emails sometimes just stops, and sometimes stops checking automatically. I only notice if i don't get a message for all day. These, and more, are all acknowledged by motorola, and most (except batty monitor) happened after froyo.[/quote]

yikes.

[quote name='Clak']Whenever the Fascinate finally gets 2.2 I plan on rooting. It's amazing how carriers basically ruin good hardware with their shitty software. I bet if you removed all the crapware loaded on most phones they'd run faster even underclocked. Clock speed means shit when it's having to run all this extra bloatware.[/QUOTE]

That's my plan too.

[quote name='VipFREAK']yikes.[/QUOTE]

Yea... I'm finally fed up with it. Froze today and didn't fetch email all day, and keeps dropping both 3x and wifi. On the phone customer service right now, they're telling me it's still under warranty, and he's getting authorization to send me a replacement. Hope this one works as well as it did when my phone only had 2.1.

I'll add that to the list. Also going to add Invadroid which is a Space Invaders type game, also adding Zombie Duck hunt.

[quote name='elessar123']Yea... I'm finally fed up with it. Froze today and didn't fetch email all day, and keeps dropping both 3x and wifi. On the phone customer service right now, they're telling me it's still under warranty, and he's getting authorization to send me a replacement. Hope this one works as well as it did when my phone only had 2.1.[/QUOTE]

Can you exchange it or are you stuck with it? I guess I shouldn't feel so bad about my EVO. Had to take out the kick stand. It stopped staying closed.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Can you exchange it or are you stuck with it? I guess I shouldn't feel so bad about my EVO. Had to take out the kick stand. It stopped staying closed.[/QUOTE]

They're 2nd daying a certified used because it's under warranty. The tech person said the shell is new, I use my current battery and memory card. The chip is re-used. Singular, so I'm not sure if they're just reusing the processor or the tech support meant the entire innards.

From what I have researched, it only affects a small amount of people. We'll see if the replacement is any better.

[quote name='StarKnightX']So I'm looking for some information and advice. Over the summer I had planned on getting a Droid X as my first Cell Phone/Smart Phone but my situation got "complicated" (problems with my State ID/Drivers License) at the time and I had to put off that plan. Now things are looking good for me to get a phone. Now though I'm hearing people talking about these new and different phones and don't know whether the X is still a good choice or if there is a better one to choose from or what.[/QUOTE]

The X is not a bad choice whatsoever. The only think i do not like is the LCD screen compared to Hi-Retina and Super AMOLED displays..and its a bit hefty for a phone. Other than that, it does what all other android devices do. I have 2 friends with the Droid X and they are supremely happy with it.

Personally to me, It all comes down to aesthetics. Do you want camera flash? do you care about size/do you want a front facing camera/do you want a slide-out QWERTY keyboard. At this point in the game every android device is using a 1GHz processor with at least 512 MBs of Ram.

I used this website and I subscribed to them on youtube..well two websites and two subs.

Mobileburn.com
Phonedog.com

you may be able to get some great reviews and great feedback from users of those phones or whatever device you are looking for.

Also, since this is the android thread...

Tried out Winamp. Went back to vanilla mp3 player because it's pretty crappy. Sound quality is better, but the UI needs a ton of work, especially the widget and lock screen aspects. What I like about the vanilla one on my DX is that I have play/pause, back and forward on the lock screen.

For anyone looking for an antivirus program, give Lookout a try. Not only does it do A/V, but you can also use it to track down your phone if it gets lost/stolen, plus you can back up your contacts.

Lookout is a great program, I have been using it for a while now...

On a totally unrelated note, has anyone found a place to get the apk for Rock Band for android? ***Before anyone chimes in about piracy, I am not looking for a full version, just the trial that comes with the Mytouch 4g*** It plays awesomely, much better than any of the Guitar Hero versions for android, but I can't seem to find a download for it anywhere, save the Mytouch 4g that I played it on. I was hoping that the buy link in the app would send me to a website, but it seems that it just unlocks from within the program.

Nope, haven't seen a trial available anywhere. Just tried the remote siren feature on Lookout, that's pretty awesome, the phone locator is pretty damn accurate too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elessar123']Also, since this is the android thread...

Tried out Winamp. Went back to vanilla mp3 player because it's pretty crappy. Sound quality is better, but the UI needs a ton of work, especially the widget and lock screen aspects. What I like about the vanilla one on my DX is that I have play/pause, back and forward on the lock screen.[/QUOTE]

PowerAMP has the lock screen ability at least on the Droid 1. I'm assuming its the same on the Droid X.

Not sure if this is the right topic but... I paid for the first app ever on my DX. Launcher Pro Plus. Right afterward, my paypal account got flagged. Nice.

bread's done
Back