The Official Android thread.

[quote name='elessar123']Not sure if this is the right topic but... I paid for the first app ever on my DX. Launcher Pro Plus. Right afterward, my paypal account got flagged. Nice.[/QUOTE]

That's odd. I've paid for a few but I think I'm using Google Checkout. What's the reasoning for a flagged account?

[quote name='weezyweazel']That's odd. I've paid for a few but I think I'm using Google Checkout. What's the reasoning for a flagged account?[/QUOTE]

LPP only accepts Paypal. Here's the email I got about 15 minutes after buying LPP:

We need your help resolving an issue with your account. To give us time to work together on this, we've temporarily limited what you can do with your account until the issue is resolved.

We understand it may be frustrating not to have full access to your PayPal account. We want to work with you to get your account back to normal as quickly as possible.

What's the problem?
We want to check with you to make sure that no one has logged in to your account without your permission.

Please take a moment to change your password and create new security questions. You should also take a look at your account information and recent transactions. Make sure that your account information (address, phone number, etc.) hasn't changed and that you recognize all of your recent transactions.

If you see a payment that you don't recognize, let us know by going to the Resolution Center. Click "Dispute a Transaction" to report an unauthorized transaction.

I changed my password just in case, went through 3 out of 4 steps to restore my account, but my phone and address can't be verified through public records.... cause it's a cell phone. So now I have to wait till they send me a pin by snail mail. Awesome.

[quote name='elessar123']
I changed my password just in case, went through 3 out of 4 steps to restore my account, but my phone and address can't be verified through public records.... cause it's a cell phone. So now I have to wait till they send me a pin by snail mail. Awesome.[/QUOTE]

Well that sucks. I have paid for a couple of apps with paypal, Handcent and WaveSecure. Didn't have any problems. I would've bought LPP if I'd kept my Droid X. I'm back with a Sense phone now, so I'm not feeling the need at the moment.

I ended up making the jump to an android phone this weekend. I have a few questions...
1) Any good games outside Angry Birds? Was looking forward to Pop Cap titles but noticed they are off a couple months.
2) Any news on if Android will get a Netflix instant stream app?
3) What are some good sites you use to see apps in action to know if they are any good?

As far as games go I would just go into the market and select games, then sort by the most popular. I ahven't played a lot, Angry Birds is my favorite right now.

As far as I know netflix is working on an android app, no idea when it will be finished.

There are plenty of sites out there that review different apps, just search for some. There are demo and review videos on youtube also.

I have a Droid X and love it! No really good apps I can point anyone to that haven't already been mentioned, but I do have a question and not sure if covered or not, but is there a good FREE GPS App? When I was with Sprint they had one, but I have pay extra for that with Verizon....I miss my GPS.

This might be interesting for some Verizon customers.

The plan, described as “Talk and Text Plus Data” is a 450 minute plan with unlimited data and text, for $69 per month. When you consider that Verizon’s current plan will cost you $90 per month, that’s a pretty serious discount. Of course, it also pays to bear in mind that the $69 price point perfectly matches Sprint’s package for the same features.
http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2010/1...ily-discounted-plan-matches-sprint-beats-att/

Sweet, I have a reason to either go back to Verizon or make Sprint give me a good discount.

BTW, does that new plan include GPS and Mobile TV?

[quote name='VipFREAK']Sweet, I have a reason to either go back to Verizon or make Sprint give me a good discount.

BTW, does that new plan include GPS and Mobile TV?[/QUOTE]
Mobile TV probably not, I don't why it wouldn't include GPS use.

[quote name='Clak']You mean like google maps?[/QUOTE]

No, I don't think Google Maps talks to you does it? I am not certain.

[quote name='Clak']I'm not positive about it speaking or not, I usually use my seperate GPS unit.[/QUOTE]

It has turn by turn directions, and traffic overlay. I also use my Garmin for navigation though, cause of the Home feature, lane assist, and real time traffic.

[quote name='Clak']I'm not positive about it speaking or not, I usually use my seperate GPS unit.[/QUOTE]

I can't afford that heh, thanks though.

[quote name='elessar123']It has turn by turn directions, and traffic overlay. I also use my Garmin for navigation though, cause of the Home feature, lane assist, and real time traffic.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I knew from using it a little that it did turn by turn, just wasn't sure if it used audio or just had to keep an eye on it. Basic GPS units have gotten a lot cheaper than they used to be though, so I don't worry about it.

[quote name='Clak']Yeah I knew from using it a little that it did turn by turn, just wasn't sure if it used audio or just had to keep an eye on it. Basic GPS units have gotten a lot cheaper than they used to be though, so I don't worry about it.[/QUOTE]

Turn by turn in GPS-speak is audio.

Ah, got it. Waht I meant was I didn't know if it was turn by turn text or audio. Like I said, I've never really used google maps for navigation. With the so-so GPS on the Galaxy S phones I don't want to take my chances until it's fixed.

So v2.3/Gingerbread might be a few days from release for the NexusOne.

I :pray: that those of us with (other)rooted phones won't have to wait long until it gets ported.

[quote name='Clak']This might be interesting for some Verizon customers.[/QUOTE]
Hasn't it been that price for a while now? When I switched back in August I signed up for the 450 minutes & data package plan for $40 and $30 respectively. Plus I get 20% off my bill thanks to the company I work for. :D
[quote name='irratebass']No, I don't think Google Maps talks to you does it? I am not certain.[/QUOTE]It does, but it's muted by default.

Does anyone have an issue where google maps turns off the screen while you're using it for navigation? Mine seems to randomly, but some times never does. Can't believe it drains the battery faster than a charger can keep up, though.

I've had basically the same thing, except I didn't take the $5 texting package. If I sign up for that I'll get the texting. I don't use texting much anyway, but .20 per message can add up sometimes.

edit- Wtf, apparently it's only in certain areas according to the woman I talked to. That's such BS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the plan is for pre-selected Verizon perferred customers. From what I've read, you are eligible for their special plan only if you received an email.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Yeah, the plan is for pre-selected Verizon perferred customers. From what I've read, you are eligible for their special plan only if you received an email.[/QUOTE]

I didn't receive an email yet I just called the number and asked about it. They gave my family plan (2 phones) the deal. So in the long run I now get 2 $20 credits for the data portion. It doesn't hurt to just try.

Anyone else ever have trouble with their phone not showing new emails? I get things coming in on my gmail account and the phone never shows it despite me having it set to.I have to go in and manually make it update.

Mine updates pretty good, but i'm not using the email app that came with the phone. I use the Gmail app for my Gmail, and K-9 Mail for Hotmail/Yahoo.

[quote name='manthing']So v2.3/Gingerbread might be a few days from release for the NexusOne.

I :pray: that those of us with (other)rooted phones won't have to wait long until it gets ported.[/QUOTE]

I'll let you know how it is as soon as its released :p

Yeah It's the gmail app I'm using. I would use the site, but it's nice to have new email notifications show up as they come in. Really depended on that. I'm still on 2.1 too.

Anyone know of any other software that can stream video from desktop to phones? Orb really sucks now, and I'm not paying for that shitty Android port of their iOS app.

I just use open spark. It is free and from what I can tell does the same as 360 live. Saw one for the ps3 but all you could do is look at your friends list as sony does not have it set up to invite and send messages on the pc like microsoft does for the 360.

[quote name='Clak']Mobile TV probably not, I don't why it wouldn't include GPS use.[/QUOTE]

I though Verizon charged extra for GPS?

On sprint here at the 1500 minute plan and happy with that, for the wife and me.

Epic for her, Evo for me.

[quote name='Snake2715']I though Verizon charged extra for GPS?

On sprint here at the 1500 minute plan and happy with that, for the wife and me.

Epic for her, Evo for me.[/QUOTE]

If you use Verizon Navigator they do. Using Google navigation is free.

See if everyone is a Cheapass why do they go with the other carriers if its all nickel and dimed to death?

Is it really coverage for most people? Off topic I suppose, but I am always curious. I am not a fan of verizon for many many reason. I have not used AT&T. I loved TMobie when I used to be on them, but around here they are not even 3G speeds.

Oh well. I am really enjoying this thread. I am sure its mentioned but Zenonia is a decent RPG game it seems... similar to an LTTP in some ways. I have played it maybe 20 minutes however so its new yet to me.

Hmmm...looks like I need to register my device to transfer the movie from DivX. I thought the Fascinate was DivX certified, doesn't that mean I should be able to register it with DivX? I can't for the life of me find my DivX registration code and google was no help.

Hey guys, do you know if there are any heavyweight Andriod phones planned to hit AT&T in the upcoming months? I'm talking a phone on par or better than the Droid X and EVO. My iPhone 3GS is starting to randomly crash, and I"m out of contract in February, so I'm not sure if I want to wait until the iPhone 5, or if some crazy android phone comes to AT&T.

bread's done
Back