The Official Android thread.

I'm not rooting because I need it to stay as stable as stock...

[quote name='Clak']There isn't any, you just mount the SD card when you plug it into the usb port. It will pop up on the phone and you just tell it mount SD card, then it shows up like any other flash drive. Just copy/paste onto the phone's SD card.[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad it does this, taking the batt out to get to the SD card is the stupidest idea they can come up with.

In other news... I cave wayyy too easy buying things in the Android marketplace. Still, I've enjoyed what I bought.

Anyway, anyone have a good "filler" widget for an open space I have? Preferably free? Thanks.

Yeah, I really don't get putting the card slot in the battery compartment. Is it so hard to put it on the side? Even my old cheap smartphone had it on the side.

Motorola always does that, I think. On my KRZR and my Droid X, the MicroSD are both under the battery cover. My previous phone, an LG Dare, had it outside. While convenient, I never removed it, and after 2 years, the door got flimsy and had lint. I think I slightly prefer the card being by the battery just so it's better protected.

I hate these screen protectors, putting them on is a pain in the ass, wish I had gotten one that went on without any liquid. Plus I keep getting #$@%#^ fingerprints on the underside.

:bomb:

Added the GPS Status app. Pretty cool app, gives you a compass powered by the GPS satellites, can also tell you pitch/roll, heading, latitude/longitude,acceleration/speed, plus tells you the number of satellites you have locked onto.

Got my Fascinate on Friday @ Best Buy...took 4 hours to get it, and not because I was in line, but actually working with reps. so that was a pain but at least I got hooked up with accessories at cost, which were damn cheap.

Anyways, I'm definitely going to try to root the phone, I'm sick of seeing all those Verizon apps that I don't want to touch, or accidentally activate.

Found this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=798064

Also...how do you take a screenshot of your phone?

EDIT: Now that I read more into it...it seems too intimidating...not sure if I'm willing to take a chance on rooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rooting itself is easy now, that androidcentral link has all you need. Making the root really useful is a completely different topic. If you just want to get rid of some stuff just root it and nothing else. It is actually reccomended to simply rename stuff rather than deleting it though, so you won't really save space.

Only reason I'd want to do root at this point is be able to change out the god awful status/taskbar area with decent Icons or even rearrange them... And of course tether without having to kiss Sprint's ass first...

The thread is awful long at this point, but the OP doesn't mention Handcent SMS - which is the best SMS/MMS client for android, IMO.

Free app, lots of good configuration options. It blows the Android 1.6 default app out of the water in every way (I'm running a non-rooted G1)

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Got my Fascinate on Friday @ Best Buy...took 4 hours to get it, and not because I was in line, but actually working with reps. so that was a pain but at least I got hooked up with accessories at cost, which were damn cheap.

Anyways, I'm definitely going to try to root the phone, I'm sick of seeing all those Verizon apps that I don't want to touch, or accidentally activate.

Found this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=798064

Also...how do you take a screenshot of your phone?

EDIT: Now that I read more into it...it seems too intimidating...not sure if I'm willing to take a chance on rooting.[/QUOTE]
Rooting is very simple. Use a one-click root app when it's available, those are starting to pop up for almost every phone. After that, you just need to download the SDK, go to your Environment settings and add the tools directory, then do the ADB PULL commands to remove the apps. That's the old school way, a easier way is once you get root, download Titanium Backup, go to settings (check "chuck norris mode") then start clicking on apps you want to remove. It'll do it for you.

Again, I'd advise not actually removing certain applications or updating to 2.2 froyo might be an issue as it has been for some phones. You can rename programs with .old at the end so they can't be found, that way if there is an issue you can simply restore the right filename and everything will be ok.

here is what my Droid Incredibles homepage looks like..

5055559432_b39c60e02a_b.jpg

For a batter widget I use batterytime. it is free and I get the percent of battery left, Idle Time, Talk time, Video Playback, audio playback and web surfing. Also it gives the voltage and temp.

I don't like this. I'm afraid it may hinder further Android phone development. Verizon has I believe the most Android phones of any carrier, the most quality ones at least, if a significant number switch to an iPhone that could slow demand for new Android handsets.

That's been speculated since June or even a few months earlier. I doubt that they'll just focus on the Apple platform, but knowing how huge it is, they can't go on without trying to get in on it.

I will say this, it must be one hell of a phone for people to be wiling to put up with AT&T just to have it.
I'm just curious to see how this will effect things. The android phones are the best phones verizon sells, I don't know if having the iPhone will spur more development or hurt it. Wish I could find the article I read a few weeks ago, it talked about what effect a Verizon iPhone might have.

I have an iPhone for work (not by choice) and a Samsung Epic for home.

Slick marketing is the only reason Apple is in the lead...

Apple needs verizon more then verizon needs apple. Android was the top selling smartphone for the past 6 months according to NPD, and its just going to get worse for apple. I am sure they are doing everything they can to get onto verizon, they need it badly.

Hmm...My Fascinate seems to lock up on sites from time to time when I'm using Skyfire. I wonder if thats my phone acting up or Skyfire. :whistle2:k

On another note, SNESoid is fucking awesome!

Haven't used skyfire too much, hasn't locked up on me though. That's another thing I need to get, Linkin.

Picked up the G2 this morning. all of my apps from the Rooted G1 all carried over with google backup, and I had SNESoid and GBAoid up and running in no time. the HSPA is pretty dang quick where I live too.

[quote name='Clak']Haven't used skyfire too much, hasn't locked up on me though. That's another thing I need to get, Linkin.[/QUOTE]

I think it might have been my phone. It officially died last night, just got it replaced on my lunch break. About to re-set up all my apps/features etc. So we'll see how this one goes.

FYI Another great FREE app for the OP is Ringdroid. Takes any MP3 in your library and allows you to create a ringtone, very easy to use, highly recommend it.

Hope this one works out, haven't heard anything about failure rates. Added Ringdroid to the OP.

Wow, so not one happy Droid 2 owner? I understand that other phones beat it in processor\speed\camera areas, but it's a pretty sweet phone for me. I am digging the size and it's done everything I have thrown at it without complaints.

Reading through the thread, lot's of quizzical musings over why anyone would want a qwerty keyboard in this day and age. I see your point, but I am definitely glad I went the physical keyboard route.

I still have a few weeks to change my mind, but I think I am sticking with it.

uh physical is qwerty? i can only assume you meant a virtual keyboard...

droid 2 is ok but the keyboard kinda sucks, especially when you use something like the epic. i was disappointed in it after using it a bit. i did really like froyo, though. samsung really needs to move on the galaxy s froyo business.

I like having 2.2 on the G2, but I really miss having Cyanogen mod already after just a week. Flash is great. I can watch NFL games at work now :)

Yeah I wish they'd get Froyo out, supposedly samsung is finished with the the software, just have to get it to the carriers and then out to us.

Linkin, if you still want to root your Fascinate search on the marketplace for "ryan's one click lag fix". It roots and does the cheap way of lag fixing, I think separately so you can choose what to do if you just want to root.

Interesting...thanks for the tip. I'm going to consider it as I'm not yet sure if I want to root it. So far this replacement has been great, except for the GPS, the other phone had a perfectly good working GPS, this one is a little spotty.

Try downloading "GPS Status", some people say it has helped their GPS, mine did seem to improve after trying it. It's a cool app anyway.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']FYI Another great FREE app for the OP is Ringdroid. Takes any MP3 in your library and allows you to create a ringtone, very easy to use, highly recommend it.[/QUOTE]

The built in ringtone trimmer for me works well...360 live is also a nice app if your a 360 user..

Angry birds beta has been alotta fun.. Im still partial to homerun 3d

i stopped with homerun 3d after i got a replacement phone and learned the sad news that shit don't carry over

so fuck that company. they're so concerned about cheaters that they do stupid shit like that

[quote name='guyver2077']The built in ringtone trimmer for me works well...360 live is also a nice app if your a 360 user..

Angry birds beta has been alotta fun.. Im still partial to homerun 3d[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware that there was one already built in...what's it called?

I lurked around in this thread for a little while, and just recently got a Droid X. I've always had big phones, and prefer them, so the natural #1 complaint about its size is irrelevant to me. I've really, really enjoyed the phone. Probably the best one I've ever had. In fact I've been fortunate, over the last 3 phone upgrades I've liked my newer phone more than any previous ones I've used.

Strongly recommended by me.

2.2 for Galaxy S official info :whee::

Update: We've just been handed the official press release for the Andoid 2.2 Galaxy S update. Indeed, Nordic countries get it first (starting mid-October, aka, "now") before it's "gradually rolled out to other European markets, Southeast Asia, the Middle East Asia, North America, Africa and rest of the world." Hey, it takes time to update 5 million handsets.

[Thanks, Gustav F. and Chong Shau Poh]
Android 2.2 JPM for the Galaxy S reportedly adds the following:

• Android 2.2 JIT compiler
  • Adobe Flash Player 10.1 compatibility
  • New Android Market with auto-updating
  • Speed improvements
  • Pinch-to-zoom homescreen flyover
  • Improved default keyboard
  • Quick links to "GPS" and "Auto rotation" toggles on notification bar added
  • Slightly different graphics and transitions with app drawer and default icon dock
  • Colored icons in settings
  • GPS Fix
  • Colored settings icons
  • Media Hub
  • Darker menu theme, navy blue color
  • Better Exchange support
  • Video records in MP4 format
  • New Search widget
  • New Gmail application
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/15/galaxy-s-android-2-2-froyo-update-begins-to-trickle-out/

Still using my old G1.. its really starting to show it's age.

Has anyone rooted a G1 and installed 2.2 on it? the phone is already seriously underpowered compared to whats out there right now, but with 2.2's improved java interpreter, i wonder if 2.2 will run about as well as my 1.6 rom.

Anyone here tried it?

FYI in case you guys don't keep track of the VG forum...Angry Birds is now released and available for free (with ad support) @ the Android Marketplace.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Still using my old G1.. its really starting to show it's age.

Has anyone rooted a G1 and installed 2.2 on it? the phone is already seriously underpowered compared to whats out there right now, but with 2.2's improved java interpreter, i wonder if 2.2 will run about as well as my 1.6 rom.

Anyone here tried it?[/QUOTE]

I ran Cyanogen Mod 6 on my rooted G1 for about a month before I got the new G2. I got to say the final version of CM6 was very smooth. It felt quicker than 1.6 stock G1. Never found working flash player for it, but the updates to the browser and java and other changes were nice. The only complaint to CM6 was it did drain the battery faster than stock 1.6 did.

Geh.. i don't mind tmobile as a carrier, but the G2 seemed pretty non-competitive when it came to the hardware. I don't thin Tmobile has a single android handset with a 1 GHZ or processor yet.

If I could get any android phone right now, I would get the Samsung Galaxy S they sent to sprint.. that is a sexy piece of machinery.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Geh.. i don't mind tmobile as a carrier, but the G2 seemed pretty non-competitive when it came to the hardware. I don't thin Tmobile has a single android handset with a 1 GHZ or processor yet.

If I could get any android phone right now, I would get the Samsung Galaxy S they sent to sprint.. that is a sexy piece of machinery.[/QUOTE]

The Vibrant on T-Mobile is part of the Galaxy S series and it is using the 1Ghz Hummingbird processor. The phone you're talking about the Epic is the same phone, just with a slide out keyboard.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Geh.. i don't mind tmobile as a carrier, but the G2 seemed pretty non-competitive when it came to the hardware. I don't thin Tmobile has a single android handset with a 1 GHZ or processor yet.

If I could get any android phone right now, I would get the Samsung Galaxy S they sent to sprint.. that is a sexy piece of machinery.[/QUOTE]

The G2 has a newer Snapdragon Chip, and even though its clocked at 800mhz it is actually much faster than the older 1ghz Snapdragon in phones like my Nexus One.

The Epic is my fav out right now.

The G2 was a big disappointment after a 2 year wait which forced me to get Epic.

T-Mob flubbed this one pretty hard.
Also, great news that the damn Froyo is finally hitting.

bread's done
Back