The Official Android thread.

Have to say I'm a little pissed about all of these things that have just come out after waiting a few months for this. Being locked to bing, not being able to save programs to the SD card, the still not fixed GPS issue. Feel like I waited just the be let down. I could have gotten the Droid X and probably been happy. About the only thing that still makes me want this is the native ability to play divx/xvid files, which was probably the biggest seling point for me to begin with.

[quote name='Clak']Have to say I'm a little pissed about all of these things that have just come out after waiting a few months for this. Being locked to bing, not being able to save programs to the SD card, the still not fixed GPS issue. Feel like I waited just the be let down. I could have gotten the Droid X and probably been happy. About the only thing that still makes me want this is the native ability to play divx/xvid files, which was probably the biggest seling point for me to begin with.[/QUOTE]

Yup...I'm in the same boat man. To top it off it's available for $99.99 @ Amazon right now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

So for those of you with an Incredible or X...how does the memory work using a microSD card? Are no normally able to add apps to the memory card or only to the internal memory?

EDIT: That mysterious EVO looking HTC phone for Verizon looks to be an 'Incredible HD':

http://www.adannews.com/12048/verizon-htc-droid-incredible-hd-coming-and-q4-2010-release-date/

Think this is the next one on my radar...*sigh*

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Yup...I'm in the same boat man. To top it off it's available for $99.99 @ Amazon right now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

So for those of you with an Incredible or X...how does the memory work using a microSD card? Are no normally able to add apps to the memory card or only to the internal memory?

EDIT: That mysterious EVO looking HTC phone for Verizon looks to be an 'Incredible HD':

http://www.adannews.com/12048/verizon-htc-droid-incredible-hd-coming-and-q4-2010-release-date/

Think this is the next one on my radar...*sigh*[/QUOTE]

HTC is holding a special event of some sort September 15 (in London I think?). Hopefully, they'll be revealing more information about the phone you linked to.

I had an EVO for about a month and loved it to death. Had to give it up because I found out my company gets a discount with Verizon that's too good to pass up.

I need to pick a phone and just go with it, otherwise I'll be waiting forever. If they change it so you can install things to the SD card I'll still consider the Fascinate. The bing thing isn't even that big a deal to me, plus I'm sure that once it's rooted bing will be no problem to get rid of.

I've been reading some reports online that indicate that 2.2 will solve most of the annoying issues that the Fascinate currently has, like being restricted to Bing, and being able to save apps to the SD card. It's also rumored that 2.2 will be available for the Fascinate by the end of this month.

If this is true, this is coming up on my radar again, now my only other major concern is the GPS issue.

I was playing with a Fascinate at the verizon store today. The GPS was having trouble, although part of that was because they didn't have the phone properly set up. After playing with some other phones for a while I went back after they had finished setting it up and played with it. The GPS worked in the sense that bing maps displayed a map and all, but the funny thing is the map was horribly outdated, it didn't have the verizon store I was in or any of the buildings near it. Updating it may have fixed that, but since these buildings are a few years old and the phone is brand new (I'd assume with up to date maps) I guess bing just doesn't update their maps as often. I don't know if it was accurate or not because of this. I'd say it knew I was in the general property of the store.

Every Droid branded phone I tried pinpointed to the outside of the wall I was standing near, crazy accurate.

edit- This article claims that all future verizon android phones will use bing.

http://www.phonedog.com/2010/09/08/...ing-for-search-in-all-future-android-devices/

Tried an Evo for 30 days and loved it, except for battery life, no keyboard and how hot it got. Had an Epic since launch and I am blown away! Not even on Froyo yet and it does everything I need plus some more. The SAMOLED screen, fast processor and backlit keyboard are total win.

That scares me if Verizon is treating the Fascinate as some cheaper multimedia phone. Makes me wonder about updates and everything down the line. Verizon really screwed this up IMO, it's a good phone, but they seem to want it to fail.

just ran my epic through the most brutal battery test i could.

it lasted 20 hours of pretty aggressive heavy use with wifi on all day. i played a couple hours of mp3 and at the end just turned on the "flashlight" app to try and drain it.

what a powerhouse.

I forgot about this little story, OT really. When I went to the Verizon store, after I'd been there for about 30 minutes or so, some woman came busting in yelling and screaming. Apparently she thought her husband was cheating on her and wanted his phone records to check if he'd been calling some woman. When the woman at the desk refused she got crazy and started screaming at her. After threatening to call the police the woman left, only to return a minute later still acting crazy. It was the probably the weirdest, most unexpected thing I've seen happen in a store.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='manthing']Using a phone on Wifi isn't a 'brutal battery test'.[/QUOTE]

constant wifi use for 20 hours is brutal considering most phones want you to disable wifi to "conserve battery life". like i said i was using it really often and hitting all the internet and multimedia features short of just playing HD video until it died. i know someone that watched all of the hd avatar movie on it and then watched another movie so maybe that's brutal enough for you.

[quote name='Clak']I forgot about this little story, OT really. When I went to the Verizon store, after I'd been there for about 30 minutes or so, some woman came busting in yelling and screaming. Apparently she thought her husband was cheating on her and wanted his phone records to check if he'd been calling some woman. When the woman at the desk refused she got crazy and started screaming at her. After threatening to call the police the woman left, only to return a minute later still acting crazy. It was the probably the weirdest, most unexpected thing I've seen happen in a store.[/QUOTE]
they could have actually went into her MyVerizon acct or told her how to, and look at past and current call logs...

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']constant wifi use for 20 hours is brutal considering most phones want you to disable wifi to "conserve battery life". like i said i was using it really often and hitting all the internet and multimedia features short of just playing HD video until it died. i know someone that watched all of the hd avatar movie on it and then watched another movie so maybe that's brutal enough for you.[/QUOTE]

No matter what you think, using WiFi to access data isn't a test of the battery.

If you really want a 'brutal' battery test, turn on 4G and use the internet like you did before.

they could have actually went into her MyVerizon acct or told her how to, and look at past and current call logs...
If it was her phone I'm sure they could have, but as I said it was her husband's phone that she wanted the records from. Plus she was acting batshit crazy, you want someone like that in your store?

[quote name='manthing']No matter what you think, using WiFi to access data isn't a test of the battery.

If you really want a 'brutal' battery test, turn on 4G and use the internet like you did before.[/QUOTE]

Fine I'll 4G it up and report if anything goes bad, but so far I'm really impressed.

Did some 4G speedtests from my house.

8227 down
1281 up

Thanks, 4G!

I got a chance to play with the Fascinate this weekend and I liked it a hell of a lot more than I would have thought. The phone is super light and the screen looks phenomenal. From what I saw it was pretty responsive, though I couldn't get the GPS to work since it needed and update or something. I'm anxiously waiting 2.2 to hear if the phone ends up becoming the phone I was expecting it would be.

[quote name='Clak']If it was her phone I'm sure they could have, but as I said it was her husband's phone that she wanted the records from. Plus she was acting batshit crazy, you want someone like that in your store?[/QUOTE]
if they are on the same acct and she is an auth user then she could but i take it they didnt bother to try and help?

Well I obviously don't know the details, but when a woman starts screaming and cursing, typically customer service ends right there.

Just wondering if people in here looking at the Incredible know that it'll get changed out from a AMOLED screen to a TFT screen sometime soon?

Recent article, mentioning that it'll be a different SKU # and outer box info:
http://www.phonenews.com/htc-droid-incredible-being-transitioned-to-slcd-late-this-month-12641/

Original article mentioning it:
http://www.phonenews.com/droid-incredible-not-being-discontinued-is-dropping-amoled-11572/

I guess one will be the Incredible and the other one will be the not-so-Incredible?

They did a side by side comparison of the HTC Desire which is the euro version of the incredible, its screen got replaced by the SLCD and there wasnt much of a difference overall.

I love the AMOLED screen in my incredible, however it is useless in daylight.

Super AMOLED doesn't have the same issue with daylight that the regular AMOLED does.

Hence, you want a Samsung Android phone.

pound for pound, you need to consider upgrading in the future. i would go with the Droid X, a few of my friends have then and they love it. the phones not huge but not small.

According to this that Incredible HD won't be much faster. It talks about the Desire, but I believe that's the Euro version of the Incredible line.

Kind of underwhelming specs, I figured it would have a faster processor.

Got my Sprint contract renewal up and I wanna pop my smart phone cherry; should I go with the Epic like I've wanted to, or are there any other phone -- specifically in the future -- that I might want to keep an eye out on, or should I just go with the Epic?

Right now I'm looking for:
1) Awesome web browsing capabilities.

2) Battery life

3) Game playing capabilities

4) a slide out keyboard

in that order.

The Epic's battery is a champ. I went sometimes I don't even charge it overnight.

The Epic is the best Android-based phone in the US market at present.
I know of nothing on anyone's roadmaps that is going to change that.

If you want games, go iPhone. If you want a phone that's full of utility then the Epic matches all your other criteria. I bought two of 'em after having a G1 for two years and I'm blown away.

[quote name='Clak']According to this that Incredible HD won't be much faster. It talks about the Desire, but I believe that's the Euro version of the Incredible line.

Kind of underwhelming specs, I figured it would have a faster processor.[/QUOTE]

That Desire looks pretty sweet, wish it would come out over here on Verizon.

[quote name='shrike4242']Just wondering if people in here looking at the Incredible know that it'll get changed out from a AMOLED screen to a TFT screen sometime soon?

Recent article, mentioning that it'll be a different SKU # and outer box info:
http://www.phonenews.com/htc-droid-incredible-being-transitioned-to-slcd-late-this-month-12641/

Original article mentioning it:
http://www.phonenews.com/droid-incredible-not-being-discontinued-is-dropping-amoled-11572/

I guess one will be the Incredible and the other one will be the not-so-Incredible?[/QUOTE]

SLCD seems to be the new fancy name for IPS screens. It won't be a TFT screen.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Smartphones all have bad battery life, its just the nature of the best. Phone technology is going 100x faster then battery technology.[/QUOTE]

Battery technology is on the cusp of some big developments. Ultra capacitors and nanotechnology based battery designs will start becoming prevalent in the next 5-10 years.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']The Epic's battery is a champ. I went sometimes I don't even charge it overnight.

The Epic is the best Android-based phone in the US market at present.
I know of nothing on anyone's roadmaps that is going to change that.

If you want games, go iPhone. If you want a phone that's full of utility then the Epic matches all your other criteria. I bought two of 'em after having a G1 for two years and I'm blown away.[/QUOTE]

LG has scheduled some Tegra 2 phones for Q4 this year. If they manage to give it a decent screen and leave the OS the hell alone, they could be decent phones.

Well I finally took the plunge and bought the Fascinate from Amazon (1 cent now btw). Should be here by Monday, I'll give my impression when I get it.

[quote name='Clak']Well I finally took the plunge and bought the Fascinate from Amazon (1 cent now btw). Should be here by Monday, I'll give my impression when I get it.[/QUOTE]
1 cent...shit! I think that just sealed the deal for me. I was going to wait to see what 2.2 does with the phone, but I'm so sick of my 3G that I need something now.

Though I'm actually thinking of waiting till the end of this month when my billing cycle ends so that it can be a clean switch.

Yeah, I went ahead and got the 1 day shipping since it's only a few dollars with prime. Basically got it all for free using some Amazon credit. Glad I waited a few weeks, would have been pissed if I'd got it when it was about $100.

Yeah, I'm getting it. Did they charge you any taxes or was it really just 1 penny?

EDIT: Whoa, no tax...I thought for sure I would have been taxed on the original amount of the device...this is cool.

So how do you port your number over to the new plan/phone? No options are given during checkout.

EDIT2: Found it:
  1. Before you begin, follow the instructions in the owner's manual to charge your phone's battery.
  2. Return to the Your Account section to view your order details. Once you've signed in, follow the instructions at the top of your order details to activate your phone.
  3. Turn on your phone. Verizon Wireless will e-mail you when your phone is ready for use (1-5 business days after you submit your request from Your Account in step 2 above). Upon receipt of the email, dial *228 from your new phone to complete the activation. Upon completion of the number transfer, your service with your previous provider will automatically be canceled.
http://wireless.amazon.com/help/200334880/

Last edited by a moderator:
Bah! Order didn't go through, apparently Verizon doesn't like me for some reason...funny thing is I signed up for FiOS a few months ago without any issues. I guess I'll call them up and see what's up.

I may not even transfer my number, I keep getting calls on this number from some collection agency, whoever had this number before must have been a deadbeat.

Well I got the phone earlier. I'm liking it so far, I installed Launcher Pro after playing with touchwiz for a little while, didn't like Touchwiz at all. The bing search isn't that big of a deal really, with Launcher Pro installed I just added the google search widget to the home screen. Also the weather and toggle switch widget, very Sense looking, awesome. Haven't tried the GPS yet, but the one in the store worked pretty well. So far I'm loving it, plays Divx files flawlessly out of the box.

I'm jealous, I'm having issues with Verizon at the moment and they won't process my order. I'm afraid I might be stuck with AT&T for a few more years :/

Palm Pre was actually my first choice over a year ago.

Getting an Epic on Oct 1. How hard are these phones to find? Is it like trying to get an iPhone4 or will it be way easier?

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Palm Pre was actually my first choice over a year ago.

Getting an Epic on Oct 1. How hard are these phones to find? Is it like trying to get an iPhone4 or will it be way easier?[/QUOTE]
The galaxy S phones don't seem to be selling so well, so they aren't in low supply. Even though they have the same screens that have caused supply problems with other phones.

^I'll go with that too.

devicek.png

devicef.png

Since you apparently use Launcher Pro too I ahve a question for you, how do you get the little bar of dots for the home screens to show up? I keep having to guess which one i'm on, I thought it was on by default but I guess not.

Changed thread title too.

bread's done
Back