The Official God Of War II Thread -Reviews/Help/Discussion/Spoilers

can't wait to play this next week.. been holding off on purchasing anything this week.

[quote name='Dhuk']A very LE GoW II 2 disc tin set. Rumor has it there is only 20 of them. Here is the cover:
da1f_1_b.JPG

;) j/k

Probably a bunch of free GoW II stuff, like door mats, shirts, posters and the game.[/QUOTE]

thats just a store display i believe.

[quote name='Dhuk']What stores are offering the best deal on the game? Any freebie bonuses with purchase?[/quote]

The only offer i am aware of is from best buy circuit city where you get a free tshirt with purchase.

Edit: just looked at the ad again and it turns out it was CC sorry for the confusion

[quote name='michaema']Anyone plan on playing GOW II before starting/finishing the original GOW?[/quote]

From what I've read regarding the story that doesn't seem like a good idea. I think GoWII starts right where the first one ended...

[quote name='lokizz']this game is still coming with 2 disks right?[/QUOTE]

Yup.

Disc 1= Game
Disc 2= Behind the scenes/Development etc. DVD

2 days to go!!

is that confirmed, t-shirt with purchase at BB? didn't see anything about it in the ads..

[quote name='jer7583']is that confirmed, t-shirt with purchase at BB? didn't see anything about it in the ads..[/quote]

It was in my bestbuy Circuit City ad. You can view the Ad on bestbuy.com circuitcity.com and click the link for weekly ad. :D

*Edit*

I just checked my ad again and it turns out it was the circuit city Ad, sorry for the confusion

After finishing God of War on God Mode last week, I haven't given to much thought to God of War II. However, I started reading some reviews tonight, and I'm starting to get fucking stoked. :twisted:

All this hubbub is making me consider a purchase of the original.

I have the demo sony gave me and I was very unimpressed. I thought it played like Castlevania LOI or a weaker Devil May Cry w/ some Prince of Persia influence (both of which I like).

My question: Is the Hydra demo poor representation of the game as a whole?

[quote name='willardhaven']All this hubbub is making me consider a purchase of the original.

I have the demo sony gave me and I was very unimpressed. I thought it played like Castlevania LOI or a weaker Devil May Cry w/ some Prince of Persia influence (both of which I like).

My question: Is the Hydra demo poor representation of the game as a whole?[/quote]

It was a perfect representation of the game. If you didn't like the Hydra demo, I can't see you liking the rest of the game.

[quote name='willardhaven']All this hubbub is making me consider a purchase of the original.

My question: Is the Hydra demo poor representation of the game as a whole?[/QUOTE]

I actually thought the hydra part was the best part of the game. The levels get longer and involve more simple running from place to place without as many fights, the bosses scarcer, the context moves and fights get more repetitive etc. I thought the demo presented a pretty good balance but made the game out to be better than it was. everyone disagrees with me on this though and the fact that ninja gaiden is the better action game by miles :)

Wish there was some deal, but I'll pick it up sometime this week. Loved, loved the first. Beat it twice. One of the few PS2 games I'm going to keep as I start to sell my stuff.

[quote name='Apossum']I dunno...I found the God of War 1 reviews to be highly suspect. I maintain that the game undeniably started out amazing and then slowly became a chore as you got closer to the end. It was a solid game, but the 10s and 9.5 were unjustified.

of course, I'm going to pick this one up. hell, I may get it on launch day, but I'm weary of this gushing reviews[/quote]
[quote name='Apossum']I actually thought the hydra part was the best part of the game. The levels get longer and involve more simple running from place to place without as many fights, the bosses scarcer, the context moves and fights get more repetitive etc. I thought the demo presented a pretty good balance but made the game out to be better than it was. everyone disagrees with me on this though and the fact that ninja gaiden is the better action game by miles :)[/quote]You and I have the EXACT same feelings about God of War. However, I've yet to play the GoWII demo. I have it, just haven't gotten around to it. If you get it, please tell me if it's better, worse, or about the same as the demo, and give me a quick comparison to the first game. I have no intentions of buying it unless I hear it is significantly different and better than the original.

[quote name='Apossum']I actually thought the hydra part was the best part of the game. The levels get longer and involve more simple running from place to place without as many fights, the bosses scarcer, the context moves and fights get more repetitive etc. I thought the demo presented a pretty good balance but made the game out to be better than it was. everyone disagrees with me on this though and the fact that ninja gaiden is the better action game by miles :)[/QUOTE]

Replace "Ninja Gaiden" with "DMC III" and I've got your back. You, me, and Z-Saber'll be like the three muthafuckin' musketeers.

[quote name='trq']Replace "Ninja Gaiden" with "DMC III" and I've got your back. You, me, and Z-Saber'll be like the three muthafuckin' musketeers.[/quote]Who's making the sig/banner thing? GoW-hating musketeers FTW?

I too believe that Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry 1/3 are far, far superior to God of War. However, I will still pick this up when it reaches a reasonable price. $30-35 maybe? Not sure yet....

[quote name='Z-Saber']You and I have the EXACT same feelings about God of War. However, I've yet to play the GoWII demo. I have it, just haven't gotten around to it. If you get it, please tell me if it's better, worse, or about the same as the demo, and give me a quick comparison to the first game. I have no intentions of buying it unless I hear it is significantly different and better than the original.[/QUOTE]

once again, the GoWII demo is great--even better than the hydra demo. I guess I won't know about the rest until I play it since all anyone can do is say the game's awesome and that there are more bosses.

I have to say the guide makes this game look like it has incredible boss battles (we have them at work although we have no copies of the game).

I have to wait for it to come in the mail before I get to play it :whistle2:(

And I agree with the other guys, DMC and Ninja Gaiden are the better action games...this game has a more epic feel to it though IMO.

dmc3 special edition was an amazing game to play and has lots of replay value but cmon people ninja giaden was crap. i played it and got so bored with it so quick i just quit playing it and the only other game ive done that with was manhunt. God of war isnt perfect but its nearer to it than any of those 2 games and many games but i will say that dmc3 and god of war both have replayability which is a definite must for any great game. but of the 3 god of war does have the better story and cooler main character.

the game is like playing a movie in scope , scale and story whereas dmc3 was fun and it was fun to get into the combos but it got repetitive alot of times with fighting the same damn enemies over and over and theres only so many combos you can pull off. god of war also has the better more fluid and adaptable combo system of those games. and as far as bosses go cmon god of wars bosses were awesome aside from that cheap ass bastard at the end of the game fuck him he sucked but only because of his titanic level of cheapness.

After playing for a coupla hours, I remember why I got annoyed with the first one. You can't control the camera. It's not all important, but during some platforming, it can be annoying trying to see where to go. Although it may just be me.

It's really fun so far. I love ripping the wings off the harpies, I loved that the best from the first God of War.

I'm loving the game so far. For those of you looking for something different, you won't find it here. So if you didn't like the first one then don't bother. As has been said many times there's a lot more cool boss moments, but it's the same gameplay.
And I agree with the other guys, DMC and Ninja Gaiden are the better action games...this game has a more epic feel to it though IMO.
And that's the key right there. DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden are great games, but they don't have the story, music, atmoshphere or the epicness. Those things really add to the GoW experience. It's rare for me to play an action game so I can see what happens next in the story.

So... I take it that if I'm not impressed with the demo, I should pretty much forget liking the full game? 'Cause that's kinda what happened.

[quote name='Z-Saber']So... I take it that if I'm not impressed with the demo, I should pretty much forget liking the full game? 'Cause that's kinda what happened.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, probably :p

I haven't played the demo myself though...stuck here...all alone...waiting for the game to arrive in the mail.

If this was the future the game would be instantly teleported to me for a small fee. But nooooooo. Damn technology not advancing enough.

[quote name='sonicdescent']amazon really shit the bed on this one, seems pre-orders going as far back as last year are being delayed until next week.[/quote]

Never ever pre-order anything from Amazon, they ALWAYS send it out late.

[quote name='sonicdescent']amazon really shit the bed on this one, seems pre-orders going as far back as last year are being delayed until next week.[/quote] Actually, I got an email saying it was delayed until next week, and I woke up today to a shipping confirmation and tracking number. Weird.

got this game today and it's great so far.

one question though-- is anyone else getting that weird "scanning" line when you move? I don't know how to describe it....it looks like something from "behind" the image is pushing it out and the line moves up as you move...maybe that's what people call a sync problem?

anyway, yeah, that's annoying the hell out of me and so is the slowdown, but otherwise, I'm have a good time with it. :)

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']

And that's the key right there. DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden are great games, but they don't have the story, music, atmoshphere or the epicness. Those things really add to the GoW experience. It's rare for me to play an action game so I can see what happens next in the story.[/QUOTE]

they don't have the story (well, some people like DMC's story a lot..I like GoW's better), but they have music, atmosphere, and they sure as hell have "epicness." Maybe not Spartan man-sweat epicness...

they don't have the story (well, some people like DMC's story a lot..I like GoW's better), but they have music, atmosphere, and they sure as hell have "epicness." Maybe not Spartan man-sweat epicness...
You honestly think DMC has the same level of epicness that GoW has? Come on. Same with music and atmosphere. I liked the soundtrack to DMC3 well enough, but it doesn't even compare to GoW. As far as NG, well that soundtrack I completely ignored.

And I'm sorry, but a lot of things detract from DMC3 and NG that just make GoW the better package. Things like Dante being a complete moron in DMC3. Don't get me wrong I loved the game, but if Dante said one more metaphor involving the word party I was going to have to mute the game. Not to mention the other ridiculous things like being eaten by random flying, marine mammals and riding missles around like surfboards. Ninja Gaiden was better in that regard, but GoW still surpasses it in those areas.

Apossum, it's a synching issue. It happens in games that do not do VSYNC... or whatever the equivalent on a TV is. It happened in the first one, it happened in the demo for the second one. Sure, 60fps most of the time is cool, but I'll take a synched image (At least in the case of God of War. For some reason, the synching on it is horrendous.) over that any day.

[quote name='Vegan']Never ever pre-order anything from Amazon, they ALWAYS send it out late.[/QUOTE]

well this is my first experience with a game, but I must say for movies they have been flawless..even with the two day shipping, i have gotten every one on the street date.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']You honestly think DMC has the same level of epicness that GoW has? Come on. Same with music and atmosphere. I liked the soundtrack to DMC3 well enough, but it doesn't even compare to GoW. As far as NG, well that soundtrack I completely ignored.

And I'm sorry, but a lot of things detract from DMC3 and NG that just make GoW the better package. Things like Dante being a complete moron in DMC3. Don't get me wrong I loved the game, but if Dante said one more metaphor involving the word party I was going to have to mute the game. Not to mention the other ridiculous things like being eaten by random flying, marine mammals and riding missles around like surfboards. Ninja Gaiden was better in that regard, but GoW still surpasses it in those areas.[/QUOTE]
The only thing I would say GoW might be better than Ninja Gaiden and DMC in is the story and even that is a maybe (DMC3 is my favorite game ever). Gameplay-wise GoW can't compare to Ninja Gaiden or DMC3. You can get through GoW just fine by button-mashing (which I'm assuming you like judging by your custom username). Try button-mashing in NG or DMC and you're dead.

GoW may have the more epic feel but DMC3 and NG are the better games when you look at gameplay.

Music-wise, I really like the DMC3 soundtrack, one of my favorites easily.

[quote name='whoknows']The only thing I would say GoW might be better than Ninja Gaiden and DMC in is the story and even that is a maybe (DMC3 is my favorite game ever). Gameplay-wise GoW can't compare to Ninja Gaiden or DMC3. You can get through GoW just fine by button-mashing (which I'm assuming you like judging by your custom username). Try button-mashing in NG or DMC and you're dead.

GoW may have the more epic feel but DMC3 and NG are the better games when you look at gameplay.

Music-wise, I really like the DMC3 soundtrack, one of my favorites easily.[/QUOTE]
I completely agree. As far as gameplay goes DMC3 is king. I like far better than NG even. I'm talking the total package though. Very few action games give it to you. My favorite game of all time is Resident Evil 4, and even its total package isn't as good as GoW's. If only because of GoW's story and music.

[quote name='sonicdescent']amazon really shit the bed on this one, seems pre-orders going as far back as last year are being delayed until next week.[/quote]

Mine shipped today. The slight delay is a small price to pay for no tax/free shipping (and in my case, $6 discount off of MSRP) IMO.

[quote name='willardhaven']Amazon is great, free saver shipping is worth the wait.[/quote]

I just joined prime, i got my moneys worth in the free month trial alone..since I received all pre orders on release day with the free 2 day shipping, I'm going to go there for all of my cd/dvd/game needs. I can't get stuff at wal mart at Midnight, but it's worth it to not pay tax or have to leave the house.

Apossum, it's a synching issue. It happens in games that do not do VSYNC... or whatever the equivalent on a TV is. It happened in the first one, it happened in the demo for the second one. Sure, 60fps most of the time is cool, but I'll take a synched image (At least in the case of God of War. For some reason, the synching on it is horrendous.) over that any day.

It has gotten a bit better as the game goes on, but the frame rate is pretty unstable. It's 60 when hardly anything is on the screen, but goes up and down a lot during fights. they should've just locked it at 30 or something. still pretty amazing to see them pull these kinds of graphics on the PS2, even if it doesn't run the best.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']You honestly think DMC has the same level of epicness that GoW has? Come on. Same with music and atmosphere. I liked the soundtrack to DMC3 well enough, but it doesn't even compare to GoW. As far as NG, well that soundtrack I completely ignored.

And I'm sorry, but a lot of things detract from DMC3 and NG that just make GoW the better package. Things like Dante being a complete moron in DMC3. Don't get me wrong I loved the game, but if Dante said one more metaphor involving the word party I was going to have to mute the game. Not to mention the other ridiculous things like being eaten by random flying, marine mammals and riding missles around like surfboards. Ninja Gaiden was better in that regard, but GoW still surpasses it in those areas.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the party lines and anything Dante said became a joke at the end....the same happens with kratos though. I can't take him very seriously. Every single last thing he says is supposed to be epicly angry, but it's just overblown...he's not calloused enough for a guy who has been through all that-- a big part of character development is how they react to situations. Kratos reacts the same way every time-- he pretends like it's the first time someone has crossed him and starts yelling "epic" threats to the gods. it gets old cause he isn't dynamic or complex at all.

so, NG takes the edge in story because it doesn't try to have a coherent one, it just lets you be a ninja without harassing you and occasionally has Ayane or Rachel say something about Doku or get eaten by a tentacle monster. :lol:

in any case, I don't really care. All three are the pinnacle action games, so why even argue about it...

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I completely agree. As far as gameplay goes DMC3 is king. I like far better than NG even. I'm talking the total package though. Very few action games give it to you. My favorite game of all time is Resident Evil 4, and even its total package isn't as good as GoW's. If only because of GoW's story and music.[/QUOTE]

Music? Some of us like DMC's schlock cock-rock, thanks. But you're right about GoW's main strength: presentation. Gameplay aside (and I'm woefully unimpressed by the story in all three games, so that's moot), stuff like Kratos seeing the temple on the titan's back for the first time absolutely destroys anything comparable in the other games. The polish in GoW is just par none. That said, I'll still pick Dante's razor sharp response time over Kratos's sluggish rolls any day, but different strokes for different folks.

bread's done
Back