The Official God Of War II Thread -Reviews/Help/Discussion/Spoilers

Music? Some of us like DMC's schlock cock-rock, thanks
No arguement there. See my previous statement of enjoying DMC's music. If you want some really good stuff in this vein check out Fukusawa's work in Chaos Legion.

And yes, DMC3's gameplay>all other action games, hands down.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Apossum, it's a synching issue. It happens in games that do not do VSYNC... or whatever the equivalent on a TV is. It happened in the first one, it happened in the demo for the second one. Sure, 60fps most of the time is cool, but I'll take a synched image (At least in the case of God of War. For some reason, the synching on it is horrendous.) over that any day.[/QUOTE]

VSYNC is turned off on a lot of 360 games too... I believe the reasoning is that VSYNC rounds down on a lot of things and caps frame rates much lower than it's supposed to be, so most developers these days don't use it, and most people don't notice.

[quote name='pete5883']In GoW1, I always felt that there was really only 1 song in the soundtrack, used in every stage. Was I wrong?[/QUOTE]
Very.

[quote name='pete5883']In GoW1, I always felt that there was really only 1 song in the soundtrack, used in every stage. Was I wrong?[/QUOTE] Somewhat. There was only one memorable song, and that's mostly because of repetition, not merit.

[quote name='Roufuss']VSYNC is turned off on a lot of 360 games too... I believe the reasoning is that VSYNC rounds down on a lot of things and caps frame rates much lower than it's supposed to be, so most developers these days don't use it, and most people don't notice.[/QUOTE]

I've rarely noticed it in other games, but it's painfully obvious in GoW2.

Once again, I'm at the same point at GoW2 as I was with GoW1--enjoying it but wondering why it gets such great reviews. It's so obviously sloppy in so many ways.

[quote name='Apossum']I've rarely noticed it in other games, but it's painfully obvious in GoW2.
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, from playing PC games for a good majority of my life, I can catch vsync stuff really easily, and I go into the options to turn it on, but alas, it's not there ;)

It's not a deal breaker for me, my eyes get used to it after awhile.

I'm still waiting for the God Of War figures to come out =/

[quote name='Apossum']I've rarely noticed it in other games, but it's painfully obvious in GoW2.[/quote]Same. I must not have any of these 360 games that don't do it since I can't say I've ever seen a sync issue on it.

[quote name='Apossum']I've rarely noticed it in other games, but it's painfully obvious in GoW2.[/QUOTE] It was obvious in GoW, also. But I didn't know what was going on. I've never seen it anywhere else.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Same. I must not have any of these 360 games that don't do it since I can't say I've ever seen a sync issue on it.[/QUOTE]
It's pretty noticeable in Saints Row.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']It's pretty noticeable in Saints Row.[/quote]Ah, well Buy.com has my copy in a state of permanent limbo.

I am fighting the three sisters or whatever they are called. I have already defeated 2 and am fighting the last one I believe. I have broken the left and right mirror but now I dont know what to do. I have tried breaking the middle mirror and I can't. Please help me.

it's official: this game is shit and completely broken.

what broke the deal for me (I'm playing on Hard mode, fwiw):
The 2nd form of Euryale when she's on the pillars. First, the timing is fucked up on the large beam that goes across the room. You have to deflect it a good 2 seconds before it actually hits you. A lot of times if you miss, it'll go right through you, THEN freeze you about 2 seconds later, giving you less time to break out of it. Next, when she shoots 3 little beams at you and you have deflect two of them---there's no timing to this at all. You have to get the second one to deflect it back at her--but any time you parry the first one, you're still in the animation by the time the second one hits--so you have to get really lucky and deflect the second one in like...a tenth of an animation frame :lol: You can run up and hit her to keep it going to the third form, but that takes forever (and the third form takes forever as well--I got like 100 hits off of her, whiffed like 2 rolls and died.)
Finally, every boss and miniboss up to Euryale has been nothing but an exercise in patience. The generally unpredictable timing and ridiculous amount of hits it takes to kill a boss reduces every boss fight to this: X,X,X, roll out of the way, X,X,X roll XXX roll XXX rolllllll ad nauseum. This is just crappy action game design--it's not an intelligent challenge at all.

That's pretty much the same way I got fed up with GoW1 w/ the "protect the VIP" part and the end boss, but that game was over in 8 hours...I guess I'm about 7 hours into this one :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']That's pretty much the same way I got fed up with GoW1 w/ the "protect the VIP" part and the end boss,[/QUOTE] But that part (and the rest of the game) was easy. At least on normal difficulty.

Maybe you should stick to fighters. ;)

[quote name='pete5883']In GoW1, I always felt that there was really only 1 song in the soundtrack, used in every stage. Was I wrong?[/QUOTE]
Well, I'm pretty sure the same song plays when you are fighting, and since you are fighting so much it's not hard to make that mistake.

[quote name='bjeong1381']I am fighting the three sisters or whatever they are called. I have already defeated 2 and am fighting the last one I believe. I have broken the left and right mirror but now I dont know what to do. I have tried breaking the middle mirror and I can't. Please help me.[/QUOTE]

There's only two sisters. The more evil/ugly looking one is the same one you fought on the giant sword, she's just going between mirrors now. After you destroy the left and right mirrors, the better looking sister will stand in front of the middle mirror. I did a combination of deflecting her projectiles back at her, and also attacking her up close. Eventually you'll get a button prompt, and after a couple more of those you'll kill her.

Apossum - You say the game is shit and broken and yet you continue to play? And you also thought the first game was broken, yet you bought the sequel? Confused. That part was a bitch I agree, but I don't think I had as hard of a time that you seemed to have had. The timing with the fleece doesn't really have to be spot on, I frequently just tap L1 in a rhythm vs. trying to hit it at the exact point.

[quote name='Apossum']it's official: this game is shit and completely broken.

The 2nd form of Euryale when she's on the pillars. First, the timing is fucked up on the large beam that goes across the room. You have to deflect it a good 2 seconds before it actually hits you. A lot of times if you miss, it'll go right through you, THEN freeze you about 2 seconds later, giving you less time to break out of it. Next, when she shoots 3 little beams at you and you have deflect two of them---there's no timing to this at all. You have to get the second one to deflect it back at her--but any time you parry the first one, you're still in the animation by the time the second one hits--so you have to get really lucky and deflect the second one in like...a tenth of an animation frame :lol: You can run up and hit her to keep it going to the third form, but that takes forever (and the third form takes forever as well--I got like 100 hits off of her, whiffed like 2 rolls and died.)
Finally, every boss and miniboss up to Euryale has been nothing but an exercise in patience. The generally unpredictable timing and ridiculous amount of hits it takes to kill a boss reduces every boss fight to this: X,X,X, roll out of the way, X,X,X roll XXX roll XXX rolllllll ad nauseum. This is just crappy action game design--it's not an intelligent challenge at all.

That's pretty much the same way I got fed up with GoW1 w/ the "protect the VIP" part and the end boss, but that game was over in 8 hours...I guess I'm about 7 hours into this one :lol:[/QUOTE]

It's funny because I had a problem with that part too. Was pissed until I realized something. You don't have to deflect a single thing to win that battle. In fact, deflecting takes longer and is actually bad.

When she climbs the pillar run up to her, and start attacking. You'll hit her tail. When she swings at you, just block. When she does the big ground wave DON'T JUMP. If it freezes you mid-jump, you'll instantly die. Let it hit you, and shake out. Repeat until dead.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']But that part (and the rest of the game) was easy. At least on normal difficulty.

Maybe you should stick to fighters. ;)[/QUOTE]

I got through them on normal which was just a little annoying, but they were a royal pain in the ass on God mode. esp the end boss. It's not that it's difficult, it's that they bump up the difficulty artificially by making everything take 10000 hits to kill and making you repeat the same patterns over and over.
hey, I'm also an action game fan :)

I like how the difficulty adjusts in Ninja Gaiden--they change the enemies completely and make them smarter about attacking you, meaning you have to think a few moves ahead instead of sitting there doing the same thing over and over.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']
It's funny because I had a problem with that part too. Was pissed until I realized something. You don't have to deflect a single thing to win that battle. In fact, deflecting takes longer and is actually bad.

When she climbs the pillar run up to her, and start attacking. You'll hit her tail. When she swings at you, just block. When she does the big ground wave DON'T JUMP. If it freezes you mid-jump, you'll instantly die. Let it hit you, and shake out. Repeat until dead.
[/quote]

that's pretty much what I was doing after I realized they screwed up the whole deflection thing. After dealing with her 3rd form patiently many times, I got fed up since I noticed every boss fight was going down the same way, except it was taking longer and longer to beat them. I'm sure the last boss takes like 2 hours of "x,x,x,roll" to kill him/her.

in any case, it's not worth the time. I'll just read the spoilers, find out what happens, pick up GoW3 on launch day and get fed up with it, repeat :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']it's official: this game is shit and completely broken.

That's pretty much the same way I got fed up with GoW1 w/ the "protect the VIP" part and the end boss, but that game was over in 8 hours...I guess I'm about 7 hours into this one :lol:[/quote]

fighting her is all about timing except for after you knock her off the pillar then you just have to be smart and not get caught up in a combo you cant control.
i was pretty mad at the fight too at first but its pretty easy after a few tries. the big beam across the floor is easily avoided 2 ways one waiting till the right moment to jump up over it before it spreads and 2 jumping in the air and attacking her. you do that and it will keep you in the air while the beam spreads and you wont get hit.

and yes im playing on god mode so i know the frustration of having to fight her over and over.

[quote name='Apossum']I got through them on normal which was just a little annoying, but they were a royal pain in the ass on God mode. esp the end boss. It's not that it's difficult, it's that they bump up the difficulty artificially by making everything take 10000 hits to kill and making you repeat the same patterns over and over.
hey, I'm also an action game fan :)

I like how the difficulty adjusts in Ninja Gaiden--they change the enemies completely and make them smarter about attacking you, meaning you have to think a few moves ahead instead of sitting there doing the same thing over and over.

that's pretty much what I was doing after I realized they screwed up the whole deflection thing. After dealing with her 3rd form patiently many times, I got fed up since I noticed every boss fight was going down the same way, except it was taking longer and longer to beat them. I'm sure the last boss takes like 2 hours of "x,x,x,roll" to kill him/her.

in any case, it's not worth the time. I'll just read the spoilers, find out what happens, pick up GoW3 on launch day and get fed up with it, repeat :lol:[/QUOTE]

It's not worth the time? If you hate how long it takes to beat them, just beat the game on Spartan.

quick queston; the bonus DVD won't play on my PS2 as when I insert it it asks if I want to temporarily change the parental settings to 8 then asks for a passcode that I don't have. I bought my PS2 used, so I have no idea what passcode it is reffering to. Is there any way to override this?

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']quick queston; the bonus DVD won't play on my PS2 as when I insert it it asks if I want to temporarily change the parental settings to 8 then asks for a passcode that I don't have. I bought my PS2 used, so I have no idea what passcode it is reffering to. Is there any way to override this?[/quote]

yeah they ps2 has a kind of parental block for dvds but i didnt know it was for games too. id look over at game faqs for the faq on the ps2 itself and they should have an awnser to resetting the parental locks. then just choose a simple code like 0000 that you know you wont forget.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']It's not worth the time? If you hate how long it takes to beat them, just beat the game on Spartan.[/QUOTE]

hate how long it takes and how repetitive it is. Oh well, I only paid $9 after store credit and got $33 for it today.

The clerk literally said "what the fuck?" I'm a regular and no one else was there, so it was kind of expected :lol:

Just beat the game on Normal in about 12 hours. Loved this game, and I hated the original. OMFG I'm ready for GoW 3 already. :)

But seriously, it's going to suck knowing the sequel is so far away.

[quote name='zewone']Loved this game, and I hated the original.[/quote]

but this is just more of the same from the original.

not too enthralled with the final boss fight and i beat it on god mode. the ending story was cool but i dunno how you can make a full game when the ending ends like that.heres to hoping titan mode will be more of a challenge and wtf is with the final fate? she sucked end of story that was a joke of a fight but at least it wasnt super cheap like the one in the frst god of war. damn you kratos clones!!!!!!!!!! so i wanna know is the bonus disk worth checking out or should i just go ahead and do titan mode?

[quote name='A Happy Panda']It's alot better. Trust me.[/quote]

i beat it last night. i loved the game, don't get me wrong, but i'm baffled as to how you could hate one and like the other when the mechanics and gameplay are largely the same.

[quote name='Shmitty']i beat it last night. i loved the game, don't get me wrong, but i'm baffled as to how you could hate one and like the other when the mechanics and gameplay are largely the same.[/QUOTE]

I thought the sequal was a significant improvement over the original due to one thing: the pacing.

The first game only had a few major types of environments (Athens, the Temple, the mountains, and the very dissapointing Hades), where as in GoW2 it seemed like I was in a whole new type of environment after every hour. The generous supply of bosses and mini-bosses also helped break up the monotony. I felt like the first game started out great, but then dragged on from its midpoint, where as I was intially disspointed by GoW2, but grew to appreciate it more as the game wore on and continued to show me new cool stuff. Also, the puzzles were a lot tougher this time around and a lot more satisfying.

The game does share a few problems left over from the original like unbalanced subweapons and spells and the games are a bit too linear for my liking, but I would have given the first game a 7/10 and the second somewhere in the 8.5-9 range. It's really what the first game should have been.

This game is amazing. I loved the first but the fact that they put so many more boss battles in makes this one even better! Some of the bosses have been hard for me, but man I have loved every minute of it.

[quote name='afedock']Someone on gamefaqs got a 999,999 hit combo, where this link pops up on screen.
http://www.islandofrhodes.org/index.html

Probably the announcement of God of War 3?

Here is his combo video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C22cgOvxTXY[/QUOTE]

God of War was always meant to be a trilogy if I remember correctly. However I just read somewhere that David Jaffe suggests that the series could run even longer, ala Metal Gear.

Slowly making my way through the game. So far it's a blast and I'm enjoying it.

Smashing Theseus' head over and over in the doorway was pretty sweet. I caught myself laughing a little.

This game makes me remember why I loved my PS2 so much. The thing has been collecting dust since FFXII and the purchase of my 360, but it is getting some attention now.

Definately an improvement over the first game, and I can't help but be impressed at how well it looks for a "last gen" game.

I beat the game and i liked it alot. More bosses, great, more moves, great. I was very dissapointed in the ending though.

I just felt the ending gave me a .... to be continued, and all 12 hours of playing was for nothing really. I felt like i didnt accomplish anything.

The funniest part of the game has to go to the Barbarian boss, who brings back that guy you kept running into in God of war 1. The dude who says something like "oh no, not you again". That made me laugh, totally unexpected.

New website and countdown timer!!!

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/775/775375p1.html

www.islandofrhodes.org

18 days left...Read the IGN article, a Sony rep drops a a tiny hint which really doesn't amount to anything.

Anyone have guesses? The rep mentions that it isn't related to the upcoming PSP game so yeah....My guess is a movie deal or perhaps some other kind of licensing deal. Or my other guess is a deluxe limited edition version of the first God of War which includes the completed "lost levels", fixed gameplay mechanics and maybe some extra cut scenes.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']New website and countdown timer!!!

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/775/775375p1.html

www.islandofrhodes.org

18 days left...Read the IGN article, a Sony rep drops a a tiny hint which really doesn't amount to anything.

Anyone have guesses? The rep mentions that it isn't related to the upcoming PSP game so yeah....My guess is a movie deal or perhaps some other kind of licensing deal. Or my other guess is a deluxe limited edition version of the first God of War which includes the completed "lost levels", fixed gameplay mechanics and maybe some extra cut scenes.[/quote]

Re-releasing God of War on ps3 with an expansion pack?

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Re-releasing God of War on ps3 with an expansion pack?[/QUOTE]

Man that would be awesome. Unfortunately, although it doesn't flat out debunk that idea, the PS2 logo at the bottom is a bad sign.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Man that would be awesome. Unfortunately, although it doesn't flat out debunk that idea, the PS2 logo at the bottom is a bad sign.[/quote]

Yeah it is, however, if it had a Playstation 3 logo, that would debunk the whole point of having the countdown.

I didn't even make it halfway through the game I don't think before quitting.

It was just...too much like the first game. Felt more like an expansion pack than a whole new game.

Guess I was just expecting too much.

its probably some secret thats either on the game disk or on the bonus disk you have to do something special in the game to unlock. or it could be more bs like the whole super secret in gta san andreas. people are still to this day looking for that crap lmao.

[quote name='whoknows']I didn't even make it halfway through the game I don't think before quitting.

It was just...too much like the first game. Felt more like an expansion pack than a whole new game.

Guess I was just expecting too much.[/quote]

I don't how they could make a new game on the PS2, they already are pushing it to it's limits. However, I absolutely love the game, I am 85% through, and can't wait to finish it. Some of the boss fights are just amazing and the whole Epic feel to it is awesome.

Wow the game just got ultra-tedious and annoying...

I'm at the part where you have to pull the elevator, while killing all those skeleton warriors. I get to the bottom and I get stuck trying to open the door quickly, and killing the last of the enemies

Oh well.

bread's done
Back