The Official Guitar Hero II Thread (80's Edition Confirmed w/initial tracklist!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']4. Layla - Eric Clapton
[/QUOTE]

I thought Layla was by Derek and the Dominos? (Note: too lazy to Google this to confirm)

I'm getting better at the game, just played for two hours. How do you unlock the ability to buy new characters/new clothes?

[quote name='Z-Saber']I'm getting a lot more selective now that there are more of them out there. Overall, I think I've swapped in and out about 30 or more songs, but right now, I've only got about 14 that I think are solid enough to stay.[/quote] Yeah, there are at least five other songs that I like, but I didn't add them because I didn't think the notechart looked good or because the notechart was way too easy.

Somebody is making Deadbolt by Thrice. Can't wait for that one.

[quote name='Backlash']I thought Layla was by Derek and the Dominos? (Note: too lazy to Google this to confirm)[/quote]
It's the subtitle for the listing in the mag.

[quote name='Blackout542']I'm getting better at the game, just played for two hours. How do you unlock the ability to buy new characters/new clothes?[/quote]
You're playing career mode on easy, right? You only get money in Medium and up, which you can use at the store to buy new songs, guitars, outfits, and characters.

"Carry On Wayward Son" on Expert has at least two points where strumming AND whammy-ing is useful, though not essential. One is right after the intro and I can't remember the second one.

[quote name='Backlash']I thought Layla was by Derek and the Dominos? (Note: too lazy to Google this to confirm)[/quote]

it is Derek and the Dominos.

I so suck at GH. I have both GHI & II.
I played 1 for months before trying 2, which I started two nights ago.
I mention that I suck at it to say even though I have yet to beat a single song on med, and forget anything higher, I still find this game fun.
I think this is a huge testiment to the game that people would be willing to play through them on just easy and feel some accomplishment. I know some days I play a single song like six or seven times before asking my wife to beat it for me so I can move on to another group.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Damn. Crazy on You is kicking my ass early on on Hard. I'm talking single digit completion before failing. :lol: It looks like this songs carries on where Woman left off.[/QUOTE]

I had trouble with the intro on Expert. It's complicated. Nowadays, I can hit almost all of it, but it's the odd strumming for most of the rest of the song that I fuck up on sometimes. Damn you, Heart!

[quote name='Z-Saber']"Carry On Wayward Son" on Expert has at least two points where strumming AND whammy-ing is useful, though not essential. One is right after the intro and I can't remember the second one.[/quote]
I'm sorry, but I went through practice mode for that and didn't see anything that you needed to strum and whammy at the same time. Are we talking about the same thing?

Strumming and whammying at the same time = strumming up and/or down with the strum bar and whammying at the same time, not holding a fret button down while whammying.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Strumming and whammying at the same time = strumming up and/or down with the strum bar and whammying at the same time, not holding a fret button down while whammying.[/quote]Right. Later on in the week when I have time to hook my PS2 back up, I'll pinpoint the exact location and let you know. All I know is it's after the mini-solos in the intro and immediately after the last "swing" part of the intro. It's the two triplets followed by the long note leading into the piano section.

On Expert at least, those last two triplets and long note are star powered long notes and all but the last one would be impossible or extremely difficult to strum, whammy, strum, whammy, etc., without having your hand basically doing both at the same time.

So...don't whammy, then? The "shorter" longer notes I never whammy...only whammy if you've got enough time to comfortably move your hand to the whammy bar and back in time. Unless they're really long notes, the bulk of your star power is going to come from just hitting all the star notes in the sequence anyway.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']I felt that way, once upon a time. It was probably my biggest stumbling block in the game.

My advice? Set an afternoon aside and just keep playing it over and over again. Not in Practice Mode, just keep trying it in Career, and only go to Practice if you can't wrap your head around a certain part. This way, you'll slowly get better and better at the beginning half, have more room for error in the ending, and sooner or later the rest of the song will just "make sense" to you. Trust me on this.[/QUOTE]
I needed practice mode for the later, fast strumming parts, but I got through it, thanks. Oddly enough I went back to GH1 and beat Bark at the Moon, on expert, in 2 tries - I couldn't get past the 10% mark before I started GH2.

Now, how do I accurately hit a lot of fast notes? Even if it's the same note, I can't seem to strum quickly at the right rate. Misirlou is going to be impossible until I figure out how to do this. Any tips?

[quote name='pete5883']I needed practice mode for the later, fast strumming parts, but I got through it, thanks. Oddly enough I went back to GH1 and beat Bark at the Moon, on expert, in 2 tries - I couldn't get past the 10% mark before I started GH2.

Now, how do I accurately hit a lot of fast notes? Even if it's the same note, I can't seem to strum quickly at the right rate. Misirlou is going to be impossible until I figure out how to do this. Any tips?[/quote]
How are you strumming? Just one direction exclusively? If that's the case, try strumming up and down while trying to get the rythm down that's need to get past those fast sections perfectly. It may take some time, but that's what I do for those kinds of sections.

I meant to mention that I strum up and down during those sections. I just don't seem to be doing it at the right speed. If I have 5 quick notes in a row I can generally hit them all, however if its a long string of like 30 of the same note in a row, I miss about 1 in every 5.

[quote name='pete5883']I meant to mention that I strum up and down during those sections. I just don't seem to be doing it at the right speed. If I have 5 quick notes in a row I can generally hit them all, however if its a long string of like 30 of the same note in a row, I miss about 1 in every 5.[/quote]Yeah, it sounds like you just need some practice to get the timing down. You may not be strumming quickly enough to keep up.

Yay - just unlocked the Eyeball guitar ....Got 5 stars on every song on Hard.
Freebird took a lil while to get , but finally did. Not sure if i had to get 5 stars on all the bonus songs too, but did that as well.

Not even gonna attempt it on Expert though.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Yay - just unlocked the Eyeball guitar ....Got 5 stars on every song on Hard.
Freebird took a lil while to get , but finally did. Not sure if i had to get 5 stars on all the bonus songs too, but did that as well.

Not even gonna attempt it on Expert though.[/quote]I think I'm just gonna hack the guitars into my save. I mean, sure, I could go through Easy, Medium, and probably Hard and get five stars for the guitars, but that's a lot of effort playing really boring and dumbed down parts. Expert, on the other hand, is impossible for me. Solution? CodeBreaker.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I think I'm just gonna hack the guitars into my save. I mean, sure, I could go through Easy, Medium, and probably Hard and get five stars for the guitars, but that's a lot of effort playing really boring and dumbed down parts. Expert, on the other hand, is impossible for me. Solution? CodeBreaker.[/quote]

Yea, i didnt bother with medium or easy on GH2 at all. Went straight to expert, beat that, then went to Hard to try to 5 star everything.

I just picked up this game tonight at the Game Rush clearance for $25. I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Where's the cheapest place to get a guitar for it?
And meanwhile, how similar is it to Amplitude using a controller?
And can you use the new DVD remote, the one with a power button, with a 77001 model Slim PS2 as a controller?

[quote name='radjago']I just picked up this game tonight at the Game Rush clearance for $25. I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Where's the cheapest place to get a guitar for it?
And meanwhile, how similar is it to Amplitude using a controller?
And can you use the new DVD remote, the one with a power button, with a 77001 model Slim PS2 as a controller?[/quote]
Depends on what you want. Wireless controllers aren't cheap, but I've heard good things about the official wireless controller. Check here for some reviews on the wireless guitars. I don't think you're going to get one on the cheap, though, unless there are used ones out there.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Depends on what you want. Wireless controllers aren't cheap, but I've heard good things about the official wireless controller. Check here for some reviews on the wireless guitars. I don't think you're going to get one on the cheap, though, unless there are used ones out there.[/QUOTE]
My gaming space is very constrained, so a wireless guitar is useless to me. I actually prefer to have a cord so it feels like a more authentic guitar playing experience.

I'd like to stay away from used ones as they take a lot of wear and tear in regular use. As long as they're built well, I wouldn't mind a third party controller either.

[quote name='radjago']My gaming space is very constrained, so a wireless guitar is useless to me. I actually prefer to have a cord so it feels like a more authentic guitar playing experience.

I'd like to stay away from used ones as they take a lot of wear and tear in regular use. As long as they're built well, I wouldn't mind a third party controller either.[/quote]
The best way to get a wired guitar controller at retail is to buy one with either Guitar Hero or GHII, with GHII having the better controller of the two. I'm not sure that you'll be able to find a guitar controller around at retail, but it doesn't hurt to look/call. Red Octane themselves have the original guitar controller for $40.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The best way to get a wired guitar controller at retail is to buy one with either Guitar Hero or GHII, with GHII having the better controller of the two. I'm not sure that you'll be able to find a guitar controller around at retail, but it doesn't hurt to look/call. Red Octane themselves have the original guitar controller for $40.[/QUOTE]
I've seen a few around town, but most of them are third party wireless controllers. I'll have to call around some more.

What makes the GHII controller better than the GHI version? Also I've heard some third party guitars, especially ones made before GHII, are incompatible with GHII.

[quote name='radjago']I've seen a few around town, but most of them are third party wireless controllers. I'll have to call around some more.

What makes the GHII controller better than the GHI version? Also I've heard some third party guitars, especially ones made before GHII, are incompatible with GHII.[/quote]
The Cherry Red controller is more solidly built. The fret buttons and whammy bar feel a lot better with the Cherry Red controller rather than the original. Both work fine though, so it's not that big of a deal which one you get.

[quote name='chaarlieee']I can finally beat Through Fire And Flames by DragonForce. Trying to do better at Fury of the Storm, but the farthest I've got is 66%.[/quote]Yeah, Through Fire and Flames is great to play, incredibly hard, but possible. Fury of the Storm and Operation Ground and Pound, however, are impossible. Seriously. Try it fullspeed on practice mode (other speeds lock it up) and see how you do. They both get insane.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Yeah, Through Fire and Flames is great to play, incredibly hard, but possible. Fury of the Storm and Operation Ground and Pound, however, are impossible. Seriously. Try it fullspeed on practice mode (other speeds lock it up) and see how you do. They both get insane.[/quote] I have.

Farthest I can get in Fury of the Storm is 66% and even if I did pass 66%, the rest of the song after that is on a different level and there is no way I'd be able to finish the song..

Operation Ground and Pound is hard. The author told me there is supposed to be a hard mode, but I tried it once and my game locked up. Didn't check why it froze up because I've been lazy lately.

Today at work, I saw demo units of Guitar Hero II for the Xbox 360 (clearly labeled as such) shipping to a couple local stores, though the only one I can distinctly remember is Circuit City. So... I guess we should start checking stores over the weekend for demos.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The Cherry Red controller is more solidly built. The fret buttons and whammy bar feel a lot better with the Cherry Red controller rather than the original. Both work fine though, so it's not that big of a deal which one you get.[/QUOTE]
I ended up picking up one of each and I can definitely feel the difference.

Wow.. after playing so many custom songs--most custom songs that aren't even good OR hard, I finally went back and played Freebird, the song I used to think was hard as hell.

Easy shit. I beat my previous highest score by a few hundred thousand. After beating Through Fire and Flames, all the regular Guitar Hero songs seem too damn easy.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Today at work, I saw demo units of Guitar Hero II for the Xbox 360 (clearly labeled as such) shipping to a couple local stores, though the only one I can distinctly remember is Circuit City. So... I guess we should start checking stores over the weekend for demos.[/QUOTE]

Let's hope I can play The Trooper in stores, 'cuz that's probably the only way I'll have access to it.

[quote name='chaarlieee']Wow.. after playing so many custom songs--most custom songs that aren't even good OR hard, I finally went back and played Freebird, the song I used to think was hard as hell.

Easy shit. I beat my previous highest score by a few hundred thousand. After beating Through Fire and Flames, all the regular Guitar Hero songs seem too damn easy.[/QUOTE]

You think that's easy? I finally went back to GH1 the other day to see what it was like...it's hilarious how easy Bark at the Moon is on Expert, now that I can beat GH2 on Expert. Seriously, Tattooed Love Boys might be harder than BatM, and Tattooed Love Boys is a cake walk.

[quote name='radjago']I ended up picking up one of each and I can definitely feel the difference.[/quote]
Now imagine how a well-used Black and White controller compares to a new Cherry Red controller. :lol:

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Now imagine how a well-used Black and White controller compares to a new Cherry Red controller. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Actually it's a brand new Black SG and a lightly used Red SG, but I can imagine.

I'm thinking of selling my copies of Guitar Hero 1 + 2 for PS2 because of the 360 version coming out.

Does anyone have any tips to where the best place to sell them would be? I was thinking the CAG trading forum, but the shipping would kill it.

Also if I end up going the Ebay route, how would I ship the thing. Would I have to get a box at UPS or something like that?

Thanks!

If you live in/near a big city you could try Craig's List to avoid shipping entirely. I did that for a fe really big/heavy items.

[quote name='asianxcore']
Also if I end up going the Ebay route, how would I ship the thing. Would I have to get a box at UPS or something like that?
![/QUOTE]

Yes.

I had to do this to ship some Samba De Amigo maracas.

Shipping big/heavy stuff isn't really that bad if it's not huge. Just box it up like normal and take it to a UPS store. UPS ground is usually pretty cheap and relatively quick.

[quote name='radjago']Are there any other PS2 games that can be played competently with the guitar controller, like Frequency or Amplitude?[/quote]You can play Frequency and Amplitude with the guitar controller? I'll have to try that.

Anyway, I tried the 360 GH demo at BestBuy yesterday. Just one song, the only new one... and I can't remember the name of it or who does it... sorry. Anyway, it was pretty easy and didn't seem all that different from the rest of the game. The graphics were of course much better, but not enough for me to sell my PS2 stuff. The guitar would take some getting used to and definitely feels different, but I wouldn't say it's better or worse.

My only complaint is a pretty stupid one. You know how Microsoft requires that all their 360 demo units be hooked up to those Samsung flatpanels? It presents a bit of a problem with Guitar Hero II: it's laggy. Fortunately, you can calibrate the lag just like on the retail PS2 version.

[quote name='Z-Saber']You can play Frequency and Amplitude with the guitar controller? I'll have to try that.[/QUOTE]
Unless the OP was saying he did find a way, I'd say no, you can't. At least not Amplitude... I don't have Frequency. In Amplitude, while you can assign the beats to be whatever button you want, you can't edit how you change tracks. It's always left and right on the stick or D-pad, which the SG has no correlation to (strum button is up and down).

[quote name='Z-Saber']You know how Microsoft requires that all their 360 demo units be hooked up to those Samsung flatpanels? It presents a bit of a problem with Guitar Hero II: it's laggy. Fortunately, you can calibrate the lag just like on the retail PS2 version.[/QUOTE]

Wow it was laggy on 360?

One of the main selling points of the 360 version, was I hoping it wouldn't be laggy on my LCD TV. The PS2 version of GH2 (even with calibration) had hiccups and bits of lag when I tried to play on expert.

Would the lag on the 360 be a software problem, or something dealing completely with the TV?

[quote name='asianxcore']Wow it was laggy on 360?

One of the main selling points of the 360 version, was I hoping it wouldn't be laggy on my LCD TV. The PS2 version of GH2 (even with calibration) had hiccups and bits of lag when I tried to play on expert.

Would the lag on the 360 be a software problem, or something dealing completely with the TV?[/quote]When I say "laggy," I don't mean the Xbox is dropping frames (though that did actually happen at one point). I mean the A/V sync isn't perfect. The audio is ahead of the TV because the TV, being an LCD, has a slow response time. It's a problem completely caused by the TV, not the 360. Calibration is supposed to help, but for some reason, I completely suck after calibrating it, both on the PS2 and 360. Thing is, I'm not exactly awesome when it's lagging and not calibrated.

My TV (a Toshiba DLP) has a very slight amount of lag and doesn't need to be calibrated. I also play it regularly on a normal CRT TV. The 360 version would be fine for me in either case since the lag on the DLP would likely be the same as the PS2 version and it shouldn't have any lag on the CRT.

What do you guys think the chances are of getting the X360 extras in the rumored 80's edition? I would love to play The Trooper (or any Maiden song), but don't yet have a 360 and even if I did, can't really justify spending another 80 bucks on something I pretty much already have.

[quote name='Zmonkay']What do you guys think the chances are of getting the X360 extras in the rumored 80's edition? I would love to play The Trooper (or any Maiden song), but don't yet have a 360 and even if I did, can't really justify spending another 80 bucks on something I pretty much already have.[/QUOTE]
I have The Trooper on my PS2 Guitar Hero II..

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back