The Official Guitar Hero II Thread (80's Edition Confirmed w/initial tracklist!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='mcgavin27']Gawd, why did they have to add new tracks to the 360 version thus making me buy that version as well?[/QUOTE]
To reward the people that are waiting for the 360 version

[quote name='Salmonday']I just saw the 80s announcement in EGM and almost had a heart attack. YES![/QUOTE]

The bigger thing in the EGM about GH is the rumor that Harmonix will no longer be developing the series.

That damn well better not be true.

[quote name='Logain8955']The bigger thing in the EGM about GH is the rumor that Harmonix will no longer be developing the series.

That damn well better not be true.[/QUOTE]

That would be terrible.

[quote name='ndshide']Was this announcement (80's edition) in the rumor mill or should I take it as a guarantee?[/quote]
It's from their big 2007 feature of games to look out for during the year. It's not officially annouced, but they say it's coming. I'm sure that they're working on something to release on PS2 around the same time that the 360 version is released.

I've decided to pass on the 360 version. I recently bought it for PS2...working my way through Hard right now, about halfway done, and none of the new songs are anything special to me.

Plus all of my friends own the PS2 version, and if I sold the PS2 one for the 360 one, I 'd no longer be able to take my guitar over to pretty much any of my friend's houses (EVERYONE has this game) to have face-off's.

But if Guitar Hero III rolls around on 360....

Sold.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. I can't believe The Trooper is on the 360 version. Argggh![/QUOTE]

My exact thoughts. Whenever someone asks me, hey, what's a good song that should be in GH, I instantly say "They should put in Maiden, like The Trooper, that's a great song!" fuck

Ok wtf... I'm stuck on the last 3 (4) songs of expert... 4 star'd beast and the harlet. Misirlou is... well not humanly possible. Institutionalized is the worst song in the entire game and follows next to no beat with some guy yelling about killing himself or something in the background making it hard to focus. Hanger 18 is doable but haven't played it enough...

Seriously... Misirlou..I can't even strum that fast on my actual guitar much less a controller, any tips? Is it actually not that fast, maybe I'm going too fast?

Hanger 18 is one of my favorite songs, the only part I have trouble with is the very begining. I lack the proper rhythm; I always go too fast.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Ok wtf... I'm stuck on the last 3 (4) songs of expert... 4 star'd beast and the harlet. Misirlou is... well not humanly possible. Institutionalized is the worst song in the entire game and follows next to no beat with some guy yelling about killing himself or something in the background making it hard to focus. Hanger 18 is doable but haven't played it enough...

Seriously... Misirlou..I can't even strum that fast on my actual guitar much less a controller, any tips? Is it actually not that fast, maybe I'm going too fast?[/quote]

[quote name='crystalklear64']Ok wtf... I'm stuck on the last 3 (4) songs of expert... 4 star'd beast and the harlet. Misirlou is... well not humanly possible. Institutionalized is the worst song in the entire game and follows next to no beat with some guy yelling about killing himself or something in the background making it hard to focus. Hanger 18 is doable but haven't played it enough...

Seriously... Misirlou..I can't even strum that fast on my actual guitar much less a controller, any tips? Is it actually not that fast, maybe I'm going too fast?[/QUOTE]

It's damn fast. You really have to train your wrist for a while to be able to do it. Just keep practicing.

Seriously... Misirlou..I can't even strum that fast on my actual guitar much less a controller, any tips? Is it actually not that fast, maybe I'm going too fast?[/QUOTE]

I dunno, strumming up and down on that was never a problem for me...it's the quick switching WHILE strumming that fast that gets me.

And do not speak ill of Institutionalized. It's certainly not the worst song in the game. Next to no beat? It has a very distinct beat, it's just fast. That song rules.

[quote name='Logain8955']No longer rumor. RedOctane has confirmed that Neversoft is in.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164302.html?tag=latestnews;title;1

Neversoft *might* do the series justice. I'll be buying GH3, but they damn well better do it right.

Hopefully we'll hear what Harmonix is working on next....I'd love a spiritual successor to Freq/Amp, personally.[/QUOTE]

This is very bad, in my opinion. One installment a year would have been fine, but they're going to run this into the ground with just as many sequels as Tony Hawk had. *sigh*

[quote name='Blind the Thief']
This is very bad, in my opinion. One installment a year would have been fine, but they're going to run this into the ground with just as many sequels as Tony Hawk had. *sigh*[/QUOTE]

Agreed. We don't want this turning into something like....the DDR series

I really hope Neversoft doesn't mess up the series.

After playing THP8 though, I have hopes that they will nail a great soundtrack. The fact that Slayer showed up on that soundtrack as well as local Texas hardcore band Die Young, really surprised me.

Can we change the thread title to "80's Edition Rumored in EGM" until it is confirmed for release? I've seen nothing other than EGM saying "it will be out, trust us."

[quote name='Blind the Thief']This is very bad, in my opinion. One installment a year would have been fine, but they're going to run this into the ground with just as many sequels as Tony Hawk had. *sigh*[/QUOTE]

Tony Hawk games only come out once a year. ;)

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Tony Hawk games only come out once a year. ;)[/QUOTE]

Hm, then perhaps this is a bad thing too? To me, it really seems like they sequeled the HELL out of TH games, to the point that many people that loved the first few games didn't even care. I really don't want to see Guitar Hero become that.

[quote name='Kayden']Interesting, but I'm far too lazy. :lol:

I'll just wait for someone to make an ISO.[/quote]It's extremely easy.

I'm going to start working through these songs tomorrow. This is easily going to take me 3 months though. God. I'm going to try to do all the co-op and vs. stuff as well because otherwise all this would be worthless as far as I'm concerned.

Really though, this is probably only for me and my friends. I'm sure some of you will hate some of the song choices but whatever, you know?

White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
U2 - Beautiful Day
Modest Mouse - Float On
Bright Eyes - Poison Oak
The Stroke - 12:51

Incubus - Megalomaniac
Green Day - Brain Stew
Beastie Boys - Sabotage
Rage Against The Machine - Guerrilla Radio
Brand New - You Won't Know

Foo Fighters - Everlong
Green Day - Jesus of Suburbia
My Chemical Romance - Helena
Smashing Pumpkins - 1979
Linkin Park - Faint

Blur - Song 2
The Offspring - The Kids Aren't All Right
Bush - Machinehead
The Vines - Get Free
Radiohead - Paranoid Andriod

Andrew W.K. - Party Till You Puke
The Bravery - An Honest Mistake
The Used and My Chemical Romance - Under Pressure
No Doubt - New
Third Eye Blind - Can't Get Away

Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal
Fall Out Boy - Dance, Dance
Good Charlotte - S.O.S
The Eels - Novocaine for the Soul
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Gold Lion

Semisonic - Closing Time
Verve Pipe - The Freshmen
Everclear - I Will Buy You A New Life
Oasis - Don't Look Back In Anger
Marcy Playground - Sex and Candy

The Cars - Just What I Needed
The Steve Miller Band - The Joker
Brian Wilson - Barbara Ann
Led Zepplin - Stairway to Heaven
The Who - Baba O' Reily

Electric Six - Danger! High Voltage!
Yellowcard - Ocean Ave.
The All- American Rejects - Dance Inside
The All- American Rejects - Top of the World
The Killers - All These Things I've Done
The Killers - Mr. Brightside
The Killers - Somebody Told Me
Weezer - Tired of Sex
Weezer - The Good Life
Weezer - El Scorcho
Weezer - Blast Off
Weezer - Only In Dreams
The Rentals - The Love I'm Searching For
The Rentals - Waiting
The Rentals - Friends of P
The Rentals - My Summer Girl
The Rentals - Overlee
Ozma - Shooting Stars
Ozma - Baseball
Ozma - Battlescars
Ozma - Los Angeles
Ozma - Korobeiniki (Tetris Theme)
DJ Tim - OOHWeed!
Nirvana vs. Missy Elliot - Smells Like Missy

More than half way through expert in GH1. I love how every time you're able to move up a difficulty level, it's like a whole new game.

I just hope my new skills can transfer over to GHII. I need to get past that Living End song to move forward. Well, really, I just need to get past the fucking intro.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']I'm going to start working through these songs tomorrow. This is easily going to take me 3 months though. God. I'm going to try to do all the co-op and vs. stuff as well because otherwise all this would be worthless as far as I'm concerned.

Really though, this is probably only for me and my friends. I'm sure some of you will hate some of the song choices but whatever, you know?

[giganto list of songs][/quote]Really, good luck with that. The people on Score Hero that are very good at this have only managed to do about ten songs at most. Now, there is one guy who has just straight up converted people's Freetar stuff into GHII and redid the whole soundtrack, but most of his stuff is completely out of sync and not even worth trying.

[quote name='Kayden']Do it for me? :lol:[/quote]All you have to do is copy the files and folders from the disc, open the main archive up with GHex, import your MP3/WAV of the song, and load someone's MIDI for that song. Then, make an ISO of that to burn or load up with HDL and you're all set. Seriously, it's totally simple and completely worth it.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Beat GHII on Expert... good times. Now I'm just trying to beat Jordon and that'll be every song.[/quote]Good luck. It's been a few months since I beat it on Expert and I still haven't gotten over 57% in Jordan.

Does it update the new track title and % break down? Do you add songs or totally replace them? I looked over some songs, but I noticed a lot of them are expert only. :( I'm n00bc@kez. I play medium.

[quote name='Z-Saber']
All you have to do is copy the files and folders from the disc, open the main archive up with GHex, import your MP3/WAV of the song, and load someone's MIDI for that song. Then, make an ISO of that to burn or load up with HDL and you're all set. Seriously, it's totally simple and completely worth it.
[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']Does it update the new track title and % break down?[/quote]Track title, no. Percentage... maybe? I'm not sure, but I think so.

[quote name='Kayden']Do you add songs or totally replace them?[/quote]Replace.

[quote name='Kayden']I looked over some songs, but I noticed a lot of them are expert only. :( I'm n00bc@kez. I play medium.[/quote]I'd say 99% are Expert only, since 99% of the ScoreHero regulars are Expert players. I'm sure lower difficulties will come eventually, or you could even just modify their MIDIs to include it. Making a MIDI from scratch is really tough, but just adding in another difficulty isn't that bad.

Great Googily Moogily! Damn, now I really need to look into modding my PS2. Hmmm, since it appears you can do HOs/POs with your custom songs, I wonder if that code will make it easier to add them into frets on fire?

I"ve gotten Smooth Criminal and some Daft Punk and Bloodhound Gang on my PS2 and although its very hard to play through since a lot of these first tracks are essentially test sessions. Once people get a good hang of creating new tracks and the developmental software improves, things are going to get crazy.

Scorehero has got like over fourty songs up now but again, some will sync a lot worse than others. Other times people will make poor design decisions, such as throwing in extra notes on Smooth Criminal even though there's no guitar part for them. Neverthelesss, this is pretty exciting and even though I'm still learning all this I think it'll definitely give GH2 some life.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']I"ve gotten Smooth Criminal and some Daft Punk and Bloodhound Gang on my PS2 and although its very hard to play through since a lot of these first tracks are essentially test sessions. Once people get a good hang of creating new tracks and the developmental software improves, things are going to get crazy.

Scorehero has got like over fourty songs up now but again, some will sync a lot worse than others. Other times people will make poor design decisions, such as throwing in extra notes on Smooth Criminal even though there's no guitar part for them. Neverthelesss, this is pretty exciting and even though I'm still learning all this I think it'll definitely give GH2 some life.[/quote]Check out Galiath's and ChrisVance's stuff. They have the best synched songs from what I've seen, but I've not tried a ton. Seriously though, those two have it almost perfect.

Wouldn't it be easier to buy a USB-PS2 controller adapter and play Freetar Hero on the PC? It may not be as pretty, but it certainly gets the job done. Plus, it's way easier to make songs.

Nice. The last I read about adding custom songs, it was in the early stages.

Looks pretty far ahead now, I'm going to look at some songs.

Edit: NOT nice.. for stealing and not giving credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back