The Official Guitar Hero II Thread (80's Edition Confirmed w/initial tracklist!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm definitely not getting past Woman (the fourth song of the first set) on Hard at any point in time. I practiced and practiced and practiced again and still can't seem to get it down. I can get it on slower and slow, but when it's back up to normal speed things never change. I'm guessing the only change I could make is to try to actually strum every HOPO note, but that sounds even more impossible.[/quote]
:lol: Don't feel bad. I spent an HOUR on the opening trying to get 100% on expert.... on slower. :lol: I did do it though. I actually found that I was playing too fast. I hold yellow with my pointer and orange with my ring and then hammer on to red with my pointer, hammer on to yellow with my middle and then hammer on yellow with my ring- it winds up being like rapping your fingers on a table, just on a guitar. Then I move pointer and ring back to yellow/orange and then jump all the way up to green yellow with my pointer/ring.

However, I'm probably not one to really advise as I can only 5 star about 7 songs on medium. :oops:

Just got Guitar Hero 1 tonight after playing so much of 2... it's still alot of fun, so it definitely is possible to go backwards.

If you haven't seen GameSpot's Game of the Year Awards, they only gave GHII a nomination for Best Rhythm/Music game of the year and it lost to Elite Beat Agents.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']If you haven't seen GameSpot's Game of the Year Awards, they only gave GHII a nomination for Best Rhythm/Music game of the year and it lost to Elite Beat Agents.[/QUOTE]

While I haven't played Elite Beat Agents, I highly doubt it can come close to Guitar Hero 2... the game is like rhythm / music perfection. Way better songs, too.

After playing a ton of Guitar Hero 1 last night, I do now miss some of the small changes they made in GH 2... namely the way you can view the breakdown's of the songs to see where exactly you messed up.

So a friend of mine and I realized we'd never tried it after hearing horrible things, so we played Yes We Canco-op last night on Expert...seriously, I don't know what's wrong with you guys. That song is so obnoxious, it's easily the best song to play at a party. I especially liked the whistle part.

So, why hasn't anyone on the internet hacked this game to find its delicious secret songs yet? You know there have to be some in there.

It would be so crazy if when they do it on the 360 it can support user created song renditions. Although I'm sure the copyright shennigans surrounding that would not let it fly :(

[quote name='Blind the Thief']
So, why hasn't anyone on the internet hacked this game to find its delicious secret songs yet? You know there have to be some in there.[/QUOTE]

From what I read on the GH message board, the game was hacked and they found no hidden songs. But, as with anything on the Internets, take with a grain (or more) of salt.

[quote name='Roufuss']Fo Sho.

I found this... seriously, who needs a guide to Guitar Hero 2? I really can't understand what purpose this serves:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8120339&type=product&productCategoryId=cat02171&id=1158319080269[/quote]

Sad thing is, if you actually look at the guide, you immediately notice 2 things:

1) All the guide does is show you all of the notes for all of the songs on all of the difficulty settings (so it shows you the order of notes and how far apart they are spaced... might help when planning out where exactly to try and save up your star power for).

2) At the bottom of EVERY page it says something to the effect of: we wrote this guide when the game was in developmental stages, so don't be surprised if the guide is wrong.

[quote name='Warner1281']Sad thing is, if you actually look at the guide, you immediately notice 2 things:

1) All the guide does is show you all of the notes for all of the songs on all of the difficulty settings (so it shows you the order of notes and how far apart they are spaced... might help when planning out where exactly to try and save up your star power for).

2) At the bottom of EVERY page it says something to the effect of: we wrote this guide when the game was in developmental stages, so don't be surprised if the guide is wrong.[/quote]

:rofl: So sad...

I just beat Freebird on expert a couple hours ago. It's my first Harmonix victory, and I've been playing their games since FreQuency.

I also just got a slot to a GH2 tournament that the local classic rock radio station is running :D Today's looking to be an awesome GH day.

Finally got around to play the co-op mode today and I loved it. It's very fun to be able to play these songs with others rather than against them or alone. I found out that my regular gaming TV here on break sucks in co-op (has no stereo sound), so I had to hook the sound up to the better TV above it to hear the whole songs and rock out that much more efficiently.

I also managed to get around Woman on hard by using my SP's more often and managed to get by with 3 stars. Got up to Carry On My Wayward Son before stopping. Strutter's really easy, got a 5 star when the rest of the hard songs were 3 starred.

The more I play the more I'm confused by GHII's shunning by GameSpot's game awards.

I've been playing Carry on Wayward Son and War Pigs more lately. I'm trying to get 100% on some expert songs. :D Wish there was a GHII tournament around here.

ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND BARS IN THE NEW YORK CITY AREA THAT HAVE WEEKLY GUITAR HERO EVENTS? I'm trying to write a story about bars that have GH nights where people come in and play together. I know of a few spots in Brooklyn and have heard of a few in Manhattan, but I"m having a tough time.....if anyone has any advice as to places, people to talk to, or forums where I might find this info, I would be greatful. Thanks!
-Ben

And now I'm pissed.

fucking save file corrupted today. Everything. Gone. I have a tournament in 2 weeks, and I dont have enough time to unlock everything back up to last tier, practice how I want and get everything else done.

God fucking damnit.

[quote name='Logain8955']And now I'm pissed.

fucking save file corrupted today. Everything. Gone. I have a tournament in 2 weeks, and I dont have enough time to unlock everything back up to last tier, practice how I want and get everything else done.

God fucking damnit.[/quote]

o_O? I unlocked everything in about a week starting at horribly sucky. Course, that was medium... Cant you just fly through it on easy and play them on expert with practice?

[quote name='Kayden']o_O? I unlocked everything in about a week starting at horribly sucky. Course, that was medium... Cant you just fly through it on easy and play them on expert with practice?[/quote]
Not the encores...have to be on at least medium to open 'em up...and easy stops either at, or just after, "Furious Fretwork" so you'd have to open up that last set (or two) on medium, too.....but otherwise yeah, you could.

[quote name='Kayden']o_O? I unlocked everything in about a week starting at horribly sucky. Course, that was medium... Cant you just fly through it on easy and play them on expert with practice?[/QUOTE]

I unlocked everything on the Expert the day it came out. It ain't too hard. Anyway, I finally got around to registering all my scores on Scorehero. Everything is up to date as of now.

http://www.scorehero.com/scores.php?user=5192&game=2&diff=4

I just beat freebird on expert.

I've played it maybe 10-15 times total. Half the time I played on hard, the other half on expert.

I don't play this game very often, I probably pick it up once or twice a week. I really haven't picked it up more than 20-25 times total.

I guess I can say I can beat every song in the game now.

Getting 5 stars or 100% on every song on expert, however..

I can't imagine any way I'll ever beat Freya on Expert. I can only get about 60-70% on that long repetitive passage towards the end, and getting to it is a problem.

[quote name='pete5883']I can't imagine any way I'll ever beat Freya on Expert. I can only get about 60-70% on that long repetitive passage towards the end, and getting to it is a problem.[/QUOTE]

Freya was one of the more challenging songs my first day. The secret is to take everything slower than you would think. The green, orange, yellow/blue riff is easy if you can just nail the timing. Also, if you're trying it with hammer-ons, strum every note, and if you're not, try HO's. Might make it a bit easier.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Freya was one of the more challenging songs my first day. The secret is to take everything slower than you would think. The green, orange, yellow/blue riff is easy if you can just nail the timing. Also, if you're trying it with hammer-ons, strum every note, and if you're not, try HO's. Might make it a bit easier.[/quote]

I speak from experience, it is very finger numbing. It's not that that part is tough by itself per se, but when you have to keep it up for a good minute or so, it gets annoying.

Also, I wanted to share that I saw in the paper someone was advertising themselves as a multi-tournament winning Guitar Hero teacher. What dost thou think about that? Sounds weird to me. :roll:

[quote name='DJ K8E']Also, I wanted to share that I saw in the paper someone was advertising themselves as a multi-tournament winning Guitar Hero teacher. What dost thou think about that? Sounds weird to me. :roll:[/quote]

sounds like someone who needs a job to me.

I had the hardest time with the rapid repeat notes. I cant even 5 star that Cheap Trick song on medium. The intro fucks me up so bad. Same with Hangar 18.

However, I 5 started Laid to Rest. =\

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Freya was one of the more challenging songs my first day. The secret is to take everything slower than you would think. The green, orange, yellow/blue riff is easy if you can just nail the timing. Also, if you're trying it with hammer-ons, strum every note, and if you're not, try HO's. Might make it a bit easier.[/QUOTE]
I can't nail the timing for the whole passage. Went into practice and did slowest, slower, slow, could get 70%ish on that bridge by cheating and using the base of my middle and ring fingers to hit yellow/blue instead of my fingertips. I tried doing HO's for a while, but it would cause me to miss green and orange too often. When I went to play the song for real, after 3 or 4 tries I couldn't even get up to that point in the song. :bomb:

[quote name='pete5883']I can't nail the timing for the whole passage. Went into practice and did slowest, slower, slow, could get 70%ish on that bridge by cheating and using the base of my middle and ring fingers to hit yellow/blue instead of my fingertips. I tried doing HO's for a while, but it would cause me to miss green and orange too often. When I went to play the song for real, after 3 or 4 tries I couldn't even get up to that point in the song. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

If you haven't tried it, try not playing the game at all for 2 or 3 days and then playing that song. This has worked for me on several occasions. sometimes you just need a break (either mentally or physically).

Our second weekly Guitar Hero II Tournament is scheduled for this Sunday, the 7th at 2:00 PM at Planet Comics.

Entry is $5.00 with a double elimination format on Medium difficulty. For now, we're limiting each event to 8 players since we're playing on just one system, but we'll run as many flights during the day for as long as time allows. $25 gift card goes to the top player.

You may bring your own guitar. Rounds will be the best two out of three. Each player picks a song and in case a third song is required, it will be picked by coin toss.

GHOULBanner3.gif

Be here Sunday Jan 28th for our HUGE Guitar Hero event sponsered by Red Octane! We'll be playing on a huge 53 inch set. Format will be the same as above with the addition of super cool Red Octane swag!

Starting in Feb, we'll begin running both Medium and Hard events.

For more information and directions, visit www.planetcomics.net

If you're going to spam Internet forums, at least mention the location of the contest. 99.9% of the people reading this probably live too far away to even think about participating.

[quote name='Backlash']If you haven't tried it, try not playing the game at all for 2 or 3 days and then playing that song. This has worked for me on several occasions. sometimes you just need a break (either mentally or physically).[/QUOTE]

This man speaks the truth.

[quote name='planetcomics']Our second weekly Guitar Hero II Tournament is scheduled for this Sunday, the 7th at 2:00 PM at Planet Comics.

Entry is $5.00 with a double elimination format on Medium difficulty. For now, we're limiting each event to 8 players since we're playing on just one system, but we'll run as many flights during the day for as long as time allows. $25 gift card goes to the top player.

You may bring your own guitar. Rounds will be the best two out of three. Each player picks a song and in case a third song is required, it will be picked by coin toss.

GHOULBanner3.gif

Be here Sunday Jan 28th for our HUGE Guitar Hero event sponsered by Red Octane! We'll be playing on a huge 53 inch set. Format will be the same as above with the addition of super cool Red Octane swag!

Starting in Feb, we'll begin running both Medium and Hard events.

For more information and directions, visit www.planetcomics.net[/QUOTE]

Sounds cool, but where are you located? My local EB is having a tourney next month, and I'm fucking stoked.

EDIT: Looked on the site, and South Carolina is a bit far. :D

I got this game for Christmas. I four and five starred everything my first time on medium, but hard is ridiculous. I'm having a lot of trouble with it.

The cool thing is I can feel myself getting better. You learn the songs a bit then progress. I think that's great.

And that Suicidal Tendencies song sucks ass. Not only is it quasi difficult, but the song itself is horrible.

[quote name='munch']I got this game for Christmas. I four and five starred everything my first time on medium, but hard is ridiculous. I'm having a lot of trouble with it.

The cool thing is I can feel myself getting better. You learn the songs a bit then progress. I think that's great.

And that Suicidal Tendencies song sucks ass. Not only is it quasi difficult, but the song itself is horrible.[/QUOTE]

*gasp* Institutionalized is a classic! How dare you! ;)

EDIT: Check it out, GHII tourney's at Gamestop:

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/guitarhero/default.asp

[quote name='Backlash']If you haven't tried it, try not playing the game at all for 2 or 3 days and then playing that song. This has worked for me on several occasions. sometimes you just need a break (either mentally or physically).[/QUOTE]
This worked for me a few times in GH1, but tried it again yesterday and no dice. I did get back up to Bridge 2 though.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. I can't believe The Trooper is on the 360 version. Argggh![/QUOTE]

Wait, what? I didn't see any mention of Maiden in that article.

[quote name='Backlash']Wait, what? I didn't see any mention of Maiden in that article.[/QUOTE]

Check the 1up article. I'm pissed they did this, especially since I'm thinking they did, in fact, get the rights to it and held off for this version. Bah! You'll never get my money!

*sigh*

[quote name='mcgavin27']Gawd, why did they have to add new tracks to the 360 version thus making me buy that version as well?[/QUOTE]

I think you just answered your own question.

Honestly, I'm surprised there haven't been more people on the vast internets complaining about this...I guess I'm one of the few who loves Maiden AND refuses to sell out.

This depresses me. I am not planning on getting a next-gen system for at least a year or more, and even then it might be a ps3 instead of a 360. They should at least call it Guitar Hero 2.5 or Guitar Hero 2 Extreme Edition or something to acknowledge that it's a different game.

[quote name='Backlash']This depresses me. I am not planning on getting a next-gen system for at least a year or more, and even then it might be a ps3 instead of a 360. They should at least call it Guitar Hero 2.5 or Guitar Hero 2 Extreme Edition or something to acknowledge that it's a different game.[/quote]
There's nothing different but added songs. It's the same game that I've been playing for two months. We don't need DDR-style confusing naming conventions.

New songs, ability to add songs, updated graphics, tweaked HOPOs (again). Sounds like it's as different as the update from GH1 to GH2, other than multiplayer. Anyway, the new songs is the real difference that everyone cares about.

[quote name='Backlash']This depresses me. I am not planning on getting a next-gen system for at least a year or more, and even then it might be a ps3 instead of a 360. They should at least call it Guitar Hero 2.5 or Guitar Hero 2 Extreme Edition or something to acknowledge that it's a different game.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat you are; I'm planning on waiting until next holiday season, and I haven't decided on which console is for me, yet (though MGS4 makes PS3 seem far more likely). I can't imagine they won't make these songs available on PS3 eventually, whether they be on a game disc or through the PS Store; and, as we have MOST of this game already, the wait shouldn't be too painful. I guess.

Just upgraded my tv situation, now using a 32" samsung lcd hdtv. The game kind of plays like crap even set up on progressive scan and with the lag calibrated. The timing of the notes is just plain off. Any way around this or should I just put this one back on the old tube? :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back