The Official Guitar Hero II Thread (80's Edition Confirmed w/initial tracklist!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Z-Saber']His stuff blew anyway. No loss that he's been banned.[/quote]
Just because it's crap doesn't excuse theft.

I like the parts where he thinks RO would consider hiring him, which he'd probably claim that he created Guitar Hero after that.

[quote name='chaarlieee']Well, did some modding myself. Some Arch Enemy and some DragonForce.

Shit is fucking bad. Too bad I can't play any of the songs.[/quote]Galiath25's Through the Fire and the Flames is the absolute best custom song I've seen. The synching is perfect, and the notechart is dead on what you'd think it should be. It's also one of the easier ones he's made. A couple of his are freaking impossible.

If any of you were on the edge about the wireless controller, I say go for it. It's the most solid wireless controller I've ever used on any system. Jumping around my room and off my bed while playing is so much fun. I highly recommend everybody try it. :D

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']If any of you were on the edge about the wireless controller, I say go for it. It's the most solid wireless controller I've ever used on any system. Jumping around my room and off my bed while playing is so much fun. I highly recommend everybody try it. :D[/quote]I'll take my $2.99 used PS2 extension cables anyday.

Seriously, try hitting it.

[quote name='kennistond']Can anyone help me fix my guitar?

My blue and orange frets are always on.

Help![/quote]

[quote name='kennistond']Trust me, I have.

I even opened it up today to take a look at it all looks fine.[/quote]Post a thread at ScoreHero. A lot of guys there have taken guitars apart and even modded them, so they might give you a few more suggestions.

Well, the GH II tourney is tommorow at EB/GS nationwide. There's only one in my area participating, so hopefully some real competition will show up. I'll report back if I win any cool schwag. :D

Well, the tourney went off without a hitch, and I won! There were only 7 entrants, but my final battle with a guy named "Jeebus" was, in a word, epic. Grand prize was a cherry Gibson SG controller. I didn't really need a 4th guitar, but just playing against another skilled player was good enough. Anybody else attend one of the tourneys?

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Well, the tourney went off without a hitch, and I won! There were only 7 entrants, but my final battle with a guy named "Jeebus" was, in a word, epic. Grand prize was a cherry Gibson SG controller. I didn't really need a 4th guitar, but just playing against another skilled player was good enough. Anybody else attend one of the tourneys?[/quote]I almost did. I didn't sign up, and when I called one of the local EBs to find out what time it started, they said it happened a few hours ago.

Probably coulda won, too, what with all the Dragonforce I've been devouring lately.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Anybody else attend one of the tourneys?[/quote]

I kept calling them trying to find out the prizes all they managed to come back with was T-Shirts and posters. I wasn't about to drive over a half hour just to whip some noobs to get that kinda stuff.

There were only two people at the one I went to. All the songs were expert, which neither of us were particularly "good" at. In the end, I beat him in Thunderhorse 58k to 55k.

Oh well, I got a free shirt and some PS2 demos out of it. =^n.n^=

The trooper is on the Xbox 360 version? FFS

Not another $90 :(

I already have GHI, GHII, and 2 controllers for ps2 as well..

[quote name='redsox6391']What? You can put your own songs on GH? How?[/quote]Go to ScoreHero.com, click on the "Forum" link in the top left corner, scroll down until you see "Software" (which is where they've temporarily moved custom song discussion for some reason), click it, and read a few of the stickies, particularly something along the lines of "The complete Idiot's guide to playing custom GHII songs."

[quote name='Z-Saber']Go to ScoreHero.com, click on the "Forum" link in the top left corner, scroll down until you see "Software" (which is where they've temporarily moved custom song discussion for some reason), click it, and read a few of the stickies, particularly something along the lines of "The complete Idiot's guide to playing custom GHII songs."[/quote]

That seems REALLY complicated...

[quote name='redsox6391']That seems REALLY complicated...[/quote]I hope you're talking about the actual process and not the steps to get to the right forum. :lol:

Anyway, it really isn't all that difficult. Download a few programs, load a few files in, and play.

I just got this game today w/the guitar. Love it so far.

Any tips on how to use the whammy? I'm having trouble using it and strumming at the same time, maybe I'm just retarded.

[quote name='Blackout542']I just got this game today w/the guitar. Love it so far.

Any tips on how to use the whammy? I'm having trouble using it and strumming at the same time, maybe I'm just retarded.[/quote]
I can't think of any situation where you need to strum and use the whammy at the same time. You just need to keep it close enough to you that you can switch quickly enough between the two when you need to.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I can't think of any situation where you need to strum and use the whammy at the same time.[/quote]If you're on a section with long star power notes and you have to strum?

[quote name='Blackout542']Any tips on how to use the whammy? I'm having trouble using it and strumming at the same time, maybe I'm just retarded.[/QUOTE] I actually turn it so that the bar is pointing away from the neck and use my pinky to pull it away from the guitar. Strange, I know, and probably not the best way to do things. But I don't have to move my hand from the strum bar to use it effectively.

Ok thanks for the tips, I guess I just needed practice. Is it normal for your fretting wrist to hurt like hell when playing? Any way to hold the thing without playing in pain? I play regular guitar (almost as bad as GH2) and it has never hurted like that. Am I screwing up or something?

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I actually turn it so that the bar is pointing away from the neck and use my pinky to pull it away from the guitar. Strange, I know, and probably not the best way to do things. But I don't have to move my hand from the strum bar to use it effectively.[/quote]

I do it too, quite effectively. Everyone gives me funny looks though, heh.

[quote name='Z-Saber']If you're on a section with long star power notes and you have to strum?[/quote]
You do know that you only need to hold the fret button after strumming the first note of a long, held note, right? At that point, it's no longer necessary to strum anymore and the whammy bar is wide open and free to use.

[quote name='Blackout542']Ok thanks for the tips, I guess I just needed practice. Is it normal for your fretting wrist to hurt like hell when playing? Any way to hold the thing without playing in pain? I play regular guitar (almost as bad as GH2) and it has never hurted like that. Am I screwing up or something?[/QUOTE]

I don't know anything about real guitar, but your hand/wrist really has to get used to GH. When I got the first one I could only play maybe 3-4 songs a day, even on medium, before mine hurt. Gradually I got used to it and know I can play for quite awhile before my wrist hurts. Just build up slowly.

I've just started playing on Expert.

Still having trouble beating "Tattooed Love Boys". Guess I need to learn the up and down strumming technique.

Psychobilly Freakout Expert is cruel. My latest attempt was 84%. I guess the only way I'm going to get through it is sheer luck.

I felt that way, once upon a time. It was probably my biggest stumbling block in the game.

My advice? Set an afternoon aside and just keep playing it over and over again. Not in Practice Mode, just keep trying it in Career, and only go to Practice if you can't wrap your head around a certain part. This way, you'll slowly get better and better at the beginning half, have more room for error in the ending, and sooner or later the rest of the song will just "make sense" to you. Trust me on this.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You do know that you only need to hold the fret button after strumming the first note of a long, held note, right? At that point, it's no longer necessary to strum anymore and the whammy bar is wide open and free to use.[/quote]I am quite familiar with Guitar Hero and a lot of its lingo... yet I have no idea what you said even after reading it several times. "after strumming the first note of a long, held note"? The first note of a "long, held note" is... one note. Strumming is essential to every note, unless we're talking about HOPOs, which I don't believe we are. Could you please rephrase and clarify?

He's saying you can let go of the strum bar after strumming the beginning of a long note and thus use your strum hand to whammy. Maybe the dude he was trying to help was holding both the fret button(s) and the strum bar down?

[quote name='Backlash']He's saying you can let go of the strum bar after strumming the beginning of a long note and thus use your strum hand to whammy. Maybe the dude he was trying to help was holding both the fret button(s) and the strum bar down?[/quote]
Exactly. Though I don't even remember who I was trying to help and why anymore. :lol:

Just got the new Game Informer and they have a nice list for the "Top 10 Most Wanted Songs for Guitar Hero III"

1. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
2. Master of Puppets - Metallica
3. Back in Black - AC/DC
4. Layla - Eric Clapton (Derek and the Dominos)
5. Outshined - Soundgarden
6. Wanted Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi
7. One Armed Scissor - At the Drive-In
8. Cult of Personality - Living Colour
9. 12:51 - The Strokes
10. Venus - Television

Honorable Mentions
Eruption - Van Halen
Raining Blood - Slayer
Foolin - Def Leppard
Fabricoh - Archers of Loaf
Helicopter - Bloc Party
The One I Love - REM
We're Not Gonna Take It - Twisted Sister
My Sharona - The Knack
Epic - Faith No More
Let's Go Crazy - Prince
Airbag - Radiohead
Police Truck - Dead Kennedys
Cherub Rock - Smashing Pumpkins
Mississippi Queen - Mountain
Aenima - Tool
White Wedding - Billy Idol
This Charming Man - The Smiths
Float On - Modest Man

I've heard of some of these, I'll have to check out YouTube for the rest to see if they're good suggestions.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You do know that you only need to hold the fret button after strumming the first note of a long, held note, right? At that point, it's no longer necessary to strum anymore and the whammy bar is wide open and free to use.[/quote]I'm quoting this again because I understand what you meant now that it was explained. Anyway, that's not what I was talking about. I was referring to sections that have multiple long star power notes, enough to where it would be ludicrously inconvenient to switch between holding the strum bar and whammy bar. In that case, learning to strum and whammy at the same time helps.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I'm quoting this again because I understand what you meant now that it was explained. Anyway, that's not what I was talking about. I was referring to sections that have multiple long star power notes, enough to where it would be ludicrously inconvenient to switch between holding the strum bar and whammy bar. In that case, learning to strum and whammy at the same time helps.[/quote]
It depends on how long your definition of "long" is. If we're talking about the near-the-beginning stuff from Woman or Freebird, that's not that hard to switch. For me, if they're short enough that they might as well be normal notes, there's no need to even attempt to touch the whammy.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Just got the new Game Informer and they have a nice list for the "Top 10 Most Wanted Songs for Guitar Hero III"

1. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
2. Master of Puppets - Metallica
3. Back in Black - AC/DC
4. Layla - Eric Clapton
5. Outshined - Soundgarden
6. Wanted Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi
7. One Armed Scissor - At the Drive-In
8. Cult of Personality - Living Colour
9. 12:51 - The Strokes
10. Venus - Television

Honorable Mentions
Eruption - Van Halen
Raining Blood - Slayer
Foolin - Def Leppard
Fabricoh - Archers of Loaf
Helicopter - Bloc Party
The One I Love - REM
We're Not Gonna Take It - Twisted Sister
My Sharona - The Knack
Epic - Faith No More
Let's Go Crazy - Prince
Airbag - Radiohead
Police Truck - Dead Kennedys
Cherub Rock - Smashing Pumpkins
Mississippi Queen - Mountain
Aenima - Tool
White Wedding - Billy Idol
This Charming Man - The Smiths
Float On - Modest Man

I've heard of some of these, I'll have to check out YouTube for the rest to see if they're good suggestions.[/QUOTE]

That is actually a pretty good list. Wow.

There's nothing like coffee and Guitar Hero on a Saturday morning. I've already unlocked everything on Hard, and I'm working on 5 starring everything on Medium. I have about 4 songs left. Then I'm going to 5 star everything on Hard. yeah right.

And how do you all define "beating" the game? 5 starring it or just getting through it all?

[quote name='munch']There's nothing like coffee and Guitar Hero on a Saturday morning. I've already unlocked everything on Hard, and I'm working on 5 starring everything on Medium. I have about 4 songs left. Then I'm going to 5 star everything on Hard. yeah right.

And how do you all define "beating" the game? 5 starring it or just getting through it all?[/quote]
For me, there's beating it and completing it when it comes to finishing a game, so beating it would just be passing every song while 5 starring/100%ing every song would be completing it. I'd be happy just beating the game because 5 starring these songs on Hard would be a major pain in the ass since I can barely pass them. :lol:

Damn. Crazy on You is kicking my ass early on on Hard. I'm talking single digit completion before failing. :lol: It looks like this songs carries on where Woman left off.

[quote name='chaarlieee']I just added a shitload of custom songs--15 in total, and I can't even play them right now because I left my guitar at my friends house.[/quote]I'm getting a lot more selective now that there are more of them out there. Overall, I think I've swapped in and out about 30 or more songs, but right now, I've only got about 14 that I think are solid enough to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back