The Official Guitar Hero II Thread (80's Edition Confirmed w/initial tracklist!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Roufuss']Haha yea, it definitely does... I'm just having problems getting my pinky to work right ;)

I guess it just boils down to practice![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was absolutely terrible when I first started. I've never played an instrument before, and when I started getting my pinky involved with it, I realized my hand just couldn't take the pressure. I was cramping up after a half an hour or so. I've improved quite a bit, so stick with it.

With GH1, the difficulty seemed to ramp perfectly, but I can't say the same for the second one. From Medium to Hard is a huge difference.

For one, I tried to do a song in hard mode, and it completely destroyed me.
The game is somewhat designed to get harder within one difficulty, so by the time you do tier 4 or 5 on medium, you can at least finish a few songs on tier 1 hard. Pooky seems to agree at least for GH1.

Any tips? I mean, what should my finger placement even be like?
The biggest difference between medium and hard is that due to adding a fifth fret button, you have to slide your hand up and down the neck. There's no way to get around that.

You get used to doing a lot of sliding and improvised hand positions depending on what you're playing. But because of that, you have to have some knowledge beforehand of what you're playing, especially when you get to expert and it gets too difficult to play by sight. Some hand positions you'll only use for certain parts of certain songs.

At first I hated it, but it becomes really gratifying when you're sliding all over the place and you surprise yourself that your streak isn't broken.
I'm just having problems getting my pinky to work right ;)
I know some people that only use their first three fingers. They have to do more sliding, but it works for them. The pinky by nature is less dexterious and weaker, so it's more difficult forcing it to do quicker note changes.

There are GH FAQs actually with tips and techniques for hand positions and other ideas. I read a few and it gave me some good ideas. It's true, though, you only get better with practice.

Oh, by the way, I don't know if it's been said, but the GH SG Guitar is compatible with the import game Guitar Freaks and Drum Mania: Masterpiece Silver. It's the only GF game that works with the GH guitar because you can customize your buttons. I don't know how good it is, though.

[quote name='Chacrana']Freebird is easy to play now on expert....[/quote]Good for you. Next task: 100% Jordan on Expert. Good luck. :lol:

This is one of the very few games I've played where I actually feel myself getting better the more I play. Medium was once pretty daunting but now I'm 5 starring stuff easily!

I love this game.

BTW, I hope Guitar Hero 3 gives you the option to change your bandmates... the lead singer is such a douche bag looking tard.

[quote name='espy605']The biggest difference between medium and hard is that due to adding a fifth fret button, you have to slide your hand up and down the neck. There's no way to get around that.

You get used to doing a lot of sliding and improvised hand positions depending on what you're playing. But because of that, you have to have some knowledge beforehand of what you're playing, especially when you get to expert and it gets too difficult to play by sight. Some hand positions you'll only use for certain parts of certain songs.

At first I hated it, but it becomes really gratifying when you're sliding all over the place and you surprise yourself that your streak isn't broken.
I know some people that only use their first three fingers. They have to do more sliding, but it works for them. The pinky by nature is less dexterious and weaker, so it's more difficult forcing it to do quicker note changes.[/QUOTE]
I think some of the Medium songs have some essential sliding. I used to get owned with red/blue combinations on GH1, but I think Message in a Bottle got me sliding, and it helped immensely with Crazy on You -- which I got a 3-star on at first, then retried immediately for a 5-star.

I think I'm at tier 5 or 6 on Medium, and have 5-starred everything. I only beat GH1 on Medium. I doubt I'll ever be good to make a dent in Hard, but I'm proud of my progress on GH2 so far. The stat breakdown really helps.

[quote name='ViolentLee'] I doubt I'll ever be good to make a dent in Hard[/QUOTE]

I said the exact same thing on GH1, especially after playing Infected a few times. I thought I'd never beat it, b/c I just couldn't make the changes to get those Yellow/Orange chords.

Eventually I beat Hard completely and beat all but 6 songs on Expert. So keep on practicing and you'll surprise yourself!

[quote name='Backlash']I said the exact same thing on GH1, especially after playing Infected a few times. I thought I'd never beat it, b/c I just couldn't make the changes to get those Yellow/Orange chords.

Eventually I beat Hard completely and beat all but 6 songs on Expert. So keep on practicing and you'll surprise yourself![/QUOTE]

I agree, natural skill progression is one of the coolest parts of the game.

I think some of the Medium songs have some essential sliding. I used to get owned with red/blue combinations on GH1, but I think Message in a Bottle got me sliding, and it helped immensely with Crazy on You -- which I got a 3-star on at first, then retried immediately for a 5-star.

You can still pass songs on medium by flubbing the relatively short sections with quick note changes. But I think this is part of the design of the game, it helps teach you techniques that are required on the harder difficulties, but doesn't require you master them in order to pass the song.

I think I'm at tier 5 or 6 on Medium, and have 5-starred everything. I only beat GH1 on Medium. I doubt I'll ever be good to make a dent in Hard, but I'm proud of my progress on GH2 so far. The stat breakdown really helps.

I read GH2's hard was much more difficult than GH1's. If you're good enough to five star everything on medium, you're more than ready to try hard.

I finally beat the game on medium yesterday. I also finally 100% a song (Bad Reputation by Thin Lizzy, first time playing it also). I also went back to GH and started up on Hard Mode, so far I have passed the first 3 songs. It's gonna take a while to learn how to move my hand.

Finally manned up and beat GH 1 and GH 2 on hard. Very fun.

Going back to medium now feels like torture. It is so easy and boring.

I love Guitar Hero.

I finally shredded Free Bird and beat the game on expert. Can I get some fucking w00t's?! Suprisingly, Hangar 18 was harder for me to beat than Free Bird as Cowboys from Hell was harder for me than Bark at the Moon in number 1. I'm out of my mind right now.

It makes me happy to see everyone working on improvement. That, to me, is the true joy of the game...totally nailing something you simply wouldn't have been able to do 6 months ago.

After playing GHII on Expert for a few weeks, I decided to go back and try Cowboys From Hell and Bark at the Moon. I didn't do any better an Cowboys, but I four-starred BatM for the first time. :lol:

[quote name='Z-Saber']Now that I have a 360, I'm wondering what I'll do when that version comes out. Graphics certainly aren't a reason to buy a second game AND guitar, but additional content and downloadable songs might be.

I'm really hoping it sucks so I don't have to double dip on an $80/$90 game and controller.[/quote]

It sucks paying for another expensive guitar controller, but on the other hand you will most likely have to get the 360 controller sometime down the road anyway if you're gonna be buying Guitar Hero 3.

Finally beat Hangar 18 on expert, followed by Freebird the 2nd try. So now only Six and Jordan elude me. Im afraid that trying Six too many times will wear out the controller and Jordan i know will never happen - so now im shooting for a 5 star on every hard song now.

i've had GH1 for a few days now, got two songs away from beating the game on hard (edgar allan band and bark at the moon), but holy cow expert is crazy especially for the last tier. expert BaTM is ridiculous.

anyways how are the hardest songs in GHII compare with BaTM on expert? i saw beast and harlot on expert at walmart and it looked insane...

I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, but has anyone bought the game and had the guitar controller not work at all? I just received GHII in the mail from the buy.com $20 off google checkout deal, but the controller doesn't work at all. There's nothing obvious like a on switch somewhere, right, or a simple way to test it to see if it works at all? Just wondering because I don't really want to go through the hassle of shipping it back to buy.com and waiting for another one. Thanks in advance guys.

[quote name='MysteryMan2333']I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, but has anyone bought the game and had the guitar controller not work at all? I just received GHII in the mail from the buy.com $20 off google checkout deal, but the controller doesn't work at all. There's nothing obvious like a on switch somewhere, right, or a simple way to test it to see if it works at all? Just wondering because I don't really want to go through the hassle of shipping it back to buy.com and waiting for another one. Thanks in advance guys.[/quote]

Theres no switch. My first GH2 controller was busted as well. Not as obvious as yours - but a strum would register as more than one and that kinda throws off your game. :cry:

I'd almost recommend returning it to another store even though its not 'moral'(walmart or best buy has a gazillion just piled on the floor) for an even exchange. It'll get sent to the manufacturer either way, but at least that way you don't have to wait.

Alright, thanks for the reply Pookymeister. I guess with the holiday season coming up those places will be a little more lienant towards their return policy as well, so hopefully I can make the exchange.

I know this is the Guitar Hero II thread, but I guess this would belong here, Im just starting out on the first one, just wondering how long it would be before I would actually start getting good at it? I got through most of the songs on medium and the only thing stopping me from the last set is "No One Knows" so yeah its kinda hard yet rewarding at the same time.

If you ask me, the trick to getting good at GHI is NOT to get five stars on an easier song, at least not at first. I think it's more effective to play on a given difficulty until you get stuck, and then start at the beginning of the next difficulty. By the time you get stuck on a song in that difficulty, you should be good enough to go back to the harder songs on the previous one.

So, I say you should beat the game on easy (100%) play through 70% on medium, then maybe 30% on hard, then go back to medium, etc. If you can't play the 5th note on hard, just don't play it; concentrate on hitting the abundance of other notes at the hard speed. When you go back, medium will look like slow motion.

When you get stuck on expert, then it's time to five-star some early songs.

[quote name='trunks982']Red Lottery, WORST SONG EVER!![/QUOTE]

So I keep hearing about how awful that song and Yes We Can are, and I finally played both of them two nights ago. I thought "they can't really be that bad - people always exaggerate."

They absolutely deserve all the comments they've gotten. They are both AWFUL. I think Yes We Can is worse. It drove me nuts and it went on FOREVER. I didn't think it would ever fucking end.

Wow, Gemini was a nice little surprise. It's pretty challenging on expert, and it's all instrumental. I should have tried it out before yesterday. :lol:

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Wow, Gemini was a nice little surprise. It's pretty challenging on expert, and it's all instrumental. I should have tried it out before yesterday. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Gemini's actually a well written song. I too just discovered that one recently and I really liked it. I still think the best song is Sweet Child O Mine, but that's because it's the greatest song of all time. So there wasn't really too much competition.

Ooo I don't think I've tried Gemini yet; I'll give that a go soon. My current favorite song to play is Thunderhorse (on Hard).

[quote name='Backlash']Ooo I don't think I've tried Gemini yet; I'll give that a go soon. My current favorite song to play is Thunderhorse (on Hard).[/QUOTE]

Thunderhorse is pretty fucking cool too... kinda random for them to throw Dethklok on there, but I'm definitely not complaining since that's a really fun song to play.

[quote name='trunks982']Red Lottery, WORST SONG EVER!![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Backlash']So I keep hearing about how awful that song and Yes We Can are, and I finally played both of them two nights ago. I thought "they can't really be that bad - people always exaggerate."

They absolutely deserve all the comments they've gotten. They are both AWFUL. I think Yes We Can is worse. It drove me nuts and it went on FOREVER. I didn't think it would ever fucking end.[/QUOTE]

fuck both of you. I'm just glad to see them supporting doom metal (and hopefully we'll get some really good doom metal in the next game). The song's also fun if you play with someone else, and try to either a) rock the fuck out, or b) see how few times you can strum by using HOs/POs.

Yes We Can, however, really is terrible.

I like Yes We Can... a lot. And even though Made in Mexico does suck, I'd still take them over whoever made The Light That Blinds any time.

[quote name='xdl']I like Yes We Can... a lot. And even though Made in Mexico does suck, I'd still take them over whoever made The Light That Blinds any time.[/quote]Made in Mexico sucks, yet you like Yes We Can... a lot?

I like The Light That Blinds no more than any other song, yet can't understand the hatred there.

In other words, I can't comprehend your musical taste.[quote name='Blind the Thief']fuck both of you. I'm just glad to see them supporting doom metal (and hopefully we'll get some really good doom metal in the next game). The song's also fun if you play with someone else, and try to either a) rock the fuck out, or b) see how few times you can strum by using HOs/POs.

Yes We Can, however, really is terrible.[/quote]I'll admit it was cool to play a doom metal song, but this is clearly not a quality track. When I told my friend about it, he was excited since he's sort of a metal head, but thirty minutes later (arbitrary and exagerated since it's stupidly long), we were both sitting down praying for it to end sooner. I mean, it's cool that the genre is represented, but the song sucks for a variety of reasons.

Does anyone have any tips for calibrating the lag for GH 2 on a HD set?

I just got a new LCD TV and the game seems kind of off when I play. When using the calibration feature, should I be strumming a certain way/speed? I only ask because several times I have gotten different m/s readings.

This isn't solely related to GH2 but I figured I'd ask here.

I've become interested the GH series because of all the praise it's getting. Should I start with GH or GH2 or does it matter? I'll probably start with GH just because it's cheaper. Also, how much do controllers cost? I was looking at some online and there's a lot, are there some I should steer clear of or does it matter? Should I stick with the GH ones?

[quote name='mrchainsaw']This isn't solely related to GH2 but I figured I'd ask here.

I've become interested the GH series because of all the praise it's getting. Should I start with GH or GH2 or does it matter? I'll probably start with GH just because it's cheaper. Also, how much do controllers cost? I was looking at some online and there's a lot, are there some I should steer clear of or does it matter? Should I stick with the GH ones?[/quote]

yeah get the first one first. and stick with the official controllers. i've had the first one for a few weeks now and the only songs i can't beat on expert are bark, edgar allen band song, and the pantera one.

[quote name='Backlash']So I keep hearing about how awful that song and Yes We Can are, and I finally played both of them two nights ago. I thought "they can't really be that bad - people always exaggerate."

They absolutely deserve all the comments they've gotten. They are both AWFUL. I think Yes We Can is worse. It drove me nuts and it went on FOREVER. I didn't think it would ever fucking end.[/quote]
I have to agree. Red Lottery's boring and slow and I'm not sure how Yes We Can is rock, it sounds like tribal rock or some strange genre like that.

Anybody notice the repeat appearances of several bands who members of the development team are apart of? How can those bands get a second appearance, but not the main bands?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
Anybody notice the repeat appearances of several bands who members of the development team are apart of? How can those bands get a second appearance, but not the main bands?[/QUOTE]

Because the music was licensed and recorded for GH for free (probably)? Anyway I like some of those, like the Acrobrats, so I wasn't complaining. More is better (regarding the bonus songs), because some people will like them and if you don't like them you don't have to play them. I'm not under the impression that because those songs made it others didn't.

[quote name='Backlash']Because the music was licensed and recorded for GH for free (probably)? Anyway I like some of those, like the Acrobrats, so I wasn't complaining. More is better (regarding the bonus songs), because some people will like them and if you don't like them you don't have to play them. I'm not under the impression that because those songs made it others didn't.[/quote]
I'm not making that claim either, but it just seems like a cheap cash-in on the success of GH. I could see it on GH since many bands were hesitant to jump on, but it doesn't necessary on GHII. Not complaining, just something I noticed.

such a dope game, my sister sent it to me for christmas early. i'm havin a blast playing it, i think it's somewhat like an extension to guitar hero 1, which i'm entirely happy with.. and my fave song to play is the Buckethead song.. it's crazy.

Wow. Whoever mentioned that the jump from Medium to Hard is a lot more difficult than Hard to Expert was right. I've managed to finally put a dent in hard (I'm up to Tier 7, although I wouldn't say I'm very good since a large portion are 3*s), and I can't really make it past Tier 7. So I decided for the hell of it to try Expert. I've managed to actually beat 6 songs so far (most barely beating it, but still beating it). There's definitely a nice progression of skill as you play the game. I remember back when I could barely play some songs on Medium in GH1, like Bark at the Moon, and now I can go back and easily 5* BatM.

I'm definitely not getting past Woman (the fourth song of the first set) on Hard at any point in time. I practiced and practiced and practiced again and still can't seem to get it down. I can get it on slower and slow, but when it's back up to normal speed things never change. I'm guessing the only change I could make is to try to actually strum every HOPO note, but that sounds even more impossible.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm definitely not getting past Woman (the fourth song of the first set) on Hard at any point in time. I practiced and practiced and practiced again and still can't seem to get it down. I can get it on slower and slow, but when it's back up to normal speed things never change. I'm guessing the only change I could make is to try to actually strum every HOPO note, but that sounds even more impossible.[/quote]

That's one of those songs I've still not completely gotten a handle of in Hard. I only made it through that horrible HOPO section by saving up my star power for that section solely and just started strumming and hitting various frets in hopes to hit anything to up my meter.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm definitely not getting past Woman (the fourth song of the first set) on Hard at any point in time. I practiced and practiced and practiced again and still can't seem to get it down. I can get it on slower and slow, but when it's back up to normal speed things never change. I'm guessing the only change I could make is to try to actually strum every HOPO note, but that sounds even more impossible.[/QUOTE]

Woman's weird. Sometimes I nail most of the notes on Expert, and sometimes I fuck up every transition.

My best friend can 5 star Freebird on Expert, and I haven't even gotten to the last tier yet. Oi.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Made in Mexico sucks, yet you like Yes We Can... a lot?

I like The Light That Blinds no more than any other song, yet can't understand the hatred there.

In other words, I can't comprehend your musical taste.I'll admit it was cool to play a doom metal song, but this is clearly not a quality track. When I told my friend about it, he was excited since he's sort of a metal head, but thirty minutes later (arbitrary and exagerated since it's stupidly long), we were both sitting down praying for it to end sooner. I mean, it's cool that the genre is represented, but the song sucks for a variety of reasons.[/quote]

I dont associate talent with whether or not I like a band basically. Ive heard more of Made in Mexico's music before, and for the most part it sucks even though I like other bands that sound somewhat like them. Its just a good song by a crap band that generally doesn't have a whole lot of talent, in my opinion anyway.

I just plain don't like The Light That Blinds. I think the song writing and vocals both suck, and I'm not a big fan of the genre to begin with. I can stand some of it, just not them.

[quote name='tehweezner']yeah get the first one first. and stick with the official controllers. i've had the first one for a few weeks now and the only songs i can't beat on expert are bark, edgar allen band song, and the pantera one.[/quote] OK, does it matter if I get the GH1 or GH2 controller? I've heard some say that the GH2 controller is better.

I'm thinking of getting a ps2 slim with guitar hero 1 or 2 is this a good idea? any tips or things I should keep in mind when purchasing this

[quote name='magiic']I'm thinking of getting a ps2 slim with guitar hero 1 or 2 is this a good idea? any tips or things I should keep in mind when purchasing this[/quote]
Start with Guitar Hero 1 and just play the hell out of it. I think it can be found for cheaper than full price at some places, though you'll have to look for yourself. You'll appreciate the improvements that GHII makes over the first game a lot more. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back