The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='icruise']Is there any way to back them all up at once, or do you just have to select them individually?[/QUOTE]

Under system settings, I think there's an option for it. Unfortunately, it considers the cached game data as part of the backup, so unless you have something that can fit all of it, then you need to do them individually.

Yeah, I just did it individually.

The PS3 saves weren't a pain as there so few of them, but I decided to back up the PSX and PS2 saves as well. There were many. But it's pretty fast anyway.

At the end of the week (or even after a long play session), I just back up whatever game save I was just playing, or had played that week.

I think its pretty cool the ability to play your PSone games on your PSP and then once you get home transfer your save to your PS3 and continue from where you left off.

Pretty neat. Im surprised the Wii hasnt done something like this with the DS. I thought this is what they are known for.

OH, and can you only connect PSP to PS3 if you have the 60gb version?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I think its pretty cool the ability to play your PSone games on your PSP and then once you get home transfer your save to your PS3 and continue from where you left off.

Pretty neat. Im surprised the Wii hasnt done something like this with the DS. I thought this is what they are known for.

OH, and can you only connect PSP to PS3 if you have the 60gb version?[/QUOTE]

Also, see the current "Xbox 3" topic in the 360 forum ;) but they're going to take it a step further and make it so your phone or laptop connects to it. Not sure why you would need that in a game console...but whatever.

[quote name='icruise']It doesn't matter what version you have. The connection is done with a cable anyway.[/quote]

Yeh, but even the remote play feature can be used via both systems now. Just the 20GB takes more set up I think because it needs a wireless router from you're house to use.

This was posted on gamefaqs:
Firmware 1.8 Confirmed To...
- upscale ps1 and ps2 games to higher resolution
- load ps1 and ps2 gamers faster
- more compatibility with ps1 and ps2 games
- auto install updates

No link or anything. Anyone hear about this? It's possible, seeing as how the PS3 is now using software emulation.

Sounds good, although I'm a little skeptical about things getting "confirmed" since there has been quite a bit of misinformation about these updates in the past. I'm also not sure about automatically installing updates. I assume it's just an option, though.

[quote name='icruise']Sounds good, although I'm a little skeptical about things getting "confirmed" since there has been quite a bit of misinformation about these updates in the past. I'm also not sure about automatically installing updates. I assume it's just an option, though.[/quote]

It is not automatic at all. It does several things when there is a new update, but usually I read about it online. Then go to settings and have the system check the internet for the update. It doesn't lock down and say "you HAVE to get this update right now!"

I've actually been downloading the updates to my computer and then transfering over with my PSP lately. Download speed is faster then via the network for me.

I think the post that I was responding to was deleted (or somehow I posted in the wrong thread), because I wasn't responding to your post. The post I was responding to said that in the next big update there would be automatic software downloading and PS1/2 upscaling. Where did that go?

[quote name='icruise']I think the post that I was responding to was deleted (or somehow I posted in the wrong thread), because I wasn't responding to your post. The post I was responding to said that in the next big update there would be automatic software downloading and PS1/2 upscaling. Where did that go?[/QUOTE]

no idea. That'd be nice if all that came with 1.8. Along with custom backgrounds. Seriously, my background was pink for like a month. I'm not a big fan of pink, gender differences aside :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']no idea. That'd be nice if all that came with 1.8. Along with custom backgrounds. Seriously, my background was pink for like a month. I'm not a big fan of pink, gender differences aside :lol:[/quote]

You can change it, sort of. Just change the month to one that has the color you want. Not the same I know. :)

It does work, though there are slight button mapping issues with GH1 I think.
Whammy bar doesn't work yet though.

At least it's playable. GHIII is coming out this fall though. I'm not worked up about it.

This is the first time I've tried downloading (I'm downloading the Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo) since the last couple updates and I noticed you can do this in the background. Apparantly you can't download while playing games however and that blows. What's the point of downloading in the background if you can't play games while doing it? Will it let you watch a movie while downloading?

[quote name='Chitown021']This is the first time I've tried downloading (I'm downloading the Ninja Gaiden Sigma demo) since the last couple updates and I noticed you can do this in the background. Apparantly you can't download while playing games however and that blows. What's the point of downloading in the background if you can't play games while doing it? Will it let you watch a movie while downloading?[/quote]
It won't download while playing PSX and PS2 games, but WILL download while playing PS3 games or demos.
WILL download while playing DVDs, but not BD movies.

[quote name='dallow']It won't download while playing PSX and PS2 games, but WILL download while playing PS3 games or demos.
WILL download while playing DVDs, but not BD movies.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure they'll work on that for the next update...I think :/

[quote name='dallow']It won't download while playing PSX and PS2 games, but WILL download while playing PS3 games or demos.
WILL download while playing DVDs, but not BD movies.[/quote]

Hmm it seems my download stopped when I booted up MLB 2K7 for the PS3. It was at 6% in the background when I started playing and was still at 6% when I finished my game 30 minutes later.

Not sure if this has already been said, but... I wonder if it would be possible through firmware, to keep allow controller charging while the system is 'soft-powered-off'? It is annoying having to leave the system on to charge the controller, as now that I have gone wireless, I can't go back to wired, even for two hours.

Has anyone tried charging them from a computer?

~S

[quote name='snowsquirrel']Not sure if this has already been said, but... I wonder if it would be possible through firmware, to keep allow controller charging while the system is 'soft-powered-off'? It is annoying having to leave the system on to charge the controller, as now that I have gone wireless, I can't go back to wired, even for two hours.

Has anyone tried charging them from a computer?

~S[/quote]

I have and it works fine. I really hope they fix this issue in a future firmware update.

Just got a PS3, updated and I'am getting the this error 8013013d (can't connect to the internet). is this actually normal coz of the recent update or do I have to do something manually in order for my internet to work?

[quote name='DomLando']Ooooops did not see. Sorry.[/quote]

Nah man, don't be sorry. I was just messing with you.
It's good you updated this thread with the info as well. It's what it's here for.

Hopefully it's 1080i, 720p and 480p for PS1/PS2 games and movies as well. But, this is a great update if it works. I don't know if I'll be able to tell the difference. Someone get screens before and after.

I've been holding off playing some of the PS2 games in my backlog because I was waiting for the upscaling update, so let's hope that it's impressive. I want FF12 in HD!

Will this really make any difference for PS2 games or will it be like the difference between composite/component? I don't see all PS2 games playing in full blown HD just because of a little patch.

Either way, this is about as sweet of a patch as I could've hoped for. If .avi streaming is supported (it won't be), I will go crazy. Until then, I'll wait for people's impressions of the DVD and PS2 upscaling quality.

Is this update going to be released in all regions tomorrow? I thought they said something about it (on G4 Attack of the Show) being a European release with the US release TBA

Upscaling Games and Movies
SCEA is enhancing the PS3 user experience by enabling PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games to be upscaled to HD resolution, up to 1080p. Classic games as well as recently released titles can now be enjoyed like never before. And PS3 system now has the capability to upscale DVD videos to HD quality (up to 1080p), a feature typically limited to top-of-the-line DVD players. Upscaling games requires an HDMI or component AV cable, while upscaling DVD-ROM (including DVD Video content) requires an HDMI cable and HDMI compatible TV set.

At least you can play upscaled games through HDMI AND component :D

From what this says however, I'm assuming it limits the component upscale to PS1 and CD-ROM PS2 games, and DVD PS2 format games can only be upscaled through HDMI.

I don't think that's the case. You can't upscale DVD *movies* over component because that's the way things are set up, but there's no reason to think that just because a PS2 game is on a DVD disc that you can't upscale it.

Damn that sucks that the DVD upscaling can only be done over HDMI. I have one HDMI port on my TV and have my cable box running through it. I don't use HDMI with my PS3 because of an issue. Although I'm wondering if this firmware will fix that. The issue I had with HDMI popped up when playing PS2 games. The game would load, my TV would go snowy for a second, would go black, then the picture would come on (my guess is the TV was adjusting down from 1080i to the lower quality PS2 signal). Once I quit the PS2 game and would go back to the main menu (system switches back to 1080i) my TV would go back and the little box would come on screen saying "NO SIGNAL".

It's like for some reason the TV would get confused and can't upscale itself back to 1080i to receive and display the picture. The only way to set it right was to completely unplug my TV, let it sit for a minute, then plug it back in. Once I did that and fired up the PS3 the title screen picture would come back. I'm hoping now that games are upscaled this will resolve my problems.

Official Changelog (English)

Settings

* [BD 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [BD/DVD Settings].
* [RGB Full Range (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [Display Settings].
* [Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super White (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [Display Settings].
* [Bit Mapping (Super Audio CD)] has been added as an option under [Music Settings].
* The [Test Camera] option under [Accessory Settings] has been changed to [Camera Device Settings].
* [Printer Settings] has been added.
* [Media Server Connection] has been added as an option under [Network Settings].

Music

* You can now edit CD information.
Photo

* A new type of slideshow display pattern has been added.
* You can now use zoom display for images.
* You can now trim images.

Video

* Super-White and x.v.Colour output are now supported.
* Downscaled output of Blu-ray Discs is now supported. When 720p is selected for the video output setting of the PS3 system, Blu-ray Discs that were recorded with 1080i/1080p resolution can be played with 720p resolution.

Game

* You can now move copy-prohibited saved data for PlayStation format software or PlayStation 2 format software to a PS3 system.

Network

* The options menu items for [Download Management] have been changed.

Friends

* [Display Photo] has been added to the voice / video chat options menu.

About time 720p blu-ray downscaling was implemented.

Now if only they would update their website so I could download it. Lack of high-speed internet in this area is crap.

quick question as Im not too educated over this, are my ps2/ps1 games going to be upscaled through component? I dont have 1080p and I've been meaning to get an HDMI cable, should I? or will I be fine w/ component?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back