The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='tiredfornow']quick question as Im not too educated over this, are my ps2/ps1 games going to be upscaled through component? I dont have 1080p and I've been meaning to get an HDMI cable, should I? or will I be fine w/ component?[/quote]

Games ARE upscaled via component, just not movies.

[quote name='dallow']Games ARE upscaled via component, just not movies.[/quote]

so the update is worth connecting my ps3 to the internet for? :D

[quote name='tiredfornow']so the update is worth connecting my ps3 to the internet for? :D[/quote]
DO IT! It'll net you even hotter chicks...

[quote name='dallow']DO IT! It'll net you even hotter chicks...[/quote]
WTF? seriously? I've been wanting to find a hotter girl, tired of the girl I'm with now. :drool:...:bomb:

anyways, yeah I'm going to do that pretty soon, this will fix all the retarded jagged edges on my games then, correct?

Depends on the game on how much jaggies are reduced. Some make a notable difference, others, not really.
It's just better than playing standard, go with it.

[quote name='dallow']Depends on the game on how much jaggies are reduced. Some make a notable difference, others, not really.
It's just better than playing standard, go with it.[/quote]

I see, thx a lot mang. :]

I think the change with the 1.8 update will get more converts to the PS3 cause. Couple that with more PS1/PS2 game compatibility, and I think they'll get even more.

[quote name='shrike4242']I think the change with the 1.8 update will get more converts to the PS3 cause. Couple that with more PS1/PS2 game compatibility, and I think they'll get even more.[/quote]

Much less to complain about now.
Just about all the hardware complaints have been taken care of (minus wallpaper hehe).

And recent events, plus upcoming E3 show that the games are really taking shape.

Good job Sony, I always believed in ya.

The PS3 really is an HD reference machine now. You get so much if you're not looking for just games. This is a fantastic machine.

[quote name='dallow']
The PS3 really is an HD reference machine now. You get so much if you're not looking for just games. This is a fantastic machine.

.[/quote]

I am really tempted to get one now, these are all the features I wanted it to have when it came out. $600 could buy me a Blu-Ray player, upscale DVD, and a system that will play PS1-PS3 games on my HDTV. The PS3 is almost there, all it needs is rip music to play in your games.

[quote name='dallow']Yeah, isn't that cool.
This machine plays all of our PSX, PS2, and PS3 games.
Three generations of games.[/quote]

3 genersations of games and 2 generations of digital video media!

and makes 'em look good too (sorta-good for psx games)

So for upscaling DVDs which is the best setting?
1. Double Scale
2. Normal
3. Full screen

Same question for ps/ps2 upscaler.
1. Normal
2. Full screen

Should I turn on the ps2 smoothing?

Help!!!

[quote name='oasisboy']So for upscaling DVDs which is the best setting?
1. Double Scale
2. Normal
3. Full screen

1. Normal
2. Full screen

Help!!![/quote]

For everyone.

DVD
Use Normal upscaling.

PS/PS2
Use Normal for 4:3 games.
Use Full Screen for 'anamorphic widescreen' games. (this will also stretch 4:3 games if you like that crap)

Filtering, up to you. I'd turn it on.

Tried updating it through USB drive, got an error when it was in the middle of copying the update to the HD.

Everything froze then I had to power off with the back switch to get it going again, meh.

I did create the needed folders btw

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Tried updating it through USB drive, got an error when it was in the middle of copying the update to the HD.

Everything froze then I had to power off with the back switch to get it going again, meh.

I did create the needed folders btw[/quote]

My guess would be that the entire file didn't download correctly.

I've tried three separate times to download the file, and it stops somewhere before it gets to ~110 MB yet the computer acts like the file is complete.

[quote name='Plinko']My guess would be that the entire file didn't download correctly.

I've tried three separate times to download the file, and it stops somewhere before it gets to ~110 MB yet the computer acts like the file is complete.[/quote]

I'm hoping that the file is the problem and not the USB ports on my PS3 :/

I'm gonna try re-downloading the file from their site, then try the file link provided here on CAG

[quote name='oasisboy']So for upscaling DVDs which is the best setting?
1. Double Scale
2. Normal
3. Full screen

1. Normal
2. Full screen

Help!!![/quote]

Can someone explain the difference between double scale, normal and full screen?

For the ps2/psx, what games would use the normal setting and which ones would use the full screen setting?? I need more info on this...

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I'm hoping that the file is the problem and not the USB ports on my PS3 :/

I'm gonna try re-downloading the file from their site, then try the file link provided here on CAG[/quote]

Dammit, still a no-go on the USB Update...

Guess I'll have to bring it to a different spot and update through the network straight to the PS3 :/

[quote name='oasisboy']Can someone explain the difference between double scale, normal and full screen?

For the ps2/psx, what games would use the normal setting and which ones would use the full screen setting?? I need more info on this...[/quote]

DVD

Normal upscaling upscales the picture to the highest resolution and matches your screen size.

Double Scale works slightly differently, but basically it windows (puts black bars around the the entire picture).

I'm guessing you only use Double Scale when a DVD has bad underscan problems. I use Normal because it works better on most DVDs I've tried, and I see more of the picture around the edges than ever before.

Use Normal.

PSX/PS2

EVERY PSX game is 4:3, your regular square box ratio, so always use Normal.

Most PS2 games are 4:3, but some of these games have an option for 16:9 in the game menu. Just play the game, and check. Sometimes it says on the back of the box as well.
There's also a website that lists every widescreen capable PS2 game.
Here: http://144.92.43.200/hdg/

On those widescreen games, use Full Screen upscaling, so that it'll properly stretch the picture. Make sure you change the setting in the game as well.

I've only tested one game, FF X-2. With normal upscaling, it does get smaller, but the quality does seem to be better compared to PS2 component on the same LCD TV.

I'm going to try limiting my video output to 720p and see how the picture fares, hopefully a little larger with good quality.

I'mma be going through a lot of games, glad it's friday tomorrow :D

I think the update screwed up my PS3....

I have a 60GB model that is HARD WIRED and when I updated it said I kept getting disconnected. For example, I would try to sign in to the Playstation Store, and it would say I was disconnected. It would eventually connect, but it was annoying.

Also, I was playing WarHawk and it just disconnected in the middle giving me the same error code as when I first started up my PS3.

So, I looked further. I did a Network Settings and it says UPnP disabled, when I have it enabled on my Linksys WRT54G Router. It also gave me NAT 3. Not sure if this would cause disconnect issues.

So, for shits and grins, I switched it to Wireless and UPnP is working now and now NAT 2. Go figure....I guess that is good when I move my PS3 to another TV...if I ever get one.

Just applied the USB update--works great for me.

PS2 games are absolutely amazing with upscaling, etc. Amazing. Klonoa 2 looks fantastic--I'm disappointed I just played through Ratchet: Deadlocked over the past month without the upscaling.

That said, I found the DVD upscaling to be useless so far. I'm going through HDMI, so it works, and I've only tested it on the Seinfeld DVDs, but the picture seems to get worse--much more flashing blacks in the backgrounds of scenes.

i have a question about the new update. i want to know if with the new update you can actually tap into your ps3 with your psp without being at home and play anything or watch anything thats on your ps3 and not be at home?

A game would have to support Remote play to let you play that game on it.

I'm not sure about video though. We'll have to see how it all shakes out when the new PSP firmware comes out at the end of the month.

I don't think you'll ever be able to play games via remote play, because the lag is just too great. But you will be able to access any video (aside from DVDs or Blu-ray movies) stored on your PS3, as well as photos and music.

I've got a question, can the PS3 upscale PS1 games now? I don't expect miracles but if it looks somewhat better, I'll definitely be looking at a PS3.

I saw God of War II upscaled to 1080p and it looked amazing. But I've read that it might've been a special case as GoW2 was intended to take advantage of the PS3's updated upscaling feature.

[quote name='Vinny']I've got a question, can the PS3 upscale PS1 games now? I don't expect miracles but if it looks somewhat better, I'll definitely be looking at a PS3.

I saw God of War II upscaled to 1080p and it looked amazing. But I've read that it might've been a special case as GoW2 was intended to take advantage of the PS3's updated upscaling feature.[/QUOTE]
YES!!! CastleVania and Metal Gear loo aswsome

[quote name='Vinny']I've got a question, can the PS3 upscale PS1 games now? I don't expect miracles but if it looks somewhat better, I'll definitely be looking at a PS3.

I saw God of War II upscaled to 1080p and it looked amazing. But I've read that it might've been a special case as GoW2 was intended to take advantage of the PS3's updated upscaling feature.[/quote]

Yes, see the pics here of Klonoa on PSX.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2951633&postcount=31

C'mon Vinny, you know you wants one!

I've just been floored with this update. PS2 upscaling looks great, DVD upscaling now looks just as good as 360 upscaling, and I even got the media sharing to work with Nero MediaHome quite easily. This thing is finally feeling more like a $600 machine I paid for.

Decided to play some FF VIII on the PS3 to see how the upscaling holds, I wasn't too impressed, but it's an old game so not too suprised there.

What I was sour about was the final FMV. It skipped every ten seconds and the audio would skip randomly.

God of War II looks unbelieveable. I am incredibly pleased with this update. Final Fantasy X looks great as well. It actually makes me want to replay some games, heh.

[quote name='Vinny']I might get one... but not now. I mean, I can't justify $500 for an upscaling PS2 since there's only one game I really want for the PS3 (MGS4, durr!).[/QUOTE]
You know you want it. Give in ^__^. You want to see all the old game in HD. You know you want to see all the movie in HD too

P.S . I work for Ken.

It seems that for component connection, the PS2 games don't look good with the 1.8 update... I have enabled 480, 720 and 1080i, when playing FFXIII (that should be FFXII, wishful thinking), the screen got cropped and it doesn't look so good. I get the full screen when i just enable 480 (720 and 1080i are unchecked). This is quite a pain when i'm playing PS3 games (i have to enable 720 amd 1080i again).

I created a user account PS2 with the 480 setting, but little did i know that the setting change applies to all accounts :(

Oh well, i'm gonna use the HDMI to DVI cable tonight and see what happens...

[quote name='Serpentor']It seems that for component connection, the PS2 games don't look good with the 1.8 update... I have enabled 480, 720 and 1080i, when playing FFXIII, the screen got cropped and it doesn't look so good. I get the full screen when i just enable 480 (720 and 1080i are unchecked). This is quite a pain when i'm playing PS3 games (i have to enable 720 amd 1080i again).

I created a user account PS2 with the 480 setting, but little did i know that the setting change applies to all accounts :(

Oh well, i'm gonna use the HDMI to DVI cable tonight and see what happens...[/quote]

What do you mean it's cropped?

Since FFXII is Widescreen capable.
Set the upscaling to "Full Screen" on the PS3 and make sure WS is enabled in the game menue.

Also, you don't have to enable/disable all those resolutions.
You can just turn off Upscaling.

By cropped, i meant the game is not displayed in full screen, i.e. looks like a PIP (picture in picutre). I have a 56" widescreen DLP and after 1.8 update, FFXII looks like a PIP (alot of black spaces on the right and left, not top and bottom though).

Oh, i didn't know about turning the upscaling on/off feature, but i want it to be on though...

Ok, this is definitely a dumb question, where is that scaling option you were talking about dallow? I don't remember seeing it when i was tweaking the display modes...

[quote name='Serpentor']Ok, this is definitely a dumb question, where is that scaling option you were talking about dallow? I don't remember seeing it when i was tweaking the display modes...[/quote]

Under Game Options I believe. It's seperate from Display Options, more at the top of the settings.

There's a setting for PS1/PS2.

Hey dallow :)

thanks for the tip, it looks like you just solved my problem :)

checked under games option and viola, i didn't have the full screen option selected , which explains my cropped screen problem.

Anyhow, the defualt is NORMAL, so people, if you the full screen when upscaling, turn the option to FULL in Game Options.

Ah, nice, i don't even have to use my dvi/hdmi cable to confirm my guesses (if it works now, i don't see why i want to find out the other way :))

Oh, i tried the Pic slide, there's a #2 mode, which is pretty cool...

[quote name='asianxcore']any other opinions on the DVD upscaling ability of the PS3 after update?

how do SD DVD's look?[/quote]

I've got SD DVD's upscaled to 1080i, and I think it actually makes them look worse--many more flashing blacks and grain in the backgrounds.

[quote name='Plinko']I've got SD DVD's upscaled to 1080i, and I think it actually makes them look worse--many more flashing blacks and grain in the backgrounds.[/quote]

You might be the only person to think this.

It's being universally called a top tier upscaler by the AV crowd.
And they don't mess around.

From the DVD's that I've watched, I've found the upscaling of DVD's to be quite impressive.

To each their own, I guess.

[quote name='dallow']You might be the only person to think this.

It's being universally called a top tier upscaler by the AV crowd.
And they don't mess around.[/quote]

Hmmm...well, the DVDs I've watched are Seinfeld and Andy Griffith Show with it, so maybe that's the problem.

I'll watch a movie tonight and see if it changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back