The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my RSV2 save is locked, and with new content coming on PSN soon, do you think we'll see a patch for Trophies?

[quote name='mykevermin']Trophies can eat a dick. Don't y'all play games for fun and enjoyment, and not gold stars?

Really, raise your hand if you're actually surprised that trophies are (1) stupid, (2) incompletely applied, (3) not retroactive or (4) half-assed.

Now, if your hand is raised, you ought to be ashamed of yourself.

In-game XMB is coming this week, I'm happy about that, and couldn't give a fuck if my system wants to congratulate me for playing a game with a digital picture of a fucking trophy. Boring. Just like that wanking gamerscore nonsense.[/QUOTE]

Before games had stories, and chapters, and were like mini-movies, there was POINTS. Pacman, Combat, Asteroids, etc, were about nothing more than who could gain the most points. Gamerscores and trophies, are just points you earn for playing a game. People play video games for points, for competition. How much fun is it, just to earn 6 million points alone... its the competition, that makes it fun, and enjoying. Just because the points are not called trophies, or gamerscore(s); its still the same principal as in the past. Nothing more than earning points in pacman to show off against friends (or others). Anything that helps to breed healthy competition is good. Video Games have always been about competition... thats what make them fun and enjoyable.

I personally like sony's model better as leveling up at least has more of a goal than just points. I hope, and expect, levels will unlock or be used for things in games/Home as things progress.

anyone else see this? it's been expected, but ... yeah:

PS2_store-1.jpg

if it's cheap, which I doubt, I'll pick up The Bouncer.

[quote name='Thomas96']I'd like to play Smugglers Run.

After July 2nd... what's going to be the fanboy's complaint about the PS3?[/QUOTE]

I'll say the one complaint still to be cleansed is the release of Home... I really look forward to that to be honest.

The joystiq post makes me feel massively disappointed. Beyond not being able to send actual voice messages in-game (I never use text messaging on the 360), it seems like trophies and in-game music will only work on the "second half" of PS3 games. Let's face it, Sony PR aside, history has shown that consoles have a five year life cycle. The PS3 has been out for nearly two years now, so maybe a little more than half of the games released for it will actually utilize these must-have features. I mourn for my copies of Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank which might get some of this stuff if the devs are nice enough to patch them. But they're probably focused on their next project and don't have the resources to go back and patch a game that is old and well beyond the initial sales blitz.

:bomb:

[quote name='NTolerance']The joystiq post makes me feel massively disappointed. Beyond not being able to send actual voice messages in-game (I never use text messaging on the 360), it seems like trophies and in-game music will only work on the "second half" of PS3 games. Let's face it, Sony PR aside, history has shown that consoles have a five year life cycle. The PS3 has been out for nearly two years now, so maybe a little more than half of the games released for it will actually utilize these must-have features. I mourn for my copies of Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank which might get some of this stuff if the devs are nice enough to patch them. But they're probably focused on their next project and don't have the resources to go back and patch a game that is old and well beyond the initial sales blitz.

:bomb:[/QUOTE]

The PS2 is on its 8th year.

So does this mean that they'll most likely release a BC patch for the 40 gig owners, thus pissing off the people that paid $100 extra for a BC system?

:lol: They'd start a PS2 downloadable game lineup with PS2 launch games and one that came out at the end of its first year? I'll believe it when I see it in person.

[quote name='mwynn']The PS2 is on its 8th year.[/QUOTE]

Right, but the current releases are either sports/kids games or titles that are also available on the PS3. The PS2 might not be dead to children and Madden fans, but it's dead to me.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']:lol: They'd start a PS2 downloadable game lineup with PS2 launch games and one that came out at the end of its first year? I'll believe it when I see it in person.[/QUOTE]Same. I really doubt Smugger's Run would go up.

[quote name='NTolerance']The joystiq post makes me feel massively disappointed. Beyond not being able to send actual voice messages in-game (I never use text messaging on the 360), it seems like trophies and in-game music will only work on the "second half" of PS3 games.[/quote]Well, many developers are moving onto new games which have deadlines. Some developers aren't even around anymore to update their older games. The trophy feature was JUST added a month ago to development kit firmware. Some games will get patched up for it, but most games will just receive it in their sequels.

As for the voice messaging, probably not going to happen. The reason 360 had it was because MS did not want keyboard support on the 360 (the chat pad JUST came out too). PS3 supports ANY USB keyboard, so it's not like messaging is hard. I absolutely hate sending voice messages since I prefer people to not hear my voice. And how many voice messages did I get on XBL (like next to none, almost all text)?

Let's face it, Sony PR aside, history has shown that consoles have a five year life cycle.
The PS3 has been out for nearly two years now, so maybe a little more than half of the games released for it will actually utilize these must-have features.
No. PS1 lasted for around 7-8 years. PS2 is still going pretty strong and it has been out for 8 years. Sony plans a 10 lifecycle for PS3. Sony isn't like the competition who releases a new console every 4-5 years and drops their previous one like a rock.

I mourn for my copies of Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank which might get some of this stuff if the devs are nice enough to patch them.
Would you rather Naughty Dog and Insomniac PUSH back sequels to their previous games JUST to go back, re-work the games to patch them up just to include trophies? Also, if they did, you'd have to go through them again because people can currently download saves. Developers don't exactly have all the resources to work on several games at once. The games are out, they are done with them, and moving onto new games now, which will most likely include trophies.

But they're probably focused on their next project and don't have the resources to go back and patch a game that is old and well beyond the initial sales blitz.
Exactly. Plus, they are trying to get MotorStorm 2, Resistance 2, etc. out by the end of this year. Warhawk is still getting updates, which makes it easy. PSN games are easy because they don't require much stuff to implement them.

Games which came out this year, might get patched, but games made earlier will not.

All these announcements about the firmware updates and new stuff the PSN will be getting is pretty exciting, and I can't wait for all this stuff to come out. :)

It's an exciting time to be an owner of that Tripple. :D

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Same. I really doubt Smugger's Run would go up.

Well, many developers are moving onto new games which have deadlines. Some developers aren't even around anymore to update their older games. The trophy feature was JUST added a month ago to development kit firmware. Some games will get patched up for it, but most games will just receive it in their sequels.

As for the voice messaging, probably not going to happen. The reason 360 had it was because MS did not want keyboard support on the 360 (the chat pad JUST came out too). PS3 supports ANY USB keyboard, so it's not like messaging is hard. I absolutely hate sending voice messages since I prefer people to not hear my voice. And how many voice messages did I get on XBL (like next to none, almost all text)?

No. PS1 lasted for around 7-8 years. PS2 is still going pretty strong and it has been out for 8 years. Sony plans a 10 lifecycle for PS3. Sony isn't like the competition who releases a new console every 4-5 years and drops their previous one like a rock.

Would you rather Naughty Dog and Insomniac PUSH back sequels to their previous games JUST to go back, re-work the games to patch them up just to include trophies? Also, if they did, you'd have to go through them again because people can currently download saves. Developers don't exactly have all the resources to work on several games at once. The games are out, they are done with them, and moving onto new games now, which will most likely include trophies.

Exactly. Plus, they are trying to get MotorStorm 2, Resistance 2, etc. out by the end of this year. Warhawk is still getting updates, which makes it easy. PSN games are easy because they don't require much stuff to implement them.

Games which came out this year, might get patched, but games made earlier will not.[/QUOTE]

You basically just regurgitated Sony PR about all of these issues. You're absolutely spot-on with all of it, which is why I'm disappointed.

If zone of the enders is available on PSN then count me in, if this is real then Sony could make the whole "console war" thing be on their side due to this. But im a little skeptical, because scea hasnt had a good record on the PS1 games on PSN here for NA. And yes i cant wait for the 2.4 update, I recently saw the videos and im impressed, cant wait!

That kinda sucks that it's not retroactive. I wasn't really holding my breath for it, but I'm still disappointed. If it's a game I really like (MGS4, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword) I like to replay it and unlock everything, and I've already done that on several games.

[quote name='moo']So does this mean that they'll most likely release a BC patch for the 40 gig owners, thus pissing off the people that paid $100 extra for a BC system?[/QUOTE]

trust, BC owners are glad to have a basic BC system. truth is hardware based BC, is always better than software BC.

Is putting in trophies, especially for games that already have similar set-ups in the game, really going to be that much work for developers like Insomniac, Naughty Dog, etc. that they can't put aside a small team to work on the trophy patch? I'd imagine that any developer of a big PS3 game in the past would be willing to put in the work to get more people interested in their game again, since it'll probably get a news post on blog sites and such.

I'd like to see Burnout Paradise, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank Future, MLB 08, Folklore, GT5 Prologue, Rock Band, and PSN games like Echochrome, PixelJunk Monsters and Encore, and maybe Everyday Shooter get some trophy love.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Is putting in trophies, especially for games that already have similar set-ups in the game, really going to be that much work for developers like Insomniac, Naughty Dog, etc. that they can't put aside a small team to work on the trophy patch? I'd imagine that any developer of a big PS3 game in the past would be willing to put in the work to get more people interested in their game again, since it'll probably get a news post on blog sites and such.

I'd like to see Burnout Paradise, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank Future, MLB 08, Folklore, GT5 Prologue, Rock Band, and PSN games like Echochrome, PixelJunk Monsters and Encore, and maybe Everyday Shooter get some trophy love.[/QUOTE]I mean it's not like they could just translate everything to points, everything kind of has to have a trophy to it (whether it be Bronze, Silver, Gold, and when you get everything, a Platnium comes up). With those devs, they are moving onto new games now. I mean, when was the last time we got a Resistance update? Resistance 2 is coming out in 5 months, and I'm guessing it would take them at least a month or two to get it patched up (it's not just implementing the patch, there's also the lengthy testing phase and such) and Resistance 2 would be out. Also, it's important Insomniac GETS Resistance 2 out by November (last thing Sony needs is more game delays). It's likely Naughty Dog is busy with Uncharted and I dunno if Sony is working with Game Republic anymore (if they aren't working with Folklore anymore, that may cut off a possible trophy). I do think GT5P and MLB 08 are quite possible, due to not being out for long. I really doubt RB will get the update, since RB 2 will be out later this year (and that's what Harmonix is doing, outside of DLC. And with the way they treat PS3, I really doubt they'll do it. I wish they did).
[quote name='Solid-Snake-08']If zone of the enders is available on PSN then count me in, if this is real then Sony could make the whole "console war" thing be on their side due to this. But im a little skeptical, because scea hasnt had a good record on the PS1 games on PSN here for NA. And yes i cant wait for the 2.4 update, I recently saw the videos and im impressed, cant wait![/QUOTE]If it's the first one, just go to GS and buy it for $5 (if you have a PS3 that plays PS2 games). It can be easily found and I doubt a download of it would ever beat that cheap (I'm guessing $12 at the cheapest).

If trophies were to be done, they should have been done whole hog.

There are no excuses, TMK. None. Do it wholly or don't do it at all.

That's been Sony's MO this generation: promise the world, and then deliver North Dakota.

[quote name='mykevermin']If trophies were to be done, they should have been done whole hog.

That's been Sony's MO this generation: promise the world, and then deliver North Dakota.[/quote]Looks more like Rhode Island, with some expansion into Delaware.

I agree, it should've been done from the start or not at all.

Maybe when they release greatest hits versions of games the companies will throw in trophies. I imagine GH needs to come soon, and it would make a great E3 announcement to have Resistance and motorstorm at $25 or so with trophies so people can play them cheap before the sequels hit. I'm sure they can find another game or two to include so they have a decent lineup of cheap games. If they are really ambitious, put Ratchet, heavenly sword, and uncharted on the list.

[quote name='mykevermin']If trophies were to be done, they should have been done whole hog.

That's been Sony's MO this generation: promise the world, and then deliver North Dakota.[/QUOTE]MS had plans for achievements WAY before PS3 and 360 came out. Sony did NOT have that idea until they saw how well achievements worked for MS. However, they were initially suppose to be for Home, but with Home being harder to develop than they anticipated, they had to move to another plan.

Many people cried, whine, etc. for them, and that's why we got them. The developers of Sega Rally Revo are no longer owned by Sega (and are now apart of Codemasters). Just how would they implement trophies into their game if they are no longer apart of Sega? Also, Sony themselves cannot tell third parties, you MUST put trophies in their older games, because their games are already out. Newer games on the other hand, they can enforce it. That's the big issue here. Personally, I'm glad they are doing it rather than not doing anything. Afterall, we are NOT paying for trophies. This is a FREE update. If we had to pay something, then I could see a complaint, but this is STILL free. You bought a PS3 without it.

If you don't like Sony or PS3, just sell the thing and stop complaining. We get free trophies in newer games?? What's the problem.

Well, I don't care if it's done from now on, but it has to have been made retroactive in order to be of value to gamers. The appeal of 360 for multiplayer games does, for some, come down to cheesemints: irrespective of what I think of them, they WORK. They MATTER. They're a BRILLIANT marketing ploy.

For PS3 games to implement them half-ass defeats the entire purpose of trying to be competitive with cheesemints in the first place. It's not even bringing a knife to a gunfight, to use that metaphor; it's bringing a dildo to a gunfight.

EDIT: I have standards, toots. I have expectations. I said I'm happy about in-game XMB coming, but you overlook that because your blood pressure rises because I'm not on Sony's jock. I'm not on anybody's jock, homeskillet. 'matter of fact, my third 360 died just 15 minutes ago (I'm never ever ever gonna get to play GoW again, am I?), so it's not like I'm on the payroll or swingin' pom-poms for anyone. I'm a cynic, I'm sardonic, and my approach makes sense. Sorry if sensemaking riles you up.

For you to think that me criticizing trophies is akin to me not liking Sony or PS3, you're out of your bloody gourd, dude. Evidently you overlook the fact that I own all my multiplayer games on the PS3, I play it far more than I do my 360 (related to point A, of course), and I dig the Blu-Ray player. I couldn't, however, give a fuck about Sony. They don't give a fuck about me. They're a CORPORATION; they care about my ducats and don't mind if I get hit by a bus and die after I've spent my money on them. They provide good stuff, I buy good stuff. I don't expect Christmas cards or blowjobs. They provide half-ass stuff, I'll call 'em on it. Every damned week, I'll call 'em on it. You can enjoy "Syphon Filter 3" in the meantime.

It wasn't in from the start, but it is going to be added now. Should it have been there before? Doesn't matter really. Being able to come back down the road and update/change a system is a big deal though.

Seriously, would you rather have them DELAY Resistance 2, DELAY MotorStorm 2, and a bunch of other games just to put trophies in older games? Personally, I rather have them implement them in all new games I buy more. The past is over, time to move on.

I don't know why I bother reading your post Myke, to the ignore list again.

EDIT: Even IGN says positive things about trophies
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/885/885177p3.html

Chris Roper's Take

What Sony showed us of 2.40 looks awesome. I never really missed custom soundtracks, but the Trophy stuff is fantastic. I'm a big fan of the 360's Achievement system, not for overall points, but rather to show how much I've done in a single game. Sony's version looks to cater to my tastes better than a somewhat random number scheme, which is great.

Also, the Level system is brilliant. My Xbox 360 GamerScore is somewhere close to 17,000 right now. If I get an Achievement worth 10 points, that doesn't mean a whole lot at this point. But on the PS3, if I'm at Level 12, I know that every Bronze Trophy brings me one step closer to Level 13. In the scheme of things, it still doesn't mean anything in the overall betterment of my life (getting to Level 50 won't earn me a pay raise at work or a free dinner), but it is one more little thing for me to obsess over and will start getting me to prefer playing the PS3 version of a game rather than its all-things-equal 360 counterpart.

Once this Trophy thing gets going, I'm done with Achievements.

With one morning meeting, Sony has made me ready to buy every cross-platform title on the PlayStation 3 instead of its Microsoft-bred competitor. Sure, points are nice, but now I'm Leveling up? You mean to tell me that Sony's turned my gaming into an RPG of its own? You mean that everyone's going to be starting from square one and have an equal chance at being king of Trophies?

Sign me up.

Seriously, everything I saw during our eyes-on with 2.40 impressed me. The ability to play custom music looks like it'll be fun, the in-game XMB works just like you think it should, and Sony honestly seems like it's ready to improve the feature as it goes. Sure, it's weird that calling the XMB up doesn't automatically pause the game and I'd like to see the Levels of my friends when I glance at the who's online section, but during our session, Sony was already talking about Phase Two and Phase Three additions and plans.

It's nice to know that it's committed.

Sadly, it's going to suck waiting for developers to get Trophies in their games, but the promise of Stardust and every major first-party, 2008 release being ready to roll with the system is a nice silver lining. Plus, they're working on a Warhawk Trophy patch, so I'll be set once that hits.

I'm excited. Really, really excited. Since the PS3 launched, I've been waiting for Sony to say "This is why you should play games on our system." The independent, original award system 2.40 is implementing is a great first step towards an answer to that question.

The PSN is about to become a community.

I'm even more excited after IGN's impressions of the firmware. :D

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, I don't care if it's done from now on, but it has to have been made retroactive in order to be of value to gamers. The appeal of 360 for multiplayer games does, for some, come down to cheesemints: irrespective of what I think of them, they WORK. They MATTER. They're a BRILLIANT marketing ploy.

For PS3 games to implement them half-ass defeats the entire purpose of trying to be competitive with cheesemints in the first place. It's not even bringing a knife to a gunfight, to use that metaphor; it's bringing a dildo to a gunfight.

EDIT: I have standards, toots. I have expectations. I said I'm happy about in-game XMB coming, but you overlook that because your blood pressure rises because I'm not on Sony's jock. I'm not on anybody's jock, homeskillet. 'matter of fact, my third 360 died just 15 minutes ago (I'm never ever ever gonna get to play GoW again, am I?), so it's not like I'm on the payroll or swingin' pom-poms for anyone. I'm a cynic, I'm sardonic, and my approach makes sense. Sorry if sensemaking riles you up.

For you to think that me criticizing trophies is akin to me not liking Sony or PS3, you're out of your bloody gourd, dude. Evidently you overlook the fact that I own all my multiplayer games on the PS3, I play it far more than I do my 360 (related to point A, of course), and I dig the Blu-Ray player. I couldn't, however, give a fuck about Sony. They don't give a fuck about me. They're a CORPORATION; they care about my ducats and don't mind if I get hit by a bus and die after I've spent my money on them. They provide good stuff, I buy good stuff. I don't expect Christmas cards or blowjobs. They provide half-ass stuff, I'll call 'em on it. Every damned week, I'll call 'em on it. You can enjoy "Syphon Filter 3" in the meantime.[/QUOTE]

Damn you act like you were going to be number one on the trophy list if the trophies were retroactively awarded. The point of trophies is to help sell future titles. Sony needs to sell future games not past ones... who gives a fuck what anyone did in Resistance at this point. You and Shrike4242 complaining, but really, how much PS3 gaming have you done and how many trophies do you think you're losing out on it. Like I said before the point of trophies is to get people to buy future titles... whose going to go back and buy old games just for trophies... stop nagging. Just enjoy the new service for what it is.

Future games, eh?

So, what new releases this week will feature trophies? GH: Aerosmith? Civilization: Revolution? What? If you buy a new release PS3 title tomorrow, what's the likelihood it'll have trophies? What about next week's releases? August? September?

It is *the very fact* that trophies are inconsistently supported that destroys the very foundation on which this marketing gimmick lies. If you can't overlook this point, I don't know what to tell you; just don't buy any PS3 titles expecting trophy support, whether a new release down the road, or a launch title.

I would be quite far from #1, but I'm simply pointing out a poorly-implemented marketing tool that I'm not interested in for what it is: a poorly implemented marketing tool. Y'all can enjoy it all you want, or you can put me on the ignore list because you're too incomprehensibly foolish to actually debate the points I make - doesn't bother me at all. I'll be too busy earning trophies in...well, Super Stardust HD, apparently, since that appears to be the only fuckin' title I'll be able to earn trophies from on Wednesday.

:lol:

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I mean it's not like they could just translate everything to points, everything kind of has to have a trophy to it (whether it be Bronze, Silver, Gold, and when you get everything, a Platnium comes up). With those devs, they are moving onto new games now. I mean, when was the last time we got a Resistance update? Resistance 2 is coming out in 5 months, and I'm guessing it would take them at least a month or two to get it patched up (it's not just implementing the patch, there's also the lengthy testing phase and such) and Resistance 2 would be out. Also, it's important Insomniac GETS Resistance 2 out by November (last thing Sony needs is more game delays). It's likely Naughty Dog is busy with Uncharted and I dunno if Sony is working with Game Republic anymore (if they aren't working with Folklore anymore, that may cut off a possible trophy). I do think GT5P and MLB 08 are quite possible, due to not being out for long. I really doubt RB will get the update, since RB 2 will be out later this year (and that's what Harmonix is doing, outside of DLC. And with the way they treat PS3, I really doubt they'll do it. I wish they did).[/quote]
Never even mentioned Resistance, but the fact that they've come out and said that they're not patching trophies into the game puts that to rest. Insomniac is the kind of devloper that has multiple teams working on things and are so efficient that I can't see them missing their Resistance 2 deadlines by putting the work into attaching the trophies to the game's framework that's already in place. It can't take two months to make those adjustments for a patch. Even Evan Wells from Naughty Dog's mentioned supporting the Home trophies, so these can't be that far from the plans they had originally for their trophy support.

There's no reason that Sony wouldn't have been approaching their bigger developers over the past few months about working on trophy support, even offering help to get things done in time for the firmware's launch. I'm not saying every previously-released PS3 game needs to be patched with trophy support, but I can't see Sony making all of this hoopla about trophies and offering only three current games' worth of trophies at/near launch. They have to have had more games in the works behind the scenes, otherwise it's like making a big deal of the upcoming video service and only offering White Chicks and Date Movie at launch.

As an extremely casual player, I'm quite happy with the update.

Don't really care that not all games have trophies.
SSHD will have them patched within a few hours of the FW update.
BuzzTV or whatever has them straight about of the box (comes out this week?)

I don't care.
S'all good, and it'll only get better as things are refined.

Fix the multichannel audio bug/nuisance and I'm pretty much done.

Oh and that clock..... 2 years for the freakin clock.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Never even mentioned Resistance, but the fact that they've come out and said that they're not patching trophies into the game puts that to rest. Insomniac is the kind of devloper that has multiple teams working on things and are so efficient that I can't see them missing their Resistance 2 deadlines by putting the work into attaching the trophies to the game's framework that's already in place. It can't take two months to make those adjustments for a patch. Even Evan Wells from Naughty Dog's mentioned supporting the Home trophies, so these can't be that far from the plans they had originally for their trophy support.

There's no reason that Sony wouldn't have been approaching their bigger developers over the past few months about working on trophy support, even offering help to get things done in time for the firmware's launch. I'm not saying every previously-released PS3 game needs to be patched with trophy support, but I can't see Sony making all of this hoopla about trophies and offering only three current games' worth of trophies at/near launch. They have to have had more games in the works behind the scenes, otherwise it's like making a big deal of the upcoming video service and only offering White Chicks and Date Movie at launch.[/QUOTE]I dunno, the big question overall is, would people rather Sony have released the trophies now (although developers have only had them in their kits for around a month), or wait until November when many more games would have them implemented (because developers would have time)? Personally, I don't care, but I'm just glad they decided to do something. Although, I'll admit I'll miss not being able to download a complete gamesave in some games. ;)

Anyway, the list is a so far on games using trophies (where there might be others which may). There is a chance Uncharted might (since I'm guessing a sequel is probably a year away). The only question is, whether people would want to go through Uncharted again (although a terrific game IMO) just to get all the trophies (because right now, you can technically download a game save).

[quote name='mykevermin']Future games, eh?

So, what new releases this week will feature trophies? GH: Aerosmith? Civilization: Revolution? What? If you buy a new release PS3 title tomorrow, what's the likelihood it'll have trophies? What about next week's releases? August? September?

It is *the very fact* that trophies are inconsistently supported that destroys the very foundation on which this marketing gimmick lies. If you can't overlook this point, I don't know what to tell you; just don't buy any PS3 titles expecting trophy support, whether a new release down the road, or a launch title.

I would be quite far from #1, but I'm simply pointing out a poorly-implemented marketing tool that I'm not interested in for what it is: a poorly implemented marketing tool. Y'all can enjoy it all you want, or you can put me on the ignore list because you're too incomprehensibly foolish to actually debate the points I make - doesn't bother me at all. I'll be too busy earning trophies in...well, Super Stardust HD, apparently, since that appears to be the only fuckin' title I'll be able to earn trophies from on Wednesday.

:lol:[/QUOTE]

GH: aerosmith was developed before Sony had the trophy system completed. But the thing is, for some games that were recently released, they're going to have patches. But the thing is developers are forced to make use of the trophy system, nor are they forced to do the equivalent on the 360. The benefit and the force that will drive developers to make use of trophies will be that games that support trophies will sell better. But the way the system works from understanding is that you earn your accomplishments and then that leads to you getting trophies. Darkness, DMC 4, Borne Conspiracy, (and others) have the ground work set, as they all have accomplishments. Before developers can do anything, Sony has to lay that ground work, and July 2nd.. the groundwork shall be laid.

I can excuse Sony for past games, but Sony does need to get developers with games that aren't complete and releaseing later on this year have the trophy system ready to go with the release of their game. I don't want to download trophy patches for all the games I already own. Any game released after july 2nd needs to have trophies, and if That doesn't happen, then I can say that gimmick hasn't been properly implemented. There is no question about what titles have and doesn't have achievements on the 360 - because all of them have it.. since day 1. I would hope that sony doesn't ruin the fuckin system by haphazardly allowing developers to use trophies when they "want" to. Or have trophy patches, when they feel like getting to it.
Give Sony a chance to get things started before you say that its poorly planned, or bullcrap, etc.

I was stunned to hear people bitching about the lack of auto pause when you bring up the XMB. The pause button is right next to the PS button... 360 fanboys say they don't mind changing a disc, but press pause is out of the question? Damn.

I'm very happy about the 2.4 update, and enjoy the new features. I also like the direction they are going with the trophies. I'm not a big fan of the huge accumulative points, but I think I'd enjoy listing trophies. And I also like it's not attached to your name so you are always defined by your number.

Pretty much Zew. :)
The in game messaging is actually a good feature, hated not being able to read them so I could tell people 'no' right away.

Some games auto-pause when you hit the PS button. (like mgs4)
I also like how speedy the XMB is during the game, I was expecting a sluggish nightmare.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I was stunned to hear people bitching about the lack of auto pause when you bring up the XMB. The pause button is right next to the PS button... 360 fanboys say they don't mind changing a disc, but press pause is out of the question? Damn.

[/QUOTE]

Seriously... :rofl:

[quote name='Thomas96']I can excuse Sony for past games, but Sony does need to get developers with games that aren't complete and releaseing later on this year have the trophy system ready to go with the release of their game. I don't want to download trophy patches for all the games I already own. Any game released after july 2nd needs to have trophies, and if That doesn't happen, then I can say that gimmick hasn't been properly implemented. There is no question about what titles have and doesn't have achievements on the 360 - because all of them have it.. since day 1. I would hope that sony doesn't ruin the fuckin system by haphazardly allowing developers to use trophies when they "want" to. Or have trophy patches, when they feel like getting to it.
Give Sony a chance to get things started before you say that its poorly planned, or bullcrap, etc.[/QUOTE]

I'll give you that much. I don't wholly agree with it, but that's a reasonable compromise between excusing poor/sloppy implementation (the "laissez faire"/"it's cool if not all games have it, we should worship at the Sony altar" TMK approach) or insisting upon full support for every and any game (my approach).

Sadly, TMK's scenario is more likely than the others. We'll still have trophy-less games coming out this Christmas time. Bet on it.

Looking at how many updates that PS3 has needed since launch, shows really how much Sony didn't have ready for the launch of the PS3. MS has definitely out classed Sony this generation. The only thing Sony can attest to is that they better designed and manufactured their system. Other than that they've been totally out classed.... a shame

Wasn't the PS3 released a year earlier than Sony originally planned for?

Apparently there's other features in the update, like clan/group support for friend lists. Couple other things.

They're in the dev kit FW version of this release.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'll give you that much. I don't wholly agree with it, but that's a reasonable compromise between excusing poor/sloppy implementation (the "laissez faire"/"it's cool if not all games have it, we should worship at the Sony altar" TMK approach) or insisting upon full support for every and any game (my approach).

Sadly, TMK's scenario is more likely than the others. We'll still have trophy-less games coming out this Christmas time. Bet on it.[/QUOTE]

All Sony fans are happy about the update, (myself included), but even if they don't say it, they know it needs to be implemented properly. People are very patient with the console they prefer and use for their primary. Sony fans, are patient and have been patient for a long time in waiting for features that 360 owners have enjoyed (and paid for) since day one. [perhaps Sony fans are just too cheap to pay for quality online services and wait till its offered on the free channel] Its no different than 360 owners being patient with MS in regards to a poorly designed and manufactured console that keeps breaking down.

You know what I would like to see trophies be? You get either a Bronze, Silver, Gold or Plat. for each game you play. If you just play a game and didn't really get to far you get a Bronze Trophy, if you beat a game on the lowest difficulty you get a Silver, if you beat it on hard you get a gold and if you did everything in the game you get a platinum. And I think the percentage should be there showing how far into a game someone is.

That's all I really care about, seeing what games my friends own and seeing if they finished it or not.

[quote name='Thomas96']All Sony fans are happy about the update, (myself included), but even if they don't say it, they know it needs to be implemented properly. People are very patient with the console they prefer and use for their primary. Sony fans, are patient and have been patient for a long time in waiting for features that 360 owners have enjoyed (and paid for) since day one. [perhaps Sony fans are just too cheap to pay for quality online services and wait till its offered on the free channel] Its no different than 360 owners being patient with MS in regards to a poorly designed and manufactured console that keeps breaking down.[/QUOTE]

It's a lot different. Missing features is something that have to deal with everyday you use it.

Breaking down is more of a annual/bi-annual ordeal and even then, you're only out of it for two weeks.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']You know what I would like to see trophies be? You get either a Bronze, Silver, Gold or Plat. for each game you play. If you just play a game and didn't really get to far you get a Bronze Trophy, if you beat a game on the lowest difficulty you get a Silver, if you beat it on hard you get a gold and if you did everything in the game you get a platinum. And I think the percentage should be there showing how far into a game someone is.

That's all I really care about, seeing what games my friends own and seeing if they finished it or not.[/quote]

This is a cool idea. Sort of like the Backloggery, but actually controlled by the developers.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']You know what I would like to see trophies be? You get either a Bronze, Silver, Gold or Plat. for each game you play. If you just play a game and didn't really get to far you get a Bronze Trophy, if you beat a game on the lowest difficulty you get a Silver, if you beat it on hard you get a gold and if you did everything in the game you get a platinum. And I think the percentage should be there showing how far into a game someone is.

That's all I really care about, seeing what games my friends own and seeing if they finished it or not.[/QUOTE]

That sounds really boring.

[quote name='dallow']Pretty much Zew. :)
The in game messaging is actually a good feature, hated not being able to read them so I could tell people 'no' right away.

Some games auto-pause when you hit the PS button. (like mgs4)
I also like how speedy the XMB is during the game, I was expecting a sluggish nightmare.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I was expecting slugglish after some games which had access to XMB online were like (such as Rock Band, SingStar, etc.).

Yeah, it's not like Sony can force a pause either (freezing might occur), but now developers will know to pause their game when the PS Button is pressed (like MGS4). Even on 360, some games don't pause (especially if you are online). I'm just glad we can finally check downloads.

Like I said over and over again, I never expected custom soundtracks to be every game, but at least now developers do not have to do all the hard work (meaning writing all the software to implement it. Now all they have to do is kind of say let the feature be used, from what I'm hearing and it doesn't sacrifice any of the developers memory reserved for a game). The main reason I didn't expect music to play over a game is because MS does own a patent on it: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN/6981918

If developers are utilizing it with simple tools provided by Sony, then it's not a copy of the software patent. If music was automatically playing over regular music, then that's a patent infringement or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back