The Official PS3 System Update Thread - 3.10 Available Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='RelentlessRolento']already found a big difference in 2.41 vs. 2.40:

look at profiles, then the trophies. The platinum trophy changed from a crown in 2.40 to a crazy "platinum" trophy.[/QUOTE]

Is that really the biggest change? Aside from the crash fix of course. :)

[quote name='daphatty']Is that really the biggest change? Aside from the crash fix of course. :)[/QUOTE]

to be honest, most likely. other than the crash fix, the most new stuff we'll see between the two was the graphic change. some sony PR guy must have complained or something.

Well, I held out for about an hour. I was too curious about the new platinum icon. I have to say, while I didn't mind the crown at all, this new one looks much cooler.

Also worth noting is that it gives you the option to automatically turn off your PS3 after you finish downloading the update.

EDIT: It installs it automatically too. That's definitely a big change. I didn't even have to press the PS button this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I got back from work yesterday (4:30 am to 3 pm), fell asleep and woke up now, in time for the update, well at least I can download it and go to work since it has the turn off feature now...

Damn something went wrong with my cousins ps3. After updating from 2.36 to 2.41, he tried to import jordin sparks cd on to his ps3. It said that it couldn't copy due to an error. So, I got the cd and imported it on my 2.41 PS3 and worked. He turned off and on his ps3 and it said that it had to be formated?So he did and now lost everything on his hdd. Is this what happened on 2.40?

that auto turn off feature was prety slick. I just thought I left my ps3 on for updating, but realized that it turned off long ago when I set it to update a couple hours back.

I love the option to automatically shut down the system after the update. Now I can sey my system to download updates before I leave for work and not worry about my system staying on all day.

Hoping it fixes audio syncing issues I had with 2.4 with podcasts i downloaded and copied over to the ps3 (The non HD versions of Playvalue from Itunes). They were fine before, but after 2.4 the audio sync was off by about a second. I forget the file format, but all my other videos were fine with 2.4

I'm reading about a 4th tab:
GamersReports writes: "[COLOR=#0068B5 ! important][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][COLOR=#0068B5 ! important][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Sony's[/FONT][/FONT][/color][/color] 2.41 Firmware is available for download via the System Update on your Playstation 3 console. Among the new ability of not bricking your console; the minor update adds a new 4th "tab" to show your last played game, time and date, take a Look.
but I'm not seeing it.

NVM, found it, it's only under players met. WTF is the use for that? You can already see how you met them in what game, I'd like to see this w/ friends so I know what my friends have been recently playing, it's fun to stalk lol

Huh, everyone is mentioning the auto shut down feature, did I miss it? :?:
It just updated as it always had before, so I must have missed something...

Forget trophies, I finally can see what time it is without having to get up off my ass!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who disliked the look of that crown, the new platinum trophy looks a whole lot better.

In retail games you can now earn the World Cup!

EDIT: I hope with a future update they move Account Management from being web based. So slow and inconvenient. Also, move the date/clock to the center or right and stop it from being overlapped by messages.

[quote name='snakelda']Damn something went wrong with my cousins ps3. After updating from 2.36 to 2.41, he tried to import jordin sparks cd on to his ps3. It said that it couldn't copy due to an error. So, I got the cd and imported it on my 2.41 PS3 and worked. He turned off and on his ps3 and it said that it had to be formated?So he did and now lost everything on his hdd. Is this what happened on 2.40?[/quote]

Nope... that is something that only happened to guys who tried to import Jordin Sparks to their HDD...

[quote name='snakelda']Damn something went wrong with my cousins ps3. After updating from 2.36 to 2.41, he tried to import jordin sparks cd on to his ps3. It said that it couldn't copy due to an error. So, I got the cd and imported it on my 2.41 PS3 and worked. He turned off and on his ps3 and it said that it had to be formated?So he did and now lost everything on his hdd. Is this what happened on 2.40?[/quote]

Your cousin's PS3 clearly has better taste in music than yours. ;)

Anyone know if it's possible to hide the clock? Or it'd be nice if there was an option to have it more dim or transparent or to turn off after 30 seconds or something.

I don't think the clock really fits in with everything else, like doesn't blend in well or something. It's hard for me to explain. Like maybe the font is different or something. Pretty useful, I guess, but kind of an eye sore, in my opinion. (Plus I'm probably unnecessarily paranoid of burn in...)

I'm an utter n00b, but please bare with me. :)

This is probably answered SOMEWHERE, but will most PS3 games see trophy support eventually? I know the list is short so far, with only one supported and a few others on the way, but will we see games like, I dunno, Orange Box or even something like Virtua Tennis 3 get trophy support?

[quote name='riccaboni']I'm an utter n00b, but please bare with me. :)

This is probably answered SOMEWHERE, but will most PS3 games see trophy support eventually? I know the list is short so far, with only one supported and a few others on the way, but will we see games like, I dunno, Orange Box or even something like Virtua Tennis 3 get trophy support?[/quote]

Check this thread out.

After we've had a while with 2.40/2.41 I have to say I am actually disappointed. I think since we waited so long for it and it got hyped like crazy, that when i finally got it I was blown away by whatever it was. But there has to be improvements, the biggest being the loading that has to occur when you go into in-game-xmb, 10 seconds is too long every time. Also why is there no in-game message acknowledgment like on XBL. And a smaller problem is when you get a message from someone why cant you view the message when you go into their profile by hitting X. You can send one, but not look at one, weak. I always hit X and then have to return and go to my message box. I'm not saying tis great we finally have it, but it feels like a beta alpha build at the moment.

10 seconds for the XMB to come up? Takes a second or two for me. It does let you know when you get messages while in-game, at least it does for me. Press triangle on their PSN name to open up the message list for that person, or click on the message box higher up on the friends list.

This update has been a little disappointing. I feel like the in-game XMB should have been in place when the damned thing launched, not all this time later. It's nice to check messages, etc while still in-game, but the fact that it's exciting makes me feel all the more disappointed over the 'significance' of this update. Trophies are interesting but not a huge selling point for me.

However, props to Sony for fixing the 2.40 problem so fast, and it seems as if they're dealing with the bricked consoles as quickly and nicely as they can.

The XMB when it starts up takes a few seconds to load for me. In-game, kinda the same since they do it column by column w/ no caching.

Super Stealth Update: Players Met list now tells you during what game you met a player. Only Warhawk mentioned for me though.

[quote name='KingBroly']The XMB when it starts up takes a few seconds to load for me. In-game, kinda the same since they do it column by column w/ no caching.[/QUOTE]I believe they have to do that to minimize memory in-game (because in reality, displaying all icons at once isn't technically possible with the limited OS footprint.

[quote name='KingBroly']The XMB when it starts up takes a few seconds to load for me. In-game, kinda the same since they do it column by column w/ no caching.

Super Stealth Update: Players Met list now tells you during what game you met a player. Only Warhawk mentioned for me though.[/quote]
I've seen that since Resistance on launch day.

[quote name='KingBroly']The XMB when it starts up takes a few seconds to load for me. In-game, kinda the same since they do it column by column w/ no caching.

Super Stealth Update: Players Met list now tells you during what game you met a player. Only Warhawk mentioned for me though.[/quote]

Works for everyone in my PM list..That is so lame that that feature would be under Players Met and not Friends.

Best thing about the update is the clock. I was SO happy to see that.
Otherwise, the trophies are an absolute joke right now. ONE games supports them. I'm hoping that Sony will discuss a lot on trophies at E3, and tell us that there will be a mass update of sorts (I'D LOVE Singstar Trophies).

Well...it seems a bit more...noticable now than it was before. I wish there was a way for the Profile card to tell you what games you and your friends have played, not just the trophy ones. It wouldn't even require specific game updates. The system would just look at your save files for each game and then spit out the game data logo.

This is a big rumor to take with a grain of salt:
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2008/07/10/rumor-ps3-to-get-in-game-video-chat/
One of the most requested features to come with In-Game XMB was Voice Chat. However when 2.40 arrived, many people were disappointed to hear that it wouldn’t be featured with the update. Sony will deliver this addition sometime later this year, however they also hope to go one step further: In-Game Video Chat. And we’re not just talking about video chatting while you have the game paused. According to an inside source, In-Game Video Chat will enable you to video chat with a friend while actually playing your game. It will work in a similar fashion to BD-Live where there is a PiP (Picture in Picture) window in the top right corner of the screen so you can see your friend(s) while you chat with them. It’s unclear when exactly this will arrive but it should come via firmware update by the end of this year.

In-game video chat would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath here.

[quote name='Maklershed']Could they just focus on cross game invites first?[/QUOTE]If you played a ton of PS3 online games (from various publishers), you'd see that might not be technically possible. The issue is, there are three different online setups on PS3:

-Invite system within a game, which isn't XMB supported (Burnout, NFS Carbon, CoD4, etc.)
-Server list or search for game with zero invites (Warhawk, Sega Rally Revo, etc.)
-XMB invites (Tekken 5: DR Online, Ridge Racer 7, etc.)

For the first list, a game would have to be patched and re-done to support cross-game invites. Due to invites being internally, the only way for it to work as a regular XMB invite is for the developers to patch the invite and change it to XMB style (or attach it to the regular invite). And with the way the CoD4 devs have supported the PS3 version since launch (no trophies, no rumble), it wouldn't happen.

For a server list, a game would have to be patched to support invites. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to directly join a game. Sega Rally Revo isn't likely to get it since the developers are no longer owned by Sega (they now work for Codemasters).

XMB invites would work, because they are technically cross-game now (due to the XMB access in-game), but you still have to manually switch (but a firmware upgrade could make it cross-game).

There's also an issue of, whether you send someone an invite from CoD4, and whether it would successfully switch to someone playing Tekken 5: DR Online without a patch.

The main issue is, Sony could actually standardize it in the future for games (using the XMB invite system) and make a cross-game, but there would be a problem with it not working with older games unless patched (since they already have their own invite system or server list).

This is why I do not see cross-game invites coming soon. Since there was no standard originally, developers were allowed to be very open, but they may not work with one another.

With video chat on the other hand, Sony can easily have it overlap a game as long as it doesn't use up more than the memory reserved for the OS..

Personally, I could careless about cross-game invites. PS3 does allow me to do two nice features no other consoles does, and it has a button to eject discs with the controller (or function), and I can change PSN games/downloads inside game (without actually quitting to the XMB).

254.gif

There ya go

Nice update, but Sony really needs to get it together and start standardizing shit. Stuff working in one game and not in another is really quite annoying.

[quote name='TimPV3']Weakness of the Ram :cry:[/QUOTE]That's very true though. If only PS3 would have been designed from the beginning with 1GB of main memory (the RSX can still have 256MB dedicated to it or more). PS3 would clearly be the most powerful and would have many firmware features (kind of like how last gen the EE and GS had some amazing qualities, but PS3 was limited by 4MB of VRAM).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back