The Official PS4 & XBOX ONE Ebay/Scalping Thread.

If you aren't able to tell if the item has potential resale value a week before release then you're an idiot. Most retailer will have there shipments a few days before.

Again only a true moron would be stuck returning anything regardless of what it is they are trying to sell
THANK YOU for proving me right! :applause:

"Your opinion of this thread reflects your definite position on capitalizing from the next-gen launch. Any explanation on what, how or why it is 'we do what we do' would fall on biased and emotionally driven ears. The attempt would be as pointless as keeping unsold consoles beyond the window to return them."

I find it humorous when someone who's never done nor believe in what you're doing tries to indirectly advise you. Sometimes they take it personal when their limited information is dismissed. These individuals actually believe their limitations are an accurate measurement of limitations.

Last edited by a moderator:
THANK YOU for proving me right...

"Your opinion of this thread reflects your definite position on capitalizing from the next-gen launch. Any explanation on what, how or why it is 'we do what we do' would fall on biased and emotionally driven ears. The attempt would be as pointless as keeping unsold consoles beyond the window to return them."

I find it humorous when someone who's never done nor believe in what you're doing tries to indirectly advise you. Sometimes they take it personal when their limited information is dismissed. These individuals actually believe their limitations are an accurate measurement of limitations.
More success on eBay then you could dream of.

Just letting you know you're a moron. If the item doesn't have resale demand before release then save yourself the energy and embarrassment of going HAM and being that guy.

More success on eBay then you could dream of.

Just letting you know you're a moron. If the item doesn't have resale demand before release then save yourself the energy and embarrassment of going HAM and being that guy.
There's absolutely NOTHING about what you've shared nor how you’ve articulated yourself in this thread that gives me any ounce of inclination that you've had success reselling ANYTHING. :nottalking:

There's absolutely NOTHING about what you've shared nor how you’ve articulated yourself in this thread that gives me any ounce of inclination that you've had success reselling ANYTHING. :nottalking:
vhdo.jpg

^ Take a minute to see how much you have to sell to reach platinum status and then get back to me.

The money is in the PS4 this time around. There was no demand for the Wii U and there still isn't. I didn't even bother with that launch. I am buying (2) xbox ones to flip. I think microsoft may benefit from the upcoming PS4 shortage. Make no mistake, the PS4 will make you some dough this year.
Who art thou that bringeth such prophecy? :bow:

MrFocus is on point people. Take this valuable advice from veterans who have made money off of previous launches and take that info yourself an make money. This thread was to advise each other on making maximum profits. And if your going to come in here with an !#(@ attitude then you're of no value to anyone. Why not see the light and make yourself some money too? :)

So what is the best thing to do with my extra PS4 preorder from Amazon? Do I eBay it? And if so when do I list? Do you do BIN or auction and if so do you do reserve?

So what is the best thing to do with my extra PS4 preorder from Amazon? Do I eBay it? And if so when do I list? Do you do BIN or auction and if so do you do reserve?
1 day auction on launch day. DO NOT WAIT. Prices go down slowly towards christmas. BIN vs Auction is your choice, Immediate payment option is quite nice with buy it now

MrFocus is on point people. Take this valuable advice from veterans who have made money off of previous launches and take that info yourself an make money. This thread was to advise each other on making maximum profits. And if your going to come in here with an !#(@ attitude then you're of no value to anyone. Why not see the light and make yourself some money too? :)
Awww geez... thanks big guy.

1 day auction on launch day. DO NOT WAIT. Prices go down slowly towards christmas. BIN vs Auction is your choice, Immediate payment option is quite nice with buy it now
1-day auction on launch day?!? That's a GREAT idea!

See... that's why they call you "BigJoe."

Do you guys think Auction or buy it now with immediate payment would be better? My main concern with auction is that people are going to bid on it with no intention of paying.

Do you guys think Auction or buy it now with immediate payment would be better? My main concern with auction is that people are going to bid on it with no intention of paying.
Your protection against that is to offer BIN with Immediate payment. I have never done that but many people I know had PS3's with a BIN of $1999 and sold it in 5 mins. Let me tell you one thing though. And this is BY FAR your largest concern. The issues of Paypal money freeze's and in 2nd place would be Paypal chargebacks. Nothing like making a grand then having the entire balance frozen for 180 days. then once those days are up you have to fight tooth and nail to get your money back. I have been researching a merchant account. But I may just loose some profits this year and go to craigslist. No I wont get mugged btw. 1st I'm 6'4 250, secondly you complete craigslist transactions in Malls, Police stations, busy Starbucks etc.

Great advice. How much do you think you will make on craigslist compaired to ebay? I was thinking about that too.

Great advice. How much do you think you will make on craigslist compaired to ebay? I was thinking about that too.
On ebay based on what I have seen you shouldn't have any trouble getting over 1k on launch if you put the auction to end on or near launch day. Craigslist profits are all about where you live. New York City or LA or Chicago would be a gold mine compared to where I live so craigslist prices are subjective. Living in the Portland area im aiming for $800-900 on craigslist but that could be long shot around here. Some cities I would imagine getting 1k+ on craigslsit would be a breeze. I think we should all discuss how to sell on ebay since thats where the gold is, and ways to evade paypals said issues. Paypal took a new CEO earlier this year or last year I cant remember. He vowed by 2013 he would be implementing massive changes in order o fix the issues paypal is so famous for. Anyone have any info on that?

Sorry but I find it pretty hilarious that this is a real thread, and also that half the posts are lurkers or 8 day newbies.

This site is becoming the video game sections of SD more and more everyday

(Even though, i may flip a console depending on prices)

Sorry but I would not take my precious time to make a secondary profile so I can make more posts on scalping systems to a bunch of nerds on a gaming forum lol. Get real. Obviously us people scalping system have the money to purchase 10+ systems with ease. We dont have this kind of money because we are stupid, so either contribute productive input on the topic or leave. There are many other thread to choose from but you specifically chose this one out of the 1000's to come and complain on. Leads me to believe you're broke and jealous, so you have to come spread your hate. I said I was going to be nice but some of you geeks are just too much lol. 

Who art thou that bringeth such prophecy? :bow:
The one who watches markets flourish and crumble, the one who rises from the ashes when new systems are on the horizon, only to speak knowledge when his own intentions are well kept.

It would be wise, my friend, to heed this knowledge. Now go, with haste!!

I preordered 16 PS4s and 3 XB1. I'm no dummy...
no, sir! you are not!!

Did u happen to perhaps use a new credit card that would reward you with round trip tickets to the carribean or some other exorbitant reward for spending a set amount of money in a certain period of time?

the benefits of new console launches are many.....

no, sir! you are not!!

Did u happen to perhaps use a new credit card that would reward you with round trip tickets to the carribean or some other exorbitant reward for spending a set amount of money in a certain period of time?

the benefits of new console launches are many.....
No, but 6 of them are from Target and will go on my Red Card, 5% cash back, $120.

No, but 6 of them are from Target and will go on my Red Card, 5% cash back, $120.
well played sir, well played. look into the chase credit cards, some have a reward of 600 bucks. The air tran visa will get you 2 round trip flights to anywhere they fly. As I heard one man say, "booyahkah" !

Genius! You know... cause Target is a really reputable store to preorder items from. Just ask everyone who preordered their Pikachu 3DS XL from Target!
That's why I have 10 more preordered elsewhere. I don't even understand the preorder system at target, no unique identifiers on those preorder cards...

Sorry but I find it pretty hilarious that this is a real thread, and also that half the posts are lurkers or 8 day newbies.

This site is becoming the video game sections of SD more and more everyday

(Even though, i may flip a console depending on prices)

Oops sorry... I didn't know that you had to be a member for a certain amount of time before you can flip a console. Hope this doesn't upset you. Can you please come back and tell me when I have been here long enough to; flip, trade, host a lowball etc.?

Thanks!

Oops sorry... I didn't know that you had to be a member for a certain amount of time before you can flip a console. Hope this doesn't upset you. Can you please come back and tell me when I have been here long enough to; flip, trade, host a lowball etc.?

Thanks!
Generally speaking, you have to wait about 90 days before you get a message from the mods, granting you permission... though sometimes they'll give you early access if you message them a week or so in advance. Really depends on the mod you're dealing with.

Generally speaking, you have to wait about 90 days before you get a message from the mods, granting you permission... though sometimes they'll give you early access if you message them a week or so in advance. Really depends on the mod you're dealing with.
Listen to him Chalupa! He knows his stuff! Even his name is iamsmart. Which means he's smart, are you seriously going to ignore the advice from someone who is smart? Let alone, someone as smart as iamsmart. I mean just his name indicates how smart he really is. Im a little intimidated about his extensive knowledge on how moderators work on this website. I don't know what I would do if I inadvertently offended someone who has close ties Modfia. Maybe I should just talk crap, then flex my mod muscles. Trololololololololol. On a serious note, most of the mods you will talk with on this site are pretty cool people and don't try to troll you to death. Cough cough

Hey y’all,

I have two bundles pre-ordered from Amazon (mainly to avoid sales tax). I hope to sell at least one at nice markup.

I have never scalped anything before. I do not even have an eBay/PayPal account. I have also heard way too many stories about their buyer friendly policies, and how they put all the burden of proof on the seller during disputes. Don’t wanna deal with some scumbag buyer claiming I sent him a box of phone books, or returning an empty box after claiming the “item did not work as described”. Even if I get a final judgement in my favor, that’s a whole lot of hassle and stress that takes away all the joy of making a quick buck.

Hence, I intend to stick to Craigslist and deal with all cash buyers only. I will meet them at a busy Starbucks, or some such place to avoid being robbed etc. One issue with cash is counterfeit. I could buy a currency pen to remedy that. Another possibility is to meet at a bank during business hours, and deposit the cash right there into my checking account and only then hand over the PS4 to the buyer.

Just to play the devil’s advocate, here are the risk factors.

- PS4, unlike PS3, is not based on some alien-tech cell processor. BluRay is also a mature technology now. When PS3 was release Sony had huge manufacturing yield issues. Jack Tretton himself is famously quoted to bet $1200 that you can’t find a PS3 on store shelves. PS4 is different. It is based on x86 architecture, mostly off-the-shelf parts, and BluRay is a very mature technology now. The Hynix factory fire notwithstanding, production yields are said to be very good this time around.

- Sony is also claiming to be holding back stock to make sure there is a continuous stream of units on B&M store shelves. This means that the late-to-the-party buyer is likely to hear “We are sorry, we are out of stock right now, but receive new shipments weekly, would you like to place a pre-order?” as opposed to “We are sorry, we are out of stock, it’s anybody’s guess when we’ll get resupplied”. This alone could make a huge difference as whether this customer deciders to shell out the extra $$$ to make some scalper happy.

- Amount of pre-orders are unprecedented this time around. Some might say this augurs well for us scalpers. But this could also mean that opportunities to scalp are severely limited this time around. For one, it could very well be that majority of the pre-orderers are scalpers themselves. Also, the hard-core enthusiasts, who are most likely to shell out the extra $$$ to buy the latest product from us scalpers, have had plenty of time (months, actually) to pre-order a system with a single click of a mouse.

People might say there still no risk. You can always return it to the store. This may be true for those who pre-ordered from Walmart or GameStop. But with Amazon we need to pay return shipping. And BestBuy has a restocking fee. So it is not entirely risk-free. You may end up losing some if you can’t scalp at cost at least.

All these make it imperative that we be able to judge the potential demand during the week leading up to Nov 15. It is far better to cancel the extra pre-order if it looks like that scalping will be difficult.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Edit: formatting.

Hey y’all,

I have two bundles pre-ordered from Amazon (mainly to avoid sales tax). I hope to sell at least one at nice markup.

I have never scalped anything before. I do not even have an eBay/PayPal account. I have also heard way too many stories about their buyer friendly policies, and how they put all the burden of proof on the seller during disputes. Don’t wanna deal with some scumbag buyer claiming I sent him a box of phone books, or returning an empty box after claiming the “item did not work as described”. Even if I get a final judgement in my favor, that’s a whole lot of hassle and stress that takes away all the joy of making a quick buck.

Hence, I intend to stick to Craigslist and deal with all cash buyers only. I will meet them at a busy Starbucks, or some such place to avoid being robbed etc. One issue with cash is counterfeit. I could buy a currency pen to remedy that. Another possibility is to meet at a bank during business hours, and deposit the cash right there into my checking account and only then hand over the PS4 to the buyer.

- PS4, unlike PS3, is not based on some alien-tech cell processor. BluRay is also a mature technology now. When PS3 was release Sony had huge manufacturing yield issues. Jack Tretton himself is famously quoted to bet $1200 that you can’t find a PS3 on store shelves. PS4 is different. It is based on x86 architecture, mostly off-the-shelf parts, and BluRay is a very mature technology now. The Hynix factory fire notwithstanding, production yields are said to be very good this time around.

- Sony is also claiming to be holding back stock to make sure there is a continuous stream of units on B&M store shelves. This means that the late-to-the-party buyer is likely to hear “We are sorry, we are out of stock right now, but receive new shipments weekly, would you like to place a pre-order?” as opposed to “We are sorry, we are out of stock, it’s anybody’s guess when we’ll get resupplied”. This alone could make a huge difference as whether this customer deciders to shell out the extra $$$ to make some scalper happy.

- Amount of pre-orders are unprecedented this time around. Some might say this augurs well for us scalpers. But this could also mean that opportunities to scalp are severely limited this time around. For one, it could very well be that majority of the pre-orderers are scalpers themselves. Also, the hard-core enthusiasts, who are most likely to shell out the extra $$$ to buy the latest product from us scalpers, have had plenty of time (months, actually) to pre-order a system with a single click of a mouse.

People might say there still no risk. You can always return it to the store. This may be true for those who pre-ordered from Walmart or GameStop. But with Amazon we need to pay return shipping. And BestBuy has a restocking fee. So it is not entirely risk-free. You may end up losing some if you can’t scalp at cost at least.

All these make it imperative that we be able to judge the potential demand during the week leading up to Nov 15. It is far better to cancel the extra pre-order if it looks like that scalping will be difficult.

All your points are valid but I would just look at it like this.

- The tiny amount of money you may lose selling at cost is well worth it so you don't have to worry about the "what if" factor if you had missed out on this company. At least you tried and didn't miss a goldmine that may or may not of existed. Guarantee you would hate yourself if you backed out and this was like the PS3

- Also the newer were colored bills were designed to be are much harder to make. Older bills are a small red flag. A pen would work great. I have used one for craigslist transactions to insure safety.

- 2 weeks prior to launch and slightly after launch yield the highest prices in the past so you can easily gauge the market value

- The money us scalpers make is chump change to Sony. They love there system being sold out. Hype is their goal and us scalpers help with that. Sony could care less about the change we make. The want to start a hype train that will plow well into 2014. People who think Sony wants to cash in on our minuscule profits don't quite understand large scale economics. Their price and allotment is all apart of a well thought out precise formula and that is their focus. With or without scalpers.

-This may be a UK based article but its a recent, interesting read..

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games/1302529/ps4-stock-shortages-look-bad-for-anyone-that-misses-out-on-launch-day

You sound someone who should not being doing this. You say you want to avoid stress but you are stressing right now worrying about all these things that could potentially go wrong. You're even considering getting a pen to detect counterfeit money fory crying out loud lol. You have valid concerns certainly and it's good you're thinking things through but ultimately you just sound like someone who will drive themselves nuts from too much thinking and worrying to the point where it's just not worth it. Sidenote: I really don't think anyone scalping will be making super great money either but whatever.

A tip if you want to expand outside craigslist would be using Facebook. These days there are Buy-Sell-Trade groups for your local area popping up more and more everyday. They're just groups if you are famiilar with FB where people can post things they are selling to meet up or go on there requesting particular things they are buying. I find it a great alternative to craigslist and highly recommend seeing if your area has one by searching it. If you don't have a FB just make a null account and go from there but I think they're great and have seen plenty of success personally from using them.

Hey y’all,

I have never scalped anything before... I heard way too many stories... Don’t wanna deal with some scumbag buyer... that’s a whole lot of hassle and stress that takes away all the joy of making a quick buck.

...stick to Craigslist...avoid being robbed. One issue with cash is counterfeit... buy a currency pen to remedy that... meet at a bank during business hours, and deposit the cash right there into my checking account and only then hand over the PS4 to the buyer.

...devil’s advocate, risk factors:

- PS4, unlike PS3... production yields are said to be very good this time around.

- Sony holding back stock... receive new shipments weekly, would you like to place a (2nd run) pre-order?” This alone could make a huge difference as whether this customer deciders to shell out the extra $$$ to make some scalper happy.

...with Amazon we need to pay return shipping. And BestBuy has a restocking fee. So it is not entirely risk-free. You may end up losing some if you can’t scalp at cost at least.

Gentlemen and fellow opportunist,

Please be very AWARE of this wolf in sheep clothing. Before I point out the obvious, notice how he begins his post stating he has NO clue but by the end of his post he is indeed VERY knowledgeable.

1.) Notice his use of the word "scalper" and how it changes from a "we" reference to a "you" reference once he gets comfortable towards the end of his post.

2.) Participants of this thread refer to ourselves as opportunist not scalpers.

3.) He actually used the word “scalp” eight times.

4.) If this "newbie" was actually interested in profiting from the PS4 he would've posted 1-2 line questions seeking information and strategies. This individual seemingly had a different objective.

5.) His screen name is "First Time Scalper.”

I don't know where to begin in dissecting his narcissistic mentality which lead to the choosing of his screen name, "First Time Scalper.” Understand this is a screen name that shows how little he thinks of our beloved thread and at the same time an attempt to insult our intelligence. Really dude, really? smh

In my next post I will reveal the identity of this shameless WOLF.

I'm not going to read this entire thread because it genuinely sucks...

but I do have one question...

Why the fuck would you preorder and pick up a shitload of consoles and then be a major douchebag and return them?

Why not put up listings 1-2 weeks before release, judge interest, and cancel preorders if there is none?

Sometimes I wish stores never got away from restocking fees. I'm all for consumers being able to return something penalty free but I don't think retailers should bailout dumb ass flippers.

If you aren't able to tell if the item has potential resale value a week before release then you're an idiot. Most retailer will have there shipments a few days before.

Again only a true moron would be stuck returning anything regardless of what it is they are trying to sell

Yep.

Again this thread sucks.

If you allow PayPal to hold funds for 180 days then you shouldn't be selling on eBay.

Hey y’all,

- PS4, unlike PS3, ...production yields are said to be very good this time around.

BUSTED!!! :twoguns: :whee:

Excellent point regardig the "what if" factor. I am guessing return shipping to Amazon should be around $10 for a PS4 bundle (approx. 10-12 lb I think).

All your points are valid but I would just look at it like this.

- The tiny amount of money you may lose selling at cost is well worth it so you don't have to worry about the "what if" factor if you had missed out on this company. At least you tried and didn't miss a goldmine that may or may not of existed. Guarantee you would hate yourself if you backed out and this was like the PS3

- Also the newer were colored bills were designed to be are much harder to make. Older bills are a small red flag. A pen would work great. I have used one for craigslist transactions to insure safety.

- 2 weeks prior to launch and slightly after launch yield the highest prices in the past so you can easily gauge the market value

- The money us scalpers make is chump change to Sony. They love there system being sold out. Hype is their goal and us scalpers help with that. Sony could care less about the change we make. The want to start a hype train that will plow well into 2014. People who think Sony wants to cash in on our minuscule profits don't quite understand large scale economics. Their price and allotment is all apart of a well thought out precise formula and that is their focus. With or without scalpers.

Haha, you are right. I probably should not be doing this. Initially I just pre-ordered one for myself. Then I saw all the craziness and decided to jump in with a second pre-order. But no more. Two is more than enough for me.

I am not really stressing out right now. What you are calling stress is just planning from my perspective. Some may call it risk-managment. Stress may happen later if something goes wrong and I am kicking myself for not properly thinking things through. I guess it's a personality thing - need to make sure that the worst case scenario is accounted for.

Thanks for the FB tip. Will definitely look into that.

You sound someone who should not being doing this. You say you want to avoid stress but you are stressing right now worrying about all these things that could potentially go wrong. You're even considering getting a pen to detect counterfeit money fory crying out loud lol. You have valid concerns certainly and it's good you're thinking things through but ultimately you just sound like someone who will drive themselves nuts from too much thinking and worrying to the point where it's just not worth it. Sidenote: I really don't think anyone scalping will be making super great money either but whatever.

A tip if you want to expand outside craigslist would be using Facebook. These days there are Buy-Sell-Trade groups for your local area popping up more and more everyday. They're just groups if you are famiilar with FB where people can post things they are selling to meet up or go on there requesting particular things they are buying. I find it a great alternative to craigslist and highly recommend seeing if your area has one by searching it. If you don't have a FB just make a null account and go from there but I think they're great and have seen plenty of success personally from using them.

You are just stupid. Splitting hairs over "scalpers" vs "opportunists"? Come on...I guess If enough people complain I will switch to the latter term. Too much hassle to change the user name though - sorry.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with it. Sure some in the gaming community might dislike it, but it's done all the time everywhere else. And no one here is hoarding medicine to sell for a profit during an epidemic. These are game consoles! BTW, a well-known day trading technique is "scalping". Why the shame behind this word? Why is opportunist better?

Gentlemen and fellow opportunist,

Please be very AWARE of this wolf in sheep clothing. Before I point out the obvious, notice how he begins his post stating he has NO clue but by the end of his post he is indeed VERY knowledgeable.

1.) Notice his use of the word "scalper" and how it changes from a "we" reference to a "you" reference once he gets comfortable towards the end of his post.

2.) Participants of this thread refer to ourselves as opportunist not scalpers.

3.) He actually used the word “scalp” eight times.

4.) If this "newbie" was actually interested in profiting from the PS4 he would've posted 1-2 line questions seeking information and strategies. This individual seemingly had a different objective.

5.) His screen name is "First Time Scalper.”

I don't know where to begin in dissecting his narcissistic mentality which lead to the choosing of his screen name, "First Time Scalper.” Understand this is a screen name that shows how little he thinks of our beloved thread and at the same time an attempt to insult our intelligence. Really dude, really? smh

In my next post I will reveal the identity of this shameless WOLF.

Enough with the insults and arguing in this thread.  Keep it civil.  If you can't, use the ignore feature.

If you have the option still, then yes you are in a better position. I also thought you were being charged $30 per console just to get them shipped to you. This would majorly eat into your profits. So you are in an okay position, as long as the profit margin stays pretty high.

If you sell 30 consoles at a $250 "profit" each, you will be paying EBay/paypal about 12% of the total (keep in mind that depending on your EBay status, you'll only be able to sell a small amount at a time). You're also paying for shipping and $30 fee per console so your profit could be (if you are avoiding tax on buying consoles) around $100 per console. This is of course banking on the $250 profit.
I've setup an eBay store to cut 60% of my fees. I have a way to get around selling thresholds. More importantly if my price points dip below my target per console I will charge for shipping.

Using your conservative profit of $250 -$27 eBay store fee -$20 PayPal fee = $203

You seem quite sharp in discussing the resell of "next-gen" consoles. Are you planning on buying multiples as well?

MrFocus: What do you plan to do about the infamous Paypal money freeze? I know the ebay profits are going to be there. I just want to know what happens when an account sells 5+ PS4's and suddenly an account has $1000's in funds. Paypal would jump on me like a cracked out jack rabbit. I have been considering a merchant account. But I really want to cash in on ebay profits compared to the lesser profit found on craigslsit. What do you plan to do in terms of accepting payment? 

bread's done
Back