The Official PS4 & XBOX ONE Ebay/Scalping Thread.

I wish Ebay would bring back Money Orders, I would gladly pay higher listing fee's in order to eliminate the trash that is paypal from my auctions. Those money orders worked fantastically during the PS3/Wii era.

MrFocus: What do you plan to do about the infamous Paypal money freeze? I know the ebay profits are going to be there. I just want to know what happens when an account sells 5+ PS4's and suddenly an account has $1000's in funds. Paypal would jump on me like a cracked out jack rabbit. I have been considering a merchant account. But I really want to cash in on ebay profits compared to the lesser profit found on craigslsit. What do you plan to do in terms of accepting payment?
I've recently had 1 of 2 conversations with PayPal to avoid an account freeze. If you do business on eBay buyers expect to complete the transaction with PayPal. Overall I think PayPal is a necessary evil especially when it comes to buyers' confidence. Honestly, PayPal freezes don't bother me, I'm willing to wait. Although I do wish my PayPal account was setup as an LLC when considering the amount of money that's going to be flowing through it. :whistle2:k

Paypal's analytics are sometimes a little too sensitive. 

I've sold on eBay for 10+ years now.  1000+ feedback - 100% positive.  I sold my Dead Space 3 watch for over $500 and then Paypal still froze the transaction to examine it closer. 

Paypal's analytics are sometimes a little too sensitive.

I've sold on eBay for 10+ years now. 1000+ feedback - 100% positive. I sold my Dead Space 3 watch for over $500 and then Paypal still froze the transaction to examine it closer.
How long did they freeze your money?

I think I already mentioned this but I had sold a semi expensive ($700-800ish) Tag Heuer watch on Ebay maybe a year ago. The Buyer loved it and left me positive feedback, but Paypal had frozen my account due to "suspicious activity" for 180 days. And they refuse to release the funds before that time period. They also ask for ultra sensitive information just to look at your case such as: Social Security Card, Utility Bills, and many other pieces of un-nesscary info. I presume they do this as they know many people would rather give up in the fight than to release that kind of information, by doing that they probably get a lot less headache about freezing money.

Now I want to know what you guys have to say about this. Freezing $800 was highly troublesome but wasnt the end of the world. Selling 5 PS4's at say 1k per unit. And you could have over $5000 frozen until next June!!!

MrFocus, what kind of conversation did you have with Paypal? I wouldn't trust a word they say in terms of keeping your account immune to freezes. I have heard that story oh so many times. You sound like you may have a plan? Please share. None of us are safe from Paypal regardless of who you are.

I really, really don't see these being big sellers. I have a second PS4 preordered via Amazon (in addition to one at GS). Once I'm sure I'll be able to get the one at GS, I'll be cancelling the Amazon one. Even if I wanted to sell it (and I've been selling stuff on eBay for over 15 years so I know how to do it) I wouldn't think any potential profit would be worth the hassle.

We'll see - I could be wrong. But I don't think this will even be like the PS3 (where they sold for over retail for what, a week?). Maybe a few people will get away with a couple hundred over retail on day 1.

Don't forgot how very few PS3 preorders there were - like 12 per GS store and they never reopened before launch. How many PS4 preorders have GS stores taken and how many times have they had them? It's even worse for X1.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long did they freeze your money?

I don't remember but it was only for a few days. My freeze was for the particular transaction and not the entire Paypal account itself. I supplied them with my social long time ago so I think my account was fine with them from the get go.

The 6 month freeze is when Paypal suspects you're not forthcoming with all the information. As Big Joe just mentioned, they ask for additional information to verify your ID to make sure you're a real person. I think all that personal information is required to be submitted if you want them to release your funds before the 6 month wait. Otherwise, if you don't provide personal info you have to wait it out for 6 months to get your money. Paypal got burned on some high profile scam frauds years back from international thieves so they became super strict in response and everybody else ends up getting punished for it. I forget what the story was but it's public info if you want to look it up.

How would you guys recommend going about selling a XBone Day One Edition? When I first preordered it (Amazon) I had every intention of keeping it but realized that if I can make enough to subsidize another purchase plus maybe extra, why not? I see right now the cheapest one going on eBay in BIN is $1200 + shipping and it's not even around launch time yet which makes me think this thing could easily go for $2000+ around launch. 

So what's the best way to do this? I've never sold off of eBay or Craigslist before... if I sell off eBay will the money I make be pretty much guaranteed to be frozen since I'd be using a new account? Thanks guys.  

How would you guys recommend going about selling a XBone Day One Edition? When I first preordered it (Amazon) I had every intention of keeping it but realized that if I can make enough to subsidize another purchase plus maybe extra, why not? I see right now the cheapest one going on eBay in BIN is $1200 + shipping and it's not even around launch time yet which makes me think this thing could easily go for $2000+ around launch.

So what's the best way to do this? I've never sold off of eBay or Craigslist before... if I sell off eBay will the money I make be pretty much guaranteed to be frozen since I'd be using a new account? Thanks guys.
Subsidy by delaying 'next-gen' gratification? Well aren't you sharp as a tack! :applause:

You'll get top dollar on eBay for obvious reasons. The trade-offs or "potential issues" are conducive to your profits as long as you set a margin above your breakeven point.

Yes... your transaction, NOT your new account, will be frozen until eBay can confirm the item was received by the 'buyer' and the recipient was satisfied. As long as you give PayPal two forms of identification your money will be free in 21 days or less. Again the 'freeze time' is mostly predicated on 'buyer' feedback. :argue:

You're welcome.

I have 5x XB1 pre-orders but I'm doubtful it'll be worth my while to acquire more than that. Besides the "Day One 2013" label, I'm not seeing much demand. Fellow opportunist... am I missing something? :whistle2:k

hey mr focus, so how much do you think you'll make after everything is said and done? $30,000 in profit? 

is it worth me to setup  a basic ebay store? 

nice mrfocus!

walmart i presume? i have 2 xbox ones also.I would have bought more ps4s but money tight.
Thanks! Much like yourself, my PS4 haul will come from four sources. Three of which sources will cost me a minor "surcharge" to secure multiple consoles.

8x PS4's and 2x XB1's... don't fret my friend, money won't be tight very long!

hey mr focus, so how much do you think you'll make after everything is said and done? $30,000 in profit?

is it worth me to setup a basic ebay store?
Yes! Definitely setup an eBay store but wait until November.

If I can average $2,000 per unit I'll net $41,331.30 after fees, surcharges and free shipping. :pray:

Thanks! Much like yourself, my PS4 haul will come from four sources. Three of which sources will cost me a minor "surcharge" to secure multiple consoles.

If I can average $2,000 per unit I'll net $41,331.30 after fees, surcharges and free shipping. :pray:
no way you get 2000 lol even ps3's did not go for that

I have read the market differently my friend, I think it will be much like the ps2 launch. You may be able to double your money, but I don't think prices will hit $2000 like the ps3 did on its preorders.

Wait....there is demand for these !?
I have a Day One Xbox One and a Launch Edition PS4 paid off on amazon.....
Hmmmm.....the decisions the decisions....

I would absolutely love to somehow make a profit though, I have an ebay account with 37 Positive Feedback, but only 8 of those feedbacks are from me being the seller, the others are from orders I purchased.

Can someone summarize the BEST ways to setup the auction/buy-it-now ? Including what safety features to use to help make it effortless and a breeze ! That would be awesome, also if someone can reply with a great writeup MrFocus could put it in the first page post !

Have at it !!

I would absolutely love to somehow make a profit though, I have an ebay account with 37 Positive Feedback, but only 8 of those feedbacks are from me being the seller, the others are from orders I purchased.

Can someone summarize the BEST ways to setup the auction/buy-it-now ? Including what safety features to use to help make it effortless and a breeze ! That would be awesome, also if someone can reply with a great writeup MrFocus could put it in the first page post !

Have at it !!

37 feedback!?!? How are you not running Ebay :oldman: :oldman: :oldman: :oldman: :oldman: :oldman:

How about getting a job, and off food stamps.

Getting over 1000 for these, you are not getting that money or are getting stolen card info

So, I've thought about trying to sell on Ebay, but I've heard so many horror stories about "chargebacks".  Is there any way to avoid chargebacks ?   I don't mind PayPal holding funds for awhile, I'm just concerned with the potential for a chargeback.

Also, can we sell the PS4 internationally via Ebay ? I think we would get the most money if we were willing to go international, because I'm sure there will be wealthy folks in various countries that won't be able to get a PS4 unless they get one from America and have it shipped to them.  There could be a LOT of Japanese importers.

37 feedback!?!? How are you not running Ebay :oldman: :oldman: :oldman: :oldman: :oldman: :oldman:

Getting over 1000 for these, you are not getting that money or are getting stolen card info
What's your problem? Why do you think that just b/c someone resells that they automatically must be on food stamps or some other program. Even at that, the guy was just asking a simply question. No need to be a tool about it.

I won't go into detail but I'd say list the auction 3 days before launch at a bid w/ a buy it now for $2000+ or something. Don't sell to people with 0 feedback, outside the U.S. Make sure to have delivery confirmation, signature confirmation, and take insurance out on both items.

I have read the market differently my friend, I think it will be much like the ps2 launch. You may be able to double your money, but I don't think prices will hit $2000 like the ps3 did on its preorders.
Only time will tell. Better indicators will be made available to me by November 5th.

It doesn't appear that any of these actually sold, but have been relisted. They are asking over 2k but I don't think they will get it. That's just my 2 cents. I hope I am wrong!! hehehe muhahahaha
Those listings were pulled from the "SOLD" refinement search option.

LOL @ "I hope I am wrong!! hehehe muhahahaha"

that don't mean that becomes legit buyer lol
True, it does not... but it does compromise your initial claim.

Have at it !!
Yes my friend... step into the Dark side and see your purse filled with coin!

You only have one of each but they're both paid off which is good. I recommend setting up a "Buy It Now" listing the day of launch. If it doesn't move by 4pm EST then end your listing and setup an '1-day' auction with a reserve price above your breakeven point (including eBay and PayPal fees).

Precautions: Take pictures of the box and serial number, within your listing state that you want immediate payment, research and analyze the competency of your winning 'buyer', use signature and tracking confirmation, be sure to list the serial number and tracking number in the transaction field, stay in constant communication with the 'buyer' until they leave feedback.

So, I've thought about trying to sell on Ebay, but I've heard so many horror stories about "chargebacks". Is there any way to avoid chargebacks ? I don't mind PayPal holding funds for awhile, I'm just concerned with the potential for a chargeback.

Also, can we sell the PS4 internationally via Ebay ? I think we would get the most money if we were willing to go international, because I'm sure there will be wealthy folks in various countries that won't be able to get a PS4 unless they get one from America and have it shipped to them. There could be a LOT of Japanese importers.
There is no way to avoid a potential chargeback. I recommend analyzing and researching your 'buyers' before you ship their item. Depending on the amount of the sell, I'd consider calling eBay/PayPal to inquire about the 'buyer'.

You can sale to International 'buyers', I'm looking at one particular overseas market myself, but the risk are greater. My suggestion is that you solely focus on selling to American 'buyers' until you feel confident enough to take on greater risks.

I won't go into detail but I'd say list the auction 3 days before launch at a bid w/ a buy it now for $2000+ or something. Don't sell to people with 0 feedback, outside the U.S. Make sure to have delivery confirmation, signature confirmation, and take insurance out on both items.
Good advice.

Good luck sellers. I was around for the PS3 and made a few hundred at launch on a 20GB console. PS3 launch was crazy. 

Waited in line for original Wii with ex-wife at Best Buy. We wanted one for my nephews and got two tickets at open. 1st cause we wanted one, second wince we said why not. Wife was there so she just took one. Ended up selling the second ticket for $50 right as door opened. No hassle, no fuss. Woman was upset because she showed up right as doors opened and tickets were already gone. Really it was best for both of us, she ended up getting the very hot console for only $50 more from a store where she could bring it back if there was a problem.

I have no interest in it this time around though. Already have a PS3 with a ton of games to play and neither the PS4 or Xbox seems to have the same mystique or fervor the last launches did. Not really interested in either console or in waiting in line for hours again either. Not going to lie, it would have been nice to have one console for both PS3 and PS4 games. If the PS4 was backwards compatible like the PS3 was it would be a no brainer. I could burn through by backlog but the PS4 games I have seen so far just look bleh. But good luck to those of you fighting the good fight.

It is better to remain silent and be presumed ignorant than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Good luck sellers. I was around for the PS3 and made a few hundred at launch on a 20GB console. PS3 launch was crazy.

I have no interest in it this time around though... But good luck to those of you fighting the good fight.
Thanks for sharing and we appreciate the best wishes!

I think International buyers would be willing to spend more. There is more risk of course, but if you limit it to specifc countries, and avoid certain countries, you would be in a good situation me thinks.

For example, a bundle with a PS4 and a copy of Knack would sell well to a Japanese audience that isn't getting the PS4 till February. Could I put an item on Ebay, specifically targeting Japan ?   Because I also don't think there are that many scammers that would be buying from Japan.

Shipping would be outrageous though, as well as insurance. 

For those who are trying to sell PS4/consoles through ebay don't forget there is a seller's limit for each selling account. Mine is 100 items or $5,000 per month. You will be only be allowed to sell one console during presale and then one per week after launch. So theoretically you can sell one PS4 and one Xbox One each week assuming you haven't reached your selling limit for that month. As for presales, you must have a certain number of feedbacks. The number during the last PS3 launch was at least 50 with 98% positives.

okay guys i ran some analysis on "xbox 360" from a sample of 10,000 auctions from 11/9 to 12/9

Average sales price per auction (ASP): $739.17 

Ones with BIN Sold 32.15% of the time, without sold 54.99% of the time

Auctions with gallery picture sold 62.60%
Bold a 20.56%

so definatly want to do that in your auctions

best starting day: Sunday 19.74% of sales

best end date: Monday: 27.73% of sales

Ending time: highest 19:00 - 19:59 868 is 8.68% pretty much all other times are a span of 5%

1 day auctions sold: 38.62% of the time, so you definatly want 1 day

I did extensive tracking of the Xbox 360. I sold several units on the after-market. Xbox 360s before release were selling for about 3 time value. A $400 system (just console) was selling in the $1200 neighborhood. Then at release time, the after-market prices dropped to around twice value. A $400 system was then selling in the $800-$900 range. From that point on there was a very steady predictable drop in price until Christmas. I was able to obtain a 360 right before Christmas which I was able to sell for $580 – about a $150 profit. (Yes, of course there were exceptions to this, but this was the basic pattern after watching thousands of units for sale).

For those who are trying to sell PS4/consoles through ebay don't forget there is a seller's limit for each selling account. Mine is 100 items or $5,000 per month. You will be only be allowed to sell one console during presale and then one per week after launch. So theoretically you can sell one PS4 and one Xbox One each week assuming you haven't reached your selling limit for that month. As for presales, you must have a certain number of feedbacks. The number during the last PS3 launch was at least 50 with 98% positives.

okay guys i ran some analysis on "xbox 360" from a sample of 10,000 auctions from 11/9 to 12/9

Average sales price per auction (ASP): $739.17

Ones with BIN Sold 32.15% of the time, without sold 54.99% of the time

Bold a 20.56%

so definatly want to do that in your auctions

best starting day: Sunday 19.74% of sales

best end date: Monday: 27.73% of sales

Ending time: highest 19:00 - 19:59 868 is 8.68% pretty much all other times are a span of 5%

1 day auctions sold: 38.62% of the time, so you definatly want 1 day

I did extensive tracking of the Xbox 360. I sold several units on the after-market. Xbox 360s before release were selling for about 3 time value. A $400 system (just console) was selling in the $1200 neighborhood. Then at release time, the after-market prices dropped to around twice value. A $400 system was then selling in the $800-$900 range. From that point on there was a very steady predictable drop in price until Christmas. I was able to obtain a 360 right before Christmas which I was able to sell for $580 – about a $150 profit. (Yes, of course there were exceptions to this, but this was the basic pattern after watching thousands of units for sale).

AWESOME intel! You're a huge credit to the selling community. :applause:

@tvu123

What does this mean ?

Bold a 20.56%
When you setup an auction/BIN on eBay they give you several options that determine how the link of your listing will appear in a list of search results. Some listings will have regular font, bold font, one main picture or a picture that opens up the photo gallery, without entering the actual listing, when you scroll over it.

tvu123, thanks for the sound advice. I forgot about the selling limit. I was able to secure a few ps4/xb1 and will be selling them on ebay myself. Now, how to get Ebay to raise my selling $ limit

Thanks to everyone for there suggestion, lets keep this thread updated up and until launch, hopefully we all can get $2,000/ps4 and $1,500/xb1.

tvu123, thanks for the sound advice. I forgot about the selling limit. I was able to secure a few ps4/xb1 and will be selling them on ebay myself. Now, how to get Ebay to raise my selling $ limit

Thanks to everyone for there suggestion, lets keep this thread updated up and until launch, hopefully we all can get $2,000/ps4 and $1,500/xb1.
That$ what I am talking about !

I pre-ordered 3 PS4s total. I am hoping to pay for the one I want to keep plus games. I see the bold, with picture and buy it now seems to be the best option.

Do you think that the selling price on eBay for the first week of release will be around $800? I was just wondering.

My limit is $25k per month lol

My limit is $25k per month lol
Lewi, how did you get 25K limit, are you a "top rated" seller w/ thousands of feedback?. i have a few hundred positive feedbacks from selling but my limit is no where near yours.

Also, heads up to everyone, particularly mr. focus. I think it'll be a good idea to call your credit card company and inform them of several $500 charges that will hit your account on nov 15th.  Would definitely suck if the credit card company decide to decline the transaction due to fraudulent suspicion.  I know i'll be calling mine.  

bread's done
Back