The Official PS4 & XBOX ONE Ebay/Scalping Thread.

Lewi, how did you get 25K limit, are you a "top rated" seller w/ thousands of feedback?. i have a few hundred positive feedbacks from selling but my limit is no where near yours.
I have been on ebay since 2000, I have 600 positive feedback.

I called them, I had 500 transactions and $15k limit per month. I told them I need more, and they reviewed my account, then changed it to 350 transactions with $25k per month.

Also, heads up to everyone, particularly mr. focus. I think it'll be a good idea to call your credit card company and inform them of several $500 charges that will hit your account on nov 15th. Would definitely suck if the credit card company decide to decline the transaction due to fraudulent suspicion. I know i'll be calling mine.
Thanks for the tip! Forgot that my bank has a limit of $1000 used per day. I think it's about time I get a new bank. Any recommendations for a bank with the best features / good for deals?

Its not your bank but your card. you can try applying for different cards.

However, if you already have your pre-order placed on the card w/ 1K credit limit, do not change payment type.  This may create confusion with your retailer causing them to cancel the pre-sale. I recommend you call your credit card company and request for a credit increase.

Its not your bank but your card. you can try applying for different cards.

However, if you already have your pre-order placed on the card w/ 1K credit limit, do not change payment type. This may create confusion with your retailer causing them to cancel the pre-sale. I recommend you call your credit card company and request for a credit increase.
It's not a bank. Better word is institution. It's Money Network and the card was given to me when I got my first job. It's a basic debit card.

I do have 3 pre-orders on Amazon and would hate to lose any of them. I'll call and ask for an increase and hopefully I can do so. If not I'll just get 2 PS4's and cancel my Xbox One pre-order. I was never going to get an X1 but made sure to pre-order just in case.

Anyone who thinks they can make $40k in reseller markup on eBay is a fucking lunatic. And if you somehow pull it off...have fun with your taxes!
Yeah something that has been missed in this thread is that the IRS has started to require Paypal to register all eBay sellers to file 1099-K forms starting last year which is the equivalent of a business tax form. If you make $20,000 or are projected to make that much during the year, Paypal will release your sales info to the IRS without your consent. If you make a lot less than that you won't need to worry about it. For the average taxpayer, you will essentially have to pay 30% of your profits to the IRS or at the very least have it deducted from your usual tax return. So if you make a $100 profit, you will basically owe $30 to the IRS next year. Just keep that in mind in calculating the worth and hassle.

Filing the the tax forms itself is relatively painless using standard software like TurboTax. The issue is if the 30% loss is worth it or not. As a former auditor myself, I can tell you once you're caught up in reporting business income, you shouldn't be surprised if your city sends you a tax letter requiring you to file as an official business which can be about another $150 per year in registration fees. Also going forward you'll be expected to report all of your eBay profits. It looks mighty weird to reports thousands of dollars in profit in 2013 and then nothing the following year. There's always the risk you get audited at that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not even making $20,000 that will trigger the 1099-K. If you have $20,000 worth of payments come through your PayPal account (and yes that includes payments related to shipping) then your information will be released to the IRS and a 1099-K will be generated in your name.

That means if you have $20,000 worth of payments and your expenses were $18,000 you're still going to get a 1099-K generated and as far as the government is concerned it is your burden to show what was profit----if you don't they will try and tax you on all $20,000.

What you guys are leaving out, is that you have to ALSO receive 200+ separate payments, in addition to making 20k. If you meet both of those, it triggers paypal to report you. However, you can meet/exceed one and not the other, and be fine, to my understanding.

What you guys are leaving out, is that you have to ALSO receive 200+ separate payments, in addition to making 20k. If you meet both of those, it triggers paypal to report you. However, you can meet/exceed one and not the other, and be fine, to my understanding.
Edit 2: I think you're right

Also, heads up to everyone, particularly mr. focus. I think it'll be a good idea to call your credit card company and inform them of several $500 charges that will hit your account on nov 15th. Would definitely suck if the credit card company decide to decline the transaction due to fraudulent suspicion. I know i'll be calling mine.
This is GREAT advice for those buying consoles at multiple locations. For those that have pre-orders at Target, by purchasing reservation cards, you should call and talk with the store manger and employees in electronics to make them aware of customers potentially exploiting the system and reusing cards. The best course of action is recommending they punch a hole in the card once they redeem their pre-order.

Anyone who thinks they can make $40k in reseller markup on eBay is a fucking lunatic. And if you somehow pull it off...have fun with your taxes!
****ing lunatic? Allow me to re-introduce myself... I'm MrFocus.

I agree, $40k profit off 'next-gen' consoles would be a challenge on ONE eBay account. $40k divided by 4 eBay accounts will be manageable. Taxes? LOL... this isn't my first rodeo!

Yeah something that has been missed in this thread is that the IRS has started to require Paypal to register all eBay sellers to file 1099-K forms starting last year which is the equivalent of a business tax form. If you make $20,000 or are projected to make that much during the year, Paypal will release your sales info to the IRS without your consent. If you make a lot less than that you won't need to worry about it. For the average taxpayer, you will essentially have to pay 30% of your profits to the IRS or at the very least have it deducted from your usual tax return. So if you make a $100 profit, you will basically owe $30 to the IRS next year. Just keep that in mind in calculating the worth and hassle.

Filing the the tax forms itself is relatively painless using standard software like TurboTax. The issue is if the 30% loss is worth it or not. As a former auditor myself, I can tell you once you're caught up in reporting business income, you shouldn't be surprised if your city sends you a tax letter requiring you to file as an official business which can be about another $150 per year in registration fees. Also going forward you'll be expected to report all of your eBay profits. It looks mighty weird to reports thousands of dollars in profit in 2013 and then nothing the following year. There's always the risk you get audited at that point.
Excellent information for those setting up their eBay/PayPal accounts using their social security number. Anyone aiming at profits above $10,000 a year on eBay/PayPal I'd recommend setting up a corporation. America isn't a country... it's a business. GET ONE!!!

Yes good point. To further touch on that subject though, I would expect Paypal to require you to provide your social security number or tax ID in the end. With PayPal analytics, I highly doubt they wouldn't place a hold on your account if you were to sell a few thousand worth of PS4's without providing a social security number. I personally think it's safe as i've mentioned I've reported my SSN already last year. But to others that are not comfortable with providing their SSN, should be aware.

Yes good point. To further touch on that subject though, I would expect Paypal to require you to provide your social security number or tax ID in the end. With PayPal analytics, I highly doubt they wouldn't place a hold on your account if you were to sell a few thousand worth of PS4's without providing a social security number. I personally think it's safe as i've mentioned I've reported my SSN already last year. But to others that are not comfortable with providing their SSN, should be aware.
They have been asking for mine for years, I never give it, because I have never gone over the threshold.

Okay, just for clarification's sake, for those that plan on only reselling one or two consoles meaning maybe $4000 or so profit at the most none of the aforementioned applies, correct? Or am I missing something else? 

mr focus needs to remember we are all a community stop being a ahole to other CAG's plz mr newbie.
Your comment is part of the problem not the solution. Funny how you over looked the user that just called me a "****ing lunatic" but that's just one of many insults from your beloved "community". If you're addressing me in hopes of finding empathy I assure you that you're wasting your time.

Okay, just for clarification's sake, for those that plan on only reselling one or two consoles meaning maybe $4000 or so profit at the most none of the aforementioned applies, correct? Or am I missing something else?
Correct although you should listen to Donut2922... surrender your social security number to avoid prolonged account freezes.

I already sold one of my preorders for $700. After shipping at fees, its $600, so $200 profit. 14 more to sell.

I personally don't have a TON of confidence on the price skyrocketing on these. People will flood ebay on day 1.

Those Target presale cards are so stupid. Someone could just steal it, then come in and get a PS4. They don't require you to bring a receipt for the preorder card. If I wasn't an honest person, I would have stolen the 6 preorder cards I have from Target...

Those Target presale cards are so stupid. Someone could just steal it, then come in and get a PS4. They don't require you to bring a receipt for the preorder card. If I wasn't an honest person, I would have stolen the 6 preorder cards I have from Target...
LOL

Anyone who have intentions of buying the PS4 from Target should rightfully purchase the reservation card. Otherwise that particular Target will set the unreserved consoles on the shelf. That would be egregious!

Realistically, what do you guys think will be the demand for XB1, considering gamestop and BBY has offer a second round of pre-orders.

Will it be sold out on nov 22nd? WIll there be demands on the after market?

I'm kinda sure that PS3 will be going for $800 minimum on ebay the week of release.  Not entire sure about XB1. 

Whats your pov.

Just sold another PS4 to someone in the UK. Went directly thru paypal to skip the ebay fees. $884 shipped, will make $300 profit after shipping and fees. (He paid for express shipping, over $100)

Realistically, what do you guys think will be the demand for XB1, considering gamestop and BBY has offer a second round of pre-orders.

Will it be sold out on nov 22nd? WIll there be demands on the after market?

I'm kinda sure that PS3 will be going for $800 minimum on ebay the week of release. Not entire sure about XB1.

Whats your pov.
I'm doubtful. XB1 has only one thing going for it and that's the limited commemorative "Day One 2013" version.

Just sold another PS4 to someone in the UK. Went directly thru paypal to skip the ebay fees. $884 shipped, will make $300 profit after shipping and fees. (He paid for express shipping, over $100)
HOO-AH!!! 13 more to go... $500 in one day!

Congrats dude. That's a free PS4 for you now. I only have a few ps4 to sell so i'm going to wait to gauge the supply and demand value before listing.  

It wouldn't hurt to list for 1000 to see if anyone will buy. Keep us posted.

When do you guys think the best day to sell is? I couldn't find any eBay charts for the PS3 / 360 / Wii, PS2 / Xbox / Gamecube era sales during launch but I assume putting it on sale 3 days before launch and ending 5PM launch day is a good day for all of them. A one day auction starting Black Friday at 5PM - 8PM would be good too. Also anytime 2 weeks before Christmas with 1 day shipping would be great as well assuming people can't find them.

Wondering, what day are you guys listing your consoles.

Look at the previous page for my post- it has my analysis on the console selling value throughout the holiday season. Highest selling point is usually day before the launch.

I'm doubtful. XB1 has only one thing going for it and that's the limited commemorative "Day One 2013" version.
it's possible xb1 goes to close if not more then ps4 but the profit will be smaller thanks to the extra 100 dollers per system. day one stamp will help them sell decent also. this past week when gamestop open xbox one for a day of pre orders my 3 gamestops had 4 systems each for pre order and those were gone within 1 hour of open and had to turn away close to 100 people for all 3 stores (one of my good friends is manager at gamestop)

thanks to ms going 360 on almost everything bad about system other then the price people went crazy for system. im already seeing xbox one ads on tv mostly during causal stuff like network tv shows and nfl football. Where as the ps4 all the ads thye have out now just says playstation no talk about ps4.

You can still preorder Day 1 XBone right now on bestbuy...
what does that have to do with anything with gamestop doing it for one day now best buy only means ms is doing anything they can to have supply for pre orders whats not to say sony is doing same thing for ps4? with ps4 pre orders ending so soon it pretty much means we will at least have some systems at stores like walmart on launch day for non preorders and no way in heck these things are not on the shelf for black friday. in all honsesty i think 700 bucks for ps4 is about the avg price you will get till launch day then it will go down. unlike ps3/360 launch when the economy was not bad like it is today and only getting worse people can't spend k's on a video game system why would they when they still have ps3/360 with games coming out for those systems.

pre orders does not = sales. i think we will see alot of these millions of ps4 pre orders become unfilled or cancelled orders same with xbox one.

Lol at all this "I really don't think its going to be high demand like the PS3, PS2, or PS1 blah blah blah....

Its the first and probably only decent console of this gen. You have a Wii U with an old Texas Instruments calculator for a processor, not to mention no Zelda, 3D Mario, or Smash Bro's even a year after release.

Then you have the under powered over priced, greed machine, spy bot called the Xbox One.

Then you have the PS4. Aggressively priced, High Powered (Don't care about your PC, sorry), cut to the chase gaming machine. No tricks. No gimmicks. Accounting for inflation it is less expensive than the PS2 and PS3. Pre Orders are basically becoming an epidemic. Friends who still don't even know what a Wii U is are begging me to toss them a pre order. There having PS4 give aways on my local radio stations. And you better believe once the marketing campaign kicks into overdrive, thing will get worse aka better for us.

If anything, its hard to think that this launch will be anything but chaos. Because so far, every card Sony has brought to the table was an ace. its safe to say Sonys situation couldn't really be any better. MrFocus said it best. "Come to the dark side and watch your purses fill with coin!"

On a side note. Is anyone considering abandoning Fleebay in pursuit of reselling on Craigslist, because im seriously debating it. The only real down fall I can see to Craigslist is lower profit margins. Which may be out weighed by the absence of fees, shipment charges, and issues with Paypal. As a successful ebayer over the years, my account does not have the history to warrant multiple PS4 sales without a inevitable freeze, and im talking a full 180 freeze, not a 21 day freeze. It happened to me before and I can happen again. A second freeze is all too common in the Paypal community. Perhaps i'll sell 1 or 2 on Ebay and the rest on Craigslist. (Reminisces of a time where Money Orders were an accepted method of Payment)

- IMPORTANT -

- Please Read -

Forgot to mention. Most online Merchant account allow funds from ebay sales to be deposited directly into your bank account in just two days. Meaning, you don't even have to ship the item until you have the cash in hand. Unfortunately I have limited knowledge on ebay selling via merchant account, neither do I remember which ones it was that ebay allows. Perhaps someone can chime in? This could be a huge asset and safety net to us all.

I think CL should be fine if you live in a major metropolis. The downsides are, of course, things like getting robbed and fake currency. Getting robbed should be mitigated by meeting in a busy location during daylight. Being in a heavily populated area helps with this of course. From what I have read, incidents involving counterfeit inside of US are very few and far between. Most counterfeiting happens outside of the US. Currency pens are not officially endorsed by the government btw. The official recommendation is to trust the built in security features like water mark etc. Also, if you have a lot of units to sell then CL might not suffice for your purpose either.

I have two preorders. I will definitely sell one. Might sell both if the prices are sky rocketing. I also live in a major city in the south-east. I have never sold anything on eBay. Don't even have an account. Hence CL is the only choice.

However, all these stories of people selling their pre-orders on eBay are making me feel like having a go at it. What do you guys think about someone opening a brand new account on eBay this month just to sell one or two PS4's?

On a side note. Is anyone considering abandoning Fleebay in pursuit of reselling on Craigslist, because im seriously debating it. The only real down fall I can see to Craigslist is lower profit margins. Which may be out weighed by the absence of fees, shipment charges, and issues with Paypal. As a successful ebayer over the years, my account does not have the history to warrant multiple PS4 sales without a inevitable freeze, and im talking a full 180 freeze, not a 21 day freeze. It happened to me before and I can happen again. A second freeze is all too common in the Paypal community. Perhaps i'll sell 1 or 2 on Ebay and the rest on Craigslist. (Reminisces of a time where Money Orders were an accepted method of Payment)

I think CL should be fine if you live in a major metropolis. The downsides are, of course, things like getting robbed and fake currency. Getting robbed should be mitigated by meeting in a busy location during daylight. Being in a heavily populated area helps with this of course. From what I have read, incidents involving counterfeit inside of US are very few and far between. Most counterfeiting happens outside of the US. Currency pens are not officially endorsed by the government btw. The official recommendation is to trust the built in security features like water mark etc. Also, if you have a lot of units to sell then CL might not suffice for your purpose either.

I have two preorders. I will definitely sell one. Might sell both if the prices are sky rocketing. I also live in a major city in the south-east. I have never sold anything on eBay. Don't even have an account. Hence CL is the only choice.

However, all these stories of people selling their pre-orders on eBay are making me feel like having a go at it. What do you guys think about someone opening a brand new account on eBay this month just to sell one or two PS4's?
i would never buy a system like ps4 from someone with a new account lol i don't even buy cheap electronic cords from people that don't have very high raiting. And i agree with the cl thing i would NEVER sell a thing like ps4/x1 on cl i don't care if we would meet in public place or not i just don't trust people in this day and age with that stuff.

might i add i talked to a fried that is manager at gamestop last night and he told me looks like gamestop might be making a rule for ps4 one per household and within the next week will be open up ps4 pre orders again either they are using those extras for that or sony is producing more systems.

I did extensive tracking of the Xbox 360. I sold several units on the after-market. Xbox 360s before release were selling for about 3 time value. A $400 system (just console) was selling in the $1200 neighborhood. Then at release time, the after-market prices dropped to around twice value. A $400 system was then selling in the $800-$900 range. From that point on there was a very steady predictable drop in price until Christmas. I was able to obtain a 360 right before Christmas which I was able to sell for $580 – about a $150 profit. (Yes, of course there were exceptions to this, but this was the basic pattern after watching thousands of units for sale).
It cost me $1k to get a 360 w/4 games on EBay on New Years Eve 05.

I have someone offering to send me a check, they stopped using paypal. Anyone see a risk in this, since the check would have 20+ days to clear?

But it has a month to clear right?
Apparently you like risk. You already accepted payment through PayPal outside eBay which means if that buyer files an unauthorized use chargeback you have no seller protection. So why not take more risk?

Edit: ^ That only applies on international transactions (his buyer was in the UK)

Once the PS4 and Xbox One was announced I preordered them on Amazon. Placed the order on June 10th, the minute they were online. I actually planned on getting them both and never scalped anything before, but college happened and I really need to pass my classes this semester. Seeing as you guys are experts at this sort of thing, I have a question or two. Now that you can list preorders on eBay for sale, do you think making a listing now is the best idea, or should I wait until it gets closer to release date?

Apparently you like risk. You already accepted payment through PayPal outside eBay which means if that buyer files an unauthorized use chargeback you have no seller protection. So why not take more risk?

Edit: ^ That only applies on international transactions (his buyer was in the UK)
My UK order was canceled, he found it cheaper somewhere else.

If it is more risk, explain to me how, since it has 30 days to clear. Don't just say its more risk, with no explanation. I never accept checks, but this is a month out, so I see hardly any risk since the check with either clear or bounce.

My UK order was canceled, he found it cheaper somewhere else.

If it is more risk, explain to me how, since it has 30 days to clear. Don't just say its more risk, with no explanation. I never accept checks, but this is a month out, so I see hardly any risk since the check with either clear or bounce.
or your bank see that it's a fake check and start thinking you are trying to cash a fake or stolen check. alot of banks in stuff like that will make the person trying ot cash the check responsible for that money.

@Lewis

Actually check is the safest way to accept money provided its a cashiers check and not a personal check. Simply because you can cash the cashiers check and have the money in your hand before you ship the item

@Ernie

Now is probably the worst time to list a ps4/xbone.

Through my intense analysis of xbox 360 and ps3 sales. I can guarantee you the best time to sell is 3 days prior to launch, launch day itself, and the next day after launch. Thats when ebay becomes a frenzy like a bunch of Lions fighting over the Gazelle, It was during this time the PS3 averaged 3x its MSRP on Ebay. After that, believe it or not, it tapers down all the way to christmas. Close to Christmas contrary to the popular belief, is a horrible time to sell. At that point you have missed the train. Its not advisable to pass on this information beyond this forum, as the belief to wait till christmas will yield us less competition and larger profits during the said frenzy. Keep this info to yourself. The more people selling on launch day, the less profit. People waiting until Christmas to unload units is a good thing for us

@Ernie

Now is probably the worst time to list a ps4/xbone.

Through my intense analysis of xbox 360 and ps3 sales. I can guarantee you the best time to sell is 3 days prior to launch, launch day itself, and the next day after launch. Thats when ebay becomes like a cage of Lions fighting over the Gazelle. After that, believe it or not, it tapers down all the way to christmas. Close to Christmas contrary to the popular belief, is a horrible time to sell. At that point you have missed the train.
Great, thanks for the information and thoughtful analysis. I'll be sure to heed your advice and hold off listing them now.

bread's done
Back