The Official PS4 & XBOX ONE Ebay/Scalping Thread.

I am a bit curious about who these people are who are actually willing to pay such a huge markup for something that will probably be back in stock in a few weeks time.

I always thought that the majority are the clueless rich dads and moms who can't bear to have their little Timmy go without the new toy he is craving. But that would mean that the best profit margins would come around Christmas time. But then most people seem to opine that the best time to sell is few days before and after launch window.

So who are the main customers/demographic who fall for scalping?

New commercial launch during last nights football game. Their marketing is ON POINT! The put the Wii U's ad campaign to shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0d9d-cdxhk

Just sold another on 1 day auction, $700 shipped and the buyer just paid. Boggles my mind that auctions end higher than a buy it now price. 

@Lewi

Please keep us informed on how long it takes you to get your money from your paypal to your bank account or in hand. This is where the risk comes in

Just sold another on 1 day auction, $700 shipped and the buyer just paid. Boggles my mind that auctions end higher than a buy it now price.
Bidding allows the 'potential buyer' a chance to connect with said item. Once the connection is made it's actually the 'fear of loss' that drives the price above BIN listings.

I have someone offering to send me a check, they stopped using paypal. Anyone see a risk in this, since the check would have 20+ days to clear?
There's zero risk if you're holding onto the 'sold item' until the funds OFFICIALLY clear.

@Lewis

Actually check is the safest way to accept money provided its a cashiers check and not a personal check. Simply because you can cash the cashiers check and have the money in your hand before you ship the item
I agree with BigJoe... official checks are your safest option. Personal checks and money orders can be easily manipulated and/or forged. If you are receiving checks or money orders; I recommend contacting the bank or company that is facilitating the payment. For international transactions I suggest notifying your buyer that your bank has to officially clear the check before you ship said item of which can take up to 2-3 weeks.

Be aware of counterfeit money orders. A family member of mine sold something on CL for $1,000. Met the buyer in-person whom which gave him $100 cash and a $900 money order. Hours later my cousin learned that the money order was fake, as he was trying to deposit it, from a bank teller . :whee:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Lewi

Please keep us informed on how long it takes you to get your money from your paypal to your bank account or in hand. This is where the risk comes in
Both units I sold yesterday, I immediately transferred the $ to my bank. Takes a couple days to post though, but it went thru smooth.

I wonder what the delay for Watch Dogs will do to next gen fervor. Certainly on the Polygon thread about it there are a lot of people cancelling their preorders as a result. Plus, some of you might have gotten the Watch Dogs bundles from Amazon - will be interesting to see how they handle those now.

Edit: It seems Amazon will ship the PS4 on launch and then keep the game as a preorder that will ship (and charge) later. So you can always just cancel that part after the PS4 ships - no big deal then.

hello, i can attest sometimes its better to sell before it goes live. Anyone remember mass effect 3 collector's edition last year? 

it was going for $130 to $150 on ebay the week before it went live. After the reviews came in the price sank! 

I am going to sell my ps4s leading up to the release date with buy it now or 1 day bids.

hey guys, seems like lowest price on ebay for buy it now is $625.00 free shipping, then followed by $680.00

it will be interesting to see what will happen this week. 

Listed my ps4 for $650, considering I was gonna get both at launch, I can lose some profits by listing early.  Getting half of my Xbox One paid for by simply pre-ordering both early seems good enough to me.

officialy i don't think we're allowed to list ps4s until 30 days before launch. So I think on the 16th or 17th. ebay is taking ads now i noticed.

Listed my ps4 for $650, considering I was gonna get both at launch, I can lose some profits by listing early. Getting half of my Xbox One paid for by simply pre-ordering both early seems good enough to me.
I agree. I want to list my ps4 and xbox one preorder from Amazon early enough so that Amazon can ship it to the buyer directly. Plus I want to list it early enough to get the funds cleared into my bank account before it gets shipped. I think I might list the ps4 around the first week of November.

I agree. I want to list my ps4 and xbox one preorder from Amazon early enough so that Amazon can ship it to the buyer directly. Plus I want to list it early enough to get the funds cleared into my bank account before it gets shipped. I think I might list the ps4 around the first week of November.
You don't find it VERY risky to ship directly from AMZ to the buyer? I would never do that...

You don't find it VERY risky to ship directly from AMZ to the buyer? I would never do that...
Really? It seems like a lot of sellers are doing that now on eBay. I figure the risk is low since by the time the console ships you should have your money. I never scalped a console before so if you guys think it's a bad idea then perhaps I should reconsider my plan.

not sure why people would just cancel pre order of the ps4/x1 just because watch dogs is delayed when the game is on current gen and pc why would you even buy a 400/500 doller system for one game that can be played on the current system you have just boggles my mind. 

what do you guys think would be good starting price for x1? i got in on the gamestop pre orders last week just in case best buy is idiots and sells my pre order before i pick it up so i might see what i cna get from my best buy one.

Really? It seems like a lot of sellers are doing that now on eBay. I figure the risk is low since by the time the console ships you should have your money. I never scalped a console before so if you guys think it's a bad idea then perhaps I should reconsider my plan.

this is a horrible idea... the buyer just needs to tell amazon he did not receive the item. then what??? i'd rather have amazon ship me the item, then i ship it with signuatre confirmation.

this is a horrible idea... the buyer just needs to tell amazon he did not receive the item. then what??? i'd rather have amazon ship me the item, then i ship it with signuatre confirmation.
Whenever I buy anything from amazon I need to sign for delivery. I'm pretty sure the buyer would have to sign for it in this case.

Whenever I buy anything from amazon I need to sign for delivery. I'm pretty sure the buyer would have to sign for it in this case.
Nothing I buy from AMZ ever gets a signature required. And if there is no signature, you aren't covered by Paypal.

@Lewi

Did you sell via Paypal?

Whats your ebay history like?

How did you get paypal to deposit payment it into your account immediately?

Did you submit your SSN to Paypal?

How did paypal deposit money into your account for ps4 pre order if you haven't shipped yet? Technically you could just keep the money now that its out of paypals hands?

Not to bombarde you with questions but im just trying to see how Paypal runs things now days. Perhaps they have improved. All questions are from a hypothetical point of view. Not saying that you would ever keep the money and not send the item. Please share 

@Lewi

Did you sell via Paypal?

How did paypal deposit money into your account for ps4 pre order if you haven't shipped yet? Technically you could just keep the money now that its out of paypals hands?

Not to bombarde you with questions but im just trying to see how Paypal runs things now days. Perhaps they have improved. All questions are from a hypothetical point of view. Not saying that you would ever keep the money and not send the item. Please share
i'm signed up with paypal as a seller. I pay 39.99 a month and they provide credit card processing for me also. i don't see why you guys are so scared to give paypal your ssn. does it really mattter if they have it or not? lol.

every credit card cmopany has your ssn. if you use paypal, your bank account should be linked and you can withdraw directly to your account.

@pottspepper466

there are three reasons why a signature would be required:

1. The shipper requested it, and paid for it. Amazon never does this because at the volume they ship, it's less expensive to self-insure. Thrid-party sellers who are shipping everything they've got to sell in one box to one person are less likely to take the risk of loss.

2. It may be required by law. Certain comodities like wine require not just an in-person signature, but an in-person adult signature. (BTW... The shipper in these cases must be a licensed shipper. You or I couldn't just go down to UPS and ship a bottle of wine to Cousin Fred even if we pay for the adult signature release.)

3. Even when no signature is required, it's up to the driver's judgement whether or not to leave a package. The place they leave it has to be reasonably secure. They also tend to not just leave Air parcels more than Ground parcels, the thought being that there's likely to be something more worth steeling, and perhaps less replacable in an air shipment than a ground shipment.

If the shipper has not required a signature, and the driver's judgement is to not leave the package, you can usually sign the slip, leave it where the driver left it, and include instructions on where to safely leave the package.

You can also call the phone number on the package, and leave instructions and/or an alternate delivery address.

@pottspepper466

there are three reasons why a signature would be required:

1. The shipper requested it, and paid for it. Amazon never does this because at the volume they ship, it's less expensive to self-insure. Thrid-party sellers who are shipping everything they've got to sell in one box to one person are less likely to take the risk of loss.

2. It may be required by law. Certain comodities like wine require not just an in-person signature, but an in-person adult signature. (BTW... The shipper in these cases must be a licensed shipper. You or I couldn't just go down to UPS and ship a bottle of wine to Cousin Fred even if we pay for the adult signature release.)

3. Even when no signature is required, it's up to the driver's judgement whether or not to leave a package. The place they leave it has to be reasonably secure. They also tend to not just leave Air parcels more than Ground parcels, the thought being that there's likely to be something more worth steeling, and perhaps less replacable in an air shipment than a ground shipment.

If the shipper has not required a signature, and the driver's judgement is to not leave the package, you can usually sign the slip, leave it where the driver left it, and include instructions on where to safely leave the package.

You can also call the phone number on the package, and leave instructions and/or an alternate delivery address.

amazon does require signature "at times." for example when i bought my gtx 680 video cards, i had to sign.

@Lewi

Did you sell via Paypal?

Sold on paypal

12 years ebay history

Money was an instant transfer, then I transfer to my bank immediately

No I did not give my SSN

If the buyer files a claim, your account goes negative and you will have to settle up with Paypal

Sold on paypal

12 years ebay history

Money was an instant transfer, then I transfer to my bank immediately

No I did not give my SSN

If the buyer files a claim, your account goes negative and you will have to settle up with Paypal
My current account had like 50ish Positive feedback. 5 Years selling history. Wonder if thats good enough. Do ou have any special account or paypal business account or anything like that? Or just a standard verified Paypal account? So the 21 day standard hold goes away with higher seller status?

Just to add what tvu123 was saying, if you live in a residential building or shipping to a business, UPS requires signature delivery on all packages. Also there are some areas where all packages shipped via UPS require a signature. When I lived in a house, the carrier would often just put the box next to the front door, ring the bell and be off. Now that I live in an apartment, I have had to sign for every package from UPS.

I have never done it before but I think it is possible to add signature confirmation with fedex or ups, whichever carrier Amazon uses if you contact the carrier after the package has shipped. I'm sure you'll have to pay a small fee though.

There is no guarantee that UPS/Amazon would get a signature from your buyer as they are under no obligation to require one. You however as the seller are under an obligation to get one. You also can't insure the shipment to your buyer either if Amazon is the one shipping it.

Not a bad idea for a sale valued at under $250. Not a very good one for something valued over  $250.

safe bet is to get the console in hand and ship with your comfort preference criteria.  I won't be selling any of my pre-order via dropship, way too much unforeseen risk.

Seems like the auction prices have declined some. With just over 500 listings, seems as if most people are waiting for launch or closer to. Going to get interesting.

I would not put auctions up yet till at least week of system release when then ps4/x1 is all over the place which is when hype will be the highest. We still have couple big retailers that has yet to do preorders which should happen in a week or two like dell is doing preorders for both soon and stores like kmart I'm sure will start soon.

I've been thinking about how to get around the selling limits on Ebay. Right now my limit is 100 items / $5,000. Do you think there will be a problem if I just list 30 consoles three days before launch for a starting price of 99 cents each? My thinking is that Ebay will know the final price once the auctions are over. Once they do I will hit my limit and my future postings will only be affected but all my consoles are already bought by then. LOL

I've been thinking about how to get around the selling limits on Ebay. Right now my limit is 100 items / $5,000. Do you think there will be a problem if I just list 30 consoles three days before launch for a starting price of 99 cents each? My thinking is that Ebay will know the final price once the auctions are over. Once they do I will hit my limit and my future postings will only be affected but all my consoles are already bought by then. LOL
I think once you list your limit of items, it will cap you. Unless you listed all 30 in a fixed price listing, which would not sell unless you had a great price.

I've been thinking about how to get around the selling limits on Ebay. Right now my limit is 100 items / $5,000. Do you think there will be a problem if I just list 30 consoles three days before launch for a starting price of 99 cents each? My thinking is that Ebay will know the final price once the auctions are over. Once they do I will hit my limit and my future postings will only be affected but all my consoles are already bought by then. LOL

don't forget you can sell on amazon sellers also. most times you can get a better price on amazon

I think once you list your limit of items, it will cap you. Unless you listed all 30 in a fixed price listing, which would not sell unless you had a great price.
My selling limit will reset for next so I plan to only sell 30 items. My concern is the $5,000 limit because I will obviously make more than that. How could they cap me once the 30 auctions are done? They could only cap my future listings right?

don't forget you can sell on amazon sellers also. most times you can get a better price on amazon
I plan to do that too but don't forget amazon sellers are required to refund purchases up to 30 days. I would not like it if buyers remorse kicks in and they return it because they found a cheaper price weeks later. Ebay auctions gives me the ability to state and honor NO RETURNS.

My selling limit will reset for next so I plan to only sell 30 items. My concern is the $5,000 limit because I will obviously make more than that. How could they cap me once the 30 auctions are done? They could only cap my future listings right?
Ebay limits the amount of consoles you can sell, I think its around 5, then 1 per week I heard. Depends on the seller and feedback I recall.

Can someone tell me when can we officially list the PlayStation 4 & Xbox One on eBay. I don't want to get my listings removed by posting early.

I cashed in a personal check a few times since my buyers didn't want to use PayPal. Was fine with me since I avoided Paypal fees. I could have screwed the buyer and not even sent anything if I wanted to. I was surprised more than anything that the buyer was willing to send me a check with no eBay protection. Of course I still sent the items.

Sold another, and my auction is ending higher than my other listing buy it now.

ebayers are sheep, don't know how to find a deal...

bread's done
Back