The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='kojubat']Probably why they want to trade it in?

In any case, I was calling one anyway, and they quoted me $35 for :360: Hour of Victory.

Also, the :360: Godfather game is supposedly $25. That is the second store to quote that price, but it seems pretty high to me. It's on the clearance schedule at Target. I will likely try to trade it in this weekend to confirm.[/QUOTE]

YES! The answer I was hoping for!!! They dropped the price to $25 at Gamestop (used), so if it wasn't for Gamerush's reasonable trade-in prices it would be going back to them... And even better, Gamerush is closer!:bouncy:

If anyone is planning to overcome the inherent embaressment and flip this title, you should do so before GR updates their prices - the $19.99 price of the title on Amazon might be indicitive of a universal price drop.

Where are you getting your copies of Hour of Victory? I could buy them on Amazon for $20 new but I don't know if they would arrive before Tuesday. Are you saying that I could buy them used at GS for $25 instead?

Or are there cheaper places to get these used ^_-

[quote name='nlyonssmith']Where are you getting your copies of Hour of Victory? I could buy them on Amazon for $20 new but I don't know if they would arrive before Tuesday. Are you saying that I could buy them used at GS for $25 instead?

Or are there cheaper places to get these used ^_-[/QUOTE]

Yes, Hour of Victory is $25 used at gamestop (22.50 with edge card). I assume anyone who ever owned the game will eventually trade it somewhere, so there's a good chance your local store may have them. I'm only speculating that Gamerush may lower the trade-in price soon- but they have been known to maintain trade-in prices despite a game dropping in price in most other stores.

Off to go trade it in now......

[quote name='kojubat']Also, the :360: Godfather game is supposedly $25. That is the second store to quote that price, but it seems pretty high to me. It's on the clearance schedule at Target. I will likely try to trade it in this weekend to confirm.[/QUOTE]
So I had a chance to go tonight, and as I suspected, that quote was wrong. Godfather for the 360 gets $15, not $25.

Also confirmed the following as of tonight:
:360: Open Season - $19
:360: Perfect Dark Zero - $8
:ps3: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer - $16

I got all of these prices quoted on Thursday 10/18:

Wii
Prince Persia $16
Red Steel $16
Sonic $16
Super Monkeyball $16
Happy Feet $26
Ice Age 2 $26

PS3
Need for Speed Carbon $30
Resistence of Man $33

[quote name='kojubat']So I had a chance to go tonight, and as I suspected, that quote was wrong. Godfather for the 360 gets $15, not $25.

Also confirmed the following as of tonight:
:360: Perfect Dark Zero - $8
:ps3: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer - $16[/quote]

Was really hoping Godfather was actually 25 as I'm hoping to flip some games for Cod4 and there's a bunch around. CoD2, Outfit and XBLA unplugged should drop to 5 and Call of Juarez and Homecourt should drop to 15 and Tomb Raider and Bionicle should drop to 7.50 @ Target assuming copies can still be found when they hit 75% off. If CoD2 is actually 15 as the wiki states then 5 to 15 is great considering everybody already has it and it might hang around until it hits 5.

Traded in Wii Marvel Ultimate Alliance for $26 today (10.20). Also flipped 2x Wartech and 1x Hour of Victory. I needed credit for GH III on 10.28.

[quote name='nlyonssmith']Traded in Wii Marvel Ultimate Alliance for $26 today (10.20). Also flipped 2x Wartech and 1x Hour of Victory. I needed credit for GH III on 10.28.[/quote]

What are Wartech and Hour of Victory fetching? Thanks.

[quote name='edavis0780']What are Wartech and Hour of Victory fetching? Thanks.[/quote]

Hour of Victory costs $25 used at GS, trades in for $35 at GRush
Wartech costs $10 new (they haven't updated a used price for it yet) at GS, trades in for $15 at GRush

[quote name='edavis0780']What are Wartech and Hour of Victory fetching? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Next time please see what was posted since last time you came to the thread. The answer was just a few posts before your question.

[quote name='djkunai']Next time please see what was posted since last time you came to the thread. The answer was just a few posts before your question.[/quote]

That's fine, but why wasn't this put into the wiki yet? I usually check the wiki first before asking questions, and sorry for not seeing your earlier post.

[quote name='edavis0780']That's fine, but why wasn't this put into the wiki yet? I usually check the wiki first before asking questions, and sorry for not seeing your earlier post.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, yeah, I just got around to it. I put in all the prices through this post. Sorry, been busy with the Kmart thread ;).

And remember, I'm still inviting anyone with coupon-related issues to create a new thread in Deal Discussion and I will link to it from here.

I know we are not supposed to reference the thing that happened last week, but has anyone traded games in and put them on the SAME Value Card that you bought the games with said "deal"

Im looking to trade some games in, just wanted to make sure nothing "weird" will happen.

I will report back with trade values of course after this evening.

[quote name='doubledown']I know we are not supposed to reference the thing that happened last week, but has anyone traded games in and put them on the SAME Value Card that you bought the games with said "deal"

Im looking to trade some games in, just wanted to make sure nothing "weird" will happen.

I will report back with trade values of course after this evening.[/quote]

You'll be fine. BB computers aren't supercomputers.

[quote name='Warner1281']You'll be fine. BB computers aren't supercomputers.[/QUOTE]

I was just curious if the Gift Card I used would've been flagged. I may get another card though, as I may spread the credit on two....$175ish on each.

[quote name='doubledown']I was just curious if the Gift Card I used would've been flagged. I may get another card though, as I may spread the credit on two....$175ish on each.[/quote]

The only caveat would be to buy and sell them back to the same store within a short time period. They can view your trade history and like they did in my case decide your flipping for profit. Of course I'm not aware of any buy/sell scenarios at BB that would actually net you a profit. (Not like to good old days of trade 3 get 1 game for 5$)

As far as I know the trading history is not even linked between stores. I just wouldn't worry about it.

Anything decent for moving credit over to the evil empire. Tempted to pick up Ace Combat 6 with the hori flight stick and figure the chances are slim it will show up at GR...

[quote name='doubledown']I was just curious if the Gift Card I used would've been flagged. I may get another card though, as I may spread the credit on two....$175ish on each.[/QUOTE]

I'm already up to $1000 and I'm going in for another $300 or so today.

[quote name='djkunai']I'm already up to $1000 and I'm going in for another $300 or so today.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I know my Gift Card topped out at $500 last time I tried to use it....Do you put all your trades on a Gift Card?

Confirming/updating some wiki values with today's date (I know, it's Monday, but still):
:360: Chromehounds - $8 (new value)
:360: Hour of Victory - $35
:360: Just Cause - $12
:360: Phantasy Star Universe - $12

Resistance Fall of Man still get's $33? That's pretty good. I've gotten my fill of it since launch so I think I'll trade. What's sad is that it's been my only PS3 game since the beginning. That says alot about the state of PS3 games over the last year. Hopefully this holiday season will bring better games out. Looking forward to R&C and Rock Band.

Think this was mentioned in another thread, but The Darkness also gets $35 at GR. Not too shabby if you buy 2 copies at EB for around $40 (with B1G1 50 percent coupon) and then flip for $70 credit.

In my area, Hour of Victory was difficult to find at EB used while there were tons of The Darkness. Guess everyone heard how horrible HoV was and never bought it new.

Latest Trade prices All 360

Surfs up 15$
Bionicles Heroes 15$
Hour of Victory 35$
Phantasy Star Universe 12$
Star Trek Legacy 12$
Just Cause 12$
LOTR BF2 12$

Thanks for the Darkness tip, I just bought it as the 2nd half oy my HOV purchase, that's a tasty profit.

[quote name='awp']Think this was mentioned in another thread, but The Darkness also gets $35 at GR. Not too shabby if you buy 2 copies at EB for around $40 (with B1G1 50 percent coupon) and then flip for $70 credit.

In my area, Hour of Victory was difficult to find at EB used while there were tons of The Darkness. Guess everyone heard how horrible HoV was and never bought it new.[/QUOTE]
Good to know. I was able to find an EB with two copies of HoV to use that coupon, but I was in at least two others that only had one.

Considering I've seen everything I've wanted to buy within release week at BB/GR lately, and my niece is going to have a Very Merry DS Christmas, I don't have a problem converting up the credit to be even closer to pennies on the dollar.

I'd really like to know if GR is going to get the Mass Effect limited edition. That whole "select retailers" is frakkin' annoying.

I guess I'll trade in my copy of the Darkness if I can pull in 35 bones for it, was holding on to it hoping they would fix multiplayer but that doesn't matter now with Halo 3 out and CoD4 on the horizon.

I tried to trade-in The darkness & GOW on Sunday & Monday. I get Rejected i bought them 5 for $25. Now i'll ask my little sis do it for me today in 50 mins. I'll PISS OFF if the trade-in price is drop today

My latest trades: (All traded in on MONDAY)

360 Games:
- The Darkness: $35
- Bioshock: $30
- Two Worlds: $35
- Forza 2: $35

PS3:
Ninja Gaiden: $36

Just called Hour of Victory and Darkness both still $35. :D

Flippers united! lol

If you have enough stores to flip at and can find enough games then think big.... If your store gives tax credit like mine then 5 sets of $39ish games turns into $370..... Half price PS3 anyone? OR just two sets get you a DS and a game for $78.

Lucky for me I have a assload of EB/Gamestop/GRs local. :D about to go try to get some bait before work....

[quote name='$hady']Lucky for me I have a assload of EB/Gamestop/GRs local. :D about to go try to get some bait before work....[/QUOTE]
If someone can figure out how to transfer money back to EB/GS without a loss, this would be an excellent week for trading. I'm in a similar donkeyburden situation. :cool:

[quote name='kojubat']If someone can figure out how to transfer money back to EB/GS without a loss, this would be an excellent week for trading. I'm in a similar donkeyburden situation. :cool:[/quote]
If anyone can figure that out then ALOT of people who frequent this thread would be happy. Mainly those who used the rape technique that we cant talk about! lol I've got like $120 left (after buying a Wii) from Kmart games and normal flipping (+3 unmentionable games) that i'd love to have at EB rather than GR even before I try even to flip these 2 new games....

HOPEFULLY they'll start getting 40gb PS3s when everyone else does those are nice ways to move your credit into cash with the holidays coming. I just want one for myself though since it's to much trouble to try to flip for great profits. ;)

Just so everyone knows, the policy at GameRush is that they can't accept more than 2 copies of the same game for trade in. However this is per store, so if you have more than one GameRush near by you can flip more.

Also, YMMV depending on if you get the manager or the new girl.

I got lucky at one of my local Blockbusters. They mispriced four copies of Bioshock at $24.99 each (instead of $49.99). Had to get the manager to override the price in the register, but I snagged all four. Let's do the math...

3 copies of HOV: $16.24 x 3 = $48.72 @ EB/GS

Trade in 3 copies of HOV @ BB = 3 x $35 = $105

Buy 4 mispriced copies of Bioshock from BB using HOV credit = 4 x $24.99 = $99.96 in BB credit

Trade in 4 copies of Bioshock at EB/GS = 4 x $27 = $108

Buy 6 copies of The Darkness at EB/GS with Bioshock credit = 6 x $17.54 = $105.27

Trade in 6 copies of The Darkness at BB = 6 x $35 = $210

The only time I spent cash out of pocket was at the beginning, buying HOV at EB/GS. After that I was strictly using credit.

I turned $48.72 cash into $215 in BB credit, with a few bucks of leftover credit at EB/GS to boot. All because an employee mispriced Bioshock :) BTW, I checked around at a lot of other BB to find another mispriced copy to keep for myself...no luck.

Double confirm:

The Darkness - $35
Hour of Victory - $35

My store does the extra $5 for 3 or more games, that's $40 to my ears.

Here's a link to Hour of Victory for $20 (shipped free if you buy more than two, or have Amazon Prime).

Buy 2 for $40 and then flip both of them for $70 in credit- a 75% return in credit profit. If you do buy, you should receive them on Thursday, and the price won't drop until next Tuesday. Enjoy!

Hmm... tempted to go pick up a Darkness and Hour of Victory for a decent profit. Unfortunately most of my new releases are slated for EB/GS purchase due to bonuses. If BB got Battalion Wars and/or Fire Emblem in, that would make things more useful.

Only had time 2 hit the 4 closest EBs very 1st stop i found about 1000 copies of the Darkness and 1 HoV so I got 3 Dark and 1 HoV. Last 3 stores found nothing but piles of the Darkness...

Traded in my pile for $148.20 credit which cost me 73.52 cash. :D

Thanks for the link to the Hour Of Victory 2 new copies are only like $7.50 + tax more than 2 used though IF you can even find um in stock. Looking at my receipts they do it weird they give you the edge discount off the full price before they take the 50% off... so 50% copy ends up being 9.99 and full price 22.50. EDIT: Looks like estimated ship date is Oct 29th...

ALSO asked while I was trading and they already have the $500 Motorstorm 80gb PS3 bundles in stock. They had 3 of them for sale and the guy knew about and is expecting the $400 40gb Spiderman bundles as well. :D

Hmm, the HOV swap is tempting. I'm still not sure what I want with my $350 in credit at GameRush. I know some of you have a LOT more, but I still don't know what I want. I guess maybe just more games.

So the deal is to go in at GS/EB, buy as many HOV as you can, and trade in at Blockbuster for store credit? I only have that nearby, not GameRush, so will I still be lucky and make a ton of profit on the side? Thanks!

Calling it quits for now. I only have BB in my area; no GR (otherwise I'd probably rack up as much credit as possible). I'll probably save most my credit for new release games, used games, and see if I can convert the rest to EB/GS credit.

Have $530 in BB credit; paid under $200 cash for it.

I really want to get the PS3 version of Guitar hero, i'm down to $22 credit though.

$33-36 to $70 isnt too shabby. Thats almost GH3 right there. Store locator says that HoV & Darkness are well stocked. Does anyone know if the PS3 version of the Darkness works as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back