The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

I stopped by 4 Gamestops today. The first two didnt have any copies of HoV so i tried 2 Darkness'. They turned me down making some bullshit about 'no sellers' (i told them im stocking up for christmas gifts). They then said they could sell them to me, but not with the coupon. What a load of shit. If i was some hoity toity old hag they'd have no problem selling two of the same game to me, even with the coupon. I got the manager's name and i'll give corporate a call tomorrow (not really expecting to get anything out of it, but since i have long hair and havent shaved in 2 days, i could play the prejudice card).

Luckily the next two stores had both HoV & The Darkness. The manager at one of the stores is a cute nerdy redhead :drool: who put a new sticker on my Edge card since my old one was faded. So, at least the night had a good ending.

All the Blockbusters by me had GH3 in stock for all systems, unfortunately they were the game only versions.

To lazy to quote but answering a few questions:

Gamerush doesn't price match.....

Blockbuster DOES accept games for store credit, same price as GR stores.....

I preordered CoD4 a few weeks ago and they had both the regular and CE in the system....... Saw it listed as 11/9 on the coming soon board today.....

Mario Galaxy is also in the system I preordered it last week......

Jesus loves me, yes he does.....

Went to a regular BB tonight and traded Lego Bionicles and Star Trek Legacy that I just got at the nearby Kmart for $27 total (cost $10.71 to purchase). For some reason I thought Star Trek got more (only $12 - yes I checked the Wiki before leaving but for some reason marked it as 'worth it' when it really wasn't). I wouldn't have traded it if I knew that but once I handed it over I figured I might as well. I can get more ;). They said all Blockbusters today were having trouble with Value Cards and they couldn't get the credit on there, so it is sitting on my account, which I don't like one bit. I'll have to go back later and get it. They also said they don't have Value Cards any more and wouldn't be getting more.

This is the store that has a few new games and I did see Zelda Phantom Hourglass. Who knew? (I mean, I know other people here said they had it, but who knew they would have a DS game for sale ahead of time like that when they don't even rent them?). I really wish I knew in advance what games they were going to get for sale because I'd definitely pick some up there. In all the confusion with the Value Card I forgot to ask that. I did ask if the games are new/sealed because they have gutted displays on their tiny new game rack. They did say they were sealed so that's nice - score one over EB/GS/GC on that account ;). Now I'm thinking maybe they'll have Mass Effect or the Simpson's game. They said they don't sell much there but they were able to sell out their Halo 3s. They also had Spiderman Friend or Foe for 360 and PS2. Go figure :roll:. I'll add all these to the OP.

I went to 2 GR+BBV tonight and both had signs up saying that they their credit/debit card systems were down and they could only accept cash. I wonder if it's related to your BBV Value Card problem? I was able to get the credit onto my VC though, and it went through around 8PM ET tonight, but this was at BBVs connected to GRs.

I haven't been to GR since I transferred all my credit to GC, but the 360 trade-in values were too good to pass up. :lol:

I saw that they had opened, "new" games, but thankfully they were just those display cases (like what TRU has). It's good to see that some BBVs have Zelda PH. I'll be looking to pick that up and some Wii games.

[quote name='parKer']I went to 2 GR+BBV tonight and both had signs up saying that they their credit/debit card systems were down and they could only accept cash. I wonder if it's related to your BBV Value Card problem? I was able to get the credit onto my VC though, and it went through around 8PM ET tonight, but this was at BBVs connected to GRs.
[/QUOTE]

They said they were having problems with both credit/debit and Value Cards. They said it either didn't work or took a long time. This was at 9:30 pm Pacific, but they said they had problems all day. I'm sure it is related though. I wanted them to try it again but they didn't want to... Oh well, I'll just have to swing back there again. If I plan on buying any new games there I can just leave the credit I suppose. But that always makes me nervous. I don't think they'd "adjust" my credit there like the old GR manager did one time (taking away $15 after I had signed off on the trades because one of his employees messed up), but, well, I'd just rather have it on the card. However, the cards seem to be acting flaky recently so I'm not so sure they are safe either. Last time I traded at my local store they couldn't deal with my card either and ended up giving me cash :lol:. But I was able to use the card in the mean time to buy something...

The debit/credit card system was down at my stores as well (SKYNET!). However they had no problems adding value onto my cards. But i'd guess since the value cards are ran the same way as the debit/credit cards, i can see why using them to purchase wouldnt work.

[quote name='io']Yes. Anything you see me talking about is at regular stores. There isn't a GR within 600 miles of me any more ;).

FxhoundADAM - that is dead wrong, most places anyway. I've traded at regular Blockbusters in VA, MD, AZ, and OR. I see that you are in OK though - I think most of the stores there are franchise if I remember correctly. They can do whatever they want.[/quote]Well in Tulsa that's how it works (I even have 2 sisters who work for Blockbuster who confirmed this for me). So probably YMMV depending on your area.

my blockbusters are acting stupid like i cant trade in games, and there giving me different prices for games and i thought this would run alot smoother. And there telling me i cant get a gift card that it credits to my account

I've got a question for those familiar with purchasing game stuff at BB/GR with value cards. I'm saving up credit via the HoV and The Darkness trade-ins and building up my value card, in the hope of ultimately getting a 360 (don't have one). So my question is, when purchasing things with the trade-in credit on a value card, are you still charged taxes? I know at Gamestop that you aren't charged tax if you pay with trade-in credit. And if it makes a difference, I'm talking corporate stores.

Anyone know if the following are still trading at these prices?

Amped 3 - $19 - 9/12/07
Moto GP 2006 - $35 - 6/29/06
Tony Hawk: American Wasteland - $35 - 7/1/06

If so, I will have to pick them up at the local KMART. :)

[quote name='mkernan']I've got a question for those familiar with purchasing game stuff at BB/GR with value cards. I'm saving up credit via the HoV and The Darkness trade-ins and building up my value card, in the hope of ultimately getting a 360 (don't have one). So my question is, when purchasing things with the trade-in credit on a value card, are you still charged taxes? I know at Gamestop that you aren't charged tax if you pay with trade-in credit. And if it makes a difference, I'm talking corporate stores.[/quote]I don't know how anyone could not charge you tax, regardless of how you are paying. But if this is true that's like 6-8% off the price which is pretty sweet.

[quote name='hotwls13']Anyone know if the following are still trading at these prices?

Amped 3 - $19 - 9/12/07

If so, I will have to pick them up at the local KMART. :)[/quote]

i'm gonna say 'no' on that last two. motogp is only $14.99 at BB, and AW is about the same

[quote name='mkernan']I've got a question for those familiar with purchasing game stuff at BB/GR with value cards. I'm saving up credit via the HoV and The Darkness trade-ins and building up my value card, in the hope of ultimately getting a 360 (don't have one). So my question is, when purchasing things with the trade-in credit on a value card, are you still charged taxes? I know at Gamestop that you aren't charged tax if you pay with trade-in credit. And if it makes a difference, I'm talking corporate stores.[/QUOTE]

Blockbuster does things in reverse. When you trade in a game, say it has a $30 value. They give you $30 + tax in credit so you get like $31.84 or whatever, depending on your local tax rate.

Then when you buy something they still charge you tax and it's all a wash. Hope that helps...

[quote name='chosen1s']Blockbuster does things in reverse. When you trade in a game, say it has a $30 value. They give you $30 + tax in credit so you get like $31.84 or whatever, depending on your local tax rate.

Then when you buy something they still charge you tax and it's all a wash. Hope that helps...[/QUOTE]

Hmm.... weird. There's no mention of tax on my trade-in receipt whatsoever. For example, the $35 people have quoted for The Darkness... on my receipt, I just got $35; no tax. Unless they're considering that $35 amount to include tax.... but still no mention of tax anywhere on the receipt.

[quote name='arthurRWD']i'm gonna say 'no' on that last two. motogp is only $14.99 at BB, and AW is about the same[/quote]

Moto GP is < 12, I decided to keep my kmart copy.

[quote name='arthurRWD']i'm gonna say 'no' on that last two. motogp is only $14.99 at BB, and AW is about the same[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick reply. Pretty much what I figured since they had old dates, still not bad though.

[quote name='mkernan']Hmm.... weird. There's no mention of tax on my trade-in receipt whatsoever. For example, the $35 people have quoted for The Darkness... on my receipt, I just got $35; no tax. Unless they're considering that $35 amount to include tax.... but still no mention of tax anywhere on the receipt.[/quote]Same with mine. And I highly doubt the trade in vlaue for the Darkness is really $32.14

YMMV on that tax thing- it may be a state law, wherever you are. AFAIK, nothing like that exists in California.

[quote name='chosen1s']Blockbuster does things in reverse. When you trade in a game, say it has a $30 value. They give you $30 + tax in credit so you get like $31.84 or whatever, depending on your local tax rate.

Then when you buy something they still charge you tax and it's all a wash. Hope that helps...[/QUOTE]
The tax refund only applies to certain states (I seem to remember Indiana being one, but I'm not sure). It does not work that way in most locations. You get the trade value as stated, and you are charged tax when you buy something.

[quote name='mkernan']I know at Gamestop that you aren't charged tax if you pay with trade-in credit. And if it makes a difference, I'm talking corporate stores.[/QUOTE]
The GB/EB 'no tax when using store credit' thing appears to have ended, at least in Florida - I shop in multiple stores/counties, so it isn't something specific to a store or city. According to one of the employees, they changed that policy in the system sometime in August/September. I checked some receipts, and it appears to have happened about the time or just before Eternal Sonata being released (it's the earliest receipt I had on hand when I checked).

[quote name='hotwls13']Anyone know if the following are still trading at these prices?

Amped 3 - $19 - 9/12/07

If so, I will have to pick them up at the local KMART. :)[/QUOTE]

And since I was posting anyway, I got a phone quote on those just now:
:360: Amped 3 - $19
:360: Moto GP 2006 - $8
:360: Tony Hawk: American Wasteland - $15

That last one seems a little high (considering it's now two versions back), but I guess it's possible.

Amped 3 is $7 at Kmart (2 copies) net extra $25 credit. It's good deal to get Resident Evil 4 for less $15. still have extra $10 credit left.

Just to Note the Blockbusters are giving out different prices. I called one they said 35 for The Darkness , i called another store they told me 15 and another told me 20. The stores were in Philadelphia. Is anyone else having these problems?

[quote name='ShaJay']Just to Note the Blockbusters are giving out different prices. I called one they said 35 for The Darkness , i called another store they told me 15 and another told me 20. The stores were in Philadelphia. Is anyone else having these problems?[/quote]

I went to three different BB yesterday, 1 GR and 2 regular BB. They all gave me $35 for Darkness 360 and $36 for the PS3 version. Los Angeles.

your a lucky bastard then lol.... I usually am the Flip king but not in the mood cause they all telling me different stuff and i dont feel like making the big flip :)

[quote name='io'] They said all Blockbusters today were having trouble with Value Cards and they couldn't get the credit on there, so it is sitting on my account, which I don't like one bit.
[/quote]

That's weird b/c yesterday I went to 3 BB and they all had the CASH ONLY sign up yet they were able to give me the credit on the VC with no problem. Furthermore, the last one I went to said I couldn't purchase anything with it unless I had opted to leave it in my account instead of putting it on the VC. They could put credit on VCs but couldn't pay w/it b/c it processes like a credit/debit card.

[quote name='mrhappi79']That's weird b/c yesterday I went to 3 BB and they all had the CASH ONLY sign up yet they were able to give me the credit on the VC with no problem. Furthermore, the last one I went to said I couldn't purchase anything with it unless I had opted to leave it in my account instead of putting it on the VC. They could put credit on VCs but couldn't pay w/it b/c it processes like a credit/debit card.[/quote]It just means their whole swipe card validation system was down. They don't swipe the cards to give you credit, it's added by scanning.

A quick note to flippers, the EB/GS B1G1 50% coupon expires today.

If you want to double your money (e.g. buy Blockbuster credit for $.50 on the dollar), make sure you stock up on copies of Hour Of Victory (X360) and The Darkness (X360, PS3) today.

Here's what I'm planning on doing today:

Buy 4 x The Darkness (X360) @ EB/GS = $70.16 cash
Trade 4 x The Darkness (X360) @ BB = $140 credit
Buy The Orange Box (New, X360), Gears Of War (Used, X360), & GRAW 2 (Used, X360) = $140 credit ($70.16 cash / $23.38 per game)

On a side note, I wonder what Blockbuster is going to do with all those copies of HOV and Darkness? My local store still has copies of Enchanted Arms collecting dust on the shelf (thanks to me).

[quote name='botticus']It just means their whole swipe card validation system was down. They don't swipe the cards to give you credit, it's added by scanning.[/quote]

That makes sense, what doesn't is the person I was responding to who was told they couldn't be given credit on their VC and instead the credit had to be placed on his/her account in the meantime.

I found it store and it works but its ashame that my blockbuster doesnt have any xbox 360 or anything like to buy

[quote name='p0tempkin']A quick note to flippers, the EB/GS B1G1 50% coupon expires today.

If you want to double your money (e.g. buy Blockbuster credit for $.50 on the dollar), make sure you stock up on copies of Hour Of Victory (X360) and The Darkness (X360, PS3) today.

Buy The Orange Box (New, X360), Gears Of War (Used, X360), & GRAW 2 (Used, X360) = $140 credit ($70.16 cash / $23.38 per game)

On a side note, I wonder what Blockbuster is going to do with all those copies of HOV and Darkness? My local store still has copies of Enchanted Arms collecting dust on the shelf (thanks to me).[/quote]
My BB still has every copy of Red Ninja I flipped there last year. $7.50 at CC, $27 credit at BB x 4. :D

[quote name='p0tempkin']A quick note to flippers, the EB/GS B1G1 50% coupon expires today.

On a side note, I wonder what Blockbuster is going to do with all those copies of HOV and Darkness? My local store still has copies of Enchanted Arms collecting dust on the shelf (thanks to me).[/quote]

If you can, try to get The Darkness (PS3). It sells for the same price USED @ EB/GS but it trades in for $36 instead of the $35 that the X360 does. Just a thought.

[quote name='nlyonssmith']If you can, try to get The Darkness (PS3). It sells for the same price USED @ EB/GS but it trades in for $36 instead of the $35 that the X360 does. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

UNLESS your store does the $5/3 extra, where you would get $40 for the 360 version and $36 for PS3 (because PS3 games don't count for the bonus);

[quote name='nlyonssmith']If you can, try to get The Darkness (PS3). It sells for the same price USED @ EB/GS but it trades in for $36 instead of the $35 that the X360 does. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]
It's a lot harder to find the PS3 version in my neck of the woods. The used game selection for X360 games at my local EB/GS is at least 10x bigger than the used PS3 game selection.

[quote name='djkunai']UNLESS your store does the $5/3 extra, where you would get $40 for the 360 version and $36 for PS3 (because PS3 games don't count for the bonus);[/quote]

DJ you are in SoCal yeah? Which stores do you go to that give the bonus?

[quote name='botticus']It just means their whole swipe card validation system was down. They don't swipe the cards to give you credit, it's added by scanning.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well they scanned mine and it didn't work. I'm wondering if my Value Card has issues. It is the one I used for a certain something last week and now I'm nervous about it ;).

As for the whole tax thing, even though it is moot to me (here in OR), kojubat pretty much covered it. But to give one wierd example, one time when I was in DC I was trading in some cheap TRU stuff (Flatout 2 for Xbox was one - remember that one? ;)). I went to a regular BB in both MD and VA. In VA I got the extra tax added on and in MD I didn't.

ShaJay - the only way you can have different trade-in prices is if
1) They looked up the wrong game (entirely possible as they do it manually when you call).
2) The oddball prices were from franchise stores, which can price stuff any way they want.

If it is a corporate store the prices will be what everyone here is saying. They don't adjust prices down like Gamecrazy if they get too many of a certain title.

[quote name='nlyonssmith']DJ you are in SoCal yeah? Which stores do you go to that give the bonus?[/QUOTE]

Call me Kunai. In the valley, right next to CSUN, on Nordhoff/Reseda.

By the way, these:

:360:
Gun $12
Pimp My Ride $22
Quake 4 $12
THAW $15

I just tried to do the whole HOV deal. Turns out I was a little suspicious when I used my coupon for two copies of Hour of Victory (didn't have much choice since I only have two GS/EB near me, and it was the only one with HOV). I also found out you can only use one coupon ever, so I was only able to use it on that. When I showed up at the other GameStop, apparently the other store called over or something, because the guy told me since I used it at the other store, I couldn't again (he didn't even look at the computer).

So, I went over to Blockbuster with my two copies of HOV, traded them in, and got $74.90! I paid $34.75 for both copies of HOV, so I made over $40 in credit alone. Pretty damn good considering the great games like Mass Effect, CoD4, and Assassin's Creed coming out. I may wait and see if BB has a Black Friday special or something. I put it into a gift card, so maybe I can even trade it online for a GameStop card. I'm also going to try and get my friend to use the coupon today before it expires.

[quote name='lyric706']Anyone know if GR got Ratchet and Clank in yet?[/quote]

I haven't been out to check yet, but when I asked about 2 weeks ago, the lady looked it up in the computer and told me they would be getting it on November 2.

$85 for 2x Darkness PS3 1 Darkness 360 and 1 HoV 360

got $142 in credit

Made $57 :D

I forgot to use my Edge card like an idiot. It might've expired already though. But still. $8! :bomb:

The Orange Box was sold out, but they have more on order she said. Also, they're getting only the Guitar Hero III game, not the bundle which sucks for me, cause I have GH1 and 2 for PS2. They also didn't have Phoenix Wright: T&T in the system. :[

Oh well, I'll be getting Orange Box and CoD4 soon enough.

[quote name='Karuto']I just tried to do the whole HOV deal. Turns out I was a little suspicious when I used my coupon for two copies of Hour of Victory (didn't have much choice since I only have two GS/EB near me, and it was the only one with HOV). I also found out you can only use one coupon ever, so I was only able to use it on that. When I showed up at the other GameStop, apparently the other store called over or something, because the guy told me since I used it at the other store, I couldn't again (he didn't even look at the computer).

So, I went over to Blockbuster with my two copies of HOV, traded them in, and got $74.90! I paid $34.75 for both copies of HOV, so I made over $40 in credit alone. Pretty damn good considering the great games like Mass Effect, CoD4, and Assassin's Creed coming out. I may wait and see if BB has a Black Friday special or something. I put it into a gift card, so maybe I can even trade it online for a GameStop card. I'm also going to try and get my friend to use the coupon today before it expires.[/quote]

Looks like you went to the wrong GS/EB. I went to two yesterday and both let me use the coupon twice. I was able to buy 3 copies of Darkness 360 at one of them alone.

Yeah, my GS let me use two copies of the coupon, too.

I still don't see how everyone is making so much money out of this.

I spent $85 and got $142 in credit.

Some people are spending half as much as me and getting the same amount of money made.

Hmm.

[quote name='aoLat']$85 for 2x Darkness PS3 1 Darkness 360 and 1 HoV 360

got $142 in credit

Made $57 :D

I forgot to use my Edge card like an idiot. It might've expired already though. But still. $8! :bomb:

The Orange Box was sold out, but they have more on order she said. Also, they're getting only the Guitar Hero III game, not the bundle which sucks for me, cause I have GH1 and 2 for PS2. They also didn't have Phoenix Wright: T&T in the system. :[

Oh well, I'll be getting Orange Box and CoD4 soon enough.[/quote]

If you have got another GR nearby, call them up and ask about GH III. Two GRs near me are not getting any, but two others are taking orders for bundles.

Traded in HOV and Darkness for $71.

He claimed Battalion Wars 2 is on order - have they been pretty accurate as far as having things on order and actually getting them in?

Bought 3x Darkness (360) using the coupon (also picked up a keeper Condemned for $8). Haven't flipped them yet, though I'm headed to do that tomorrow. Not a single EB had HoV, and really didn't feel like screwing around and trying to trade in 4 copies of The Darkness.

I've got a handful of 360 games I don't play - should offset the difference by not picking up another Darkness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back