The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='djkunai']I PMed Cheapy asking to be an editor but I haven't heard back yet...[/quote]I believe Cheapy and Mrs Cheapy had their baby this weekend; they've been I would assume, incredibly busy.

But I have shot him a pm about you and another CAG who needs wiki editor rights. I'm sure y'all will be give those as soon as he can spare the time.

Damn, I wish I could of jumped on that Darkness deal earlier.

Anyone have a current trade-in value for Madden 08 (X360)?

If its still $35, I'll probably get rid of it since I'm getting the Orange Box/CoD4/Mass Effect soon.

[quote name='JJSP']Bought 3x Darkness (360) using the coupon (also picked up a keeper Condemned for $8). Haven't flipped them yet, though I'm headed to do that tomorrow. Not a single EB had HoV, and really didn't feel like screwing around and trying to trade in 4 copies of The Darkness.

I've got a handful of 360 games I don't play - should offset the difference by not picking up another Darkness.[/QUOTE]

be very careful ... GR drop price "the darkness" anytime now. So u better trade-in as soon as possible or u'll be sorry if it drop down $15 :)

[quote name='aoLat']$85 for 2x Darkness PS3 1 Darkness 360 and 1 HoV 360

got $142 in credit

Made $57 :D

I forgot to use my Edge card like an idiot. It might've expired already though. But still. $8! :bomb:

The Orange Box was sold out, but they have more on order she said. Also, they're getting only the Guitar Hero III game, not the bundle which sucks for me, cause I have GH1 and 2 for PS2. They also didn't have Phoenix Wright: T&T in the system. :[

Oh well, I'll be getting Orange Box and CoD4 soon enough.[/QUOTE]

Try the one in Allen Park on Southfield Rd. near Allen Rd. I know that they are getting a few bundles in because my girlfriend is suppose to be getting the Wii version from this store.

[quote name='nlyonssmith']If you can, try to get The Darkness (PS3). It sells for the same price USED @ EB/GS but it trades in for $36 instead of the $35 that the X360 does. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]
Spoke too soon. I did find an EB/GS that had exactly two PS3 copies of The Darkness; bought both for $35.08; traded in for $72. 105.2% return...not bad :)

Couldn't find a used copy of Gears Of War, but I did pick up 8 movies for $40 credit ($20 cash, $2.50 per movie).

[quote name='Karuto']Would someone quickly check the price of Blazing Angels for the 360? I'd really appreciate it. :D[/quote]

The price for a used copy at GR is $29.99, saw it yesterday. If you were asking how much it trades for I don't know.

[quote name='Masterkyo']be very careful ... GR drop price "the darkness" anytime now. So u better trade-in as soon as possible or u'll be sorry if it drop down $15 :)[/QUOTE]
If that happens, I'll return them. No big deal. ;)

I'm posting from my phone, so I can't update right now.

:360:
Cars $8
Fusion Frenzy 2 $15

If you pick up the 3pack at Wal-Mart for $30, you can flip it for $42. Not too great unless you get the extra $5 on each though, bumping it to $57.

[quote name='ShaJay']My store won't give me a gift card and says i have to use the credit at that certain store[/quote]That's crazy. I thought the policy was they gave you the credit on a gift card.

[quote name='ShaJay']My store won't give me a gift card and says i have to use the credit at that certain store[/quote]

By chance was it a franchise store?

Anyone seen or heard if the ace combat 6 bundle is showing up at GR?

Called about this copy Of MotoGp i've had laying here debating on trying it or just taking back to Kmart. I sucked at the demo and it's gonna get lost in my ever growing backlog of soon to be 4 systems games. I also asked about Oblivion since someone here had wondered plus I got a copy from the super duper "thing" from last week and thats a ton of play hours in my backlog...

Anyway here's the beef:
:360: Oblivion - $15
:360: MotoGP 06 - $8
:ps2: slim system - $40 (gonna keep it though and just get 40gb PS3)

Would anyone mind on checking Blazing Angels trade-in price for the Xbox 360? There isn't a GameRush around here, and the only way to check it at BB is to have them scan and read it. However, when I sold HoV yesterday, it still rang up as $35, so the prices are all the same. If you could help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

[quote name='Karuto']Would anyone mind on checking Blazing Angels trade-in price for the Xbox 360? There isn't a GameRush around here, and the only way to check it at BB is to have them scan and read it. However, when I sold HoV yesterday, it still rang up as $35, so the prices are all the same. If you could help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thanks![/quote]

Call your store and ask all they gotta do is type it in the computer. I've NEVER had a BB/GR not tell me a price over the phone. ;)

Ooo, Blazing Angels is still selling for $35! If you can find a good deal on it someplace else, you're sure to get plenty of credit (130% return from GS/EB) from that. :D

[quote name='Karuto']I just called in, and the guy said $35. I'd never lie about such a thing. ;)[/quote]He MIGHT have quoted you the trade in for Blazing Angels 2. Just a thought.

yea but theres different versions of it. If it is the WWII then were talking if not.. your still screwed.

EDIT: Xbox 360 - Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII - Used = $15 trade value at GR i had them make double sure because there are more than one game named similiar. She got shitty and replied she knew how to read and repeated it all back slowly. :D

$27.99 used at EB so it's a no go on flipping. :(

I doubt it's second one, because I remember hearing a long subtitle with WWII in it, and not "Secret Missions". Besides, it still sells used at GameStop for $26.99, so it's not that surprising, honestly.

I'd say BA2 sells the same or more, since it just came out, and is $54.99 at GS/EB.

[quote name='ShaJay']My store won't give me a gift card and says i have to use the credit at that certain store[/QUOTE]

I meant to say something about this earlier but I found out from a friend that I have that works at BB that storewide they are suppose to be cracking down on giving Value Cards with credit now because stores are wanting to see more revenue from trades so a lot of stores will now make you put the credit on your account and you can only use it at that store.

[quote name='cdeener']I meant to say something about this earlier but I found out from a friend that I have that works at BB that storewide they are suppose to be cracking down on giving Value Cards with credit now because stores are wanting to see more revenue from trades so a lot of stores will now make you put the credit on your account and you can only use it at that store.[/QUOTE]
Putting trade-in credit on a value card is written ON THEIR trade-in agreement.

If ANY Blockbuster employee gives you trouble about putting credit on a value card, ask them for a copy of their trade-in agreement (or show them the copy you were given when you opened your trade account) and point out the part that says credit can be put on a value card at the customer's request.

[quote name='cdeener']I meant to say something about this earlier but I found out from a friend that I have that works at BB that storewide they are suppose to be cracking down on giving Value Cards with credit now because stores are wanting to see more revenue from trades so a lot of stores will now make you put the credit on your account and you can only use it at that store.[/QUOTE]

They did tell me at the store where my value card wouldn't work that they don't carry Value Cards any more and I was "lucky" to have one. However, it is pretty damn useless if it stops working for trades. I haven't gone back to try to get the rest of my credit yet.

But such a policy wouldn't surprise me. It would also make trading into Blockbuster a lot less useful. For example, my local store does not carry any new games, so I would never need to spend money there. The one that gave me problems with the card has a few, so I *might* spend some money there. But I'd really rather be able to carry the card with me if and when I ever travel to somewhere with a Gamerush and buy stuff there. In any case, I want the credit portable so I can either buy the 1 or 2 games I might find at a regular BB or save it for GR (or even trade it with CAGs).

[quote name='$hady']Called about this copy Of MotoGp i've had laying here debating on trying it or just taking back to Kmart. I sucked at the demo and it's gonna get lost in my ever growing backlog of soon to be 4 systems games. I also asked about Oblivion since someone here had wondered plus I got a copy from the super duper "thing" from last week and thats a ton of play hours in my backlog...

Anyway here's the beef:
:ps2: slim system - $40 (gonna keep it though and just get 40gb PS3)[/quote]

I'll buy MotoGP from you for cost + shipping + whatever. Shoot me a PM if you want. I can't find that one at any kmart around here.

Turns out Blazing Angels for the 360 is now $15. Why the guy said $35, I dunno. I suppose it was the 2nd one, but whatever. :(

How does the Walmart 3 pack stack up at GameRush?

X360: Cars, Fuzion Frenzy 2, and OpenSeason.

Cars: ?
Fuzion Frenzy 2: $15?
Open Season: $19

I can tell you Cars costs $15 used at Blockbuster, so I'm guessing no more than $7 trade-in. So if that's the case, you'd get $41 from your $30 spent at Walmart - not worth it IMO.

I saw that 3 pack at Best Buy today by the way. . .

Just made some KMart clearance game trades today and spent about 29 to get 73 in credit. That'll more than pay for the CoD4 preorder I made even though they told me over the phone that they couldn't do it yet. First thing I saw when I walked in was a display encouraging customers to preorder Cod4 and other games!

Thanks CAG!

I really wish my K-mart was such a crap hole that they had cheap clearance games but everytime i go in there I can never find the cheap ones.

The funny thing is that it looks like a huge crap hole from the outside.

Hitman Blood Money (360) trades for $19, and the aforementioned Oblivion trades at $15. Sounds good to me since I bought them during the $10 off used 360 games a few weeks back at EB. I actually made $4 on Hitman.

Flipped 2x Darkness, 1x Oblivion, and 1x Hitman for $104. They weren't doing the extra $15 deal, but I'm pretty happy with how things turned out. Am I going to get weird looks if I go trade another Darkness in tomorrow morning?

Off of the board behind the checkout...

Beautiful Katamari (360) - $19
Orange Box (360) - $30

Trade in values from a Blockbuster email:

:360: Stranglehold - $30
:360: Bioshock - $30
:ps3: Heavenly Sword - $32
:ps2: Spiderman Friend or Foe - $16
:wii: Metroid Prime 3 - $26

[quote name='$hady']Called about this copy Of MotoGp i've had laying here debating on trying it or just taking back to Kmart. I sucked at the demo and it's gonna get lost in my ever growing backlog of soon to be 4 systems games. I also asked about Oblivion since someone here had wondered plus I got a copy from the super duper "thing" from last week and thats a ton of play hours in my backlog...

Anyway here's the beef:
:ps2: slim system - $40 (gonna keep it though and just get 40gb PS3)[/QUOTE]

Wait, so GR still takes in systems?

[quote name='nlyonssmith']How does the Walmart 3 pack stack up at GameRush?

X360: Cars, Fuzion Frenzy 2, and OpenSeason.

Cars: ?
Fuzion Frenzy 2: $15?
Open Season: $19[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I posted these values on the previous page. Noob.

[quote name='djkunai']Seriously, I posted these values on the previous page. Noob.[/QUOTE]

D'oh! I missed that too - too many threads to check on these days and sometimes I don't go back a page if I think I've already read it (since so many of the posts here are the same ;)).

Anyway, so Cars is $8 - my guess of $7 wasn't too bad. That's strange of even GR to offer $8 for something they sell for $15 though. My point holds: $30 -> $42 is not worth it to me, especially if the funds need to sit at whatever store I traded them in to.

Now, Lego Bionicles at Kmart for $4.90 -> $15 is a much better deal ;).

And I'm leaving it to you to update the Wiki for prices in this thread. Hope you don't mind.

[quote name='io']I'm leaving it to you to update the Wiki for prices in this thread. Hope you don't mind.[/QUOTE]

Just finished~

[quote name='djkunai']Seriously, I posted these values on the previous page. Noob.[/quote]

Yes, very much a n00b. I even read the post earlier. GR had better have gotten in my GH3 bundle today...

[quote name='p0tempkin']Putting trade-in credit on a value card is written ON THEIR trade-in agreement.

If ANY Blockbuster employee gives you trouble about putting credit on a value card, ask them for a copy of their trade-in agreement (or show them the copy you were given when you opened your trade account) and point out the part that says credit can be put on a value card at the customer's request.[/QUOTE]

It also states in the trade agreement that terms are subject to change without notice so that wouldn't work my good friend. Actually that goes for your account with Blockbuster all together, too.

OK, don't bite my head off. :) Here are some values from today to show that they are still holding.

All 360
Superman Returns $15
Bionicle $15
PSU $12
Open Season $19
Amped 3 $19
Cabelas Alaskan $15
Eragon $12

Disgaea 2 PS2 $19

So, approx $50 for $126 credit. And they had no problem putting it on a card. :)

[quote name='hotwls13']OK, don't bite my head off. :) Here are some values from today to show that they are still holding.

All 360
Superman Returns $15
Bionicle $15
PSU $12
Open Season $19
Amped 3 $19
Cabelas Alaskan $15
Eragon $12

Disgaea 2 PS2 $19

So, approx $50 for $126 credit. And they had no problem putting it on a card. :)[/QUOTE]

Damn, Cabela's Alaskan & Bionicle are looking like a hot flip from K-Mart. Gotta get some cred built up for Manhunt 2! *Big assumption that GR will get it in* I guess I'll try grabbing those, with one Open Season, should just about cover me.

[quote name='jkircos']Wait, so GR still takes in systems?[/quote]
Yes I asked over the phone this morning plus asked again tonight at another store on my way home from work and they do give $40 for the Slim PS2. He had to get a binder out that had all the accessory codes in it to look up the price that way though where usually they just typoe it in the computer. I was talking with the night manager and he said that this store was soon going to "Gamerush Lite" and would probably stop taking system trades and probably getting less new games and hardware to sell..... He didn't know all the details but knew it was coming.

[quote name='sp00ge']I'll buy MotoGP from you for cost + shipping + whatever. Shoot me a PM if you want. I can't find that one at any kmart around here.[/quote]
Sorry I had it with me and traded it on my way home from work tonight. If i'd seen your post in time it would have been yours. Would have rather you had it than make just a buck trading it to Gamerush. :cry:

I hate waiting and it's really a better deal PLUS it's all credit anyway so I picked up the 80gb PS3 Motorstorm bundle tonight. I can trade in my PS2 for $40 + Motorstorm I was going to buy this week anyway at EB for $25 (40% off local sale) so basically it was just $40 more for double the HD (versus the $400 Spiderman 3 bundle i was gonna get) and backwards compatibility. The look on the kids face was priceless when I kept pulling out gift cards and giving him the totals of each to ring up torwards the purchase and the manager was just like WOW you been saving up for awhile.... Yea like 3 weeks? :D

Wii60S3 FTW! I love fifty cents on the dollar systems. Thanks CAG! :D

[quote name='$hady']EDIT: Xbox 360 - Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII - Used = $15 trade value at GR i had them make double sure because there are more than one game named similiar. She got shitty and replied she knew how to read and repeated it all back slowly. :D

$27.99 used at EB so it's a no go on flipping. :([/quote]
If this was a book, this conversation would be foreshadowing. Someone posted that they got Blazing Angels for 360 for 7 after 30% off at KMart. First time I've seen it mentioned so it might be a YMMV pricing. I know the original xbox version is 7 after 30% off, but I haven't tried the 360 version. If it's true that BA 360 is at the same price of the xbox version, why can't Burnout Revenge 360 be on clearance at 10 like it's xbox counterpart? :bomb: Just a heads up for that last day of trade fodder searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back