The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

[quote name='Karuto']Tell me what else you did, p0tempkin. I'd love to hear how you racked up that much credit! :D[/QUOTE]
I didn't do anything but trade in copies of Hour Of Victory and The Darkness.

Make sure you use the B1G1 50% Off coupon for EB/GS when you buy those games used. The prices if you buy two copies at a time using the coupon are as follows (EDGE discount included):

2 x Hour Of Victory = (2 x $24.99 x .9) - ($24.99 x .5) = $32.48

2 x The Darkness = (2 x $26.99 x .9) - ($26.99 x .5) = $35.08

The Darkness + Hour Of Victory = (($26.99 + $24.99) x .9) - ($24.99 x .5) = $34.28

The best option (which is also the hardest to find) is two copies of Hour Of Victory, which will net you a 115.5% return on your cost.

The worst option (which is the easiest to find) is two copies of The Darkness, which will net you 99.5% return on your cost.

I got lucky in one store because I was able to use my Blockbuster credit to buy mispriced copies of Bioshock, which I traded in to buy more copies of The Darkness to trade in. That is why my percentage return is a little higher than normal. But 100% return is nothing to laugh at either.

Basically, I have enough credit to buy any new/used game I want from Blockbuster at 50% off or more. I already bought Gears Of War; $44.99 used at Blockbuster, which translates to $22.49 out of pocket.

[quote name='helloEric']Local GR quoted these prices:
360: Halo 3 - $35[/QUOTE]
You can get $35 for Halo 3 at EB/GS; no reason to trade it in at GR.

In fact, trade in Halo 3 at EB/GS; use the $35 in credit you receive to buy two copies of The Darkness. Trade those two copies in at GR for $70 in credit.

Hmmmmmm........

$35 for Two Worlds

I assume I'd get $35 for Eternal Sonata as well

Could buy a new 360 game for that. But I have no GameRushes by me. And I dont think Blockbuster gets many games in and when they do not on release day. theres also the question in whether or not they let you reserve a game.

It's too bad, because it'd be awesome to have that above-average credit return in case I wanted to buy a Wi. Thanks a lot for the help, though, p0t! :D

I had COMPLETELY forgotten about the PS3 version of the Darkness so I just called and it gets $36. Technically I've never traded that game into GR since all my copies were the 360 version..... :D I'm gonna go grab a couple of those I assume they are the same price as 360 version at EB while I go hit up the other close EBs I missed yesterday. I just called and one had HoV so I can do another 3 dark 1 HoV hopefully. :D

Also I noticed Def Jam Icon had recently dropped at EB to $30 so I asked about that as well but Gamerush gives $15 for it.

So for the Wiki:

PS3 Darkness - $36
360 Def Jam Icon - $15

[quote name='$hady']I assume they are the same price as 360 version at EB[/QUOTE]
Why would you assume that when it is usually never the case?

[quote name='botticus']Well, he's right. $26.99.[/QUOTE]
I stand corrected.

Interesting story, BTW. It might have to do with the difference between "franchise" and "corporate" stores.

I only trade in one copy of any game at any BB. Yesterday, when I went into my local BB, the manager confronted me about my trading habits.

She somehow knew that I had traded in the same two games at her store AND the BB 4 miles down the road. Someone mentioned in this thread that they don't have the ability to track trade accounts between stores, so my guess is that she took it upon herself to investigate my trading habits at the neighboring store. Perhaps both stores are owned by the same franchisee?

[quote name='Karuto']And what did you say? Did you tell her the truth? lol[/QUOTE]
Heck no :)

She really didn't accuse me of anything either, except to say that my trading habits look "fishy" and that I might be investigated by BB's fraud prevention department. It's probably a bunch of hot air. And the most they could do is shut down my trade account; something I wouldn't lose any sleep over.

When I trade in 2 copies of a game I always use my cousins as an excuse. I have a lot of cousins and each of them is spoiled and needs their own copy of the game, because they each have X360s. They also compete to see who can get achievements faster in a limited amount of time, and then trade the games in.

Of course they are too young to have a trading account, so my aunt begs me to do it for them all the time.

[quote name='p0tempkin']Heck no :)

She really didn't accuse me of anything either, except to say that my trading habits look "fishy" and that I might be investigated by BB's fraud prevention department. It's probably a bunch of hot air. And the most they could do is shut down my trade account; something I wouldn't lose any sleep over.[/quote]

If games weren't stolen, then there's nothing to worry about anyways. You legally owned the games and traded them in.

I would laugh in the managers face if I was confronted in that sense. It's called capitalism - and if Blockbuster really took issue - they should *investigate* what the *current market valuation* of certain titles are just a bit better. haha, honestly.

A manager/store can still refuse to allow trades from ANYONE they please. They can ban anyone they please....

This is the same discussion, new generation of GameRushers ;)

Hit the last 2 local EBs today (good to have 6 total within 12 miles of my house) grabbed:

-RE4 Wii - for mii :D
-HoV x2
-Darkness PS3 x3

out of pocket total - 107.80
Gamerush credit - 188.68 + RE4 Wii for mii :D

RE4 kinda killed my ratio if i'd got another $35 game i'd been at $225 credit and $.48 on the dollar. Oh well sacraficing $35 GR credit is better than spending $25 out of my pocket later. I ended up with $.57 one the dollar plus a free game today...

I know of a few locals but not sure if they GR or not... Alexandria Gamestop I didn't go to or call the other NKY stores have no more used HoV and no store had more than 1 copy to begin with.

They're not quite as vigilant as they were in the heyday, but watch out for some of the vigilante managers. They have and are not afraid to ban people for trading in multiple copies of games that happen to fetch generous trade in values. It's happened numerous times, and regardless of whether or not you own the games. Like any private business, Blockbuster/Gamerush has the right to refuse service to anyone (trading in this case specifically). If you guys need a reminder, check out some of the earlier GR threads from April until August of 2005.

One last thing (although I think everyone does this anyways), make sure all your credit is put onto gift cards. Some GR managers were known to erase credit (disregarding legality since they kept your games) if any credit was found on your specific account. From what I remember, any credit transfered to a gift card is secure.

Honestly I don't blame managers fo being wary of people trading in multiple copies of games. Heck some of you here are posting your "great hauls" which consist of multiple game flips and while legal is borderline immoral. I'm not going to preach that you shouldn't do it but I pesonaly don't flip games.

With that said if a manager thinks you are abusing the system then more power to them for trying to maintain a profitable buisiness.

[quote name='doubledown']A manager/store can still refuse to allow trades from ANYONE they please. They can ban anyone they please....

This is the same discussion, new generation of GameRushers ;)[/quote]

Yeah, but it sounded like she was threatening him on a legal level by referring to the fraud prevention dept. Banning is always an option, but if the games were legitly purchased and traded in under BB's policies, there is no fraud. It's on the store to reject multiple trade-ins.

The key is spreading out your trades and using gift cards. Some of us are lucky to have multiple BB/GR stores very close to us. Example I live near a GR and have a BB 5 minutes up the road and another GR maybe 5 minutes on past that. Spread the wealth. :D

[quote name='FxhoundADAM']Honestly I don't blame managers fo being wary of people trading in multiple copies of games. Heck some of you here as posting your "great hauls" which consist of multiple game flipes and while legal is borderline immoral. I'm not going to preach that you shouldn't do it but I pesonaly don't flip games.

With that said if a manager thinks you are abusing the system then more power to them for trying to maintain a profitable buisiness.[/QUOTE]

That's my perception - but it was the legal thing that got me.

Not that I'm blaming managers for doing their jobs, but I fail to see how Blockbuster is a "profitable business" at this point and time. They're financial problems stem from a CEO (John Antioco) who knew shit about the movie business, taking forever (thus allowing Netflix to ultimately capitalize) to enter the home delivery market, and eliminating late fees (removing any incentive for people to return their movies in a timely manner).

In addition, they managed to lose over one billion dollars worth of market value for three consecutive years (2002-2004 I believe). The question now is whether or not Blockbuster will even exist in a B&M form five to ten years in the future. All of this means that vigilant managers are trying to squeeze a few more minutes and hours into the lifespan of Blockbuster.

[quote name='Skelah']So im wondering how I can move my gamerush credit to eb/gamestop anything trade good that way? Nomore clearance games?[/QUOTE]

Only way you can do that is if you purchase something from Blockbuster/Gamerush and than trade it in at EB?Gamestop, seeing as there 2 different companies.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Only way you can do that is if you purchase something from Blockbuster/Gamerush and than trade it in at EB?Gamestop, seeing as there 2 different companies. [/QUOTE]

I think he knows that and was asking if there were any good transfer games/items (buy at GR, trade at EB). Unfortunately, without some sort of GR sale combined with an EB/GS trade-in promo, there usually aren't many opportunities. I guess there is the extra $10 for 2 360 games at EB/GS right now. I have completely failed to take advantage of that and feel like turning in my CAG credentials as a result ;).

As for the rest of your comment, even though it was subtle, I removed it - no discussion of that sort of thing allowed on here please.

I just spent my extended lunch break converting about $130 credit at Gamestop into $280 at Blockbuster. I had to cancel a couple of my GS pre-orders to free up some credit, then bought lots of Hour of Victory and The Darkness (360 and PS3), then hit 3 Blockbusters in my area. I got ballsy with the last one and traded in two PS3 and one 360 copy of The Darkness (and they took all 3).

Hey np. And yah buying at gamerush and trading at Gamespot, even when Gamerush or Blockbuster has a deal....isnt really gonna give you much at Gamestop anyways.

Is there a way you can turn Blockbuster or Gamestop credit into gift cards? Then, you could just try to trade it online. I never checked that...

I just picked up 3 Copies of The Darkness (360) and one Hour of Victory except that one of the Darkness disks has a couple of scratches on it and the others light ones all over.

Does anyone know how picky GR is about the condition of games that you trade in? They don't have to be perfect do they?

I don't have to go back and exchange it for a better copy I hope.

I just Trade-in (2 copies) Bioshock and Gear of War (LE) for $95.15 after taxes. I still have 2 copies Halo 3 and Bioshock... I'll keep Bioshock & trade-in 2 copies Halo 3 at GS/EB for $40 each possible they gimme extra 30% toward Rockband :)

[quote name='Karuto']Is there a way you can turn Blockbuster or Gamestop credit into gift cards? Then, you could just try to trade it online. I never checked that...[/quote]I don't know how your Game Rush does it but I always get my credit on Blockbuster gift cards.

[quote name='sp00ge']Yeah, but it sounded like she was threatening him on a legal level by referring to the fraud prevention dept. Banning is always an option, but if the games were legitly purchased and traded in under BB's policies, there is no fraud. It's on the store to reject multiple trade-ins.[/quote]

Back when I was banned I was told the same thing by the DM, "we're referring this the fraud deplartment", I just laughed at him. It was a stupid comment meant to intimidate. If you have been banned at 1 store, just trade at another, the systems are not connected in any way. I didn't back read this thread, but if this is related to the 5/25 coupon, you can hardly be surprised that they are pissed, I have pushed my luck in the past, but that was so clearly wrong I choose to avoid it as I knew it would only end in tears.

[quote name='FxhoundADAM']Honestly I don't blame managers fo being wary of people trading in multiple copies of games. Heck some of you here are posting your "great hauls" which consist of multiple game flips and while legal is borderline immoral. I'm not going to preach that you shouldn't do it but I pesonaly don't flip games.

With that said if a manager thinks you are abusing the system then more power to them for trying to maintain a profitable buisiness.[/quote]

Just want to point out that "Flipping" is not buying from store A and selling at Store B, but rather buying from BB under promotion A, to sell back to BB for a profit. Don't forget the money you collect ultimately is spent at BB, and their typical markup is 20% so unless you're actually stealing from them, there is no real harm, they just don't make as much off of you.

[quote name='stoned99']Just want to point out that "Flipping" is not buying from store A and selling at Store B, but rather buying from BB under promotion A, to sell back to BB for a profit. Don't forget the money you collect ultimately is spent at BB, and their typical markup is 20% so unless you're actually stealing from them, there is no real harm, they just don't make as much off of you.[/QUOTE]

People can look at it different ways. Blockbuster doesnt know how you got your games, so they dont know if there buying "hot" merchandise or not. One of my local FYEs stopped doing trade-ins because of this. And Ive heard of others doing the same thing. Sure exploiting a good deal is great, but if too many people do it I wouldnt be surprised if Blockbuster and Gamerush stopped doing trade-ins.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']People can look at it different ways. Blockbuster doesnt know how you got your games, so they dont know if there buying "hot" merchandise or not. One of my local FYEs stopped doing trade-ins because of this. And Ive heard of others doing the same thing. Sure exploiting a good deal is great, but if too many people do it I wouldnt be surprised if Blockbuster and Gamerush stopped doing trade-ins.[/quote]

Thats why you have to have a trading account, for which they've collected all you personal information. Pawn shops have had to deal with this for ever, and trading is just another form of pawn exchange. If they suspect theft, they refer you to the police. They have no liability if they accept stolen goods, unless you actually admitted it too them, and then they still completed the trade.

Most people with stolen goods are not going to trade for store credit, they are going to unload on FYE or EB for cash.

Their trade agreement even allows for multiple copies of a single game, but it's always based upon manager approval, so always ask if it's ok before doing it. I think these kind of trading arrangements are really long term so treat them like something you want to keep around. Like I said before the 5/25 deal was obviously a royal raping for BB, and those ppl who did it multiple times can't complain, they painted a big red target on themselves.

Some Updates for the Wiki in red:

I can't wait for a CAG kind of deal on Call of Duty 4 so I'm going to do some trading in to make it cheaper. Called GR today and got the following quotes all for 360:

The standard KMart fodder all held their values:

Open Season 19
Phantasy Star Universe 12
Tomb Raider Legend 12
Bionicle 15
Cabela Alaska 15

Checked some others that are 50% off at my Best Buy's YMMV clearance (YMMV, although most Best Buys in the area are doing clearance with many of the same games):

Tony Hawk Project 8 15
Call of Duty 3 15 (regular edition)
DOAX2 28.50

Hopefully DOAX2 is 15 after discount as the others are since there was no price tag.

Possible trade ins from Target if they hit 75% off, ie: $5:

Call of Duty 2(didn't specify GOTY) 12
The Outfit 10

Also, All Pro Football should drop as low as 7.50 at Target which is in the wiki for 15 and Call of Juarez should drop as low as 15 and is in the wiki for 35.

BTW, my GR said CoD4 is in the system as arriving on 11/9, but is not available for preorder yet because the store doesn't have an order on it yet.

Does GR or Blockbuster sell extended warranties for systems? I have had about $200 on a card for about a year and figured I might as well buy a Wii or DS since I almost accidentaly threw it away.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Some Updates for the Wiki in red:

I can't wait for a CAG kind of deal on Call of Duty 4 so I'm going to do some trading in to make it cheaper. Called GR today and got the following quotes all for 360:

The standard KMart fodder all held their values:

Open Season 19
Tomb Raider Legend 12
Bionicle 15
Cabela Alaska 15

Checked some others that are 50% off at my Best Buy's YMMV clearance (YMMV, although most Best Buys in the area are doing clearance with many of the same games):

Tony Hawk Project 8 15
Call of Duty 3 15 (regular edition)
DOAX2 28.50

Hopefully DOAX2 is 15 after discount as the others are since there was no price tag.

Possible trade ins from Target if they hit 75% off, ie: $5:

Call of Duty 2(didn't specify GOTY) 12
The Outfit 10

Also, All Pro Football should drop as low as 7.50 at Target which is in the wiki for 15 and Call of Juarez should drop as low as 15 and is in the wiki for 35.

BTW, my GR said CoD4 is in the system as arriving on 11/9, but is not available for preorder yet because the store doesn't have an order on it yet.[/quote]

I preordered COD4 on Monday without any problems.

In addition to the values reported by jdawgg76, I can confirm that the trade values for the following held this week:

:360: Superman Returns $15
:360: Over G Fighters $28.50
:ps2: Disgaea 2 $19

All were traded today, 10/24.

I'll look hard on this games at Big Kmart tomorrow.
Open Season 19
Bionicle 15
Cabela Alaska 15

$5 for $15 in credit is STEAL DEAL EVER :)

Stopped by my local EB/GS today and, just my luck, two used copies of HOV were taunting me. Bought both, traded in both at BB, to up my total credit to $600.

Then I went to another BB and bought

Metroid Prime: Corruption (New) $49.99
Halo 3 (New) $59.99
XBOX 360 Wireless Controller (New) $49.99
Snakes On A Plane (Used) $3.99
Lumines (Used) $9.99
Xenosaga Episode II (Used) $2.99
Total Credit: $176.94

Total Out Of Pocket:

Traded in:
(X2) Disgaea 2 $19
(X2) PSU $12
Perfect Dark $8
Star Trek $12

The employee did the + $5 for 3 games or more. So I got almost $120 credit for like $40 cash down. Now I know GR will have either Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect, Guitar Hero III, or Assassins Creed. I should be good for a few months now.

Hmmm... I have some extra Kmart games I might want to trade in if I can get triple on them. I still don't know what to do with the credit, but that's hard to pass up... No CAGs seem to want them as they are fairly easy to get. It's easier to trade them in than return them.

If worse comes to worse I can use the credit for donations. My youngest son is in a community preschool that has a big Spring auction and every parent is required to come up with $150 in merchandise from local retailers to donate to the auction. Both me and my wife are miserable at soliciting from people like that (also, it seems every other person in the world has family connections to businesses - not us) so last year I just used $150 in Blockbuster credit as my donation - got 3 $50 gift cards with my existing credit. I get to claim it as a tax credit to boot. I'll probably end up doing the same this year.

Updating the wiki now...

Im sure this has been asked a number of times before, but do stand-alone BBs usually take trade ins? There are no GR, but plenty of BBs - I would probably know already if I stepped foot in one of them more than once a year. Some of these trade in values are borderline insanity. :)

[quote name='xdl']Im sure this has been asked a number of times before, but do stand-alone BBs usually take trade ins? There are no GR, but plenty of BBs - I would probably know already if I stepped foot in one of them more than once a year. Some of these trade in values are borderline insanity. :)[/quote]Only Gamerush's take in games for credit. However any blockbuster should take in movies.

[quote name='xdl']Im sure this has been asked a number of times before, but do stand-alone BBs usually take trade ins? There are no GR, but plenty of BBs - I would probably know already if I stepped foot in one of them more than once a year. Some of these trade in values are borderline insanity. :)[/QUOTE]

Yes. Anything you see me talking about is at regular stores. There isn't a GR within 600 miles of me any more ;).

FxhoundADAM - that is dead wrong, most places anyway. I've traded at regular Blockbusters in VA, MD, AZ, and OR. I see that you are in OK though - I think most of the stores there are franchise if I remember correctly. They can do whatever they want.

I suppose I should pick up the phone and double check. I know I have seen a few BBs around here that have a locked area with "new releases" and such. Here I was ignoring this thread for months now. *forehead slap*

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back