The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

what are thoughts on keeping copies of monster madness and call of juarez and using the 30% extra trade in credit at gamestop when the coupon starts tuesday. Anyone know the trade in value at gamestop vs blockbuster.

I did my rounds and ended up with about 10 monster madness 9 redsteel and 3 call of juarez

I have a problem, i called blockbuster up to make sure they take game trade-ins and the guy said they only took movies. This isn't a gamerush, just regualr blockbuster that i assume is a franchise.

i dont have a gamerush within 100 miles or so but all the blockbusters (3 in town) have accepted trade ins no problem. I had to snap at a manager thinking I was stealing the Beowulfs since I brought in 2 ps3 and 2 xbox 360 hes like I cant take these with the wrapper then he was like well I cant take them at all. I knew he thought they were stollen so I went to my car and brought a receipt in and he just looked down the rest of the time saying "nice deal".

I called one in the next county and was told the same thing. Maybe they just don't know they do. Might have to return my 2 copies of MM and 1 of call of juarez.

I wonder what kind of trade-in gamestop is giving for them. I'd rather have credit there anyhow.

CAG strikes again! I had to have the front alignment fixed on my wife's car (slid into a curb in the snow yesterday and it threw everything out of whack) so I took it into the Sears Auto center. They told me it would be 2 hours so we walked over to the Sears store. I snagged a copy of Rouge Galaxy for $9.98 out of the clearance bin and saw two copies of MM for the 360 in the glass case. I brought the CC ad with me so I went for a price match.

I asked the electronics guy if they do price matching. He said sure as long as you have the ad and it's not one of those "sign up for a credit card" offers. I showed him the ad and he said he'd be right back, he needed to check the price on the internet. It took a few minutes because of how busy they were but he came back and said he would do it but he had to have a manager do the override. The manager completed the override and I got both copies for about $8 total! The clerk then said "Wow that was a great deal! Do you mind if I keep the ad? I want to see what I can find!" (I thought about trying to price match the Madden 08 error but decided against it b/c of the internet check).

We picked up the car then went to the GR down the street. I traded in both copies and got about $61.00 on a value card. I looked around the store for a little bit and spotted a used copy of Lumines for $9.99! I snagged that as well as a rental. All and all not a bad day's work!

EDIT: I know this part belongs in the Sears thread but for any Kansas City CAGs there is a copy of EBA for the DS in the glass case and several of those Harmony Remotes to be had. (Antioch Mall location).

After letting AV take on the last CC near me, I picked it clean- grabbed 10 Red Steel, 2 Call of Juarez, and Art of Fighting in a pear tree.

I'm also in enemy territory- Huntington Beach. Time to reap the OC.

I went to BLockbuster today trade in 2 copies of Monster Madness and one copy of beowulf and got like 133 dollars in trade in credit. I tried another blockbuster this afternoon and their computers were down and they wouldn't accept any trade in s so i am going to call later on. Another one told me sorry we are out of trading forms and were not getting them in for a few days.

This is turning into one strange day. I called gamestop to check the trade in prices for MM and call of juarez and the guy said they couldn't do it over the phone. I've done it plenty of times before though.

Am i in the twilight zone or something?:roll:

[quote name='JolietJake']This is turning into one strange day. I called gamestop to check the trade in prices for MM and call of juarez and the guy said they couldn't do it over the phone. I've done it plenty of times before though.

Am i in the twilight zone or something?:roll:[/quote]
It's that time of year... They want you to lug your games down there, deal with the crowds, and by the time you get the ridiculous price quote, you'll be so fed up you'll accept the credit just to get it over with.

[quote name='djkunai']After letting AV take on the last CC near me, I picked it clean- grabbed 10 Red Steel, 2 Call of Juarez, and Art of Fighting in a pear tree.

I'm also in enemy territory- Huntington Beach. Time to reap the OC.[/quote]
Get out! Get out! Back to the valley with you! :)

Actually, it's alright. I'm headed to Fountain Valley to flip my last MM. Maybe we'll cross paths.

gamecrazy is giving $12 for mm in case anyone is interested. im up to 7 copies of halo 3. heres hoping the $35 tiv holds. got 5 more copies of mm and 2 coj to trade in tomorrow. sure hope the bb around here start selling those amazon gift cards.

Ok, so now I have a 60g PS3. I just wanted to get the credit off their system. I'm probably going to end up returning it for when they get an 80g system in. But I might keep it since I only paid about $210 for it.

If anyone is interested, Moreno Valley BB has 2 copies of Monster Madness, and Moreno Valley East BB has 1 copy.

i traded in a couple of mm. I decided to only trade 1 copy to each local bb and gr around me cause they are starting to give me a hard time when i trade in multiple copies.

[quote name='sasukekun']Ok, so now I have a 60g PS3. I just wanted to get the credit off their system. I'm probably going to end up returning it for when they get an 80g system in. But I might keep it since I only paid about $210 for it.

If anyone is interested, Moreno Valley BB has 2 copies of Monster Madness, and Moreno Valley East BB has 1 copy.[/quote]

Dude, keep the 60 GB if you plan on playing *any* PS2 games on it. Oh, and congrats too!

[quote name='mkernan']Dude, keep the 60 GB if you plan on playing *any* PS2 games on it. Oh, and congrats too![/QUOTE]
The 80g doesnt have ps2 compat.? I thought it was only the 40g that took it out.

i tried to pick up some Beowolf games & i guess some dude hid them all...I saw some red steel so how much does that go for for trade value? Also is the Beowolf for the 360 & PS3 the same value?

[quote name='sasukekun']The 80g doesnt have ps2 compat.? I thought it was only the 40g that took it out.[/quote]

60 GB has full hardware-based BC; 80 GB has inferior software-based, some-games-but-not-others-pending-updates BC.

I just remembered something i heard the manager at best buy say when i bought my games. He asked me if there were any more left on the shelf and when i said yes, I could swear i heard him say "We need to take those off the shelf" to the customer service girl.

I may be wrong, he may have meant something else, but it sounds fishy to me. Like they don't want to have to price match any more copies, so they'll just take them off the shelf until the CC price changes.

[quote name='RandyTsai']make sure you guys save 1 of each of the clearance games and return them to best buy on christmas for bb store credit.[/quote]

Uh, why?
Return with no receipt?
Get full credit?
Seriously,is that the plan?

[quote name='RandyTsai']make sure you guys save 1 of each of the clearance games and return them to best buy on christmas for bb store credit.[/quote]

That's called "return fraud" and is illegal.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']That's called "return fraud" and is illegal.[/QUOTE]

I call it getting even for all the bs they put us through during the year.

[quote name='RandyTsai']I call it getting even for all the bs they put us through during the year.[/quote]

Its still illegal and not allowed on these forums. Honestly, with as long as you've been on these boards, you should know better.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Its still illegal and not allowed on these forums. Honestly, with as long as you've been on these boards, you should know better.[/QUOTE]

so its legal when they bait and switch, or not allow you to pricematch by taking games off shelves when they have it in stock.

If anybody around the Denver area finds a Blockbuster that has these Amazon gift cards let me know!!

The ones at Monaco & Coalfax and Havana & Mississippi do not offer any other form of gift card besides Blockbuster.

Yea anyone else see those Amazon gift cards that some mentioned buying at Blockbuster yesterday? I didn't see any at the stores I visited today plus I just called a few bigger stores in the area and nobody has um. I did see these $50 combo cards online that i've not seen in stores: $35 restaurant $15 movie http://www.bbincentives.com/moshow.php

[quote name='$hady']Yea anyone else see those Amazon gift cards that some mentioned buying at Blockbuster yesterday? I didn't see any at the stores I visited today plus I just called a few bigger stores in the area and nobody has um. I did see these $50 combo cards online that i've not seen in stores: $35 restaurant $15 movie http://www.bbincentives.com/moshow.php[/quote]

I saw those a little while ago.... would be nice to get a few in-store. I've had a hankering for Chili's lately.

Anyone know what day GS's Trade in values drop? I don't wanna buy a Halo 3 tomorrow & then it goes down tuesday when the 30% coupon goes into affect.

Well i found out what the trade in value for MM and call of juarez is at GS, believe it was $8 for MM and $6 for call of juarez. So no good at GS.

[quote name='Segasonic01']Anyone know what day GS's Trade in values drop? I don't wanna buy a Halo 3 tomorrow & then it goes down tuesday when the 30% coupon goes into affect.[/quote]

Go ask in the GS thread. AFAIK they drop whenever they feel like it.

Also, I PMed the CAG who got the Amazon gc and he said he got it from a store in La Jolla, CA.

Also, I just picked up 3 more Red Steel, 1 CoJ, and a heat of the moment pick up of PW:JFA.

My total kunai'ing list for today comes to:

23 Monster Madness
13 Red Steel
3 Call of Juarez

Picked up all I could afford at the moment: 2 copies of mm (I'm wondering if any of you were ever tempted to keep a copy and boot it up...) and a copy of Madden 06 at a nearby GS and received the expected $28.50x2 + $8 from Gamerush.

Anyone know if the the CC price drops are permanent? I was the only one apparently buying the Flatouts and Combat Elites from them last year, and I wouldn't be surprised if they STILL have copies of Driver:pL; if so, they probably have a months supply of MMs and CoJs...

I also noticed that Gamerush marked down the price of F.E.A.R. for the xbox360 to $20, so I assume the trade-in price would be $12 now (down from $15 from when I traded it in the other week.)

[quote name='nietzsche74']Picked up all I could afford at the moment: 2 copies of mm (I'm wondering if any of you were ever tempted to keep a copy and boot it up...) and a copy of Madden 06 at a nearby GS and received the expected $28.50x2 + $8 from Gamerush.

Anyone know if the the CC price drops are permanent? I was the only one apparently buying the Flatouts and Combat Elites from them last year, and I wouldn't be surprised if they STILL have copies of Driver:pL; if so, they probably have a months supply of MMs and CoJs...

I also noticed that Gamerush marked down the price of F.E.A.R. for the xbox360 to $20, so I assume the trade-in price would be $12 now (down from $15 from when I traded it in the other week.)[/quote]

Nope, these are prices for the week.

[quote name='T3ntman']should i pick up a couple of beowulfs, arent they supposed to change tiv on tuesday.[/quote]

YMMV on getting a store to accept them as trades since they can see the price they sell it for used right next to the "buy-back" price. Look for the dumbest employee and go for it, if you must.

I'm going to open a trade account with my mom and put my name as a verified user of her account (so I can flip 6 copies of each game a day). That way I can kunai all my MM by Wednesday (and kunai as many as possible before a possible drop).

[quote name='T3ntman']should i pick up a couple of beowulfs, arent they supposed to change tiv on tuesday.[/quote]

depends on your blockbuster. Mine won't take beowulf anymore since the prices dropped and their systems still give $36

[quote name='djkunai']YMMV on getting a store to accept them as trades since they can see the price they sell it for used right next to the "buy-back" price. Look for the dumbest employee and go for it, if you must.

I'm going to open a trade account with my mom and put my name as a verified user of her account (so I can flip 6 copies of each game a day). That way I can kunai all my MM by Wednesday (and kunai as many as possible before a possible drop).[/quote]

My blockbusters keep telling me that you have to be the main account holder to trade in items.

[quote name='djkunai']YMMV on getting a store to accept them as trades since they can see the price they sell it for used right next to the "buy-back" price. Look for the dumbest employee and go for it, if you must.

I'm going to open a trade account with my mom and put my name as a verified user of her account (so I can flip 6 copies of each game a day). That way I can kunai all my MM by Wednesday (and kunai as many as possible before a possible drop).[/quote]

May I ask how you do that(Trade Account). Im 17, but do not have an account card for renting.. do you need one to trade in your games.

[quote name='V-G']Whoever said they got 133 for 2 MM and 1 BW lied. I only got 127 for 2 BW and 2 MM.[/QUOTE]

Some states they give you the tax of your trade-ins so he might have gotten that much if he lives in a state like that.

No Monster Madness or Juarez for me. I'm getting a little tired of the selfish little bastards who clear out a title from every fucking store in a 30 mile radius. I think I will call the GR/BB DM myself to get you banned if this greedy BS continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back