The - PERSONA 3 / PERSONA 3 FES - Thread! (FES OUT NOW! $30!)

[quote name='io']OK, OK...

This definitely falls in a grey area and I can see both sides. Normally, of course, an MSRP "deal" does not belong here, but this situation is unique.

This is fairly big news and could potentially save some CAGs big bucks (or at least save them from spending the $50 for P3 at Kmart or those few other places they can still be found). I just bought a couple of P3's at Fred Meyer a few weeks ago for $45 ($50 - 10% off coupon). I was going to keep one sealed and open the other. Now I *may* still keep one sealed, but for sure return the other. In the mean time I better get in my preorder at Gamestop for FES.

So, my decision is to allow this thread to stay here for now. But after a day or two I will probably move it to the PS2 forum. Does that sort of make everyone happy? :lol:[/quote]

yeah man, i appreciate it...i've been in classes all day, and i am astounded at the amount of replies...thanks for keeping it up!

Sorry I don't have time to read all these pages but has Atlus say anything about the bonus in P3? Will it come with artbook and soundtrack? If it doesn't then I'll probably keep P3.

[quote name='Slayzz']Sorry I don't have time to read all these pages but has Atlus say anything about the bonus in P3? Will it come with artbook and soundtrack? If it doesn't then I'll probably keep P3.[/quote]
They didn't mention it, but for $30 for what was a full priced game in Japan, assume that we aren't getting any extras.

[quote name='breakingcustoms']yeah man, i appreciate it...i've been in classes all day, and i am astounded at the amount of replies...thanks for keeping it up![/QUOTE]

When you get a chance I'd appreciate it if you could put the info posted mid-thread (with links to the original sources) that answers some of the recurring questions. Ie, that this *will* include the full P3 (which is not at all evident from the originally quoted email - that makes it sound like it could just be the expansion in standalone format). And that it will *not* include the art book and soundtrack (thus preserving some smidgen of value to those who shelled out for the original P3).

[quote name='cokerules']if this is expansion pack then of course u will need the 1st disc... on pc if u get expansion it wont work without original. but i already have 1st one so i dont have no reason to fear.[/QUOTE]

read the email from atlus, it states the game is stand alone

[quote name='Gamefaqs']> Data Conversion
From Original P3 to FES (to Episode Yourself only, Episode Aegis is independent story mode)
- All stats - Academic, Charm and Courage
- S-link max items
- All the Mix-Raid lists.
- List of Compendium (all skills and levels will be reset to Base)
That is all. Nothing else.

> Hard Mode
Increased Damage taking from Shadows.
Even normal encounter can give Enemy Advantage.
Lower the chance on Escape.
Cost for bring out Persona from Compendium is quadrupled (x4).

> Tartarus
No matter when, you and your member will get tired, even in day before Full-moon. But they will keep stay in day before Full-moon day - tired or not.
No matter what condition is (tired or sick) you and your member will be Normal at full-moon day.
Extra BGM in dungeon (4 of them, while in dungeon ask Fuuka - not Mituru - to change them)

> Day time
Class room questions and tests are changed.
Extra dialogs and events with Dorm members.
Some people have moved to different place in town and school.
After 24th AUG you can ask out your member for movie.
Now you can play in Game Panic (arcade) in mall for these benefits.
- Punching Machine for STR (equipped Persona only)
- Fortune telling for INT (same as STR)
- Whack-a-mole for DEC (same as above)
- Quiz game for Academic
- Print Club for Charm
- Virtual Horror for Courage.
> Extra function in Shrine, but it will use up whole afternoon.
Offertory will gives you points no matter, but you get more when you are in Great! condition.
Fortune pick will increase the S-link points.
Small shrine can grant you one benefits (some benefits are for that night only).
- No longer gets tired
- Double the money you have.
- Extra money (1.2 to 1.5) to your pocket.
- Triple the money you have.
- Increased chance on item drops from Shadows.
- Extra EXP gain.
- More Fusion accidents.
- Extra money from Coin cards.
- Increase the one of member's stat (amount is 1 to 4, only one stat will rise per pray)
- Change item to something.

> S-links
Even you have Maxed out, now you can ask them out again (but for nothing).
You can now choose who to go out with at summer festival in Shrine and Christmas (if you have S-link)
S-link for Aigis (Aeon)
Devil S-link have moved to Night (in mall)
All S-links have less points to move to next rank.

> Persona
Some skills and level have changed. (different in Episode Yourself and Episode Aegis as well)
Temperance max Persona is now Yurung (changed from Byakko)
Demon style Lucifer is added, original Lucifer is now Lucifel (sp?)
New Persona (23 total - name spelling might be wrong..)
- Fool Slime
- Magician Kahak
- H. Priestess High Pixie
- Empress Yakshini
- Hierophant Seasor
- Hierophant Tote
- Lovers Alp
- Hermit Mothman
- Hermit Kwanda
- Fortune Empusa
- Strength Lakshasa
- Hanged_Man Hekatoncail
- Hanged_Man Hells Angel
- Death Ghoul
- Temperance Yurung
- Devil Pazuzu
- Tower Mara
- Star Kartikeya
- Moon Baal-Zebul
- Sun Spalna
- Judgment Lucifer (demon form)
- Aeon Nidhog
- Aeon Atabak

> Weapon Fusion
Now you can use your Persona to fuse weapon.
Some Persona will become special weapon (like Judgment Lucifer > Holy Grail Lucifer)

> Equipments
New equipments in Yourself as well as Aegis story.
Costume change for specific ones (e.g High-cut armor etc.)
Some Aegis equipments have name changed.

> Quest
Total quests are now 99 (from 55)
You can date with Elizabeth as a part of request (with voice) - which does not spend time.
Once you have done all the dating request, you can ask her out any time.

> Dorm
You can check out secret camera - which will record event at specific day - in Operation room.
Also you can take Koromaru to walk.[/quote]

There's some more info for the differences between FES and the original P3.

[quote name='Brian9824']The rules of the site state that the video game deals forum is only for specific deals.[/quote]

It depends on your definition of "deal." IMO, something can be MSRP and still a "deal" if it's going for 60+ currently on ebay and is now getting a re-release for 30. That's a deal in my mind, even if the re-release's MSRP is 30.

The whole goal of this site is to point people to good games (or even bad games) at good prices. If it's borderline, why waste your time saying it should/shouldn't be in this forum? CAG has forum moderators to do that.

Thanks, OP! I for one consider this a steal of deal, and I can't wait to get my hands on this. Now I don't feel so bad for not having found a decent copy. I'm glad I waited a little while after all. :)

[quote name='io']When you get a chance I'd appreciate it if you could put the info posted mid-thread (with links to the original sources) that answers some of the recurring questions. Ie, that this *will* include the full P3 (which is not at all evident from the originally quoted email - that makes it sound like it could just be the expansion in standalone format). And that it will *not* include the art book and soundtrack (thus preserving some smidgen of value to those who shelled out for the original P3).[/quote]

i added a few notes on what you said, plus the differences list

Well I'll probably pick this up... I really like the SMT series of games and I annihilated Persona 3 over the summer, but I wouldn't mind going back and doing some extra content; though I wish Persona 3 was a little tougher, the game got ridiculously easy at the end if you got certain personas (i.e. I killed the final boss with a single attack).

BTW does anyone know how the bonus content ties into the actual game... like could I just use one of my end game saves and do the additional content; or is it more likely that I would have to +game back to near the end in order to play the extra content?

[quote name='icebeast']Well I'll probably pick this up... I really like the SMT series of games and I annihilated Persona 3 over the summer, but I wouldn't mind going back and doing some extra content; though I wish Persona 3 was a little tougher, the game got ridiculously easy at the end if you got certain personas (i.e. I killed the final boss with a single attack).

BTW does anyone know how the bonus content ties into the actual game... like could I just use one of my end game saves and do the additional content; or is it more likely that I would have to +game back to near the end in order to play the extra content?[/quote]

You can load your Persona 3 data but will start over from the beginning. Your levels will reset and you can play the new Hard Mode. Some stuff carries over but I don't remember specifically what does.

[quote name='io']OK, OK...

This definitely falls in a grey area and I can see both sides. Normally, of course, an MSRP "deal" does not belong here, but this situation is unique.

This is fairly big news and could potentially save some CAGs big bucks (or at least save them from spending the $50 for P3 at Kmart or those few other places they can still be found). I just bought a couple of P3's at Fred Meyer a few weeks ago for $45 ($50 - 10% off coupon). I was going to keep one sealed and open the other. Now I *may* still keep one sealed, but for sure return the other. In the mean time I better get in my preorder at Gamestop for FES.

So, my decision is to allow this thread to stay here for now. But after a day or two I will probably move it to the PS2 forum. Does that sort of make everyone happy? :lol:[/quote]

That seems like a good compromise. Or even better when its available on amazon we can sticky it and put CAG referal link ;)

[quote name='icebeast']Well I'll probably pick this up... I really like the SMT series of games and I annihilated Persona 3 over the summer, but I wouldn't mind going back and doing some extra content; though I wish Persona 3 was a little tougher, the game got ridiculously easy at the end if you got certain personas (i.e. I killed the final boss with a single attack).

BTW does anyone know how the bonus content ties into the actual game... like could I just use one of my end game saves and do the additional content; or is it more likely that I would have to +game back to near the end in order to play the extra content?[/quote]

This is why I kinda wanted all the threads merged. Can the OP sticky this in first post please
1. What is Persona 3 FES?

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES is an enhanced edition of the dating sim/dungeon crawler entry in the Persona series, which originally came out in the U.S. in August 2007. It was created by Atlus Japan as an extra for fans of the first game, since the reception was so positive both here and overseas.

2. What's new in FES?

Persona 3 FES is divided into two parts. The first and longest part is The Journey, which consists of an enhanced version of the same game previously released. The enhancements include a new Hard Mode selectable from the start, new Personas, a new Social Link with new Arcana, new classroom pop quizzes, a new Weapon Fusion system, over 50 new requests from Elizabeth, new nighttime events with Koromaru, and a few secrets as well.

The second part is The Answer, an entirely new chapter in Persona 3 that deals with the events after The Journey's ending. In The Answer, you play as Aigis to solve the mystery of "time skips" that have trapped the S.E.E.S. members in the same repeating day. The Answer gives players who have completed the Journey a formidable challenge: conquer hundreds of new floors filled with enemies and bosses harder than anything in The Journey's Hard Mode, and do it all without the benefit of The Journey's Persona compendium.

3. I heard there were two versions of FES in Japan. What's the difference between them?

As far as content goes, there was no difference between the Full and Append versions of P3 FES in Japan. Both contained the entirety of The Journey (known there as Episode Yourself) and The Answer (called Episode Aigis). The only difference was that the Append version was sold at a lower price, since it required players to insert a copy of the original Persona 3 before booting the enhanced game.

4. Which version are we getting here?

The only version being released in the U.S. on April 22 is the Full version of Persona 3 FES. It will contain all of the content in both The Journey and the Answer, and it will not require ownership of the original release of Persona 3.

5. How much is the Full version here?

Persona 3 FES will carry an MSRP of $29.99.

5a. I already own Persona 3 and I don't think it's fair that new players get to have FES for $29.99.

That's not really a question, but... Atlus USA does appreciate your support of the original version of P3, but multiple releases of the same game are unfeasible for various reasons in the U.S. For this reason, we have priced the sole version of FES at roughly what the Append disc would have cost. This way, players who already own the original release don't have to pay the same amount again for the extra content. In addition to having had the chance to experience Persona 3 much earlier than newcomers to the game, they will also have the Special Edition's art book and soundtrack, which will not be included in the release of P3 FES.

In addition, this pricing structure is increasingly the accepted method for enhanced re-releases. See also Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams, Virtua Fighter 4 Remix, Ninja Gaiden Black, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition, and so on, all of which were released at $19.99 or $29.99 price points.

7. Is the US version of Persona 3 FES censored in any way? I heard you might have to remove... that.

Longtime fans of the Shin Megami Tensei series will be happy to hear that P3 FES is completely uncensored, including... that, which appears in its full "glory" for the first time in the US in this game.

8. Can I continue my game of Persona 3 in Persona 3 FES?

Not really. The Journey section of P3 FES is meant to be played from the start so that you can experience all the new content. If you're in the middle of October in Persona 3, you cannot load that save into Persona 3 FES and pick up in the middle of October in The Journey; you must start a new game at level 1. However, you will be able to load some things from your Persona 3 save into FES. These are:

-Your Academics, Charm, and Courage rankings
-Your discovered Fusion Spells list
-Any key items you possess that unlock Persona fusions
-Your Persona compendium (However, the Personas in your compendium will be reset to their base level, stats, and skills)

Also with any luck i'm gonna have Vic Mignona the voice actor who does Junpei's voice sign my copy of Persona 3 in 2 weeks. I think i'll just be stuck removing plastic seal because he can't sign on plastic. It's a shame I won't have FES for him to sign yet.

How is this not a deal, yet the Xbox 360 Forza 2/MUA thread is? My guess is the ones complaining that this is not a deal are the ones who currently own the game, and realize the value of their copy will decrease. Glad I waited on picking up P3.

[quote name='Brian9824']So when the thread is moved later today you'll make a post on CAG apologizing to everyone and admitting you are wrong and don't know what your talking about?[/quote]

Not that i agree or disagree with this as a deal. But Im sure its later now, right?

Bustinchop button pressed rappidly.

In all seriousness though, the VG deals threads always hit the most traffic and this is a stellar fucking deal so Im glad its here, though we have been talking about this for about a week in the countdown thread.

[quote name='Oswald9599']Not that i agree or disagree with this as a deal. But Im sure its later now, right?

Bustinchop button pressed rappidly.[/quote]

In all seriousness though, the VG deals threads always hit the most traffic and this is a stellar fucking deal so Im glad its hear, though we have been talking about this for about a week in the countdown thread.

[quote name='Coper3000']How is this not a deal, yet the Xbox 360 Forza 2/MUA thread is? My guess is the ones complaining that this is not a deal are the ones who currently own the game, and realize the value of their copy will decrease. Glad I waited on picking up P3.[/quote]

not i

i own p3 and will be picking up fes :bouncy:

[quote name='Coper3000']How is this not a deal, yet the Xbox 360 Forza 2/MUA thread is? My guess is the ones complaining that this is not a deal are the ones who currently own the game, and realize the value of their copy will decrease. Glad I waited on picking up P3.[/quote]

I own P3 and am going to be getting it signed by one of the voice actors who did the game AND I pre-ordered FES yesterday before it was even announced lol.

I will have a MUCH easier time in P3 with my save data plus i supported Atlus and have the soundtrack which is awesome.

[quote name='silent h3ro']It usually pays to wait.[/QUOTE]

SMT Nocturne laughs heartily at this comment ;). (And at me, too, as I passed it up hoping to get it cheaper. So of course I buy P3 at full price because of my lesson learned from Nocturne :roll:).

So basically its not worth paying $80 for persona 3 anymore. bye bye ebay values.

This is AWESOME news and I am going to pre-order this once it reachs amazon.com (free shipping and no tax).

[quote name='keithp']Don't you get to, umm, how to put this..."make the beast with two backs" with the girl you date eventually? So FES may actually show the deed in all it's glory?

I'm not that far in the game so I'm just speculating. Anyone play the FES import? MarkMan?[/quote]

FES does the same thing that P3 does in this aspect - the game fades out and the deed is insinuated (not even stated, from what I've seen).

[quote name='Monsta Mack']
This is AWESOME news and I am going to pre-order this once it reachs amazon.com (free shipping and no tax).[/quote]

my thoughts exactly.

nice avatar btw, house rules

Awesome, I was so hoping this was what that Atlus timer was referring to. I've already got my preorder in on EBGames.com. I was thinking about waiting for Amazon, but their shipping is slow, well actually getting the order shipped is what's really so slow. $1.80 more with EBGames but hey, on this I was willing to pay $50, so whatever.

I'm still keeping my original P3 too, for nostalgia if nothing else. :p

Well, I *was* going to move this thread tomorrow, but it appears someone else did it already (and merged it with an existing thread to boot - yikes!).

Just for kicks I checked out the eBay values - they don't seem to be affected one bit my this news yet. They still sell for $55-$70 which is the same as it has been for weeks.

Good grief, I never want to have threads merged like that again.

To take things *somewhat* back on topic, the official website has a few videos up. If you select 'character', then 'aegis', then 'evoke', you can see a gameplay clip of Mara. As had been mentioned previously, this is most likely the "it" described in Atlus's FAQ.

[quote name='io']Well, I *was* going to move this thread tomorrow, but it appears someone else did it already (and merged it with an existing thread to boot - yikes!).

Just for kicks I checked out the eBay values - they don't seem to be affected one bit my this news yet. They still sell for $55-$70 which is the same as it has been for weeks.[/QUOTE]

a lot of bids were placed before the announcement. the price on amazon drop like $20

my ebay auction was seriously fucked!!!! how unlucky can i be that FES was announced today? It sold for 52 bucks!!!!!! Complete too. so sad.

[quote name='io']Well, I *was* going to move this thread tomorrow, but it appears someone else did it already (and merged it with an existing thread to boot - yikes!).

Just for kicks I checked out the eBay values - they don't seem to be affected one bit my this news yet. They still sell for $55-$70 which is the same as it has been for weeks.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing word of this hasn't spread yet... I don't see it on any major gaming site.

[quote name='sparklecopy']my ebay auction was seriously fucked!!!! how unlucky can i be that FES was announced today? It sold for 52 bucks!!!!!! Complete too. so sad.[/QUOTE]

That's actually pretty normal for a used copy I think.

I believe I will.
Return the new copies back
Take advantage of the price crash and buy it used for the sake of the goodies (Im a sucker for soundtracks, unless i can preview them first. Seriously, I used to fall asleep to FFX music, its so calm)
And finally play fes :)

Hell Im glad P3's price is droping, I want more people to see the awesomeness of the game. Though fes has it all, I still like having my art book and ST. Not to mention that once Fes hits, and we all know its going to be a limited release, and is out for a while both Fes and P3 will gain in price again.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm guessing word of this hasn't spread yet... I don't see it on any major gaming site.
[/QUOTE]

It was on Kotaku, and a lot of sites picked up the initial speculation when the countdown was posted. It's sufficiently out there.

> Dorm
You can check out secret camera - which will record event at specific day - in Operation room.

^ ohoy, Mitsuru and Akihiko are a little closer then they let on.
WHOOO CAGS, ITS BUSINESS TIME........

In all seriousness though. Anybody play the JP release and know the benefit to this? Opening up a new social link perhaps.

[quote name='xeno']So persona 3 FES is Persona 3 + extra stuff?[/quote]

Persona 3 FES = Persona 3 + extra contents - art book - soundtrack CD

[quote name='eau']Given:
Persona 3 FES = Persona 3 + extra contents
extra contents = second chapter + director's cut additions

Recall:
Persona 3 = First chapter + artbook + soundtrack
art book + soundtrack = does not enhance gaming experience
does not enhance experience = unnecessary features

Therefore:
Persona 3 FES = First Chapter + second chapter + director's cut additions - (art book + soundtrack)

Which simplifies to:
Persona 3 FES = First Chapter + second chapter + director's cut additions - unnecessary features

q.e.d.
[/QUOTE]

fixed...?
my concentration is showing...

Just because the soundtrack and art book aren't necessary, they are still nice additions, especially if you are really into the SMT games. They are nice to add to a collection.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Just because the soundtrack and art book aren't necessary, they are still nice additions, especially if you are really into the SMT games. They are nice to add to a collection.[/QUOTE]

I always love having the artbook and/or soundtrack to a game... but with FES coming out, it basically comes down to paying $50 for the artbook and soundtrack which is a bit of an overkill IMO.

And yeah, anybody know where else I can preorder this? Gamestop has botched up preorders before... and I already tried preordering it there with no luck.

[quote name='Vinny']I always love having the artbook and/or soundtrack to a game... but with FES coming out, it basically comes down to paying $50 for the artbook and soundtrack which is a bit of an overkill IMO.

And yeah, anybody know where else I can preorder this? Gamestop has botched up preorders before... and I already tried preordering it there with no luck.[/quote]

The official announcement mentioned that pre-orders shouldn't start until March 1st.

EDIT: They updated the forum F.A.Q. with a few extra things:

9. Do I need to finish Persona 3 to import my data into P3 FES?

No. Whether you have a clear save or are only partway into the first month, Persona 3 FES can read the aforementioned data and import it into your new file of The Journey.

10. Do I need to finish the Journey before I can play The Answer?

No, The Answer segment is available from the start of the game. Although if you have not played Persona 3 before, we highly recommend you start with The Journey, since The Answer assumes you know all of the major plot points revealed in The Journey.

11. Do I need to finish the Journey before I can play on Hard Mode?

No. Hard Mode in the Journey is available from the start of the game. Although if you have not played Persona 3 before, we highly recommend you do not start on Hard Mode. (The Answer has no difficulty selection, though its general level of difficulty is comparable to The Journey's Hard Mode.)

bread's done
Back