The - PERSONA 3 / PERSONA 3 FES - Thread! (FES OUT NOW! $30!)

[quote name='darkcecil32']^Or take a long break or two from the game. I put in about 50 hours and was in the 170's in Tartarus when I just got sick of the level grinding. I haven't played the game in about a month, but I do intend to finish the game before the summer ends.

I wish that as you get to higher floors, it doesn't practically demand that you have to level up your characters to prevent being wiped out. I haven't died in a long time after accepting the fact that I have to level grind, something which I usually vehemently oppose. I died a couple times early in the game as I ascended the tower and just gave up trying to plow my way through severely under leveled, ala what I do in most RPGs. Anything that doesn't involve level grinding with this game, however, kicks ass.[/quote]

Honestly your persona are much more important then your levels. With the right persona and fused skills you won't have any issue. Once you unlock Monad grinding disapears as one battle can net you 2-3 levels of xp based on what cards you get.

But having multi elemental persona or persona with powerful dark/light attacks are a must. I was able to win so many battles using Thanatos w/ die for me and mudo boost.

[quote name='Brian9824']Honestly your persona are much more important then your levels. With the right persona and fused skills you won't have any issue. Once you unlock Monad grinding disapears as one battle can net you 2-3 levels of xp based on what cards you get.[/quote]

I totally agree with this. Nothings more important that your Persona's. Sometimes I would spend 30 minutes at a time fusing Personas just so I could get them with all the skills I wanted them to have. Plus I spammed the Growth skills on most of my Persona. This helps them level up when you're not using them.

I knew somebody that was using Orpheus when his character was at level 20. He was having a hard time.

[quote name='Brian9824']Honestly your persona are much more important then your levels. With the right persona and fused skills you won't have any issue. [/quote]

Too true. Persona are the best stat-boosters available. I didn't really realize it myself until the second play through. At level 99, I wasn't taking off nearly as much damage as I had been at the end of the game. As soon as I purchased a few Persona, I was back to where I should be in terms of attack power and defense.

Yeah you have to remember the only stats determined by level are your health and SP.

All your other stats are derived from your persona currently equipped.

My main persona towards the end of the game was Thanatos with die for me, mudo boost, and null light so i couldn't be 1 shotted. Once i actually got into battle and knew what i was dealing with I could swap him out knowing my enemies couldnt use hama/mudo skills.

An important thing to consider in P3 is its often worth it to use your strongest persona in a fusion just to resummon him back as soon as your done. For most of the game i'd put all my stat boosting items on a single persona w/ growth 2 and then fuse him to make others, and then turn around and resummon him. This way the stat boosts transfered to ALL my persona.

The downside being I was broke the entire game and did have to grind a little for money but i took it to the extreme with having persona w/ maxed stats.

At the end of the game I had so many badass Persona's. My Thanatos was very similar to yours. I also had Beelzebub (fly) who was a spell monster, Lucifer, Satan, Metatron, and probably some more I can't remember.

I think I've reached the point where I'm going to quickly lose interest on this game (roughly 20 hours in).

Grinding to get better equipment/Personas/etc is going to be bothersome. It would be a chore in any other game, and this one is no different. The Social Link stuff is fine, but I don't foresee it getting any more interesting than it is now.

It's really formulaic at this point - go out with someone, go to Tartarus, study, use the restroom, study some more, sing Karaoke....

At least with another RPG I get to see new environments and such, instead of a remix of one I've looked at for 9 hours, only more demonic.

I guess I'll play it a bit more and see if it gives me anything honestly interesting to do. Otherwise, I'd rather just watch all the cutscenes somehow and consider myself "done" with the game.

Dungeon Crawler is a title that sums up this game pretty good. The random dungeons do get very tedious, and I would really have to be in the mood for level grinding. Try to play through until you go on the class trip to the hot spring. It's a little more than halfway trough but it's probably the most entertaining part of the story.

Also Strell, you really don't like the game? The settings are indeed similar, but I suppose if you don't like the concept of the game (sim dates, dungeon crawler, etc.) then I'm not sure if it's worth playing then.

^ Really, felt like at the 60% mark for me. Storywise you're probably right. Maybe I feel like that because I level grinded so much near the end plus trying to finish up Elizibeth's requests and trying to get all the badass personas. All that proabably took huge chunk of time.

[quote name='Moxio']Also Strell, you really don't like the game? The settings are indeed similar, but I suppose if you don't like the concept of the game (sim dates, dungeon crawler, etc.) then I'm not sure if it's worth playing then.[/QUOTE]

I hated the opening to the game - the cheesy dialog, the character portraits were actually annoying, and I found the music irritating. That was the first two hours of play.

Once you actually start doing stuff, it all falls together - the art is more likable, the music actually starts to feel in place/good, the gameplay is pretty standard but well enough, and the sim elements reach a point where you actually get them.

But now I'm to the point where I'm thinking that the only honest reasons for playing are 1) to finish the story, and 2) to get more powerful. Option two wouldn't hold water for me in any game, which is one of the major reasons I never felt Diablo 2 was as good as so many people make it out to be (plus I was burned out from being in the closed beta anyway).

That leaves option 1. Well, the new support character is pretty annoying (Fuuka), and the new social club (art) isn't all that great either. The girlfriends are kind of a nice touch, but not compelling. I've basically maxed out Kenji's SL, so that's no longer important. About to do the same with Kaz's.

Since this is a JRPG, I can probably accurately discern what the rest of the story is, which I'd imagine doesn't really throw me any great curveballs. I'm sure there's an uber demon out there I've got to kill, and then everything becomes happy again. And if that doesn't happen in the Journey, then it might happen in the Answer. And even then if it doesn't happen, then oh well, I guess Persona 4 will do it.

It's not necessarily the game's fault, it's the genre's fault. I'm not interested in fighting variations of the same enemies (flying jellyfish, slimes, oddball Arcana/Tarot card monsters, animal-themed demons) on the same floors in the same area over and over and over to get a sword that adds +2 to my attack but is just a different shade of gray.

I mean, once you've explored all the locales and done a good portion or the sim-work, then that's really all there is outside of grinding up floors.

Like I said, I'll probably put in a good 10 more hours or so. But unless the game really gives me some good motivation and impetus to keep going, I'll probably stop. I've got plenty of other games to play.

I give up!!!

Epside Aigis is too hard!!! I got stuck on
Neo Minotaur! the 2nd boss of the 5th door

so I jus ended up watching the rest of the game on youtube... the plot's pretty damn cool actually, and some of the new music towards the end is fantastic!!

I'm getting too old for games... I miss the younger jekki :cry:

[quote name='JEKKI']I give up!!!

Epside Aigis is too hard!!! I got stuck on
Neo Minotaur! the 2nd boss of the 5th door

so I jus ended up watching the rest of the game on youtube... the plot's pretty damn cool actually, and some of the new music towards the end is fantastic!!

I'm getting too old for games... I miss the younger jekki :cry:[/QUOTE]

u mean your avatar?
(OMG when i quote you i can see the spoiler)

[quote name='Strell']I hated the opening to the game - the cheesy dialog, the character portraits were actually annoying, and I found the music irritating. That was the first two hours of play.

Once you actually start doing stuff, it all falls together - the art is more likable, the music actually starts to feel in place/good, the gameplay is pretty standard but well enough, and the sim elements reach a point where you actually get them.

But now I'm to the point where I'm thinking that the only honest reasons for playing are 1) to finish the story, and 2) to get more powerful. Option two wouldn't hold water for me in any game, which is one of the major reasons I never felt Diablo 2 was as good as so many people make it out to be (plus I was burned out from being in the closed beta anyway).

That leaves option 1. Well, the new support character is pretty annoying (Fuuka), and the new social club (art) isn't all that great either. The girlfriends are kind of a nice touch, but not compelling. I've basically maxed out Kenji's SL, so that's no longer important. About to do the same with Kaz's.

Since this is a JRPG, I can probably accurately discern what the rest of the story is, which I'd imagine doesn't really throw me any great curveballs. I'm sure there's an uber demon out there I've got to kill, and then everything becomes happy again. And if that doesn't happen in the Journey, then it might happen in the Answer. And even then if it doesn't happen, then oh well, I guess Persona 4 will do it.

It's not necessarily the game's fault, it's the genre's fault. I'm not interested in fighting variations of the same enemies (flying jellyfish, slimes, oddball Arcana/Tarot card monsters, animal-themed demons) on the same floors in the same area over and over and over to get a sword that adds +2 to my attack but is just a different shade of gray.

I mean, once you've explored all the locales and done a good portion or the sim-work, then that's really all there is outside of grinding up floors.

Like I said, I'll probably put in a good 10 more hours or so. But unless the game really gives me some good motivation and impetus to keep going, I'll probably stop. I've got plenty of other games to play.[/quote]

Not quite correct on the ending. In fact their is a massive twist available that no other game has ever done before. If your curious you can click here

You can basically say Screw it and have your memories erased and live happily for a few more months unaware the world around you is coming to an end, or choose to not give in and attempt to do what is supposed to be impossible.

Also FYI the ending is NOT a happy one persay, and it just gets more depressing in episode Aigis when you find out more details of what happened.

Ok
So I want this game.
Its the first thing I am gonna buy with my first pay check.
Kmart apparently as a YMMV drop for the "Special Edition" for $19
Should I get it or pony up for FES?

Do you want an updated version with a new episode and items/personas/etc. or a stripped version with knick knacks? If you have enough buy both and keep one for collecting.

man, scrolling text makes me sleepy as fuck!!!! Phoenix wright makes me sleep and now Persona 3. better than Tylenol PM in my opinion. Good story though. It's just I can't play for more than 40 minutes without my eyelids getting heavy.

Anyone know what level my characters should be before I battle the first boss? I only have one day left, and I would like to be prepared.

[quote name='Zache']Anyone know what level my characters should be before I battle the first boss? I only have one day left, and I would like to be prepared.[/QUOTE]

Technically you can train all night before the boss just in case.

Also you'll soon realize that bosses are not defeated by level, but by tactics.

[quote name='Moxio']Technically you can train all night before the boss just in case.

Also you'll soon realize that bosses are not defeated by level, but by tactics.[/quote]
I've been doing that, it's just that I would not like to over level, because that takes away from the experience.

[quote name='Zache']Anyone know what level my characters should be before I battle the first boss? I only have one day left, and I would like to be prepared.[/quote]

Like i've said before its more about the persona then the levels. You could be at lvl 100 and if you had crappy persona you'd die.

I hope no one's asked this before but I'm about 20+ hours through the game and I love it...! but something really strange happened to me, and I don't know if I want to go back to an older save...

so I'm looking at Yukari's equipment at the police shop and she's back to the short bow... I had her using the Toy Bow before. and now it's completely disappeared. Does Toy Bow have a limited use amount or something? The only other thing I can imagine is she had fallen unconscious in Tartarus and I went to the next level without her... does that make her lose her weapon?

OK so now the question is, is it possible for me to get another one?!

[quote name='psychofish']I hope no one's asked this before but I'm about 20+ hours through the game and I love it...! but something really strange happened to me, and I don't know if I want to go back to an older save...

so I'm looking at Yukari's equipment at the police shop and she's back to the short bow... I had her using the Toy Bow before. and now it's completely disappeared. Does Toy Bow have a limited use amount or something? The only other thing I can imagine is she had fallen unconscious in Tartarus and I went to the next level without her... does that make her lose her weapon?

OK so now the question is, is it possible for me to get another one?![/quote]

That sounds strange, but I wouldn't worry about it, you get new weapons all the time fairly easily, both from chests and cards, and I think I remember toy bows being fairly common.

Occasionally characters change their own equipment, but only for something better and they give back whatever they were using.

hey you guys are right! Yukari gave me back the Toy Bow when I talked to her in Tartarus. Sucks, she'd prefer to use a crappy Short Bow over the Toy Bow.... :(

[quote name='Moxio']Technically you can train all night before the boss just in case.

Also you'll soon realize that bosses are not defeated by level, but by tactics.[/quote]
meh
funny, i stopped playing FES in the same spot i stopped playing P3: that stupid table on floor 170 something.

why?
i need to level saki mitama, which has mediarama and fire resist. i almost never level persona. *sigh*

[quote name='psychofish']hey you guys are right! Yukari gave me back the Toy Bow when I talked to her in Tartarus. Sucks, she'd prefer to use a crappy Short Bow over the Toy Bow.... :([/QUOTE]
I think if you give her the Toy Bow back, she'll equip it again, but I can't say for sure.

I think if you give her the Toy Bow back, she'll equip it again, but I can't say for sure.

Yeah that's true.
I just finished The Journey tonight. I'm looking forward to playing The Answer this week.

Hey guys just need a bit of advice. I'm level 75 right now and I just want to beat "The Journey" already since I past the 100 hour playtime mark. Am I at a high enough level to approach the final boss, or should I level up some more?

[quote name='Ma12kez']Hey guys just need a bit of advice. I'm level 75 right now and I just want to beat "The Journey" already since I past the 100 hour playtime mark. Am I at a high enough level to approach the final boss, or should I level up some more?[/quote]

Nevermind your level. Do you have a good variety of powerful Personas? From what I remember the last boss will change affinity so you're gonna have to hit him with different types of attacks.

So I'm facing the last boss of the game and I'm low on SP so I think to myself, "I'll have Fuuka use oracle!!!" Well that plan backfires as it drops everyone's health to 1. I managed to have Yukari do a Mediadiahran on the team to bring everyone back to full health and beat the boss. Stupid Fuuka.

[quote name='bigl523']So I'm facing the last boss of the game and I'm low on SP so I think to myself, "I'll have Fuuka use oracle!!!" Well that plan backfires as it drops everyone's health to 1. I managed to have Yukari do a Mediadiahran on the team to bring everyone back to full health and beat the boss. Stupid Fuuka.[/QUOTE]

So basically fuuk Fuuka? :D

Out of all the characters in the game she's the one that REALLY gets on my nerves.

[quote name='keithp']So basically fuuk Fuuka? :D

Out of all the characters in the game she's the one that REALLY gets on my nerves.[/QUOTE]

And that uniform makes her look fat too.

Ah who am I kidding. I love all the girls of P3. Except Elizabeth.
She makes me feel dirty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so iv played the past Persona games and easily understood how to use spell combinations. However I do not understand in this game how they work. When I started the game very early in they gave me a combo for healing my whole party involving the main characters Persona. After I fused the other Persona I lost the abilty to do that combo spell which makes sense. However, now after resummoning it I cant perform it anymore even though I have the same spells.

So how do you unlock and use new combination spells? If anyone can give me a quick review I really appreciate it.

[quote name='kainzero']meh
funny, i stopped playing FES in the same spot i stopped playing P3: that stupid table on floor 170 something.

why?
i need to level saki mitama, which has mediarama and fire resist. i almost never level persona. *sigh*[/quote]

I am stuck there too. Thanks for the advice ^_^.

I have questions/concerns about the timeline and progress of this game. Since it is unlike many other RPGs in that it progresses through real time (calendar dates), I am feeling a lot of pressure to advance through the dungeon (tower, in this case) and make sure that I use my after-school and evening time wisely.

What happens if I don't explore Tartarus enough? Is it possible to fail the game after playing tons of hours because it's near the end of the school year and I haven't gotten far enough into Tartarus? I feel like I have to go almost every other night (when possible).

Also, having so many after-school commitments is tough; I'm one of those people who used to use tons of bookmarks in Choose Your Own Adventure books so that I could make sure I took every branching path. I feel like I'm missing so much stuff when I have to choose between Kendo class, hanging out with Kenji, and Student Council (plus however many other things I eventually get into). How do you guys balance all that stuff?

Please try to keep answers/advice spoiler-free, as I'm only at May 6th. Thanks!

[quote name='Backlash']I have questions/concerns about the timeline and progress of this game. Since it is unlike many other RPGs in that it progresses through real time (calendar dates), I am feeling a lot of pressure to advance through the dungeon (tower, in this case) and make sure that I use my after-school and evening time wisely.

What happens if I don't explore Tartarus enough? Is it possible to fail the game after playing tons of hours because it's near the end of the school year and I haven't gotten far enough into Tartarus? I feel like I have to go almost every other night (when possible).

Also, having so many after-school commitments is tough; I'm one of those people who used to use tons of bookmarks in Choose Your Own Adventure books so that I could make sure I took every branching path. I feel like I'm missing so much stuff when I have to choose between Kendo class, hanging out with Kenji, and Student Council (plus however many other things I eventually get into). How do you guys balance all that stuff?

Please try to keep answers/advice spoiler-free, as I'm only at May 6th. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Dont worry about Tartarus, get as many S.Links done as possible and if you dont have an S.Link then focus on your charm, acedmics and courage since they unlock new S.Links at certain levels/dates. Acedmeics are by far the slowest to raise too so its doubly important to make sure that at night your studying it.

The game will end after about a year, however you dont have much to worry about with Tartarus because on the final day your charcters will never get tired again. This means on that final day in Tartarus you can level infinitely.

Treat Tartarus as the place you go to make money. If your funds are getting low then head to tartarus. And watch Elizebeth requests, early in the game there are requests where she will give you tens of thousands of yen for doing something, and late in the game hundreds of thousands. These requests will help you have plenty of money without having to worry about entering tartarus every night.

So again, if an S.Link is open its probably a good idea to do it, if there is no S.Link on some day then go raise your academics, charm or courage. S.Links will open on certain dates in many cases, and many others are opened by an S.Link your working on(for instance Kenji your first S.Link will mention seeing a chubby kid known as Gourmet, king and doing the Team one will lead to Team Manager). One more S.Link Type. Dont focus on 1 character exclusively, I did this and then found myself with lots of open days. Instead rotate the S Links your working on this way as the game goes on you will find you almost always have someone to raise an S.Link on. OOOOO and if your playing FES then don't worry about the girls getting jealous that your dating another girl. Its not a problem to go out on a date with another girl, you can in reality be dating every girl in the game at once and they wont get jelous as long as you dont ignore any girl. If you start doing other stuff and ignore a girl forever THEN you will have a problem.

[quote name='starmask2k3']is this game rare[/QUOTE]

No, it was really rare but then they released FES and it killed the value of P3. If your an RPG fan and just want something good to play grab FES, you can find it for $20-$30 and it comes with the complete Persona 3 as well as FES additional content. If your a HUGE RPG fan and you want cool extras then grab P3 first since you can find it for $30, and while there is no FES content with vanilla P3 it comes with an outer case and all sorts of fan swag. If you like it then you can grab FES.

The game may get rare again but its a crap shoot at this point if it goes back up to $60-$80.

[quote name='Backlash']
[/quote]

Early in the game your characters also get tired a lot quicker, so you probably feel like you need to go quite a bit... don't worry, after a month or so that feeling will go away. I don't remember if you've seen it yet but you can only explore so far in Tartarus each month anyway, so you will soon find out that you don't even need to go that often. Where I am right now I do all of Elizabeth's requests before each deadline and hit the maximum I can explore in Tartarus and I only need to go about twice a month, maybe once more if I need cash/items like MSI Magus said.

How do you guys balance all that stuff?

you'll get the hang of it... just piggybacking on MSI Magus, make sure you study every night you have free to improve academics, if you get tired just go to the nurse the next day for a free courage boost, and after the nurse go to the bathroom and you have something like a 50% chance of getting better. if not just keep doing it til the nurse improves you, and if it goes on too long or you need to get better for Tartarus you can skip studying and sleep earlier for a day or two. Skipping a few days won't hurt you. Use your afternoons for S.Links. As long as you keep rotating them you'll do OK. I prefer to have about 3-4 main ones in rotation, and really focus on another one only after I max one out. as for girls, they get jealous faster once they start considering it a serious dating relationship, so just in case once I get to that point with a girl I try to max out that one ASAP before going to the next one (although people say you can probably juggle 2-3 at a time safely as long as you going out with all of them).

anyway like I said keep playing and you'll get the hang of it!! took me a while too.

Thanks Microsoft for the RROD. Because I actually got to this game, and It's pure ownage. But damn... 250 floors? lol. I'm hardly near 80 and put a good 20+ hours into it. Then again it sounds like im pretty high up for my hours?

Thanks for the tips guys. I did just hit the first barrier (one day before Elizabeth's deadline, though), so now I feel freer to ignore Tartarus for awhile. S Links ahoy!

[quote name='Backlash']Thanks for the tips guys. I did just hit the first barrier (one day before Elizabeth's deadline, though), so now I feel freer to ignore Tartarus for awhile. S Links ahoy![/QUOTE]

This should always be your attitude. S Links if possible. If there is no s link then focus on your acedmics if not acedemics then either charm or courage. Tartarus as I said is just a money maker.

I looked at it a bit differently. SLinks are my main prerogative but before every full moon I need to get to the next blockade in Tartarus. I found that when people talk to you at lunch, if you hang out with them after school you almost always get an s. link level. Just going up to someone and hanging out if they didn't ask at lunch sometimes results in what I guess is an small gain.

Also what are your guys party? I just got Koromaru but have been using Mitsuru, Akihiko and Junpei/Aigis almost the entire game. It works out okay but I usually need to be a healer on boss fights so they take a little longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back