The "Recommend me games." thread. Let's get this to one star, people! We can do it!

That's true for most games, but not for those. There are such things as timeless classics. My girlfriend had never played any of those, but she loves 'em all. Hell, I'd never played Super Metroid until a few years back; didn't make me love it any less. I really think that buying those games would be a far better purchase than anything else except Brawl and possible Galaxy.

And yes, a Classic Controller would make Super Metroid a bit better than having to play it with a GCN controller. But if I played it on a keyboard my first time through and loved every second, then he can use a Wavebird.

[quote name='Wyatt']Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 on Wii is also supposed to be very good, but I haven't tried that yet so I can't say for sure.[/quote]
I've been reading up on this, and that game looks absolutely fantastic. I'm not even in to soccer (nothing against it - just don't pay much attention to most of the sports out there), and I still want it.

Okay, here's one for you guys. I just picked up two extra Wiimotes this weekend, so now I have four of them and two nunchucks. I also got Rayman Raving Rabbids (the first one) on clearance, thinking it would be a decent party game.

Unfortunately, Rabbids requires that you play each game in single player first before you can do it in multiplayer. Once I finish the single player game I figure it might still be good, but it looks like it'll require two more nunchucks. That's another $40 and I could just as easily spend that on one or two other games that might be more fun for lots of people.

What I'm looking for is a game that fulfills these requirements:

- Supports four players
- Simultaneous multiplayer - I've heard Wario Ware is of the "pass the controller" variety, so I'm not interested.
- Easy to pick up and play. I already have a "skill required" 4-player game in Super Smash.
- Doesn't require the nunchuck (this is flexible - I'll likely end up getting two more nunchucks eventually)
- Not total fuck

It's actually rather difficult to find this information, especially the hot seat vs. simultaneous multiplayer thing.

Mario Party 8, though I wasn't a big fan of it. Each player takes their turn making a move, followed by a minigame with everyone. Only needs the remote.

Actually, I just realized that Mario Kart Wii will only require the remote, and I know everyone can get into that. My Wii is giving me artifacts so I'll send it in for a replacement, and by the time I get it back it'll almost be the release date. Until then I'll be fine with the games I have. Wii Sports is probably the best.

I'll read some reviews of Smarty Pants though.

[quote name='astromanluca']
I'll read some reviews of Smarty Pants though.[/quote]
Smarty Pants is not the best trivia game ever, but we've had a few really fun evenings with four adults playing.

i'm renting tons of wii game from gamefly right now and i like a few of them already.

RE4 the control kinda hard, would it be better with a add on gun to play this game?

FIFA 08, look pretty good, is this the best soccer game out there? would u rather get it for 360?

Leung: RE4 controls far better than it did on the GC or PS2. Getting a gun shell would not help in the least.

As far as soccer goes, you should check out Pro Evolution Soccer 2008.

How's battle mode in Mario Kart? The team-only stuff is scaring me, since I generally play the game with my two brothers. Having a team-based game with three people is not very appealing. Can you change the numbers/intelligence of the bots?

[quote name='The Crotch']Leung: RE4 controls far better than it did on the GC or PS2. Getting a gun shell would not help in the least.

As far as soccer goes, you should check out Pro Evolution Soccer 2008.[/quote]

And tell us how the Pro Evo soccer gameplay is. I want it and it looks like it could be awesome but I'm worried about the gameplay being overly burdensome and complicated. It looks like the wii remote is really used to make the game better not simply tacked on. I look forward to some CAGs checking it out before I jump in.

Does Sega tennis fit astromanluca's requirements? It's also cheap ... I haven't even opened my $20 gamestop copy yet so I can't comment for sure on the 4-player modes.

I need recommendations. 4 guys, only two are really gamers, the other two are former gamers. Good party games?

I have

Mario Kart
Smash Bros
Wii Play

I don't think Wario Ware or Mario Party is going to work. Any other ideas?

I hate this thread, because no one ever looks here, but here's to hoping!

I used to hate racing games. The Wii changed things recently. Now I love Excite Truck. I like Mario Kart a lot. A few months ago I discovered I like the Burnout series a lot (yes, I know it's not on Wii, but I keep hoping for a Wii version).

Anyway, the point is that there are a ton of racing games out for the Wii, and most of them are terrible. But I want more racing, as long as it uses the remote like a steering wheel. I'm most curious about either of the Need for Speed games. Has anyone played those? I'm open to other suggestions as well, like the Emergency game that came out today if the driving is halfway decent.

Recommendations - GO!

Nitro bike is supposed to be similar to excite truck, did not get the best reviews though, I bought it for $10, never opened it yet.

[quote name='mickeyp']Nitro bike is supposed to be similar to excite truck, did not get the best reviews though, I bought it for $10, never opened it yet.[/quote]
Has anyone played Nitro Bike? $10 seems to be the going rate for it, and the bulk of the negative reviews on metacritic seem to be giving it low scores primarily for knocking off Excite Truck. If it really is that close to Excite Truck, it could be the game for me, but if reviewers were just reaching and it's not similar at all then it's obviously not worth it.

Even more of a shot in hell - has anyone played both Nitro Bike and excite Truck?

Not really. A lot of the early racing games that weren't Excite Truck got some pretty crap reviews, so people avoided 'em like the plague.

I refuse to believe I am the only person who enjoyed Excite Truck and Mario Kart enough to be inspired to look into other Wii racing games. The controls seem so well-suited. Where are all the racing game players? The arcades?

[quote name='mephitical']I refuse to believe I am the only person who enjoyed Excite Truck and Mario Kart enough to be inspired to look into other Wii racing games. The controls seem so well-suited. Where are all the racing game players? The arcades?[/QUOTE]

I like racing games.:)

If you don't mind gran turismo style games , GT Pro series is a decent Gran turismo style knockoff for the wii. The graphics are really ugly but its competent.

[quote name='The Crotch']How're the controls?[/QUOTE]

I'd say on par with Mario Kart Wii while using the wii wheel. Haven't played excitetruck yet to compare it to that. I actually found GT a bit easier to control that mario kart , but then again I didn't really take the time to really get the hang of using the wii wheel for it either.

[quote name='StarKnightX']I'd say on par with Mario Kart Wii while using the wii wheel. Haven't played excitetruck yet to compare it to that. I actually found GT a bit easier to control that mario kart , but then again I didn't really take the time to really get the hang of using the wii wheel for it either.[/quote]
This is what I was looking for - thanks! That's enough to make me get GT Pro Series. All right, someone else sell me on NFS and Nitro Bike now.

[quote name='mephitical']This is what I was looking for - thanks! That's enough to make me get GT Pro Series. All right, someone else sell me on NFS and Nitro Bike now.[/QUOTE]

Heh , maybe I'll rent one or both of them from gamefly and give you my impressions.;):)

[quote name='StarKnightX']Heh , maybe I'll rent one or both of them from gamefly and give you my impressions.;):)[/quote]
I should really join Gamefly again for stuff like this. I have like $4 credit at Blockbuster, but their stupid game rentals are $8! I can buy any of these games for only a few dollars more. I did just go through and bid on a bunch on ebay just because. If you do rent them, please post your impressions! Give me enough time and I'll end up getting them anyway, but I would like to hear what someone else thinks about them. Most are pretty low points on Goozex.

[quote name='mephitical']I should really join Gamefly again for stuff like this. I have like $4 credit at Blockbuster, but their stupid game rentals are $8! I can buy any of these games for only a few dollars more. I did just go through and bid on a bunch on ebay just because. If you do rent them, please post your impressions! Give me enough time and I'll end up getting them anyway, but I would like to hear what someone else thinks about them. Most are pretty low points on Goozex.[/QUOTE]

Sure thing. I have the opposite problem with gamefly , I have a membership which I don't need cause I have too many games to play as it is. I'm too lazy to cancel though cause I like the discount on used games they offer , and the convience of simply renting something I'm not sure about is always nice.

If I were to rent those two games , which of them are you more interested , so as for me to rent it first?

[quote name='StarKnightX']Sure thing. I have the opposite problem with gamefly , I have a membership which I don't need cause I have too many games to play as it is. I'm too lazy to cancel though cause I like the discount on used games they offer , and the convience of simply renting something I'm not sure about is always nice.

If I were to rent those two games , which of them are you more interested , so as for me to rent it first?[/quote]
Aw geez, that's so nice! That's actually the reason I canceled Gamefly, and with 40+ Wii games alone, I don't need to rent more. I think I'm more interested in NFS more, only because it's less points on Goozex. I KNOW Nitrobike will drop, since it's down to like $10 on amazon sometimes. It's not so much the money as it is being saddled with a game that makes me sad. I hate that.

I ended up winning a Nitrobike auction on ebay to get it really cheap. If I don't like it, it's still a really high point value on Goozex. I also am getting GT Pro Series sent to me through Goozex. At this point I just need to decide about NFS, but really who am I kidding? I'll end up getting it unless someone can lodge a major complaint against it.

I know there's a few fishing games..but what's the BEST fishing game currently out for Wii?
Using the remote as a fishing rod is a MUST.
AND it has to work WELL. Really well.

I'd like to get my dad somethine extra for Father's Day and he would get a kick out of a bad ass fishing game.

:waits:

[quote name='lilboo']I know there's a few fishing games..but what's the BEST fishing game currently out for Wii?

I'd like to get my dad somethine extra for Father's Day and he would get a kick out of a bad ass fishing game.

:waits:[/QUOTE]

Sega Bass Fishing?

I know the DC version was pretty fun , although a bit on the simple side , and I hear the Wii version basically just took the DC version and added wiimote controls and an extra mode I believe.

Other than that I got nothin.

[quote name='lilboo']I know there's a few fishing games..but what's the BEST fishing game currently out for Wii?

:waits:[/quote]
I'm going to vote for Sega Bass. It's fun, easy to get used to, and only $11 at Costco. I got one for my dad and he loved it, and I like playing my copy as well. The controls are appropriately twitchy and you can lose yourself enough in the illusion to make it feel like real fishing. It can be played for just a few minutes, or for a long time. I tried Rapala and Fishing Master and though both were terrible. Sega Bass has the advantage of having realistic characters and fish as well.

Now sell me on some racing games.

I really don't like racing games :(
With the exception of Mario Kart :(

So, Bass Fishing is def a decent game despite some of it's flaws? I mean I don't want the game to have clunky controls that he gets mad and doesn't want to play it.

How do you fish in the game? Do you like reel the nunchuk or somethin? :lol:

Fishing Master is basically a combination of the fishing games from Breath of Fire 3 and Twilight Princess. "Bleh" graphics and rudimentary multiplayer. But $15 ain't that bad a price for it t'all.

Bass Fishing is also pretty damn ugly, what with it being 10 years old or so. Still prefer how it looks to Master. The controls aren't as tight, but it's somewhat deeper than Master.

[quote name='lilboo']I really don't like racing games :(
With the exception of Mario Kart :(

So, Bass Fishing is def a decent game despite some of it's flaws? I mean I don't want the game to have clunky controls that he gets mad and doesn't want to play it.

How do you fish in the game? Do you like reel the nunchuk or somethin? :lol:[/quote]
I didn't think I liked racing games either until the Wii came along. Kind of like how I was turned on to shooting games.

Bass Fishing is decent despite it's flaws. The flaws are easily ignored, especially if you're not obsessed with the cutting edge of graphics (I'm assuming your dad and mine are close enough in age and technological interest). You do reel with the nunchuk and jerk your rod and then when you've done it for long enough and jerked just right the fish explodes out of the water.

For anyone who cared - Nitrobike is terrible. The controls lag, play is slow, graphics are ugly and you can't see anything anyway because the dust the bikes kick up obscures everything. And it's only 4:3. Just to make sure I wasn't being overly critical, I put in Excite Truck and was immediately having fun and was happy with how bright the graphics were and how tight the control was. Oh well. I'll put it up on goozex or half.com or something.
I should have my GT Pro Series here any day, and then I'll maybe move on to NFS unless someone posts impressions here first.

[quote name='mephitical']For anyone who cared - Nitrobike is terrible. The controls lag, play is slow, graphics are ugly and you can't see anything anyway because the dust the bikes kick up obscures everything. And it's only 4:3. Just to make sure I wasn't being overly critical, I put in Excite Truck and was immediately having fun and was happy with how bright the graphics were and how tight the control was. Oh well. I'll put it up on goozex or half.com or something.
I should have my GT Pro Series here any day, and then I'll maybe move on to NFS unless someone posts impressions here first.[/QUOTE]

Bummer about Nitrobike , although I really wasn't expecting much out of it anyway.

Should be getting NFS in the mail either Saturday or Monday. Went ahead and put Carbon and ProStreet on my requests list , just for the hell of it.

If anyone else has any Wii games that they are curious about , feel free to ask and I'll offer to rent them. I shall suffer so that others may avoid the crap.:D;)

[quote name='StarKnightX']Bummer about Nitrobike , although I really wasn't expecting much out of it anyway.

Should be getting NFS in the mail either Saturday or Monday. Went ahead and put Carbon and ProStreet on my requests list , just for the hell of it.

If anyone else has any Wii games that they are curious about , feel free to ask and I'll offer to rent them. I shall suffer so that others may avoid the crap.:D;)[/quote]
I want to thank you for your GT Pro Series recommendation. I just got it from Goozex today and played a few races and I'm really impressed. It's very bright and clear and the controls are really tight! It's even in 16:9. I think because it was a launch game and had terrible cover art I assumed it would be terrible, but I am really happy with it.

Can anyone tell me if Alone in the Dark is any good? I'm on the fence with this. I just might get No More Heroes instead.

[quote name='hero101']Can anyone tell me if Alone in the Dark is any good? I'm on the fence with this. I just might get No More Heroes instead.[/quote]
No.
20080623.jpg

bread's done
Back