The "Recommend me games." thread. Let's get this to one star, people! We can do it!

[quote name='chiwii']Recommend me some games! I'm not a "gamer" - I bought a Wii last year, but, before that, I haven't played video games since the SNES and Sega Genesis I had when I was young.

I like easier Wii titles, like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Link's Crossbow Training, Lego Star Wars, Tetris Party and Boom Blox. I really liked Zack and Wiki.

I also like Resident Evil 4, but it's a little too hard for me. When I'm not battling the huge groups of zombies (or whatever they are) or the bosses, I enjoy it.

I did not like Endless Ocean (boring), Ghost Squad (way too short, and I didn't want to play it again), or Need for Speed Carbon.

I've decided to download World of Goo and Toki Tori. I'll get Lego Indiana Jones when the price drops (I'm still working on Lego Star Wars anyway.)

Do you think I'll like No More Heroes? It looks fun - like a video game version of Kill Bill.

Do you think I'll like Okami? I have a couple of Zelda games for my GBA, but I hate that sometimes you have to just randomly explore to figure out what to do. For example, I had to find a mushroom to get a magic potion. I looked and looked for that mushroom, but couldn't find it. I finally used a guide to figure out that I had to go into and out of a certain cave, and the mushroom would just appear. How would I have figure that out on my own? I hate that. If Okami is like that, I don't want it.

Do you have any game recommendations for me?[/QUOTE]

Well you liked Crossbow Training and sorta liked RE4---Why not House of the Dead 2 and 3 Returns? Yeah, it's like Ghost Squad in the sense that it's short, but, there's tons of unlockables and it's 2 different games.

de Blob is what I am currently playing, along with the never ending Animal Crossing. de Blob is like a platformer/puzzle game? It's hard to explain, and maybe someone else can you better insight on it. Animal Crossing is really good. Have you ever played the cube version or the DS version?

I didn't ignore your Okami question--I never played that. :cool:

Chiwii: I'd have to think on the Okami question for a bit. Definitely try (as in, rent or buy cheap) de Blob and the Wario games. And Mario Kart & Brawl, of course. I haven't played either No More Heroes or Metroid Prime 3 on their easy modes so I dunno how well those would go, though I suspect some of the NMH bosses would still venture into this-is-pissing-me-off territory.

The easy mode of Fire Emblem 10, however, is quite simple.

Unlike the hard mode that I'm currently playing. I swear, my wyverns are RNG cursed. My Haar never gains speed and my Jill never gains HP. fuck you and your Laguz charge, Lethe!

Thanks for the quick replies! I actually just started looking into De Blob, and it looks good. My only concern at this point is that it's supposedly short, and I don't want to pay $40-$50 for a short game. I'll be waiting for a sale on that one.

I don't know anything about the Wario games or Animal Crossing - I'll look into those.

I avoided House of the Dead 2 and 3 Returns because of my dislike for Ghost Squad. I played through Ghost Squad 2 or 3 times, and I had no desire to play again to get the unlockables or choose the alternate routes. I assume that I'd feel the same way about House of the Dead 2 and 3 Returns.

Note that the Wario games are also really short. Hence the "rent" suggestion.

Animal Crossing, however, will last forever until Tom Nook breaks your knees.

I've done some more research into Okami, and some people say that the game gives you hints when you're struggling to figure out what to do. Also, they say that the fights are pretty easy. Do you agree?

[quote name='chiwii']I've done some more research into Okami, and some people say that the game gives you hints when you're struggling to figure out what to do. Also, they say that the fights are pretty easy. Do you agree?[/quote]
The Okami fights are very easy - there's even a way to exit them if you don't feel like doing them (doing so has a slight negative impact, but not anything that actually changes the gameplay).

There are some hints, but even with the hints you will do a LOT of running around in the game. Which is one of the things I love about it, since it is so beautiful, but part of the game is restoring the land so you do spend a lot of time looking for dead trees to circle so they bloom. Even with the large open world, the game is fairly linear and you get herded into your next task pretty easily.

It's a tough call - based on what you posted Okami may not be the game for you. I've played it on both PS2 and Wii now and it may actually be my favorite non-puzzle game, but I'm aware that it's not for everyone. It's a very long game, but a lot of that length is padding. I happen to like the padding, but I can see why people complained about the endless fetching and side tasks and running around.

Does that help at all?

NFG - drop a PM to FriskyTanuki. If memory serves, he's the person to ask about the Naruto fighting games. I want to say he said at some point that he liked the last GC one (I think it was Naruto -Subtitle- 4) more than Smash Bros.

My suspicion re: which is better is that later games will have more characters and be following the current story arcs more closely. So I guess if someone is a fan of the show, they'd want the latest game, which probably has more refined gameplay anyway.

If FT isn't the guy to ask about this, I apologize for wasting your/his time. You might want to link him to this thread/post so he knows what we're discussing. I'm fairly sure he's the guy to ask though.

Now that I think about it, the DBZ Budokai games might be something to take a look at. You should be able to get them pretty cheap by now. I seem to remember them being fun in a "look at the cool stuff happening on the screen" sort of way.

NoMore Heroes is a fun game but if RE4 was too hard I don't see you finishing it.

some of the side missions are hard and so that means either A) you'll be frustrated trying to do really hard missions or b) end up repeating the easier ones over and over again so you can get enough cash to progress. The last few bosses are kinda difficult as well.

It's a great game just like RE4 but they're not what I'd call easy. Now World of Goo on the other hand is wicked awesome. It's great like Prince of Persia Sands of Time was great. I wish they remade that for the Wii. If you get the opportunity play it. Sands of Time is like low-impact exercise. It's so smooth it's th official game of Billy D Williams

[quote name='NintendoFanGirl']What about Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution (1 or 2) for a guy who likes SSBB. Worth the $50? Which one is better?[/quote]They really don't get good until 3 which unfortunately didn't get released in the US. If you have to pick b/w those two. I say N:CotN 2. If my memory serves correct 1 didn't have four players but two did.

[quote name='chiwii']Recommend me some games! I'm not a "gamer" - I bought a Wii last year, but, before that, I haven't played video games since the SNES and Sega Genesis I had when I was young.

I like easier Wii titles, like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Link's Crossbow Training, Lego Star Wars, Tetris Party and Boom Blox. I really liked Zack and Wiki.

Do you have any game recommendations for me?[/quote]

Maybe MLB Power Pros if you liked the baseball game in Wii Sports.

Wii skiier - Thanks for the info on Okami. That's exactly what I needed to know. I generally don't like running around and fetching. But, it's looks like such a beautiful game with an interesting story. I'll have to think about that one.

Wolfin - Thanks for the reply on NMH. I think I'll skip it for now, and just keep working on RE4.

Z_meista - I'll check out MLB Power Pros.

I also like Resident Evil 4, but it's a little too hard for me. When I'm not battling the huge groups of zombies (or whatever they are) or the bosses, I enjoy it.

I did not like Endless Ocean (boring), Ghost Squad (way too short, and I didn't want to play it again), or Need for Speed Carbon.

I've decided to download World of Goo and Toki Tori. I'll get Lego Indiana Jones when the price drops (I'm still working on Lego Star Wars anyway.)

Do you think I'll like No More Heroes? It looks fun - like a video game version of Kill Bill.

Do you think I'll like Okami? I have a couple of Zelda games for my GBA, but I hate that sometimes you have to just randomly explore to figure out what to do. For example, I had to find a mushroom to get a magic potion. I looked and looked for that mushroom, but couldn't find it. I finally used a guide to figure out that I had to go into and out of a certain cave, and the mushroom would just appear. How would I have figure that out on my own? I hate that. If Okami is like that, I don't want it.

Do you have any game recommendations for me?[/QUOTE]

I'd recommend getting a gamecube controller.. Then look into getting Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, and Wario World for gamecube. Wario can be pretty short but it's fun and should be pretty cheap. Star Wars: Rogue Leader is also a gamecube game I recommend but it might be a bit challenging for you, not sure.. It's been a while since I played it.

I also recommend getting Super Mario 64, StarFox64, and Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the virtual console. The gamecube controller tends to work much better than the classic controller for N64 games.

You might be able to find Super Mario Galaxy at Blockbuster for $25 if that interests you.. Do you play with other people often or usually just by yourself?

chiwii-
Some more "easy" but fun games you might like based on what you posted - Excite Truck (very long game with many difficulty levels), Lego Batman (pretty much the same thing as Lego Star Wars but with Batman) and possibly (I'm going to get made fun of for this) the Dancing With The Stars or Karaoke Revolution games. Those last two have gotten a lot of playtime in our house and do a good job of bridging the gap between "games" and "activities". They have very easy difficulty settings to work up from and don't punish failure very harshly. The music spans a decent range of popular songs and quickly stands apart from your musical taste for the sake of the game. I never in my life thought I would champion a Celine Dion songs as one of the most fun to play.

I'm going to need a few reccomendations on games. I've been looking, and obviously I will be trying to get Mario Kart Wii, and No More Heroes (most likey). However I can't decide between Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. I may just get both, but which one would you say overall is a better game? In all aspects, music, graphics, design, gameplay, etc.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']I'm going to need a few reccomendations on games. I've been looking, and obviously I will be trying to get Mario Kart Wii, and No More Heroes (most likey). However I can't decide between Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. I may just get both, but which one would you say overall is a better game? In all aspects, music, graphics, design, gameplay, etc.[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed both games very much. Both are in my top 5 games on the wii period. I'd say get both if you can, if not I would just go with your gut on your choice.

How long would you both games are? Also if you guys could, how much is there to do, outside of the main storyline? Like adventuring, side quests, etc, if that is even applicable.

[quote name='The Crotch']Both are great, but Metroid Prime 3 still kicks the piss out of Zelda, plain 'n simple.[/quote]
Agreed. Zelda is fine but somewhat generic feeling. Metroid Prime 3 is beautiful and moody and fun to boot.

Zelda's the longer game and it has more sidequests and such. The main optional stuff in MP3 would be filling up your scan logs and getting every item for the full ending.

MP3 is also the harder game of the two, which is great by me. Zelda was too easy.

I ended up picking up Super Mario Galaxy at BlockBuster for $25. I've been on the fence about this one - the gameplay videos that I saw didn't interest me much. But I know that it got great reviews, and everyone seems to love it. For $25, I'll give it a try!

Metroid Prime 3 has a better chance of dropping in price sooner, if that makes any difference.

Between the two, I'd say Metroid Prime 3. LoZ:TP is good, but I wasn't as enthused about it as I was when I first picked up and played OOT, MM, WW, and even PH. It's solid, but nothing amazing. I played and beat it on the GC, and did try out the Wii version.

For game length, LoZ:TP clocks in at about 40-60 hours to complete everything. I'm a semi-completionist, have everything except for a few pieces of heart, and my save was somewhere in the 50s.

Metroid Prime 3, I haven't beaten yet, so I'm not sure. My Wii is currently offline, due to the TV being in another room.

[quote name='G33']
Metroid Prime 3, I haven't beaten yet, so I'm not sure. My Wii is currently offline, due to the TV being in another room.[/quote]
You could move your Wii too, then it will be back online!

MP3 can vary greatly in length depending on how much you want to explore and scan. At 30 or 40 hours (I can't remember exactly) I took probably five times as long to get through it as what is possible just because a huge part of my enjoyment came from just looking at everything. The fighting is really secondary for me in the Metroid games; I just like hanging out on the desolate worlds and exploring.

[quote name='doubledown']I noticed Boom Blox is $27.99 at Blockbuster....anyone recommend that? What do you do really, knock down blocks?[/quote]
Yep. And it is fun.

It's actually an assortment of physical physics puzzles and games with decent production values. The puzzle types range from "find the weak spot to topple the whole tower in one throw" to "slide blocks in a certain sequence to free trapped creatures". The party games are too varied to get into - there are a ton of them and most are really fun.

Hmm I may check out Metroid Prime 3, however I'll probably try and get both, lol. Thanks guys! I'll probably do more research and see if I come to a final conclusion.

[quote name='The Crotch']I don't think I'd bite on Boom Blox for $27...[/quote]
I'd agree. Used it's worth maybe $20. Although it's one of those games that seems a lot worse than it is because of the simplified nature. It's definitely better suited for multiple people in one room. Even if all the people aren't playing, they'll enjoy helping solve puzzles. If you plan on playing alone, I'd hold off. If your holiday plans involve a lot of people playing with or watching you play with your Wii, it might be worth it.

dude that reminds me I haven't even started Metroid Prime 2. I might have to get on that after I finish Galaxy. Which i kinda haven't touched since i started Dokapon Kingdom. Talk about a computer that cheats.

[quote name='kube00']Just got some Wii points looking for fun and reasonable pt wise, two player games with my wife[/quote]
Mario Kart 64 (better than MKWii)

[quote name='Wolfkin']how about the bomberman blast games?[/quote]
Bomberman Blast doesn't have a clearly defined grid, which is essential for avoiding bombs.

Yes, the controls/grid on Bomberman Blast are much too soft for a game that is designed to be played in only four directions.

My wife and I play a lot of Tetris Party, Dr. Mario, and Wild West Guns (I'd only get this if you have a couple of Perfect Shots or Zappers). My wife also really likes the way World of Goo looks and likes to watch me play and fail and then point out what I should have done.

[quote name='ninja dog']Anyone played Maboshi's Arcade yet? looks interesting and its getting good reviews.[/quote]
Many of those reviews were from the UK release, which was pretty early in WiiWare's life cycle. I'm not saying they don't have some valid points, but I think for the same point total you get far more value with something like Tetris Party or Dr. Mario.
Here are my thoughts from the old VC/WiiWare thread:

I've played MaBoShi quite a bit and WANT to recommend it, but I just can't. The presentation is very simple but doesn't come off as clean, just cheap. The gameplay goes immediately from completely dull to maddeningly frustrating and the three shapes, while requiring different strategies, really don't feel all that different from each other. This was one of the most Flash-like games I have played and it didn't even feel like it was trying to hold itself above that designation at all.

Hmm, that's disappointing.

how about Cubello?

edit: nm. just watched vids for it...I can't believe they ruined the game with that robot voice. how on earth can they not think that would annoy the shit out of some people?

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up Geometry Wars: Galaxies three days ago and I must say this game is fantastic. If you enjoy shoot-em-ups with more enemies than you can count, you'll probably love it as well. The wii-mote firing control can sometime be difficult to follow due to the on-screen action, but no matter how quickly I end up getting killed on a level, I can't stop playing it.

Highly recommended, especially for the $10 I spent on it at Circuit City ;)

[quote name='waxHead']I picked up Geometry Wars: Galaxies three days ago and I must say this game is fantastic. If you enjoy shoot-em-ups with more enemies than you can count, you'll probably love it as well. The wii-mote firing control can sometime be difficult to follow due to the on-screen action, but no matter how quickly I end up getting killed on a level, I can't stop playing it.

Highly recommended, especially for the $10 I spent on it at Circuit City ;)[/quote]
How would you say it compares to the DS version? I really disliked that because it seemed to be too tricky to control quickly, but also probably because it made my hand cramp up. I played the Wii version while it was still in development and it definitely wasn't a finished product but I've always based my negative impression of the game on that experience.

I played Boom Blox at a friend's house last week and it was the first Wii game I've enjoyed since Metroid Prime 3.

[quote name='wii skiier']How would you say it compares to the DS version? I really disliked that because it seemed to be too tricky to control quickly, but also probably because it made my hand cramp up. I played the Wii version while it was still in development and it definitely wasn't a finished product but I've always based my negative impression of the game on that experience.[/QUOTE]

I greatly prefer the Wii version, but then my hands tend to cramp somewhat for most DS games.

I think a must for the Wii version is the classic controller. I'm never going back to the other control schemes.

[quote name='wii skiier']How would you say it compares to the DS version? I really disliked that because it seemed to be too tricky to control quickly, but also probably because it made my hand cramp up. I played the Wii version while it was still in development and it definitely wasn't a finished product but I've always based my negative impression of the game on that experience.[/quote]

I haven't played the DS version (I now own the game, but not a DS... yet), but I get engrossed with Geometry Wars due to the concentration required not to get killed every 1/10th of a second. I suppose my hands are fairly steady, as I don't have the classic controller and just use the wiimote and still really enjoy it - then again, I haven't hit any of the top medals on any level, so it's likely the classic controller would help my game ;) I haven't played a serious shoot-em-up like this in a while, but I find it incredible that no matter how many enemies are on-screen at once, there's absolutely no slow-down and the graphics are quite good (for what it is).

On a slightly different note, is it possible to use Gamecube controllers with Wii games? Such as using one for Geometry Wars? If not, I suppose I'll pick up the classic controller, but I wanted to check first.... (haven't tried yet, obviously).

[quote name='waxHead']On a slightly different note, is it possible to use Gamecube controllers with Wii games? Such as using one for Geometry Wars? If not, I suppose I'll pick up the classic controller, but I wanted to check first.... (haven't tried yet, obviously).[/QUOTE]

Some Wii titles accept GCN controller input, most notably SSBB and Mario Kart. Geometry Wars does not, however. GCN controllers can also be used (albeit uncomfortably) for the VC.

[quote name='theflicker']Some Wii titles accept GCN controller input, most notably SSBB and Mario Kart. Geometry Wars does not, however. GCN controllers can also be used (albeit uncomfortably) for the VC.[/quote]
Many people say they are great (better than CC) for N64.

[quote name='theflicker']Some Wii titles accept GCN controller input, most notably SSBB and Mario Kart. Geometry Wars does not, however. GCN controllers can also be used (albeit uncomfortably) for the VC.[/quote]

I find it strange that only certain Wii games support GCN controllers - I'd figure it would be easier to just let them all use it by default.

bread's done
Back