The RPG thread has reached level 2!

You can only choose 1 between Fallout and Oblivion. You cannot choose both.

I'd suggest Demon's Souls because you're either going to put it down in 20 minutes or never put it down again.

[quote name='azeru']Question for all you RPG aficionados. If you had these games to play for the first time, in which order would you tackle them?

Oblivion GoTY
Dragon Age Origins CE
Fallout 3 GoTY
Demon's Souls

These are listed in the order I was thinking of playing them. I'm trying to figure out how to rank them in the most enjoyable way - for example: if I play Dragon Age Origins before Oblivion, will Oblivion not be as much fun?

I was a pretty serious EQ / WoW player back in the day (high-level guild raids, etc), so I'm fully aware of the time commitment needed. ;) Thanks - your advice/input is appreciated![/QUOTE]

All of those are great games but I'd have to go with Fallout 3 as the best of the bunch. If you throw in the DLC then you could have well over 100 hours of gameplay on your hands. Actually I think those 4 RPG's will probably last you for the next 500 hours of your life if you really play them to their fullest potential... come talk to us in 2011 when you're all done with that and let us know how it went :)

[quote name='Mr. Beef']:whistle2:|[/QUOTE]beef doesnt work the corner... he works the underground.

underground pokemon fights.

[quote name='PlayableMoogle']It's lovely that Squeenix has set the release date for FF XIII and all, but would it kill them to comment on DQ VI and DQ IX?!?[/QUOTE]
I totally feel your pain. Wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them come out next year sometime (and by fall at the very latest).

I'm trudging through DQV right now, I don't want to hear a word about any more. All of these games always start out charming enough, but the last few hours are always long dungeons with enemies that do too much damage, or are a huge nuisance, and give too little exp & gold.

[quote name='Rodimus']Screw FFXIII, I want End of Eternity. I played the demo at TGS and the battle system was pretty damn cool.[/QUOTE]
I'm kind of interested in the game. But I'm looking forward to FFXIII more since I know I'll get some enjoyment from it. I wish I could say the same for Tri-Ace games... But the only games of theirs I liked were Valkyrie Profile 1 & 2(I should finish them someday). But I'll still end up getting it along with Star Ocean 4 for the PS3.

Started Ys: The Ark of Napishtim today. The voice acting and sound effects hit or miss (mostly miss) and the graphics are blah, but it's also challenging and fun, which are ultimately the important things.

ETA: Oh, and it also has what's probably the most masculine-looking woman I have ever seen in a game o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blueshinra']I totally feel your pain. Wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them come out next year sometime (and by fall at the very latest).[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty certain we'll get DQ IX next year, but I worry about DQ VI. It sounds like V had a pretty poor reception in the U.S.. :(

At the last dungeon in Tales of the Abyss. While not my favorite of the series it was a good RPG. One of my favorite things about the Tales of series is the character development and Abyss delivers. Jade is such a cool character.

Rodimus: Love me some Jade!

Also, Dragon Age is sooo addicting. I have to be up at 530 tomorrow to make it to class (stupid commuting, argh)... and I just now realized that it is 1am. prolly gonna go to sleep.... after a bit more DA!

[quote name='Rodimus']At the last dungeon in Tales of the Abyss. While not my favorite of the series it was a good RPG. One of my favorite things about the Tales of series is the character development and Abyss delivers. Jade is such a cool character.[/QUOTE]

lol This didn't take you a long time :booty:RF ever start working for you?

[quote name='LostRoad']lol This didn't take you a long time :booty:RF ever start working for you?[/QUOTE]

Actually, I was mistaken. I thought I was at the final dungeon but the game tricked me and I found out I'm only 2/3 in the game. It did seem kinda short for a tales of game... I should've figured

And as for Jade he's such a cool character that everytime he talks I really want to hear what he has to say, as opposed to most JRPG pointless rambling.

Thanks for asking but RF still isn't working. I'll PM you for advice.

Hello new RPG Thread!

Got burnt out on RPGs (and video games in general) for the past few months. But now my interest is beginning to rise once again.

I think I'm gonna make a run at finally beating FF12. Last I left, I was just finished with that ridiculous 100-level tower, so I think I'm near the very end. As it stands now, FF12 is the only Final Fantasy core game that I haven't beat yet. (Well, besides FF11, which isn't a real Final Fantasy anway.)

Good luck with 12! Personally, I'm a big fan (then again, I prefer 8 over 7, so go figure...). It did a lot of things different and took chances, and I appreciate it for that. I also like the story a lot, as it was more political. Reminded me a bit of FF:Tactics (helped that they're both Ivalice, eh?) I still wish more games had gambits (Dragon Age is close, but not quite there for me)

Playing through Dragon Age has actually given me a better perspective on why I don't like FF12. I mean I had always felt that FF12 kind of felt like a knockoff of a Bioware game. But the major problem that I have with FF12 is you never are really encourged to explore, which Bioware manages to get around by always having so many side quests that require you to explore your surroundings that you want to see every area of a location. In contrast FF12 only really has the hunts which often felt more like backtracking than being able to be completed as you were completing the main story line, and late game side quests which again felt kind of tacked on without much connection to the actual game.

I hope that FF13 sees a transition back to a slightly more typical JRPG feel, because personally if I wanted to play a western RPG I already have plenty of other options; and personally I didn't really feel like Square-Enix fully understood how to make a good Western based RPG, FF12 felt like it was trying to borrow a lot of ideas from western RPGs but in the end left too many JRPG elements that the game just kind of felt like some sort of deformed cross-breed.

I definitely liked 12, but it had way too much grinding. Why couldn't monsters drop money? Instead I have to kill them, harvest their dead carcus and return a portion of said carcus to a local merchant for 2 pieces of 8. That's just one part of the grinding fun!

Final Fantasy 12 was one of the biggest disappointments of my life.
I don't need games playing themselves for me.

[quote name='TomJones4']Final Fantasy 12 was one of the biggest disappointments of my life.
I don't need games playing themselves for me.[/QUOTE]
IAWTC.

I'm fine with AI partners for action RPGs like Tales and Kingdom Hearts, but it makes absolutely no sense for turn-based ones. Just one little change (automatic opening of the command menus for individual characters when in battle, as in other FFs) could've made the game so much better for me in that I could control each party member without fuss, and they wouldn't have had to do away with Gambits, either.

Yeah FFXII isn't one of my favorites. I have always had problems with RPGs where you cannot control your teammates. (The biggest flaw in Persona 3, IMO) At least they added the gambit system, where in most games where you have AI partners, you only get to assign generic "Attack-aggresive" or "Defend-heal" options like that.

Although I didn't much care for the story or sphere grid system of FFX, it did have some of the best combat of the series, I thought.

Mitusuru provoked so much profanity from me in Persona 3. Her character was supposed to be so smart, but she made such horrible decisions in battle.

[quote name='PlayableMoogle']I'm pretty certain we'll get DQ IX next year, but I worry about DQ VI. It sounds like V had a pretty poor reception in the U.S.. :([/QUOTE]
with the other low tier crap that S-E puts out, of course we'll DQVI. in fact, i have a strange feeling that it's currently being localized and in the "pretty much done except for engrish" phase.

that's what experience tells me.

[quote name='dr_illingsworth']Mitusuru provoked so much profanity from me in Persona 3. Her character was supposed to be so smart, but she made such horrible decisions in battle.[/QUOTE]
I cannot agree hard enough with this statement.

[quote name='kainzero']with the other low tier crap that S-E puts out, of course we'll DQVI. in fact, i have a strange feeling that it's currently being localized and in the "pretty much done except for engrish" phase.[/QUOTE]
Hope you're being sarcastic with the "engrish", since the recent Dragon Quest translations have been excellent :p

Nearing the end of Ys VI now. Just got the best shield and armor in the game, and a couple of great accessories, too.

I still needa plays Ys III :cry:

I havent played SRWOGSEFLOL since sunday, which is fine coz I reached a good stopping point and decided to put it aside for a bit.

the bad part is I havent made time to play RPG this week and I really wanted to go back to Raido 2 in the meantime.

maybe this weekend Ill put in a few hours.

I really needa beat these two games so I can play Ys III! that will be my reward!!

[quote name='blueshinra']Hope you're being sarcastic with the "engrish", since the recent Dragon Quest translations have been excellent :p[/quote]
ah, i was referring to the localization process.
when i got to it while working at S-E, as part of the localization team, there was still some engrish and some misplaced punctuation here and there. it was our job to correct it.

and i'm pretty sure it's at that phase now.

[quote name='azeru']Question for all you RPG aficionados. If you had these games to play for the first time, in which order would you tackle them?

Oblivion GoTY
Dragon Age Origins CE
Fallout 3 GoTY
Demon's Souls

These are listed in the order I was thinking of playing them. I'm trying to figure out how to rank them in the most enjoyable way - for example: if I play Dragon Age Origins before Oblivion, will Oblivion not be as much fun?

I was a pretty serious EQ / WoW player back in the day (high-level guild raids, etc), so I'm fully aware of the time commitment needed. ;) Thanks - your advice/input is appreciated![/QUOTE]

I actually have both Demon's Souls(import) and Dragon Age(regular edition with unused DLC code card) and I'm in the process of trying to make trade deals to get rid of both of them. Thus far I have a deal for DS(2 for 1), but you'd think someone would want DA for $50 shipped with the unused code.

Aside from maybe Demon's Souls, none of those games are RPG's in the style I'd like(straight up action/hack n slash/third person).

I found Oblivion to be quite boring and the third person view seemed 'forced' and I hate a first person view in RPG's, but I have given both that game and Fallout 3 a whirl just to see if I could get by that huge issue and I hated them both.

I really wish Bethesda would make the third part of the Dark Alliance series, which died when Interplay went under. I loved the 3/4's above view dungeon crawling type of gameplay.

Unfortunately, Bethesda would probably make a new Dark Alliance game in the same annoying vein as Oblivion and Fallout 3 and totally screw up the controls that I loved last gen.:roll: So maybe it's for the best if they never try to make a sequel to DA 2.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer'] you'd think someone would want DA for $50 shipped with the unused code.[/QUOTE]

Or they could get a new copy for $49.99 from amazon

True. I didn't realize Amazon was dropping $10 off for real, since when I bought mine it was supposed to have been $10 off, but they gave you a 'free' $10 gift card with the game, which they then charged you for on the receipt.

So you were paying full MSRP by way of the lovely promo(at TRU btw).

You didn't have to use gambits in Final Fantasy XII. I used them when I grinded but still micro-managed for the halfway hard and boss fights.

Almost done with Blue Dragon. I'm sitting at 125G for the game and I can realistically pick up another 200. That's a lot more than the 15 I thought I was going to get just listening to other people that played the game.

Beat Ys VI. The overall feel was very low-budget-wanting-to-be-high-budget (with all the weird FMV modeling and bad sound mixes that implies), but it was a fun game... very fast-paced and hack-and-slashy.

Not going to start another RPG until December due to Thanksgiving next week and a vacation right afterwards (also, I could use a break for awhile) :D Radiata Stories is the next on my agenda, but knowing me, I might change my mind later on.

isnt there a code in Ys 6 that lets u change all the ugly FMVs into the pretty anime ones??

and Ys is never about high budgets... it's about cutting ppl and having women fall for you.

[quote name='blueshinra']Radiata Stories is the next on my agenda, but knowing me, I might change my mind later on.[/QUOTE]
Radiata Stories is poop.

[quote name='JEKKI']isnt there a code in Ys 6 that lets u change all the ugly FMVs into the pretty anime ones??

and Ys is never about high budgets... it's about cutting ppl and having women fall for you.[/QUOTE]Yeah, it just wouldn't be Ys with high budgets (and without Adol's honeys). And as for the FMVs, damn, I wish. The priestess models in the FMVs are just... hideous D: Here's the Prologue, where they appear (no real spoilers):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE957XmUJjs

Fortunately, there aren't a lot of FMVs, and most of the cutscenes are handled with the help of still anime artwork, which does look good.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Radiata Stories is poop.[/QUOTE]
I have a friend who loved it. It seems to be one of those love-or-hate kinds of games. Besides, I've already bought it, so I might as well give it a chance.

[quote name='Krymner']Yeah FFXII isn't one of my favorites. I have always had problems with RPGs where you cannot control your teammates. (The biggest flaw in Persona 3, IMO) At least they added the gambit system, where in most games where you have AI partners, you only get to assign generic "Attack-aggresive" or "Defend-heal" options like that.

Although I didn't much care for the story or sphere grid system of FFX, it did have some of the best combat of the series, I thought.[/QUOTE]

Direct party control in Persona 3 PSP.

Thank fucking God.

I started Radiata but it just seemed exceedingly bland. It didn't do anything wrong but it was just the game that I didn't click with right away so I shipped it off to someone else.

I wasn't Radiata. It was me. I don't think I was ready to jump into another RPG so soon.

So I decided to play through the Xenosaga series. I started up the first one about a week ago. Can anyone comment on the series? I hear the second one is the worst but the last one is the best.

Xenosaga is great if you love a thick story and a good battle system. The third is good, but its battle system is simplified (compared to the other 2) to your standard RPG battle system.

[quote name='Rodimus']What makes Radiata Stories so bad? I've always been a little interested in it.[/QUOTE]
The story is kind of standard IIRC, but the battle music is grating and many of the (completely interchangeable, backstory-less) characters make the game look like it was made for babies.

[quote name='Rodimus']So I decided to play through the Xenosaga series. I started up the first one about a week ago. Can anyone comment on the series? I hear the second one is the worst but the last one is the best.[/QUOTE]
Funny because I'm in the same boat. Owned all the games, but yet to beat them other than the first. I started up the second game awhile ago, but stopped for some reason. I plan to get back to it.

I didn't think the Xenosaga series was bad, just nothing exceptional. The story was heavy, the cutscenes were long, but the battle systems changed up enough so that each game feels more unique. Yes, the second one is the worst, but thankfully it is also the shortest. Might want to play it with the sound down, too.

[quote name='TomJones4']Direct party control in Persona 3 PSP.

Thank fucking God.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Yes. Yes. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they do some of the scenes with a female lead. Especially the one where the boys go around on the beach trying to pick up chicks (one of my fav scenes).

ETA on localization??

Grinding some in FFXII now. Just reached the 85-hour mark. Going back and finishing up a lot of the clan hunts and stuff before I make a final run at the endgame. Didn't realize there were whole areas I haven't even been to before!

[quote name='Rodimus']What makes Radiata Stories so bad? I've always been a little interested in it.[/QUOTE]

The music alone will make you want to rip your own eyeballs out.

Started Legacy of Ys on my shiny new DSi, but I've mainly been putting time into Dragon Age. It's such a great game!

...except for the mages tower, fuck that part.

yeah, xeno 2 was short as fuck. Personally, I don't mind a lot of cutscenes and heavy handed story in RPGs, as long as the story is good. IMHO, the Xenosaga trilogy story is good, so I very much enjoyed the games. 2 wasn't as awful as I had heard, but I do feel they changed way to much in terms of style from 1 to 2. 3 was amazing. Too bad they cut the series off at 3 (wasn't it supposed to be like 7 games at one point?)

And is there confirmation of P3 localization? I have FES on PS2 and was planning on hitting that over winter break, but I can wait for the PSP release if it's coming over here. I swear having time to play PSP/DS games is the only benefit of commuting by train to campus...

And now back to Dragon Age. At Redcliff now. A little disappointed in the lack of substantial loot (I'm still using the family sword I got from the human noble origin), which from what I can see makes rogues all but useless, but fuck it, the game is so amazing I can overlook that.

I think the Xenosaga series was orginnally supposed to go to 6. And as long as I can pause them (which you can in Xenosaga) then I don't mind long cutscenes either. So how long would you say Xenosaga II is? 20 hours?

bread's done
Back