The RPG thread has reached level 2!

[quote name='Krymner']Yes. Yes. Yes. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they do some of the scenes with a female lead. Especially the one where the boys go around on the beach trying to pick up chicks (one of my fav scenes).![/QUOTE]

Yeah, something tells me that Mitsuru, Yukari and a female PC trolling for men wouldn't be quite as amusing or character appropriate.

[quote name='Magus8472']Yeah, something tells me that Mitsuru, Yukari and a female PC trolling for men wouldn't be quite as amusing or character appropriate.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

I think it would be hilarious!

Oh, and is the FES content going to be a part of it too, or is it just the core P3 experience?

I was interested in Final Fantasy 4 Warriors of Light until I learned from previews that they only give your party a few inventory slots for items. If there is one thing I cannot stand in RPGs, it is limited inventory space. Shame, since I really liked the art, job system, and the new approach to the battle system.

[quote name='Rodimus']I think the Xenosaga series was orginnally supposed to go to 6. And as long as I can pause them (which you can in Xenosaga) then I don't mind long cutscenes either. So how long would you say Xenosaga II is? 20 hours?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, 20-25 hours. The series was supposed to be 6 games, and episodes I & II were supposed to be just one game. They split it up because it was taking them too long.

Xenosaga II has a great battle system. In most RPGs, I usually sleepwalk through the battles, but ep II had me thinking harder than a few SRPGs. The only bad thing about it is sometimes you need to spend a turn or two "stocking", which is kind of boring, especially in random encounters.

I loved the whole series, but I wish they had kept the art style from the first game.

[quote name='Krymner']:rofl:

I think it would be hilarious!

Oh, and is the FES content going to be a part of it too, or is it just the core P3 experience?[/QUOTE]
Honestly what made the trolling for woman part fun was the last "girl" you hit on.

The core game will have the FES content(along with new stuff). But The Answer will not be in the game.

Good, "The Answer" part was just a boring dungeon crawl for the most part anyway.

I would love to see another well-done outer-space-style JRPG like the Xenosaga series. The only other one I can think of is the Star Ocean series, which IMO wasn't as good in the story-telling department as the Xeno series.

What I would REALLY love to see is a new "real" Phantasy Star game. The last good one was PS4 on the Genesis, so its been awhile.

[quote name='62t']http://www.aksysgames.com/2009/11/16/an-edition-for-collectors/

Let Aksys Games know what you want in the collectors edition of Record of Agarest War[/QUOTE]

Isn't that being released DL only on PS3?

[quote name='Krymner']
What I would REALLY love to see is a new "real" Phantasy Star game. The last good one was PS4 on the Genesis, so its been awhile.[/QUOTE]
Never going to happen, just like a Shining Force 4 will never be made.

I'm currently enjoying Crimson Gem Saga on the PSP... very fun little game.

Any other recommendations for the PSP that guys feel strongly about? I just got it the other day as early Christmas present from my wife (so I could have it when we travel for Thanksgiving and Christmas) and I went to gamestop and bought CGS immediately based on stuff I already knew about it, but that's all I've got.

So whatcha think?

[quote name='Zmonkay']And now back to Dragon Age. At Redcliff now. A little disappointed in the lack of substantial loot (I'm still using the family sword I got from the human noble origin), which from what I can see makes rogues all but useless, but fuck it, the game is so amazing I can overlook that.[/QUOTE]

I have defintely noticed the lack of loot throughout the game. I have found ONE decent robe for my mage, and that's after fifteen hours of play.

I really need to finish Lost Odyssey. But I can't drive myself to finish it. The same goes for Bowser's Inside Story.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Isn't that being released DL only on PS3?

[/QUOTE]

I am guessing it is going to be a DLC code with the extra stuff

[quote name='62t']I am guessing it is going to be a DLC code with the extra stuff[/QUOTE]

It's kinda dumb to bring out a box with crap, and not have a disc. How much extra could it possibly be to press some discs?

[quote name='Rodimus']I think the Xenosaga series was orginnally supposed to go to 6. And as long as I can pause them (which you can in Xenosaga) then I don't mind long cutscenes either. So how long would you say Xenosaga II is? 20 hours?[/QUOTE]

Correct they where going to make six games but pulled the plug when two came out. I love the Xenosaga games. ( The games in yours and Reis back log make me cry ) II is about 30 hours long. Why a lot of people think two is the worst is a few reasons. The main writer left, some of the voice actors left ( Shion, Kos-Mos and Momo. Momo new voice is very bad ) Some other key people left the team as well. The story takes a big shift in two as well, changing focus but not in a bad way.

The battle system isn't bad, in II and I never had any problems with it, but if you arn't damn near perfect with your planing on the last boss he will kill you so fast. My major grip is the censorship in II and III. The messed with what where some very powerful scenes which take away from the feel.

III they bring back the voice actors for Shion and Kos-Mos, but I am pretty sure Momo is the same from II. The battle system changes once again but in a better way( it just moves fights along faster). They try to tie up a lot of the plot points in this one, so its good and the CG scenes are pretty damn cool to watch. This one should run you the standard 40 hours to finish off.

Over all the series really could have used the six games they where planing on doing so things don't feel so rushed. Some of the side plots that you could tell they wanted to flush out more just couldn't be done in only a three game arc which hurts it some, but over all I think you will enjoy them.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']It's kinda dumb to bring out a box with crap, and not have a disc. How much extra could it possibly be to press some discs?[/QUOTE]

It is not about the cost but they only way SCEA would allow this game is as a DLC.

[quote name='62t']It is not about the cost but they only way SCEA would allow this game is as a DLC.[/QUOTE]

Why? Are they not adding an English voice track or something?

Thanks for the synopsis of the series. Unfortunatly I hit a roadblock in episode 1. I'm at the point where you use Jr. for the first time and I reach a certian enemy and the game freezes. I tried reloding a couple times but it just keeps doing it. I'll have to download a save point past that point I guess.

The US is getting a retail release Record of Agarest War for the 360 only(I seem to recall posting a link somewhere in the last RPG thread). The game will be a DD only release for the PS3.

[quote name='Dunvane']I'm currently enjoying Crimson Gem Saga on the PSP... very fun little game.

Any other recommendations for the PSP that guys feel strongly about? I just got it the other day as early Christmas present from my wife (so I could have it when we travel for Thanksgiving and Christmas) and I went to gamestop and bought CGS immediately based on stuff I already knew about it, but that's all I've got.

So whatcha think?[/QUOTE]

I don't know how you feel about SRPGs, but I loved Jeanne d'Arc. I can't exactly put my finger on why--I think I just really liked the characters and art style (and of course the game was also a lot of fun). Final Fantasy Tactics is good too, although I was probably not as huge a fan as some other people. I haven't played Disgaea yet but it's also supposed to be very good.

As for regular JRPGs, Star Ocean: First Departure was good. The crafting system is like crack. Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth is worth a look too.

[quote name='Dunvane']I'm currently enjoying Crimson Gem Saga on the PSP... very fun little game.

PSP RPGs?

Valkyrie Profile: highly recommend a guide though. systems are not well explained and there's way too much that if you don't do "just right" or miss, you can't get the best ending)

Final Fantasy Crisis Core: If you like more of an "action RPG", this is fun, and I'm not even a big fan of FF7.

Monster Hunter Freedom 2 is sorta an RPG, I guess... Fun, but tough as nails for me, and mainly about the grind. Not much story if that's more your thing.

Do you like tactical RPGs?
Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions is excellent.
Disgaea is a ton of fun too, and if you get into it, can be a HUGE time sink (still slowly chippin away at it...)

Haven't played em, but I hear excellent things about Jeanne D'Arc and Disgaea 2 as well.

I love TRPGs, actually. I'm already planning on picking up Jeanne D'Arc and I'm trying to find other games that are exclusive to the PSP.

Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, Disgaea 2, Valkyrie Profile, etc... I've already played on the first go-round on the PS1/2. I never played Persona, though... how's that?

I was also looking at Mytran Wars (or something like that) as a new TRPG, it looks kind of like Front Mission and Borderlands had a lovechild.

if u liked FFTactics, play it again on PSP. LOVE the new cutscenes :D seriously, really really wish that art style would be used more/at all...

Persona... ugh. I picked it up last week, played for maybe 3-4 hours... and hated every second of it. Somewhat interested in the story, but it was nigh unplayable for me. I hear P2 is much better, so I may track down a copy on PS1 sometime, but P1 was utter garbage. Way way way too many random battles that took too damned long, even with the option to skip animations turned on.

Persona 3 is good if you are ready to put 80 hours into completing a turn-based game. The fusion system is addicting and the story is decent. The best part is the interactions of the characters and the social link system.

I really liked P4, but as much as I hate to admit it, it was too long and difficult for me. I backed myself into a corner at a certain part and quit.

RPG wise:

Jeanne d'Arc
Brave Story New Traveler
FFVII Crisis Core

Oh, Brave Story is recommended? may have to pick that up at some point. I still got enough RPGs on DS, but will look into that one so I've got a little something for my PSP too.

I recommend Brave Story but someone will come in here and say it's cliched and boring. It's very simplistic but that's great if you don't want to delve into a Fusion system like Nocturne or a super long story like Xenosaga.

I'm screwed. I'm absolutly stuck in Xenosaga. It keeps freezing at a certian point and I can't get around it. It's my own fault. I think the game is crashing cause I decided to do a use a Codebreaker cheat which gave me a ton of items. I have an item which I'm not supposed to have this early in the game so it's crashing.

[quote name='depascal22']I recommend Brave Story but someone will come in here and say it's cliched and boring.[/QUOTE]
Nothing wrong with telling the truth. I picked it up for $14 and still thought it was crap. If you're lookinbg for RPGs on the PSP you could do much better.

Beat Dragon Age Origins today. Really fun game, but still leaves much to be desired. Hopefully they get working on it. Not sure if I'll jump into another class/origin or play Mass Effect that I picked up cheap on Steam a week or so ago.

[quote name='Rodimus']I'm screwed. I'm absolutly stuck in Xenosaga. It keeps freezing at a certian point and I can't get around it. It's my own fault. I think the game is crashing cause I decided to do a use a Codebreaker cheat which gave me a ton of items. I have an item which I'm not supposed to have this early in the game so it's crashing.[/QUOTE]

Cheat codes? Shame on you.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Brave Story. It was a simple RPG, with a classic feel. I don't think it will blow anyone away but what it does it does well, and is fun to play.

[quote name='LostRoad']Cheat codes? Shame on you.[/QUOTE]

I know, I got my punishment by wasting 10 hours of my life. I really just wanted to blaze through the first one.

I'm currently working my way through Persona 4. I'm somewhere around Sept 25 and about 63 hours of play time. The problem I have is just time: I can only play a few hours a week, so it's literally taking me months to get through the game. That is sucking some of the fun out of an otherwise awesome game since I feel like I've been playing it forever and I'm just ready for something new.

This is likely the last new game I'll play on the PS2, so I'm looking forward to getting a PS3 and playing some of these newer RPGs I've been reading about. Demon's Souls in particular looks like a nice change of pace from the Personas.

[quote name='Rodimus']I'm screwed. I'm absolutly stuck in Xenosaga. It keeps freezing at a certian point and I can't get around it. It's my own fault. I think the game is crashing cause I decided to do a use a Codebreaker cheat which gave me a ton of items. I have an item which I'm not supposed to have this early in the game so it's crashing.[/QUOTE]
It's a double layered disk, which caused problems in a lot of PS2's. Look up a bit online and see if you're at the part where the layer switch is.

Almost finished cleaning up all the sidequests at the end of FF12. Just a couple more of the more difficult hunts to finish, and one more Esper to catch, and then I can race to the finish.

I haven't decided if I'll jump back into Nocturne or Eternal Sonata when I'm finished with FF12. I'm about half-way thru both of those.

Holy hell, I wonder how Dragon Age measures time played and completion. It says I've played 40 hrs... and am 20% complete! I hadn't believed the rumors that it would be Shadows of Amn long, but damn...

Seems fishy though, as I've completed
the origin, ostagar/kokari wilds, circle tower, and redcliff/urn of sacred ashes. I should only have the dalish elves and the dwarves to recruit, then landsmeet, then endgame.
I'd have thought the percentage would be closer to 50%.

[quote name='depascal22']Might as well finish Eternal Sonata. You're closer to the finish if you're about halfway through.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards. I've really enjoyed the gameplay in ES, but the characters (and to some extents, the story itself) are pretty one-dimensional. The music is good tho.

Nocturne is just a beast that requires constant feeding to get anywhere in the game. I was stuck at some boss character that kept kicking my ass before I put the game up last time. So, when I get back into it, I know I'll have to do a bunch of grinding.

[quote name='Brownjohn']I'm still playing borderlands. I'm a lvl 28 Support Gunner. I'm quite attached to this game. Once I send this back to gamefly, I'll go back to Demon's Souls. I'm almost 50 there. After that, I'll probably start fallout 3.

I'll probably be playing it around the same time.[/QUOTE]

I'm heavily addicted to this game too. I can't seem to put it down.

Bah, still have to go back and finish eternal sonata. I'm stuck on the pirate ship; not used to having all weak characters in my active party, and the boss is tearing me a new one.

Anyone have disagaea 2 for the psp? How is axel mode?

No you don't. Eternal Sonata for me is the worst RPG I have ever played. It's a tour de force of awfulness!

I've only got 4-5 hours to go in Bowser's Inside Story, but I haven't played it in a while and I can't play it for that long at a time (no idea why). It just hasn't grabbed me like the last 2 did.

Eternal Sonata's story left me borderline retarded.

How's Shadow Hearts: Covenet's story? I got this a few days ago but have yet to pop it in. I played SH3 years ago which I liked but always hear people say SH2 is way better.

I just started playing Etrian Odyssey 2 and am loving it. Even if I am getting repeatdly killed by the same glowing orange foe/horse monster on the second level. I want to keep picking it up every free minute I have. Leave me alone kids!

And I'm giving up on Dragon Quest Monsters instead of spending another few weeks or month to synth super S monsters to defeat dr snapped.

[quote name='Rodimus']How's Shadow Hearts: Covenet's story?[/QUOTE]
It's good. Lots of typical JRPG silliness but the characters and setting are intriguing, and it has one of the best endings ever IMO-- multiple endings actually, set up in a really satisfying and thought-provoking way. It ties directly into the first game's story so I'd recommend at least reading the Wikipedia entry to familiarize yourself with the characters.

Eternal Sonata has a retarded story but you can't call it the worst when it has such a good battle system. And it doesn't hurt that it has the drop dead gorgeous visuals.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']It's good. Lots of typical JRPG silliness but the characters and setting are intriguing, and it has one of the best endings ever IMO-- multiple endings actually, set up in a really satisfying and thought-provoking way. It ties directly into the first game's story so I'd recommend at least reading the Wikipedia entry to familiarize yourself with the characters.[/QUOTE]

That's good to hear. I love a good ending. The last good ending I saw was Wild Arms 5.

Got this off Magic Box. There's way to many RPGs for the DS. I wish there was more focus on consoles RPGs.
[quote name='Magic Box']Nippon Ichi of America script editor Nick Doerr mentioned that the US and Europe RPG market, in particular for NDS is over saturated. He thinks the NDS RPG market is declining, some of the budget titles from Japan will probably never come to the market due to oversupply.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back