The RPG thread has reached level 2!

So, thanks to BF, I have 3 more rpgs coming in: Vesperia(previously beat from borrowing from a friend, beat main story; almost none of the sidequests/sideplots), Fallout 3, and Dragonage. Can't really decide which one I should start first. I want to go back to Vesperia and see how the sidequests develop the characters, since they seemed rather shallow from just the main story, but on the other hand, fallout 3! dragonage!

Dragon Age! Seriously, sooo damned good (note: I am biased, as I venerate BGII, and this is as close to an updated BG game as we'll prolly get)

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']TWEWY was a nice change of pace but I wouldn't rank it anywhere near the top RPGs this gen.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't thinking of western RPGs when I said that. But TWEWY showed that RPGs can evolve with the technology and doesn't need to stay with the same formula everytime.

[quote name='Krymner']Am I the only one who didn't much care for TWEWY?[/QUOTE]

I didn't really like it either, so you're definitely not alone.

I'm playing it now, and it's just too foreign. (for lack of a better word) The controls never quite seem to do what I want (especially with the ice pillar attack) and on the 6th day it feels like I've fought the same 4 enemies over and over and over.

[quote name='momouchi']I wasn't thinking of western RPGs when I said that. But TWEWY showed that RPGs can evolve with the technology and doesn't need to stay with the same formula everytime.[/QUOTE]
Even if I left out Western RPGs TWEWY wouldn't be at the top.

I just started playing that again.... I need to do a little grinding in order to defeat a boss.

I picked up Wild Arms 5 today for $20(Came in a box with an artbook). Is it any good?

Last edited by a moderator:
So I guess I'm in the minority with TWEWY, but that's cool. I liked the game but it wasn't for everybody. Speaking of Wild Arms, which is the best on the PS2? I picked up WA3 but haven't started it, and I was curious about the opinions on 4 and Alter Code F.

Don't get me wrong I really loved TWEWY. But the battle system and controls needed some work. I found it impossible to control the 2nd character so I had to let the AI do it. And the touch controls could have used some work(Or perhaps the DS just wasn't up for it).

I also loved TWEWY, and would love a sequel (even a "spritual" successor would be fine), but yeah, either had let the AI do its own thing, or control the main character and mash on the d-pad (or sometimes watch the top screen and rapidly absently scribble on the bottom screen). Still need to go back and play the bonus day.

[quote name='momouchi'] Speaking of Wild Arms, which is the best on the PS2? I picked up WA3 but haven't started it, and I was curious about the opinions on 4 and Alter Code F.[/QUOTE]

Every Wild ARMs game was a masterpiece. Alter Code F is just a remake of the first one (which was my favorite), although it had some minor localization problems.
4 was super short by RPG standards. About 20 hours and close to no side quests.
3 and 5 were pretty good.
I'm getting worried that a 6 will never be made.

I hope Super Robot Endless Frontier 2 will add a skip animation feature found in Cross Edge. Those animation sequences are way too long. It doesn't help that majority of bosses have tons of life which drag the battle too long. I hope they add different type of bosses. It's annoying fighting the same bosses over and over again. Is it so hard to add some generic robot, an elemental dragon or large chested boss instead of facing the same boss about 5+ times.

Wild Arms is good series, but I don't consider it a master piece. It good change of pace with less emo characters that can equip a gun.

It just sunk into my think skull what TWEWY ment. Anyways I liked it. Battles were fun and unique but the dialogue was sleep inducing.

Add me to the list of people who thought TWEWY was alright. Personally I thought the plot was interesting and I really liked the character designs.

But as people have mentioned the battle system was just too hectic for me, but my only major problem was the partners since each character has a different method for attacking and you don't use each one for all that long which means I never felt like I could really master any of them.

Also on the topic of TWEWY I looked like a complete idiot while playing that game, lol. Since I basically just blew into the mic to activate the noise badges (instead of saying some phrase or making some noise which would be equally annoying). So during the harder battles in the game I was seriously blowing, tapping, and rubbing while jamming d-pad buttons on my DS like crazy leading anyone in the room to look on in confusion.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I just started playing that again.... I need to do a little grinding in order to defeat a boss.[/QUOTE]FYI, if u continue playing the game, you do not need to grind.

the game gives u a crap load of money... just always have the best equipment and keep full stock of items then u should be fine.

The battles in this game are loooooooong, thus the game is very reliant on the player's generous item usage.

furthermore, always try to get EXP bonuses by finishing off your opponents with super moves or an assist.

the weird thing about this game is it's very short, like 10 hours... but the game takes 30 hours to beat coz of the frequent and lengthy battles. It's funny how the game design balances this out by making your environments real small so u have less area to walk thru, and also making your walking speed real fast.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Wild ARMs and Suikoden are my favorite series, hands down. Both of which, I fear for their future.[/QUOTE]

Suikoden is such an awesome series, only 4 was kind of weak. I hope your fear is groundless, because I've been craving Suikoden 6 for over 3 months now.

My only compliant about Endless Frontier is you can't understand the post battle convos. But thats an extremely minor one. Other then that it's pretty fun... now I just need to do some grinding to take on a boss.

[quote name='dr_illingsworth']Suikoden is such an awesome series, only 4 was kind of weak. I hope your fear is groundless, because I've been craving Suikoden 6 for over 3 months now.[/QUOTE]

The Suikoden fear isn't as bad as the Wild ARMs fear because they did come out with that DS Suikoden not that long ago.

As for Endless Frontier, I played it for about 10 hours religiously and then never picked it up again. I get bored of RPGs where I need to be conscious at all times during battle. There are sometimes where I just want to hit 'attack' four times and let the characters go at it.

[quote name='Rodimus']I beat this a few months ago and I loved it. The puzzles were probably my favorite part. I wrote a review for it. If you're interested check it out.

http://www.specialtygamer.com/features/modern-post2000/wild-arms-5-ps2-review/[/QUOTE]
Nice review. I really enjoyed WA5 too. Great fast-paced, streamlined gameplay and the characters were pretty engaging too. Unfortunately I had to shelve the game after I tried 5 or 10 times to beat a certain boss battle and just could not do it. I think it was the boss of the second tower toward the end of the game. Persephone maybe? Anyway, I had had very little trouble with the game before that point but for whatever reason that one battle just stopped me cold. I want to finish the game and find out how the story ends but I don't want to have to go back and grind for hours and hours just to get past that fight.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']As Jekki said, you never need to grind. Just get enough cash to keep your equipment up to date.[/QUOTE]
Seeing as the boss and her party killed one character in 2 hits I'll have to disagree.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Seeing as the boss and her party killed one character in 2 hits I'll have to disagree.[/QUOTE]like I said, keep your items full stocked too.

your characters will die in battle... A LOT. Smelling Salts + healing techniques/items are your means of survival.

the time u spend grinding could jus easily be spent exiting the dungeon and stocking up in a town.

[quote name='JEKKI']like I said, keep your items full stocked too.

the time u spend grinding could jus easily be spent exiting the dungeon and stocking up in a town.[/QUOTE]
Keeping a decent stock of items is just common sense in an RPG. Also you kind of need to do a little grinding for money as well...

I tried Wild ARMs 3 but couldn't get into it. Do you guys consider the first two games better than 3?

Also, I hate to be the first Suikoden hater on this forum but I just couldn't get into the third one.

Maybe I have to go back and play the first games of both series to find out what all the buzz is about.

[quote name='depascal22']I tried Wild ARMs 3 but couldn't get into it. Do you guys consider the first two games better than 3?

Also, I hate to be the first Suikoden hater on this forum but I just couldn't get into the third one.

Maybe I have to go back and play the first games of both series to find out what all the buzz is about.[/QUOTE]

The first 2 WA are definitely better.
Suikoden is fine for its time, Suikoden 2 is one of the best game on PSOne.

I'm just waiting for Suikoden 2 on PSN. I still don't understand why it hasn't been released yet.

Persona for the PSP is $15 at Amazon right now. I picked it up along with Dissidia for $30.

[quote name='62t']Suikoden is fine for its time, Suikoden 2 is one of the best game on PSOne.[/QUOTE]
Very true. My only real complaint about Suikoden 2 is that the main character looks... well, "pussy-ish" compared to Tyr McDohl.

Finally beat FFXII. Put up a short review on my CAG blog.

Turning now to Eternal Sonata. I was about 25-30 hours in, so I'm just a bit over halfway thru.

I also picked up Etrian Odyssey II again. Haven't played it in awhile, and was only on the 6th floor, so I still have a long way to go.

I loved TWEWY but my main complaint was that the main character was a real shithead in the beginning of the game and only became tolerable throughout the game. Speaking of which, I'm playing Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume and I really hate the main character. The battle system is really fun though.

I'm about to start Chrono Trigger on the DS. This will be my first time playing the game (in any form). Anything I should know?

[quote name='Blackout']I'm about to start Chrono Trigger on the DS. This will be my first time playing the game (in any form). Anything I should know?[/QUOTE]

You should know that you are in for the greatest JRPG of all time.

I'm close to finishing Bowser's Inside Story. I'm past the halfway point in the Final Dungeon, about 16 and a half hours in and Mario, Luigi and Bowser are levels
27, 27 and 24 respectively
. Hopefully I won't have to grind. I wish there was an XP booster piece of gear because Mario got behind Luigi by about 400 XP a while ago and I like to level up my characters evenly.

It seems Record of Agarest War will take up around 10 gigs. I can't say I'm surprised since I heard the game would be pretty large. But unless this extra content is awesome I'll just get the 360 version(Since it's will be a retail disc).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Blackout']I'm about to start Chrono Trigger on the DS. This will be my first time playing the game (in any form). Anything I should know?[/QUOTE]

Don't kill Magus. Other than that there's little else you can do to screw up.

bread's done
Back