The Shockmaster (And Other Things Of Wrestlecrap) Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So those little video vault time fillers they show between shows have been paying off. In the last two days I've seen the M.O.M. rap video/debut vignette and The Buddy Rose Blow Away Diet ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've been going through some of the 98 PPVs and yeah we all know they're some of the best.  What occurred to me during this is just how patient they used to be in booking and long term storylines.  I mean, we had a storyline start at Breakdown where Stone Cold gets double pinned from Kane/Undertaker which prompts him to be declared to lose the belt.  Then comes a championship match on Judgment Day where Stone Cold has to be referee.  Next up is Survivor Series where they hold a tournament for it and Stone Cold is eliminated. 

Keeping the belt of Stone Cold continued for another 6 months where Stone Cold was slowly working his way back to getting the belt.  One of the hottest guys in the business at the time, and they spent 6 months of him not having the belt and managed to credibly tell a story (and book some interesting matches along the way) of his journey back to the top.  Guess what happened?  The company didn't burn down and it got hotter than ever.

These days there's hardly anything on that level.  Everything is quick payoff, feud's last 1-2 PPVs tops.  There's hardly even any service or mention of feuds that have occurred just months after they've wrapped up.

So I've been going through some of the 98 PPVs and yeah we all know they're some of the best. What occurred to me during this is just how patient they used to be in booking and long term storylines. I mean, we had a storyline start at Breakdown where Stone Cold gets double pinned from Kane/Undertaker which prompts him to be declared to lose the belt. Then comes a championship match on Judgment Day where Stone Cold has to be referee. Next up is Survivor Series where they hold a tournament for it and Stone Cold is eliminated.

Keeping the belt of Stone Cold continued for another 6 months where Stone Cold was slowly working his way back to getting the belt. One of the hottest guys in the business at the time, and they spent 6 months of him not having the belt and managed to credibly tell a story (and book some interesting matches along the way) of his journey back to the top. Guess what happened? The company didn't burn down and it got hotter than ever.

These days there's hardly anything on that level. Everything is quick payoff, feud's last 1-2 PPVs tops. There's hardly even any service or mention of feuds that have occurred just months after they've wrapped up.
For the most part I could agree with you on this, however, there is ONE glaring exception to this.

Daniel Bryan.

Since the swerve ending at SummerFest last year, Bryan has been chasing the belt and fighting the authority. This is going on what, 8-9 months now? Granted, it does not seem like the payoff everyone wants is finally coming, ie: Bryan getting the title at Mania. However, it does look like he is going to possibly conclude the angle with the authority in a match with Trips at Mania. Maybe, somehow, he beats Trips and then gets thrown into a spontaneous 3 way match as the main event and finally gets the win?

I know, don't count on it. Maybe they continue the slow burn till Summerfest this year and he wins the title, climaxing a yearlong journey?

At this point I can only pray they add a stipulation to the HHH Bryan Match tha Bryan gets a title shot later that night if he wins. 

I think there may be riots if he's not involved somehow in the title match. 

At this point I can only pray they add a stipulation to the HHH Bryan Match tha Bryan gets a title shot later that night if he wins.

I think there may be riots if he's not involved somehow in the title match.
Yeah, if "riots" are paying WWE money, booing, and then leaving in an orderly fashion when the event concludes.

The double duty scenario for Bryan does seem to be popping up more over the last few days, though. I'm not sure I see it happening, but at the same time there is no way in hell that the title match / main event of The 30th Wrestlemania is a boring heel vs a we-had-no-choice heel.

I have a hard time believing that the Batista vs Orton match will actually be the main event... It may be the WWE WHC Match, but there's no reason why it has to close out the show. There have been Wrestlemanias where the World Title Match wasn't the main event, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case here. Hell, the WWF Championship wasn't even defended at the first Wrestlemania. 

I have a hard time believing that the Batista vs Orton match will actually be the main event... It may be the WWE WHC Match, but there's no reason why it has to close out the show. There have been Wrestlemanias where the World Title Match wasn't the main event, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case here. Hell, the WWF Championship wasn't even defended at the first Wrestlemania.
We've still got time for them to book this years LT vs Bam Bam: Ray Lewis vs Brodus Clay.

There's also a rumor now that they'll be
unifying the IC and US titles, which makes sense since the brand split is over. Whoever mentioned it above about a European-level title, I agree they need that.

Now that the Punk returning rumors have picked up a bit, I guess that could solve the heel vs heel issue. Unfortunately it doesn't solve the issue of Bryan not being in the title match.

Fan orgasm scenario would be Punk winning the title tomorrow night and then insisting Bryan be added to the match - not so much as a favor to Bryan, but to stick it to HHH ("if you don't add him, I walk again with your title, and your biggest show is fucked" or something), so you have a redux of the WM20 main (two face super workers & heel everyone is sick of).

If Punk does show up tomorrow, they need to do it first segment. No reason to have the fans shit on 2 hours and 30 minutes of a 3 hour show (brief stops for Shield/Wyatts and DB segments).

Apparently Angle is saying he'll be back in WWE in September. Granted I haven't seen any of his TNA run but if Angle's still an awesome performer, I'd love to see him feud with Bryan or Punk (if he's coming back, which it seems like he is).

I believe Angle will come back but there is a very slim chance he will pass WWEs physical.

So if he does come back, I see him more of a trainer role. But come on, who wouldn't want to be trained by a future hall of famer

Antonio Inoki wishes you luck.

tumblr_lruptlSz741qh0ej5o1_500.gif

3550918390_5585b37acb_o.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lw8_AKZW6I

With all due respect, historically I've come to stop listening after the words "Angle is saying..."
Didn't he also say in the past that Vince would occasionally send him flowers asking for him to come back? :roll:

There's no way in hell unless he really takes time off to heal & get the needed surgeries done that he'd pass a WWE physical.

Didn't he also say in the past that Vince would occasionally send him flowers asking for him to come back? :roll:

There's no way in hell unless he really takes time off to heal & get the needed surgeries done that he'd pass a WWE physical.
Not to mention his substance abuse issues, ones that he wouldn't address when he was in WWE and led to his release. I know he went into rehab last year but man with his track record, I don't see WWE signing him.

Well if Punk is back Monday he should definitely start a beef with Batista since he's the biggest "internet hero" there is.

For the most part I could agree with you on this, however, there is ONE glaring exception to this.

Daniel Bryan.

Since the swerve ending at SummerFest last year, Bryan has been chasing the belt and fighting the authority. This is going on what, 8-9 months now? Granted, it does not seem like the payoff everyone wants is finally coming, ie: Bryan getting the title at Mania. However, it does look like he is going to possibly conclude the angle with the authority in a match with Trips at Mania. Maybe, somehow, he beats Trips and then gets thrown into a spontaneous 3 way match as the main event and finally gets the win?

I know, don't count on it. Maybe they continue the slow burn till Summerfest this year and he wins the title, climaxing a yearlong journey?
I definitely agree that Daniel Bryan v. Authority has been one ongoing story. Where I disagree though is that it just isn't the same level of creativity in it (booking or storyline) as what we saw with Stone Cold v. McMahon. Where Bryan has basically been boss is gonna throw this guy at you or screw you this way, Stone Cold v. McMahon had that as well as further implications booked into it (Kane/Undertaker, Corporate Champ Rock).

Serious case of rose-colored glasses.
Maybe, but I still feel like Stone Cold v. McMahon was one of the most compelling storylines/events in modern wrestling. Nothing since it has touched it. Watching Survivor Series 98 yesterday and seeing the swerve at the end? Just as exciting and fun today as it was 15 years ago (also never realized until now that it was essentially the exact same ending as the Montreal Screwjob, Rock applies sharpshooter McMahon calls for the bell; probably because Survivor Series 98 was right around when I first started watching wrestling and hadn't yet heard about Montreal Screwjob). CM Punk's departure with the belt and the preceding "pipebomb" had the potential but they wrapped it up the whole thing just as it was getting started.

Oh that I agree with but it was a combination of things like really tapping into what working class people who watch WWE were feeling at the time and sure people still hate their bosses today but it can't be like it was when they first captured that lightning in a bottle. But aside from that main storyline there was a lot of terrible garbage going on in that era as well. I mean this was the same era that brought us stuff like the Goddwinns, Ahmed Johnson, That awful biker gang (all those "gang" groups really), Sexual Chocolate, etc. WWF/E is really a company that just throws pretty much everything out there and see what sticks. Truth is most of it doesn't so we just fondly remember the very best from the "good old days" and I say that as someone who has been watching since the mid-80s. Though admittedly I stopped for awhile and completely missed Punk's rise to the top, his documentary on Netflix actually got me back into wrestling in late 2012 and while the storylines could use some work I think overall the actual wrestling product has been pretty good.

"i mean, yea...uh, I don't know. It's not like-it's not like-anyone, look, no one's going to tell you, but, uh, I mean, yea, it's, it's, I was, I mean, put it this way, I was told outright he's going to be there, so, uh, but, that doesn't necessarily, you know, I mean, till he's there, it's not like he's there. So I don't know, I couldn't tell you, I don't say it was 100%, I was told it was 100% though, so there you go." -Wordsmith Dave Meltzer

CM Punk confirmed!
Maybe.
For sure (?)
Uh

Looks like AJ Styles botched the "Styles Clash" move again and injured another wrestler.

British wrestler "Lionheart" suffered a broken neck after taking a botched Styles Clash during last night's main event against AJ Styles at a Preston City Wrestling show. Fans described the scene as being very scary. The promotion announced via it's Twitter that an MRI revealed a broken neck and made the following statement:

"We are looking at the best of a bad situation. He does not need surgery and he is sitting upright without a neck brace on. No nerve damage can be seen and hopefully just a clean break. As we said before he has good movement in his arms and legs."
Is this his new gimmick? :???:

"i mean, yea...uh, I don't know. It's not like-it's not like-anyone, look, no one's going to tell you, but, uh, I mean, yea, it's, it's, I was, I mean, put it this way, I was told outright he's going to be there, so, uh, but, that doesn't necessarily, you know, I mean, till he's there, it's not like he's there. So I don't know, I couldn't tell you, I don't say it was 100%, I was told it was 100% though, so there you go." -Wordsmith Dave Meltzer

CM Punk confirmed!
Maybe.
For sure (?)
Uh
:lol: Please tell me that's a direct quote.

:lol: Please tell me that's a direct quote.
Definitely. Dude really does have issues with relaying information verbally, especially when it's iffy stuff like the Punk thing. It's like he believes that saying "I think so, but it's not a sure thing" is an unacceptably short answer, so he has to make it longer and try to explain something that really doesn't need explaining.

I do kind of get that, since people love to point out when he's wrong. Just doesn't have a particularly elegant way of explaining himself.

Meltzer needs to watch more Sunday morning political talk shows and practice those rhetorical moves if he wants to master the art of deftly saying a lot of words, but committing to none of them.

After watching a video on Austin the other day and seeing him discuss the piledriver he took from Owen at Summerfest, it's hard for me to "blame" either wrestler in the case of a Styles Clash. But there's something unsettling about the discussion that "you don't tuck your chin" for me. I guess it's hard for me to defend a move where the difference between safety and serious injury is such a thin line, and that thin line involves a habit that wrestlers learn on day one of school.

Then again, isn't that "thin line" all of wrestling?

AJ Styles should probably re-evaluate doing the Styles Clash if he can't guarantee that he can do it safely. Whether it is his fault or the fault of the presumably less experienced indie wrestlers doesn't really matter at this point. I mean, two guys with serious neck injuries in two months isn't good.

For all the things WWE does wrong these days, banning piledrivers, head shots, and blading are 3 things I think they've done right over the years. Styles Clash isn't exactly a piledriver but it's pretty close in terms if potential neck injury.

Hey guys, anyone in here handy in image editing? I'm starting a wrestling podcast and I have everything done and ready to add to itunes expect a podcast cover file. Can anyone help me out? Below is a link to the image I want to use. I need it resized to 1400x1400 (or somewhere aorund there) and to say "Thunderlips Wrestling Podcast". I don't care about the font or color of text just as long as it's very readable. Thanks to anyone considering helping.

http://innerframepublic.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/old-school-wrestling.jpg

Agreed, RVB.

Boxing up items to sell (reducing physical clutter in my life), came across Blu-Ray of WMXXVII. Three thoughts came to mind:

a) I bought this?

b) Have I ever watched this?

c) I wonder if this is the worst Wrestlemania card out there (yes, even exceeding the one with Lawrence Taylor).

Meltzer needs to watch more Sunday morning political talk shows and practice those rhetorical moves if he wants to master the art of deftly saying a lot of words, but committing to none of them.

After watching a video on Austin the other day and seeing him discuss the piledriver he took from Owen at Summerfest, it's hard for me to "blame" either wrestler in the case of a Styles Clash. But there's something unsettling about the discussion that "you don't tuck your chin" for me. I guess it's hard for me to defend a move where the difference between safety and serious injury is such a thin line, and that thin line involves a habit that wrestlers learn on day one of school.

Then again, isn't that "thin line" all of wrestling?
I quite agree with you. Fantastic post. Strictly from an art of professional wrestling perspective, isn't the main difference in taking a piledriver and a Styles Clash is that you tuck your head in for a piledriver and you go the opposite way for the Styles Clash?

Agreed, RVB.

Boxing up items to sell (reducing physical clutter in my life), came across Blu-Ray of WMXXVII. Three thoughts came to mind:

a) I bought this?
b) Have I ever watched this?
c) I wonder if this is the worst Wrestlemania card out there (yes, even exceeding the one with Lawrence Taylor).
Whenever I think of worst Wrestlemania, I always think of IX. looking at the card for XXVII you're right in that it's a lot weaker than I remember.

In the case of the Owen Hart piledriver, it was just a case of Owen not being able to improvise well. There was nothing Austin could have done to prevent the injury. For some reason Owen thought that an impromptu Tombstone was the best filler move.

In the case of people taking the Styles Clash incorrectly, it's not like it was a new move or he's a backyard wrestler. He's been wrestling on TV for about 13 years now. I feel bad that two people got injured but it isn't like they were going out there with someone sloppy like Misawa who used to improvise/botch his finishers or the Steiners/Vader/Nash who would do their moves without any concern for their opponent. American wrestling is very formulaic, especially when working with someone who is big on certain spots.

You only need to look at the time that the jobber Bull Pain thought the Pedigree was a jumping piledriver. Had he watched even one Triple H match he would have known what to do.

Hell, I've rarely seen a diva do a move that didn't worry me to death during the setup. It's not Sherri or Luna or Moolah in there wearing a butterfly belt. Some of them are glorified car models and they're doing table spots, top rope moves, and moves to the outside without getting seriously injured.

AJ Styles should reconsider the Styles Clash simply because it looks ineffective and/or stupid. This has been one of a few opinions I've kept over the last several years. What is it supposed to damage? The opponent's knees? Because that is what absorbs the most impact. I dunno. It just looks ridiculous.  And, hey, apparently it's dangerous, which is somewhat amusing because the move looks harmless.

Has Styles injured anyone with that move in TNA? I would assume that Styles would tell the guy how to take the move when going through spots and the finish beforehand. isn't ROH more for up and comers anyway? Sounds like this could be blamed as rookie mistakes.

Regarding the network:  I'm not surprised by the technical difficulties, but would you guys say they occurred more during the NXT show or the pre and post Raw shows?     I'm not subscribing until Royal Rumble time where I'm confident the kinks will be worked out.

Regarding Daniel Bryan and the title: I figured when he was stripped of the title on Raw, there would be a tournament leading to him getting it back (especially since it was to unify the belts). Then when it didn't happen, I thought it would be cool to do it at WM 30; after all, they haven't had one since WM 10. I was hoping for a KOTR style tournament but if they did something like Batista vs. Orton and the winner faces the winner of Daniel Bryan vs. ????? (Sheamus? Cm Punk?) then I wouldn't mind. I prefer what's going on now over yet another Cena title run.

Creative is trying to keep people guessing on when Daniel gets the belt. And they knew Batista would be booed for winning the Rumble. It was pretty obvious when at the Rumble, Ric Flair predicted Batista to win and he yelled "learn to love it". Then the very next night, Triple H opens the show and trolls people on their D Bri disappointment. They're not totally stupid, but these marks acting like Batista is the devil sure are. 

And I knew Daniel Bryan wasn't going to be in the Rumble since Bray Wyatt wasn't in it. Think about it: Why would the guy who lost his match (Bryan) be in it yet not the guy who won it (Bray)?  Although it was annoying when Orton cut a promo teasing they would be in the Rumble match. Speaking of promos, Rey Mysterio also did one so if people were paying attention they would know he was #30 right away.

That felt good to let all of that out.

Whenever I think of worst Wrestlemania, I always think of IX. looking at the card for XXVII you're right in that it's a lot weaker than I remember.
I said it before and Ill say it again, WM IX was pretty fun to watch. Could have been booked better (ie. put the tag belts on the Headshrinkers before, making their match for the titles, freeing up Hogan and Beefcake to win cleanly. Have Tatanka get pinned. etc). Most of the hate seemed to come from people who read the results and hate Hogan.

WrestleMania 2 is the worst WrestleMania... besides XXVII of course. Anything with Miz in the main event far outdoes anything else when it comes to sucking. WM2 was just a mess all around. I think it was the one in Chicago with a ring half the size as a normal one. Really none of the great WM Moments came from that show. Was just forgettable and poorly put together.

IX does get dumped on (rightly) a ton, mostly because of the main event and Hogan being Hogan.

I'm partial to it since Razor Ramon is on the card and it was the first PPV I paid for. $29.99, I think.

WM16 the worst.... wut? I mean it has the first TLC match between Dudleys, Hardys, and Edge/Christian. That alone puts it above the real crapfest that's known as WM IX.

Also a TON of CM Punk chants on the preshow.

TLC and the Angle/Jericho/Benoit 3-way.

WWE has a "best factions" dvd set coming out, including sections on...Right to Censor, Nexus, and the Oddities.

Heh. I mean, it's decent otherwise, but FFS, might as well throw in The Corre and The UNION at that point, if you're gonna fluff it up with WWE-specific talent. Where's Varsity Club?

(kidding about that last point.)

Punk is apparently there. This is going around Twitter as being shot outside the arena earlier today.

2hUbyFq.jpg

Josh just acknowledged the Punk chants on the pre-show and said "we haven't seen him since The Royal Rumble." I'd say the odds just went way up.

Edit: Yeah. And that picture. Kind of sucks they didn't just keep him on a bus until showtime like they did with Jake Roberts.

Glad I didn't put money on that. Fully expected the fake out but would have thought it would be Barrett instead of Heyman.

I do love Mark Henry's gimmick of idiot who just can't take a hint.

TLC and the Angle/Jericho/Benoit 3-way.

WWE has a "best factions" dvd set coming out, including sections on...Right to Censor, Nexus, and the Oddities.

Heh. I mean, it's decent otherwise, but FFS, might as well throw in The Corre and The UNION at that point, if you're gonna fluff it up with WWE-specific talent. Where's Varsity Club?

(kidding about that last point.)
You shut your dirty mouth!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back