The "Stay Classy, Republicans" Super Nintendo Chalmers Thread

Had a republican family member go off on a tangent today about liberal views. Towards the end he went off on welfare moms...then in the next breathe bitched about abortion. I generally listen passively and try not to get involved(you will never change peoples views so there is no point)but I could not help but bust up laughing in tears as someone in one single thought basically said no one should be allowed to have abortions, but neither should they be able to suck off the tit of welfare that hard working me like himself pay for either.

Sometimes I wish I could see the magical world modern day conservatives have in their head. Like honestly, in his head does he picture that she just has the baby and magically the next day she is back to work at a decent paying job while a doppleganger version of her tends to the child? Or is the magical fantasy that the dad stepped up and did the right thing and HE had a great paying job so they got married and she stayed home popping out more kids and taking care of his needs? Honestly...I just do not understand people 98% of the time....I mean no abortions, but no welfare programs either...and yet Republicans are the party of "know" not no.....ugggg

[quote name='MSI Magus']Had a republican family member go off on a tangent today about liberal views. Towards the end he went off on welfare moms...then in the next breathe bitched about abortion. I generally listen passively and try not to get involved(you will never change peoples views so there is no point)but I could not help but bust up laughing in tears as someone in one single thought basically said no one should be allowed to have abortions, but neither should they be able to suck off the tit of welfare that hard working me like himself pay for either.

Sometimes I wish I could see the magical world modern day conservatives have in their head. Like honestly, in his head does he picture that she just has the baby and magically the next day she is back to work at a decent paying job while a doppleganger version of her tends to the child? Or is the magical fantasy that the dad stepped up and did the right thing and HE had a great paying job so they got married and she stayed home popping out more kids and taking care of his needs? Honestly...I just do not understand people 98% of the time....I mean no abortions, but no welfare programs either...and yet Republicans are the party of "know" not no.....ugggg[/QUOTE]

How about people taking responsibility for their actions? You are skipping the part in which people make particular decisions before they are pregnant. While I do think there should be abortions for particular cases such as rape, or threat to the mother, and there should be aid to newborn mothers, I do not think they should reap so many benefits of being unresponsible.

Case in point, I have to pay a pretty penny to go to college, I get student loans but they arent enough to cover tuition so I have to pay out of pocket a certain amount as well. My coworker who makes like 6% more than me, has a 4 or 5 year old when she was 18, and gets her college completely paid for and more. She even gets a debit card in which she can spend left over money on whatever she wants. Now you can say being a single mother sucks, and is difficult, and I am sure it is. But I'm a guy and it kind of makes me think I want to be a single mother too. Joking aside, how come the irresponsible people in society get all the benefits in the name of digging them out of the gutter? I'm not complaining that she is getting aid, but by giving me no aid im getting in the gutter, and giving her 110% of what she needs is a little excessive.

I'm not a father, but I think kids cost money. You want people to take responsibility for their actions. You think that abortion should be banned except for the cases you outlined above. What happens when they are born? You want to give them help so they can succeed and have a good life. Nothing wrong with that.

[quote name='Knoell']How about people taking responsibility for their actions? You are skipping the part in which people make particular decisions before they are pregnant. While I do think there should be abortions for particular cases such as rape, or threat to the mother, and there should be aid to newborn mothers, I do not think they should reap so many benefits of being unresponsible.

Case in point, I have to pay a pretty penny to go to college, I get student loans but they arent enough to cover tuition so I have to pay out of pocket a certain amount as well. My coworker who makes like 6% more than me, has a 4 or 5 year old when she was 18, and gets her college completely paid for and more. She even gets a debit card in which she can spend left over money on whatever she wants. Now you can say being a single mother sucks, and is difficult, and I am sure it is. But I'm a guy and it kind of makes me think I want to be a single mother too. Joking aside, how come the irresponsible people in society get all the benefits in the name of digging them out of the gutter? I'm not complaining that she is getting aid, but by giving me no aid im getting in the gutter, and giving her 110% of what she needs is a little excessive.[/QUOTE]

We all know that the welfare system is excessive at times and given to the wrong people far too often. That does not mean though that there are not many many many people out there including young mothers who deserve the support. You phrased things in such a typical way though, immediately jumping to the conclusion that someone on welfare must have made stupid choices in their life. What about people that made the right choices and only had one partner they were with steady and DID use protection just to defy the odds and get pregnant. That stuff DOES happen you know? Hell my 11 year old brother that my mom had when she was 42 is living proof of that. They defied the odds and had a child even though my mom was on birth control and even though she was in her 40s... My mom and dad were both working when they had him so thankfully it all worked out well, but just a few years later my mom DID loose her job and my dads body after like 30 years of doing Drywall gave out on him, and they DID have to go on welfare. That situation could have very easily have happened 3 or 4 years earlier and at that point again not ALL but far too many conservatives like my Uncle would say no welfare and no abortion which is an insane stance.

[quote name='SpazX']Why are they always helping the people that need help?![/QUOTE]

because I dont need help either. Im taking out student loans because I want to.

[quote name='Knoell']My coworker who makes like 6% more than me, has a 4 or 5 year old when she was 18, and gets her college completely paid for and more. She even gets a debit card in which she can spend left over money on whatever she wants. Now you can say being a single mother sucks, and is difficult, and I am sure it is. But I'm a guy and it kind of makes me think I want to be a single mother too. Joking aside, how come the irresponsible people in society get all the benefits in the name of digging them out of the gutter? I'm not complaining that she is getting aid, but by giving me no aid im getting in the gutter, and giving her 110% of what she needs is a little excessive.[/QUOTE]

Reforming welfare ranks #356 on my list of things we should be worrying about. It's arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

We should be focused on eliminating loopholes and making the rich pay their fair share of taxes. We also need to regulate the hell out of the banks. Then we need to ramp up and enforce safety and enviornmental regulations on all industries in a proactive manner, so we can avoid disasters like the recent collapsed mine and blown up oil rig. That's a start.

Do you care about any of that, or do you just sweat the small stuff?

[quote name='camoor']Reforming welfare ranks #356 on my list of things we should be worrying about. It's arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

We should be focused on eliminating loopholes and making the rich pay their fair share of taxes. We also need to regulate the hell out of the banks. Then we need to ramp up and enforce safety and enviornmental regulations on all industries in a proactive manner, so we can avoid disasters like the recent collapsed mine and blown up oil rig. That's a start.

Do you care about any of that, or do you just sweat the small stuff?[/QUOTE]

Thats a classic politician response, we cant fix something because theres something else more important.

Listen I am not saying we shouldnt give more aid to single mother students than just regular students, but I do think that the balance is out of whack. When I get no financial aid for education, and single mothers get 110% of what they need for education, and we make almost the same, I think something is wrong.

[quote name='Knoell']Thats a classic politician response, we cant fix something because theres something else more important.

Listen I am not saying we shouldnt give more aid to single mother students than just regular students, but I do think that the balance is out of whack. When I get no financial aid for education, and they get 110% of what they need for education, and we make almost the same, I think something is wrong.[/QUOTE]

You didn't factor the kid portion in your equation.

[quote name='MSI Magus']We all know that the welfare system is excessive at times and given to the wrong people far too often. That does not mean though that there are not many many many people out there including young mothers who deserve the support. You phrased things in such a typical way though, immediately jumping to the conclusion that someone on welfare must have made stupid choices in their life. What about people that made the right choices and only had one partner they were with steady and DID use protection just to defy the odds and get pregnant. That stuff DOES happen you know? Hell my 11 year old brother that my mom had when she was 42 is living proof of that. They defied the odds and had a child even though my mom was on birth control and even though she was in her 40s... My mom and dad were both working when they had him so thankfully it all worked out well, but just a few years later my mom DID loose her job and my dads body after like 30 years of doing Drywall gave out on him, and they DID have to go on welfare. That situation could have very easily have happened 3 or 4 years earlier and at that point again not ALL but far too many conservatives like my Uncle would say no welfare and no abortion which is an insane stance.[/QUOTE]

I dont think conservatives say "no welfare". You are doing the same thing that you are railing on me for doing, you are immediately jumping to the conclusion that conservatives want zero spending and everybody for themselves.

[quote name='xycury']You didn't factor the kid portion in your equation.[/QUOTE]

I said single mother in the beginning of it but I guess ill add it in the other part. Or was this some type of backhanded comment?

[quote name='Knoell']I said single mother in the beginning of it but I guess ill add it in the other part. Or was this some type of backhanded comment?[/QUOTE]

No.

You + work - school = your life

Single mom + work - school + school - kid = their life

Your life thier life

[quote name='Knoell']Thats a classic politician response, we cant fix something because theres something else more important.

Listen I am not saying we shouldnt give more aid to single mother students than just regular students, but I do think that the balance is out of whack. When I get no financial aid for education, and they get 110% of what they need for education, and we make almost the same, I think something is wrong.[/QUOTE]

Did I say we shouldn't fix it, or that I wouldn't worry about it? Nope.

I just said it's akin to arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. I would rather have voter and Congressional energy be directed towards getting the economy back on track, fixing the deficit, and placing safeguards against major disasters, and when happy days are here again we can go back to arguing back and forth about all the chickenshit.

I mean, I've already wasted two posts responding to this nonsense issue that won't amount to as much as a footnote in even the most exhaustively detailed historical accounts of the current era. In that time I wonder how many more billions wall street execs have raked in while American cities crumble, how many more gallons of oil have seeped into the gulf, and how many hours closer we are to the next disaster wrought by government deregulation.

Time is a precious thing. Energy is a precious thing. Those who craft policy have little of both. In a general sense you advocate for efficient government but when it comes down to specifics you want to focus attention on a petty issue because it happens to come within view of your myopic anecdotal perspective. Don't you see the irony in that?

[quote name='camoor']Did I say we shouldn't fix it, or that I wouldn't worry about it? Nope.

I just said it's akin to arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. I would rather have voter and Congressional energy be directed towards getting the economy back on track, fixing the deficit, and placing safeguards against major disasters, and when happy days are here again we can go back to arguing back and forth about all the chickenshit.

I mean, I've already wasted two posts responding to this nonsense issue that won't amount to as much as a footnote in even the most exhaustively detailed historical accounts of the current era. In that time I wonder how many more billions wall street execs have raked in while American cities crumble, how many more gallons of oil have seeped into the gulf, and how many hours closer we are to the next disaster wrought by government deregulation.

Time is a precious thing. Energy is a precious thing. Those who craft policy have little of both. In a general sense you advocate for efficient government but when it comes down to specifics you want to focus attention on a petty issue because it happens to come within view of your myopic anecdotal perspective. Don't you see the irony in that?[/QUOTE]

I most certainly see the irony in what you say.

[quote name='Knoell']I most certainly see the irony in what you say.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure you understand what those words mean. Go ahead and look them up in a dictionary and come back when you have something intelligent to say.

[quote name='xycury']No.

You + work - school = your life

Single mom + work - school + school - kid = their life

Your life thier life[/QUOTE]

So you agree that single moms should get school paid for 110% but people who dont have kids should get nothing?

Again I am not saying a single mother should not get more money than the average individual, I am saying however that the average individual should get something to help them pay, and single moms should have to pay at least some amount of tuition.

I know its hard to believe but college is expensive for people without kids too.

Wow Knoell doesn't think it's important to address the economy, deficit, safeguards, and gov't regulation.

That's not a starman btw. camoor is saying those things should be the top priority over bullshit like welfare reform for single mothers who don't deserve it.

[quote name='Knoell']So you agree that single moms should get school paid for 110% but people who dont have kids should get nothing?[/QUOTE]

You forgot poor people, they don't have to have kids.

I see you're in favor of the government funding free college educations for all citizens Knoell, I agree.

[quote name='camoor']I'm not sure you understand what those words mean. Go ahead and look them up in a dictionary and come back when you have something intelligent to say.[/QUOTE]

Camoor:
but when it comes down to specifics you want to focus attention on a petty issue because it happens to come within view of your myopic anecdotal perspective. Don't you see the irony in that?

You basically just criticized me for taking issue with something that affects me while focusing in on what you think is more important to you. That is irony.

Dude, Knoell, YOU think the economy deficits and safeguards/regulations are important. It's important to YOU too, you've made this extremely clear. You seem to also think that welfare reform is important.

What the hell is this shit?

camoor is just saying that the gummint can only address some issues at a time, and those three i meintioned are pretty important and are going to need a ton of resources and attention.

I'm pretty sure the welfare benefits of single moms is having a greater negative economic impact than that one gushing oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico. That is only $150 billion whereas those welfare moms are causing $40 trillion in havoc per year.

How the hell did we go from the murdering dickhole to welfare?

God damn, we're worse than Amtrack when it comes to derailing.

This is where the trail always leads in the vs. forum.

And since someone keeps quoting Knoell. I love how you said that you should accountable for your actions before getting pregnant. Then why does the Republican Party fight comprehensive sex ed at every step?

You can't be responsible without education on the matter. You can't give a kid a car and then get all pissed when he drives like a maniac. He went to Driver's Ed but all they told him is that you'll never get into a car accident if you never get into a car or walk near roads.

Knoell

Everyone has a chance to get grants to go to school. How much in that matter depends on the federal and state allowments. Some states award a larger sum than others.

The poor also get a nice chunk for college too.

It could be that she's extremely lucky. being a mother with a kid and alone is quite hard to juggle both...She was probably poor too, so kid+poor = 110%. I know this state gives out ALOT for single moms.

And sure college is expensive, I am still currently paying for mine after 5 years... I had to take loans.

It's a small investment to make sure she doesn't get 30-40 years of Welfare.

Yet again, you guys are making classic politician responses. How come you are putting words in my mouth saying nothing needs to be fixed besides welfare? I never said that, and we arent the policy makers ( I hope you guys realize that....), so I don't think itll have a disastreous impact if I talk about the screwed up financing of college education for a few minutes. It is not like the people in the gulf stop working because we arent talking about them lol. Oh and they should still drill off the virginian coast, this disaster shouldn't affect that.

What do you consider poor Spazx? I know, I make $24,000 and Im considered independant and I dont get any aid oncesoever. All I get is the ability to take more student loans out. Have you guys ever wondered what would happen to college costs if the government stopped backing all of the loans? Colleges would have to drop prices because noone would be able to afford to go. So no I am not in favor of free college for all, but if you are going to help some people more than others can it be something less outrageous than 0% to 110%.

[quote name='depascal22']This is where the trail always leads in the vs. forum.

And since someone keeps quoting Knoell. I love how you said that you should accountable for your actions before getting pregnant. Then why does the Republican Party fight comprehensive sex ed at every step?

You can't be responsible without education on the matter. You can't give a kid a car and then get all pissed when he drives like a maniac. He went to Driver's Ed but all they told him is that you'll never get into a car accident if you never get into a car or walk near roads.[/QUOTE]

What does sex ed do to help this situation? Do you really think these girls/women don't realize they can get pregnant? They know, its just a balance of personal responsibility that should be urged on by the parents, not a damn teacher in 4th grade showing slides of STDs. We have sex ed in health class in high schools dont we? where else do you want it?

If you have sex ed, you're educated about sex. That way no one can say 'I told you so' and it is their complete responsibility.

I don't get why totally unrelated things are even allowed to be tacked onto bills. It's like the way we have completely unrelated things posted here in threads.

[quote name='JolietJake']I don't get why totally unrelated things are even allowed to be tacked onto bills. It's like the way we have completely unrelated things posted here in threads.[/QUOTE]

LOL

I was just going to say Knoell should be so happy.

I bet he's thinking - "what's the problem, watching porn at work is bad and so is government spending, so who cares if they're both struck down in the same bill"

[quote name='JolietJake']I don't get why totally unrelated things are even allowed to be tacked onto bills. It's like the way we have completely unrelated things posted here in threads.[/QUOTE]

I do agree - but this is nothing new in Congress. At least it's not named "The Bill to Stop Paying Federal Employees to Watch Porn" while providing funding for federal employees to watch porn. There's more than a couple of those types of bills out there.

"It was a cynical effort to undermine an important bill for my 9-year-old daughter, for your kids and your grandkids."

Wait, this guy's *now* worried about our grandchildren? How long has he been selling our grand-children into Chinese slavery?

[quote name='IRHari']If you have sex ed, you're educated about sex. That way no one can say 'I told you so' and it is their complete responsibility.[/QUOTE]

Yep because if we have sex ed, kids will really stop having sex.

I totally agree. A good example is the way that the health-care bill also included a federal takeover of the private student loan industry.

...essentially, some banker/trader/finance type took time of out his very busy day to warn Main Street of his imminent arrival into the ranks of the working class.
The letter cautioned that because of our unwarranted meddling in his industry, we're going to lose our cushy "$85k a year" jobs to him and all his financial friends. We'll lose our "4 month" vacation privileges, the superfluous bathroom breaks that we take, and our swollen, blue-collar benefit packages. Naturally, Wall Street folk don't require such frivolities, he says, but they'll gladly take them (or assist in their elimination) if they're forced to work our jobs.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2010/05/12/this-is-why-i-hate-wall-street-people.aspx

I wish this was true. I would pay money to see video of the Wall Streeter walking in to unemployment looking for 85K and four months vacation for "teaching 3rd graders" or "doing landscaping".

[quote name='Knoell']Yep because if we have sex ed, kids will really stop having sex.[/QUOTE]

coolnonsequitorbrah.

Try again. That's not what I'm saying.

[quote name='camoor']http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2010/05/12/this-is-why-i-hate-wall-street-people.aspx

I wish this was true. I would pay money to see video of the Wall Streeter walking in to unemployment looking for 85K and four months vacation for "teaching 3rd graders" or "doing landscaping".[/QUOTE]
:lol: Like any of them would actually do landscaping or teach kids. No pension? Well hell you make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, you don't need a pension.

[quote name='JolietJake']:lol: Like any of them would actually do landscaping or teach kids. No pension? Well hell you make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, you don't need a pension.[/QUOTE]

The letter is off-the-chain ridiculous.

Go ahead and continue to take us down, but you're only going to hurt yourselves. What's going to happen when we can't find jobs on the Street anymore? Guess what: We're going to take yours. We get up at 5am & work till 10pm or later. We're used to not getting up to pee when we have a position. We don't take an hour or more for a lunch break. We don't demand a union. We don't retire at 50 with a pension. We eat what we kill, and when the only thing left to eat is on your dinner plates, we'll eat that.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=YWE4YmE2YjhmMzgzODJjMTY3NTA1NDJjNGZjMmE4M2Q

Uh-huh

I'm thinking it ends up more like the first thirty minutes of "Trading Places"

I saw that last Friday on Real Time, couldn't believe it. That's why i love Real Time though, they always find the craziest shit.

Yeah this last episode was pretty good. Can't believe Darrell Issa is on the right side on the Miranda issue.

Anyone catch Glenn Greenwald on ABC's This week? Caught Greg Craig stammering, he couldn't point to Elena Kagan speaking out on any substantive constitutional issue in the past few years.

Good news and expected news, everyone!

The House votes to overturn "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." That's good!

The expected news? Republicans voted overwhelmingly against it. "I think it's really going to be very harmful to the morale and effectiveness of our military," said Sen. John McCain of Arizona, the top Republican on the Armed Services Committee and a leading opponent of the repeal.

Haha, wow.

The Republicans are ignoring the will of the American people by voting against the repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell. By voting to keep DADT the Republicans are cramming this massive thick policy down the throats of the American people.

People in the military need to grow the fuck up. Mature adults should be able to handle something like this, yet it seems that many in the military still think that gay people are "icky." People like McCain just pander to that immaturity that still exists. It only hurts morale because of the mindset that many of these people have, if they'd get over it, it wouldn't be an issue.

[quote name='JolietJake']People in the military need to grow the fuck up. Mature adults should be able to handle something like this, yet it seems that many in the military still think that gay people are "icky." People like McCain just pander to that immaturity that still exists. It only hurts morale because of the mindset that many of these people have, if they'd get over it, it wouldn't be an issue.[/QUOTE]

Ahh Jake, you won't be missed.

Yeah bad timing for expressing your opinion JolietJake. That said, I don't know what 'trolling' is defined as on this forum. How does what he said fit the CAG vs. definition of trolling?

I'm just guessing someone got butthurt, disagreed with his opinion, and filed a complaint about that first part 'People in the military....up.'

bread's done
Back