The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V5! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
We appreciate you helping keep this thread up to date. The sales change virtually every day so no one person has the time to update them all. If you notice a game is no longer on sale, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see a game is on sale, add it to the list. Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 12/16

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s) Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals

Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 9/23

Amazon
  • Amazon - Preorders

• Amazon - Current Deals

GamersGate

Greenman Gaming

Preorder Deals - Updated 10/28
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card.
The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

All retail Valve games and a number of third-party games can be registered to your Steam account. All of the following games can be registered through Steam:
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • AI War CD Keys in various formats
  • Aliens vs. Predator (2010 Release) CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Audiosurf CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • BRINK CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is not accepted on Steam
  • Cities in Motion CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Civilization V CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Cricket Revolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
  • Darksiders CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: The number 2 and letter Z may look very similar.
  • Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dawn of War II - Retribution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Duke Nukem Forever CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Empire: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-DDEFGH3-IJK4L-MNOPQ-RST56
  • F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • F.E.A.R. 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Fallout: New Vegas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2010 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2011 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Front Mission Evolved CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Global Agenda CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
  • GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Homefront CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Humble Indie Bundle in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 2 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 3 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Just Cause 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Please input all O's and 0's as Q's for Just Cause 2
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Killing Floor CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Last Remnant CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lionheart: Kings' Crusade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition CD Keys are not accepted on Steam
  • Mafia 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Magicka CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Metro 2033 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • MLB Front Office Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: Warband CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • NBA 2K9 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Napoleon: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Order of War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
  • R.U.S.E. CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
  • RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Railworks CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Rogue Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Serious Sam HD CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Shattered Horizon CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ship Simulator Extremes CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Space Trader CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Speedball 2 - Tournament in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Star Trek: D-A-C CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Super Meat Boy CD keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Supreme Commander 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Torchlight CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Unreal Tournament 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM
  • Velvet Assassin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM
  • Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • X3: Terran Conflict CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Zeno Clash CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.
Note: Only the retail games listed above can be registered through Steam. No other retail games can be registered and downloaded using Steam.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

The Ball (bought @D2D and tested by voken)
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon and tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JakeNome']YAY! my wish was answered :applause:[/QUOTE]

I'm happy with this as well, since I didn't own WH 40 K DOW 1 GOTY.

[quote name='Fluxy']xcom is 20 bucks at gameflye after using their promo code. do u think steam will have xcom cheaper than that?[/QUOTE]

If you're referring till the end of the year then I highly doubt it will be cheaper. The biggest discount I could see is 50%, but that is really pushing it on a recent title.

I have not played too many wine-skin wrapped games but those I did played well. Cider, a commercial fork of wine, is often used for the mac release of many AAA games. It can certainly hit the "works well enough". I've read of a few cases on Mac boards of the wineskin wrapped games being faster than the native port.

[quote name='Motoki']Why does Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends require you to verify your age? Are there nekkid women in the cars? Is there some secret GTA style sandbox mode you can enable where you drive off the tracks and run people down on street corners?

I don't get it.[/QUOTE]

As a huge Carmageddon fan (and kickerstarter backer), I sure hope so. While I habitually mow down peds in GTA games (as well as Sleeping Dogs), it just isn't the same.

Due to the Ferrari Stalion logo, Ferrari fans* can be considered pony boys. Pony play is a is a form animal roleplay, which overlaps with parts of BDSM and Furry subcultures.

*actually I've only heard this in the context of Mustang owners.

Remember, most if not all the licensed engines that games use now support Linux and majority of games nowadays use those licensed engines. The reason you don't see games big games released on Linux is that there really isn't a user base to make it worthwhile to do the port. Valve can change that and give incentives to publishers to make games run on Linux.

So far we have so little info on this thing that any talk on it is just guessing though.

They're talking endlessly now rather than showing the game so if you were hoping to attract me into preordering you failed completely.

EDIT: Well they finally went back to the game... I dunno, maybe... thinking... Should I preorder...?

[quote name='KaOTiK']Defenders of Ardania Collection is $3.25 75% off at Gamersgate
The MSRP for it there is $12.99 while on Steam its MSRP is $18.99.
It does activate on Steam, says so on the page and I just purchased and activated it with no problems.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Been waiting on this. Glad I didnt bite on the Amazon Ardania collection now

Well my account just got restricted from buying/selling/gifting/applying keys and I have no idea why. I don't know if I picked up a bad cdkey or gift along the way somewhere (do lots of trading) or maybe some paypal transaction failed behind one of those or what, but it is pretty much bullshit and turns me off a PC gaming. I have over 600 games in my Steam account, and while I still have access to what I have (and PAID for, $1000s over the years), I can no longer buy anything. So for Black Ops 2 DLC? fucked over, if I want to buy the season pass for it I would literally have to re-buy Black Ops 2 for it.

I submitted a ticket but from my experience with their support in the past (2-3 week long responses, etc) I am not very hopeful at all. I expect this to be a months long ordeal to ever get this sorted out.

I might just sell my gaming PC and switch to a console if this is how a loyal customer gets treated.

What is irritating is they gave me NO COMMUNICATION whatsoever as to what they think I did wrong. Account was fine this morning, I log in tonight and it's been basically banned. No email or anything. Shit, people complain about Origin but at least they have some actual support.

[quote name='xRidley']Well my account just got restricted from buying/selling/gifting/applying keys and I have no idea why. I don't know if I picked up a bad cdkey or gift along the way somewhere (do lots of trading) or maybe some paypal transaction failed behind one of those or what, but it is pretty much bullshit and turns me off a PC gaming. I have over 600 games in my Steam account, and while I still have access to what I have (and PAID for, $1000s over the years), I can no longer buy anything. So for Black Ops 2 DLC? fucked over, if I want to buy the season pass for it I would literally have to re-buy Black Ops 2 for it.

I submitted a ticket but from my experience with their support in the past (2-3 week long responses, etc) I am not very hopeful at all. I expect this to be a months long ordeal to ever get this sorted out.

I might just sell my gaming PC and switch to a console if this is how a loyal customer gets treated.

What is irritating is they gave me NO COMMUNICATION whatsoever as to what they think I did wrong. Account was fine this morning, I log in tonight and it's been basically banned. No email or anything. Shit, people complain about Origin but at least they have some actual support.[/QUOTE]

Well, the lack of specificity as to the cause of the restriction is pretty shitty, but maybe you should calm down for a moment and wait to see if it actually takes 2-3 weeks for Steam to get to your problem. You said yourself you do a lot of trading, so that's probably where the issue lies somewhere along the way. Hopefully support will be able to sort things out for you.

Sorry if that seems like the kind of response a mod on the Steam forums would give or something. You just seem really fucking pissed off and pretty damn sure your account has gone to shit forever when you have yet to actually hear back from support yet.

If worse comes to worst, you can just make a new account for new purchases. I switch between my account and my friend's account to apply Shift codes for him and it's extremely quick and easy.

Still really sucks, but it's not as bad as you may think.

EDIT: Anyone else get Screen 7's (the Summerbatch guys who blessed up with Nancy the Happy Whore and Piss) latest newsletter? Looks like they'll have a game called Kinky Island sometime around August 2013. Get pumped!

[quote name='xRidley']Well my account just got restricted from buying/selling/gifting/applying keys and I have no idea why. I don't know if I picked up a bad cdkey or gift along the way somewhere (do lots of trading) or maybe some paypal transaction failed behind one of those or what, but it is pretty much bullshit and turns me off a PC gaming. I have over 600 games in my Steam account, and while I still have access to what I have (and PAID for, $1000s over the years), I can no longer buy anything. So for Black Ops 2 DLC? fucked over, if I want to buy the season pass for it I would literally have to re-buy Black Ops 2 for it.

What is irritating is they gave me NO COMMUNICATION whatsoever as to what they think I did wrong. Account was fine this morning, I log in tonight and it's been basically banned. No email or anything. Shit, people complain about Origin but at least they have some actual support.[/QUOTE]

This is the type of thing that makes Steam just one of many retailers for me. Their CS is atrocious and they treat you like it is a privilege for you to use their service rather than a paying customer who they NEED for their business model. Hope it works out well for you, someone posted in the PC forum with another issue with Steam and CS actually took care of it properly and in a quick manner.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Well, the lack of specificity as to the cause of the restriction is pretty shitty, but maybe you should calm down for a moment and wait to see if it actually takes 2-3 weeks for Steam to get to your problem. You said yourself you do a lot of trading, so that's probably where the issue lies somewhere along the way. Hopefully support will be able to sort things out for you.

Sorry if that seems like the kind of response a mod on the Steam forums would give or something. You just seem really fucking pissed off and pretty damn sure your account has gone to shit forever when you have yet to actually hear back from support yet.[/QUOTE]

And this is nothing personal against you or your responses, but this sort of laid back approach to Steam accountability is the reason there can be so much animosity towards steam and steam "fan boys" (And again, not calling you a fan boy).

If this was Origin or Amazon or GMG, there would be a swarm of Steamies raging and criticizing and etc. I mean GMG just got criticized for changing the terms of a coupon (which I agree is crappy on their part). But when Steam does something you have an endless supply of defenders or people giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Again, not trying to turn this into a Steam vs. the world argument, just pointing out that the guy has a right to be pissed and rage if he wants to. TBH, I didn't really see his response as that pissed, outside of the use of a few curse words. If Steam is his main gaming client on PC and they screw him over, I think it'd be the smart thing for him to look for other ways to get games. I'd probably think DRM-Free personally, but with so many games going Steamworks a console might be the only way he'll be able to play a lot of newer games.

I really like FTL. I like the game because it's pretty brutal but when I die, I can look back and realize what I did wrong, what happened and how to improve next game. It's nice to have games where I can't blame any part of the game except myself for failing.

[quote name='Idiotekque']If worse comes to worst, you can just make a new account for new purchases. I switch between my account and my friend's account to apply Shift codes for him and it's extremely quick and easy.

Still really sucks, but it's not as bad as you may think.[/QUOTE]

Yeah except for the fact I just paid $60 for Black Ops 2 and planned on buying the DLC pass for it ($50). And what is the point from preventing me from making purchases or applying keys if they expect me to make a new account? That is fucking retarded. Also how do I know they won't just ban any new accounts? It is probably against the ToS.

Not to mention the whole Steamworks bullshit. They are saying I can no longer purchase ANY PC game that uses Steamworks right now. I can not go to Best Buy and buy Borderlands 2 and am at the mercy of their joke of customer support.

And damn straight I am pissed off. They have no support to speak of. At least you can get ahold of a real person if needed with Origin. Steam I just throw a ticket in a black hole and hope I get a competent response sometime in 2 weeks.

Man, XCOM just gets more and more tempting. Just when I decided not to jump into it since I want to play more of the DOS game (since I never played it really but bought it a while ago), its gets even cheaper!

Add onto that I'm tempted by Walking Dead and Dead Island.... man.... got keep strong.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Anyone else get Screen 7's (the Summerbatch guys who blessed up with Nancy the Happy Whore and Piss) latest newsletter? Looks like they'll have a game called Kinky Island sometime around August 2013. Get pumped![/QUOTE]

I did, and was disappoint not to see any announcement for a Winterbatch.
Still, they hinted at their next bundle...

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']This is the type of thing that makes Steam just one of many retailers for me. Their CS is atrocious and they treat you like it is a privilege for you to use their service rather than a paying customer who they NEED for their business model. Hope it works out well for you, someone posted in the PC forum with another issue with Steam and CS actually took care of it properly and in a quick manner.

And this is nothing personal against you or your responses, but this sort of laid back approach to Steam accountability is the reason there can be so much animosity towards steam and steam "fan boys" (And again, not calling you a fan boy).

If this was Origin or Amazon or GMG, there would be a swarm of Steamies raging and criticizing and etc. I mean GMG just got criticized for changing the terms of a coupon (which I agree is crappy on their part). But when Steam does something you have an endless supply of defenders or people giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Again, not trying to turn this into a Steam vs. the world argument, just pointing out that the guy has a right to be pissed and rage if he wants to. TBH, I didn't really see his response as that pissed, outside of the use of a few curse words. If Steam is his main gaming client on PC and they screw him over, I think it'd be the smart thing for him to look for other ways to get games. I'd probably think DRM-Free personally, but with so many games going Steamworks a console might be the only way he'll be able to play a lot of newer games.[/QUOTE]

Eh, the GMG coupon thing didn't bother me much, either. I tend to take a pretty laid back approach to these things, generally. My response was less an attempt to defend Steam than to suggest that he chill for a minute and see if things get resolved promptly. I don't see much point in raging over the problem if you haven't given any reasonable amount of time for the other party to rectify it.

EDIT: I should also probably add that I've never dealt with Steam CS.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I really like FTL. I like the game because it's pretty brutal but when I die, I can look back and realize what I did wrong, what happened and how to improve next game. It's nice to have games where I can't blame any part of the game except myself for failing.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I think that's true 90% of the time. But the other 10%, the game's RNG just fucks you over.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Eh, the GMG coupon thing didn't bother me much, either. I tend to take a pretty laid back approach to these things, generally. My response was less an attempt to defend Steam than to suggest that he chill for a minute and see if things get resolved promptly. I don't see much point in raging over the problem if you haven't given any reasonable amount of time for the other party to rectify it.

EDIT: I should also probably add that I've never dealt with Steam CS.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, definitely would be good to stay calm, but I'll be honest I probably wouldn't be too calm if it happened to me. Even if I got to keep my Steam library, the ban from any future purchases would be pretty upsetting to me.

I know someone else recently got a pretty helpful and quick resolution from Steam CS so anything is possible. I've never had any serious issues with Steam, but the few times I have contacted them, their response has been moot by the time it got to me.

The main reason I am upset is that if I can't make future purchases, then I basically can not buy any DLC for any games I already own.
Making a new account is a huge hassle. I'd have to
-Rebuy games I already own if I want to buy DLC. Including $60 for Black Ops2 if I want to play any of the upcoming DLC maps
-Lose any progress that may apply from games that bind their account to steam account (like CoD unlocks)
-Lose all friends on my friend list and have to rebuild it
-Keep track of which games are on which account and constantly switch back and forth
-Lose my entire steam inventory, including TF2 items and any of those one-time exclusive items that I have

The account action I received is usually reserved for chargebacks and credit card fraud so I am completely confused why they did that to my account out of nowhere. I also haven't even traded in several months so I doubt I received some game that turned out to be fraudulently purchased, plus none of my games are missing from what I can tell. I guess all I can do is wait, but my previous tickets were not handled very well for minor issues compared to this. Usually they would post a non-related response and close my ticket like they didn't even read it.

Steam customer service is terrible.. so so terrible, it really is. Like I would trade Origin support for Steam support in a second flat without hesitation.

If you ever need any help during a Steam sale, just good luck man because you will be waiting at least a week. (Not to mention missing many sale days if your account is suspended or restricted during that time.)

Steam support sucks. I think even the most rabid fanboi would be hard pressed to defend it. I won't say that no one ever gets a timely, helpful response from them but I doesn't seem to be the norm both in my direct experience and from what I've heard from others.

Still, in a case where you have no idea what the hell you did wrong and why they are locking your account and you have no past transgressions on record I would say to just try to be polite and definitely be persistent explaining that you did not break any rules as far as you are aware and that if it is something that happened through a trade you will endeavor to be more careful with who you trade with in the future.

It doesn't excuse the way Steam handles these sort of situations but I do think people need to be more careful about where they get their games from. In the long run I think it's better to just obtain your games from known, reputable sites that are legitimately authorized to sell to your region and trade with people who have good feedback and are known, honest traders. It's not worth the risk to save a few dollars for something that's going to be on sale on a legit site sooner or later anyway.

[quote name='Idiotekque']
EDIT: Anyone else get Screen 7's (the Summerbatch guys who blessed up with Nancy the Happy Whore and Piss) latest newsletter? Looks like they'll have a game called Kinky Island sometime around August 2013. Get pumped![/QUOTE]

[quote name='seamoss']I did, and was disappoint not to see any announcement for a Winterbatch.
Still, they hinted at their next bundle...[/QUOTE]

The Cat Lady is pretty damned creepy, weird as hell, and I love it! Just saying.

It also got added to Desura very recently.

I'm all about some Kinky Island too though. I hope Nancy the Happy Whore gets to go. I don't think the Cat Lady would appreciate it, however.

Steam's customer service is pretty terrible. Mostly because Valve is still a relatively small company in proportion to their user base. They probably don't have anywhere near the amount of CS people they should to handle tickets.

[quote name='Motoki']
The Cat Lady is pretty damned creepy, weird as hell, and I love it! Just saying.

It also got added to Desura very recently.

I'm all about some Kinky Island too though. I hope Nancy the Happy Whore gets to go. I don't think the Cat Lady would appreciate it, however.[/QUOTE]

Looks pretty neat, though I don't think I'd pay more than a few bucks for it.

Also, I played Home last night. Took me just under 2 hours, and it was really interesting. Because you don't just choose your actions, but actually how the story goes, it leaves you with some really crazy decisions that are hard to properly put into perspective, which is something I'm not sure I've ever experienced in a game before. I would definitely recommend playing it if any of you picked it up in the Indie Royale. It's meant to be played in a single sitting.

[quote name='GreatDoink']Man, XCOM just gets more and more tempting. Just when I decided not to jump into it since I want to play more of the DOS game (since I never played it really but bought it a while ago), its gets even cheaper!

Add onto that I'm tempted by Walking Dead and Dead Island.... man.... got keep strong.[/QUOTE]

just to let you know, i think the promo code is only for today, so if your looking into buying the games a few bucks cheaper do it now. I dont think steam will bring down twd lower than 10 bucks and for xcom lower than 20...so think fast

While I would be pissed too in the same situation, I'd also be waiting till I got some responses to find out what exactly is going on. As others said, their CS is terrible, I've had to use it twice. Once the matter resolved in under 24 hours and another time in took a week. So it is very hit or miss as well. More then likely a game you did get in a trade was a fraudulent purchase even if it was from awhile ago. Some times people don't notice CC fraud right away and then it has to go through official channels as company's that were affected by it find out.

Gamefly's 1GFT1112 20% coupon expires today. (or maybe doesn't stack tomorrow)

The apocalypse is upon us in only 11 days, if you believe in that sort of thing, and GameFly wants you playing games to the bitter end. In its "Not so Scary End of the World" sale, the company will be offering sales on a new batch of games every two days, starting today.
The first batch of games will be on sale for 48 hours, and include The Walking Dead and XCOM: Enemy Unknown. You can also use the code 1GFT1112 today only to get an additional 20 percent off the price listed below. The list:
Crysis Maximum Edition: $7.49 (75 percent off)
Half Life: $2.49 (75 percent off)
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY: $9.99 (50 percent off)
Batman Arkham Asylum (Mac): $26.79 (33 percent off)
The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition: $14.99 (50 percent off)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: $2.49 (75 percent off)
The Walking Dead: $12.49 (50 percent off)
F1 2012: $24.99 (50 percent off)
XCOM: Enemy Unknown: $24.99 (50 percent off)
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut: $4.99 (50 percent off)

Read more: http://www.shacknews.com/article/76...xcom-enemy-unknown-on-sale-for/#ixzz2Eimps1B2
Follow us: @GameFly on Twitter | GameFly on Facebook

[quote name='elessar123']I disagree. I think that's true 90% of the time. But the other 10%, the game's RNG just fucks you over.[/QUOTE]

Only 10%? What kind of weak-sauce roguelike is that?

The fan is jacked on my laptop at the moment, running high graphic games shuts it off, so there is no way I can play it right now but... Dead Island GOTY is really tempting at 4.29. Do I jump?

[quote name='SeymourGams']The fan is jacked on my laptop at the moment, running high graphic games shuts it off, so there is no way I can play it right now but... Dead Island GOTY is really tempting at 4.29. Do I jump?[/QUOTE]

4.29 is a good deal for dead island goty. just buy it and save it until u fix your computer. or you can hold out until ur computer is fixed and wait for another deal. Dead Island gets on sale quite often, and dead island riptide is on the way.

[quote name='SeymourGams']The fan is jacked on my laptop at the moment, running high graphic games shuts it off, so there is no way I can play it right now but... Dead Island GOTY is really tempting at 4.29. Do I jump?[/QUOTE]
No.

Even at 4.29, you may dismiss your own instincts and say "hey, thats not that much."

Yea, its not that much. But dead island is a game that barely straddles the line of mediocrity. The game's reception has been met with much criticism to the repetitive nature, and that to truly enjoy the title co-op adds to the experience. With 4.29 you could get something off the steam winter day sales that are far superior.

Dead Island will be that game in your backlog you look months and years from now and regret buying. The inner completionist in you will say "I paid good money for that, I need to enjoy the game." Your time is worth more than this garbage game.

[quote name='gomikeoh']No.

Even at 4.29, you may dismiss your own instincts and say "hey, thats not that much."

Yea, its not that much. But dead island is a game that barely straddles the line of mediocrity. The game's reception has been met with much criticism to the repetitive nature, and that to truly enjoy the title co-op adds to the experience. With 4.29 you could get something off the steam winter day sales that are far superior.

Dead Island will be that game in your backlog you look months and years from now and regret buying. The inner completionist in you will say "I paid good money for that," I need to enjoy the game. Your time is worth more than this garbage game.[/QUOTE]

size_waldorf.jpg

Show me on the doll where Dead Island touched you.

Dead Island will be that game in your backlog you look months and years from now and regret buying. The inner completionist in you will say "I paid good money for that, I need to enjoy the game." Your time is worth more than this garbage game.[/QUOTE]
Eh, that's an extremely drastic opinion. The game isn't absolutely amazing, but if you're into zombies and open world games action RPGs, Dead Island is still really good. The loot system could be a bit better, and it's not like the story is great (ZOMBIES), but the flaws are drastically over-exaggerated.

And actually I think solo mode is way better than co-op. Really keeps you on your toes and makes things more perilous and survival oriented. I think it's a bit silly to have four killing machines jumping around killing everything with ease in a deadly zombie outbreak... but that's just me. Just doesn't feel like the kind of game for that.

And yeah, it's not going to get much cheaper.

Dead Island will be that game in your backlog you look months and years from now and regret buying. The inner completionist in you will say "I paid good money for that, I need to enjoy the game." Your time is worth more than this garbage game.[/QUOTE]

can u name me some games that are the same price range of 4.29 right now, i want to see these far superior games so i can buy them. what are you playing bro? let me get on ur level. If i can buy these superior games of 4.29 i will be a happy boy

[quote name='Mooby']Steam's customer service is pretty terrible. Mostly because Valve is still a relatively small company in proportion to their user base. They probably don't have anywhere near the amount of CS people they should to handle tickets.[/QUOTE]

And yet I can't help but think that a company with an estimated worth of $2.5 billion might be able to afford to hire a few more people in this department.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Eh, that's an extremely drastic opinion. The game isn't absolutely amazing, but if you're into zombies and open world games action RPGs, Dead Island is still really good. The loot system could be a bit better, and it's not like the story is great (ZOMBIES), but the flaws are drastically over-exaggerated.

And actually I think solo mode is way better than co-op. Really keeps you on your toes and makes things more perilous and survival oriented. I think it's a bit silly to have four killing machines jumping around killing everything with ease in a deadly zombie outbreak... but that's just me. Just doesn't feel like the kind of game for that.

And yeah, it's not going to get much cheaper.[/QUOTE]

I played about 3 hours of it when I got it in the summer. I thought it played perfectly fine and was pretty enjoyable. Need to get back to it at some point.

One of those games that seemed like if you tried to do every quest you would probably burn out on it early, though. There were a lot of quests all over the place even in the first few hours I played, and not all of them were particularly great or had much of a payoff.

[quote name='Kaltic']Or simply download Black Mesa Source although I am unsure on whether or not they finished the last bit of the game yet. Don't spend any money and essentially get the same experience with better visuals.[/QUOTE]
This month's issue of PC Gamer magazine had an article about this saying it was finished.
[quote name='Englando IV the wrong']It's still not finished, and I think the original is worth playing, regardless.[/QUOTE]
wrong
[quote name='MysterD']If they really wanted to give out a coupon to ONLY those who did the survey, they should really give out UNIQUE CODES AND tie it your GMG account.[/QUOTE]
or a simple email address check
[quote name='xRidley']The main reason I am upset is that if I can't make future purchases, then I basically can not buy any DLC for any games I already own.
-Rebuy games I already own if I want to buy DLC. Including $60 for Black Ops2 if I want to play any of the upcoming DLC maps
-Lose any progress that may apply from games that bind their account to steam account (like CoD unlocks)
-Keep track of which games are on which account and constantly switch back and forth
-Lose my entire steam inventory, including TF2 items and any of those one-time exclusive items that I have

The account action I received is usually reserved for chargebacks and credit card fraud so I am completely confused why they did that to my account out of nowhere. I also haven't even traded in several months so I doubt I received some game that turned out to be fraudulently purchased, plus none of my games are missing from what I can tell. I guess all I can do is wait, but my previous tickets were not handled very well for minor issues compared to this. Usually they would post a non-related response and close my ticket like they didn't even read it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='travathian']And yet I can't help but think that a company with an estimated worth of $2.5 billion might be able to afford to hire a few more people in this department.[/QUOTE]
hookers

[quote name='gomikeoh']
With 4.29 you could get something off the steam winter day sales that are far superior.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Fluxy']can u name me some games that are the same price range of 4.29 right now, i want to see these far superior games so i can buy them. what are you playing bro? let me get on ur level. If i can buy these superior games of 4.29 i will be a happy boy[/QUOTE]

There are no Steam winter day sales today. They start in ten days. :whistle2:#

But $3.54 Orcs Must Die! 2 is a bargain and also has co-op, and that's available today. Or there's the $1 THQ bundle, which is still available. Both are probably a better price (although I think Dead Island without DLC for $4 was probably a better buy than GOTY $5, considering the "quality" of the DLC).

I've had a lovely time playing (apparently) six hours of Dead Island co-op with a friend these past couple of weeks. Like a nice tropical resort holiday. With zombies. But lovely sights and engaging thwackthwackthwack aside, it certainly isn't a classic. :booty:

[quote name='Eldredpe']I played about 3 hours of it when I got it in the summer. I thought it played perfectly fine and was pretty enjoyable. Need to get back to it at some point.

One of those games that seemed like if you tried to do every quest you would probably burn out on it early, though. There were a lot of quests all over the place even in the first few hours I played, and not all of them were particularly great or had much of a payoff.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, very true. You are given a lot of quests in quick succession, but you don't have to do them. Most of the time, completing a quest for someone will get you a stronger weapon than you might typically find at whatever point in the game you're at, so quests generally keep you well equipped, but you'll always be getting new and better weapons (and upgrading them), so it's completely optional.

If you come at it expecting another zombie shooter, you'll be surprised. The game is centered on melee combat. I personally play a blade thrower though. It's pretty badass chucking a cleaver into a zombie, then rushing him and pulling it back out of his chest while he's still "alive" so you can throw it again.

Maybe it's buggy for some people, but I never noticed anything serious. I heard it was worse on consoles.

I agree! I rented it from GameFly and I never did try playing it coop, but I played it on single player for about two hours and just couldn't take it anymore. The visuals are great and the immersion is wonderful, but I just couldn't have any fun with the gameplay and missions.

[quote name='xRidley']The main reason I am upset is that if I can't make future purchases, then I basically can not buy any DLC for any games I already own.

The account action I received is usually reserved for chargebacks and credit card fraud so I am completely confused why they did that to my account out of nowhere. I also haven't even traded in several months so I doubt I received some game that turned out to be fraudulently purchased, plus none of my games are missing from what I can tell. I guess all I can do is wait, but my previous tickets were not handled very well for minor issues compared to this. Usually they would post a non-related response and close my ticket like they didn't even read it.[/QUOTE]
Did you farm tf2 items by several 'idle' accounts to further trade in the past?
I've got a friend, who was farming tf2 items for a quite long time and suddenly he got banned just because of this ~3 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back