The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V5! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
We appreciate you helping keep this thread up to date. The sales change virtually every day so no one person has the time to update them all. If you notice a game is no longer on sale, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see a game is on sale, add it to the list. Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 12/16

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s) Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals

Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 9/23

Amazon
  • Amazon - Preorders

• Amazon - Current Deals

GamersGate

Greenman Gaming

Preorder Deals - Updated 10/28
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card.
The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

All retail Valve games and a number of third-party games can be registered to your Steam account. All of the following games can be registered through Steam:
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • AI War CD Keys in various formats
  • Aliens vs. Predator (2010 Release) CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Audiosurf CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • BRINK CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is not accepted on Steam
  • Cities in Motion CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Civilization V CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Cricket Revolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
  • Darksiders CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: The number 2 and letter Z may look very similar.
  • Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dawn of War II - Retribution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Duke Nukem Forever CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Empire: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-DDEFGH3-IJK4L-MNOPQ-RST56
  • F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • F.E.A.R. 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Fallout: New Vegas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2010 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2011 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Front Mission Evolved CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Global Agenda CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
  • GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Homefront CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Humble Indie Bundle in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 2 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 3 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Just Cause 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Please input all O's and 0's as Q's for Just Cause 2
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Killing Floor CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Last Remnant CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lionheart: Kings' Crusade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition CD Keys are not accepted on Steam
  • Mafia 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Magicka CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Metro 2033 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • MLB Front Office Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: Warband CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • NBA 2K9 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Napoleon: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Order of War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
  • R.U.S.E. CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
  • RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Railworks CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Rogue Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Serious Sam HD CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Shattered Horizon CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ship Simulator Extremes CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Space Trader CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Speedball 2 - Tournament in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Star Trek: D-A-C CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Super Meat Boy CD keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Supreme Commander 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Torchlight CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Unreal Tournament 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM
  • Velvet Assassin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM
  • Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • X3: Terran Conflict CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Zeno Clash CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.
Note: Only the retail games listed above can be registered through Steam. No other retail games can be registered and downloaded using Steam.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

The Ball (bought @D2D and tested by voken)
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon and tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Flowette']I HAVE A DEAL I HAVE A DEAL STOP PRESS I ACTUALLY HAVE A DEAL.

FTL: Faster Than Light is 40% off ($5.99) at FTLgame.com and GoG.com. If you buy direct from the site you get a Steam code for it.

I've posted my thoughts on FTL before but I like it for the exact reasons some people hate it. One of my favourite games this year.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I've been waiting for a deal on FTL and I'm happy to buy it direct from the developer now even if it does get a bit cheaper in a future sale.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Re: D3, you can't really discount user reviews because they mention the always-on. Like it or not (and I certainly didn't), it's part of the game and is basically cited as a feature. Sure, it got review bombed by halfwits, but it's a legitimate aspect of the experience to consider.
[/QUOTE]

It's the review bombarding and its effect on the score I have a problem with.

I agree that it's a part of the game and therefore worth discussing in reviews however I feel the score is artificially brought down much lower than it should be because people nerd raging over the always online portion are 100x more likely to post a review about it than someone who had no problems with it. Also 0 stars is too extreme.

A good bit of those people posting those scathing reviews didn't even play the game the just used it as a platform to vent their frustration and protest that sort of drm that they are ideologically opposed to.

Now I realize the always online requirement actually caused some people to have issues playing the game and that's different but as soon as that requirement was announced people were RAGING about it in multiple places on the net before the game even came out. I'm sure they couldn't wait to go post angry reviews.

[quote name='Flowette']Today is Help A CAG Day - Hard Drive Special!

I'm a hardware noob. I need a new HD, my existing one is 500gb and full with music and Steam. It's the only HD I have. I need another, obviously.

I'd like the flexibility of installing games and just leaving them there for future use, at present I'm taking the Mooby approach of deleting stuff I won't play for a while. Not ideal.

So, in short, what's all this colour nonsense all about (green/blue/black)? Are there any brands to aim for or avoid? Any key factors to consider? Budget is around £60.[/QUOTE]

This is what I bought for my new build: WD Blue 1TB.

It arrives today, so I can't give any thoughts yet, but the reviews I read were solid. Of course I'm probably an idiot and "doing it wrong" in some people's eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Flowette']Today is Help A CAG Day - Hard Drive Special!

I'm a hardware noob. I need a new HD, my existing one is 500gb and full with music and Steam. It's the only HD I have. I need another, obviously.

I'd like the flexibility of installing games and just leaving them there for future use, at present I'm taking the Mooby approach of deleting stuff I won't play for a while. Not ideal.

So, in short, what's all this colour nonsense all about (green/blue/black)? Are there any brands to aim for or avoid? Any key factors to consider? Budget is around £60.[/QUOTE]

Avoid the WD Green -- It's an HDD with special power settings (that you can disable, I guess), and all other kkinds of wonkery to make it "green" (as in, eco-friendly green). the one I had failed -just- outside the warranty.

I hear the Blues and teh Blacks are good. The Blacks are high-performance drives, iirc -- you probably don't really need that for gaming. The blues are basic, normal HDDs if I remember right. I don't know if the performance between the blues and blacks are worth anything.

[quote name='plutoknight']Avoid the WD Green -- It's an HDD with special power settings (that you can disable, I guess), and all other kkinds of wonkery to make it "green" (as in, eco-friendly green). the one I had failed -just- outside the warranty.

I hear the Blues and teh Blacks are good. The Blacks are high-performance drives, iirc -- you probably don't really need that for gaming. The blues are basic, normal HDDs if I remember right. I don't know if the performance between the blues and blacks are worth anything.[/QUOTE]

Thanks V muchly! I was considering Green but didn't really know why other than it "looked better". I know I know, marketing to the uninformed etc. :)

[quote name='Flowette']

WD Green = energy savings (econo drive)
WD Blue = fairly standard drive
WD Black = the "performance model"
WD REx = enterprise drive (24/7 usage)

I doubt you'd see a noticeable/perceivable difference between blue and black (I've had all three). It's nothing like SSD/HDD proportions, no where close. I used to prefer Hitachi drives, but they were recently acquired by WD, so I'm uncertain about any new tech. WD standard drives are currently not on my good list; due to personal experiences (and neither is Seagate). I am however using their RE drives with great success (RE3 1TB for games only). I've probably had 30 or so HDD failures of various sorts and manufacturers over the years, yet 0 (zero) REx failures, so take that for whatever it means.

The green drives essentially power down and stop spinning to save power when not in use. Then, when needed, spin back up. This causes more wear and tear than the standard drive, which causes a higher failure rate.

[quote name='aronater']Speaking of hard drive space, I've got a question. I would like to uninstall some of the steam games I've completed, however if I decide I want to reinstall them I don't want to have to start over from the beginning. Is there any way to delete/uninstall a game from steam (by using the "delete local content" option), yet keep all the save and profile data so that if I reinstall the game I can pick up where I left off?[/QUOTE]

Most games store the save state in your Documents folder for instance Legend of Grimrock stores it in Documents/Almost Human/Legend of Grimrock/. As far as I know it should leave those save states after you delete local content. Other save states get stored in the games steam directory, not to sure about those. If I was removing a game I really cared about the save state for I'd find it and back it up to another source just to be safe anyway. If you can't find a specific save state a quick google search will usually do the job.

[quote name='hollowfreak']Most games store the save state in your Documents folder for instance Legend of Grimrock stores it in Documents/Almost Human/Legend of Grimrock/. As far as I know it should leave those save states after you delete local content. Other save states get stored in the games steam directory, not to sure about those. If I was removing a game I really cared about the save state for I'd find it and back it up to another source just to be safe anyway. If you can't find a specific save state a quick google search will usually do the job.[/QUOTE]
Hmm... wouldn't it be great if Valve added a feature to Steam, giving the option to uninstall a game, yet keep the save data, no matter the storage location :). Anyways thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to back up my saves just to make sure I don't lose them.

[quote name='aronater']Hmm... wouldn't it be great if Valve added a feature to Steam, giving the option to uninstall a game, yet keep the save data, no matter the storage location :). Anyways thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to back up my saves just to make sure I don't lose them.[/QUOTE]

Silly question- doesn't Steam Cloud support this kind of save game functionality?

Ah, had no clue about the Green drives. I got a Caviar Green 2TB drive recently. Couldn't beat the price and the reviews were really good for it. Here's hoping it holds up though if it dies I only really keep Steam games on it so no real panic there other than having to replace it.

Really you should hunt down the save files for any game you want to uninstall. There is a good variability in save file locations. Ubi has the most daft naming/location. Sleeping Dogs saves in the steamapps/common/sleeping\ dogs/data folder.

Should he worry about any additional step to revoke SecuROM activations?

[quote name='Motoki']It's the review bombarding and its effect on the score I have a problem with.

I agree that it's a part of the game and therefore worth discussing in reviews however I feel the score is artificially brought down much lower than it should be because people nerd raging over the always online portion are 100x more likely to post a review about it than someone who had no problems with it. Also 0 stars is too extreme.

A good bit of those people posting those scathing reviews didn't even play the game the just used it as a platform to vent their frustration and protest that sort of drm that they are ideologically opposed to.

Now I realize the always online requirement actually caused some people to have issues playing the game and that's different but as soon as that requirement was announced people were RAGING about it in multiple places on the net before the game even came out. I'm sure they couldn't wait to go post angry reviews.[/QUOTE]

And the number of people that said "Now I can't play Diablo on an airplane!" was fucking staggering.

The epitome of a first world problem.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed on the boards yet, but I just noticed that, when I bought the Dreamcast Pack from Amazon ($4.99, Steam Keys, includes Jet Set Radio), Steam gave me the option of where (Hard Drive, Installation folder) to install the game.

This is fantastic, since restrictions to one hard drive can get cumbersome after a few years of CAGly activity.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I'm not sure if this has been discussed on the boards yet, but I just noticed that, when I bought the Dreamcast Pack from Amazon ($4.99, Steam Keys, includes Jet Set Radio), Steam gave me the option of where (Hard Drive, Installation folder) to install the game.

This is fantastic, since restrictions to one hard drive can get cumbersome after a few years of CAGly activity.[/QUOTE]

Yep, was part of the most recent update.

[quote name='Steam']
- Games managed by the new content system can select alternate installation locations other than the Steam folder (Windows)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='asheskitty']Dedicated players fly during scheduled server maintenance.

Really dedicated players play Torchlight 2.[/QUOTE]

I prefer diablo over torchlight.

Blue drives are fine for storage, especially if you just use it to backup games, and install them to an SSD when you play.

The green drives die not from spinning down, but from parking the drive head. Think the needle in a record player. They also usually only have a one year warranty, vs 3 or 5 of Blue and Black.

Hahaha, I had a feeling I was a bit late on it, but it's still an exciting improvement. (Admittedly, though, it's good to know the feature was part of the "most recent update" - It shows that I'm not too far behind, if at all.) I believe there have been some fan programs in the past that assisted with this matter, but it's far more comforting to know that the feature is now officially part of the Steam system.

[quote name='asheskitty']WD Blue drives are fine for running your OS or games.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's what my boot drive is; 160GB WD Blue. Though it's waiting (begging really) for an SSD update. Unfortunately, it's far down on the priorities list.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Hahaha, I had a feeling I was a bit late on it, but it's still an exciting improvement. (Admittedly, though, it's good to know the feature was part of the "most recent update" - It shows that I'm not too far behind, if at all.) I believe there have been some fan programs in the past that assisted with this matter, but it's far more comforting to know that the feature is now officially part of the Steam system.[/QUOTE]

It officially rolled out in the most recent update.

If you were opted into the beta it's been kicking around since September.

Nice feature, though I wish it wasn't restricted to only games with the updated content system. Seems like a weird requirement for such a seemingly simple feature.

[quote name='Flowette']Silly question- doesn't Steam Cloud support this kind of save game functionality?[/QUOTE]
Well first of all, as was mentioned, not all games are supported yet. But more important, wouldn't you be required to be constantly online, in order for the cloud to sync your save games?

[quote name='aronater']Well first of all, as was mentioned, not all games are supported yet. But more important, wouldn't you be required to be constantly online, in order for the cloud to sync your save games?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but if the issue was making sure Steam didn't delete your saves on an uninstall that wouldn't be a matter of concern. The point was that for Steam Cloud games you know that your saves are safe and don't have to research whether or not you need to back them up before having Steam delete the local data of a game.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Ah, had no clue about the Green drives. I got a Caviar Green 2TB drive recently. Couldn't beat the price and the reviews were really good for it. Here's hoping it holds up though if it dies I only really keep Steam games on it so no real panic there other than having to replace it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... I've had a bunch of Green drives in my desktop for a few years now and they've been fine (knock on wood). I think HDDs tend to die either right away or near the end of their life expectancy anyway so you'd either know right away or you'll get good use out of it before it dies. I think you'll be fine :)

[quote name='plutoknight']Avoid the WD Green -- It's an HDD with special power settings (that you can disable, I guess), and all other kkinds of wonkery to make it "green" (as in, eco-friendly green). the one I had failed -just- outside the warranty. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='Preedatore']The green drives essentially power down and stop spinning to save power when not in use. Then, when needed, spin back up. This causes more wear and tear than the standard drive, which causes a higher failure rate.[/QUOTE]
I realize this doesn't negate the negative experiences of others, but I've actually had a rather pleasant experience with the WD green drives. (I believe I'm running three of them between my different machines at home) The key factor is that you have to run wdidle3 and either disable the parking (if you're using an older green drive) or set the timeout higher. (Newer drives which do not play nice with the disable function) It's entirely possible that due to being "green" the drives don't perform as fast overall as the blue/black drives, but I can't tell due to lack of a blue/black for comparison.

So yeah. A green would be fine for storage if you disable or max out time parking time, though it may run slower than a blue. Or you can just skip the whole headache and avoid getting a green. ;P

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Today's Daily Deal is The Book of Unwritten Tales for $9.99 (50% off).

For the sake of completeness, I want to note that the DLC, the Digital Extras, are $4.99. (50% off, as well.)[/QUOTE]

I'd like the game, but at more than 50% off. I'm still tempted as it's one of the games that works in the Linux beta and I'd play it when I travel later this month.

[quote name='louiedog']I'd like the game, but at more than 50% off. I'm still tempted as it's one of the games that works in the Linux beta and I'd play it when I travel later this month.[/QUOTE]

Same here. It will get cheaper than 50% off and maybe even end up in a bundle someday so I am waiting even though I do really want it and the recently released prequel game too.

For anyone who grabbed AirBuccaneers in the IndieFortChampionship bundle (or otherwise on GamersGate?), a Steam key should be available in your GamersGate account. I had one waiting, anyway.

[quote name='asheskitty']Really you should hunt down the save files for any game you want to uninstall. There is a good variability in save file locations. Ubi has the most daft naming/location. Sleeping Dogs saves in the steamapps/common/sleeping\ dogs/data folder.[/QUOTE]
That seems pretty standard to me. Program Files and Documents locations are the easiest places to look, what I hate is random games like Burnout Paradise, for example which uses

c:\users\yourname\appdata\local\criterion games\burnout paradise\save

Heck, it's technically a "hidden" folder by default Windows settings.

[quote name='gilby']For anyone who grabbed AirBuccaneers in the IndieFortChampionship bundle (or otherwise on GamersGate?), a Steam key should be available in your GamersGate account. I had one waiting, anyway.[/QUOTE]

And if they had made that information known at the time they might have sold more bundles.

I would love for the Steam client to get updated with plugin support. I'm sure a dropbox/gdrive/skydrive/box/etc plugin connected to a database of save game locations would come quickly. I find the gamesave manager application to be kind of cumbersome and I often forget to make my own symlinks.

I've had no problem with the WD Green. I set it to never spin down in Windows power management. I've never heard of the head parking so I'm going to look into that.

I'm putting off getting a new HDD for now but I'd go for the 2TB WD Black. If you're playing a lot of games and got a bunch of media and stuff, 1TB ain't gonna cut it for long.

For save files I use Gamesave Manager to back them up daily, works great and is free.

[quote name='Motoki']And if they had made that information known at the time they might have sold more bundles.[/QUOTE]

They did. The description on the Alpha package that was in the bundle stated it came with access to all later development builds as well as the finished game. I think it was known at the time that the final game would require Steam.

[quote name='gilby']They did. The description on the Alpha package that was in the bundle stated it came with access to all later development builds as well as the finished game. I think it was known at the time that the final game would require Steam.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like digging for information. They need to make it abundantly clear that it would. Hell, had the one dev from world of tanks not told us that certain games would come with steam keys for the new indie fort bundles nobody would have known and gamersgate in the past did not include steam keys for games that were on steam but offered drm free builds.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']The most amusing element, for me, is the Yip Yip martian that seems to be present in the game's promotional image.

the-book-of-unwritten-tales.jpg

YipYip.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yes, absolutely! I'm just a couple scenes in and haven't seen it yet.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']A bit late to the party, as usual, but:

This Samsung Spinpoint F3 is usually very well-regarded (I have two).

Also, 24 hour deal on a Crucial SSD - promo code EMCYTZT2606. Also a good brand. I'm actually considering getting one just for games (they load so fast!!).[/QUOTE]

Yes, the F3's were good and the F4 (HD204UI) as well. Problem is, since Seagate bought Samsung HDD division you're getting Seagate drives. not the original Samsung ones. Seagate basically just slapped a new label with the Samsung model number on one of their crappy models.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Sounds like digging for information. They need to make it abundantly clear that it would.[/QUOTE]

True. It could have been clearer.

From what I remember, that was the only game in that bundle that had Steam keys forthcoming. But I do recall that it was quite clear that grabbing it would get you the final game as well. That's why I grabbed it.

I did have to dig for information about Steam and Desura keys for most items in that bundle. For the most part, the information was that they weren't available. A comment somewhere noted that Telepath RPG could be activated on Desura. A couple of games on Greenlight said they would give out keys if they made it. Most had nothing other than GamersGate downloads. AirBuccaneers stood out from the rest because it was actually clear that it would come with a final version key.

[quote name='Garbanzo']Yes, the F3's were good and the F4 (HD204UI) as well. Problem is, since Seagate bought Samsung HDD division you're getting Seagate drives. not the original Samsung ones. Seagate basically just slapped a new label with the Samsung model number on one of their crappy models.[/QUOTE]

This is why I went with WD instead of the Samsung.

Has anyone else noticed several small updates to most of their games on steam? (like less than 30 MB) Is this for big picture or what are these tiny updates? I can't find any info on them

[quote name='kendog1331']Has anyone else noticed several small updates to most of their games on steam? (like less than 30 MB) Is this for big picture or what are these tiny updates? I can't find any info on them[/QUOTE]

I've had a some (like 10 that I have installed) of my games get updates in the last day because of the new file system for them now being available.

[quote name='kendog1331']Has anyone else noticed several small updates to most of their games on steam? (like less than 30 MB) Is this for big picture or what are these tiny updates? I can't find any info on them[/QUOTE]
They're prepping you for their new BrainLink hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back