The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V5! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
We appreciate you helping keep this thread up to date. The sales change virtually every day so no one person has the time to update them all. If you notice a game is no longer on sale, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see a game is on sale, add it to the list. Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 12/16

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s) Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals

Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 9/23

Amazon
  • Amazon - Preorders

• Amazon - Current Deals

GamersGate

Greenman Gaming

Preorder Deals - Updated 10/28
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card.
The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

All retail Valve games and a number of third-party games can be registered to your Steam account. All of the following games can be registered through Steam:
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • AI War CD Keys in various formats
  • Aliens vs. Predator (2010 Release) CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Audiosurf CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • BRINK CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is not accepted on Steam
  • Cities in Motion CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Civilization V CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Cricket Revolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
  • Darksiders CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: The number 2 and letter Z may look very similar.
  • Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dawn of War II - Retribution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Duke Nukem Forever CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Empire: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-DDEFGH3-IJK4L-MNOPQ-RST56
  • F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • F.E.A.R. 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Fallout: New Vegas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2010 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2011 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Front Mission Evolved CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Global Agenda CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
  • GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Homefront CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Humble Indie Bundle in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 2 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 3 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Just Cause 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Please input all O's and 0's as Q's for Just Cause 2
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Killing Floor CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Last Remnant CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lionheart: Kings' Crusade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition CD Keys are not accepted on Steam
  • Mafia 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Magicka CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Metro 2033 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • MLB Front Office Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: Warband CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • NBA 2K9 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Napoleon: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Order of War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
  • R.U.S.E. CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
  • RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Railworks CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Rogue Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Serious Sam HD CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Shattered Horizon CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ship Simulator Extremes CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Space Trader CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Speedball 2 - Tournament in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Star Trek: D-A-C CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Super Meat Boy CD keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Supreme Commander 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Torchlight CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Unreal Tournament 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM
  • Velvet Assassin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM
  • Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • X3: Terran Conflict CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Zeno Clash CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.
Note: Only the retail games listed above can be registered through Steam. No other retail games can be registered and downloaded using Steam.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

The Ball (bought @D2D and tested by voken)
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon and tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dfg']There are better FPSs out there worth playing. From the same era, try No One Lives Forever (1 and 2). Stylish and hilarious.[/QUOTE]

I would give one of my left nuts to be able to get NOLF 1+2 on Steam. Two of my favourite games of all time and the first FPS I played online.

So my profile pic isn't working.

Changed it recently to Wile E Coyote.

I assume there's no copyright issue with that?

(I should know this by now, just never have really paid attention to my profile pic...)

Thanks

[quote name='jkimrey']So my profile pic isn't working.

Changed it recently to Wile E Coyote.

I assume there's no copyright issue with that?

(I should know this by now, just never have really paid attention to my profile pic...)

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I can see your avatar just fine...

[quote name='SeymourGams']I would give one of my left nuts to be able to get NOLF 1+2 on Steam. Two of my favourite games of all time and the first FPS I played online.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, very fine games indeed. I'm not sure I'm down with giving up my body parts to get it on Steam though.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hal']Yeah, very fine games indeed. I'm not sure I'm down with giving up my body parts to get it on Steam tough.[/QUOTE]

I don't think he's offering one of his own since he phrased it to suggest that he owns more than one left nut......

[quote name='DPsycho']I don't think he's offering one of his own since he phrased it to suggest that he owns more than one left nut......[/QUOTE]

I tittered. :lol:

[quote name='jkimrey']Odd. I'm just seeing a broken picture link.[/QUOTE]

Wyle E. Coyote holding up a Help! sign while standing on the severed skull of the Raod Runner. Yeah, I can see it just fine. You guys aren't seeing that!?!

[quote name='SeymourGams']I would give one of my left nuts to be able to get NOLF 1+2 on Steam. Two of my favourite games of all time and the first FPS I played online.[/QUOTE]
Amen brother. These two were amazing. NOLF2 still looks great today and both of them hold up amazingly well. Just fantastic games and on my best of all time list.

I see what you did there. ;)

I'm also not seeing elessar123's avatar either - it's also showing as a broken link (previous page).

edit: Nevermind. Cleared my cache and all is back to normal. I so stupid.

[quote name='walkonshadows']Wyle E. Coyote holding up a Help! sign while standing on the severed skull of the Raod Runner. Yeah, I can see it just fine. You guys aren't seeing that!?![/QUOTE]

[quote name='walkonshadows']Blanket forts is why I have a pillow fetish still today. Every once in a while I still make a blanket fort, with separate rooms and all. I pretend the border on the rug is a moat and....oh damn, I just realized this is the wrong forum...wait which one is this....Oh Steam, guess I'll post this then....
[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlGFdw6b2EM

:cool:

[quote name='RollingSkull']Amen brother. These two were amazing. NOLF2 still looks great today and both of them hold up amazingly well. Just fantastic games and on my best of all time list.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention the set pieces were amazing, I mean fighting off Ninja's in a trailer park in the middle of a tornado. :whee:

With all that said why isn't NOLF 1 and 2 on Steam yet.. I mean they are both older games are they on GoG?

Hopefully they end up on Steam one day. The original is far funnier and more clever than the sequel (but still worth playing), but I was also annoyed that they didn't handle widescreen resolutions very well (all distorted). And skip the spin off, Contract JACK, which is the cookie-cutter FPS antithesis of NOLF.

[quote name='Wolfmight']Massive Serious Sam Collection - 7 Games - $19.95

http://www.amazon.com/Most-Serious-Bundle-Ever-Download/dp/B008Y2F9AM/tag=childsplaycha-20

All work with (and require) steam! More backlog, Wooo!
[/QUOTE]

I saw this deal earlier... are these games worth it? I've never played a single Serious Sam game, but I've heard they're like Smash TV from an FPS perspective. My friend played BFE and found it somewhat enjoyable, but are the other games worth it?

I should have bought it on Steam when the Raptr coupon stacked with the sale... I was too much of a CAG and wanted to wait until it went on a daily deal to save a buck, haha.

That seems like a really good deal on the Serious Sam Collection, i'm still missing BFE 3 so i can't comment on that one but i know it's usually still around $40, so 9.99 on there, the other one's are well worth the extra $10

36 hours and I am finished with Darksiders 2. It was a lot of fun, I missed only a small handful of items and I did all side quests but one that I forgot about. I accidentally accepted doing New Game + before I could go back to finish that one quest and to top that off I accidentally selected normal difficulty (I wanted to do Apocalyptic for my second play).

So besides what happened due to my own screw ups, the game was fantastic and I enjoyed every moment of it. If you liked the first or are a fan of Zelda type games you owe it to yourself to play this. My only complaint about the game itself is the ending was pretty damn weak which I find weird because the first Darksiders ending was actually pretty damn cool though I guess this ending is fitting.

[quote name='dfg']Hopefully they end up on Steam one day. The original is far funnier and more clever than the sequel (but still worth playing)[/QUOTE]
I know that's the popular sentiment but I actually liked the second better. Either way, they're among my favorite FPS games. I've got the boxed copies sitting on my shelf, beckoning me.

[quote name='imac2much']I saw this deal earlier... are these games worth it? I've never played a single Serious Sam game, but I've heard they're like Smash TV from an FPS perspective. My friend played BFE and found it somewhat enjoyable, but are the other games worth it?

I should have bought it on Steam when the Raptr coupon stacked with the sale... I was too much of a CAG and wanted to wait until it went on a daily deal to save a buck, haha.[/QUOTE]
I love Serious Sam games, they are great intense fun because they throw hoards of shit at you at once. This trailer for Serious Sam 3 will pretty much sum up your decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQGO46QGlbk

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I love Serious Sam games, they are great intense fun because they throw hoards of shit at you at once. This trailer for Serious Sam 3 will pretty much sum up your decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQGO46QGlbk[/QUOTE]

That actually looks kind of awesome? I played the original when I was younger and don't recall there even being a plot, outside of 'Blow up every living creature.' And Sam isn't looking too bad, it's nice to see a male character animated for looks for once.

I always hear people use "Zelda" when describing Darksiders (which is in the backlog, natch) and its sequel, but as someone whose last Zelda experience was The Adventure of Link for the NES more than 20 years ago, which Zelda are they talking about?

[quote name='dfg']I always hear people use "Zelda" when describing Darksiders (which is in the backlog, natch) and its sequel, but as someone whose last Zelda experience was The Adventure of Link for the NES more than 20 years ago, which Zelda are they talking about?[/QUOTE]

It is the whole exploring the world, going into dungeons getting new items that can give you access to previous inaccessible areas and find secrets.

[quote name='dfg']I always hear people use "Zelda" when describing Darksiders (which is in the backlog, natch) and its sequel, but as someone whose last Zelda experience was The Adventure of Link for the NES more than 20 years ago, which Zelda are they talking about?[/QUOTE]

more Ocarina of Time than anything else. And that's not a bad thing.

Could be. OoT was boring as hell and had you running back and forth to the same places over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

I know everyone puts it up there as this awesome game but it's the same areas re-hashed over and over. The difference is THIS time you have a flute, or a bomb, or some other item that lets you in 1 place different. Course, Metroid does the same thing and I don't mind there nearly as much as I did OoT.

So if anyone here hasn't checked out Dungeons of Dredmor yet they should give it a second look, not only is it a great Rougelike but the developers and moderators all deserve a huge amount of money after putting an end to a , "Go make a sandwhich" 'joker'

http://cake-pie.com/women-gamers-gaslamp-games-forums-are-amazing/931/

I have never been so impressed with a forum community before. If only more Moderators were like that; maybe the whole http://fatuglyorslutty.com/ would come to an end.

[quote name='Sophita']So if anyone here hasn't checked out Dungeons of Dredmor yet they should give it a second look, not only is it a great Rougelike but the developers and moderators all deserve a huge amount of money after putting an end to a , "Go make a sandwhich" 'joker'

I have never been so impressed with a forum community before. If only more Moderators were like that; maybe the whole http://fatuglyorslutty.com/ would come to an end.[/QUOTE]

I'll second that Dredmor is worth a look if you have even a vague interest in roguelikes (or rougelieks, your call). :)

[quote name='KaOTiK']36 hours and I am finished with Darksiders 2. It was a lot of fun
, I missed only a small handful of items and I did all side quests but one that I forgot about. I accidentally accepted doing New Game + before I could go back to finish that one quest and to top that off I accidentally selected normal difficulty (I wanted to do Apocalyptic for my second play).

So besides what happened due to my own screw ups, the game was fantastic and I enjoyed every moment of it. If you liked the first or are a fan of Zelda type games you owe it to yourself to play this. My only complaint about the game itself is the ending was pretty damn weak which I find weird because the first Darksiders ending was actually pretty damn cool though I guess this ending is fitting.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that! I was hoping the analogy was Ocarina of Time because that's the one that makes sense to me, but it's also the last one I played.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']Could be. OoT was boring as hell and had you running back and forth to the same places over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

I know everyone puts it up there as this awesome game but it's the same areas re-hashed over and over. The difference is THIS time you have a flute, or a bomb, or some other item that lets you in 1 place different. Course, Metroid does the same thing and I don't mind there nearly as much as I did OoT.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I thought I was the only one who didn't like OoT. I tried playing it when it first came out (borrowed my friend's N64 and game) and lost interest in around the 3rd dungeon.

Tried again in college when I bought an N64 for cheap with OoT, Starfox 64 and Smash... ended up playing the latter two waaaay more than OoT.

Tried the last time with my friend's OoT 3D for the 3DS... still lost interest within 2 hours.

I've been wondering if there's something wrong with me, since so many other people claim that it's one of the best video games of our generation, but I just can't understand. I even like other "3d Zelda-like games" such as Okami and Darksiders... Good to know that someone else shares my view :)

[quote name='imac2much']I saw this deal earlier... are these games worth it? I've never played a single Serious Sam game, but I've heard they're like Smash TV from an FPS perspective. My friend played BFE and found it somewhat enjoyable, but are the other games worth it?

I should have bought it on Steam when the Raptr coupon stacked with the sale... I was too much of a CAG and wanted to wait until it went on a daily deal to save a buck, haha.[/QUOTE]
I too made that mistake, figured I was not gonna pay 3.74 for it so wanted to wait till the inevitable daily deal 75% off making it 9.99 and using the coupon to get it for 2.49.
They deactivated the damn coupon before it went on daily

[quote name='Blade']The last time I checked, GATT seemed to be run by people with the mentality of a 10-year-old. Collectively. Like, if they were Legion, they'd chant tasteless pee-pee jokes and make blanket forts to stay up past 9PM.[/QUOTE]
So I guess you are against pillow fights and spin the bottle?

[quote name='krevee']But who doesn't want to make blanket forts ;)[/QUOTE]
Damn Straight :lol:

I thought Serious Sam 3 was really boring. SS3's pacing is atrocious, chucking a half dozen enemies at you at a time just trickling them into the fight. You can't really have fun with it until you get to the last level and the hordes there but even then it just becomes a game of walking backward and shooting. Just not what I have in mind when I think heavy action.

Still the best of the enemy spam mindless shooters but that's not a tough field. I recommend getting Serious Sam TSE. Not THAT much better but better balanced and designed in my opinion. Saves you some money. The games are all pretty much the same and I think most would agree TSE is the best. Enjoy that, get SS3 when it is super cheap.

Dungeons of Dredmor did not impress me. After playing so many free roguelikes, I really do not see the point of it. Plus, the levels are labyrinthian in size. You could be in the game two hours without finishing the first level if you sit and scour every room. It's nuts.

But it just doesn't have the quality of Stone Soup or Nethack and the animations really just slow the game down, in my opinion. Apart from the cool feeling you get when you open a door and MONSTER ZOO appears on the screen and the music shifts into overdrive, there's just not a lot to draw me into it when I could be playing better designed and paced roguelikes.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I thought Serious Sam 3 was really boring. SS3's pacing is atrocious, chucking a half dozen enemies at you at a time just trickling them into the fight. You can't really have fun with it until you get to the last level and the hordes there but even then it just becomes a game of walking backward and shooting. Just not what I have in mind when I think heavy action.

Still the best of the enemy spam mindless shooters but that's not a tough field. I recommend getting Serious Sam TSE. Not THAT much better but better balanced and designed in my opinion. Saves you some money. The games are all pretty much the same and I think most would agree TSE is the best. Enjoy that, get SS3 when it is super cheap.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the recommendations! Yes, I've also heard from my friend, "Once you've played one Serious Sam, you've played them all." I guess I'll pass on the Amazon bundle and watch out for Second Encounter or BFE to go on sale.

[quote name='Sophita']So if anyone here hasn't checked out Dungeons of Dredmor yet they should give it a second look, not only is it a great Rougelike but the developers and moderators all deserve a huge amount of money after putting an end to a , "Go make a sandwhich" 'joker'

I have never been so impressed with a forum community before. If only more Moderators were like that; maybe the whole http://fatuglyorslutty.com/ would come to an end.[/QUOTE]

I must be part of the problem because I feel like that site name could be put to so much better use if it was dedicated to vainly judging people...

[quote name='imac2much']Thanks for the recommendations! Yes, I've also heard from my friend, "Once you've played one Serious Sam, you've played them all." I guess I'll pass on the Amazon bundle and watch out for Second Encounter or BFE to go on sale.[/QUOTE]

BFE is SS3.
SS2 is SS2 but nobody likes SS2 so it really doesn't exist.
TSE is SS1.5ish but the best.
TFE is SS1.
TFE and TSE are old and got HD remakes on Steem. They lost all the coolest gravity gimmicks though because Croteam is going soft or something.

Didn't really get the point of the HD remakes to be honest. They were JUST FINE looking, even today. The HD remakes didn't add a whole lot either.

Put almost 4 hours into Darksiders II and its great. Really love seeing a sequel that takes something that was good, and makes it so much better. It's also still on sale at Getgamesgo for $38. Its also the limited edition so you get some free dlc with it too.

[quote name='RollingSkull']
Dungeons of Dredmor did not impress me. After playing so many free roguelikes, I really do not see the point of it. Plus, the levels are labyrinthian in size. You could be in the game two hours without finishing the first level if you sit and scour every room. It's nuts.

But it just doesn't have the quality of Stone Soup or Nethack and the animations really just slow the game down, in my opinion. Apart from the cool feeling you get when you open a door and MONSTER ZOO appears on the screen and the music shifts into overdrive, there's just not a lot to draw me into it when I could be playing better designed and paced roguelikes.[/QUOTE]

I think the issue is, If your a fan of Nethack your hardcore and set in your ways. But for average users, people who can't stare at ASCII all day and figure out lines of @###D##OI. Dungeons of Dredmor offers a great middle ground. DoD is the first rougelike I have ever loved to play and even then I still do not use perma death and I save all the time. For people like me DoD is a great, "My First Rougelike"

Based upon users reviews Dwarf Fortress is like the ultimate game for simulation/management and strategy. I have also heard the same about how insane Nethack is and how people can play that game for years and never get bored. But my problem is and always be the fact my eyes go crosseyed trying to play a game that looks like the matrix font.

So basically Dungeons of Dredmor great roguelike if your a newcomer, but easily avoided if your a avid fan of nethack and fear the letter D on a screen :cool:

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I must be part of the problem because I feel like that site name could be put to so much better use if it was dedicated to vainly judging people...[/QUOTE]

Well there is already a site like that with HotOrNot :lol: F.U.S is an amazing place to post messages you get from creeps into a public shamming sphere.

Kind of like how in a dream world sex offenders would not only be listed but also be forced to carry around a sign or be marked in some permanent way.

[quote name='Motoki']It's heartwarming to see all you cool kids jump on the same bandwagon but how do you know it was worthy of publication? How do you know you were entertained? I am a 21 year old self appointed opinionated whether people like it or not expert on everything and I know the way the world works. You CAGs clearly do not.

Maybe Fox and TrollingAllTheTime have limited resources and thus are not truly able to entertain.

Ultimately it doesn't matter anyway because Google will run the Fluxcapictorcraptaculorarticleaudiencegenerating algothorim and generate a lot of traffic there and people will skim Fox's article and buy craptacular bundle #37 and nothing anyone says here matters.[/QUOTE]
I'm not arguing with anyone, I don't think my view on the matter is the end all correct one, and I never even took a side on the matter in the first place.

You don't like me, I get it. Honestly though, you don't need to be a jerk every time someone happens to quote one of my posts. Yes, I'm 21; how old are you? If I had to judge from your posts towards me, I'd have guess that you're still in Jr. High.

[quote name='hal']I didn't read the article because I don't really care. You seem to be advocating pushing out crap or marginal crap for search engine optimization and I just can't get on board with that at all. So more people read your crap... how many are coming back? That's what you want.

Now, I'm speaking about this purely from the standpoint of a person who has been doing this for the last 13 years. I'm assuming the end goal is developing a site that people will value and return to on their own without "tricking them" via search, and not simply trying to generate page hits and pennies via Google Ads.[/QUOTE]
I'm not advocating anything. I have agreed time and again that the article is indeed very crappy. I'm an article writer myself; do you actually think I'm saying that's a fine article and "advocating" the practice of putting out crap?

The only point I was bringing out is that people are only looking at it from one perspective. In my original post I was basically saying "Damn, the owner of the site is obviously churning out articles when he doesn't have the proper time to do so; I understand the predicament he's gotten himself into, but yeah, that's a really bad article."

Maybe you haven't really read my posts, I don't know. All I did was offer a different perspective on the subject, while still agreeing with the original perspective. It's generally a smart practice to not blindly look at things one way and one way only; hence a little commentary on why you may see shoddy articles come out of situations like that. Any comments about SEO stuff wasn't me saying "Oh yeah, pushing out crap is better than writing quality articles.", I was just commenting on the sad truth that Google pays more attention to constant crap than slow quality.

That said, it only took a quick Google search on GamerX's other articles to see that he doesn't publish that "crap" all the time. The first article I opened and read over was pretty good.

http://site.gamingallthetime.com/review/orcs-must-die-2-brings-franchise-u

How do I feel personally about it all? A few different ways. I think that first article was garbage, and that he shouldn't have posted it (although I do understand where it came from). I also probably wouldn't boycott the Indie Face Kick Bundle simply because of a crappy article or two. If it's selling some games that look fun for cheap, I'll buy them. Kind of seems silly not to, but that's just me.

People tend to think that when someone offers their opinion that they're obviously insisting that whatever they say is the only correct opinion. I don't do that; hell, I don't think anyone in this thread posts with that attitude in mind, so I don't quite understand why people assume that. Every opinion is valid in its own way, I'm not sure why it all has to be such an argument.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I must be part of the problem because I feel like that site name could be put to so much better use if it was dedicated to vainly judging people...[/QUOTE]

Lol I had the same thought. I was disappointed when I clicked on the link and didn't see pictures of people to rate.

How do you guys organize your Steam libraries in terms of categories? By genre seems like a good route to me, spent the last hour or so trying while watching tv. Some are easy - Rage goes in FPS, Jamestown goes in SHMUP. Others, I'm learning that I need to know more about the games I buy or get via bundle (Project Freedom? Why do I own this? What *is* the Ironclads series, really? I own 5 of them apparently). I'm also discovering a big need for a Rolling Skull-esque "Indie Jank" category :)

Anyone doing something else like by publisher or something? Or anyone have any super-elaborate genre categories they'd like to share?

[quote name='Lint21']How do you guys organize your Steam libraries in terms of categories? By genre seems like a good route to me, spent the last hour or so trying while watching tv. Some are easy - Rage goes in FPS, Jamestown goes in SHMUP. Others, I'm learning that I need to know more about the games I buy or get via bundle (Project Freedom? Why do I own this? What *is* the Ironclads series, really? I own 5 of them apparently). I'm also discovering a big need for a Rolling Skull-esque "Indie Jank" category :)

Anyone doing something else like by publisher or something? Or anyone have any super-elaborate genre categories they'd like to share?[/QUOTE]

I'm actually working on making a spreadsheet for all of my games as well. So far, I'm able to sort them all into the following categories:

Action
Action/Adventure
Adventure
Casual
Horror
Platformer
Racing
RPG
Shoot-em-up
Shooter
Simulation
Strategy

I only ever played Nethack or Stone Soup with tilesets. I couldn't tell you anything beyond @ = human and d = dog. To me it just reeks of... well, paying for XIII when you could get NOLF for free. A lesser game in the same genre.

[quote name='Lint21']How do you guys organize your Steam libraries in terms of categories? By genre seems like a good route to me, spent the last hour or so trying while watching tv. Some are easy - Rage goes in FPS, Jamestown goes in SHMUP. Others, I'm learning that I need to know more about the games I buy or get via bundle (Project Freedom? Why do I own this? What *is* the Ironclads series, really? I own 5 of them apparently). I'm also discovering a big need for a Rolling Skull-esque "Indie Jank" category :)

Anyone doing something else like by publisher or something? Or anyone have any super-elaborate genre categories they'd like to share?[/QUOTE]

I was actually thinking about using the categories that Raptr assigns. It's categorized my 1600+ games into about 30 different categories. I'm planning on spending a couple hours to copy this in the Steam library.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']I was actually thinking about using the categories that Raptr assigns. It's categorized my 1600+ games into about 30 different categories. I'm planning on spending a couple hours to copy this in the Steam library.[/QUOTE]
Speaking of Raptr (which I know nothing about), can it be used in the same way that Backloggery works? I've been meaning to start compiling my backlog before it gets too out of hand, and I was wondering which is the... I don't know, most efficient?

Backlog
Beaten
Garbage
Multiplayer
Playing

Works perfectly for me. If you want to do it by genre and don't know one, you could check its store page and see where they put it.

Here's how I organize my library. Seems to work for me :/

Favorites
Currently Playing
Currently Playing (Mulitplayer)
Currently Playing (Paused) - For games I stopped playing for whatever reason but I am coming back to
To Play

Then I have genres :
Adventure
Adventure Completed
FPS
FPS Completed
Indie
Indie Completed
Puzzle
Puzzle Completed
RPG
RPG Completed
Strategy
Strategy Completed
Valve

I may split some genres in to sub genres eventually, but for now it keeps me from having a ton of tabs open and looking for games I am going to play. I can find the ones I want to play pretty easy while keep some stuff by genre.

[quote name='atreyuevr']I'm actually working on making a spreadsheet for all of my games as well. So far, I'm able to sort them all into the following categories:

Action
Action/Adventure
Adventure
Casual
Horror
Platformer
Racing
RPG
Shoot-em-up
Shooter
Simulation
Strategy[/QUOTE]

That's about what I have so far too. I have a couple of more specific categories for sub-genres I really enjoy and collect, like City Building.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']I was actually thinking about using the categories that Raptr assigns. It's categorized my 1600+ games into about 30 different categories. I'm planning on spending a couple hours to copy this in the Steam library.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to look into that, thanks! Would be nice to not reinvent the wheel. I do wish that Steam had more advanced options w/r/t/ categorization, maybe even something like auto-importing from services like Raptr. They're a bunch of hot-shot genuises out at Valve, why hasn't this happened yet haha

You're basically doing it like I do it.

FPS, Dungeon Crawlers, Roguelikes, schmup, dual stick shooters, tower defense, 4x, puzzle, etc.

But then i hit a pile of games that i have no idea how or when i got them, and zero idea what they are. then i start researching something, get sidetracked, and burn out. usually, by this point i've only actually categorized maybe 5 to 10 of my games, and spent an hour or so.

oh, and i have a garbage and finished category too, though i don't know that i like my finished category... might be best just to keep it in its genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back