The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V5! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
We appreciate you helping keep this thread up to date. The sales change virtually every day so no one person has the time to update them all. If you notice a game is no longer on sale, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see a game is on sale, add it to the list. Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 12/16

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s) Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals

Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 9/23

Amazon
  • Amazon - Preorders

• Amazon - Current Deals

GamersGate

Greenman Gaming

Preorder Deals - Updated 10/28
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card.
The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

All retail Valve games and a number of third-party games can be registered to your Steam account. All of the following games can be registered through Steam:
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • AI War CD Keys in various formats
  • Aliens vs. Predator (2010 Release) CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Audiosurf CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • BRINK CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is not accepted on Steam
  • Cities in Motion CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Civilization V CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Cricket Revolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
  • Darksiders CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: The number 2 and letter Z may look very similar.
  • Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dawn of War II - Retribution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Duke Nukem Forever CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Empire: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-DDEFGH3-IJK4L-MNOPQ-RST56
  • F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • F.E.A.R. 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Fallout: New Vegas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2010 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2011 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Front Mission Evolved CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Global Agenda CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
  • GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Homefront CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Humble Indie Bundle in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 2 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 3 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Just Cause 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Please input all O's and 0's as Q's for Just Cause 2
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Killing Floor CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Last Remnant CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lionheart: Kings' Crusade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition CD Keys are not accepted on Steam
  • Mafia 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Magicka CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Metro 2033 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • MLB Front Office Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: Warband CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • NBA 2K9 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Napoleon: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Order of War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
  • R.U.S.E. CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
  • RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Railworks CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Rogue Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Serious Sam HD CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Shattered Horizon CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ship Simulator Extremes CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Space Trader CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Speedball 2 - Tournament in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Star Trek: D-A-C CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Super Meat Boy CD keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Supreme Commander 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Torchlight CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Unreal Tournament 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM
  • Velvet Assassin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM
  • Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • X3: Terran Conflict CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Zeno Clash CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.
Note: Only the retail games listed above can be registered through Steam. No other retail games can be registered and downloaded using Steam.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

The Ball (bought @D2D and tested by voken)
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon and tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish I'd never mentioned the bloody M-word now! :) Nevermind, life goes on. I miss that handsome avatar of his though.

I like this thread. A lot. I'd never have even heard about Mooby's RPG Codex background anywhere else, it's a wealth of opinions in one tidy little black book of intelligible forum users. Well, mostly. I've never taken to that Fragalot chap. He's crazygagaloopydoo.

[quote name='Flowette']Wish I'd never mentioned the bloody M-word now! :) Nevermind, life goes on. I miss that handsome avatar of his though.

I like this thread. A lot. I'd never have even heard about Mooby's RPG Codex background anywhere else, it's a wealth of opinions in one tidy little black book of intelligible forum users. Well, mostly. I've never taken to that Fragalot chap. He's crazygagaloopydoo.[/QUOTE]

This is mostly the only thread I post in on CAG. I visit a few others, but don't usually post in them. But I think I come in here so much to essentially just check out up on how off topic it can get. Well, that and deals I guess...

EDIT: Since I missed earlier today and I feel like asking anyway, has anyone played Babel Rising? And on another note, did anyone get caught up with it and feel as though they need to complain to the makers because it has to do with the current religion their following?

[quote name='Kaltic']This is mostly the only thread I post in on CAG. I visit a few others, but don't usually post in them. But I think I come in here so much to essentially just check out up on how off topic it can get. Well, that and deals I guess...[/QUOTE]
image.php

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']
image.php
[/QUOTE]

Awww Gir is soooooo pretty. I actually made a painting of this image although his head is slightly out of proportion... because I am no artist.

EDIT: And I know that I am certainly a contributor at derailing this thread...

[quote name='Flowette']I like this thread. A lot. I'd never have even heard about Mooby's RPG Codex background anywhere else, it's a wealth of opinions in one tidy little black book of intelligible forum users. Well, mostly. I've never taken to that Fragalot chap. He's crazygagaloopydoo.[/QUOTE]

I am biased after working in IT. I have a special hatred for the human race and it has left me a dead cold husk who has no remorse over what he says. Thus I am often called an asshole, which I am somewhat and my speech has become monotone sarcasm. Plus being on the internet for roughly 20 years, I've come to realize that arguing a point is entirely pointless beyond your initial side. I just leave it at that and they can think whatever the hell they want as it's not worth the time investment. You can either just go with "Eh, I'll agree to disagree" or it will never end until one side can't take it anymore.

I guess my general "fuck it, I don't care anymore. I'll just sit over here and eat shit." attitude has turned me into a Panda. Just without the excess weight gain.

[quote name='Draekon']I am biased after working in IT. I have a special hatred for the human race and it has left me a dead cold husk who has no remorse over what he says. Thus I am often called an asshole, which I am somewhat and my speech has become monotone sarcasm. Plus being on the internet for roughly 20 years, I've come to realize that arguing a point is entirely pointless beyond your initial side. I just leave it at that and they can think whatever the hell they want as it's not worth the time investment. You can either just go with "Eh, I'll agree to disagree" or it will never end until one side can't take it anymore.

I guess my general "fuck it, I don't care anymore. I'll just sit over here and eat shit." attitude has turned me into a Panda. Just without the excess weight gain.[/QUOTE]
image.php

[quote name='Draekon']I guess my general "fuck it, I don't care anymore. I'll just sit over here and eat shit." attitude has turned me into a Panda. Just without the excess weight gain.[/QUOTE]
Somebody once told me that pandas are basically goths, it's hard to argue with that logic. For starters I've never seen a panda dancing to disco.

[quote name='Flowette']Somebody once told me that pandas are basically goths, it's hard to argue with that logic. For starters I've never seen a panda dancing to disco.[/QUOTE]

And they seem to have trouble breeding.

[quote name='Draekon']I am biased after working in IT. I have a special hatred for the human race and it has left me a dead cold husk who has no remorse over what he says. Thus I am often called an asshole, which I am somewhat and my speech has become monotone sarcasm. Plus being on the internet for roughly 20 years, I've come to realize that arguing a point is entirely pointless beyond your initial side. I just leave it at that and they can think whatever the hell they want as it's not worth the time investment. You can either just go with "Eh, I'll agree to disagree" or it will never end until one side can't take it anymore.

I guess my general "fuck it, I don't care anymore. I'll just sit over here and eat shit." attitude has turned me into a Panda. Just without the excess weight gain.[/QUOTE]

What was the connection to that statement and the one that you quoted?

I feel like I'm missing something contextually.

Also, DANGEROUSLY CAGGY DEAL TALK:

I noticed that the GreenManGaming 25% off code is valid on XCOM for those of us based NOT in North America. That makes it £22.50 ($34ish?) and comes with a copy of Civilization V. Decent deal.

Does anybody know if the XCOM game is region-locked?

Playing through Sleeping Dogs and this game brought my computer to its knees and I had to knock down the settings. If anyone else is running SLI and has a problem running it here is what I had to do to get it to run smooth with the newest nVidia driver 306.23:
To get SLI working, download nVidia Inspector. Click the spanner and screwdriver icon beside the 'driver version' field, to get to the games profiles list. Create a new profile and call it Sleeping Dogs or whatever you like. Select 'add application to current profile' and add the Sleeping Dogs exe - it's 'hkship.exe' in Steam/steamapps/common/SleepingDogs. Finally add the value '0x0C4010F5' (no quotes) in the 'SLI Compatibility bits (DX1x)' box. ~Laivasse at the Steam Forums

I went from 100+ temps, screaming card and stuttering to 70 temp and manageable noise and playable. Really enjoying this game and trying to beat so CAGs records in the Social Hub (looking at you CheapLikeAFox).

It looks like everyone with AirMech in their account is getting two additional copies in their inventory to give away.

[quote name='Mooby']My big problem with games like Oblivion is that they ultimately devolve into E-LARP simulators. There's basically no challenge or limiting circumstances. No choice and consequence, no mutually exclusive character development, etc.[/QUOTE]
All of my Bethesda games follow the same arc. Make character, go exploring, think "Hey, this world is pretty neat! What's over that hill?", repeat a bunch of times, get disillusioned that what's over the hill is always pretty much the same thing as what was over the previous hill, decide "Let's just wrap this up", complete main quest and done.

I enjoy them through that arc but I don't get how some people can spend hundreds and hundreds of hours in them. Good for them though, I should be so lucky to get that much enjoyment out of a game.

[quote name='headpiece747']Playing through Sleeping Dogs and this game brought my computer to its knees and I had to knock down the settings. If anyone else is running SLI and has a problem running it here is what I had to do to get it to run smooth with the newest nVidia driver 306.23:

I went from 100+ temps, screaming card and stuttering to 70 temp and manageable noise and playable. Really enjoying this game and trying to beat so CAGs records in the Social Hub (looking at you CheapLikeAFox).[/QUOTE]

I will wheelie around hong kong for hours if that's what it takes to protect my record ;)

[quote name='Syntax Error']All of my Bethesda games follow the same arc. Make character, go exploring, think "Hey, this world is pretty neat! What's over that hill?", repeat a bunch of times, get disillusioned that what's over the hill is always pretty much the same thing as what was over the previous hill, decide "Let's just wrap this up", complete main quest and done.

I enjoy them through that arc but I don't get how some people can spend hundreds and hundreds of hours in them. Good for them though, I should be so lucky to get that much enjoyment out of a game.[/QUOTE]

i normally do as many side quests as i can find and i still don't play it for anywhere near as long as other people do. i don't know where they get over 100+ hours of gameplay.

[quote name='stapleking']It looks like everyone with AirMech in their account is getting two additional copies in their inventory to give away.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I got suspended form steamgifts from trying to give them away (the Steam update message says that they are Beta Bundles, so I tried to give them away as such). Since they don't want them I gave them up to some steam friends that had them on their wishlist.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I remember playing the hell out of COD4 when it came out. There was just nothing else as tight and slick like that.

Haven't played another one since, though.

Not a fan of the multiplayer (or most competitive multiplayer, in general, to be fair) and could never justify the high price for such short single player campaigns.[/QUOTE]

I think the reasoning of those buying a COD game, BF game, or any of those shooter games w/ numerous different components is "I intend to play the whole package - SP and MP."
Otherwise, you should probably wait for price-drops....
Me - I pretty much wait for price-drops on MOST games. :p

[quote name='Flowette']Somebody once told me that pandas are basically goths, it's hard to argue with that logic. For starters I've never seen a panda dancing to disco.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW08bvllNFY

[quote name='Eldredpe']What was the connection to that statement and the one that you quoted?

I feel like I'm missing something contextually.[/QUOTE]

Nothing particular. Just random speak for no particular reason. I enjoy coming out of thing air and saying slightly relevant shit to non-relevant discussions in topics I frequent.

[quote name='Mooby']Risen 2 is worse than Risen 1.[/QUOTE]

I like them both (Risen 1 and 2) quite a bit.

I think more than anything - it takes A LOT OF TIME to get used to Risen 2's combat b/c of the camera and control changes (when compared to the original Risen).

The good thing about the unlocked camera and changed controls is it makes it VERY-VERY easy that you can directly swing from enemy to enemy w/ very little movement of anything here...unlike Risen 1. Response time is MUCH faster in Risen 2.

One thing Risen 2 could benefit from is having a key that just RESETS the camera BEHIND the player's shoulders - which ALWAYS should be placed in 3rd person game games like these w/ unlocked cams like these. Didn't anybody learn this camera reset IS that important from Silent Hill on the PSX years ago?

The bad thing is - well, most of us are probably used to Risen 1's locked camera and controls; so Risen 2's camera and controls WILL take some time getting used to; if you can get used to it.

What they probably SHOULD'VE DONE is gave the player an option to Switch to TOGGLE b/t Locked Cam and Unlocked Camera Mode.

My criticisms are more centered around what makes a Gothic/PB game a Gothic/PB game. A lot of stuff is lacking in Risen 2.

[quote name='Eldredpe']
To me it really cheapens gaining levels and the satisfaction gained from supposedly late-game content.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It renders it borderline meaningless. Whereas if a developer takes the time to design a world where there are varying areas of tougher enemies, better loot, cooler places to explore, etc; it enhances the experience. "I wonder what was in that small fort I stumbled across when I was level 3 that I couldn't get in because the guards would destroy me?"

[quote name='Ag_SurfR']i normally do as many side quests as i can find and i still don't play it for anywhere near as long as other people do. i don't know where they get over 100+ hours of gameplay.[/QUOTE]

I got over 98 hours w/ Skyrim. Still ain't really touched the Main Quest.

Let's not even get into the number of 130+ hours I spent each w/ Morrowind GOTY and Oblivion GOTY Deluxe...

I don't think the ES games are those games you should OBSESSIVELY play with until you finish them. It's really a game - b/c they are so big in scope, size, have so many quests, and have many long side-quest lines - you just play them here and there. ES series are those games I always eventually wind back to.

I think w/ those Elder Scrolls' games, it's a series I can...
1. Spend spent some say anywhere from 10-30 hours with it for a good while of playing until I get my "fill";
2. Get away from it for amount of time to go play a bunch of other games;
3. I get my hankering back to play a ES game.
4. Head back to Step 1.

EDIT:
Most games these days that you buy that are NOT RPG's, they are in that 5-10 hour mark. If you play a lot of these - you'll get USED to that.
Not many non-RPG's hit that 15-20 hour mark anymore, honestly.
Many RPG's, they're in the over 20 hour mark - play a lot of these, you'll get USED to that length.
Eventually, we hit our "fill" for a game. Whatever your "fill" is, trust me - you will know it.
When you hit that "fill" for a ES game, MOVE ON.
They're too big - and when you come back, you'll likely be ready for MORE. It'll feel like you're playing an expansion, when you return... ;)

I feel cheap and dirty for doing this, but since no one has mentioned it here...

Apparently SlickDeals got some special sale deal with Origin. 60% off 85 games. SD thread is here.

Skimming through the list, nothing much excites me, though it is nice to see EA reverse direction and cheapen themselves. A lot of things have been a better price. I note they did match Amazon's $16 lowest price on KoA. I might pickup ProStreet for $4 just because I haven't seen it on sale individually (it's not on Steam) and I'm a sucker for racing games.

[quote name='asheskitty']I feel cheap and dirty for doing this, but since no one has mentioned it here...

Apparently SlickDeals got some special sale deal with Origin. 60% off 85 games. SD thread is here.

Skimming through the list, nothing much excites me, though it is nice to see EA reverse direction and cheapen themselves. A lot of things have been a better price. I note they did match Amazon's $16 lowest price on KoA. I might pickup ProStreet for $4 just because I haven't seen it on sale individually (it's not on Steam) and I'm a sucker for racing games.[/QUOTE]
Origin has been doing these "exclusive" sales with just about everyone.

[quote name='Mooby']
Exactly. It renders it borderline meaningless. Whereas if a developer takes the time to design a world where there are varying areas of tougher enemies, better loot, cooler places to explore, etc; it enhances the experience. "I wonder what was in that small fort I stumbled across when I was level 3 that I couldn't get in because the guards would destroy me?"[/QUOTE]

But you learn that they would destroy you by trying it and getting destroyed. No scaling leads to hypothetical play that didn't really happen because you reload after dying. Repeatedly reloading leads to meaningless play as well.

[quote name='Ag_SurfR']i normally do as many side quests as i can find and i still don't play it for anywhere near as long as other people do. i don't know where they get over 100+ hours of gameplay.[/QUOTE]
You have to sneak the whole time.:pray:

[quote name='MysterD']I think the reasoning of those buying a COD game, BF game, or any of those shooter games w/ numerous different components is "I intend to play the whole package - SP and MP."
Otherwise, you should probably wait for price-drops....
Me - I pretty much wait for price-drops on MOST games. :p[/QUOTE]

It's definitely just the multiplayer for the most part. Rarely have I seen people who switch to the new iteration ever touch the SP, I used to do both but now its really just for the MP.

Its weird hearing someone doesn't like competitive MP lol, CoD is all about the MP at the end of the day.

erequena - that sucks. what happens when you get suspended?

[quote name='warreni']Hm. Anybody know whether these can be readily loaded into Google Play Books? I haven't figured out how to (or whether it's possible to) sideload books into GP Books yet, which is part of what's holding me back from grabbing the Be Mine 5.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was thinking about that too, how to load/activate these eBooks. I use the Kobo app but idk how it would work with external eBooks.

[quote name='MC Kage']It's definitely just the multiplayer for the most part. Rarely have I seen people who switch to the new iteration ever touch the SP, I used to do both but now its really just for the MP.

Its weird hearing someone doesn't like competitive MP lol, CoD is all about the MP at the end of the day.

erequena - that sucks. what happens when you get suspended?[/QUOTE]

Heh, I guess I'm one of those rare people. I've lost interest in MP. The last two multiplayer shooters I've played were MW2 (which I stopped playing after eaching max level,) and Bad Company 2 (which I'll return to and finish the last few trophies on PS3.)

MP is just too much of a grind for me now, and frankly I'm just not willing to put the time in anymore. I have had Black Ops on my shelf for a year and have yet to play any of it, although I will probably do online for the zombies mode / trophies. Got MW3 a couple months ago and started playing the campaign, but don't see myself doing multiplayer.

The last four shooters I've played and completed (Homefront, Goldeneye 007, Binary Domain, and Halo Anniversary,) I enjoyed alot without touching MP. I agree that CoD is definitely more MP oriented than them (except maybe Halo,) but I actually enjoy CoD's story and single player. It's not great by any means, but enjoyable. The Special missions in MW2 were pretty fun too.

It might also just be due to my backlog. I have hundreds of physical games and hundreds more digital (many of which are shooters) and just never see myself playing all of their MP's or willing to put that much time into them. Right now I'm just trying to play them (story/single-player), lol.

So Dishonored.

I think I can sum up my Dishonored experience with I used my magic to see through walls to see a guy taking a piss, so I walked up to him, shanked him, and his body disintegrated.

Yeah, I love this game.

[quote name='Mooby']My big problem with games like Oblivion is that they ultimately devolve into E-LARP simulators. There's basically no challenge or limiting circumstances. No choice and consequence, no mutually exclusive character development, etc.[/QUOTE]

Isn't this nothing more than a huge, unjustified generalization? Skyrim is the next game in the series, and I can think of tons of choice and consequence decisions. You can choose to remain a werewolf or turn back into a human, you can choose to be a Stormcloak or an Imperial, you can choose which race you want to be, you can choose a wife, you can choose where to live, and you can choose what to put in your house. I honestly don't think there's much you can't choose. Dragons can randomly appear to fight your battles for you or to kill villagers that would have given you optional side quests. It also has plenty of limits, most prominently with finishing the main quest. And with respect to Oblivion, I haven't beaten it yet, but I definitely chose to live underground and ended up a full vampire which impeded my progress in the main story. The leveling mechanic provides plenty of challenge, too; it prevents you from cheaply raising a particular skill while neglecting others, because you will get slaughtered. Go ahead and raise your Alteration and Smithing to 100, leave everything else at 15, and fight a giant with a dagger if you disagree.

If you're doing shit like restarting every five minutes to get the best armor, using mods to beat the game faster, or using the Ogma Infinium glitch to max everything out, then you haven't even played the game correctly. Almost every game is easy when you cheat, or after you beat the main story. I don't see how you can possibly criticize those aspects of any ES game when the series is celebrated primarily for those reasons. I would consider Guild Wars 2 similar to Oblivion. That game has everything you mentioned.

[quote name='louiedog']And they seem to have trouble breeding.[/QUOTE]

Would you want to have sex with a woman who looked exactly like you? :lol:

[quote name='asheskitty']Skimming through the list, nothing much excites me, though it is nice to see EA reverse direction and cheapen themselves.[/QUOTE]
Most of it looks "overpriced", compared with other regular sales. A lot of $8 price tags on games that hit $4.99 on a regular basis (Mass Effect 1 & 2, Alice: MR, Mirror's Edge, DA: O, The Saboteur, etc).

$12 for Alice: MR, Origin? Really?

[quote name='Jokerkun890']Heh, I guess I'm one of those rare people. I've lost interest in MP. The last two multiplayer shooters I've played were MW2 (which I stopped playing after eaching max level,) and Bad Company 2 (which I'll return to and finish the last few trophies on PS3.)

MP is just too much of a grind for me now, and frankly I'm just not willing to put the time in anymore. I have had Black Ops on my shelf for a year and have yet to play any of it, although I will probably do online for the zombies mode / trophies. Got MW3 a couple months ago and started playing the campaign, but don't see myself doing multiplayer.

The last four shooters I've played and completed (Homefront, Goldeneye 007, Binary Domain, and Halo Anniversary,) I enjoyed alot without touching MP. I agree that CoD is definitely more MP oriented than them (except maybe Halo,) but I actually enjoy CoD's story and single player. It's not great by any means, but enjoyable. The Special missions in MW2 were pretty fun too.

It might also just be due to my backlog. I have hundreds of physical games and hundreds more digital (many of which are shooters) and just never see myself playing all of their MP's or willing to put that much time into them. Right now I'm just trying to play them (story/single-player), lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I see what you mean. MP is a grind but that's all the replay value and incentive for alot of people. Imo most people who get it just stick with that and play MP, they don't really play that many other games, especially console gamers, buy the new CoD, call it a day (no pun intended). Linear, simple, fun. People dabble in Spec Ops too but its not a selling point really, I'm sure most people would tell you they don't get CoD for SP is all lol. Like you said you have a ton of other games you could play (which is great), people buy the next CoD every year because everyone virtually 'moves on' to the next one and this might be their only purchase of the year outside of a few games. My generation I guess (smh), don't look into what other games to buy, just get the next CoD 'cause everyone will be on that friends included. but that's been the formula for the last couple of iterations the past few years.

Also, Black Ops might be my favorite CoD to date. I know alot of people hate it, but imo its so much better than MW's clunky feel to me. Black Ops was cartoon-ish in graphics but it was smooth and the MP was more balanced, maps were better and respawns a tiny but better, some may say MP was boring but it was alot more based on actually getting kills with your gun rather than only killstreaks. Loved most of the guns and everything, tho some are cheese its better than no recoil like MW games. Gettin' together with a few friends and playing Zombies is insanely fun as well. So I guess I just like Treyarch. Looking forward to BO2 (MW3 is just...pretty much a direct port from MW2).

[quote name='Blade']If you're doing shit like restarting every five minutes to get the best armor, using mods to beat the game faster, or using the Ogma Infinium glitch to max everything out, then you haven't even played the game correctly. Almost every game is easy when you cheat, or after you beat the main story.[/QUOTE]
Oblivion wasn't that hard. I pretty much walked through it at the default difficulty with one exception: the first Gate battle where you get swarmed with a bajillion Daedra and your NPC companions prove worthless. After the fact, I was told that gets harder the longer you wait and I did mess around quite a while before doing it. Aside from that, I went with your typical sword & board fighter with some healing magic. Once I started enchanting and spell researching, the game became laughably easy. I never cheated or used mods or glitches.

When I played Skyrim, I went with a pure mage character just for something different. Only wore robes and my only melee weapon was a dagger with a soul trap enchantment on it. I still rolled through at the default setting. I'm not complaining about it and obviously I could have jacked up the difficulty but my point is that you don't need to cheat, hack, mod, glitch etc to find a game pretty easy.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Oblivion wasn't that hard. I pretty much walked through it at the default difficulty with one exception: the first Gate battle where you get swarmed with a bajillion Daedra and your NPC companions prove worthless. After the fact, I was told that gets harder the longer you wait and I did mess around quite a while before doing it. Aside from that, I went with your typical sword & board fighter with some healing magic. Once I started enchanting, the game became laughably easy. I never cheated or used mods or glitches.

When I played Skyrim, I went with a pure mage character just for something different. Only wore robes and my only melee weapon was a dagger with a soul trap enchantment on it. I still rolled through at the default setting. I'm not complaining about it and obviously I could have jacked up the difficulty but my point is that you don't need to cheat, hack, mod, glitch etc to find a game pretty easy.[/QUOTE]
How does that work?

I honestly didn't know what the hell I was doing most of the time in Oblivion.

It's been a while but I think you wind up fighting different mobs with more powerful abilities once you hit a certain level. Instead of swarms of Stunted Scamps and Clannfear Runts, you're fighting hordes of Atronachs and Daedroth.

Anyone who criticizes either Borderlands as a boring game is completely wrong, and if you didn't enjoy it, you must have been playing it wrong.

Just wanted to throw out that non-substantive comment.

I grew up on RPGs, but when I was introduced to Steam, I started playing too many MP FPSs, and have forgotten what I looked for in them. Probably escapism and immersion, which I think I found plenty of in Morrowind, but was interrupted by a hard drive crash. Baldur's Gate 2 has been atop my backlog since I preordered the Collector's Edition, and it sits there because of my overwhelming dread that it can now never possibly fulfill my overinflated expectations of what I've heard people call one of the best cRPGs ever.

I'm trying to play Skyrim as I would as a person experiencing these things not as a game. So while the gamer in me wants to run off exploring so I know I'm not missing anything just over that hill and the next one, I'm trying to make decisions that make more sense given the game's world and events.

[quote name='Syntax Error']It's been a while but I think you wind up fighting different mobs with more powerful abilities once you hit a certain level. Instead of swarms of Stunted Scamps and Clannfear Runts, you're fighting hordes of Atronachs and Daedroth.[/QUOTE]

I found the game to be a cake walk until late 20s and then by 30 or maybe a little higher it became a cake walk again.

[quote name='MC Kage']How does that work?

I honestly didn't know what the hell I was doing most of the time in Oblivion.[/QUOTE]

On Oblivion all enemies level up with you, so when you open the gates the Daedra you encounter will depend on your level. If you go for the side quests first you'll be at quite a high level, making the closing of the gates pretty hard (I learned it the hard way, I only took on the main quest after doing everything else interesting there was to do - i.e. I opened my first gate after 125 hours of gameplay). The problem is it isn't "fun" difficulty, but "cheap" imo.

Anyway, if you're thinking on playing, start with the main quest and then work on the side quest (even many of the side quests provide some pretty cool items, they're really not necessary if you do the main quest while your level is low)

Basically that's the main reason that makes me prefer Morrowind over Oblivion, on Morrowind the NPC levels vary only by 5 or so from a base level, so if you're level one and you stumble on a cave with a level 20 bandit, he's going to murder you easily, but if you come back at level 40 you're going to wipe the floor with him. The whole auto-scaling thing makes the game feel un-rewarding (i.e. that Crystal mail that you saved so much to purchase will be on every bandit in a couple of levels)

ok, that went a little bit longer that expected!

TLDR: Start with the main quest, then go for the side quests

[quote name='erequena']Basically that's the main reason that makes me prefer Morrowind over Oblivion, on Morrowind the NPC levels vary only by 5 or so from a base level, so if you're level one and you stumble on a cave with a level 20 bandit, he's going to murder you easily, but if you come back at level 40 you're going to wipe the floor with him. The whole auto-scaling thing makes the game feel un-rewarding (i.e. that Crystal mail that you saved so much to purchase will be on every bandit in a couple of levels)[/QUOTE]

I truly wish they wouldn't have brought auto-scaling enemies into the elder scrolls' games as well. I remember using the scrolls of insane jumping to launch myself over ghost gate at level one. It was great, but also suicide. And in case nobody knew this already... save the game whilst in air after using one of the scrolls and when you reload the game via your save your velocity becomes 0 and you will just fall straight down. If you are too high when you save the first time you might have to save again to land without taking fall damage. Best way to travel... ever.

Although Skyrim is a tad better than Oblivion. I mean messing with one of the giants at level one will most likely result in death. In Oblivion I wouldn't be surprised if you could essentially breeze through the game at level 1.

[quote name='MC Kage']Linear, simple, fun. People dabble in Spec Ops too but its not a selling point really, I'm sure most people would tell you they don't get CoD for SP is all lol.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, I agree. Just wanted to let you know I am one of the oddballs, lol. I'll always remember (the first) MW as one of my favorite gaming experiences though - mainly for the multiplayer. And much like you said, it was the only game I bought new and was playing.

It was actually the last (aside from Crysis last year) keyboard/mouse FPS I've played. After playing it a ton I got too much of a social life my last couple years of high school, and didn't pick up a gaming-capable PC until about a year and a half ago. Since then, I've been too busy collecting Steam games to actually play any, lol.

The only reason I even got back into gaming was because my mother-in-law bought me a PS3 for Christmas in 2010. Weird thing is, I was much better in MW's multiplayer than I ever was in MW2's. I'm an average-above average player on console, but was usually one of the top players on MW at the time (don't remember my nick though...) Now I'm horrible with kb/m and would get blown away, lol. :whistle2:#

[quote name='pROvIs']Interesting. Groupees already does ePub bundles.[/QUOTE]
ePubes :applause:

and also in memory of Motoki
picture.php

and I know posting deals is frowned upon but Nuuvem has Battlefield 2 Complete Collection for about $5.90.

And now, here's a dancing kitty.
funny-dancing-cat-o.gif

[quote name='Jokerkun890']Oh, I agree. Just wanted to let you know I am one of the oddballs, lol. I'll always remember (the first) MW as one of my favorite gaming experiences though - mainly for the multiplayer. And much like you said, it was the only game I bought new and was playing.

It was actually the last (aside from Crysis last year) keyboard/mouse FPS I've played. After playing it a ton I got too much of a social life my last couple years of high school, and didn't pick up a gaming-capable PC until about a year and a half ago. Since then, I've been too busy collecting Steam games to actually play any, lol.

The only reason I even got back into gaming was because my mother-in-law bought me a PS3 for Christmas in 2010. Weird thing is, I was much better in MW's multiplayer than I ever was in MW2's. I'm an average-above average player on console, but was usually one of the top players on MW at the time (don't remember my nick though...) Now I'm horrible with kb/m and would get blown away, lol. :whistle2:#
[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think MP has been ruining FPS. A lot of them nowadays seem focused on MP and just some quick and thoughtless SP campaign. I guess I still remember stuff like the original COD games and Medal of Honor games where I thought the SP was stellar. I rarely play MP. Just not very good and don't really care about stats or stuff like that. I do like co-op but that isn't a focus of these games either.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Personally, I think MP has been ruining FPS. A lot of them nowadays seem focused on MP and just some quick and thoughtless SP campaign. I guess I still remember stuff like the original COD games and Medal of Honor games where I thought the SP was stellar. I rarely play MP. Just not very good and don't really care about stats or stuff like that. I do like co-op but that isn't a focus of these games either.[/QUOTE]

I think that only holds true for the modern military shooter.

I'd argue that pretty much any shooter that drifts outside of that framework still puts most effort into single-player.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Personally, I think MP has been ruining FPS. A lot of them nowadays seem focused on MP and just some quick and thoughtless SP campaign. I guess I still remember stuff like the original COD games and Medal of Honor games where I thought the SP was stellar. I rarely play MP. Just not very good and don't really care about stats or stuff like that. I do like co-op but that isn't a focus of these games either.[/QUOTE]

That irks me too. I'm not a fan of co-op though, mainly because I don't know many people to play with. :whistle2:#

By the by, the new class (Mechromancer) is live in BL2 already. A week ahead of schedule... I guess Gearbox isn't on Valve time yet.

[quote name='dfg']By the by, the new class (Mechromancer) is live in BL2 already. A week ahead of schedule... I guess Gearbox isn't on Valve time yet.[/QUOTE]

I've got the class to level 12, and I am really enjoying it. You can do some really cool and really different builds with this class.

[quote name='Jokerkun890']Oh, I agree. Just wanted to let you know I am one of the oddballs, lol. I'll always remember (the first) MW as one of my favorite gaming experiences though - mainly for the multiplayer. And much like you said, it was the only game I bought new and was playing.

[/QUOTE]
Word. & damn that's almost exactly like me bruh lol. I had a 360 for a while but it broke 4x, so I stopped gaming for about 2 years. I had to upgrade my laptop for school and I got a decent high-end one pretty much meant for gaming but not my intended purposes. I don't plan on getting a console again and I've been using my roommates PS3 for a year but honestly its just not as good as an Xbox. Wanted my own games so was like why not try PC, cheap and I can run games now. I'm decent at CoD MP, not good on PC either but hell I'm using a 360 controller still haha. Easier on consoles by far but I'm about the same when using a controller since I still am. MW2/3 is BS anyways, I'm better on BO.

erequena - interesting on Morrowind since I never played it. I spent a fair amount of time tho on Oblivion doing like you said, but primarily just screwing around doing side missions lol. The main quest was just...eh.

[quote name='dfg']By the by, the new class (Mechromancer) is live in BL2 already. A week ahead of schedule... I guess Gearbox isn't on Valve time yet.[/QUOTE]
Ok so that explains the half a gig update I got in BL2 yesterday. Cool to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back