The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mooby']Nooooooooooo where will I get my Briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink?!?! But seriously, I'll buy someone something for a bucko off of Amazon for a Brink key just to satisfy morbid curiosity.[/QUOTE]

Mooby if GG handles there end of the bargain and lets me redeem my brink key, I'll give it to you for free.

I can't be too greedy, I already have rouge warrior.

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']Mooby if GG handles there end of the bargain and lets me redeem my brink key, I'll give it to you for free.

I can't be too greedy, I already have rouge warrior.[/QUOTE]

You're all heart! As such I have to warn you NOT to play Rogue Warrior. I am deeply concerned for your mental well being!

[quote name='Frithsblessing']People were speculating that GG was going to revoke keys? I have not seen that. That seems extreme. Seems like the worst case is they will not deliver some keys.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, there's been some talk about the possibility over in the GG thread. I don't view it as terribly likely. But I think there is at least a chance that it could happen.

In any event, I didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to get back to buyers to issue refunds to them in the unlikely event that the keys do get revoked. At the moment, I only have to contact 2 people about it. That's do-able. If I had somehow managed to sell off the rest of the keys, I'd be looking at 6 or 7 people. That's just a headache.

After selling a second bundle and my Skyrim key from my bundle, it has only cost me about $5 for my bundle. That's cheap enough for me.

[quote name='Frithsblessing']People were speculating that GG was going to revoke keys? I have not seen that. That seems extreme. Seems like the worst case is they will not deliver some keys.[/QUOTE]

Well for me it was this part

"We are working with the affected publishers to see what we can do with respect to partially filled orders."

I mean why the hell would they be going to the publisher unless it was to either revoke keys (Oh hey look we refunded people so reset the keys so we can resell them again please) or to beg for money or a break or a deal to be cut, in which case, well good luck with asking that when it was their mistake.

[quote name='Mooby']And, yeah, it's just speculation. Not that it isn't possible but can you imagine the poop storm that will arise if people get legitimately purchased Steam keys yanked?
[/QUOTE]

Of course. And I agree with what you said in the other thread that Bethesda and Valve are probably not going to go there because that's going to bring to light much larger issues of rights and ownership of digital media that are mostly ignored now because it's buried in some TOSes that no one reads.

The thing is though I personally can say without hesitation that I think Gamersgate is stupid and desperate enough at this point to try and open that can of worms anyway. They probably won't succeed but if they've got a lot of money riding on it they may damn well try their best.

*Disclaimer: This is just the speculation of a random guy on the internet and no more right or wrong than the speculation of any other random guy on the internet so let's not get all bent out of shape over it please. (and this is a general statement not directed at any specific person)

[quote name='Mooby']You're all heart! As such I have to warn you NOT to play Rogue Warrior. I am deeply concerned for your mental well being![/QUOTE]

He said rouge warrior. Instead of slitting throats you sneak behind guys then hit them with a surprise swoosh of the makeup brush. Rosy cheeks FTW!

[quote name='Syntax Error']So, with all this GG Borderlands hubbabub, I should mention that I never did get around to playing BL1. I have both installed and ready to fire up -- should I start with One and move on to Two or just plunge ahead into Two?[/QUOTE]

Play BL1 first. You'll appreciate the call-backs and recurring characters much more when playing 2. I'd do it this way:

- Take story missions as long as you are appropriately leveled (listed as Tough or Normal)
- Take only side missions that look interesting to you (it is possible to over-level making the difficulty Trivial)
- Around level 30 (you should be near the end of the main story or close) switch to Zombie Island
- Around level 40 try getting into Knoxx (my favorite)
- Finish up with Claptrap DLC
- Try out Playthrough 2 a bit to appreciate how much tougher the enemies can be. You'll want to rush right to P2 for any subsequent characters you build.

Lillith is probably the most powerful and easiest to solo. Roland is not bad either.

[quote name='Motoki']
The thing is though I personally can say without hesitation that I think Gamersgate is stupid and desperate enough at this point to try and open that can of worms anyway. They probably won't succeed but if they've got a lot of money riding on it they may damn well try their best.
[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't entirely surprise me.

[quote name='The End']By the time I saw your offer, I had already bought a copy from another CAG for $3. The extra $0.81 wont kill me, but I definitely would have bought from you or ermwiz (or whatever his name is) instead, if I had the chance.[/QUOTE]
That was more of a jab at how they'll probably manage to sell more at $3ea than I passed on at cost (or whatever people sent to me.)

[quote name='The End']What exactly could happen to you if you buy games from somebody who is using a VPN to get games cheaper from another region, and then that person gets caught by steam?[/QUOTE]

Ahem...

Anybody know?

[quote name='hal']Play BL1 first. You'll appreciate the call-backs and recurring characters much more when playing 2. I'd do it this way:

- Take story missions as long as you are appropriately leveled (listed as Tough or Normal)
- Take only side missions that look interesting to you (it is possible to over-level making the difficulty Trivial)
- Around level 30 (you should be near the end of the main story or close) switch to Zombie Island
- Try out Playthrough 2 a bit to appreciate how much tougher the enemies can be. You'll want to rush right to P2 for any subsequent characters you build.

Lillith is probably the most powerful and easiest to solo. Roland is not bad either.[/QUOTE]
Sounds good. Appreciate the insight.

Am I reading this correctly- there might be a way for them to revoke redeemed keys? That would be insanity. I'd show up at GG door with a burning pitchfork.

I'm already playing the game- How could they take a game I'm already playing?

[quote name='hal']Lillith is probably the most powerful and easiest to solo. Roland is not bad either.[/QUOTE]

I like hal's advice (again) and will add that the soldier character (Roland in 1 and Axton in 2) are not very different. I played BL1 with 2 of the 4 characters and BL2 with essentially the other 2 of the 4/5. If that doesn't make enough sense I can try to explain it better off-thread.

Also, apologies for whipping out the grammar jackboots, but raise/raised/raised and not rise/rose/risen.

[quote name='asheskitty']For anyone who recently bought Borderlands 2, these two pages (below) have a list of the currently active shift keys. I doubled checked they are identical listings though the orcz has more details. All of these activated for me fine this evening. 24 Golden keys now, iirc.

http://orcz.com/Borderlands_2:_Golden_Key#Latest_Shift_Codes

Also, it would be nice to include your Country/Region when you're discussing regional pricing.[/QUOTE]

I use the Orcz one

[quote name='The End']Ahem...

Anybody know?[/QUOTE]
Assuming the keys don't require any trickery to activate (VPN, etc) I think you'd be okay. I personally wouldn't bother risking it just in case but I know there's some with very different opinions and who would scoff at my caution.

EDIT: Nope, right place. Phew!

[quote name='Motoki']Well for me it was this part

"We are working with the affected publishers to see what we can do with respect to partially filled orders."

I mean why the hell would they be going to the publisher unless it was to either revoke keys (Oh hey look we refunded people so reset the keys so we can resell them again please) or to beg for money or a break or a deal to be cut, in which case, well good luck with asking that when it was their mistake.

*Disclaimer: This is just the speculation of a random guy on the internet and no more right or wrong than the speculation of any other random guy on the internet so let's not get all bent out of shape over it please. (and this is a general statement not directed at any specific person)[/QUOTE]

What I'm speculating is going on is (a) they refunded all the people that they did not give serials, (b) are trying to convince Bethesda and 2K to give them serials for the partials, and if not (c) refund, partial refund, or maybe ignore the partials.

They might love to revoke all the serials, issue refunds, and be done with the mess but there are two concerns possibly holding them back. (1) the collateral damage - all the people on other sides of trades who didn't know the keys' history might get revoked and not reimbursed, causing them to blame GG and (2) Valve or Bethesda is not letting GG do a mass revocation because of the circumstances, rules governing when a key may be revoked (that we would never know of), contractual obligations, etc.

But the worst possible interpretation is that they're strapped for cash or going out of business and running out the clock for people to issue payment disputes. They will never pay Bethesda/2K what they owe and the pubs in turn will revoke the keys. GG pockets the cash, sets up shop under a new name/corporate entity, and the dirty gamers get nothing. This is worst case scenario and very unlikely. Plus Bethesda or Valve might be pressured to reinstate the keys.

***Disclaimer: This is pure speculation as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Frithsblessing']Am I reading this correctly- there might be a way for them to revoke redeemed keys? That would be insanity. I'd show up at GG door with a burning pitchfork.

I'm already playing the game- How could they take a game I'm already playing?[/QUOTE]

Well, Valve can revoke any of your game 'licenses' at any time. So, it's definitely possible.

[quote name='The End']What exactly could happen to you if you buy games from somebody who is using a VPN to get games cheaper from another region, and that person gets caught?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='The End']Ahem...

Anybody know?[/QUOTE]

Well let's see, ahem, your friend could get a warning, could get their game(s) from said scheisty trader revoked, could get their account frozen from buying or nothing at all could happen.

Probably the latter but I have heard of all of those things happening and of course this is second hand info because my, ahem, friend has not been involved in such things.

TL;DR Anything could happen but probably nothing.

Your friend should be more careful who they deal with in the future however.

Do I remember reading someone saying Left 4 Dead 2 now has all the L4D1 maps and characters, so there is no point of buying both??

I have wanted a L4D for a while now

[quote name='Frithsblessing']Am I reading this correctly- there might be a way for them to revoke redeemed keys? That would be insanity. I'd show up at GG door with a burning pitchfork.

I'm already playing the game- How could they take a game I'm already playing?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the SSA outlines any instance where one's games could be removed / restricted / etc. Like most, I've been too lazy to read through the whole thing. License vs. ownership, and whatnot.

What was the situation with that guy who posted here before the sale started, with his account being locked? Was a result of trading with someone who was skirting regions, yes? Or was it cc fraud?

[quote name='cigaro']Do I remember reading someone saying Left 4 Dead 2 now has all the L4D1 maps and characters, so there is no point of buying both?? [/QUOTE]

Essentially yes. You won't be missing much by skipping 1.

I sincerely doubt that activated GG keys are going to be revoked. That would require Valve getting involved in the mess, and they don't stand to gain anything by removing from users' accounts games that were purchased legitimately. I'd expect Valve to stay out of the crossfire.

All that quote tells us is something that we already know, that they're talking with the publisher. Just as it says when you try to retrieve one of the keys, they don't have any at present and need to refresh their supply from the publisher. It's possible they won't be able to get us those keys, or not soon, or not in a way that they don't take the full hit for the monetary loss. That's understandable.

It may be a very long time before we see our keys, or we might see some kind of structured refund method put into place. GG doesn't have a lot of options, and none of those options look good on their end. But revoking used keys simply isn't on the map.

[quote name='Motoki']Well for me it was this part

[/QUOTE]

Well they didn't issue any refunds for me.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Assuming the keys don't require any trickery to activate (VPN, etc) I think you'd be okay. I personally wouldn't bother risking it just in case but I know there's some with very different opinions and who would scoff at my caution.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Motoki']Well let's see, ahem, your friend could get a warning, could get their game(s) from said scheisty trader revoked, could get their account frozen from buying or nothing at all could happen.

Probably the latter but I have heard of all of those things happening and of course this is second hand info because my, ahem, friend has not been involved in such things.

TL;DR Anything could happen but probably nothing.

Your friend should be more careful who they deal with in the future however.[/QUOTE]

Well it was Severose's post a few pages back about how he just bought a copy of Sims Medieval off of ManyT for $3 that got me wondering. ManyT & JakeNome are two sellers on the CAG Steam Group buy thread that seem to be able to sell games for below what they sell for in the NA region. I had pretty much decided that they must have some connection in eastern Europe that helps them get the keys. But then when I saw Severose post that ManyT also had Sims Medieval, it suddenly dawned on me that it was highly unlikely that he has a connection in both regions. He's using a VPN. So is JakeNome because he was also offering Sims Medieval.

I've never bought from ManyT, so I couldn't care less if he gets caught. But I've bought several things from JakeNome. Including several Publisher catalogs. Now I'm starting to worry that those might disappear from my inventory.

[quote name='DPsycho']I sincerely doubt that activated GG keys are going to be revoked. That would require Valve getting involved in the mess, and they don't stand to gain anything by removing from users' accounts games that were purchased legitimately. I'd expect Valve to stay out of the crossfire.

All that quote tells us is something that we already know, that they're talking with the publisher. Just as it says when you try to retrieve one of the keys, they don't have any at present and need to refresh their supply from the publisher. It's possible they won't be able to get us those keys, or not soon, or not in a way that they don't take the full hit for the monetary loss. That's understandable.

It may be a very long time before we see our keys, or we might see some kind of structured refund method put into place. GG doesn't have a lot of options, and none of those options look good on their end. But revoking used keys simply isn't on the map.[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right. I dunno, I'm hearing all kinds of things about who can revoke, how, whether Valve is involved, etc.

I guess my concern is let's say a Nigerian customer "pays" for a key using paypal funds that eventually get reversed back. Does GG have to go to Valve, Bethesda, or can they do the key revocation themselves? It would be helpful if someone with better knowledge could chime in and share your wisdom.

[quote name='DPsycho']I sincerely doubt that activated GG keys are going to be revoked. That would require Valve getting involved in the mess, and they don't stand to gain anything by removing games that were purchased legitimately from users' accounts. I'd expect Valve to stay out of the crossfire.

It may be a very long time before we see our keys, or we might see some kind of structured refund method put into place. GG doesn't have a lot of options, and none of those options look good on their end. But revoking used keys simply isn't on the map.[/QUOTE]

If it takes Valves involvement to revoke redeemed keys I doubt we have much to fear. Doesn't make sense for Valve to take a negative PR hit for GG mistake.

If GG doesn't deliver on the last four games I didn't redeem I'm okay with that. Out of Doom, Brink, Hunted, and RW I was only going to keep RW. I wasn't even going to keep that until I saw the video posted in this thread, so I will not be too disappointed if that key isn't delivered.

[quote name='Idiotekque']JakeNome is in the Ukraine, if anyone is wondering.[/QUOTE]

How do you know? He told me that he is in the US.

[quote name='DPsycho']revoking used keys simply isn't on the map.[/QUOTE]

You don't know that.

It may not be the most likely outcome but I don't think it can be completely ruled at this point either. It's within the realm of possibility and if they can convince Bethesda to do it, it might happen.

It's a longshot but they are probably in a position right now where they need to try for longshots.

*Edit: Oh and in reading various accounts of the Deep Silver Dead Island key revoking incident, there are claims that Deep Silver themselves did the revoking of the keys and Valve was not even directly involved. I don't know that I can find a direct source from Deep Silver for this but it stands to reason that a publisher controls the keys to their own games on or off of Steam.

[quote name='Idiotekque']JakeNome is in the Ukraine, if anyone is wondering.[/QUOTE]

I've always wondered how he got so many cheap games; now we know. NA Region games for me.

[quote name='The End']How do you know? He told me that he is in the US.[/QUOTE]

He's in the US and has a Ukraine contact, which is why he asks for a lead time on some of the more niche games or games that are short term deals.

[quote name='Genocidal']He's in the US and has a Ukraine contact, which is why he asks for a lead time on some of the more niche games or games that are short term deals.[/QUOTE]

tumblr_m61eriNf0y1ryn50xo1_500.png

[quote name='Genocidal']He's in the US and has a Ukraine contact, which is why he asks for a lead time on some of the more niche games or games that are short term deals.[/QUOTE]

A 'contact' sounds like a guy on the corner selling watches out of an overcoat.

I've heard talk of him being in another country, but the modus operandi of many Steam resellers is to use a dummy account on a VPN to purchase from foreign countries and trade over to your main account. One can never be sure of how gift copies were obtained.

I dont use VPN guys! XD
anyone who asks me, I tell em straight up that I have a real physical Ukrainian contact who supplies me.

edit: Im in US :whee:

[quote name='JakeNome']I dont use VPN guys! XD
anyone who asks me, I tell em straight up that I have a real physical Ukrainian contact who supplies me.[/QUOTE]
27913572.jpg

[quote name='Frithsblessing']I just read in the steam group buy/trade thread that GG might not fulfill the rest of the Bethesda package. Damn it, I want my Rogue Warrior and Brink keys![/QUOTE]

>.> I'm "one of those CAGs" who activated every game from the Beth pack I didn't already own.

Last night I just completed Hunted: The Demon's Forge in co-op. Yeah, Beth pack and that's the first game I complete. >.> It's not a bad game, although I've only experienced it in co-op. Standard hack-n-slash affair. It really is balanced around melee & ranged toons, in single player you can swap at points, but I think the balance might be rough with an AI partner. I'm showing 23 steam hours.

[quote name='Syntax Error']So, with all this GG Borderlands hubbabub, I should mention that I never did get around to playing BL1. I have both installed and ready to fire up -- should I start with One and move on to Two or just plunge ahead into Two?

I did enter all my Shift codes from the earlier link (thanks!) just to appease my magpie DNA for collecting shiny things.[/QUOTE]

^_^ I felt a little left out, not being able to enter all those shift codes people used to post, now I don't feel too bad. =)

I played 128 steam hours of BL1 GOTY on my Siren. I'm only a teeny bit into BL2, and there's already a fair number of BL1 references. While I enjoyed the story in BL1, BL is "Diablo with guns." BL2 give you some little goodies if it sees a BL1 save file.

If you're playing BL1, I stronly recommend using WillowTree. It is a save file editor. I used it a lot to reduce my level (I regularly overleveled from sidequests) and sometime reset quests. Most of the documentation you will see is on building custom gun, but don't let that scare you off from some practical aspects of it.

[quote name='MC Kage']Where you lift up Claptrap? I seem to die a lot in BL2 lol.

Same with me, tho I just started playing both games. Pretty new to BL.[/QUOTE]

I'll set you know when I get back in. I didn't make it to the elevator yet. I died once on the way -- getting overzealous on my part, and having one of my two guns equipped being bad for the situation, and the other ran out of ammo quickly.

[quote name='Genocidal']http://dxtory.com/v2-home-en.html A little late, but one of the better video capture programs; of course the nature of the program makes them all take a decent amount of resources. Also heard good things about this one, but don't know anyone who's used it: http://obsproject.com/index[/QUOTE]

I would note in professional applications video is usually captured by video capture hardware (with a splitter in front).

[quote name='dfg']That's some dedication.
There's enough tie-in to the original in the sequel that if you find yourself enjoying its brand of humor, you might regret skipping ahead. Conversely, the original 4 characters themselves are fleshed out more in 2 than 1.

Further advice: if you like taking it slow and soaking it in, play solo, and then find people to play with on a subsequent playthrough. If you just care about blasting shit and snagging loot, you can enjoy yourself in a group from the start.
[/QUOTE]

He did the full list for the Summer Sale as well, if you want to look back.

[quote name='hal']Play BL1 first. You'll appreciate the call-backs and recurring characters much more when playing 2. I'd do it this way:

Lillith is probably the most powerful and easiest to solo. Roland is not bad either.[/QUOTE]

I concur. I also feel that after a little bit, one could use WillowTree and just skip to the start of the second playthough.

[quote name='JakeNome']I dont use VPN guys! XD
anyone who asks me, I tell em straight up that I have a real physical Ukrainian contact who supplies me.

edit: Im in US :whee:[/QUOTE]

Boy am I glad to hear that. Thanks for clearing that up.

And it was nothing personal. Just trying to make sure I'm OK with my purchases.

[quote name='Idiotekque']
32603087.jpg
[/QUOTE]

lol

He has a connection in the region, the Idiotekque is a lie.

[quote name='JakeNome']I should add a FAQ in a spoiler at the bottom of my sale posts
too lazy though[/QUOTE]

I am not a crook!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back