The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Junpei']Well, they did slap all indie games they could think of into the Indie Super Mega Pack and called it a day apparently... to be honest, it IS a nice selection of games and quite the bargain indeed if you have been living under a rock and activated a new Steam account just yesterday...

Its price could even be justified if they gave you all games as single keys or let you keep the ones you already have as giftable items, but that has never been the case with all the other Steam bundles and this one unfortunately seems no different. It could be interesting to know if and how many copies they sold...[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I just can't see anyone shelling out $70 on indie games in one go. It's like going to McDonalds and buying 70 burgers off the dollar menu, for yourself.

[quote name='Kablasia']does anyone know how the community of left 4 dead 2 is?[/QUOTE]

God help you if you are not 100% perfect in your first game of Versus.

[quote name='pantsattack']There's no hidden dlc it's the base game and liberty city stories. If you have both there's nothing more of IV to get.[/QUOTE]

thanks, so i guess i didnt have liberty city stories, that pack is amazing gta 3 gives me good memories

[quote name='Fluxy']im trying to buy the gta4 pack but im not sure if i have gta 4 complete edition or vanilla.[/QUOTE]

Have a look in your steam games library, if you have complete you'll have two separate entries, one for "Grand Theft Auto IV" and another for "Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City".

[quote name='nastyislegend']Anyone know if this bundle is Steam activated?[/QUOTE]

I'm not quite sure; it says "DRM: Keycode Activation" but I'm used to seeing explicit steam labeling (or drm-free).

Edit: Well, it's not on Desura or Origin, so I'm not sure where it could activate other than steam.

With this talk about King's Bounty, if you bought the $20 1C pack from Gamersgate that time ago, you also own the whole franchise. I don't believe it is steamable though.

[quote name='asheskitty']I disagree. I just can't see anyone shelling out $70 on indie games in one go. It's like going to McDonalds and buying 70 burgers off the dollar menu, for yourself.[/QUOTE]

gabe_burger.jpg

[quote name='asheskitty']I disagree. I just can't see anyone shelling out $70 on indie games in one go. It's like going to McDonalds and buying 70 burgers off the dollar menu, for yourself.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on that. I mean that it IS a favorable bundle from a pure value-for-money standpoint, since they're all quality games held in high consideration by public and critics, and they're offered at a price that is less than half of their already discounted price.

But, as you said, there's almost no chance of someone willing to pay the bundle's price without at least the option to sell back gift away or split with someone else part of its games...

[quote name='silverrat23']I already have Saints Row the Third with DLC, but if I buy the full package, will the base game be giftable? What about the DLC?[/QUOTE]

no

[quote name='MC Kage']GTA Franchise pack, COME TO ME.

& for those hatin' on GTA IV or have doubts about it, Story-wise, the game is my favorite. You basically live through a more progressive and elaborate version of a Russian Scarface life. American dream theme as usual, but the more you play it the more you'll get into it. It's definitely not as fun as San Andreas in terms of what your able to do or easter eggs, but it does a good job of incorporating the main story missions into the open-world so you end up exploring alot of it and finding fun shit to do.
[/QUOTE]

Having played 3, 4, TLaD, VC, and a bit of VC Stories, I can say that VC is my favorite, but IV and TLaD are the only ones I finished. There *is* a pretty good story in IV, and the characters are a bit more than your typical stereotype. That kept me wanting to see how it all wrapped up. However, the main arc of IV lost all credibility about 1/2 - 2/3rds of the way in. There is a *GREAT* mission "Three Leaf Clover"
aka the bank robbery scene from Heat
and at the conclusion of that mission, Niko loses all motivation for being in "the life", but the story pretends that he still needs to be this unwilling bad guy. No, after that mission, Niko should either leave "the life" or he's a sociopath who actually likes the life.

But for anyone who has completely avoided IV and episodes, I'd highly suggest getting the Episodes. TLaD was almost perfect for GTA. It had a good story (woven with IV) but eliminated a lot of the padding the base game needed to be able to check the "Over 40 hours of Gameplay!" box. Side stuff is still there, but it's truely side stuff. It has practically zero impact on the story.

Gay Tony is supposed to bring out more of the "fun" that was in SA, but I havent played either so I cant comment further.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Indie Royale just annoys me, really. They get by by putting one interesting game in their bundles and slapping a $4+ price tag on them. They get so much praise and I have no idea why.

I always think Indie Gala sucks too, but then I realize I buy every single one of them and get like 8 games for $1.50 every time...[/QUOTE]

IR doesn't offer any bonus games like IG and HB do either so once you see it live you know your disappointment won't potentially improve.

[quote name='Palinn']IR doesn't offer any bonus games like IG and HB do either so once you see it live you know your disappointment won't potentially improve.[/QUOTE]
I thought they did, but in the form of some stupid hey here is a prototype for a game and you can't get it on Desura or Steam, just download.

I really have to wonder how much of these they are selling, especially in light of the various indie bundles. When Steam was doing those $5 5 game bundles or the slightly larger $10 bundles, they were very hard to pass up so long as there were a couple games in there I wanted. The other games were a bit of a gamble, but either way, I felt I was getting my money's worth - anything else was just a bonus.

This bundle, though, is doubtful to get past many people's impulsiveness check. Unless you really, really love indie games, $70 is just way too much for most people, and those that do really, really love indie games likely own a lot in that bundle making it even less than a deal. Personally speaking, I own more than half the games in it.

So any Russian CAGs out there or no? If I can get the X Superbox for nearly half price, that'd be just swell. I've debated on getting it for what seems like 3-4 Steam sales now.

[quote name='asheskitty']I'm not quite sure; it says "DRM: Keycode Activation" but I'm used to seeing explicit steam labeling (or drm-free).

Edit: Well, it's not on Desura or Origin, so I'm not sure where it could activate other than steam.[/QUOTE]
"Keycode activation" doesn't always mean that it activates on a platform like Steam or Origin. It could be DRM that requires a key, eg: Securom.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I thought they did, but in the form of some stupid hey here is a prototype for a game and you can't get it on Desura or Steam, just download.[/QUOTE]

You're right. They do give bonuses as I just looked at the last bundle on their site. My bad. And yes so are those bonuses. :lol:

[quote name='Kablasia']does anyone know how the community of left 4 dead 2 is?[/QUOTE]

I would provide the dissenting opinion. Although you can encounter griefers from time to time, I've played a lot of L4D2 with random folks and found it to be basically fine. If you want a crew to go through on expert realism mode, that might be tricky, but to just drop in and play for 15-45 minutes, it's usually great. As long as you stick to the group and watch each other's backs, you don't need to have the whole maze memorized or anything.

However, reading some of the other replies reminded me that modes exist besides co-op. I've played those almost never, and can recall being kicked from a game for completing the objective instead of helping a teammate, and for helping a teammate instead of completing the objective. That crew might need to calm down a bit.

Just about the worst thing you'll see in campaign mode is the guy who's desperately trying to be the team leader. And that can be pretty funny sometimes.

Speaking of killing zombies, PJRJX:bouncy:NKNRK:bouncy:J4B5Y

[quote name='hostyl1']Having played 3, 4, TLaD, VC, and a bit of VC Stories, I can say that VC is my favorite, but IV and TLaD are the only ones I finished. There *is* a pretty good story in IV, and the characters are a bit more than your typical stereotype. That kept me wanting to see how it all wrapped up. However, the main arc of IV lost all credibility about 1/2 - 2/3rds of the way in. There is a *GREAT* mission "Three Leaf Clover"
and at the conclusion of that mission, Niko loses all motivation for being in "the life", but the story pretends that he still needs to be this unwilling bad guy. No, after that mission, Niko should either leave "the life" or he's a sociopath who actually likes the life.

But for anyone who has completely avoided IV and episodes, I'd highly suggest getting the Episodes. TLaD was almost perfect for GTA. It had a good story (woven with IV) but eliminated a lot of the padding the base game needed to be able to check the "Over 40 hours of Gameplay!" box. Side stuff is still there, but it's truely side stuff. It has practically zero impact on the story.

Gay Tony is supposed to bring out more of the "fun" that was in SA, but I havent played either so I cant comment further.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed Gay Tony more than TLAD. Gay Tony was way more over the top and ultimately, more fun because of it. TLAD was good though. Both are better than IV. Hands down though, San Andreas takes the cake as the definitive GTA for me. Such an excellent game with a perfect environment and a fantastic cast of characters.

[quote name='Tsel']So any Russian CAGs out there or no? If I can get the X Superbox for nearly half price, that'd be just swell. I've debated on getting it for what seems like 3-4 Steam sales now.[/QUOTE]

I asked for a Russian bro a few weeks ago when SFxT was on sale (since they had it for less than $5)

No luck and my post was deleted because "garbage cleanup" or some shit like that so I don't think there are many Russians willing to help with out getting some kind of profit (and I don't really blame them, just speculating).

[quote name='Palinn']You're right. They do give bonuses as I just looked at the last bundle on their site. My bad. And yes so are those bonuses. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Indie Royale has never had any good bonuses. Indie Royale is in fact, very very hit or miss. Most of the time with the miss, and just having that one thing that you buy instead of at the holiday/summer sale just to up your Steam library with 3 other shitty games :lol:.

[quote name='hostyl1']Having played 3, 4, TLaD, VC, and a bit of VC Stories, I can say that VC is my favorite, but IV and TLaD are the only ones I finished. There *is* a pretty good story in IV, and the characters are a bit more than your typical stereotype. That kept me wanting to see how it all wrapped up. However, the main arc of IV lost all credibility about 1/2 - 2/3rds of the way in. There is a *GREAT* mission "Three Leaf Clover"

Gay Tony is supposed to bring out more of the "fun" that was in SA, but I havent played either so I cant comment further.[/QUOTE]

yeah packie's missions were insane. (and some of the most fun in the game)

So, I was feeling nostalgic over that last post and just bought San Andreas. It gave me two versions, both titled the same; one however says "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is no available on your current platform". Is that the Mac version I take it?

Also, did they ever get around to adding widescreen support?

[quote name='Tsel']So any Russian CAGs out there or no? If I can get the X Superbox for nearly half price, that'd be just swell. I've debated on getting it for what seems like 3-4 Steam sales now.[/QUOTE]
Shame you missed it on GamersGate awhile back. It was $7ish and came with DRM-free and Steam copies.

[quote name='SEH']So, I was feeling nostalgic over that last post and just bought San Andreas. It gave me two versions, both titled the same; one however says "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is no available on your current platform". Is that the Mac version I take it?

Also, did they ever get around to adding widescreen support?[/QUOTE]
Yessir, that's the Mac version. Makes you wish you could remove it from your library (if you aren't a Mac owner) some way other than via categories.

And I believe you'll need to mod it for widescreen support, if it isn't clearly apparent in the game. Just Google around.

[quote name='Arben']I would provide the dissenting opinion. Although you can encounter griefers from time to time, I've played a lot of L4D2 with random folks and found it to be basically fine. If you want a crew to go through on expert realism mode, that might be tricky, but to just drop in and play for 15-45 minutes, it's usually great. As long as you stick to the group and watch each other's backs, you don't need to have the whole maze memorized or anything.

However, reading some of the other replies reminded me that modes exist besides co-op. I've played those almost never, and can recall being kicked from a game for completing the objective instead of helping a teammate, and for helping a teammate instead of completing the objective. That crew might need to calm down a bit.

Just about the worst thing you'll see in campaign mode is the guy who's desperately trying to be the team leader. And that can be pretty funny sometimes.

Speaking of killing zombies, PJRJX:bouncy:NKNRK:bouncy:J4B5Y
[/QUOTE]

^^
My thoughts exactly. If you stick to Campaign on Normal, you'll have the best chance at having a good experience. Heck, you can even play Campaign on Easy online and then you'll definitely have a good experience unless you're in a group where it's everyone's first time playing the game.

Basically, if you want to play the PvP modes, then be ready to get a thick skin. I rarely play them, since it always seem like all the wannabe "pro gamers" play those types of game modes. However, if you're looking to do PvE, then most of the time you end up with folks who will be adequate for completing the maps. As I've said before, I've gotten more friends on Steam from playing random games of L4D2. Easily more than TF2 back when I used to play that. There are good folks out there, it's just the annoying/obnoxious ones tend to stand out a little more because of their behavior and lack of manners.

[quote name='KillingMachine']
gabe_burger.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I think we figured out the reason the steam sale ended for a moment xD

Also, the Mechromancer pack IS under Premiere Pack in BL2's DLC. Who's idea was that?

And as for the Russians - they're not selling as much due to steam cracking down on sellers just before the sale began.

---------

But now the hardest decision as a CAG has arrived... Which deal do I vote for - Trains, Warthog or Farming Sim? NO OTHER DECISION HAS EVER BEEN THIS HARD!!!

[quote name='mjontrix']I think we figured out the reason the steam sale ended for a moment xD

Also, the Mechromancer pack IS under Premiere Pack in BL2's DLC. Who's idea was that?

And as for the Russians - they're not selling as much due to steam cracking down on sellers just before the sale began.

---------

But now the hardest decision as a CAG has arrived... Which deal do I vote for - Trains, Warthog or Farming Sim? NO OTHER DECISION HAS EVER BEEN THIS HARD!!![/QUOTE]
I voted warthog, not because I want it but because it's the only one I could even see myself buying and playing.

[quote name='mjontrix']But now the hardest decision as a CAG has arrived... Which deal do I vote for - Trains, Warthog or Farming Sim? NO OTHER DECISION HAS EVER BEEN THIS HARD!!![/QUOTE]

As I said earlier, the choice has to be TRAINS! There's so much damn DLC for it, that there is at least the chance that one of them will be price glitched when the sale goes live. Apparently there was a DLC that normally sells for $40 that was 98% off for about 15 minutes the other day.

Probably wont happen again. But can you really resist the possibility of getting some train route in Luxemburg for only $0.80?

[quote name='dracula']yeah packie's missions were insane. (and some of the most fun in the game)[/QUOTE]

I agree Packie's missions were crazy! Three leaf clover is one of the best missions in any GTA game PERIOD! I pre-ordered GTA IV for :360: and picked it up at midnight. I don't regret the purchase cause I enjoyed the game and wanted to play it right away.

[quote name='sunasun'][/QUOTE]

LOL, I was wondering why a non-sale title would price glitch. Nice trollin' son, nice Trollin'. But not cool all the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sunasun']The Walking Dead only $2.49 on gamersgate!!!!!!!
Go now!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Umm... not it's not... Maybe they just fixed it. Put a link up or something :)

[quote name='The End']As I said earlier, the choice has to be TRAINS! There's so much damn DLC for it, that there is at least the chance that one of them will be price glitched when the sale goes live. Apparently there was a DLC that normally sells for $40 that was 98% off for about 15 minutes the other day.

Probably wont happen again. But can you really resist the possibility of getting some train route in Luxemburg for only $0.80?[/QUOTE]

WHAT SRS? I'l buy every DLC if there was 98% off!

Voted for Trains BTW!

[quote name='sunasun']The Walking Dead only $2.49 on gamersgate!!!!!!!
Go now!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

You need to be banned. Partially for posting false deals. Partially for using text that big.

Was looking at that list of DRM stuff and I never knew how many games used it. So what happens if I use my machine activations up? Do they just take it from your Steam libreary and not let you play and will/is there any way to play it otherwise later down the line?

[quote name='sunasun']The Walking Dead only $2.49 on gamersgate!!!!!!! Go now!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

*sprints to computer*

*types gamersgate.com as fast as possible, messes up twice*

*adds Walking Dead to cart, smiling ear-to-ear at his good fortune*

*sees the $24.95 price, erroneously assumes this is the error*

*begins checkout process, still seeing $24.95, confident yet another stupid mistake by GamersGate will net the $2.49 claimed by fellow CAG*

*finalizes $24.95 payment, fully expecting $2.49 price anyway*

*receives $24.95 payment receipt from PayPal, wonders how they got duped, too*

*realizes the claim by fellow CAG was a dumb joke*

*shoots sunasun*

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back