The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Motoki']Total spent is not showing for me either and I do have 0.2[/QUOTE]

OK checking into it now. Looks like Greasemonkey allows remote jQuery calls, and Chrome extensions don't. So much for taking shortcuts!

[quote name='Genocidal']If you've got Paypal or Amazon GCs I'm sure there's plenty of people (myself included) who would help you with regional pricing.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that Genocidal, I'll send you a pm :)

When I first joined CAG the Steam Group Buy and Gifting thread was just a friendly place for group buys and helping out with regional restrictions and pricing.

It's changed a lot since the introduction of gift trading and the proliferation of steam keys... it's serious business now!

BTW if anyone wants Mirror's Edge for $2.50 (AU price) let me know.

Could someone talk me out of buying these games in the next, say, 10 minutes?

Far Cry 1, Fable 1, Dues Ex 1, Thief 1, Doom Classic Complete, and Doom 3 (non-BFG edition).

Thanks.

[quote name='SeymourGams']Could someone talk me out of buying these games in the next, say, 10 minutes?

Far Cry 1, Fable 1, Dues Ex 1, Thief 1, Doom Classic Complete, and Doom 3 (non-BFG edition).

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Do not buy.

You're welcome. ;)

[quote name='jshackles']OK checking into it now. Looks like Greasemonkey allows remote jQuery calls, and Chrome extensions don't. So much for taking shortcuts![/QUOTE]

Also, not to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything, but it doesn't mark games I bought elsewhere but redeemed on Steam as owned - is that something that's possible? :D

[quote name='SeymourGams']Could someone talk me out of buying these games in the next, say, 10 minutes?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

For every one of those games you buy, God kills a kitten.
Please think of the kittens.

[quote name='argyle']Also, not to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything, but it doesn't mark games I bought elsewhere but redeemed on Steam as owned - is that something that's possible? :D[/QUOTE]

That's weird - if you click on the game in Steam, do you get the "regular" green banner that says "You already own... (whatever)"?

[quote name='tfr']For every one of those games you buy, God kills a kitten.
Please think of the kittens.[/QUOTE]

God is a kitten-killing bastich whether I buy the games or not, but thank you for trying.

And what have kittens done for ME lately?

[quote name='jshackles']That's weird - if you click on the game in Steam, do you get the "regular" green banner that says "You already own... (whatever)"?[/QUOTE]

Just double-checked that, and yes, I get that once I click onto the actual game's page. If it helps you any, the game I'm testing this on is Deus Ex - I bought the key from GMG last year & redeemed on Steam.

[quote name='argyle']Just double-checked that, and yes, I get that once I click onto the actual game's page. If it helps you any, the game I'm testing this on is Deus Ex - I bought the key from GMG last year & redeemed on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Looking at the code, I don't think it has anything to do with buying on a separate site and redeeming on Steam. There have been a few instances in my testing where M (and sometimes T) rated games don't show up, presumably because the code that checks if you own the game is hitting the "please enter your birthday" validation page.

I'm sure I'll be able to track down the bug and (hopefully) get it updated soon though, stay tuned!

Yup, you're right, there's definitely something more to it - looked further and your green banner is showing on my Skyrim, which I also bought from GMG.

Thanks btw, very cool plugin - stuff like this makes me wish I had kept pursuing coding.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

That costs $.

Anyone who uses my Chrome extension and likes it should leave me a good review on the Chrome Web Store page - it'll help more people find it and be confident it won't steal their Steam account or anything! :)

[quote name='SeymourGams']In all seriousness, no one has anything bad to say about those titles? 75% off money well spent?[/QUOTE]
Of all those, I could make a case for not buying Far Cry, but that's it.
[quote name='jshackles']OK everyone with version 0.3 of the Enhanced Steam plugin should now see the dreaded total of doom[/QUOTE]
Working now, thanks! Total wasn't nearly as bad as I'd expected considering game count and age of account. I guess it doesn't count non-Steam purchases but I don't think that's a large chunk for me.

[quote name='Genocidal']
Working now, thanks! Total wasn't nearly as bad as I'd expected considering game count and age of account. I guess it doesn't count non-Steam purchases but I don't think that's a large chunk for me.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear it's working! Yeah, Steam calculates the value of anything not purchased on Steam as "Free" (aka +0) so it doesn't get added. Also, it will tally total purchases, so this will include items purchased for someone else as a gift.

I wonder if Motoki will be brave enough to look...

[quote name='SeymourGams']In all seriousness, no one has anything bad to say about those titles? 75% off money well spent?[/QUOTE]

I'd wait to buy Thief in the pack whenever it goes on sale for 75% off, no use just buying the first. Same with Deus Ex, obviously if you already own prior games in said series then ignore this :p

[quote name='jshackles']Looking at the code, I don't think it has anything to do with buying on a separate site and redeeming on Steam. There have been a few instances in my testing where M (and sometimes T) rated games don't show up, presumably because the code that checks if you own the game is hitting the "please enter your birthday" validation page.

I'm sure I'll be able to track down the bug and (hopefully) get it updated soon though, stay tuned![/QUOTE]

Maybe you can pass a birth date in as a parameter? It doesn't seem to matter what it is as long as the calculated age is 18 or over I believe. Of course you probably know all of this so I will shut up now. In a minute. Nothing to do with your code but I never realized that Steam marks the Demo listing as owned for any full game I own whether I downloaded the demo or not.

[quote name='KaOTiK']I'd wait to buy Thief in the pack whenever it goes on sale for 75% off, no use just buying the first. Same with Deus Ex, obviously if you already own prior games in said series then ignore this :p[/QUOTE]

I have the recent Deus Ex from an Amazon pack and Thief 2 from a cheap GMG deal. Otherwise, that is totally legit advice.

[quote name='jshackles']OK everyone with version 0.3 of the Enhanced Steam plugin should now see the dreaded total of doom[/QUOTE]
Nice plugin, and depressing when looking at the total number.

[quote name='Palinn']Maybe you can pass a birth date in as a parameter? It doesn't seem to matter what it is as long as the calculated age is 18 or over I believe. Of course you probably know all of this so I will shut up now. In a minute. Nothing to do with your code but I never realized that Steam marks the Demo listing as owned for any full game I own whether I downloaded the demo or not.[/QUOTE]

The code is just doing a mass HTTP GET request for all of the links on the page that lead to steampowered.com/app/ or steampowered.com/sub/ which seems to randomly hit a wall. Unfortunately, it's not smart enough to know "if it asks for your age, enter 1/1/1900". I just tell it "go get this file, and look for the green banner". So if it gets something other than what it expects, it will just report back "nope, I didn't see the green banner so you must not own this".

Also, Steam uses the same link for the full version and the demo of games. So with this same logic, all of the demos in the search will show a green banner if you own the full game. :)

[quote name='Genocidal']Of all those, I could make a case for not buying Far Cry, but that's it.[/QUOTE]

I was on the fence about that one the most, thanks.

[quote name='jshackles']Anyone who uses my Chrome extension and likes it should leave me a good review on the Chrome Web Store page - it'll help more people find it and be confident it won't steal their Steam account or anything! :)[/QUOTE]

Installing it now...

[quote name='Malibuz0r']Hey, jshackles.. Is your plugin open source?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'll probably release it as such once it gets cleaned up some. Right now it's a mess (and started out as a Greasemonkey script) which I debated posting at all for fear of code nazis. :D

[quote name='jshackles']Anyone who uses my Chrome extension and likes it should leave me a good review on the Chrome Web Store page - it'll help more people find it and be confident it won't steal their Steam account or anything! :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this, it's very useful. Do you have a link to the updated script for greasemonkey for us firefox users?

[quote name='jshackles']The code is just doing a mass HTTP GET request for all of the links on the page that lead to steampowered.com/app/ or steampowered.com/sub/ which seems to randomly hit a wall. Unfortunately, it's not smart enough to know "if it asks for your age, enter 1/1/1900". I just tell it "go get this file, and look for the green banner". So if it gets something other than what it expects, it will just report back "nope, I didn't see the green banner so you must not own this".

Also, Steam uses the same link for the full version and the demo of games. So with this same logic, all of the demos in the search will show a green banner if you own the full game. :)[/QUOTE]

I learn something new every day. Too bad I have to forget something to make room...

[quote name='Honeybaked Ham']Thanks for this, it's very useful. Do you have a link to the updated script for greasemonkey for us firefox users?[/QUOTE]

5char!

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy New Year guys.

js - The GreaseMonkey script isn't working properly. It's disabled my ability to click on drop-down menus, for instance for the account drop down menu in the top right.

[quote name='Severose']
js - The GreaseMonkey script isn't working properly. It's disabled my ability to click on drop-down menus, for instance for the account drop down menu in the top right.[/QUOTE]

It seems to be working for me. Granted, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Yet another Borderlands 2 Golden Key Code: CBCJJ-3RJ55-5XT3J-3T3T3-TRCTK
(that's three tonight so far)

[quote name='chapnis']Anyone paid Sonic Generations? Worth it for $5?[/QUOTE]

If you like Sonic games then hell yes! It's one of SEGA's best in years. It's visually polished, the gameplay is great, and there's loads of content.

I'm an idiot and I can't find out where the total amount spent is at.

EDIT: Never mind. I was expecting more, especially since I have over 600 games. I'm a cheap bastard.

[quote name='elessar123']Happy New Years!

All our avatars are still wearing Christmas stuff.[/QUOTE]

Tis still the season!

[quote name='Tsel']I'm an idiot and I can't find out where the total amount spent is at.

EDIT: Never mind. I was expecting more, especially since I have over 600 games. I'm a cheap bastard.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't count the games you've bought off of Amazon or other sites. 90% of my purchases are made that way, so I expected my total to be higher.

Seems it usually takes a little while for folks to change avs around here. :)

[quote name='SeymourGams']It doesn't count the games you've bought off of Amazon or other sites. 90% of my purchases are made that way, so I expected my total to be higher.[/QUOTE]
Well yeah, of course, but I didn't really get into buying things on Amazon digitally until this holiday season. I've only made a few purchases on other random sites, but then there's CAG transactions. I'd say the majority of my Steam library comes from CAG and the few winter sales I've been a part of.

[quote name='Captain Urahara']I kind of want to stick with my Christmas Grump avatar.[/QUOTE]

Excellent choice. Your avatar is probably my favorite at the moment. And it's not all that obviously Christmas-y.

As for me, I'll wait for the Steam Holiday sale to end, and then I'll switch back.

Lies! But, Happy New Year!

Nice script j-shak. Wish I could use it in the client, but I will definitely get some use out of it. To be more depressing folks, don't forget that that total doesn't reflect purchases outside of Steam itself (bundles, Amazon, GMG). Does it include gifts purchased?

[quote name='The End']Excellent choice. Your avatar is probably my favorite at the moment. And it's not all that obviously Christmas-y.[/QUOTE]

It always makes me laugh when I look at it, and it is quite versatile for year-round use. Thanks again to jshackles for it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back