The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Motoki']Hmm that game got to $10 in a little over 3 months. I wonder if Square Eidos will do the same with Tomb Raider.[/QUOTE]

Remember how long it took for Sleeping Dogs and Deus Ex to drop? I think they were both under $25 within minutes of release and $10 a few hours later.

[quote name='Preedatore']I don't get this IPA rage that's popped up over the past 5 or so years. I feel like it's fueled by twenty-something beer snobs trying to one up their friends with who can find the shittiest and most obscure beer and pretend to like it. [/QUOTE]

IPAs are hardly obscure. Most any brewery will do one, including various small and unknown places, but they are not, as a style, obscure. Obscure would be something like a Gose or a Gratzer. (Two old German styles done by only a handful of breweries even in Germany.)

They're also sort of the equivalent to a big red in the wine world. The flavors are bold and in your face. There's no need to develop a palate to find and appreciate a wide range of subtle flavors. They are easy to understand. As such, they tend to be very popular with people relatively new to craft beer. Craft beer has been on a big upswing with a more casual crowd, and those are the people drinking a ton of IPAs at craft bars instead of the Bass or Stella they might have been drinking five years ago.

[quote name='Preedatore']I don't get this IPA rage that's popped up over the past 5 or so years. I feel like it's fueled by twenty-something beer snobs trying to one up their friends with who can find the shittiest and most obscure beer and pretend to like it.

"Oh, you're drinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale? That was ok before they went mainstream. Now it just doesn't taste right. I'm drinking Houndstooth Sixpence 90 Minute IPA. It's only available at this one place 90 miles east of here, on thursdays, at 4:14 AM, and you have to pay in iTunes gift cards."

And before you get all worked up, I'm sure there are people that legitimately like it. I just don't get the craze.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='gilby']IPAs are hardly obscure. Most any brewery will do one, including various small and unknown places, but they are not, as a style, obscure. Obscure would be something like a Gose or a Gratzer. (Two old German styles done by only a handful of breweries even in Germany.)

They're also sort of the equivalent to a big red in the wine world. The flavors are bold and in your face. There's no need to develop a palate to find and appreciate a wide range of subtle flavors. They are easy to understand. As such, they tend to be very popular with people relatively new to craft beer. Craft beer has been on a big upswing with a more casual crowd, and those are the people drinking a ton of IPAs at craft bars instead of the Bass or Stella they might have been drinking five years ago.[/QUOTE]

Well said.

After tasting what other kinds of beer are out there, and more easily available than before, you start to realize how shitty most mass-produced-and-marketed American and imported pale lagers and pilsners taste.

That kind of douchebag snobbery described accompanies anything that involves matters of taste and subjective judgement—food, drink, art, wait for it... gaming.

I have an Anchor in my fridge waiting for me, but it's a Liberty Ale, which I've never tried before.

If you're lucky enough to live in Chicagoland and want to take a chance on new kinds of beer, this is a godsend:

6Pack_rotatorRevE.jpg

Not that every craft brewery is available there, but it's a good start.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']
drinking-from-guinness-pint-glasses-2.jpg

I'll stick with this. God damn if there isn't anything better than a cold pint of Guinness from a tap -- particularly when the bartender knows how to pour it correctly.
[/QUOTE]

Guiness for me is always the safe bet, whether it's from tap or bottle.

[quote name='seamoss']Now I live in Colorado and can have all sorts of great microbrews, including this one:

new_belgium_blue_paddle_2.jpeg
[/QUOTE]

I don't think Blue Paddle is that obscure. I mean, New Belgium is everywhere, especially Fat Tire. Stores I've been to always stocks lots of New Belgium stuff.

Other than that, Shiner has been my favorite for 10+ years. I don't care that it's gotten so popular that it's the #1 specialized beer or something in America. Just makes it easier for me to find, because it used to not be sold in most places.

shiner_bock.jpg

Saw this on Dealnews

Green Man Gaming offers downloads of Hitman: Absolution Professional Edition for Windows for $12.49. Coupon code "GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS" makes it $10. That's $7 under our mention from a month ago and the lowest price we've seen. (It's a current low by $40.) It comes with a 72-page digital artbook, "making of" video, and more. Note that Steam is required to download and activate this software.

I missed getting this with cagrocks coupon
Definite Buy for me

Saw this on Dealnews

Green Man Gaming offers downloads of Hitman: Absolution Professional Edition for Windows for $12.49. Coupon code "GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS" makes it $10. That's $7 under our mention from a month ago and the lowest price we've seen. (It's a current low by $40.) It comes with a 72-page digital artbook, "making of" video, and more. Note that Steam is required to download and activate this software.

Definite Buy for me

[quote name='osso1']Saw this on Dealnews

Definite Buy for me[/QUOTE]

Yep, more people who don't read before posting.

[quote name='asheskitty']It's live and it works. I just scored a A Binomial Nut Shot for $10, Professional Edition to boot.

Worst case it drops to $7.50 by the summer sale, I figure.

[quote name='asheskitty']Okay, fine, here's a steam deal...

Tomorrow (Saturday) GMG will have a popular game on sale for 75% off, $12.50, this title shall be referrred to by it's anagram A Binomial Nut Shot. The 20% off code GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS should bring it to it's lowest price ever.[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Motoki']Hmm that game got to $10 in a little over 3 months. I wonder if Square Eidos will do the same with Tomb Raider.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly where I am. I see these good reviews of TR and a few pre-order bonuses and they are tempting... but they're nothing like the 50% off "waiting" bonus we're gonna get in a few months. I think I'm holding out on this one.

[quote name='asheskitty']Yep, more people who don't read before posting.[/QUOTE]

Or who don't want to play a guessing game to figure it out... when I originally read your post there was no link to GMG so I went to their site myself instead of wasting time trying to figure out what the hell you meant.

I still haven't played any of the Hitman games in my library, so I guess I can put off this purchase a little longer.

[quote name='elessar123']
I don't think Blue Paddle is that obscure. I mean, New Belgium is everywhere, especially Fat Tire. Stores I've been to always stocks lots of New Belgium stuff.
[/IMG][/QUOTE]

To be fair, we in the Midwest (or Michigan, at least), just got New Belgium shipping to us this fall. People sort of flipped their shit at the time. I think that was a bit of an overreaction, but New Belgium is a really solid brewery, and their beer, at least at stores around here, tends to be surprisingly cheap for the quality.

[quote name='Genocidal']Or who don't want to play a guessing game to figure it out... when I originally read your post there was no link to GMG so I went to their site myself instead of wasting time trying to figure out what the hell you meant.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you did post the deal as an anagram...

True. However my original post (below) was in the GMG thread. And my repost in the steam thead this morning confirming the deal is live has the link. (Linking before a deal is live just invites whining from people who don't pay attention to the fact that's it's in the future.) Could I have been less obtuse before the deal was live? Sure! ...but how often do games have anagrams like that.

[quote name='asheskitty']http://blog.greenmangaming.com/

Hitman Ab will be $12.50 tomorrow, I'm assuming 20% will stack.

Tin-Tin is also 75% off, but no buy button for me in Amerika. I'm guessing guessing the pub said, "Non!" to Américains. (Not kidding it's Ubi, GMG can't sell Ubi games to Yanks).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='asheskitty']True. However my original post (below) was in the GMG thread. And my repost in the steam thead this morning confirming the deal is live has the link. (Linking before a deal is live just invites whining from people who don't pay attention to the fact that's it's in the future.) Could I have been less obtuse before the deal was live? Sure! ...but how often do games have anagrams like that.[/QUOTE]

I suspect we could find good anagrams for lots of games if we tried hard enough. But I am too busy playing Blander Rods, Ionic Zit Vial, and Oh, Militiamen!

edit: and the Steam deals going on right now are Sumos, Arise!, Software Horse, and Infant Ham Joker.

[quote name='Dr Sasquatch']I suspect we could find good anagrams for lots of games if we tried hard enough. But I am too busy playing Blander Rods, Ionic Zit Vial, and Oh, Militiamen!

edit: and the Steam deals going on right now are Sumos, Arise!, Software Horse, and Infant Ham Joker.[/QUOTE]

Those actually sound better to me than the original games those anagrams are based on.

[quote name='Dr Sasquatch']I suspect we could find good anagrams for lots of games if we tried hard enough. But I am too busy playing Blander Rods, Ionic Zit Vial, and Oh, Militiamen![/QUOTE]

I've heard that last one is a Bara knockoff dating sim loosely based on Oh My Goddess! ^_~

[quote name='Eldredpe']To be fair, we in the Midwest (or Michigan, at least), just got New Belgium shipping to us this fall. People sort of flipped their shit at the time. I think that was a bit of an overreaction, but New Belgium is a really solid brewery, and their beer, at least at stores around here, tends to be surprisingly cheap for the quality.

Yeah, you did post the deal as an anagram...[/QUOTE]

New Belgium is definitely a solid brewery and while I didn't flip my shit I was glad to see their stuff become available in the Mitten. We're lucky in my eyes to have a lot of awesome brews available here. Still waiting on Yuengling though. =/

I don't always drink beer.
But when I do,
I discuss it at length in the CAG Steam Thread.

That's my contribution for the day. Now, back to "Skirym." Good luck deciphering THAT anagram.

[quote name='Motoki']Those actually sound better to me than the original games those anagrams are based on.[/QUOTE]

I could totally see you playing Software Horse!

[quote name='asheskitty']I've heard that last one is a Bara knockoff dating sim loosely based on Oh My Goddess! ^_~[/QUOTE]

You play FBI agent John R. Backup, and you have to infiltrate a camp of violent militiamen in the small town of Hammock, Montana. Little did you expect that love would be waiting in the form of Ed Largeman, the gruff leader of the militia. But what do you do when Vin Unleaded, Largeman's right hand man, gets jealous? And what do you tell your bosses in the FBI?

It's essentially the story of Betrayed.

[quote name='DPsycho']I don't always drink beer.
But when I do,
I discuss it at length in the CAG Steam Thread.

That's my contribution for the day. Now, back to "Skirym." Good luck deciphering THAT anagram.[/QUOTE]

You're playing "My Risk" without asking me first? That really "Irks My"

I know the "Secret Herd Lolls" is an addictive game series, but still...

[quote name='Rehykja']New Belgium is definitely a solid brewery and while I didn't flip my shit I was glad to see their stuff become available in the Mitten. We're lucky in my eyes to have a lot of awesome brews available here. Still waiting on Yuengling though. =/[/QUOTE]

I have friends that request I keep an eye out for Yuengling and pick some up for them whenever I take any kind of substantial road trip.

I've never actually had it, to be honest.

[quote name='Rehykja']New Belgium is definitely a solid brewery and while I didn't flip my shit I was glad to see their stuff become available in the Mitten. We're lucky in my eyes to have a lot of awesome brews available here. Still waiting on Yuengling though. =/[/QUOTE]

Any New Belgium fans who find themselves in Colorado should go on their brewery tour. Kind of cool to see the history behind the company and how things run now. Plus free samples!

[quote name='Eldredpe']I have friends that request I keep an eye out for Yuengling and pick some up for them whenever I take any kind of substantial road trip.

I've never actually had it, to be honest.[/QUOTE]

It's not going to blow any minds but it's a nice easy drinking lager. Not something I'd drink all the time even if it was easily available, but it's good for what it is and was fairly cheap the few times I've been able to pick it up out of state. I think it'll lose some of the strange reverence it's got around here if it ever becomes available though.

[quote name='travathian']Any New Belgium fans who find themselves in Colorado should go on their brewery tour. Kind of cool to see the history behind the company and how things run now. Plus free samples![/QUOTE]

I was in Denver on business about a year ago and was hoping to find time to hit up that tour, but alas I was not so lucky. Boo. :(

For all this talk about New Belgium you should just go to Actual Belgium instead. It's full of old men riding bicycles. And truffles. And nice beer.

Bit flat, mind.

Edit: the country, not the beer.

Is anyone playing War of the Roses having an issue with lag? I swear a lot of my attacks look like they're striking the enemy, but no damage appears on screen.

[quote name='MysterD']Same here, for the most part.
Racers, Platformers, Fighters - gamepad all the way for me.

Some games that have botched KB/mouse controls and/or just feel like they were totally built around a gamepad - yeah, it's kind of in your best interest to go w/ the gamepad.
I'm thinking PC versions of RE4 and Dark Souls PTD here.

Usually - RPG's, Shooters (FPS/TPS), I prefer KB/mouse.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I play Dead Island with a controller because of the shitty port job. Looking around with the mouse is very, very choppy.

[quote name='bshirk']Is anyone playing War of the Roses having an issue with lag? I swear a lot of my attacks look like they're striking the enemy, but no damage appears on screen.[/QUOTE]
There is a fair bit of lag sometimes, while other times it's really good. Honestly though, hitting enemies is hard. A lot of attacks that you think are hitting aren't actually meeting their mark, or are hitting portions of armor that deflect damage unless you're using a very big, heavy weapon.

I'm shocked by how unimpressed I am with War of the Roses. I love the Mount and Blade series but having played War of the Roses for a bit today, I just find it terribly mediocre and lacking all the charm of M&B. I guess I can defend the combat in M&B because the mounted combat was excellent and while the graphics were rough, it was a part of a larger game formula that seemed to work well and was just plain fun.

As a stand alone, combat-only game ... frankly War of the Roses is just awful. Maybe I'm alone in feeling that way, but the animation looks dated, it struggles on my system (which can run games like Skyrim just fine), and it seems to lack the fun I found in other offerings from Paradox.

-edit-

Having played a bit more, I can see how it can be fun, but I'm really glad I didn't spend $20 or $30 for it. My hope is that the next Mount and Blade will utilize the engine they're using for combat here and add in everything else that seems to be missing (ie. strategy, storyline, exploration, army building, rpg character building, etc)

One of my personal favorites:

IMG_4258.jpg

Yuengling is a good cheap American made brand. It will not blow you away but I think it
is one of the best mass produced ones out their.
Their best beer is probably either regular American Lager or this bad boy:

yuengling_black_and_tan.eedxsec7mdc080k84owoo04ks.6ylu316ao144c8c4woosog48w.th.jpeg

10.49 for a 12 pack of B&T not bad at all. :D

[quote name='Eldredpe']I have friends that request I keep an eye out for Yuengling and pick some up for them whenever I take any kind of substantial road trip.

I've never actually had it, to be honest.[/QUOTE]

It seems to be fairly popular here since Ohio got it back in October of 2010.

[quote name='Idiotekque']
nturalice003.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Na man it all about da OE, Mickeys, etc. :cool:

tumblr_lhx3m7wvbr1qcp0p6o1_500.jpg

[quote name='Rehykja']It's not going to blow any minds but it's a nice easy drinking lager. Not something I'd drink all the time even if it was easily available, but it's good for what it is and was fairly cheap the few times I've been able to pick it up out of state. I think it'll lose some of the strange reverence it's got around here if it ever becomes available though.
[/QUOTE]

I think that is a good synopsis of Yuengling. It won't blow your mind but it is better than the
most mass produced stuff and won't kill the wallet like most micro or craft brews. You might try the B&Ts if you like a mix of Porter and Lager.

Man, that GMG deal on Hitman Absolution is so tempting!!!! Must resist..... backlog.. could.. crush..... an elephant.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Yeah, I play Dead Island with a controller because of the shitty port job. Looking around with the mouse is very, very choppy.

There is a fair bit of lag sometimes, while other times it's really good. Honestly though, hitting enemies is hard. A lot of attacks that you think are hitting aren't actually meeting their mark, or are hitting portions of armor that deflect damage unless you're using a very big, heavy weapon.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm missing at least some of the time, then. I like it so far, but I'll have to dig into the backlog and try Mount & Blade and see how it compares,

[quote name='bshirk']Maybe I'm missing at least some of the time, then. I like it so far, but I'll have to dig into the backlog and try Mount & Blade and see how it compares,[/QUOTE]
I played a bit of M&B Warband. It's good, but the combat felt much less defined and heavy as WotR. The graphics hurt M&B too. Combat feels a little cheesy, and I don't think the horseback combat was any better than in WotR.

Warband is still awesome from the strategic/exploratory aspect. It's just dated. I REALLY wish WotR had a single player side like Warband.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Yeah, I play Dead Island with a controller because of the shitty port job. Looking around with the mouse is very, very choppy..[/QUOTE]
I actually played Dead Island with a KB/mouse - and was fine w/ the PC controls.
{shrug}

About the control-pad - even though I sucked at it, putting Dead Island in the "analog mode" was pretty cool...

Can anyone tellme about the WotR player base?. I'm loving the game, but I'm reading about how many people hate it... and how the game is dead. I know NOW is different, maybe because the steam free weekend.

Is just that I don't want to buy a game I'm beginning to like... just to find is dead a week later... without a SP campaign :(

[quote name='juanjava']Can anyone tellme about the WotR player base?. I'm loving the game, but I'm reading about how many people hate it... and how the game is dead. I know NOW is different, maybe because the steam free weekend.

Is just that I don't want to buy a game I'm beginning to like... just to find is dead a week later... without a SP campaign :([/QUOTE]
Who said it was dead? Even in the slowest hours, I've always been able to find a few mostly full servers in my region.

[quote name='Eldredpe']To be fair, we in the Midwest (or Michigan, at least), just got New Belgium shipping to us this fall. People sort of flipped their shit at the time. I think that was a bit of an overreaction, but New Belgium is a really solid brewery, and their beer, at least at stores around here, tends to be surprisingly cheap for the quality.[/QUOTE]

With what's available from in-state breweries, it's tough for me to imagine anyone in Michigan flipping out over anything that shows up from out-of-state.

I liked Super House of Dead Ninjas a lot and normally I love the controller but the game is built in a lot of rapid d pad shifts. Keyboard works great for it if you can handle one. An arcade stick might work too but I am not used to one.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Who said it was dead? Even in the slowest hours, I've always been able to find a few mostly full servers in my region.[/QUOTE]

Reading some posts on the steam forums. Also there's a lot of hate from players on Metacritic... maybe because it was too buggy/unbalanced at launch or something like that... Almost all bad reviews/hate are from last year

I usually don't care about critic (I love Clive Barker's Jericho), so that numbers doesn't matters to me, only the player base

[quote name='louiedog']Great. Now someone is going to edit the Coconut Queen dancing scene into a Harlem Shake video.[/QUOTE]
Are you volunteering?

[quote name='juanjava']Reading some posts on the steam forums. Also there's a lot of hate from players on Metacritic... maybe because it was too buggy/unbalanced at launch or something like that... Almost all bad reviews/hate are from last year

I usually don't care about critic (I love Clive Barker's Jericho), so that numbers doesn't matters to me, only the player base[/QUOTE]
Oh, right. The game was a pretty big mess when it first launched, from what I hear. It's gotten a lot better, but it's the sort of game where new content is added fairly frequently and free of charge (new weapons, armor, etc), so there's a lot of balance tweaking with each update to keep things "fair" and competitive. Right now people are criticizing the power of bows with the addition of fire arrows.

As for player base, like I said, it's not CoD, but it's still quite active.

[quote name='juanjava']
I usually don't care about critic (I love Clive Barker's Jericho), so that numbers doesn't matters to me, only the player base[/QUOTE]
I also liked Clive Barker's Jericho more than most critics did...
...but I didn't love it, though.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Oh, right. The game was a pretty big mess when it first launched, from what I hear.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much every Paradox game. The CEO admitted in interviews that they didn't have enough money to keep games in development long enough to get rid of most of the bugs so they just released knowing it was too early and that the games were buggy.

He's said recently that they're in a better financial state now and going forward there should be less buggy releases. Supposedly.

I guess one good thing about backlogging games and/or waiting for cheap sales is that you remain ignorant of buggy messes releases and by the time you do play the game (if you do) it will hopefully have been all patched up. :p

[quote name='MysterD']I also liked Clive Barker's Jericho more than most critics did...
...but I didn't love it, though.[/QUOTE]

Well, yeah, bad word choice... I "just" liked it too... :lol:

Really, I liked it for what it tried to do. It was short, and "a bit" repetitive... but all else was great. Is not at the same quality level as Undying, but it didnt deserve all the hate.

[quote name='Motoki']I guess one good thing about backlogging games and/or waiting for cheap sales is that you remain ignorant of buggy messes releases and by the time you do play the game (if you do) it will hopefully have been all patched up. :p[/QUOTE]

This is the main reason I hardly ever buy games on release. The amount of patching sometimes required is pretty substantial. Skyrim or any other major RPG require at least 3-4 months before all the major issues are patched out. I like to wait until all those patches are out and by then, most titles can be had for 66-75% off.

[quote name='Motoki']it's a about a guy whose girlfriend turns into an Alpaca one day[/QUOTE]

Man, I HATE it when that happens. But what do you do?

[quote name='Motoki']and he continues to romance her.[/QUOTE]

True love knows no bounds.

I actually do want to play this now that I know it exists, but that's more than I'm willing to spend on a random VN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back