The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Bad Rats?

I heard there's an Alpaca rape game, but not really interested in Alpacas.[/QUOTE]

That one just creeps me out (not that much, but just a little -- esp that artwork). Of all the deviants I'm accepting of, I just don't quite grok furries.

[quote name='asheskitty']
I'm surprised with the blind faith some CAGs have put into their SimCity pre-orders. (Especially since it's been a decade since SimCity 4, so it's functionally a reboot.)[/QUOTE]

I pre-ordered. I love SimCity. I love all of them (2k, 3k, 4).

It was probably a foolish thing to do (though I got it for next to nothing out-of-pocket). I just want so badly for it to be good and do well that all rational thought left me in my moment of weakness.

[quote name='asheskitty']Oh weird! I've never seen them do that, they actually pulled the Sins sale (news item about it being the daily is still up). @ Today's daily, I got the DR complete pack for $10 on the winter sale, so Meh.[/QUOTE]

Nooooooo! Almost bought it today at lunchtime... I come back and it's gone, replaced with a bad Capcom deal.
Edit: lol, already own it

Honestly, I think AC1 was pretty groundbreaking. Not overhyped at all; it was the first of its kind and a pretty amazing game. Then 2 came out.

Ubi did a good job learning from their mistakes and has made the series better since. It was just rough around the edges.

[quote name='Motoki']So how does everyone really feel about Assassins Creed?[/QUOTE]

I think AC4 is really the low point for the series.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Honestly, I think AC1 was pretty groundbreaking. Not overhyped at all; it was the first of its kind and a pretty amazing game. Then 2 came out.

Ubi did a good job learning from their mistakes and has made the series better since. It was just rough around the edges.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't really recall AC1 getting hyped up at all. I bought it on a whim since it looked cool and my friends and I were just wowed by how cool it was.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Honestly, I think AC1 was pretty groundbreaking. Not overhyped at all; it was the first of its kind and a pretty amazing game. Then 2 came out.

Ubi did a good job learning from their mistakes and has made the series better since. It was just rough around the edges.[/QUOTE]

I felt it was somewhat over hyped (most games from large companies are). It was definitely groundbreaking look wise. It shared elements of games prior (open world + action + stealth) of course.

The thing that kinda upset me I knew one of the big reveals prior to even playing the game (due to a preview of the game on G4).

You find out about it right when you start the game. I would have liked this revealed later in the game myself. Or, the first time you "die".

By the end of the game I just wanted it to end. It got very tedious.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Honestly, I think AC1 was pretty groundbreaking. Not overhyped at all; it was the first of its kind and a pretty amazing game. Then 2 came out.[/quote]
I don't really know what was so ground-breaking about AC1.

It was a technically poor PC port upon its release (and ran like garbage on my PC that I had back then); and another open-world game (there's been tons of these, since GTA3).

Thing was, AC was mostly focused on stealth & platforming...
....until the last 1/3rd of the game became an action-fest.

Thief: Deadly Shadows (another open-world stealth game) was actually better than AC1.
AC series really owes a lot to Thief series and Prince of Persia series, if you ask me.

Ubi did a good job learning from their mistakes and has made the series better since. It was just rough around the edges.
Well, I hope so...
...I mean, the cut & paste stuff and repetitive-ness can definitely be found BIG TIME in both AC1 & Far Cry 2....

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Please don't get me started on Far Cry...[/QUOTE]

Crytek's original Far Cry or those Ubi Monteal sequels?

The whole animus thing was a huge turn off for me at least, and totally broke immersion too much. If you want to invoke modern day stuff into my assassination game then let me be the Assassin of Creed, bout time someone did something about that band!

[quote name='louiedog']The movie?[/QUOTE]

I'm actually a huge fan of anything Uwe Boll, especially House of the Dead 1, which is the pinnacle of video game move adaptations. House of the Dead 2 got all serious and entertaining that it lost all the charm of the first and moved into watchable movie territory.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Sequels... I mean you know what I'm talking about right?[/QUOTE]

Well, I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet. Can't speak on that...

...but Far Cry 2 is repetitive as hell on the side-missions. Seriously, too many recycled cut & paste safe houses and respawning "shootouts" areas.

No surprise, since both AC1 (2007 on consoles; 2008 on PC) and Far Cry 2 (2008) were both released close to each other.

[quote name='Flowette']This thread goes to some strange places sometimes.[/QUOTE]
I believe the Far Cry movie is Origin-only, and EA never discounts it. You're better off getting the Postal movie off Steam.

[quote name='MysterD']I don't really know what was so ground-breaking about AC1.

It was a technically poor PC port upon its release (and ran like garbage on my PC that I had back then); and another open-world game (there's been tons of these, since GTA3).

Thing was, AC was mostly focused on stealth & platforming...
....until the last 1/3rd of the game became an action-fest.

Thief: Deadly Shadows (another open-world stealth game) was actually better than AC1.
AC series really owes a lot to Thief series and Prince of Persia series, if you ask me.

Well, I hope so...
...I mean, the cut & paste stuff and repetitive-ness can definitely be found BIG TIME in both AC1 & Far Cry 2....[/QUOTE]
Poor port? Then we'll talk about the console versions, lol.

There was never a game quite like AC1. New gen games are NEVER fully unique, so obviously there were open world games before, stealth games, etc. I still fully believe there was nothing like Assassin's Creed before it was released though, concerning the gameplay, story, setting, etc. Similarities here and there, but AC was very unique and groundbreaking.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Poor port? Then we'll talk about the console versions, lol.[/quote]
Nope, I never touched console versions.
AC1 PC version ran like garbage on my PC.
And on that same PC, AC2 PC ran A TON better.
Yeah - they actually optimized and put a ton of effort into AC2 PC, despite it (at that time) using "always online DRM".

There was never a game quite like AC1. New gen games are NEVER fully unique, so obviously there were open world games before, stealth games, etc. I still fully believe there was nothing like Assassin's Creed before it was released though, concerning the gameplay, story, setting, etc. Similarities here and there, but AC was very unique and groundbreaking.
Gameplay-wise - it took stealth elements from Thief series (especially Thief: Deadly Shadows w/ an open-world stealth game); open-world games (like GTA, Boiling Point, etc); & the platforming of games like say Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider.

Yes, the setting, story, prose/dialogue, and characters was pretty good in AC...
...but it's certainly say no Planescape: Torment in any of those regards.
Of course - no game is in PST's league for that stuff, for that matter.

@MysterD, that reminds me one of the reasons I hate most video reviews. I honestly prefer reading stuff. But if you're going to use video, maximize it's advantage in *showing* me aspects of the game. I really hate the talking-head stuff. IGN does a good job of that. (But I never bother with the videos until I've read the review.) I'm pretty sure I'm in a small minority about that though.

[quote name='asheskitty']@MysterD, that reminds me one of the reasons I hate most video reviews. I honestly prefer reading stuff. But if you're going to use video, maximize it's advantage in *showing* me aspects of the game. I really hate the talking-head stuff. IGN does a good job of that. (But I never bother with the videos until I've read the review.) I'm pretty sure I'm in a small minority about that though.[/QUOTE]

All I know: I have SimCity 4: Deluxe from Retail still untouched and that I probably should one day look at that....

....and wait for SimCity 2013 to get cheap and/or maybe have its DRM-lessened.

Oh, and maybe C&C4 (don't own) and Darkspore (do own) will have it's "Always online DRM" lessened, one day...

[quote name='MysterD']Gameplay-wise - it took stealth elements from Thief series (especially Thief: Deadly Shadows w/ an open-world stealth game); open-world games (like GTA, Boiling Point, etc); & the platforming of games like say Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider.

Yes, the setting, story, prose/dialogue, and characters was pretty good in AC...
...but it's certainly say no Planescape: Torment in any of those regards.
Of course - no game is in PST's league for that stuff, for that matter.[/QUOTE]
Thief was first person, eh? Sure, there's a stealth/assassination thing going on there, but I still don't see the gameplay between Thief and AC as all that similar. Calling AC similar to GTA because it's "open world" is akin to saying all video games are similar because they're played on a PC/TV monitor. The "platforming" of AC is only vaguely similar to any of those games, too. Climbing, vaulting, and generally being a parkour badass was never, ever done anything close to how AC did it. Not to mention those mechanics were seamlessly integrated into the stealth/assassination system, and you've got something wildly original.

And PST has great writing, but it's nerdy/off-the-wall/dark/humorous and hard to compare to anything. It's good, but it's just in a different world (different league or not).

@idiot, just admit it, AssCred is a PuckMan ripoff. You run around collecting stuff. You spend alternating bits of time running from enemies and taking them out. ^_~

[quote name='asheskitty']@idiot, just admit it, AssCred is a PuckMan ripoff. You run around collecting stuff. You spend alternating bits of time running from enemies and taking them out. ^_~[/QUOTE]
You're kidding right? Obviously it's just copying Mario. He's Italian, jumps around, assassinates goombas from above, etc.

[quote name='Idiotekque']You're kidding right? Obviously it's just copying Mario. He's Italian, jumps around, assassinates goombas from above, etc.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Ass Creed 1 is a direct rip off of Ass Creed 4. Nothing original at all.

@Idiotekque

Like I said - AC series been picking off certain elements from certain games.

Like Dishonored, AC series takes a mix of TONS of different games and genres, mixes them together; and does a thing of its own with it (i.e. has its own original type of setting).

While Thief 1 and 2 were first-person only...
...Thief: Deadly Shadows (AKA Thief 3) allowed for player to SWITCH the camera b/t 1st and 3rd person at their very own will.
Also, Thief 3 was a full-blown open-world stealth game.

Also, if you're talking assassination missions w/ often huge open-areas (which AC1 has), that's taking cues from the Hitman games.

My comparison w/ GTA is AC series is open-world; and especially b/c of the big maps and mini-maps are loaded w/ symbols of where to get missions.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I'm pretty sure Ass Creed 1 is a direct rip off of Ass Creed 4. Nothing original at all.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping that AC4: Black Flag will be a better game than AC1...

[quote name='MysterD']I'm hoping that AC4: Black Flag will be a better game than AC1...[/QUOTE]

I definitely think the pirate genre is severely underrepresented. So is AC + Pirates original?

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I definitely think the pirate genre is severely underrepresented. So is AC + Pirates original?[/QUOTE]

Nobody said AC4 was going to be original.
I'm glad it's doing the pirates themes, though I'd rather a new AC game come out a few years down the road - especially one going pirate-y.

And no, I have NOT played Sea Dogs.
I do have Age of Pirates: Carribbean Tales; and Age of Pirates 2.
Never touched AOP2, though.

EDIT:
[quote name='Genocidal']
beating_a_dead_horse.jpg
[/QUOTE]

{Waiting for Morte from PST to throw one of his catch-phrases}

[quote name='asheskitty']SimCity impressions: We waited ten years for this?
Two Ars editors play mayor for a weekend and find the experience wanting.

[/QUOTE]

So sad, read that this morning, and its about what I expected. Was really hoping for simcity 4 + better graphics + larger cities and interactions between cities + more buildings/stuff to do/etc. Of course they did the exact opposite and made it the 'The Sims' city and shrank everything and made it all online collaboration completing defeating the spirit of simcity. The saddest part though is the removal of features for obvious inclusion as paid DLC later on like various transportation systems and probably border expansion and transportation across borders

Also its funny how EA completely forgot their original BS excuse for constant connection required. Originally it was to 'offload all the processing for the massive simulation to their servers'. If that was the case, then why have such limited size of everything, shouldnt you be able to simulate NYC if your offloading the heavy duty simulation processing to EA's servers? but then again they stopped spouting that after all the anti-drm talk started

-edit
actually looks like they are still spouting it, and then even basically say there is a limit of simulation to 100k sims per city, http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/The-Benefits-of-Live-Service
very sad when the old ones could hit millions easily

@Evil
Never was much of a fan of Henry Rollins, for some reason.
Plus, I was born in 1980...

EDIT:
[quote name='ezelkow1']So sad, read that this morning, and its about what I expected. Was really hoping for simcity 4 + better graphics + larger cities and interactions between cities + more buildings/stuff to do/etc. Of course they did the exact opposite and made it the 'The Sims' city and shrank everything and made it all online collaboration completing defeating the spirit of simcity[/QUOTE]
{stares at my untouched retail copy of SimCity 4: Deluxe}

EDIT 2:
The saddest part though is the removal of features for obvious inclusion as paid DLC later on like various transportation systems and probably border expansion and transportation across borders

Also its funny how EA completely forgot their original BS excuse for constant connection required. Originally it was to 'offload all the processing for the massive simulation to their servers'. If that was the case, then why have such limited size of everything, shouldnt you be able to simulate NYC if your offloading the heavy duty simulation processing to EA's servers? but then again they stopped spouting that after all the anti-drm talk started
"Always online DRM" is just another way to try to protect their game from massive piracy and 2nd-hand sales.
It's the old UbiSoft "UPlay" trick; EA trick for Darkspore and C&C4; MMO trick; and Blizzard D3 trick.

[quote name='MysterD']@Evil
Never was much of a fan of Henry Rollins, for some reason.
Plus, I was born in 1980...[/QUOTE]

Good point the band hasn't been very relevant since the late 80's. :cry:

I was not a fan of Rollins Band. Though I like the spoken word stuff Rollins has done.

I didn't realize he was into this crazy hardcore/punk band called Black Flag until after I was interested in his spoken world stuff. There was actually recent news that two bands with former Black Flag members are going to reunite.

One known as "Black Flag" (releasing a new album) and the other known as "Flag" (playing old Black Flag tunes).

Rollins is going to absent from both I believe. Black Flag as a band had a ridiculous amount of lineup changes through the years (14 former members in a decade of existance).

I'm hoping some of the DLC are tributes to Black Flag songs. However, I'm guessing they chose it as traditional "anarchy" and "piracy" symbol.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']If it has these guys it will be.

flag2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Only if they're double-heading with (image below)

If you don't get it:
Adam Ant & Black Flag* :lol:
*Black Flag is/was a brand of insecticide

Adam_and_the_Ants_1981.jpg

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Good point the band has been very relevant since the late 80's. :cry:

I was not a fan of Rollins Band. Though I like the spoken word stuff Rollins has done.

I didn't realize he was into this crazy hardcore/punk band called Black Flag until after I was interested in his spoken world stuff.[/QUOTE]
I never really delved into Rollins spoken-word stuff; nor his Black Flag days.
I'm not gonna catch onto every craze, you know. Still haven't.
Maybe one day I will...?
I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back