The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bloodling']Even if the game wasn't F2P, they'd still sell those items and lots of people would still buy them. They wouldn't sell as many, but they'd get a ton of money if they just sold the game 5 dollars or something.[/QUOTE]

I imagine it's the same mentality that makes these Steam sales work. I will probably never play Stronghold, Dawn of War, Call of Juarez, Two Worlds II, Empire Total War or Hard Reset, but I own them all because they were cheap as hell at the time. I'll eventually try DOTA 2, once it's free and easy as pie to get access to, if I had to pay even a nickel for it, I'd never bother.

[quote name='bloodling']Even if the game wasn't F2P, they'd still sell those items and lots of people would still buy them. They wouldn't sell as many, but they'd get a ton of money if they just sold the game 5 dollars or something.[/QUOTE]

Their main competitor is League of Legends which is also free to play. If they want to compete and attract people from that game they had to make Dota 2 F2P.

If someone isn't willing to pay for DOTA 2, I doubt they're willing to pay much for decorative in-game items. I guess that since League of Legends is F2P, it made more sense to make DOTA 2 F2P as well, but I just don't understand why League of Legends was F2P in the first place.

[quote name='bloodling']If someone isn't willing to pay for DOTA 2, I doubt they're willing to pay much for decorative in-game items.[/QUOTE]

Years of research and sales data disagree with you. People are much, much more likely to drop a few bucks on a game they tried out because it was free than they are to spend 3-5 times as much to buy the game in the first place. This is why you see a lot of games trying to nickle and dime with DLC, and I suspect why we're seeing such good sales on a lot of base games not long after launch these days.

Article about TF2's massive revenue spike after going F2P: http://www.strategyinformer.com/new...ing-free-to-play-earned-12-times-more-revenue

Never underestimate how much people will pay on useless virtual junk. The hardest part of getting someone to play your game is getting them in the door. Free gets people in the door. Charging for they have to really want it.

Then once you have a captive audience you put all the junk food and trashy magazines near the checkout and profit.

I don't know how I almost missed that GMG deal on Sleeping Dogs. I've never bought anything on that site, but I have received a bunch of free stuff from them and accumulated $8 credit. So they could of paid me $0.10 to take Sleeping Dogs or I could have given them $3.90 and received $6 credit. I choose the latter. Pretty awesome deal.

[quote name='bloodling']If someone isn't willing to pay for DOTA 2, I doubt they're willing to pay much for decorative in-game items. I guess that since League of Legends is F2P, it made more sense to make DOTA 2 F2P as well, but I just don't understand why League of Legends was F2P in the first place.[/QUOTE]

That is the same as asking why would a game like Heroes of Newerth, or HoN, not be F2P (is it now or is it completely dead now?) or asking why there is "Apple Tax" or a massively cheaper equivalent item. They are all strategies to try and sell either a product or a service. The only reason any of them are the way they are is because some figured it would be a good idea and ultimately be more profitable.

Had all games from day one been F2P and now Pay-2-Play games were coming out you would be asking the exact opposite question.

Sure, they are going to get a lot more money from those in-game items, but they will of course lose the money that lots of gamers would've gladly paid for the game. I guess it kind of equals out in the end. And I do understand that since LoL is free, it was a much easier decision for them. I guess I was just doubtful about this since personally, I never buy those items.

[quote name='bloodling']Sure, they are going to get a lot more money from those in-game items, but they will of course lose the money that lots of gamers would've gladly paid for the game. I guess it kinds of equals out in the end. And I do understand that since LoL is free, it was a much easier decision for them. I guess I was just doubtful about this since personally, I never buy those items.[/QUOTE]

I know someone personally that has spent $100 or more dollars, I don't know the exact amount but it is at least $100, on League of Legends. What F2P has that the other doesn't is that while many won't pay anything the games allow those that do to ultimately pay way more than had it been an outright retail release with no dlc.

[quote name='Kaltic']I know someone personally that has spent $100 or more dollars, I don't know the exact amount but it is at least $100, on League of Legends. What F2P has that the other doesn't is that while many won't pay anything the games allow those that do to ultimately pay way more than had it been an outright retail release with no dlc.[/QUOTE]
Those people would've most likely bought the game anyway. I can't imagine someone spending so much on that stuff, but not willing to pay for the game. But I do understand all the other arguments and I thank you guys for explaining them to me.

[quote name='MysterD']Bah, I still got Thief 2: The Metal Age (Retail copy on discs) from Thief Collection in my backlog. :whistle2:X

EDIT:
You seriously wouldn't believe my backlog.
Some if it even includes Starcraft: Battle Chest + StarCraft 2 are on there (Retail); Homeworld 1 & 2 (Retail discs).[/QUOTE]

You ain't played Starcraft? I bought it on launch and played for years!

[quote name='MysterD']I bought those LONG ago at Retail.
I ain't seen them anywhere digitally for sale. :([/QUOTE]

Still have my old homeworld beta CD someone in this collection I got. What a great game.

[quote name='bloodling']Sure, they are going to get a lot more money from those in-game items, but they will of course lose the money that lots of gamers would've gladly paid for the game. I guess it kind of equals out in the end. And I do understand that since LoL is free, it was a much easier decision for them. I guess I was just doubtful about this since personally, I never buy those items.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but $3.00 or less is the price point for most people's stupid button. If they charge $10.00 for DOTA 2, people will go "Well... I mean LoL is free, I've got this big backlog, etc." If DOTA 2 is free, and they're playing it, having a good time, and a pop up says "Hey, buy this awesome cool hat for $1.50 right now!" A lot of people will go, "What's a buck fifty? Gimme that hat!" Money is made. It's virtual junk, they'll probably never do anything with it, but it was only a dollar fifty.

If you need proof of this mentality, please visit the Avatar market on XBL.

so far I've only bought Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas. Come on Steam, glitch out so I can buy again. :bouncy:
Still waiting for the holiday sale to start......
i know it started but it seems really weak this year. this is a warning to new cags, get out while you can. ;)

[quote name='sunasun']so far I've only bought Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas. Come on Steam, glitch out so I can buy again. :bouncy:
Still waiting for the holiday sale to start......
i know it started but it seems really weak this year. this is a warning to new cags, get out while you can. ;)
[/QUOTE]

Have to agree. I don't know if it shows how weak the sale is or how sick I am, but I've been sitting here for two days going, "I wish there was something really cool to buy..." Everything I've purchased has been Amazon or GOG, other than the Splinter Cell bundle for $11.00.

Have yet to buy anything from Steam this sale. Bought Fear 1 from Amazon and Serious Sam Franchise shortly before the bigger stuff kicked off.

I just got my one year of service badge, so it's kind of fitting that I had one of those Steam veteran moments (I think it's safe to say it's one) where I saw that Sequence is $1.24 and I thought, hmmm, that's not a bad price, I'll pick it up, only to find out I had already bought it. I know it's blasphemy, but I really need to make a dent in my backlog before the Summer Sale.

Steam just isn't what it used to be ... competition has undercut them and I think they're getting soft from being on top for too long. Funny thing is, everything still activates on Steam, you just buy it elsewhere for less ... is this the virtual equivalent of the Best Buy "Amazon show room" effect?

[quote name='etcrane']Steam just isn't what it used to be ... competition has undercut them and I think they're getting soft from being on top for too long. Funny thing is, everything still activates on Steam, you just buy it elsewhere for less ... is this the virtual equivalent of the Best Buy "Amazon show room" effect?[/QUOTE]

Yep, this thread should be called The Games That Activate on Steam Deal Thread.

[quote name='CrimsonTribe']I just got my one year of service badge, so it's kind of fitting that I had one of those Steam veteran moments (I think it's safe to say it's one) where I saw that Sequence is $1.24 and I thought, hmmm, that's not a bad price, I'll pick it up, only to find out I had already bought it. I know it's blasphemy, but I really need to make a dent in my backlog before the Summer Sale.[/QUOTE]

I have 165 Steam games, I've beaten four of them. I guess I can't really beat games like Telltale Poker (0.99 on sale!), but still... I'm out of control.

[quote name='asheskitty']
I feel pressured by my CAG peers to bit on the DoW pack @ $10. From some reading DoW1 seems to be standard RTS faire. DoW2 seems to be a more tactical game. Is this correct? Are they worth it for single player?[/QUOTE]

Yes, DoW is the "standard" RTS and DoW2 is more tactical. I never played Multiplayer (besides Last Standalone on the free weekend, and was GREAT) and can tell you that if you like that kind of game you will love singleplayer. Everything is AWESOME on the WH universe. I loved Space Hulk back then... going through shadow of the hornet rat (very difficult game)... and back to 40k with DoW/DoW2 series. I'm thinking seriously about grabing this pack, besides already having 3 of those games on steam (I still haven't played Retribution, and the $ diff is ridiculous... and all DLC and the old games, which I owned retail but lost them)

[quote name='MysterD']
Rainbow 6 games are MUCH more tactical and they are actually shooters.
I really liked R6 Vegas 1 + 2.

I kind of sucked at GRAW1 - never finished.
Never even installed or began GRAW2.
[/QUOTE]

Can't recommend RS:V1 on Windows 7. Played V2 and loved that game, so I bought V1. Getting that game to run is really awful... and then going back to desktop so often. I believe is because compability, maybe on Win XP it works fine

You should play GRAW2, is a better game than 1. If you can stand old graphics, the firsts Ghost recon is really great... and difficult. Is the best of the series IMHO

All I know is I was on my phone earlier and I kept seeing this a bunch of times.

Q6Ye.jpeg

Say what you want about the sale as a whole and it may not be everyone's cup of tea but it's still a great deal.

[quote name='Mooby']I'll admit, although I have zero interest in modern RTS games, the DoW pack was the first great deal I've seen on Steam.[/QUOTE]

I concur

[quote name='AgentW']CAGs, I mentioned not too long ago that the Ravaged Beta turned into a retail key, but apparently it didn't go through, only to a demo copy. It is now a retail copy.

so Free game alert yall. But seeing as this appeared in my steam updates, you should see it soon as well. And devs seems like pretty nice guys on reddit at least.

VmR6t.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the notice. I haven't seen a pop up and my Steam library is so long I never bother looking at it unless I want to install a game so it would have taken me a while to notice on my own.

still debating on CS :GO whats some peoples take on it? Is it as ridiculous as CS: Source I made the mistake of trying to play that and pretty much just kept getting owned.

It's more Counterstrike. For some that's a positive, for others that's a negative. The big difference is that this version has been consoleified and matches are 5v5. If you didn't like CS:S you probably wouldn't enjoy CS:GO.

[quote name='bob_793']still debating on CS :GO whats some peoples take on it? Is it as ridiculous as CS: Source I made the mistake of trying to play that and pretty much just kept getting owned.[/QUOTE]

As a Valve game it'll get cheaper... FAST.

I'm probably gonna bite on the DoW bundle. I kind of want to pick up Unmechanical but I know if I buy it now, I probably won't play it for a year and it'll be in an indie bundle in the next 3 months.

[quote name='diishen']anno 2070 is $19.99 before the 20% off coupon on GF, does anyone know if it's been lower?[/QUOTE]

It was ~$13 during an Ubisoft flash sale once and also part of a 2 for $15 bundle on get games go once iirc.

[quote name='Genocidal']It's more Counterstrike. For some that's a positive, for others that's a negative. The big difference is that this version has been consoleified and matches are 5v5. If you didn't like CS:S you probably wouldn't enjoy CS:GO.[/QUOTE]

I am assuming you are correct UNLESS you don't use matchmaking which you just shouldn't. But seriously if you have played Counter-Strike before your immediate thought will be, "Yay! I played this game in 2000" or whenever the game came out. At least that was how it was for me.

Some people complain about how Call of Duty is the same game every year, but those games in comparison to Counter-Strike "sequels" are the most creative thing in the world. Although you should not look at the newer Counter-Strikes as sequels and merely HD versions of the previous. So the question is... do you want to spend that much on an HD version of a game?

[quote name='Mooby']As a Valve game it'll get cheaper... FAST.[/QUOTE]

You'll get owned in go if that's how your source games went.

Edit: wrong quote. Don't feel like fixing.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Shagrath']Try to do the "verify email" part again, and check your spam folder.

I got to the same step last night and never got an email from them. Did it again this morning and had an email in my junk mail after about a minute. From there, it was smooth sailing until I got to the part where they're all out of keys and won't have any until mid-January.[/QUOTE]

No amount of requesting that email has done me any good, nor has changing what email I'm requesting it to... Not at any time today. I expect they'll cancel my pending order before I get the chance.

same games same discounts. :/ and some games on sale are cheaper elsewhere. honestly if far cry 3 goes on sale for less than 40(hopefully 30 but i doubt it seeing as how the sales arent that steep this year) id be a happy camper. if it doesnt go on sale then ill just pick up scribblenauts and hitman absoultion over at amazon

[quote name='Mooby']
They won't be.
[/QUOTE]

All Capcom games for 50% off.

EDIT: Woah, what the hell is this? Devil May Cry 3 & 4 are more than 50% off!?!?!

[quote name='bob_793']I dont think it would get much cheaper. Being CS is 3$ CS:S is 5$.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, that's bizarre that the base price of CS:S is still $20.

[quote name='Necrotron']It was ~$13 during an Ubisoft flash sale once and also part of a 2 for $15 bundle on get games go once iirc.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the reply, really appreciate the info!!

[quote name='Arben']No amount of requesting that email has done me any good, nor has changing what email I'm requesting it to... Not at any time today. I expect they'll cancel my pending order before I get the chance.[/QUOTE]

I got it to work last night. The email wouldn't go through at all...but I finally got it to go through after the "sale" was over...but I bought 3 packs that were in my pending purchases.

[quote name='Mooby']Hmm, that's bizarre that the base price of CS:S is still $20.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I think they just left it alone b.c CS:GO is supposed to "Unify" the communities. To me though it just looks like it made a 3rd.

Hoping Arma II and TWD gets cheap. I should've got Half Life 2 for 2.50, never played it and don't really know much about it or why everyone loves it.

[quote name='Kaltic']EDIT: Woah, what the hell is this? Devil May Cry 3 & 4 are more than 50% off!?!?![/QUOTE]
DMC4 is $4.75 at GMG with the 30% off voucher ( GMG30-DPLIM-DN831 )

[quote name='nategator']"I don't know if Santa Claus is going to fit in my chimney."[/QUOTE]

No, stop, you're warping my holiday spirit with your Yuletide innuendo.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']There shouldn't be any duped keys. That being said, with GG site being hammered like Santa and Mom (apparently), I suppose anything is possible.[/QUOTE]

This is so wrong. What precisely did you see Mommy doing to Santa Claus?

[quote name='MysterD']Bah, I still got Thief 2: The Metal Age (Retail copy on discs) from Thief Collection in my backlog. :whistle2:X

EDIT:
You seriously wouldn't believe my backlog.
Some if it even includes Starcraft: Battle Chest + StarCraft 2 are on there (Retail); Homeworld 1 & 2 (Retail discs).[/QUOTE]

You, sir, need to leave this thread immediately and go play Homeworld. It is ridiculously good!

[quote name='juanjava']Yes, DoW is the "standard" RTS and DoW2 is more tactical. I never played Multiplayer (besides Last Standalone on the free weekend, and was GREAT) and can tell you that if you like that kind of game you will love singleplayer. Everything is AWESOME on the WH universe. I loved Space Hulk back then... going through shadow of the hornet rat (very difficult game)... and back to 40k with DoW/DoW2 series. I'm thinking seriously about grabing this pack, besides already having 3 of those games on steam (I still haven't played Retribution, and the $ diff is ridiculous... and all DLC and the old games, which I owned retail but lost them)

Can't recommend RS:V1 on Windows 7. Played V2 and loved that game, so I bought V1. Getting that game to run is really awful... and then going back to desktop so often. I believe is because compability, maybe on Win XP it works fine

You should play GRAW2, is a better game than 1. If you can stand old graphics, the firsts Ghost recon is really great... and difficult. Is the best of the series IMHO[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MysterD']
SC games are WAY MORE stealth-orientated "action" games, mostly....
Well, that's a little bit more questionable {on the stealthy-part} on Conviction, BTW. ;)

Rainbow 6 games are MUCH more tactical and they are actually shooters.
I really liked R6 Vegas 1 + 2.

I kind of sucked at GRAW1 - never finished.
Never even installed or began GRAW2.

EDIT:
If you like SC games for their stealth-orientated gameplay, you should be looking at Hitman series; Thief series; & Dishonored.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MysterD']YES!!

Though, I'd say it's easier to get into R6 Vegas series than say GRAW.
GRAW's more tactical.
GRAW's flat-out tough & it doesn't take much for you and/or your teammates to go down or die.

Can't speak on the earlier GR games, though...

EDIT:
Can't speak on the new GR:FS, either.
Though, that looks more COD-ish than GR-ish, to me...
Maybe someone can speak on GR:FS?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that both of you; I really appreciate it. I'm glad to hear DoW1/2 is worth it for single player (reviews seemed to come down on single player a bit hard in a way I didn't trust the review). I think I'll take the chance of the DoW bundle and see if I like it.

Thanks for the heads up on RS:V1 compatability issues. There's reports of a fix here on SPUF. I think I'll bite on RS:V2 maybe RS:V1. (They're $2.50 each atm)

I'll give GRAW2 a chance at $2.50. I'm generally a bit leery of pre-2004 3D, which is why I haven't bit on the Thief or the first two hitman (though I have Contracts and Blood Money in my backlog). I picked up Dishonored yesterday on GG =)

[quote name='Motoki']
All I know is I was on my phone earlier and I kept seeing this a bunch of times.

Q6Ye.jpeg
Say what you want about the sale as a whole and it may not be everyone's cup of tea but it's still a great deal.[/QUOTE]

I hear you. I'm finding it hard to pass up, even though I'm not sure if I'd like it.

[quote name='forthenguyen']Hoping Arma II and TWD gets cheap. I should've got Half Life 2 for 2.50, never played it and don't really know much about it or why everyone loves it.[/QUOTE]

You can get HL2 for 2 and The Orange Box for 4 at Gamefly w/ promo code holiday20

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back