The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CrimsonTribe']I just got my one year of service badge, so it's kind of fitting that I had one of those Steam veteran moments (I think it's safe to say it's one) where I saw that Sequence is $1.24 and I thought, hmmm, that's not a bad price, I'll pick it up, only to find out I had already bought it. I know it's blasphemy, but I really need to make a dent in my backlog before the Summer Sale.[/QUOTE]

What the heck - Good Luck!

[quote name='MysterD']For the most part, yes - most places, Hotline Miami requires Steamworks.

GOG is the ONLY digital distribution store-place where Hotline Miami does NOT use Steamworks, since GOG requires DRM-FREE products there.[/QUOTE]

True and that's why I rarely shop at GOG since I would rather have my games on Steam if possible.

Of orcs and men looks like fun however to me its not worth 20$.
Dear Esther- its not a game?
Total War- I passed that deal last time it happened I can do it again.
[quote name='foltest121']What are people's views on Dear Esther? Is it worth it?[/QUOTE]
From the WTF is video pretty much seems like a pretty art project and that its not a game.

I don't even care for the community choice votes because while the games may interest me, the discounts have been so measly that they're not even beginning to tempt me.

Also, can Dear Esther be in a bundle already so I'm not tempted to pick it up every time it drops to $2.50?

[quote name='foltest121']What are people's views on Dear Esther? Is it worth it?[/QUOTE]

As other people have mentioned, it's hardly a game (much less than even games like Heavy Rain and TWD that some games journalists scoff at for claiming to be a video game). You just walk forward, sometimes explore, and that's really it.

Still, I found it very mellow and enjoyable for quite a while. I thought the narrator (and writer) seemed to build himself a bit too much, maybe thinking he was more "high-art" than it really was. Watching a gameplay video or walkthrough is probably good enough for most, but I don't regret the hour or so I played with it.

I just woke up from a 14 hour flu coma, having worked last night, and now working again. The dailies all look like shit (DOTA2, really?) did I actually miss anything? I don't think I've been away from a sale this long in years.

I left off on page 107, eek.

[quote name='SeymourGams']I just woke up from a 14 hour flu coma, having worked last night, and now working again. The dailies all look like shit (DOTA2, really?) did I actually miss anything? I don't think I've been away from a sale this long in years.[/QUOTE]
Nope nothing to see here move along. Unless you count the GamersGate bethesda screw up yesterday.

[quote name='bob_793']Nope nothing to see here move along. Unless you count the GamersGate bethesda screw up yesterday.[/QUOTE]

I managed to catch a glimpse of that when I hit 'last' and the forum decided to pick a random page in the 140s. Nothing else happened? THAT is depressing.

I thought I bought the two Ys games at a discount but they aren't showing up in my games list. Steam fever dream (band name!)?

[quote name='SeymourGams']I managed to catch a glimpse of that when I hit 'last' and the forum decided to pick a random page in the 140s. Nothing else happened? THAT is depressing.

I thought I bought the two Ys games at a discount but they aren't showing up in my games list. Steam fever dream (band name!)?[/QUOTE]
I can see it now... I call lead singer or drummer. Down the road I can pickup keyboard...

[quote name='SeymourGams']I just woke up from a 14 hour flu coma, having worked last night, and now working again. The dailies all look like shit (DOTA2, really?) did I actually miss anything? I don't think I've been away from a sale this long in years.

I left off on page 107, eek.[/QUOTE]

Dawn of War franchise pack is the best thing today. Sleeping Dogs on gmg for less than 10 with credit or cash back.

[quote name='Wapcaplet']New flash deals are up:

Dear Esther: $2.49 (75%)
Of Orcs & Men: $19.99 (50%)
A whole crapload of Total War stuff[/QUOTE]

Boooooo

I was really hoping Steam or someone would sell Empire + Napolean + all DLC for $5.

Steam sale = Black Friday with no doorbusters.

[quote name='juanjava']I may sound biased, but I believe you can't go wrong with a game of the WH 40k universe. Once you get immersed, you want more... and remember there are WH 40k books :)

If you can get it working (without crashing to desktop so often) Vegas 1 is a great game. That's what makes me mad about it: I REALLY want to play that game![/QUOTE]

Thanks for those votes of confidence. I decided to chance it on Vegas 1 as well. (Worst case, I have an XP install on this machine -- 1GB videos cards really eat a chunk out of available RAM on XP-32bit.)

[quote name='MysterD']You're welcome.

In general for Non-Steam games, if you have issues running OLDER games on newer (Windows) systems, you need to do a few things:
1. Create shortcut for your game (if there isn't one already).
2. Right click on Shortcut; left-click Properties; switch to Compatibility Tab.
2. Run it in Compatibility Mode for an OS the game was actually MADE to work on.
3. If on Win 7 or above, check the boxes for Disable Desktop Composition & Disable Visual Themes (turns off that Aero stuff that interferes often w/ OLDER games).
4. Check the box to "Run Game as Admin."

For Steam games, you don't get these options for your Shortcut when you toss it on your Desktop.
So, go into the actual game folder; find the EXE itself; right-click it to bring Menu up; Go to Step #2 above.
For some of the older games on Steam, you might need to turn OFF the Steam overlay off and/or Steam community for them to run right.
Some older Steam-games, you might need to also change its Game Properties and throw some Command Lines to get them going.[/QUOTE]

Right thanks. I always forget the Disable Desktop Composition. I'm used to having to tweak some of my older non-steam games.

[quote name='MC Kage']Holy fuck at that DoW Franchise pack...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's the first truly awesome deal of the sale thus far (at least at steam). Too bad I already own everything but DoW II Retribution.

Still, I'm toying with the idea of buying the pack just for that one game. Maybe I'll slap it on my secondary account just so I don't feel like I'm loosing the other games.

[quote name='CrimsonTribe']What the heck - Good Luck!
[/QUOTE]

appreciate it

The End - So they don't go into your inventory? I figured if I got it DoW I & II would go there

Has anyone played the DLC for Quantum Conundrum? Worth $1.48? I already own the game from a previous Amazon or indie bundle so I don't need the pass.

[quote name='The End']Yeah, it's the first truly awesome deal of the sale thus far (at least at steam). Too bad I already own everything but DoW II Retribution.

Still, I'm toying with the idea of buying the pack just for that one game. Maybe I'll slap it on my secondary account just so I don't feel like I'm loosing the other games.[/QUOTE]

Well, if you want to experience the finale of the Blood Ravens story, you'll need to play through the Retribution campaign as the Space Marine faction. Replaying the same campaign missions as different factions is a bit weird, though. I agree with others that this is a solid deal: hundreds of hours of RTT/RTS goodness.

[quote name='Fluxy']W668t-4j7di-wkp8e[/QUOTE] Lurked.

Huh, I guess you can't find out a code has been used if you can't have it. I was just told I don't have the base game, and it still says that, post-lurk.

I grabbed a limbo for a present, could kind of see going for Dear Esther after hearing about it forever, but kinda just don't care about it.

(Also, still can't verify with GG!)

[quote name='MC Kage']The End - So they don't go into your inventory? I figured if I got it DoW I & II would go there[/QUOTE]

Do you mean will you get extra copies of the games that you already own if you add that pack to your library? Sadly, no. Rare is the instance on steam where you get extra copies from a game pack. you could probably count them on one hand.

[quote name='The End']Yeah, it's the first truly awesome deal of the sale thus far (at least at steam). Too bad I already own everything but DoW II Retribution.[/QUOTE]
I'm tempted, but I'm hesitant due to the GFWL activation limits (I hate the thought of running out.) :whistle2:(

[quote name='warreni']Lurked.[/QUOTE]
What was the key for?

Closure = 13 x 5
Snapshot = 28 x 13

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Closure = 13 x 5
Snapshot = 28 x 13

[/QUOTE]

Grabbed Closure, thanks!

[quote name='Detruire']I'm tempted, but I'm hesitant due to the GFWL activation limits (I hate the thought of running out.) :whistle2:(

What was the key for?[/QUOTE]

Darksiders 2: Mortis Pack

You know, I already have Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising and Dawn of War: GOTY Edition and I'm not all that into RTS anyways, but I'm so tempted to get the DoW franchise pack just because of how good a deal it is. Damn you CAGs and your influential ways!

Snapshot = 28 x 13

[/QUOTE]

Grabbed Snapshot, but then it dawned on me that I already own it because of HiB 7. So....

there's another Snapshot key hidden here in this post. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/R5HH5-BDX3G-Z8DV6

Snapshot = 28 x 13

[/QUOTE]
Grabbed skyrim thx!
I have no idea whats going on.....

[quote name='Blade']A cold chill runs down my spine whenever I read your name. :shock:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bob_793']Oh god I had to re-read his name thanks to you...... :cold:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Blade']And there's a member called Sacsquash. Sac...squash.

aK6Tz.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Glad to know that my name still stands to incite fear in the masses!

Also picking up Dawn of War Franchise Pack.. it's a way awesome deal!!!

...and biting the bullet on Ace of Spades, I'll consider it an investment and hope that a decent product will come of it in the future. I will be purchasing a four pack to mitigate cost and disperse to family members as Christmas gifts.

[quote name='The End']Do you mean will you get extra copies of the games that you already own if you add that pack to your library? Sadly, no. Rare is the instance on steam where you get extra copies from a game pack. you could probably count them on one hand.[/QUOTE]

Oh aight I see. Thanks kataztrophik too

[quote name='The End']Grabbed Snapshot, but then it dawned on me that I already own it because of HiB 7. So....

there's another Snapshot key hidden here in this post. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/R5HH5-BDX3G-Z8DV6
[/QUOTE]

LOL took snapshot too, felt kinda bad since I just took both so...
there's a Cas920WB-7TBXR-9CMJJter key hidden here in this post

EDIT: Apparently I didn't copy and paste correctly, the proper code is now in the post -__- I fail at this lol

[quote name='kataztrophik']LOL took snapshot too, felt kinda bad since I just took both so...
[/QUOTE]

Wait, we both got Snapshot from that one key?

[quote name='The End']Wait, we both got Snapshot from that one key?[/QUOTE]

No I grabbed Closure earlier, then I grabbed the Snapshot you put up, so essentially I took both of the initial codes

[quote name='kataztrophik']No I grabbed Closure earlier, then I grabbed the Snapshot you put up, so essentially I took both of the initial codes[/QUOTE]

Oh Ok. lol,

[quote name='kataztrophik']LOL took snapshot too, felt kinda bad since I just took both so...

EDIT: Apparently I didn't copy and paste correctly, the proper code is now in the post -__- I fail at this lol[/QUOTE]

Grabbed Caster. Thanks. :)

[quote name='bob_793']Super fun if you like diablo style games. There is no co-op in the first one though.[/QUOTE]
i meant deadlight lol i got the names all mixed up

[quote name='carl7117']how is deadlight? might vote for that[/QUOTE]

I can't say really, but that's what I voted for. Walking Dead has been 50% off several times already (and it will probably be a daily deal later in the sale) and Deponia is already 66% off, so what's the point in voting for that?

[quote name='bob_793']Super fun if you like diablo style games. There is no co-op in the first one though.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if ninja edit or you just really wanted to talk about Torchlight LOL

[quote name='kataztrophik']No I grabbed Closure earlier, then I grabbed the Snapshot you put up, so essentially I took both of the initial codes[/QUOTE]

This entire page looks like some people stayed up too late F5'ing GamersGate ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back