The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
To the people complaining about deals stop buying games every sale. Come back in a year and you will be happy :p

[quote name='Arben']I preferred the ticket booth to coal mining, myself. The possible rewards weren't as high, but the crushing defeats weren't as low.[/QUOTE]
It seems that quite a few of us preferred the tickets.

(That said, I actually got better prizes - AB2 & Defense Grid DLC - from the summer camp than I did last winter - loads of coal and that basketball manager game.)

[quote name='Bizzquik']Has anyone been happy with the Steam sale thus far? Anyone even been mildly content?[/QUOTE]

As a Steam noob I'd say yes: I've dusted off my love for PC gaming only in recent times, so I took advantage of many discounts that most "elder" users have probably seen for the umpteenth time, and caught the opportunity to build up a nice backlog. Add to that some abrupt surprises like bundles and the GG screw-up and I'm happily throwing money at my screen :)

I'm reserving my bitterness for the next winter sale, more or less :bouncy:

[quote name='Bizzquik']Has anyone been happy with the Steam sale thus far? Anyone even been mildly content?[/I][/QUOTE]

im not, but i think its because i (like many others on this site) constantly monitor deals and such, and have probably picked up a good majority of the games at an earlier date. like someone else said, i would have bit on a ton more deals if the prices were a tad bit lower.

[quote name='Bizzquik']Yes. I completely agree.

Has anyone been happy with the Steam sale thus far? Anyone even been mildly content?

Its like the sale went live, and Valve is the last to know. Its like GamersGate's Bethesda screw-up in reverse: "Oh sh*t, the sale started! We better come up with some great prices on some quality games ASAP!"[/QUOTE]

This has been the best Steam sale for me actually since I never buy from Steam and actually bought something this time. I only picked up the DoW pack which was a good price. With limited time and a backlog like everyone else, I've changed my buying where I rank games by category (RPG, FPS, Strategy) and if the list of games in any category is too long or I want to play the 1st game before the second (eg: Witcher 1 before Witcher 2), I just skip it now. This is especially true for single games at 75% off (like the great deal on Sleeping Dogs) since 75% is the minimum discount for me now and I'd probably pick it up at that price only if I want to move it to the top of my queue (sorta why I passed on both Kotor games and many others so far).

I've been mostly buying bundles since the cost/game is lower and mostly avoid newer titles since I'm not in a rush. Sorta like that line from TV where if you haven't watched it (Played it), it's really new to you whether you're paying 9.99 or 4.99. Older games tend to be patched as well and have ultimate/dlc/combined packs already.

Hoping for more old games actually since I'd rather find stuff in the 2.50 - 5.00 range which is more my budget. Still waiting on Freedom Force Pack to go to at least 66% (previous high) off.

It helps when you don't own a lot of stuff (so little bundle overlap) and are patient and don't sleep. I could've picked up the Bethesda pack last night, but just skipped it since I didn't want to spend more than 4.99 per game and would probably play the older ones first before Skyrim anyways. Not in a huge rush since all those games would be a huge time sink.

[quote name='Englando IV']I'm perfectly content with it, and I think it's comparable to any of the previous sales.[/QUOTE]

Really? I think it's one of the worst so far, though it's still early.

I mean, Winter 2011 sale was amazing and summer 2012 was fantastic as well -- I missed out on summer 2011 :(.

xlarge.jpg

tis summer 2012.

Compare those prices to the ones we have now. While yes, most of those same packs have one or two more games in them now, it doesn't make the current publisher packs any less meh; and that also sums up quite a lot of the current sales done so far, in my opinion.

It is that time of the year when I actually participate in the topic instead of just lurking in it :p

But yeah, so far the Steam Sale = underwhelming.
Although the flash on Ys was a nice surprise, was waiting for those.

Dota2 sale was just silly when you can get an invite nowadays for like 2 bucks and only miss out on the cosmetic items (which you wont want at the beginning or ever anyways)

[quote name='Mooby']I've learned my lesson now -- no more waiting on Flash sales![/QUOTE]

But can you stop yourself from checking Steam as soon as you wake up? I can't, good thing too, or I'd have missed out on CameraBag 2, the critically acclaimed sequal to CameraBag 1.

[quote name='Bizzquik']Yes. I completely agree.

Has anyone been happy with the Steam sale thus far? Anyone even been mildly content?

Its like the sale went live, and Valve is the last to know. Its like GamersGate's Bethesda screw-up in reverse: "Oh sh*t, the sale started! We better come up with some great prices on some quality games ASAP!"[/QUOTE]

Sale is garbage for me.

Have not been impressed with sale so far but it's been more because of the game selection than the pricing. Just nothing I really want. I bought a ton during the Summer and BF sales though, so maybe has something to do with it. Ended up buying Silverfall for 3.74 based on recommendations here just to say I bought something. I have Krater, Confrontation, and Game of Dwarves on my list as well, all 4.99, hoping one of them maybe ends up a flash or something.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']I realize this not nessecarily a Steam question but what does everyone think about Diablo 3 for 30 bucks?[/QUOTE]

No. Wait a few more months until another $10 sale.

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']No. Wait a few more months until another $10 sale.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't the only 10 dollar sale it's been on because Toys R Us was doing clearance or something? Not exactly circumstances to bet on.

[quote name='Corpekata']Wasn't the only 10 dollar sale it's been on because Toys R Us was doing clearance or something? Not exactly circumstances to bet on.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Toy R Us had it as clearance for $10 a couple of months ago. I want Diablo 3 but with my backlog, I don't think that I will be playing it for awhile any way.

[quote name='Mooby']I've learned my lesson now -- no more waiting on Flash sales![/QUOTE]

But, you have to at least VOTE on what the next deal will be, to get that Badge and all. ;)

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Yeah Toy R Us had it as clearance for $10 a couple of months ago. I want Diablo 3 but with my backlog, I don't think that I will be playing it for awhile any way.[/QUOTE]

Also, Microsoft Store had D3 for $10 recently, as well.

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']All my friends on steam think this is some sort of monster sale and they're all enjoying it lol.

@JoeFlacco4God your Ravens better beat those pesky Giants today.[/QUOTE]

Your friends are deluded. ;)

...and oh, fuck yeah! SB-XXXV repeat. (Though I'd be happy if they just come out of the game with no additional injuries.)

OK, everyone carry one...

[quote name='MysterD']Also, Microsoft Store had D3 for $10 recently, as well.[/QUOTE]

Really? That must have been the week when I was working on building my computer.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Really? That must have been the week when I was working on building my computer.[/QUOTE]

It all honesty, the in-stock sale only lasted a few hours at best (for D3 that is). I missed it myself as I had to do that lame thing called sleeping, which apparently Mooby has managed to circumvent.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Really? That must have been the week when I was working on building my computer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was around Black Friday.
See this thread.

Skyrim; SW:TOR CE; and TSW were $10, as well...

[quote name='Esmith08']Picked up The Walking Dead for 25% off. I didn't want to pay $25.00 for it, but for a little over $18? Yeah, that works. Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

Its going to be 50% off soon $12.50

[quote name='Esmith08']Picked up The Walking Dead for 25% off. I didn't want to pay $25.00 for it, but for a little over $18? Yeah, that works. Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

Where's the 'smacks head' emoticon?

#-o

...there it is.

has anyone had success contacting steam and getting them to change a completed purchase to the large franchise/collection pack? I bought Chaos Rising and then realized the franchise pack was only $5 more which is the better deal.

[quote name='imac2much']Man, they changed the Deponia potential flash discount to 75% too...[/QUOTE]

Just as a few of us suspected. I guess I can hope it is a flash deal....

[quote name='dbolt']I want Fly'N but 50% is not good enough.[/QUOTE]

Same

[quote name='jamezuva']has anyone had success contacting steam and getting them to change a completed purchase to the large franchise/collection pack? I bought Chaos Rising and then realized the franchise pack was only $5 more which is the better deal.[/QUOTE]

Uh yeah, good luck with that. I'll pray for you.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Just as a few of us suspected. I guess I can hope it is a flash deal....[/QUOTE]

Let's see put some unknown German game that's already 66% off up against a popular ZOMBIES based game from a popular ZOMBIES based TV show made by a popular developer. Did I mention ZOMBIES?

Gee, I wonder which one is going to win?

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']All my friends on steam think this is some sort of monster sale and they're all enjoying it lol. [/QUOTE]

For newbies and people who don't have everything or haven't been around forever or don't follow every single other DD store and look for pricing mistakes maybe it is. Just because it isn't a good sale for some people doesn't mean it's not for everyone. If other people are happy with it then eh, that's fine.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']I realize this not nessecarily a Steam question but what does everyone think about Diablo 3 for 30 bucks?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']No. Wait a few more months until another $10 sale.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Corpekata']Wasn't the only 10 dollar sale it's been on because Toys R Us was doing clearance or something? Not exactly circumstances to bet on.[/QUOTE]

It was also $10 on the Microsoft Black Friday Saturday sale.

[quote name='GreatDoink']How is Soulstorm? I heard it was... not good.

I might just pick up Dark Crusade, but if I buy Soulstorm as well... that's the cost of the whole pack right there...[/QUOTE]

It introduces two new and interesting factions but I couldn't get past the first few campaign missions with the Sisters of Battle, and I kinda lost interest at that point. If you're making a choice between the two, go with Dark Crusade. The campaign is fun and playing as Necrons is cool.

I've had my eye on some games in the Tom Clancy pack, but I really only want to get one, maybe two games from it at most. Would Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 be good choices?

Also.
Magic 2013 -50%
Bastion -75%
Wargame: European Escalation -75%
are the next community choice votes. meh.

So the Community Choice games are going to overlap with the daily and flash sales again so it seems. Didn't Wargame EU and Magic already have daily deals?

Thoughts on Stalker?
And what do you guys want me to vote for?
[quote name='Frithsblessing']Something is off with the Stalker bundle. The bundle is 50% but the games individually are 75% off.[/QUOTE]
The bundle is 75% off if you click on the link.

I am in the midst of being horribly disappointed by The Walking Dead. I hope I can put a substantial mini-review together by the end of the sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back