The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't the S.t.a.l.k.e.r bundle cheaper during the summer or last year's christmas sale? And I seem to recall it also including Clear Sky...

Yep, it was 4.99.

Anyway, Stalker is a great series! Highly recommended if you like post apocalyptic games with tense, thrilling atmosphere and simulation elements that really immerse you into the world.

[quote name='dfg']I am in the midst of being horribly disappointed by The Walking Dead. I hope I can put a substantial mini-review together by the end of the sale.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It's just not the right type of game for me. I hate that it gives you all these "options" that ultimately mean nothing.

[quote name='Frithsblessing']I already own STALKER: SoC are the other two games worth getting or are they skippable?[/QUOTE]

They're all great games in their own right. I prefer CoP myself though; with all of the needed mods. I believe the fan favorite is SoC though... I'm not 100% certain.

I finally got around to putting some time into Legend of Fae today. This game is very fun and frantic. Almost like an ADHD puzzle game, and definitely a different take on the "match 3" style popularized by Bejeweled. Thanks again to the folks here who recommended it in one of the past versions of this thread! :)

[quote name='Frithsblessing']I already own STALKER: SoC are the other two games worth getting or are they skippable?[/QUOTE]
SoC is classic, a lot of people enjoy CoP, a lot of people panned CS as junk.

I only played SoC aside from starting CoP for about five minutes once. Other games carried my attention at that point though and I haven't gone back to it.

So, as someone who is curious about the DA franchise, can someone recommend DA:O-UE? I've watched a bunch of reviews and gameplay videos, but can't seemed to get "hooked", like some other games prior to purchase. Can someone maybe draw a parallel to another game? I do love the Mass Effect series (Bioware) and am a fan of the genre in general, but am not sure why DA has never sparked with me.

[quote name='wuxbustah8']I agree. It's just not the right type of game for me. I hate that it gives you all these "options" that ultimately mean nothing.[/QUOTE]

Wow. You two are literally the first two people I've seen that have had anything bad to say about TWD. I hope it gets better for the two of you, I'm still looking forward to playing it once I get it.

[quote name='INCyr']Wow. You two are literally the first two people I've seen that have had anything bad to say about TWD. I hope it gets better for the two of you, I'm still looking forward to playing it once I get it.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely not the game for everyone. It really rides that line between game and choose-your-own-adventure as tight as possible. I feel it is more of the latter, with so called traditional gameplay mechanics thrown in. If you're going in for a more modern style zombie genre game, you might be disappointed, but if you're entering for a heartfelt zombie adventure...you're in for a treat. IMO

[quote name='Neuro5i5']So, as someone who is curious about the DA franchise, can someone recommend DA:O-UE? I've watched a bunch of reviews and gameplay videos, but can't seemed to get "hooked", like some other games prior to purchase. Can someone maybe draw a parallel to another game? I do love the Mass Effect series (Bioware) and am a fan of the genre in general, but am not sure why DA has never sparked with me.[/QUOTE]

I personally love Dragon Age Origins (and hate the sequel but we won't go there right now).

If you like Baldur's Gate or other old RPGs it's along those lines. It's very story oriented heavy on choice and consequence. You have a lot of options for what sort of character you want to play and the beginning origins stories are all different. As you go throughout the game you will make various choices and then see the effect of those.

Gameplaywise you are controlling a team but they will also act on their own if you don't want to micromanage them all. If you want to play it as more of a turn based style you can always pause and contemplate your next move but if you'd rather it be more fast paced you can also just let it run in real time. The battles are area based on one specific map at a time.

In general it's not too grindy but there are some areas that can be, like the dwarf area.

The other thing is there's a TON of content there. The base campaign alone is long but then you also get the expansion and all the DLC in the UE. You can easily spend over 100 hours in this game and more if you want to go through multiple times playing different characters.

The only real downside I can think of is it's long. You can't really play a short campaign so if you don't want to be in for the long haul it might not be for you.

Still, it's one of my favorites and I personally highly recommend it.

[quote name='dfg']I am in the midst of being horribly disappointed by The Walking Dead. I hope I can put a substantial mini-review together by the end of the sale.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how far you are, but until probably the mid of the second episode (whenever you get to the dairy farm) I 100% agreed. Then it really starts to pick up and you ignore some of the silly mechanics of the game and actually start paying attention to the story because it practically makes you. Give it a bit more of a chance and if you aren't invested by the 3rd episode quit. It is definitely more choose your own adventure or Myst with speech, but I think it not only overcomes its weak gameplay and instead becomes its own unique entity.

[quote name='plft']Repeating already? Seems like they didn't fix that issue with the summer sale.[/QUOTE]
In some ways it isn't a problem as it gives a chance for a game to get discounted again if you happened to miss it the first time around. It can still be annoying but I don't mind it happening as it might benefit me one of these times.

[quote name='wuxbustah8']I agree. It's just not the right type of game for me. I hate that it gives you all these "options" that ultimately mean nothing.[/QUOTE]
It's about the journey, not the destination.

[quote name='INCyr']Wow. You two are literally the first two people I've seen that have had anything bad to say about TWD. I hope it gets better for the two of you, I'm still looking forward to playing it once I get it.[/QUOTE]

What? People don't agree with the majority? The horrors! :p

Seriously though, I picked it up a while back from Gamersgate for $11 with the IGN discount (RIP) because everyone was going on and on about it and then proceeded to never play it ahem

It obviously won't influence my decision to buy since I already did but I'd be curious to hear various opinions on it nonetheless. Might be nice to hear the bad points since people have already hyped it up so much.

Oh and for people who may have missed this you can get it at Gamefly for $10 if you use the code HOLIDAY20. It still activates on Steam.

[quote name='Motoki']I personally love Dragon Age Origins (and hate the sequel but we won't go there right now).
If you like Baldur's Gate or other old RPGs it's along those lines. It's very story oriented heavy on choice and consequence. You have a lot of options for what sort of character you want to play and the beginning origins stories are all different. As you go throughout the game you will make various choices and then see the effect of those.

Gameplaywise you are controlling a team but they will also act on their own if you don't want to micromanage them all. If you want to play it as more of a turn based style you can always pause and contemplate your next move but if you'd rather it be more fast paced you can also just let it run in real time. The battles are area based on one specific map at a time.

In general it's not too grindy but there are some areas that can be, like the dwarf area.

The other thing is there's a TON of content there. The base campaign alone is long but then you also get the expansion and all the DLC in the UE. You can easily spend over 100 hours in this game and more if you want to go through multiple times playing different characters.

The only real downside I can think of is it's long. You can't really play a short campaign so if you don't want to be in for the long haul it might not be for you.
Still, it's one of my favorites and I personally highly recommend it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Motoki! It's so much better to hear and understand personal experiences for me then to watch/read "professional" reviews. The fact you say the base campaign is long is actually a plus in my book. I think I may finally pick this up.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']So, as someone who is curious about the DA franchise, can someone recommend DA:O-UE? I've watched a bunch of reviews and gameplay videos, but can't seemed to get "hooked", like some other games prior to purchase. Can someone maybe draw a parallel to another game? I do love the Mass Effect series (Bioware) and am a fan of the genre in general, but am not sure why DA has never sparked with me.[/QUOTE]

I highly recommend DA:O. It may not be the most original fantasy RPG out there in terms of its story-line, but that doesn't make the experience any less deep and rewarding. Gameplay- wise, it's similar to Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights. If you haven't played either of those... Think of action based combat with a high amount of strategy influence.

The combat is point and click with skill usage, you have a party of four that each have a specific role. The game's characters and how you interact with them is what really makes the game shine, similar to what made the Mass Effect series great.

There's a lot more I could go into, but I'm far too tired. :(

[quote name='Drizzt']I finally got around to putting some time into Legend of Fae today. This game is very fun and frantic. Almost like an ADHD puzzle game, and definitely a different take on the "match 3" style popularized by Bejeweled. Thanks again to the folks here who recommended it in one of the past versions of this thread! :)[/QUOTE]

That game was a frustrating journey. I went into it expecting a fun little match 3 game and it ended up being a cute version of hell. I forget how to respec the lantern, but I had to have fire up to a certain level, but not too far. And, I also needed health regen or poison ward to beat the final boss.

I recommend Lone Survivor(A true survival horror experience) and the Dragon Age Origins pack(remember when Bioware made big ambitious games with substance?).

[quote name='Syntax Error']SoC is classic, a lot of people enjoy CoP, a lot of people panned CS as junk.

I only played SoC aside from starting CoP for about five minutes once. Other games carried my attention at that point though and I haven't gone back to it.[/QUOTE]

I was researching the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games as well, looking to pick up CoP and CS. From what I read, there's a popular mod out there (CS: Complete) that fixes a lot of the problems with Clear Sky and updates the graphics. I just installed its cousin for SoC (also called "Complete"), and everything seems to be working fine.

[quote name='Slade'](remember when Bioware made big ambitious games with substance?).[/QUOTE]

*sigh*

Oh and re: Legend of Fae. I still like it. I think the real time and split screen adds a different, if somewhat frantic at times, element. I do admit though the difficulty can ramp up later on. Do not be fooled by its cuteness!

I got about an hour or so in (with other survivors in some locked up pharmacy) and just lost interest. I'll give it another go but it wasn't the immediately transcendent experience for me it's been for some.

That's not to criticize anyone else's opinion. I'm definitely the minority here. I might be that one guy on Rotten Tomatoes who makes up the "6% Rotten" on a "94% Fresh" acclaimed move.

[quote name='tham1988']i was thinking I would buy walking dead when I got up but $12.50 just seems too high[/QUOTE]

Then consider the Amazon EC if you have some promo credits. Many are hoping it will be on sale for

Story wise (and conversation tree wise), I found DAO to be even more successful than Mass Effect in terms of making you feel immersed as the main character and feeling like the decisions you're making will matter at the end (and throughout the course of the game, and you get to have lots of fun balancing how and how close your character relate to each and every teammate ), even for the small random side missions.

It's slower than ME because the gameplay style itself is slower, but like Motoki said you can choose to micromanage or not.

I would also highly recommend it.

Three days in and I only spent $1.24 so far. I bought that Total War Shogun Battles game (that iOS port).

Going to buy other games near the end of the sale like Penny Arcade Ep 3.

Is there a reason for me to get Stalker if I just got Fallout New Vegas UE? I guess I am comparing the two because I know they're both an rpg fps in a post apocalyptic setting.

If you've ever played WoW or Everquest, the controls in DA are similar to that. Hit 1 to cast fireball, 2 to cast heal, etc. The ability to pause is in there, but I never use it. I set up my AI team mates to perform specific spells in order via tactic slots, and just sit in the back and bomb on them.

If you enjoy the relationships and conversations in Mass Effect, they're there in spades in DA. In fact, often times the best conversations are when you take a specific party member to an area that triggers their personal dialogue.

There's also a lot of choices to make during the individual quests, even some as dark as whether or not to murder children, but I did find that the ending amounted to a single choice made at the last minute. That was disappointing. All that said, I recommend DA to everyone.

Edit: And I just bought another copy of DA:O for my girlfriend.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Is there a reason for me to get Stalker if I just got Fallout New Vegas UE?[/QUOTE]
Stalker is much more gritty and "realistic" without the Fallout franchise's quirky retro-future kitsch and occasional goofy characters. It has the same "Soviet" bleakness from Metro 2033 or Cryostasis. You go through it largely alone, never make friends and there's only a mild RPG element to it. Stalker is really more FPS than RPG; you have some missions and "conversations" (with almost no dialogue options) and can join a faction but no skill points, karma, extended dialogue, NPC allies or other traditional RPG mechanics.

They're two very different games within the same broader genre.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Is there a reason for me to get Stalker if I just got Fallout New Vegas UE? I guess I am comparing the two because I know they're both an rpg fps in a post apocalyptic setting.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that sort of like comparing a tomato and a pineapple because they are both fruit? To me S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is more of a FPS with RPG elements, while Fallout NV is an open world RPG with optional first person combat.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Three days in and I only spent $1.24 so far. I bought that Total War Shogun Battles game (that iOS port).
[/QUOTE]

FWIW Total War Battles will give you a steam code of the Total War Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai Sendai Clan DLC. You have to actually go into the game to get it. It's in one of the menu options.

The iOS and Android versions force you to beat the game to get that Steam key but the PC version just out and out gives it to you.

[quote name='Detruire']Ah, DA:O UE. I've been wanting that for quite a while, but they've still got it price-jacked to $12.5 :bomb:[/QUOTE]

It is showing $7.49 for me. This is in the US.

I've played the base game in DA:O, enjoyed it mostly, played on easy though since I'm bad at tactical combat. How does the expansion and dlc compare?

[quote name='Syntax Error']I got about an hour or so in (with other survivors in some locked up pharmacy) and just lost interest. I'll give it another go but it wasn't the immediately transcendent experience for me it's been for some.

That's not to criticize anyone else's opinion. I'm definitely the minority here. I might be that one guy on Rotten Tomatoes who makes up the "6% Rotten" on a "94% Fresh" acclaimed move.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I assumed you were still early on. Like I said in my earlier post, wait until the dairy farm in episode 2 before quitting. By then you will have had time to bond with the characters and I feel that is where you start actually feeling what they do. If you make it past the freezer scene and don't care anymore, then feel free to quit cause it won't resonate with you.

** Make sure your dialog choices are YOURS, don't try to game the best options or you won't care. You can't lose, so just pretend it was you in whatever you get into.

Regarding the freezer #SPOILER I knew the game had caught me because I definitely acknowledged that my distaste for Larry is what let me allow Kenny to kill him. #SPOILER

[quote name='Detruire']Ah, DA:O UE. I've been wanting that for quite a while, but they've still got it price-jacked to $12.5 :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Isn't it showing as a Flash Sale for 75% off ($7.49)?

Thanks everyone for the passionate recommendations! It's that passion which has now convinced me to finally enter the DA world. :applause:

[quote name='nosferatu51']
** Make sure your dialog choices are YOURS, don't try to game the best options or you won't care. [/QUOTE]

Yep. My first play through was the typical Boy Scout inside of me. The next play though I was going to release my inner Hyde. :twisted:

I feel this is the worse Steam sale yet as well, and not because I own 90% of what has been on sale, I don't let that influence how good the sale still is to me. My problem is the discounts. Games that we have seen for 75% off before are going for 66% off, and instead of something going for at least 66-75% off we are seeing 50% off for some stuff (Fly'N being a prime example of something that would/should have been cheaper).

I noticed this a little bit in the Summer Sale but thought it was isolated to just EA games as they went from the normal 75% off to 70% off during that sale, but now it seems nearly everything is creeping up in price.

re: DAO
[quote name='Broken Cage']
There's also a lot of choices to make during the individual quests, even some as dark as whether or not to murder children, but I did find that the ending ammounted to a single choice made at the last minute. That was disappointing. All that said, I recommend DA to everyone.[/QUOTE]

I get that and a lot of the big cinematic ending is just based on that choice (not to mention a certain choice that you can potentially make gets negated in the expansion 'a wizard did it' style).

One thing I did like though is all the little epilogues which while just text were a nice touch that followed up on a lot of the little choices you may have made throughout the game and what happened with those.

[quote name='Motoki']
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Neuro5i5']The fact you say the base campaign is long is actually a plus in my book. I think I may finally pick this up.[/QUOTE]

I've got 124 hours into it right now. That's a single campaign (fairly thorough) playthrough and 3/4 of the DLC. I could easily go back and begin play as one of the other characters in my group and, as Motoki pointed out, the beginning couple of hours is completely different for each.

Excellent game and great characters.

[quote name='Motoki']I personally love Dragon Age Origins (and hate the sequel but we won't go there right now).

Still, it's one of my favorites and I personally highly recommend it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on all counts (including its length as a downside, it's still my most played game on Steam... and ugh, that sequel). I played through 1/3 of the game just enjoying the story and being immersed in the atmosphere, but I found the game too easy. I then cranked the difficulty to insane and then found myself enjoying the game for entirely different reasons (micromanaging and min-maxing in order to survive the brutality). Incredibly fun either way!

Seems a few people are picking up DA:O:UE:OMGSUBTITLES, so I will recommend this mod:

http://modsreloaded.com/skip-the-fade

Normally, I would never ever ever recommend a mod that skips a chunk of a game, especially for the first playthrough, but I found this part of the game to be such a huge slog, and it completely killed all the enthusiasm I had for my playthrough, which was otherwise a lot of fun.

[quote name='plft']I've played the base game in DA:O, enjoyed it mostly, played on easy though since I'm bad at tactical combat. How does the expansion and dlc compare?[/QUOTE]
The DLC consists of a prelude mission for Leliana which is pretty good, an epilogue where you seek out Morrigan which is... okay. I guess you get to see more Morrigan. Some expanded areas within the base game that are nicely tied in and worth doing as part of the main quest (including a golem NPC party companion which is integrated nicely). There's also some DLC for you to play as a darkspawn I never got around to doing.

The expansion is hit and miss. It's not as good as the base game and they really sort of screw with the personality of one of the NPCs. It's worth doing in its own right and lets you continue using your DA:O character but playing it right after DA:O lets you see how it's not as deep (even allowing for its much shorter length). I could write up a much longer criticism but that's just me being a purist.

[quote name='plft']I've played the base game in DA:O, enjoyed it mostly, played on easy though since I'm bad at tactical combat. How does the expansion and dlc compare?[/QUOTE]

Honestly? I didn't care for a lot of the DLC as much. It was pretty bad about reusing areas, which is something they carried over into DA2. Also some of them are cheats like the presents DLC.

The best of the bunch and the one with the most content by far is the expansion but even that I didn't like as much as the base game. The writing seemed, hmm, a little different and not as good and a lot of it just felt tacked on for the sake of making more game rather than a real continuation. Some of the new companions there I didn't care for as much either.

Awakenings is still better than most moden RPGs but it just doesn't hold up as well when compared to the main campaign, imho.

[quote name='Syntax Error']The DLC consists of a prelude mission for Leliana which is pretty good, an epilogue where you seek out Morrigan which is... okay. I guess you get to see more Morrigan. Some expanded areas within the base game that are nicely tied in and worth doing as part of the main quest (including a golem NPC party companion which is integrated nicely). There's also some DLC for you to play as a darkspawn I never got around to doing.
[/quote]

That Morrigan one is basically blablabla random people I don't care about blablabla reused areas, ohai Morrigan! THE END. To NOT be continued in Dragon Age 2

The expansion is hit and miss. It's not as good as the base game and they really sort of screw with the personality of one of the NPCs. It's worth doing in its own right and lets you continue using your DA:O character but playing it right after DA:O lets you see how it's not as deep (even allowing for its much shorter length). I could write up a much longer criticism but that's just me being a purist.

Yeah I could also go on and on about how much crappier the DLC and expansion are but eh TL;DFLW (Too Long Didn't Feel Like Writing) opinion is if you have the base the DLC is not really worth it unless you are an absolute completionist.

Im going to be the one person to say they played it and just never liked it. It wasn't a bad game by any means though.

ENCHANTING? ENCHANTING!!!!!!!!!!! the most memorable part for me...

I liked everything but the Witch DLC, I found that to be way too short, and completely unnecessary.

It's not that TWD is a bad game. It's one of only a few I've ever actually finished on Steam. It just wasn't for me. All the hype didn't help, and it's also based on my favorite TV show and for me it just didn't live up to what I wanted out of it.

[quote name='bob_793']Im going to be the one person to say they played it and just never liked it. It wasn't a bad game by any means though.

ENCHANTING? ENCHANTING!!!!!!!!!!! the most memorable part for me...[/QUOTE]

Enchantment, Sandal, enchantment...

[quote name='wuxbustah8']It's not that TWD is a bad game. It's one of only a few I've ever actually finished on Steam. It just wasn't for me. All the hype didn't help, and it's also based on my favorite TV show and for me it just didn't live up to what I wanted out of it.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how I feel about the TV show compared to the comics. Though it does have some moments of greatness.

I played about ten minutes of The Walking Dead game and plan to maybe get back to it sometime.

[/QUOTE]

Nabbed DA:O UE and The Walking Dead (dont want to deal with Gamefly...they closed my account after they didn't receive a game back a couple years ago...I still think I sent it). Dragon Age was on my PS3 backlog before i sold it and The Walking Dead has been a game I've been wanting to play but was waiting for a 75% off sale :D I'm happy.

Is Dragon Age 2 worth avoiding if I enjoy the first? I know it's Origin and I'll hate signing up for another service. I'm pretty lazy and like everything in one spot (not a true CAG)...I repurchased some games I had back on DirectDrive along time ago...recently that were cheap haha

[quote name='KaOTiK']I feel this is the worse Steam sale yet as well, and not because I own 90% of what has been on sale, I don't let that influence how good the sale still is to me.[/QUOTE]
No, it's lackluster. Also the elimination of the contests and lengthening the flash sales to 12 hours a pop means there's very little "event" feel it any longer. It's just sort of another sale.

I know a lot of people complained about previous aspects of the sale and I won't judge whether or not Steam should have listened to Person A or Person B*. The net result regardless is a more sterile event.

Really, I imagine they listened to their accountants and decided that game give-aways and coupons weren't actually adding to the bottom line. You could have a thousand anti-contest banshees wailing and Valve wouldn't care if the contests were upping profits any significant percent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back