The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Broken Cage']I guess that really depends on your gaming habits. I'm the type that can play a good game more than once. I've beaten Bully five times, and own it on the PS2 and the Xbox 360. I've played through Half-Life countless times. Generally a 100 hour game I'll finish once, if that, and then never play it again because the investment is too great.

Regardless, Dishonored is a great game, regardless of its length. Homefront would have still been crap if they'd made it a thousand hours long. (Yes, this is personal opinion, but it's still right.)[/QUOTE]

The thing about Homefront (aside from the ridiculous follow me crap) is that it was actually getting good at the very end on the bridge. As a player, I was like "hey, now it's fun...oh wait, it's over". That feeling at the end made me feel like I wanted more as opposed to pooping on the entire game. Just my opinion, though, as I suspect I'm in the minority on this one.

[quote name='aronater']Gotta love how they can take Mass Effect 1 and 2; just two games of a three game series with a ton of DLC, and call it a franchise pack.

Oh, and then charge an extra $2.50 for the bundle vs. buying each separately.[/QUOTE]

In fairness it's all the Mass Effect they've got and can sell on Steam.

Booooooo these daily deals are horrible...
Almost bought mass effect until I realized no ME:3. (fuck you origin)
Everyone got Company of Heroes for a $
Of Orcs and men was already a flash deal I thought.
Sonic.... -0% off!!!!

Is Mass Effect 1 for $5 a good deal? I played 2 and 3 on console but never picked up the first one.

[quote name='aronater']Gotta love how they can take Mass Effect 1 and 2; just two games of a three game series with a ton of DLC, and call it a franchise pack.[/QUOTE]

And what would you like Valve to do? Add Mass Effect 3...oh wait, right...

[quote name='veb']
Is Mass Effect 1 for $5 a good deal? I played 2 and 3 on console but never picked up the first one. [/QUOTE]

Speaking of gameplay, generally it's either the best (if you're RPG biased) or second best (if you're combat biased) in the series. Is $5 a good deal strictly financially speaking...not great, but so-so. It's been cheaper (off Steam).

[quote name='asheskitty']Following the Amazon thread for the better part of a year, that doesn't seem to be true (or at least the usual case).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you'd have to ask Tony as to how exactly Amazon acquires their Steam keys but either way, for me, Amazon charges tax so when they price match Steam it doesn't save me money. :cry:

[quote name='veb']Is Mass Effect 1 for $5 a good deal? I played 2 and 3 on console but never picked up the first one.[/QUOTE]
Yeah in all farness to me its a 100% differnt game. Its actually an RPG. Theres loot such as bullet types, guns, armor. I liked it more than 2 and 3. PLUS IT HAS ELEVATORS!!!!!!!!

[quote name='veb']Is Mass Effect 1 for $5 a good deal? I played 2 and 3 on console but never picked up the first one.[/QUOTE]

That's as low as I've seen it go a-la-carte. Tony's had it in a few bundles, though now the (EA) emphasis is on selling the whole trilogy pack. Check the price trackers in my sig.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']And what would you like Valve to do? Add Mass Effect 3...oh wait, right...[/QUOTE]

Nope, no issue with Steam only selling the first 2 (and no DLC), just take out the word franchise.

[quote name='bob_793']Yeah in all farness to me its a 100% differnt game. Its actually an RPG. Theres loot such as bullet types, guns, armor. I liked it more than 2 and 3. PLUS IT HAS ELEVATORS!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]
Bro, you help me get some of those Lego deals now?

[quote name='LoLRoflCopter']Bro, you help me get some of those Lego deals now?[/QUOTE]
Technically at work. Ill be back by 7p.m. eastern at the latest thats when ill be able to help you out.
I like how hearth fire is 51% off shouldnt that be free b/c technically we pretty much already have it with mods. Its not like they can say its less buggy or anything :p

[quote name='Purple Flames']Once again, nothing for me today.[/QUOTE]

I at least got CoD 1,2 and UO. Figure $5.00 a pop is as low as it's ever going to get.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']People should remember that Valve doesn't set the prices on Steam; they can nudge and offer-up suggestions but it's ultimately up to the developers/publishers.

Places like Amazon and GMG simply eat-it on their end and often take losses in order to match/beat the Steam prices.[/QUOTE]
That's not entirely true. Tony has mentioned many times that he is negotiating a sale with a particular publisher and times that a publisher has backed out (Activision) or decided not to run a sale again (SE). Or that a sale was really popular so the publisher was excited to try a different bundle. They don't just buy a pile of keys at wholesale and sell them at a loss; they do much the same thing as Steam does in working out pricing with the publishers.

[quote name='jshackles']Day 5 of the Steam sale, and I've spent more on the GamersGate Bethesda screwup than all of my direct Steam purchases combined. Sad face :([/QUOTE]
And gotten a lot more on a dollar for dollar basis, I'm sure.

[quote name='Abeja']so the ME franchise, can I gift ME1? Same with Alan Wake. I have AW American Nightmare[/QUOTE]
Steam doesn't allow you to gift out duplicates from bundles except in rare exceptions (mainly Valve bundles). The "extra" games are just lost.

[quote name='Abeja']so the ME franchise, can I gift ME1? Same with Alan Wake. I have AW American Nightmare[/QUOTE]

Not sure about Alan Wake, but about ME; why don't you just buy them separately? For some odd reason it comes out cheaper that way.

[quote name='jshackles']Day 5 of the Steam sale, and I've spent more on the GamersGate Bethesda screwup than all of my direct Steam purchases combined. Sad face :([/QUOTE]

I'm pretty much in the same situation. I talked myself into buying a copy of the DoW franchise pack (even thought I already own most of the games) and I also talked myself into buying the last few Tom Clancy games that I didn't already own. Total spent @ Steam Thus far, $24.95.

A couple more days like this and I'll talk myself into buying that simulator pack that Motoki mentioned on day one. The one with the Prison Tycoon games. lol.

I've spent more on Steam by randomly buying cheap gifts for people the past few days than I've spent on purchases for myself (I think just DOW II).

To clarify, that's more a statement on Steam's sales than it is on my generosity.

Same here. I've actually not purchased a single thing for myself so far on Steam during this sale. Though I've gifted seven items to CAGs so far though. :)

By the way, does anybody here own a Remedy game? Can you check and see if the loyalty discount stacks with the sale price on Alan Wake?

I'm trying to decide whether or not the Bethesda bundle warrants more time and devotion than the LucasArts Adventure Pack or the Family Gaming Pack would; the latter collection would be a better buy if I didn't already own Puzzle Quest, realistically the best game in the bundle. At $5 apiece, if I only got one, LucasArts would obviously be the better choice...but they seem superfluous now that I have Hunted, DOOM 3, and Dishonored. Decisions...

[quote name='The End']By the way, does anybody here own a Remedy game? Can you check and see if the loyalty discount stacks with the sale price on Alan Wake?[/QUOTE]
they have a loyalty discount?

[quote name='The End']By the way, does anybody here own a Remedy game? Can you check and see if the loyalty discount stacks with the sale price on Alan Wake?[/QUOTE]

I own American Nightmare. I'm not seeing any discount on Alan Wake.

I own Death Rally, and it doesn't apply the promotion. But they're now listed under separate publisher names (Remedy Entertainment and Remedy Entertainment Ltd.) which might have been the discount glitch fix from a few weeks ago. Anyone who owns American Nightmare could probably shed more light on it.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I own American Nightmare. I'm not seeing any discount on Alan Wake.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Blade']I own Death Rally, and it doesn't apply the promotion. But they're now listed under separate publisher names (Remedy Entertainment and Remedy Entertainment Ltd.) which might have been the discount glitch fix from a few weeks ago. Anyone who owns American Nightmare could probably shed more light on it.[/QUOTE]

Oh OK. I figured that it probably wouldn't stack, but I have a copy of Death Rally in my inventory and I was wondering if I should add it to my library if I wanted to buy Alan Wake. Now I know not to bother (unless I just feel like playing Death Rally).

Thanks guys.

[quote name='bob_793']they have a loyalty discount?[/QUOTE]

Same question. I have AW:AN and I don't see anything applied to AW:vanilla or the franchise.

re: Length of game

I don't use it to judge the quality of a game but it does make a difference for me.

In my younger days I was all about the long games. These days when I have less time due to pesky real life and a huge backlog of games I really appreciate a short but well put together game. I like feeling like I can complete something from start to finish and have a full experience without it taking months and months and meanwhile I feel guilty for spending so much time on one game while others go unplayed.

Now I don't know that a short game is worth $60 but look where we are. It's not like most of us are paying $60 for games anyway.

[quote name='Frithsblessing']I can always tell the dailies are underwhelming when I check in after an hour and there are only a couple new pages.
[/quote]

And 95% of it is 'Nothing for me' 'No deals' 'This sucks' 'This is the worst sale EVER' 'I spent more money at (insert other DD store here)' etc etc

Back to playing KOA: R on Origin.

I'm still waiting for Rhode Island to get their shit together.

[quote name='Blade']I'm trying to decide whether or not the Bethesda bundle warrants more time and devotion than the LucasArts Adventure Pack or the Family Gaming Pack would; the latter collection would be a better buy if I didn't already own Puzzle Quest, realistically the best game in the bundle. At $5 apiece, if I only got one, LucasArts would obviously be the better choice...but they seem superfluous now that I have Hunted, DOOM 3, and Dishonored. Decisions...[/QUOTE]

Mission Runway or Skyrim? Man, that's a tough call.

[quote name='Motoki']re: Length of game

I don't use it to judge the quality of a game but it does make a difference for me.

In my younger days I was all about the long games. These days when I have less time due to pesky real life and a huge backlog of games I really appreciate a short but well put together game. I like feeling like I can complete something from start to finish and have a full experience without it taking months and months and meanwhile I feel guilty for spending so much time on one game while others go unplayed.

Now I don't know that a short game is worth $60 but look where we are. It's not like most of us are paying $60 for games anyway.

And 95% of it is 'Nothing for me' 'No deals' 'This sucks' 'This is the worst sale EVER' 'I spent more money at (insert other DD store here)' etc etc

I'm still waiting for Rhode Island to get their shit together.

Mission Runway or Skyrim? Man, that's a tough call.[/QUOTE]

I have skyrim it bores me and is so pathetic compared to the rest of the series I mean you cant even equip pants and stuff or move things easily, what junk.

Id rather be dressin up Stacy Truman and getting my groove on with Mission Runway anyday over Skyrim.

Sadly no :(

[quote name='BridgetFisher']I have skyrim it bores me and is so pathetic compared to the rest of the series I mean you cant even equip pants and stuff or move things easily, what junk.

Id rather be dressin up Stacy Truman and getting my groove on with Mission Runway anyday over Skyrim.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

That just totally made my morning.

Though I am sure with enough mods you could always dress up a Skyrim character to look like a tragic runway trainwreck like Stacy Truman.

Buy Alan Wake if you haven't. I've played through it several times on Xbox 360, it's definitely my favorite game of this generation, that's not a stretch. I'm considering getting it on Steam just to play through it again and enjoy the feeling of getting achievements for it again.

[quote name='BridgetFisher']I have skyrim it bores me and is so pathetic compared to the rest of the series I mean you cant even equip pants and stuff or move things easily, what junk.

Id rather be dressin up Stacy Truman and getting my groove on with Mission Runway anyday over Skyrim.[/QUOTE]

:applause:... Is there a "slow clap" smiley I could use instead?

[quote name='Motoki']Mission Runway or Skyrim? Man, that's a tough call.[/QUOTE]

The thing is, I already played Skyrim to death. To add in on your conversation a few pages ago, Steam Workshop does wonders for the game with its automatic updating. Never installed any user-created game content, though; the 40-some-odd environment enhancers and high-resolution textures were enough for me. Maybe some day.

Also, lol @ BridgetFisher

[quote name='Frithsblessing']I can always tell the dailies are underwhelming when I check in after an hour and there are only a couple new pages.

Back to playing KOA: R on Origin.[/QUOTE]

Origin on the Steam thread. /rage ^_~

[quote name='Motoki']re: Length of game

Mission Runway or Skyrim? Man, that's a tough call.[/QUOTE]

For the big long games (e.g. GTA4), I really need to be at a point where I think I'll have time to finish in reasonable Calendar time.

I'm really surprised people still have any expectations/hopes for the Steam sale. That said, Tomorrow's the 25th which I always found to be a memorable day on the steam sale.

We need a mash-up. I need better fashion accessories in Skyrim. Mission Runway would benefit from the better photo-backdrops in Skyrim.

[quote name='asheskitty']
We need a mash-up. I need better fashion accessories in Skyrim. Mission Runway would benefit from the better photo-backdrops in Skyrim.[/QUOTE]

Or ENB series.

Seriously.

Lighting is everything. Fashion models of all people should know that.

[quote name='Motoki']I agree 100%. I would also add that the Steam Workshop is still relatively new and is somewhat of a work in progress. There already have been a number of changes (for the better imho) since its inception and if modders are finding parts of it they don't like I think they should try and share that feedback with Valve rather than taking their toys to another sandbox.

Then again there are always going to be some modders who tend towards divaism. There has been so much drama in the ES modding community over the years it is not even funny.[/QUOTE]

The Workshop is great for TF2 or KF, but sorry, it is ass for Skyrim. So many mods for Skyrim have dependencies, or order loading issues, or compatibility issues with other mods. The Workshop does nothing to help with this. All it provides is "set it and forget" downloading. NMM does that plus a whole lot more. And it is laughable that you think that modders are taking their mods to another sandbox. You do realize that NMM has been around for a while and the Nexus site has been hosting mods for eons. It is really Steam that is the one that should be doing its best to cater to quality modders, because its product is vastly inferior and doesn't have the lengthy history. Lastly, if a user is too stupid to download, install, and use NMM then they should probably just throw their PC out the window and stick to a dumbox360.

[quote name='travathian']The Workshop is great for TF2 or KF, but sorry, it is ass for Skyrim. So many mods for Skyrim have dependencies, or order loading issues, or compatibility issues with other mods. The Workshop does nothing to help with this. All it provides is "set it and forget" downloading. NMM does that plus a whole lot more. And it is laughable that you think that modders are taking their mods to another sandbox. You do realize that NMM has been around for a while and the Nexus site has been hosting mods for eons. It is really Steam that is the one that should be doing its best to cater to quality modders, because its product is vastly inferior and doesn't have the lengthy history. Lastly, if a user is too stupid to download, install, and use NMM then they should probably just throw their PC out the window and stick to a dumbox360.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your opinion.

[quote name='Syntax Error']That's not entirely true. Tony has mentioned many times that he is negotiating a sale with a particular publisher and times that a publisher has backed out (Activision) or decided not to run a sale again (SE). Or that a sale was really popular so the publisher was excited to try a different bundle. They don't just buy a pile of keys at wholesale and sell them at a loss; they do much the same thing as Steam does in working out pricing with the publishers.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok, so then the publishers are taking losses for Steam keys.(?)

Still though, Amazon charges me tax whereas GMG and Steam do not so whenever they (Amazon) price match it's ultimately costing me more. They have to beat them enough to negate the tax before I'll bite.

So I was still able to order the Bethesda collection from GG because it was sitting in my account. I just gifted it to myself but I am assuming nothing shows up when I click on it because they are out of keys? Never used gamersgate before.

I have an idea. In the spirit of holiday avatars, for the new year everyone should make a Mission Runway avatar!

No...

Anybody here?

I'll show myself out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back