The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='n4styn4t3']Man, I know it's stupid as fuck but I really wish Steam achievements were like 360. Some kind of score meta-game. ...[/QUOTE]
I rather like the fact that there's no metagame involved with their achievement system. Gamescore on the 360 & PS3 reflects more on the number of games a person has played, rather than being a reliable measure of skill. IMHO it's far more impressive to see someone who has 100%ed a single difficult game rather than complete 10 or 20 easy games.

It's getting hard to remember when I was excited by a Steam sale. Last year's lethal coal debacle; lame Summer, Fall and now Christmas sales. Just terrible, terrible, terrible. The only good deals are for those just now joining the ranks of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race and needed an inexpensive jump-start to their collections. A friend gifted me some credit into my Steam wallet and even for free, there's no deals.

[quote name='Thrinn']I rather like the fact that there's no metagame involved with their achievement system. Gamescore on the 360 & PS3 reflects more on the number of games a person has played, rather than being a reliable measure of skill. IMHO it's far more impressive to see someone who has 100%ed a single difficult game rather than complete 10 or 20 easy games.[/QUOTE]

I have a completely different standard. I'm more impressed by people who have completed a bunch of games than someone who has finished one hard one, especially in the age of the internet. I had a buddy finish Dark Souls, and bragged about it to no end, but he watched YouTube videos for every major boss battle, so what did he personally accomplish? I think my 50k gamerscore means bunk, but my 182 games beaten, I'm proud of that.

This is completely ignoring the fact that it's kind of tragic to be proud of your gamerscore or the amount of games you've beaten. I'm just voicing my opinion.

[quote name='DirkBelig']It's getting hard to remember when I was excited by a Steam sale. Last year's lethal coal debacle; lame Summer, Fall and now Christmas sales. Just terrible, terrible, terrible. The only good deals are for those just now joining the ranks of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race and needed an inexpensive jump-start to their collections. A friend gifted me some credit into my Steam wallet and even for free, there's no deals.[/QUOTE]

According to Steam I have 1350 games now and have still managed to find deals I was interested in this sale, and every sale in the past. Everyone needs to stop whining.

[quote name='Broken Cage']Own everything but GTA4 on PC. There was some bundle sale a while ago, but I could never get GTA1 to work.

And while I'm eating dinner and we're derailing the thread with modeling pictures... How neat do you guys keep your Steam library? I'm a little OCD with mine.

steamlibrary.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Try the free version of GTA1 from rockstar. I've heard of people who could run that but not the steam version.

Not enough categories.

[quote name='Motoki']With the caveat that there are still a couple of always online games like Settlers 7 and HAWX 2 I believe.

Also running some games in offline mode may lose you access to certain extra modes and items and such. I know M&M Heroes 6 and Anno 2070 is like this. I think for AC though you just lose Ubi achievments so eh.

Those I suppose you can rack up enough credits with those to get DLC for free so there's that.

But anyway yeah it's not as bad as it used to be. You do need to make sure you do the initial activation though because those UPlay servers have been known to go down some times and if you haven't run it at least once and happen to want to start when their servers are down (it's rare but it happened to me once) then you will be out of luck.[/QUOTE]

I think Anno 2070 too. Once you've run AC2/ACB/ACR the first time, if the Uplay servers are down you can still play singleplayer. The only caveat is that you won't receive Uplay achievements/points. I've played while Uplay servers were down. You don't need to do anything to get it to work in offline mode.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']I can't sort by genre because my inner ADD and OCD collide at the speed of light. So, I just launch everything from Windows and let the clients sit in the background.

Still need to update with my newer purchases...

gamesicons.png
[/QUOTE]

I'm considering going back to the old shortcut icons method. Setting categories in Steam is just painful for mass edits.

[quote name='tham1988']is it weird that i think hearthfire sound more interesting than dawnguard?[/QUOTE]

Not at all. (Skyrim noob here, finally got it at GG.) Hearthfire for $2.50 lets you build some extra houses that act as fast travel points and can consolidate crafting -- useful stuff with a whole playthrough ahead of you. Also it's $2.50, so at 75% it'll drop a whole $1.25. The Vampire one you can do at any time (@ lv10+) and costs four times as much.

[quote name='tham1988']is anyone starting to think that they just buy games quicker than they are made and that's why they can't find anything to buy?[/QUOTE]

(Inception horn)

[quote name='Genocidal']According to Steam I have 1350 games now and have still managed to find deals I was interested in this sale, and every sale in the past. Everyone needs to stop whining.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, over 2k games here and still managed to spend around $200 so far. However, I do agree that each subsequent sale brings diminishing returns. This Winter Sale, so far, has been lacking in terms of deep price cuts. This time around, I'm seeing fewer 75% and more 50% and 66%. Furthermore, it seems that every other major distributor is offering better prices with combined coupon codes, vouchers, etc. This didn't really happen last year.

[quote name='tham1988']is it weird that i think hearthfire sound more interesting than dawnguard?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. Then again I like The Sims and Coconut Queen so... :cool:

[quote name='Genocidal']According to Steam I have 1350 games now and have still managed to find deals I was interested in this sale, and every sale in the past. Everyone needs to stop whining.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Every sale is not for everyone but the whining is getting to be a bit much. If you don't like this sale find another one elsewhere or wait for a different one later or, you know, play a game you already have.

Lots of people are happy with it and Valve is doing well so just because they don't cater to us doesn't mean the sale sucks. If people are happy to get a game for 50% off or 33% off or whatever so be it.

There's always going to be something cheaper somewhere else but I'm not going to stress over it. I just don't think it's the most productive thing to do to constantly complain about how terrible a sale is over and over. The world doesn't revolve around each of us and what we all want.

/rant

[quote name='Arben']Hey Motoki, or whomever has some insight on that groupees sale - are any of those single games worth the 75 cents? Any recommendations of the bunch? Why is La Mulana exciting?[/QUOTE]

It's an old school throw back to some NES/SNES style games with great retro music. It can be a bit tough but I like it so far.

As for the other games, unsurprisingly I haven't play them extensively. :p Eh, it's 75 cents for 3 free games (Underrail was just added as another bonus). Do we really need to analyze to death how we spend 75 cents? *shrug*

Maybe I am just not CAG enough because I don't scrutinize purchases under a certain amount.

Similarly, as my Steam Gift inventory grows, there's fewer games to hit that magical 75% off. Thankfully every sale gives me a few surprises....

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Categories... that's the only way. But even then, it's not enough.
58j6o.png
[/QUOTE]

Damn, I was gonna use the excuse of not using categories because of the size of my library. but if AO does it...

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Man, I know it's stupid as fuck but I really wish Steam achievements were like 360. Some kind of score meta-game. Or easier to compare with friends or something.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MSI Magus']I wish they would do like a graph or something. I think it would be cool when you clicked achievements if it should you several that let you know your ranking. So for instance the first could show where you rank against ALL other steam members for total achievements, another shows for the % you achieved for each game you have played etc etc. Kind of like when you are a kid and the Dr tells you that you are in the top ninty percentile for your height.

A real epeen measurer, you would know how you rank in multiple ways both against friends and the steam community at large.[/QUOTE]

As I posted before, there are a ton of third-party sites where you can size up your e-peen against other Steam achievement whores. Each one does it a little differently and some include the kinda comparisons youse guise are talking about.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I have a completely different standard. I'm more impressed by people who have completed a bunch of games than someone who has finished one hard one, especially in the age of the internet. I had a buddy finish Dark Souls, and bragged about it to no end, but he watched YouTube videos for every major boss battle, so what did he personally accomplish? I think my 50k gamerscore means bunk, but my 182 games beaten, I'm proud of that.

This is completely ignoring the fact that it's kind of tragic to be proud of your gamerscore or the amount of games you've beaten. I'm just voicing my opinion.
[/QUOTE]

I can completely respect that stance. Perhaps using a game's difficulty as an example was a poor choice on my part.

I must admit that in the past I've been guilty of playing some truly awful games just for their easy achievements. I quickly realized that approach only managed to turn my hobby into a chore.

[quote name='asheskitty']No. AC2 onwards all require Uplay. Uplay is no longer the always online nightmare it used to be. Now it is one-time verification for most titles. Don't let Uplay stop you from enjoying AC2, ACB, & ACR.[/QUOTE]

Ah alright, thanks for the info! I was trying to avoid all games that require DRM other than Steam after EA introduced Origin, but now I think I'm just gonna avoid strictly Origin.

[quote name='Genocidal']According to Steam I have 1350 games now and have still managed to find deals I was interested in this sale, and every sale in the past. Everyone needs to stop whining.[/QUOTE][quote name='anarchyoblivion']Agreed, over 2k games here and still managed to spend around $200 so far. [/QUOTE]I'll bet both of you have completed more than 5%, maybe 10%, of those games. You just buy them and buy them and buy them and they crank up your game count as if anyone should be impressed by the amounts of disposable income you have. Congrats, guys, you have a lot of money to spend. Those combined 3400 games and $10 will get both of you coffee from Starbucks, too.

I've got 117 games in my collection - Humble bundles REALLY pad out the numbers with all the DLC - and have beaten about a dozen of them, but several were on console like Braid and Mass Effect, but they got rebought as parts of bundles, etc., so my percentage is even lower. My backlog is sick and shows little sign of improving either. I'm sure I could add a zillion more unplayed titles to my list, too, but why?

[quote name='forthenguyen']Ah alright, thanks for the info! I was trying to avoid all games that require DRM other than Steam after EA introduced Origin, but now I think I'm just gonna avoid strictly Origin.[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with Origin DRM? Hell Origin DRM is better than Steam DRM since at least Origin has a working offline mode. I've also noticed the Origin client is slicker and faster than Steam's, but it only has a tiny fraction of Steam's features (twitch.tv steaming is a pretty cool feature for Origin though)

[quote name='DirkBelig']I'll bet both of you have completed more than 5%, maybe 10%, of those games. You just buy them and buy them and buy them and they crank up your game count as if anyone should be impressed by the amounts of disposable income you have. Congrats, guys, you have a lot of money to spend. Those combined 3400 games and $10 will get both of you coffee from Starbucks, too.

I've got 117 games in my collection - Humble bundles REALLY pad out the numbers with all the DLC - and have beaten about a dozen of them, but several were on console like Braid and Mass Effect, but they got rebought as parts of bundles, etc., so my percentage is even lower. My backlog is sick and shows little sign of improving either. I'm sure I could add a zillion more unplayed titles to my list, too, but why?[/QUOTE]

Someone sounds a tad bit jealous. But in all honesty, its just fun collecting games, and its hard to resist a good discount.

[quote name='DirkBelig']I'll bet both of you have completed more than 5%, maybe 10%, of those games. [/QUOTE]

In fairness, using those numbers, that's still 70 - 200+ games completed. Not too shabby if you're going to generalize.

Had Half Minute Hero sitting in my cart staring at it for the last 2 min before it was about to expire as a flash deal, bought it glad I did game is a blast. Although I wish I never got rid of my wired xbox controller.
First buy of the sale.

[quote name='Thrinn']I must admit that in the past I've been guilty of playing some truly awful games just for their easy achievements. I quickly realized that approach only managed to turn my hobby into a chore.[/QUOTE]It took me 3 years and 8 months to hit 10,000 Cheevopoints and that was exactly 3 years and one week ago. I'm 28 pts. shy of 15K now, so if I put in a little time tomorrow, I should crack that barrier. I'm obviously not doing The Last Airbender easy 1000 pts route. I'm a slow, infrequent, and rather mediocre gamer, but I'm EARNING my Cheevopoints the hard way, for sure.

But yeah, Steam is basically devolving into the 'DRM platform' of choice. Customer service wise they have always been poor. And now sales wise they are getting destroyed by Amazon, GG, etc.

Like I said earlier, eventually we should change this thread title to: Games That Activate on Steam Deal Thread.

[quote name='DirkBelig']It took me 3 years and 8 months to hit 10,000 Cheevopoints and that was exactly 3 years and one week ago. I'm 28 pts. shy of 15K now, so if I put in a little time tomorrow, I should crack that barrier. I'm obviously not doing The Last Airbender easy 1000 pts route. I'm a slow, infrequent, and rather mediocre gamer, but I'm EARNING my Cheevopoints the hard way, for sure.[/QUOTE]
I used to me a major achievement hoe renting, borrowing, finding glitches. Didnt take me long to hit 50k now I just dont care. However I would like to get my gamerscore to 66666 :p

[quote name='MrPiggles']What's wrong with Origin DRM? Hell Origin DRM is better than Steam DRM since at least Origin has a working offline mode.[/QUOTE]

For me, at least, my desktop is always connected to the internet, but doesn't Steam also have an offline mode? I just don't like EA's initial motive for the starting platform, and how buggy it was when it started and all the privacy issues, too. Also, again for me, I don't like how even though they were doing completely fine before on Steam which every other publisher uses, they had go off and start their own platform and keep games like BF3 exclusive to it. It's more of a boycott for the sake of making a statement than anything else. I would say I'm making a sort of double standard going with other games that require different DRM, but EA's made themselves dislikable in my eyes in other ways, too, so I'm not as tolerant of it.

Merry christmas all, good evening.

Bah. just saw the lackluster sale on spec ops, which I was hoping to get this sale. 75 or bust!

[quote name='Mooby']Origin is the devil.[/QUOTE]

I've been playing KOA: R on Origin and haven't experienced any wickedness.

[quote name='Mooby']But yeah, Steam is basically devolving into the 'DRM platform' of choice. Customer service wise they have always been poor. And now sales wise they are getting destroyed by Amazon, GG, etc.

Like I said earlier, eventually we should change this thread title to: Games That Activate on Steam Deal Thread.[/QUOTE]

I fully support this move. I can barely keep up with this thread let alone the GG, GMG, Bundle threads, and Amazon thread. I'd miss the deals in those threads if kind CAGS didn't mention them here.

[quote name='Mooby']But yeah, Steam is basically devolving into the 'DRM platform' of choice. Customer service wise they have always been poor. And now sales wise they are getting destroyed by Amazon, GG, etc.

Like I said earlier, eventually we should change this thread title to: Games That Activate on Steam Deal Thread.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

[quote name='DirkBelig']I'll bet both of you have completed more than 5%, maybe 10%, of those games. You just buy them and buy them and buy them and they crank up your game count as if anyone should be impressed by the amounts of disposable income you have. Congrats, guys, you have a lot of money to spend. Those combined 3400 games and $10 will get both of you coffee from Starbucks, too.

I've got 117 games in my collection - Humble bundles REALLY pad out the numbers with all the DLC - and have beaten about a dozen of them, but several were on console like Braid and Mass Effect, but they got rebought as parts of bundles, etc., so my percentage is even lower. My backlog is sick and shows little sign of improving either. I'm sure I could add a zillion more unplayed titles to my list, too, but why?[/QUOTE]

I fail to see your point. We never complained about having a large backlog or complained about never finishing our backlogs. Collecting games is a hobby of mine - a very inexpensive hobby when compared to other things out there. Other people have massive movie collections with no intention of ever re-watching anything. People collect for the sake of collecting, it's the means to the end that matters, not the end itself.

[quote name='MrPiggles']Someone sounds a tad bit jealous. But in all honesty, its just fun collecting games, and its hard to resist a good discount.[/QUOTE]Get your ears checked. I'm not jealous; I'm laughing at the ridiculous e-peen waving of accumulated UNPLAYED games people are boasting about. "Check me out, I've got 2000 games on my list! I'm so l337! No, I haven't played them. SHUT UP!!!! U jelly bro?!? lulz" Yeah, chicks dig guys with a couple of thousand unplayed videogames.

[quote name='Frithsblessing']I've been playing KOA: R on Origin and haven't experienced any wickedness.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing. It's insidious! A silent killer! Twenty years from now it'll manifest itself and spring out of your belly, consuming you whole!

[quote name='DirkBelig']It took me 3 years and 8 months to hit 10,000 Cheevopoints and that was exactly 3 years and one week ago. I'm 28 pts. shy of 15K now, so if I put in a little time tomorrow, I should crack that barrier. I'm obviously not doing The Last Airbender easy 1000 pts route. I'm a slow, infrequent, and rather mediocre gamer, but I'm EARNING my Cheevopoints the hard way, for sure.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DirkBelig']Get your ears checked. I'm not jealous; I'm laughing at the ridiculous e-peen waving of accumulated UNPLAYED games people are boasting about. "Check me out, I've got 2000 games on my list! I'm so l337! No, I haven't played them. SHUT UP!!!! U jelly bro?!? lulz" Yeah, chicks dig guys with a couple of thousand unplayed videogames.[/QUOTE]

Um...OK.

Ill second that.

[quote name='DirkBelig']Get your ears checked. I'm not jealous; I'm laughing at the ridiculous e-peen waving of accumulated UNPLAYED games people are boasting about. "Check me out, I've got 2000 games on my list! I'm so l337! No, I haven't played them. SHUT UP!!!! U jelly bro?!? lulz" Yeah, chicks dig guys with a couple of thousand unplayed videogames.[/QUOTE]
DUDE YOU GOT 2000 games!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG WILL YOU BE MY FRIEND!! Dude your right I am so jelly of you! You are the 1337357 of them all!:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

I don't really see where so much of the bandwagon hate for Origin comes from. While EA does have some pretty shady business practices, its also been proven that the "Origin is spyware" rant is BS. Origin does a bunch of things better than Steam, it has a better, working offline mode, it has a better messaging system (you can msg offline users), it was the first to allow you to select your install location (miracle for SSD users), it has a smoother, faster interface than Steam's, it gives you automatic backup copies for EA games you have installed, and it offers twitch.tv streaming. While at the end of the day I still prefer Steam over Origin since Steam's client has more features and better sales, but I don't really see where all of the hate comes from besides generic bandwagon "hurr durr EA" hate.

Your jealousy really is starting to show now. You're just digging yourself a deeper and deeper hole.

You seem like you could use a nap.

[quote name='bob_793']Ill second that.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The best deals I have gotten so far haven't even been from Steam. :/

[quote name='MrPiggles']I don't really see where so much of the bandwagon hate for Origin comes from. While EA does have some pretty shady business practices, its also been proven that the "Origin is spyware" rant is BS. Origin does a bunch of things better than Steam, it has a better, working offline mode, it has a better messaging system (you can msg offline users), it was the first to allow you to select your install location (miracle for SSD users), it has a smoother, faster interface than Steam's, it gives you automatic backup copies for EA games you have installed, and it offers twitch.tv streaming. While at the end of the day I still prefer Steam over Origin since Steam's client has more features and better sales, I don't really see where do much of the hate comes from besides generic bandwagon "hurr durr EA" hate.[/QUOTE]

I can only speak for myself but... while I acknowledge Valve has gotten pretty lackluster in terms of service with Steam I'd ultimately rather give my money to a guy like Gabe Newell than EA -- a company that is a mere shadow of its former self way back in the 80's when they put developers first. Again, just my personal opinion but 90% or more of what EA puts out today is crap... or at least genres and games I have zero interest in playing. Not that Valve produces anything ground breaking but... on the average... I'd rather go with Valve.

I'm happy now that KOTOR 2's in my library. Been waiting for that baby! My first purchase (for myself) of the steam winter sale (not counting GG's besthesda most awesome screwup ever).

Eying that Rayman....why does it have to be 10 bucks sighs.

[quote name='MrPiggles']I don't really see where so much of the bandwagon hate for Origin comes from. While EA does have some pretty shady business practices, its also been proven that the "Origin is spyware" rant is BS. Origin does a bunch of things better than Steam, it has a better, working offline mode, it has a better messaging system (you can msg offline users), it was the first to allow you to select your install location (miracle for SSD users), it has a smoother, faster interface than Steam's, it gives you automatic backup copies for EA games you have installed, and it offers twitch.tv streaming. While at the end of the day I still prefer Steam over Origin since Steam's client has more features and better sales, but I don't really see where all of the hate comes from besides generic bandwagon "hurr durr EA" hate.
[/QUOTE]

I've got no problem with the Origin client, but outside of activating EA games there, it's not a platform that I want to start a collection on, largely because their sales are usually laughable. If I'm never going to utilize Origin outside of EA games, then I find it unnecessary but largely inoffensive - similar to my feelings about Uplay.

After Steam I think Gamefly's client might be my favorite, though I'd really like it if GOG had something on that level (as an optional program for organizational purposes - not as DRM).

[quote name='Mooby']I can only speak for myself but... while I acknowledge Valve has gotten pretty lackluster in terms of service with Steam I'd ultimately rather give my money to a guy like Gabe Newell than EA -- a company that is a mere shadow of its former self way back in the 80's when they put developers first. Again, just my personal opinion but 90% or more of what EA puts out today is crap... or at least genres and games I have zero interest in playing. Not that Valve produces anything ground breaking but... on the average... I'd rather go with Valve.[/QUOTE]

Valve is slowly getting a bit more... eccentric with their client. They're focusing so much on stuff like "Big Picture" mode and linux compatibility while ignoring the millions of smaller complaints (it took them several years just to add something like volume control to videos, and it took Origin for them to finally allow you to change your installation location.) They've focused too much on the big picture that they're ignoring the smaller pictures that should be fixed first.

I also really hate their support team. Takes forever to get a response on their dated ticket system, and they're pretty unhelpful most of the time.

[quote name='Mooby']Been a long time since EA published consistently good stuff such as...

1056055762-00.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What was your entry drug to EA? Mine was:

DPVBoxArt.png

Well, the original version at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back