The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mooby']
225px-Mule_box.jpg
[/QUOTE]
The M.U.L.E. theme is my ringtone.

I believe this is the point when I yell at all of you to get off my lawn.

Just picked up both the SW:KotoR games. Saw the post on mods for KotoR 2. Cant wait :D

Unlike most of here...being mostly a PC noob. I'm enjoying the discounts between Amazon/GG/Steam. I'm bought a ton of games this week :D

[quote name='Wapcaplet']The M.U.L.E. theme is my ringtone.

I believe this is the point when I yell at all of you to get off my lawn.[/QUOTE]

In my day, we had text based games.....and we were illiterate!

[quote name='sunghost']Exactly. Everyone I know that had any interest in Tomb Raider has them (the "old" games) by now.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='KaOTiK']Yeah, I'm a bit pissed that they aren't offering a pack of the classics when they know a ton of people already own at least one or more of the 3 that have been on Steam. If they had just a classic pack for $10 I'd buy it, hell I would even buy the pack they are offering now if they gave me extra copies of the 3 I own but they don't so I am not buying any of them.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with this.

Anyone who had a post in the last 10 pages both condemning the sale and posting something nice about the Tomb Raider sale should get a temp ban!

Whatever. I think it's weird they didn't include Guardian of Light despite it not being an actual TR game.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Anyone who had a post in the last 10 pages both condemning the sale and posting something nice about the Tomb Raider sale should get a temp ban!

Whatever. I think it's weird they didn't include Guardian of Light despite it not being an actual TR game.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm slightly bummed in principle that I bought the big whole enchilda Squeidos pack last year and now I can't get the moldy crusty 90s DOS Tomb Raiders on sale for cheaper than it costs to rebuy the whole Tomb Raider pack including the newer stuff I already own but OTOH realistically I know I will never play the moldy crusty 90s DOS Tomb Raiders.

Would be nice if the legacy of Kain games would get a steeper discount, but since they were added so recently I doubt it will happen. Probably last day purchases for me.

[quote name='Terlan']Would be nice if the legacy of Kain games would get a steeper discount, but since they were added so recently I doubt it will happen. Probably last day purchases for me.[/QUOTE]

50% off right now, not sure what is good since its new.. I am interested too since I played the shit out of them on PS2 and PS1 :cool:

Gamersgate has those Legacy of Kain games there too and they are also 50% off. They are doing their whole buy 4 games get the cheapest free thing now too but oddly they list Legacy of Kain: Defiance as Steamworks but the two Soul Reaver games as DRM free.

About the Tomb Raider bundle, I'm actually only interested in the 3 that were on Steam for a while (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld) so if anyone buys the pack as a gift, if it a single key for all of them or individual? If individual I would be interested in buying the three above for $5.

[quote name='Genocidal']Pretty much this. Some people drop a few hundred on a night at the bar, or 500+ going to a sporting event. For that money, I can grab a few dozen games on Steam. If I'm ever in the mood for a certain game or type of game, I've got the option to play them. I don't think I'm as hardcore of a collector as anarchy; I only buy stuff I think I have at least a slight interest in playing and try to keep my impulse buys at $5 or less, so there are a lot of RTS and things like Sniper Elite that have had great deals in the past that I haven't bit on.[/QUOTE]You know, when you explain it like this, I totally understand where you're coming from to an extent. I've got a lot of

[quote name='Motoki']Well I'm slightly bummed in principle that I bought the big whole enchilda Squeidos pack last year and now I can't get the moldy crusty 90s DOS Tomb Raiders on sale for cheaper than it costs to rebuy the whole Tomb Raider pack including the newer stuff I already own but OTOH realistically I know I will never play the moldy crusty 90s DOS Tomb Raiders.[/QUOTE]

This is what's keeping me from buying the pack (well, that and having no money :) ). I think it's a great deal, especially since I have none of the games, but when would I ever play the classic ones? I'd also prefer to get a gargantuan COMPLETE Square-Enix-Eidos pack, though it would have to be at a crazy price for me to buy it.

[quote name='Motoki']Gamersgate has those Legacy of Kain games there too and they are also 50% off. They are doing their whole buy 4 games get the cheapest free thing now too but oddly they list Legacy of Kain: Defiance as Steamworks but the two Soul Reaver games as DRM free.[/QUOTE]
Odd, if they were all steam works I'd grab them there. Hmm if anyone grabs them do let us know if they all turn out to be steamworks.

[quote name='Terlan']Odd, if they were all steam works I'd grab them there. Hmm if anyone grabs them do let us know if they all turn out to be steamworks.[/QUOTE]

I can't imagine they got their info wrong. With their clientele if they marked something as DRM free and gave them Steamworks they would go into a huge EURORAGE and get out the pitchforks.

I'll see if I can dig around and see what I can find but I'm too afraid to actually buy them and get stuck with DRM free which would fall into my black hole abyss of clientless games never to be seen again.

OK, So I already had Underworld, Anniversary, and Legend, so I added everything else to my cart, only to find that the rest only cost $0.06 cheaper than buying the whole collection again. So do I buy the games separate and relish that my CAGness has saved me 6 cent. Or do I just hit the bundle for bundles sake?

My buddy has sent me his GOG versions of Soul Reaver, Soul Reaver 2, and the Tomb Raider 1, 2, and 3 collection so I'm testing them for oddities and setting-up xpadder profiles where needed.

Soul Reaver is only 16-bit but it does support a ton of resolutions. (1920x1080 here) It absolutely requires xpadder for a 360 pad and the in-game controls need to be set to keyboard or Raziel just runs in circles.

Windows 8 64-bit btw...about to test Tomb Raider 1 as that's the other supposed problem child.

edit: Tomb Raider 1 is a complete mess on a 360 pad. Trying editing DOSBox config files and such but it is not controller friendly.
edit2: Got em sorted.

Soul Reaver
;----------------------
; Xpadder Profile File
;----------------------

Version=5.7

[Profile Settings]

[Set Settings]

[Assignments]
Set1Button1Slots=Space
Set1Button2Slots=D
Set1Button3Slots=A
Set1Button4Slots=F
Set1Button5Slots=C
Set1Button6Slots=S
Set1Button7Slots=Enter
Set1Button8Slots=Escape
Set1DPadUpSlots=Arrow Up
Set1DPadRightSlots=Arrow Right
Set1DPadDownSlots=Arrow Down
Set1DPadLeftSlots=Arrow Left
Set1Stick1UpSlots=Arrow Up
Set1Stick1RightSlots=Arrow Right
Set1Stick1DownSlots=Arrow Down
Set1Stick1LeftSlots=Arrow Left
Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Right Control
Set1TriggerRightSlots=NumPad 0

Tomb Raider 1
;----------------------
; Xpadder Profile File
;----------------------

Version=5.7

[Profile Settings]

[Set Settings]

[Assignments]
Set1Button1Slots=Left Control
Set1Button2Slots=End
Set1Button3Slots=Alt
Set1Button4Slots=Space
Set1Button5Slots=NumPad 0
Set1Button6Slots=Right Shift
Set1Button8Slots=Escape
Set1DPadUpSlots=Arrow Up
Set1DPadRightSlots=Arrow Right
Set1DPadDownSlots=Arrow Down
Set1DPadLeftSlots=Arrow Left
Set1Stick1UpSlots=Arrow Up
Set1Stick1RightSlots=Arrow Right
Set1Stick1DownSlots=Arrow Down
Set1Stick1LeftSlots=Arrow Left
Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Delete
Set1TriggerRightSlots=Page Down
You'll also need to find the 'dosboxTR.conf' file and set 'joysticktype=none'.

I bought the Tomb Raider pack even though I already owned Anniversary. I have memories of playing the TR3 demo on my old IBM. Tank controls here I come!

If I already have three of the Tomb Raider games is it possible to piece them out and trade them? My gift inventory only has the big collection rather than the individual pieces.

[quote name='CaptainSlow']If I already have three of the Tomb Raider games is it possible to piece them out and trade them? My gift inventory only has the big collection rather than the individual pieces.[/QUOTE]

No, the majority of bundles on Steam do not give you gift copies if you already have the game in your library. They are just lost forever. It will state on the page if you will receive gift copies

Was thinking maybe there would be a nice Black Ops bundle, always wanted to try the "new" CoD,... but seriously? $20 for a two year old game? That comes out every year?

[quote name='kataztrophik']No, the majority of bundles on Steam do not give you gift copies if you already have the game in your library. They are just lost forever. It will state on the page if you will receive gift copies[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

[quote name='CaptainSlow']If I already have three of the Tomb Raider games is it possible to piece them out and trade them? My gift inventory only has the big collection rather than the individual pieces.[/QUOTE]

I guess that also answers my question, you can't gift individual games out of the bundle.

Oh, and I post this every year. And yes, I wrote it too :cool:

=========================================

‘Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the Steam
Every Gamer was stirring, their eyes all a gleam;
The PCs were all primed by the desk with care,
In hopes that ‘Ol Gabe Newell would soon be there;

a73.jpg

The fanboys and trolls were all milling about,
‘DRM!’ and things they would proclaim and shout;
And the girlfriends did laugh ‘what utter bullcrap’,
Went to settled down for a long winter’s nap,

When on the desktop did my tracker loud wail,
I sprang to the chair to see the grand new sale
Away I sent windows, I moused in a flash,
Tore open my wallet and drew out my cash;

The sales on the games, new prices did they now show,
Under my budget, I thought, they must be below ;
When, what to my eyes did happen in a flash,
The screen went blank, did my computer just crash?

With nasty old drivers, so plodding and slow,
I knew just now, NVIDIA must I go;
But faster than a blink an image had came,
A movie had started, proclaiming my name!

“Now good sir, please do stay awhile and listen,
On your wish list, the new games, they do glisten!”
“Scroll to the top and see”, it said with a ‘lol’~!
“MYGOODNESS!”I exclaimed, I had got them all!

I leapt from my desk jumping high from the floor,
Dancing around my office, laughing and more!
For in just a small while, there would soon be proof,
“I must focus now!” I stated still aloof;

As I stared at the screen, a face did appear,
Gabe Newell! Just the man did I want to hear;
A bundle of games he crammed into my list,
So happy I was, his face I could have kissed!

His eyes — how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up in bow,
And even his glasses did sparkle and glow,

The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath;
He had a broad face and a little round belly,
That shook, when he laughed like a bowlful of jelly.

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
He presents me a copy of Left 4 Dead.

But the image did fade, from my desk I rose,
Paper stuck to my face, a pen in my nose;
I opened my list and to much of my shame,
Nothing new had been given, not a single game;

It seemed as if it had all been but a dream ,
I guess I had spent too much time here on Steam;
Hitting F5, I’ll say with merry delight,
“Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night.”

Enjoy your family, friends, and cheap games tomorrow.

[quote name='DirkBelig']You know, when you explain it like this, I totally understand where you're coming from to an extent. I've got a lot of

[quote name='Blade']Remember that the Dreamcast Pack is going to be $4.99 on Amazon starting tomorrow. Consists of: Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, SEGA Bass Fishing, Sonic Adventure DX, and Space Channel 5 Part 2. All games activate on Steam, AND you get $5 promotional credit towards any downloadable games in January. So it's basically free![/QUOTE]

Yeah big stretch there. It only works on the Editor's Choice 2012 List. Calling it free would be a mishap...

Well, Merry Christmas to everybody. I'm kinda new here, thanks for the tips and information provided to pay less for more. Proud to be a CAG :)

[quote name='soulkyo']Well, Merry Christmas to everybody. I'm kinda new here, thanks for the tips and information provided to pay less for more. Proud to be a CAG :)[/QUOTE]

Be wary of the day you go to buy a "good deal" on Steam and to find you already own it. ;)

The Binding of Isaac + Wrath of the Lamb
92FHF-EKI4C-3R62Q
Closure
BEI7M-ZTXVY-BMEBF
Shank 2
8Y4Z9-22JCF-8K2KB
Snapshot
A6ABA-NVE92-CBID4

I tried Tomb Raider Anniversary. *Motion Sick* -fast- Too bad too, I wanted to like it.

[quote name='Motoki']I can't imagine they got their info wrong. With their clientele if they marked something as DRM free and gave them Steamworks they would go into a huge EURORAGE and get out the pitchforks.
I'll see if I can dig around and see what I can find but I'm too afraid to actually buy them and get stuck with DRM free which would fall into my black hole abyss of clientless games never to be seen again.
[/QUOTE]

I've never seen GG get their DRM tag wrong. The closest annoyance is "DRM: Other"

[quote name='walkonshadows']OK, So I already had Underworld, Anniversary, and Legend, so I added everything else to my cart, only to find that the rest only cost $0.06 cheaper than buying the whole collection again. So do I buy the games separate and relish that my CAGness has saved me 6 cent. Or do I just hit the bundle for bundles sake?[/QUOTE]

Friends don't let friends feed Gabe.

[quote name='DarkGamer11']Voted Giana Sisters. Had not heard of this game until now but I'm actually pretty interested and may end up as an impulse buy[/QUOTE]

Ditto. The other two games had really bad reviews on their forums. As in, Towns forums suggest the game is incomplete and currently looking like the dev is unlikely to finish it (updates are slow and statements by the dev seem to imply they aren't really working very hard to add anything to it). Meanwhile Miner Wars 2081 has DRM that requires you be online at all times, including with SP. Eh. DRM like that does not deserve support.

So... Giana Sisters is the only one that looks great.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Ditto. The other two games had really bad reviews on their forums. As in, Towns forums suggest the game is incomplete and currently looking like the dev is unlikely to finish it (updates are slow and statements by the dev seem to imply they aren't really working very hard to add anything to it). Meanwhile Miner Wars 2081 has DRM that requires you be online at all times, including with SP. Eh. DRM like that does not deserve support.

So... Giana Sisters is the only one that looks great.[/QUOTE]

Its a really great game. I like it. You should check out the demo for Giana Sisters that is one steam too.

[quote name='kiwimonster']The Binding of Isaac + Wrath of the Lamb
92FHF-EKI4C-3R62Q
Closure
BEI7M-ZTXVY-BMEBF
Shank 2
8Y4Z9-22JCF-8K2KB
Snapshot
A6ABA-NVE92-CBID4
[/QUOTE]

THANKS!!!!!! :D this is literally the first time I’ve EVER managed to get one of this keys before those F-ing ninjas XD

So I ordered books from Gohastings. Instead of charging me simply $25, they put a 5 holds on my account for $25. 5 being how many books I ordered. Ugh. Hopefully I'm able to score Saints Row: The Third DLC after this is fixed. Sorry for my off topic post, just a little annoyed.

Reminder: Today is the only day you can get the Tisn't the Season achievement for Costume Quest. If anyone knows any other games with Christmas-specific achievements, feel free to post them!

[quote name='Genocidal']Some people drop a few hundred on a night at the bar, or 500+ going to a sporting event. For that money, I can grab a few dozen games on Steam. If I'm ever in the mood for a certain game or type of game, I've got the option to play them. I don't think I'm as hardcore of a collector as anarchy; I only buy stuff I think I have at least a slight interest in playing and try to keep my impulse buys at $5 or less, so there are a lot of RTS and things like Sniper Elite that have had great deals in the past that I haven't bit on.[/QUOTE]

Well put. I've spent roughly $30 this sale between Steam and Amazon. Not much, really. I've been choosy. Even so, it still feels a little silly since frankly, I have enough games in my backlog that I could keep myself occupied for quite a very long time if I chose to purchase nothing at all. That's not even counting just replaying old games, which I still sometimes do and enjoy.

So, why buy anything? Well, I guess because in the next few months, in the lull between sales, I'm at least likely to play the games I've bought. There's something about each purchase that does interest me. That, and the prices were currently at the point that I'm absolutely OK with paying it, regardless of when I get to playing it. I don't care if it drops another few bucks 9 months from now, but I like having the opportunity to play it available to me. That's basically what it is - an opportunity cost. If Steam's regular prices were this cheap, then yes, I'd probably just buy it immediately before playing it.

Some games stay in my backlog longer just because of the great franchise deals / packs. For example, I bit on the Dawn of War pack for $10. I've never played a DoW title, and I'd like to. Sometime in the coming weeks, I'll probably start up DoW 1. Am I going to play through all 7 titles back to back? Of course not. But the franchise pack was a far and above more sensible option than just buying one title, then spending pretty much the same amount for another next sale, then another, etc - or paying 2-3x that for a single title in the series at the normal price. I'll play the first, play another game, and then come back to the series another day.

So, I believe many of us here buy games "for the backlog" for the opportunity. That's certainly what it comes down to for me. When the cost is low enough, sometimes as low as free in the case of coupons or pack-ins, then the opportunity itself is of value to me. That's in addition to other reasons, like supporting the developers, charity with the Humble Bundles, etc.

[quote name='Mooby']Don't believe so -- good catch. 25% off.[/QUOTE]

Saw that earlier and was disappointed since youve been able to get it 30% off at GMG for at least a week.

**regarding borderlands 2 season pass

[quote name='Genocidal']Reminder: Today is the only day you can get the Tisn't the Season achievement for Costume Quest. If anyone knows any other games with Christmas-specific achievements, feel free to post them![/QUOTE]

[quote name='pantsattack']Play Cave Story+ today for delightful holiday treats.

Merry Christmas y'all, night.[/QUOTE]

Dammit, you guys are going to get me actually playing my games now.

In Psychonauts:

Christmas Shopping - Buy an item from the Camp Store on Christmas.

This reminds me I forgot to do the Political Machine achievement for winning on election day...

[quote name='Genocidal']Reminder: Today is the only day you can get the Tisn't the Season achievement for Costume Quest. If anyone knows any other games with Christmas-specific achievements, feel free to post them![/QUOTE]

Damn you, now I'm reinstalling the game just for that :lol:

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Damn you, now I'm reinstalling the game just for that :lol:[/QUOTE]

I just did, and got the glorious achievement while still on the main menu. Then I promptly exited the game :lol:

[quote name='Showstoppa42']In Psychonauts:

Christmas Shopping - Buy an item from the Camp Store on Christmas.[/QUOTE]

Really noob question. Psychonauts is still in my backlog. Do you need to be far in the game to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back