The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The End']100% chance that the DLC for Just Cause 2 will also get discounted. It's always discounted when it goes on sale.

I'm not sure what to vote for either. I already own all the options.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm just gonna go for just cause 2 since I don't have the dlc and it should be really cheap

[quote name='Bios Element']No, No, No, No, No. That game is too much even if they PAID you to play it. I got a copy before the reviews hit and well...go check out the reviews. :/[/QUOTE]
Eh, another game where the reviews are a shitty judge of the game. Is it great? No. Is it a total flaming turd like everyone makes it out to be? No.

Have it on the 360, and I had fun with it. I love the class customization, and the zombie shooting physics are in my opinion some of the best I've ever seen in a TPS. It's not for everyone, but it got way to harsh of reviews, mostly because everyone wanted a puzzle-y RE game, which is is clearly not (it's more of a GoW style TPS). I also thought the online play was pretty damn good, coming from an RE game...

That said, I'd wait for a base game price drop.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']tempted to finally buying deponia! its been in my wishlist for awhile. any other comments regarding the game?[/QUOTE]

i second this it looks interesting

[quote name='Idiotekque']Eh, another game where the reviews are a shitty judge of the game. Is it great? No. Is it a total flaming turd like everyone makes it out to be? No.

Have it on the 360, and I had fun with it. I love the class customization, and the zombie shooting physics are in my opinion some of the best I've ever seen in a TPS. It's not for everyone, but it got way to harsh of reviews, mostly because everyone wanted a puzzle-y RE game, which is is clearly not (it's more of a GoW style TPS). I also thought the online play was pretty damn good, coming from an RE game...

That said, I'd wait for a base game price drop.[/QUOTE]

I ordered it on the PS3 after demoing it and I agree. I don't know, seems overly criticizing games has become vogue. OMG Brink, ORC, DNF are like the worst game ever made!

[quote name='MC Kage']lmao mixed feelings still[/QUOTE]
IMO, it comes down to this: is it worth $1-$2 to you to take the risk ('cause that's probably what you'll get if you tried to sell it.)

[quote name='Terlan']Sorry to ask again but any thoughts on Tropico 4 modern times? Is it worth picking up?[/QUOTE]
I have no personal experience with it, but the general consensus in the posts that I've read is "yes, if you enjoy the game."

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I ordered it on the PS3 after demoing it and I agree. I don't know, seems overly criticizing games has become vogue. OMG Brink, ORC, DNF are like the worst game ever made![/QUOTE]

yes brink and operation raccoon city have redeeming qualities

Duke Nukem Forever
not so much

[quote name='Bios Element']No, No, No, No, No. That game is too much even if they PAID you to play it. I got a copy before the reviews hit and well...go check out the reviews. :/[/QUOTE]
The thing is, its a fun arcade game...for like $15. Sadly I bought it at $60 and its my biggest regret of the year, not because the game is bad, but because its short as hell and should be on Xbox live arcade not on the shelves as a full retail.

I dont get sim medevil... someone enlighten me so I can find a generous aussie to allow me to buy it.
edit: NVM found out you cant build a castle or a house so I lost all interest.

My weakness for cover shooters has RE: ORC Complete in my cart. The crap reviews aren't working as far as talking me off the ledge either. Must resist and wait for a cheaper price.

[quote name='Mike UFC']My weakness for cover shooters has RE: ORC Complete in my cart. The crap reviews aren't working as far as talking me off the ledge either. Must resist and wait for a cheaper price.[/QUOTE]

It's actually fun if you enjoy RE and want something that's a basic socom-esque shooter. Better than RE6 imo sadly ... however, 1/2 the story is not included, as you have to buy the DLC to play all except the first chapter of the STARS team campaign ... so that part is quite disappointing

for those on the fence im streamin RE: racoon, sometimes good to see if its worth it, words and reviews always suck.

I wish there was some way of knowing if The Secret World is going to go down to 50% off again. With it going free to play I'm not sure it will, since...it's their main income now.

[quote name='nategator']Wrong thread[/QUOTE]

I'm sitting here, like why the hell this dude didn't respond when they PM'ed the NBA 2K12.

Thanks Man

I remember getting Just Cause 2 early this year with a 5 dollar game voucher for 2.50. i got the wither enhanced edition with the voucher but it wasnt compatible with windows 7 so i havent played it

[quote name='Malibuz0r']Anyone know if Arma II will go lower elsewhere? Pretty sure steam won't drop it from 15$.[/QUOTE]

Amazon has it listed as an upcoming deal of the day on 12/29 so presumably it will be lower than the current $14.99, but since that current price is an obligatory price match to Steam's daily deal and not Amazon's own sale maybe not.

Also the Amazon version does not redeem on Steam if you care about that.

[quote name='Frithsblessing']Been busy at work all day- What sweet deals did I miss today?[/QUOTE]

Sims Medieval $2.19 in Australia. :p

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']f'ing A. The Sega Classics from Amazon are one entry with a bunch of DLC. I wanted 150 more game entries with a playing "Sonic 1" deal. Warning to others. Why the F are the ones on Steam separate but the amazon one is all lumped together.Now I will be playing "Sega Genesis and MegaDrive" instead of 150 different unique games. Poop.[/QUOTE]

They are exactly the same if bought on steam. I got Alex Kidd on Steamgifts as a giftable copy and, in my library, it is a DLC under sega genesis and megadrive classics.

I gotta say, Natural Selection 2 is really good. Takes a bit to get into figuring it all out, but man it is great. I was lucky to get a guy that was commander who was willing to teach a bunch of us rookies on his team, learned a lot and had a blast.

[quote name='Detruire']IMO, it comes down to this: is it worth $1-$2 to you to take the risk ('cause that's probably what you'll get if you tried to sell it.)[/QUOTE]

Lol I don't look at it like that entirely, I mean somebody else will probably enjoy it more the game, same goes with Doom.

Gonna end up using the 2K promo on The WTF Pack on Amazon, tho I have no interest in Darkness II.

[quote name='KaOTiK']I gotta say, Natural Selection 2 is really good. Takes a bit to get into figuring it all out, but man it is great. I was lucky to get a guy that was commander who was willing to teach a bunch of us rookies on his team, learned a lot and had a blast.[/QUOTE]

This. I'd highly recommend NS2. While I played the original mod, I think this makes for an awesome step forward.

Highly recommended.

[quote name='MC Kage']Lol I don't look at it like that enturely, I mean somebody else will probably enjoy it more the game, same goes with Doom.

Gonna end up using the 2K promo on The WTF Pack on Amazon, tho I have no interest in Darkness II.[/QUOTE]

oh oh
I'm interested in darkness 2
pmed

[quote name='Frithsblessing']I can live with missing that deal.[/QUOTE]
But you don't have to. ;)

[quote name='Motoki']Sims Medieval $2.19 in Australia. :razz:[/QUOTE]
My offer's still open.

[quote name='Idiotekque']So, Aussies don't like Medieval stuff?[/QUOTE]

It's before their time.

[quote name='walkonshadows']God, I would jump on Deponia, but it just SCREAMS indoe bundle to me. Talk me out of it.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it does, to me. Daedalic strikes me as closer to the Pendulo side of the point and click spectrum than the Wadjet Eye.

EDIT: I think it's important we start taking developers/publishers into account a little more when we talk about what is and isn't bundle fodder. It feels like now everyone assumes that every indie will be in a bundle, when there are certain publishers that simply don't have a track record to suggest that, even if their games may seem to have a similar style as those showing up in bundles.

[quote name='Eldredpe']It's before their time.

I don't know if it does, to me. Daedalic strikes me as closer to the Pendulo side of the point and click spectrum than the Wadjet Eye.

EDIT: I think it's important we start taking developers/publishers into account a little more when we talk about what is and isn't bundle fodder. It feels like now everyone assumes that every indie will be in a bundle, when there are certain publishers that simply don't have a track record to suggest that, even if their games may seem to have a similar style as those showing up in bundles.[/QUOTE]

Point taken. But Edna & Harvey was just in a bundle.

[quote name='walkonshadows']Point taken. But Edna & Harvey was just in a bundle.[/QUOTE]

I'm having some difficulty finding that.

Which bundle?

Edit: Looks like the first Edna & Harvey game was in one of the Indie Gala Store bundles, if that's what you mean?

I guess that counts, and the Whispered World was in it as well.

Seems like a weird fit for India Gala, but it's cool to see those guys have some sort of relationship with Daedalic.

Edit 2: Looks like both those games were published by Viva Media, whereas Daedalic's newer stuff seems to be self-published?

I'm only researching and updating this so much because this thread stopped moving. I promise!

Edit 3: It didn't even stop moving like I thought it had, I just forgot that after edit saves the thread doesn't automatically refresh.

God I feel ridiculous.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I'm having some difficulty finding that.

Which bundle?[/QUOTE]
It was in a bunch of games being sold on the Indie Gala Store (not in an IG bundle proper.)

[quote name='Detruire']It was in a bunch of games being sold on the Indie Gala Store (not in an IG bundle proper.)[/QUOTE]

That's what it was. I remembered it was in a bundle I decided not to buy, went looking and couldn't find it, but was 100% certain it was bundled. So I stand corrected.....kinda.

same here. i'm tempted to get Desponia, but the publisher does have a bundle but it usually isn't on sale as a whole. or should I just hold out next year? backlog is close to 200 game titles now...

[quote name='basis']same here. i'm tempted to get Desponia, but the publisher does have a bundle but it usually isn't on sale as a whole. or should I just hold out next year? backlog is close to 200 game titles now...[/QUOTE]

They got the first two Deponia's out quite quickly and it's part of a trilogy.

Perhaps by the Summer sale or next Winter sale there will be a Deponia trilogy bundle that gets a deeper discount than the publisher pack.

[quote name='walkonshadows']That's what it was. I remembered it was in a bundle I decided not to buy, went looking and couldn't find it, but was 100% certain it was bundled. So I stand corrected.....kinda.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, kinda. But it shows that the dev and/or publisher is happy to deal with IG, and it's not too far of a step from IGS to IG.

Deponia is one of those things that I'd rather support now and enable the developer to do more than wait and pick up when the trio is concluded. But if it's going to your backlog, you'd probably do better to wait until the third installment is out.

[quote name='Terlan']Glad to see Assassins creed won, and Just Cause 2 in last. Could seriously not have taken it if Just Cause 2 won.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't sure what to expect in that vote. All three were things that have been discounted to the end of the world and back in the past. Assassin's Creed, at least, gives the possibility of discounts on several related titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back